Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024. At that time, all logins will be disabled, but hosted sites will remain on RootsWeb as static content. Website owners wishing to maintain their sites must migrate to a different hosting provider before 2024 (More info)
History of Conestoga Township, Lancaster County, Pa.


History of Conestoga Township


History of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania

with Biographical Sketches
of Many of the Pioneers and Prominent Men.

by Franklin Ellis and Samuel Evans.

Everts & Peck

Chapter XLV
Conestoga Township

NOTE: Ellis and Evans were the editors, Peter Hiller wrote the section on Conestoga Township.

Page 736

Geographical and Descriptive,- This township was formed as early as 1712, and originally embraced a territory much greater in extent than at the present time. In 1853 Pequea township was formed from the eastern part of it, at which time the boundaries were materially changed. As now defined, it boundaries are Manor township on the northwest, Lancaster township on the north, Pequea township on the east, Martic township on the south, and the Susquehanna River on the west. It contains about nineteen thousand six hundred acres of land, surface rolling, and the soil of excellent fertility and well cultivated, containing some of the best farms to be found in Lancaster County. The population in 1880 was two thousand Five hundred and fifty.
Conestoga Center, near the centre of the township, Rockhill is the northwest, Slackwater in the north, Safe Harbor in the west, and Colemanville in on the southeast, are the chief centers of population.
It contains at present six hotels, seven stores, three cigar manufactories, five post-offices, two grist-mills, one paper-mill, one rolling-mill, one furnace, seven churches, ten schools, and one tannery. There were, in 1883 six hundred and thirteen taxables. Value of real and personal property is a little over one million, five hundred thousand dollars.


Abraham Hess Henrich Martin Abraham Kendig Henrich Gougnauer Adam Goughnauer Henrich Shank Abraham Goughnauer Jacob Hoffman Abraham Line Henrich Zicher Alexander Worick Henrich Hoffman Adam Kendrick Henrich Miller Abraham Miller Henry Blashger Andreas Teall Henry Miller Andreas Teall, Jr Henry Hagy Adam Hage Herrman Lick Adam Brenneman Henry Steyman Abraham Huber Henry Sailer Abraham Groff Henry Shank Andress Sud Henry Good Andreas Mens Henry Laudenschlager Benjamin Eshellman Henry Fornell Bertrick Bork Henry Bayer Christian Eyman Henry Huber Christian Goughnauer Henry Line Christian Hess Henry Feldberger Christian Line Isaac Brenneman Christian Good Isaac Borkholder Christian Henry Isaac Brenneman Christian Shank John Hess Christian Borkholder John Kaler Christian Breneman John Kendicoh Christian Newcomer John Beam Christian Farrer John Goughnauer Christian Huber John Hol Cornelius Jacob Joseph Kaler Conrod Lyck Jacob Goughnauer Daniel Jendes Joseph Goughnauer Daniel Musser Jacob Line David Eshelman Jacob Kreider David Hess Jacob Hernish Daniel Breneman John Steyman Daniel Keepsot John Crumel David Brenneman Jacob Miller Damken Quickle John Miller Frederick Fag Jacob Miller Frederick Mayer Jacob Bear Frederick Hoffman Jacob Philipps Frederick Shoff John Bear Frederick Palmer Jacob Sohower Frederick Radvona John Stoffer George Meckmeken John Mosser George Beck John Weth George Wagner Jacob Mannert George Fitzen John Hard George Radfond Jacob Miller Henry Shieb John Mekmeken Henrich Ross Jacob Fissel Henrich Duderich John Echelman



                John Stoner                           Martin Thomas Shons
                Jacob Metzger                         Michael Kreider
                Jacob Shof                            Melchor Brenneman
                Jacob Landmesser                      Nathaniel Badesh
                John Heasled                          Nicolaus Angst
                John Worfield                         Nicolaus Shaffer
                John Logen                            Philip Swartz
                John Good                             Philip Dudrich
                Jacob Hess                            Philip Brenner
                Jacob Rechenbocher                    Peter Smith
                John Shane                            Peter Good
                Jacob Heiny                           Peter Klein
                John Nighdig                          Peter Steyman
                John Nighdig, Jr                      Peter Rummel
                John Weiand                           Philip Gotz
                John Baughman                         Philip Orter
                Joseph Leman                          Peter Huber
                John Stettler                         Peter Otman
                Jacob Brenneman                       Reinhard Wiber
                John Borkholder                       Robert Galling
                Jacob Sonebele                        Rudy Miller
                John Slighter                         Ratshar Mekferren
                Jacob Radfond                         Rudy Grebil
                John Roh                              Samuel Hess
                Jacob Smith                           Samuel Makdanel
                Jacob Bayer                           Samuel Moore
                John Morssi                           Simon Jendes
                John Huber                            Solomon Folk
                John Albert                           Samuel Hunder
                Jacob Nisly                           Samuel Hess
                John Horster                          Samuel Line
                John Borsch                           Shim Schaa
                Ludwig Urban                          Thomas Hillyard
                Leonhard Albright                     Tobias Goughnauer
                Leonhard Shik                         Thomas Meklingen
                Michael Reiner                        Thomas Silven
                Michael Hernish                       Ulrich Newcomer
                Martin Kohns                          Wilhelm Smith
                Michael Mayer                         Wilhelm Folk
                Martin Bear                           Wilhelm Mekmollen
                Melchor Hockman                       Wilhelm Brien
                Matthias Miller                       William Folk
                Michael Shank.

Conestoga's Claim to the First Seat of Justice.- It was in Conestoga township that the first court of General Quarter Sessions of the peace was held, at the house of John Postlethwait, for the county of Lancaster, the 5th day of August in the third year of the reign of our Sovereign Lord, the second, by the grace of God, of Great Britain, France and Ireland, King, Defender of the Faith, etc.

The Postlethwait's Property was the same now owned by George J. Fehl. John Postlethwait and Mary, his wife, owned five tracts of land at this place, on which he loaned, from the trustees of the loan office (Charles Norris, Thomas Leech, Mahlon Kirkbride, Francis Yarnell, and John Wright) on the 15th day of October, 1742, a certain sum of money, payable in installments, and gave a "blanket" mortgage on these five tracts, about five hundred and fifty acres. Being unable to meet his payments by virtue of an act of Assembly in such cases made and provided, the loan commissioners sold the properties in June, 1756, for five hundred and two pounds.
The property was bought by Joseph Pugh with the approbation of the loan commissioners, who instructed him to convey the several properties to such parties as the children of John Postlethwait's might direct and to whom they undoubtedly had made sales previously, although the act of Assembly required the mortgage to be foreclosed. It is evident, from the manner in which this unpleasant duty was performed, that Mr. Postlethwait was held in the highest esteem by them.

To see an 1875 map of Conestoga, click here. This image is scaled at 60% to give an overview, to see it full size choose it from the Maps menu.

Other Old Properties- On the 5th day of June, 1727, a tract of land was surveyed and granted to Benedict Eshleman (six hundred acres). This tract is now owned by Christian E. Miller, Christian Harnish, George A. Tripple and others. On the one owned by Mr. Miller, Eshleman built a house in 1759, on the one owned by Mr. Harnish he built in 1764, and later he built on the one owned by Mr. Tripple. All of these houses are occupied at present, and from their appearance look as though several generations more might pass away before they are necessarily worn out.

Pioneer Dwellings.- The oldest dwelling-houses in the township are Christian E. Miller's, built by Benedict Eshleman in 1759; Christian Harnish's built by Benedict Eshleman in 1764; Jacob Bausman's built by Henry Stehman in 1767.

Taxables in Conestoga in 1780

Leonard Albright (weaver), 140 acres, 2 horses, 3 cows, total value at �600
John Beecher, 77 acres, 2 horses, 3 cows, total value �2000
Martin Bare, 180 acres, 6 horses, 8 cows, total value �10,000
Isaac Brenneman, 150 acres, 2 horses, 3 cows, total value �3500
Daniel Brenneman, 100 acres, 4 horses, 6 cows, total value �4,000
Christian Burkholder, 110 acres, 3 horses, 3 cows, total value �2000
Isaac Burkholder, 70 acres, 2 horses, 1 cow, total value �1950
Jacob Becht, 40 acres, 1 horse, 2 cows, total value �800
Melchoir Brenneman, Jr., total value �4,000
George Buk, 1 horse, 2 cows, total value �500
John Bare's estate, 100 acres, total value �4,000
John Bauman, total value �1200
Simon Brand, total value �290
Isaac Brenneman's estate, 100 acres, total value �2250
Matthias Brown, 1 cow, total value �250
Isaac Brenneman's estate 100 acres, total value �2250
Matthias Brown, 1 cow, total value �250
Jacob Bier
Melchoir Brenneman, 100 acres, 2 horses, 3 cows, total value �6,000
John Crommel, 40 acres, 1 cow, total value �450 (land now part of the village of Conestoga Centre)
Robert Collins
John Eshleman, 100 acres, 3 horses, 3 cows, total value �6000
Henry Dirr, 1 cow, total value �250
David Eshleman 180 acres, 4 horses, 10 cows, total value, �9200
Benedict Eshleman, 360 acres, 4 horses, 10 cows, total value �11000
(Land now owned by C. E. Miller, C. Harnish, G. A. Tripple , and others)
Ulrich Friel, 2 horses, 2 cows, total value �800
William Folch, total value �2000
William Folch, Jr., total value �150
Andrew Fehl, 100 acres, 2 horses, 2 cows, total value �2600. (Now George J. Fehl's land, originally John Postlethwait's)
Jacob Feit, 2 horse, 2 cows, total value �3600
John Gochenour, 50 acres, 2 horses, 2 cows, total value, �1600
Adam Gaul, 90 acres, 2 horses, 2 cows, total value �1800
Abraham Hess, 70 acres, 2 horses, 2 cows, total value �1600
Samuel Hess, 344 acres, 3 horses, 5 cows, total value �8800
David Hess, 200 acres, 2 horses, 6 cows, total value �4000 (Land now owned by John Hess and Jacob Thomas)
Jacob Hess, 25 acres, 3 cows, total value �1450
Jacob Huffman, 100 acres, 2 horses, 3 cows, total value �1200
Jacob Heiney, 50 acres, 1 horse, 2 cows, total value �400. (land now a part of Henry Warfel's farm)
John Hesslet, 150 acres, 2 houses, 3 cows, total value �5200
Anthony Haberkam, 1 horse, 3 cows, total value �300


Michael Henry 2 cows, total value �120
John Horst, 2 horses, 2 cows, total value �400
John Heble, 1 cow, total value �230
Henry Heinolt, 1 cow, total value �236
Christian Hess, 2 houses 3 cows, total value �600
Adam Kendig, 150 acres, 4 horses, 4 cows, total value �8200
John Kendig, 125 acres, 2 horses, 2 cows, total value 6600. (Land now in and around Conestoga Centre)
John Keller, 50 acres, 2 horses, 3 cows, total value �500
Daniel Keeports, 98 acres, 4 houses, 4 cows, total value �3000
Michael Kreider, 175 acres, 3 horses, 4 cows, total value �4500
Jacob Kreider, 130 acres, 4 horses, 5 cows, total value �2600
Peter Kline, 100 acres, 1 horse, 4 cows, total value �1000. (Land now owned by David Hess and others.)
Christian Keaggy, 250 acres, 4 horses, 3 cows, total value �5600
George Kendig, 90 acres, total value �2600
Anthony Klerie, 1 cow, total value �225
Cornelius Kuhn
Jacob Lutman (mason) 1 cow, total value �225
Henry Loudensliger, 2 cows, total value �100
Christian Line, 100 acres, 2 horses, 1 cow, total value �1600
Henry Line, 100 acres, 2 horses, 1 cow, total value �1600
Samuel Myers (distiller) 220 acres, 2 horses, 6 cows, total value �8800 (Land now owned by Rudolph, his son, and John A. Meyers, of Pequea)
Abraham Miller, 100 acres, 3 horses, 4 cows, total value �3200 (Land now owned by Christian E. Miller)
John Miller, 100 acres, near Rockhill, total value �1200
Jacob Menart, 170 acres, 5 horses, 15 cows, total value, �9000 (Land now owned by Valentine Warfel, and occupied by Henry Thomas).
John Musser, 150 acres, 2 horses, 7 cows, total value �2400 (Land now part of Conestoga Centre, and now owned by Martin Musser and E. Pehlman).
Catharine May, 60 acres, 2 horses, 3 cows, total value �400
Rudy Miller, 50 acres, 2 horses, 5 cows, total value �1600 (Land now owned by David Miller.)
Frederick Myer, 2 cows, total value �250
Henry Miller, 130 acres, �1250
Jacob Mayer, 2 horses, 3 cows, total value �600
Henry Miller, Jr., 100 acres, 1 cow, total value �250
George Mundorf, total value �1600
John Miller, Jr., 1 cow total value �120
Jacob May, 2 cows, total value �120
George Miller, 1 cow, total value �120
Michael Myer, 2 horses, 2 cows, total value �480
John Neidig, 100 acres, 4 horses, 6 cows, total value �4500
Ulrich Newcomer, 1 horse, 2 cows, total value �250
Rodger Offaron, 2 horses, 2 cos, total value �360
Stophel Ord, 2 horses, 2 cows, total value �360
John Philips, 3 horses, 3 cows, total value �200
Charles Purpur, 1 horse, total value �120
Henry Resh, 150 acres, 4 horses, 3 cows, total value �4400
Jacob Rathfong, 1 horse, 1 cow, total value �250
Frederick Rathfong, 100 acres, 2 horses, 6 cows, total value �3200
George Rathfong (gunsmith), 185 acres, 2 horses, 3 cows, total value �1200
Peter Rummel, 77 acres, 2 horses, 2 cows, total value �800
John Resh, 3 cows, total value �250
Peter Resh's estate, 90 acres, total value �2800
Jacob Reichenbach, 29 acres, total value �1400
Tobias Stehman, 360 acres, 1 horse, 3 cows, total value �1400 (Land now belonging to Henry Stehman and H. D. Stehman)
Henry Steman, 225 acres, 2 horses, 3 cows, total value �7000 (Land now owned by Jacob Bausman)
John Stehman, 140 acres, 1 horse, total value �2600 (Land now owned by H. H. Miller, formerly one of J. Postlethwait's farm.)
Michael Shenk, 165 acres, 2 horses, 6 cows, total value �6000 (Now owned by John Hess, William S. Haskell, and others)
John Shenk, 130 acres, 2 horses, 1 cow, total value �5000
Peter Smith, 100 acres, 2 horses, 4 cows, total value �2400
Catharine Steiner, 100 acres, 2 horses, 3 cows, total value �4000
Frederick Shoff, 125 acres, 3 horses, 4 cows, total value �5000 (Now owned by George Shoff)
Jacob Shoff, 1 horse, 1 cow, total value �200
Philip Swartz, 175 acres, 2 horses, 4 cows, total value �1600.
Dewalt Smith's estate, 40 acres, total value �200
Jacob Smith, total value �600
John Stetler, 2 horses, 3 cows, total value �400
Peter Swenk, 1 horse, 2 cows, total value �250
John Stauffer, 100 acres, total value �800
Andrew Taner
Ludwig Urban 300 acres, 4 horses, 6 cows, total value �4800 (Now owned by F. K. Hookey and Jacob Pickel)
John Wade, 2 horses, 2 cows, total value �250
George Warfel, 160 acres, 2 horses, 3 cows, total value �5000. (Now owned by William Rice and George W. Warfel)
Peter Warfel (son of George), 2 horses, 3 cows, total value �300
John Warfel (son of George), 2 horses, 3 cows, total value �300
John Yinger, total value � 225
Henry Zercher, 35 acres, 1 horse, 3 cows, total value �1800
Mary Zigler, 80 acres, total value �1600

Freeman for the same year: Jacob Lines, Samuel Lines, Leonard Shirk, Abraham Gochenour, Tobias Gochenour, Christian Gochenour, Philip Baker, Adam Gochenour, Joshua Kehler, Richard Burg, Henry Bletcher, Henry Hackman, Christian Huber, Abraham Huber, John Huber, George Ganter, Christian Newcomer, Christian Forrer, Christian Eyeman, Simon Yenter, Henry Shenk, Michael Hess, George Web, Abraham Stetler.
The amount of tax levied for Conestoga township for this year was �20, 404,15s. The fines for the same year were �950

Early Innkeepers-In 1804 John Kendig1 kept a hotel on the road from Lancaster to Burkholder's Ferry. This hotel was in Conestoga Centre, the property now owned and occupied by Dr. J. L. Mowrey as a residence and office. Peter Kline kept a hotel on the road from Lancaster to Martic Forge. This was also in Conestoga Centre, the building standing on or near the site of the present hotel.

1805 Henry Sneider, on Lancaster and Baltimore road, now known as "Willow Street, " Pequea township. Wendle Bowman kept hotel at Safe Harbor; Peter Kline, on Lancaster and Martic Forge Road (same as above). Jacob Menart kept tavern on road from Columbia to Martic Forge. This was the building afterwards known as the "Mansion House" at Safe Harbor. It was destroyed by fire a few years since, and never rebuilt. Conrad Karer kept a tavern at Susquehanna River, afterwards known as "Shenk's Ferry ".

1806 John Mundorf's hotel was situated on Mundorf's Island, now John P. Wise, of Lancaster.

1807 Jacob Menart kept tavern on the road from Lancaster to Safe Harbor. This was at what is now known as Slackwater. Tobias Kendig kept on the road from Lancaster to Martic Forge (Conestoga Centre). Jacob Menart kept on the road from Columbia to Martic Forge, the Mansion House, Safe Harbor.

1808 Ziba Webb kept on the road from Columbia to Martic forge (same as above).

1809 Ziba Webb the mouth of Conestoga. This hotel was kept in one end of a large building that stood at the mouth of the Conestoga Creek, and occupied as a warehouse, from which family flour was shipped down the Susquehanna River. John Kendrick Jr., on road to Moore's Fishery. This was afterwards called "Shenk's Ferry," at which place there is at this time a hotel.

1Kendig kept this tavern during the years 1805-9



Township officers, 1743-1840. No record of the township officers is in existence prior to the year 1743.

1743 David Jones, John Postlethwait, overseers of the poor.
1744 Adam and Stephen Brenneman, overseers of the poor.
1744-55 No records.
1755 Samuel Myer, Jacob Harnish, overseers of the poor.
1756 Joseph Stone, Abraham Kegy, overseers of the poor.
1757 Martin Kendrick, Abraham Blazler, overseers of the poor.
1758 David Jones, Tobias Stoneman, overseers of the poor.
1759 Abraham Beam, Adam Good, overseers of the poor.
1760 Samuel Hess, John Byers, overseers of the poor.
1761 Abraham Miller, John Miller, overseers of the poor.
1762 George Seiglar, Christian Brenneman, overseers of the poor.
1763 Melchoir Brenneman, Isaac Brenneman, overseers of the poor.
1764 Benedict Eshleman, Christian Forrer, overseers of the poor.
1765 No Record.
1766 Frederick Rathvon, Frederick Shopp, overseers of the poor.
1767 Ulrich Miller, Jacob Gochenauer, overseers of the poor.
1768 Henry Lesh, George Warfel, overseers of the poor.
1769 Jacob Menart, Jacob Cryttas, overseers of the poor.
1770 Michael Overstake, Michael Kreider, overseers of the poor.
1771 Abraham Newcomer, Peter Good, overseers of the poor; Samuel Hess, Samuel Myers, auditors.
1772 Adam Brenneman, Philip May, overseers of the poor; Abraham Newcomer, Samuel Myers, John Rahter, auditors.
1773 Frederick Rathvon, Abraham Kendig, overseers of the poor; Samuel Myers, John Rahter, auditors.
1774 Philip Swartz, Jacob Stones, overseers of the poor; John Rahter, Abraham Newcomer, auditors.
1775 Adam Kendig, Jacob Metzgar, overseers of the poor; Benedict Eshleman, Adam Gall, auditors.
1776 Philip Swartz, Jacob Stoner, overseers of the poor; John Rahter, Abraham Newcomer, auditors.
1777 The same officers served this year that served last.
1778 Andrew Fehl, Jacob Smith, overseers of the poor.
1779 Abraham Hess, William Falck, overseers of the poor; Frederick Rathvon and George Rathvon, auditors.
1780 Benjamin Eshleman, Daniel Brenneman, overseers of the poor; Abraham Newcomer.
1781 John Barr, Jacob Gochenauer, overseers of the poor; Abraham Newcomer, Martin Bare, auditors.
1782 Henry Deitrich, Ludwig Urban, overseers of the poor; Abraham Newcomer, Jacob Metzgar, Samuel Myers, auditors.
1783 No Records.
1784 John Beam, Jacob Fogel, overseers of the poor; George Rathvong, auditor (the only one named.
1785 John Beam, Jacob Harnish, overseers of the poor; Abraham Newcomer, Samuel Myers, auditors.
1786 No Records.
1787 Christian Forrer, John Bachman, overseers of the poor; George Rathvong, John Bear, Samuel Hess, auditors.
1788 _____ Ehrman, Tobias Johnson, overseers of the poor; Samuel Myers, Jacob Metzgar, auditors.
1789 John Bachman, Richard B. Armon, overseers of the poor; Jacob Metzgar, Samuel myers, auditors.
1790 Jacob Brenneman, Abraham Huber, overseers of the poor; Jacob Metzgar, Jacob Barr, auditors.
1791 Jacob Beam, Melchoir Hackman, overseers of the poor; Samuel myers, John Bear, auditors.
1792 No Records.
1793 Christian Gochenour, Jacob Deitrich, overseers of the poor; Henry Deitrich, Christian Shenk, auditors.
1794 Jacob Bear, Jacob Stoner, overseers of the poor; Samuel Myers, Michael Myers, auditors.
1795 No records.
1796 No records.
1797 Henry Gochenour, Michael Harnish, overseers of the poor; John Bachman, Henry Deitrich auditors.
1798 Jacob Myers, John Thomas, overseers of the poor; John Bachman, Henry Deitrich, auditors.
1799 No overseers of the poor named; Christian Hess, Abraham Huber, auditors.
1800 Michael Hess, Jacob Haverstick, overseers of the poor; Daniel Seabrooks, Jacob Myers, auditors.
1801-4 No records.
1805 Lewis Urban, John Burkholder, supervisors.
1806 Jacob Barr, Abraham Warfel, supervisors; Henry Resh, Daniel Sterneman, John Barr, auditors.
1807 Henry Deitrich, Lewis Urban, Jr. supervisors; Henry Resh, Daniel Sterneman, John Barr, auditors.
1808 Michael Hess, Christian Shenk, supervisors; John Good, Henry Resh, George Urban, auditors.
1809 John Brenneman, Jacob Warfel, supervisors; John Bachman Jr., Jacob Shenk, Henry Resh, auditors.
1810 Michael Kreider, George Stones, supervisors; Jacob Barr, Samuel Myers, John Bachman, Jacob Smith auditors.
1811 Jacob Warfel, John Beam, supervisors; George Yentzer, John Good, John Bachman, auditors.
1812 George Urban, Henry Resh, supervisors; John Good, Lewis Urban, Jacob Ripley, John Bachman, Jr., auditors.
1813 John Bachman Sr., Adam Warfel, supervisors; Christian Kendig, John Bachman Jr., Lewis Urban, Jacob Bachman, auditors; John Good, town clerk
1814 Jacob Haverstick, Adam Warfel, supervisors; Christian Kendig, Lewis Urban, auditors; John Good, town clerk.
1815 Christian Hess, _____ Eyman, supervisors; Christian Kendig, Herr Joseph, Lewis Urban, auditors; John Good, town clerk.
1816 Jacob Good, Abraham Gochenour, supervisors; John Good, Adam Warfel, auditors.
1817 Jacob Shenk, John Landis, supervisors; John Bachman, Christian Thomas, Adam Warfel, auditors.
1818 John Mehaffey, supervisor; William McMillan, John Bachman, Christian Thomas, auditors.
1819 Christian Hess, supervisor; John Good, John Bachman, Adam Warfel, Christian Thomas, auditors.
1820 Christian Hess, Michael Haverstick, supervisors; John Good, George Haverstick, Adam Warfel, Christian Thomas Auditors.
1821 John Hess, Jacob Heidlebaugh, supervisors; John Good, Jacob Ripley, John Bachman, auditors; George Yentzer, town clerk.
1822 Adam Thomas, John Hess, supervisors; Jacob Shenk, Benjamin Bear, Jacob Ripley, auditors; John Good, town clerk.
1823 Jacob Burkholder, Jacob Warfel, supervisors; John Good, Michael Haverstick, Jacob Ripley, auditors; John Good, town clerk.
1824 Jacob Ripley, Tobias Stehman, supervisors; John Good, George Haverstick, Adam Warfel, Christian Miller, auditors; John Warfel, town clerk.
1825 Jacob Menart, Michael Kreider, supervisors; George Haverstick, Adam Kendig, Christian Miller, auditors; George Yentzer, town clerk.
1826 George Kreider, Jacob Menart, supervisors; Adam Kendig, Benjamin Musser, Christian Miller, auditors; John Good, town clerk.
1828 Henry Charles, George Kreider, supervisors; Jacob Shenk, Jr., Jacob Fehl, Jr., John Good, Tobias Stehman, auditors.
1827 Daniel Hess, John Forrey, supervisors; Jacob Shenk Jr., Jacob Fehl Jr., John Good, Tobias Stehman, auditors; John Good, town clerk.
1828 Henry Charles, George Kreider, supervisors; Jacob Shenk Jr., Jacob Fehl Jr., John Good, Tobias Stehman, auditors.
1829 Adam Kendig, Christian Herr, supervisors; Jacob Shenk Jr., John Mecartney, Hugh Mehaffey, Henry Hess, auditors; George Yentzer, town clerk.
1830 Jacob Hess, Jacob Frantz, supervisors; Henry Hess, John Mccartney, Benjamin Charles, Jacob Fehl Jr, auditors; GEorge Yentzer, town clerk.
1831 Joseph Good, Jacob Frantz, supervisors; Christian Herr, Benjamin Musser, Jacob Shenk, Christian Zecher, auditors; Adam Duke, town clerk.
1832 Joseph Good, David Hess, supervisors; John Bachman, Jacob Frantz, Benjamin Good, auditors; Adam Duke, town clerk.
1833 Joseph Good, Jacob Good, supervisors; John Bachman, Jacob Frantz, Benjamin Good, auditors.
1834 Joseph Good, Jacob Good, supervisors; John Bachman, Christian Miller, John Mecartney, Jacob Fehl Jr., auditors.
1835 Conrad Sourbeer, John Johns, supervisors; David Book, Benjamin Musser, Christian Miller, auditors; Benjamin Urban, town clerk.
1836 Christian Shenk, John Huber, supervisors; David Book, Christian Miller, Henry Hess, auditors; Benjamin Urban, town clerk.
1837 Conrad Sourbeer, Christian Herr, supervisors; Christian Miller, Henry Hess, Benjamin Charles, auditors.
1838 John Byers, Martin Good, supervisors; Henry Hess, Samuel Mehaffey, Jacob Warfel, auditors.


1839 Abraham Charles, John Byers, supervisors; Samuel Mehaffey, Jacob Warfel, auditors.
1840 John Lechy, Adam Warfel, supervisors; Samuel Mehaffey, John Brenneman, auditors.

                                               Justices of the Peace

Samuel Mehaffy, April 14, 1840 Benjamin Urban, May 3, 1861 John McCartney, April 14, 1840 Jacob Fehl, April 12, 1864 John Kendig, April 13, 1841 Benjamin Urban, 1866 Daniel Fulton, April 12, 1842 Jacob Fehl, April 1869 John Martin, April 15, 1845 Benjamin Urban, April 1871 Daniel Fulton, April 12, 1847 John Martin, April, 1874 Hugh Mehaffy, April 10, 1849 B. S. McLane, April 1875 Daniel Fulton, April 15, 1852 Benjamin Urban, April, 1876 Hugh Mehaffy, April 11, 1854 B. S. McLane, April, 1880 Jacob Fehl, April 1854 A. G. Hudson , April, 1881 Hugh Mehaffy, April 18, 1859 Peter C. Hiller1, April 13, 1883 Jacob Fehl, April 19, 1859

County officers Elected from Conestoga. Michael Shenk, county commissioner in 1804; Jacob McAllister, county commissioner in 1832; John Warfel, member of the State Legislature in 1842; Hugh Mehaffey, register of wills in 1836-1839; Jacob G. Peters, member of the State Legislature in 1868; Dr. J. C. Gatchell, member of the State Legislature in 1871; John W. Urban, clerk of quarter Sessions in 1872-1874; Amos Groff, coroner in 1875-1877; John P. Good, recorder of deeds in 1880-82.

                                Freeholders of Conestoga Township in 1840

Aston, John Eshleman, Benjamin Burkholder,Jacob Eshleman, David Beam, John Eshleman, John K. Barr, Benjamin Eby, Christian Book, David Fehl, Jacob Bair, David Fisher, John Brenneman, Jacob Frantz, John Buckwalter, John Good, Jacob Sr. Brenneman, John Good, John Buckwalter, David Good, Benjamin Barr, Christian Good, Christian Barr, Emanuel Good, John Jr. Bachman, John Sr. Good Joseph Brooks, Samuel Good, Jacob Beck, Josiah Gardner, John Barninger, Daniel Graver, John Bostick, Jacob Groff, Jacob Byers, Jacob Gall, Henry H. Barr, Jacob Gall, Martin Brubaker, David Gross, Michael Bates, John Goutner , George Brenneman, Abrm. Graybill, Jacob Coleman, Edward Goodman, Jacob Caldwell, James A. Harman, Philip Charles, Henry Hess, Christian Charles, John Harnish, David Charles, Jacob Harnish, Michael Conrad, Daniel Harnish, David Charles, Daniel Harnish, Jacob Costloe, John Haverstick, Abraham Charles, Samuel Harnish, Abraham Crummel, Christian, Sr. Hess, Christian Christ Daniel Heidlebaugh, Henry Caldwell, Edward Hess, Henry Crossen, Samuel Hess, Jacob Deitrich, Tobias Hess, Abraham Doebler, George Hess, Rudolph Duke, Thomas Hess, Daniel Derridinger, John Heiney, John Erb, Rudolph Hershock, John Hable, Conrad Miller, Joseph Herr, Martin Mundorf, Isaac Herman, John Miller, Christian Haverstick, David Miller, John Herr, John Myer, Samuel Hess, Michael Mehaffey, Hugh, Esq. Hersh, Jacob Musser, John Hoover, Daniel Musser, Samuel Huber, John Musser, Jacob Hess, David Manart, Jacob Sr. Harnish, John Miller, Frederick Hackman, Henry Miller, Martin Hess, Samuel Miller, Christian Hess, Edward Pennypacker, James Harnish, Rudolph Russel, Samuel Harnish, Benjamin Russel, Michael Henry, Michael Ream, Frederick Hillers, John Retz Daniel Herr, Christian B. Rankin, Samuel Hackman, Jacob Rohrer, Henry Herr, Christian Rohrer, Christian Henry, John Rohrer, Abner Henry, Christian Sterneman, Daniel Hershey Christian Sterneman, Christian Hess, Abraham Stehman, Tobias B. Harnish, Martin Stehman, Tobias, Sr. Hess, Daniel Shenk, Henry Henry, George Shenk, John Herr, Henry Shenk, Jacob Jones, John Stouter, Jacob Kendig, Christian Shenk, Joseph Kreider, George Shenk, Abraham Kreider, Christian Shenk, Benjamin Kreider, Jacob Shoff, Frederick Kendig, Adam Stettler, Abraham Kline, George Snavely, Christian Kline, Peter Stoner, Jacob, Sr. Keeports, John Snavely, Abraham Kling, George Stettler, Emmanuel Kling, Michael Shaub, John Kreider, Michael Sr. Sourbeer, Conrad Kendig, George Shenk, Christian Kreider, John Thomas, Adam Kneissley, Valentine Urban, George Kienbortz, John Urban, John Landis, John Esq. Warfel, Jacob Lipp, Christopher Warfel, John Lines, Christian Warfel, Jacob, Sr. Lines, Abraham Warfel, Daniel Lines, John Warfel, Christian Myers, David Warfel, George McCartney, John Warfel, George Mehaffey, John Waller, Rubertus Mylin, John Wright, James Mylin, Christian Warfel, Abraham Martin, David Yentzer, Jacob Miller, Peter Jr. Yorden, Daniel Mylin, Abraham Yeider, John McAllister, Jacob Esq. Yeider, Emanuel Mackey, Samuel Yordy, Christian Musser, Benjamin Zercher, Andrew

Conestoga Centre was originally laid out in 1805, by John Kendig, and consisted of a part of thirty four acres, late the property of Martin Kendig, which John Reitzel, Sheriff, sold to Henry Brenneman in 1805. The original plan of the village was, however, never followed. The village is about a mile and a fourth in length, stretched along a ridge of considerable elevation; contains about ninety houses, and upwards of five hundred inhabitants. It has one post-office, three stores, two cigar manufactories, one saloon, one hotel, two blacksmith-shops, two cabinet



makers' shops, one cooper shop, four churches, three schools, and one shoe store.

Safe Harbor was laid out and built at the time of the erection of the iron-works at that place, though quite a number of houses had been put up there prior to that time. During the continuance of the operation of the iron-works it was the principal centre of population, but at present the greater part of the houses are unoccupied. It contains one furnace, one rolling-mill, one foundry, two stores, one drug-store, one school-house, one church, two hotels, and a postoffice.

Colemanville was built to accommodate the persons employed in the iron-works there erected.

Slackwater.-The greater portion of the houses in this village are owned by John A. Schober, owner of the paper-mills, and are occupied principally the the employees of the mill.

Rockhill is a small-post town situated on the Conestoga River, about midway between Slackwater and Safe Harbor, containing a grist-mill, hotel, blacksmith-shop , about twenty dwelling houses, and a post-office.

Schools--The common school system was adopted by Conestoga township in the year 1836, which had at that time 561 taxables.
In 1837 1 it had 9 school houses, 9 teachers, and 567 pupils. The tax levied for the same year was $800, the State appropriation was $1124.35; total receipts for 1837, $1960.52; expenditures $1777; expended for buildings, $575.
The tenth school house was built in 1865. This is a two-story brick building. The lower room was owned by the township, and the upper story by a stock company. In 1876 it was burned down, and the school directors purchased the stock company's interest and built a school-house with two rooms, but furnishing and using only the lower for school purposes. All the school houses are of brick or stone, and are valued at an average of $1200 each.
In 1877, or forty years after the adoption of the common school system, the township had 10 schoolhouses, 10 teachers, and 503 pupils. The tax levied was $3989.64; State appropriation, $420.44; total receipts, 5059.64; expenditures $4322.87; expanded for buildings, $600.
For 1882 the tax levied was $3611.75; State appropriation, $435.46; total receipts $5138.77. Expenditures, teachers' wages, $2416; building, $1224.40; total expenditures $4408.01. Cash on hand, $730.76. The present directors are Amos Warfel, H. H. Kurtz , Andrew Good, Adam Good, Jacob Harnish, and Samuel Crossen.

Safe Harbor Independent School District.--This district comprises the property owned by the Safe harbor Iron Company. It was part of Conestoga township until about 1854, when application was made to have it a separate school district.
It has two schools, but at present only one house, the other (a brick) being destroyed by a storm a few years since.
In 1882 the schools were held on the second floor of Odd-Fellows Hall, eighty pupils being in attendance.
The tax assessed for 1882 was $350; State appropriation $22; total receipts, $372; expenditures, $5.00. Present directors are W. W. Bones, president; George T. Rose, secretary; Theodore F. Patterson, treasurer; Christian B. Henry, George A. Tripple, Alonzo G. Hudson.

The teachers of Conestoga Township who were educated and began the work at home were;

Joseph R. Urban, retired.
Casper Hiller, now a fruit-grower.
Calvin B. Kendig, now of Buffalo, N. Y.
Adam Kendig, lately a German Reformed minister, now deceased
John M. Kendig, now a minister of the Reformed Church in Ohio.
John J. Zercher, deceased.
Michael Benedict.
Christian R. Sterneman, now a dentist in Iowa.
W. W. Woods, now of York County.
Samuel L. Fehl , George J. Fehl, now farming.
Ann Costolo, deceased.
Henrietta Costolo, now the wife of John W. Gardner.
James E. Hess, deceased.
Benjamin K. Maynard, now of lancaster.
B. F. W. Urban, druggist and physician, Lancaster, Pa.
Sallie A. Hess, not teaching at present.
Mary E. Lenhardt, now teaching in Manor township.
Peter C. Hiller, now teaching in Conestoga and a justice of the peace.
George E. Lawrence, now teaching in Conestoga.
Samuel B. Good, now teaching in Conestoga.
Samuel S. Mehaffey, deceased.
Sebastion Rohrer, now a house carpenter.
Jacob O. Rohrer, now teaching in Pequea township.
Martin L. Kendig, now a cigar-maker.
William K. Sourbeer, deceased.
Frederick Sourbeer, now a minister of the Reformed Church in York, York Co., Pa.
H. H. Rhineer, now teaching in Conestoga.
Charles H. Fralich, now teaching in Manor township.

Old Mennonite Church-The first building belonging to this denomination in Conestoga township was a small log house, built on the site of the present one about the year 1760, under the supervision of Benedict Eshleman. Among the original members were Joseph Miller, Daniel Hess, Anna Hess, John Reider, Barbara Derridinger, and Jacob Good. In 1828 the log building had to give way to a larger one
1At this time Conestoga included Pequea Township


which was built of stone during the summer of this year. In 1882 the old building was remodeled and made considerably larger. Its present seating capacity is about three hundred and fifty persons.
There are at present connected with the church fifty members, the value of church property being about three thousand five hundred dollars. The following ministers have served the church in the order named: John Shenk, Daniel Sterneman, Samuel Myers, Henry Shenk, John Huber, Joseph Burkholder, Martin Miller, John Harnish, and Abraham Herr, who are the present ministers.

The African Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1839, and in the following year a neat frame building was put up. The original members were Simon Richardson, John Wanner, Washington Cooper, Harriet Sweeny, Nancy Richardson, Susan Wanner, and Sarah Harley.
In 1875 the old house was torn down and a new frame building, with a seating capacity of one hundred and seventy-five persons, was put up under the supervision of Mrs. Harriet J. Sweeny. The cornerstone was laid in the summer, and it was dedicated in the fall of 1875.
The following ministers have officiated in the order in which they are named, each having served two years; Jacob P. Hamar, Abner Bishop, Henry H. Blackson, Isaac Gathaway, _____ Johnston, Jacob Anderson, _____ Harris, James Payton, Henderson Davis, _____ Norris, A. A. Robinson, _____ Campbell, J. R. Davis, and L.. L. Hamilton, who is the present minister.

The German Reformed Church, Conestoga Centre, was reorganized on Whitsunday, 1842. The original organization took place a number of years prior to this time. The earliest knowledge attainable is from a deed dated July 1, 1820, for a tract of land containing twenty perches, deeded to them and the Lutheran congregation at Conestoga on a warrant of Aug. 30, 1791, and surveyed on the 12th of October, 1791. At the time of the reorganization Rev. C. F. Hoffman, a student of Rev. G. W. Glessner, was the regular minister for seven years. In 1844 they built a brick church on the same ground on which stood the Lutheran Church (a frame building over one hundred years old), in which they have worshiped since. Rev. E. D. Reinecke, the next minister, served four years; Joel L. Reber, three years; C. W. Hoffmier, two years; J. F. Eckert, twelve years; S. D. Steckel, one year; A. B. Shenkle, nine years; J. P. Moore, six years. The church has a capacity for seating two hundred and fifty persons. The church was remodeled in 1881, under the supervision of J. R. Yentzer. The present value of the church property is two thousand five hundred dollars; the present number of members, forty-five. Connected with the church there is a Sunday-school with an average of fifty pupils.

The Evangelical Association- This association or, as it is known in some localities, "The Albrights" built their first church in Conestoga township, on the road leading from Conestoga Centre to Safe Harbor, in the year 1846, at which time the church was organized. The building was frame, and was used as a place of worship until the year 1873, when they built a new house of brick at a cost of about two thousand dollars. The first trustees were Jacob McAllister, Jacob Hackman, and Benjamin Kneissley. The following are the names of the ministers; Rev. Fred. Danner, Hull, Cole, Shulty, Francis Lare, James Lare, Jacob Addamey, Samuel Hambright, Moses Dissinger, C. Becker, M. Henry, Joseph Specht, Widner, S. Harper, W. Black, Shoemaker, A. Stirk, Samuel J. Homberger, Jesse Lawrence, A. De Long, Markley, Knerr, Jacob Zern, Cautner, and F. A. Hess, the present minister. Benjamin Kneisley is a local preacher in this church, and has been such for a number of years. The number of baptisms have been seventy. There are at present fifty members. The present trustees are Peter Snavely, Benjamin Kneissley, John Lynes, Benjamin Warfel, and Amos McAlister.

Colemanville Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1849 by members of the church at Mount Nebo, Martic township. The original members were Morris Clark, James A. Ewing, George McCombs, Benjamin Stoner, Daniel Keller, and a number of others. These same persons constituted the first board of trustees, and also the building committee. The building, a neat brick, was finished early in the fall of 1849, and was dedicated at that time by Rev. J. Sanderson, who was the preacher in charge at that time and for two succeeding years. The first class-leader was Morris Clark. The land upon which the church was built was donated by Mrs. Coleman. The following are the other pastors who had charge; Revs. Joseph Cook, two years; H. B. Mauger, three years; _____ Edwards, two years; J. N. Magee, two years; ____ Cumins, two years; W. L. Gray, two years; H. H. Bodine, two years; N. W. Bennum, two years; George L. Sheaffer, two years; James Gregg, two years; S. Horwell, two years; W. W. McMichel, two years; F. Illman, two years; F. M. Collins, two years; T. Montgomery, two years; R. C. Wood, the present pastor. During the first year the church was built there were thirty members; at present the membership numbers forty-four. The church property is valued at fifteen hundred dollars.

The Roman Catholic Church at Safe Harbor was organized as part of St. Mary's Church of Lancaster City, about the year 1853. The following year (1854) the puddlers of the Safe Harbor Iron-Works built a neat, substantial stone church. The first clergyman was Rev. John Balf. The house was built under the supervision of the Right Rev. Father Keenan. The other ministers were Revs. O'Brien, J. C. Hickey, and McMonagan.
During the continuance of the operation of the iron-works regular state meetings were held, that is,



up to the summer of 1865, after that only at long intervals until the fall of 1880, from then to the fall of 1882 meetings were held every four weeks. There are, at present, residing at Safe Harbor less than a dozen members, and no meetings have been held for nearly a year.

Conestoga Centre Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in August, 1856. An informal meeting was held in the house of Dr. B. S. Kendig early in August, at which time the matter of organizing a church here was spoken of, and a meeting for the purpose of organizing was called for August 13th, at which the following board of trustees were elected; Rev. William Major, Christian B. Herr, James Bones, John Perkins , Joseph R. Urban, Frederick M. Brady, Daniel Rhineer, and John Campbell; Rev. William Major, president; Joseph R. Urban, secretary; and F. M. Brady, treasurer. At the same time the following building committee was appointed; Rev. William Major, A. M. Warfel, Frances B. Groff, John H. Lorimer, and Dr. B. S. Kendig. Shortly after this the building was begun, and in the fall the corner-stone was laid. Rev. Mr. Major conducting the services. The following spring (1857) the church was dedicated to the service of God by Revs. Curtis F. Turner and William Major. The original members were Joseph R. Urban, Elizabeth Urban, Abraham M. Warfel, Elizabeth Warfel, Henry B. Shenk, Matilda Shenk, Frances B. Groff, John H. Lorimer, F. M. Brady, Esther Mehaffey, Daniel Rhineer, Hugh Mehaffey, Esq., Dr. B. S. Kendig, Susan Kendig, John Jones, Susan Jones, Christian Hupper, Mary Hupper, Henry Flinchbaugh, C. K. Henry, John Henry, and Leah Brady. Their first meetings were held in the dwelling-house of Joseph R. Urban.
Following is a list of the pastors of the church and the length of time each served: William Major, two years, assisted by T. J. Martin, three months; C. Walters, one year, assisted by _____ Formosa, one year; H. B. Mauger, two years, assisted by A. Fisher, two years; William B. Gregg, two years, assisted by George B. Shaffer, two years; William M. Dalrymple, two years; John Watson, two years; John Kessler, three years; David Shenk, two years; H. B. Mauger, two years; F. M. Collins, one year; J. G. Hare, two years; F. M. Brady, two years; J. W. Harkins, three years; A. J. Amthor, the present pastor.
There are at present forty members. The church property is valued at two thousand five hundred dollars.
Connected with the church there is a Sunday-school, with an average of sixty pupils, under the present superintendency of B. F. Hookey.

Burial Grounds-In giving these the oldest dates as recorded upon the gravestones can only be given. Nearly all of them were set apart for his purpose many years before, but we have no means at our command of ascertaining the length of time they have been established.
On Valentine Warfel's farm, near Safe Harbor, the older grave marked is that of F. Menart, 1774.
On George J. Fehl's farm, near Slackwater, are stones marked Andreas Fehl, died in 1783; Andreas Fehl, Jr. died 1795; the latest burial, Catharine Lenhardt, Sept. 28, 1880. This lot contains about fifty burials.
The German Reformed Cemetery, connected with the church in Conestoga Centre, contains the following marked stones: Andreas Martin and Peter Kline, 1784; Jacob Metzgar, July 8, 1790. This ground contains about six hundred bodies.
On Christian E. Miller's farm burying-ground, on road from Conestoga Centre to Shenk's Ferry, first marked burial was made in 1797, name illegible. Contains about twenty.
On Jacob Bausman's farm, near Colemanville, the oldest marked grave is that of Barbara Stehman, Jan. 17, 1793; Henry Steman, April 16, 1793, aged forty four years; Peter Warfel, March 27, 1802; Peter Warfel, Jr., Feb. 6, 1803; George Warfel, Sept. 14, 1804. Latest burial Adam Warfel, October, 1859. Contains about one hundred and fifty bodies.
On Samuel Harnish's farm graveyard at Shenk's Ferry. This ground contains no stones to mark the graves, except the members of the Shenk family who have died lately.
On Elizabeth Kendig's farm, on the road from Conestoga Centre to Slackwater, the oldest marked grave is that of Henry Hackman, who died in 1776, aged fifty-one years; the cemetery contains about seventy-five graves.
On Jacob Stehman's farm, on the road from Conestoga Centre to Slackwater. This burial-ground was established in 1806 by the Stehman family. John Stehman being the first person buried there in that year; Elizabeth Keller, who died in 1880, being the last.
The Colemanville Methodist Episcopal Church burial-ground was established in 1849.
The Colored or African Methodist Episcopal Church burying-ground was established in 1846; first burial was Nancy Richardson, who died at that time. In it are about fifty burials.
The Evangelical Association's burying-ground was first established in 1846 at their church near Safe Harbor, but at the time of the building of their new church all the bodies were removed to these grounds.
The Methodist Episcopal Burying-ground was established at the time of building the church in 1856, and now contains upwards of one hundred and fifty graves.
On Benjamin Good's (now Frank Warfel's) farm near Colemanville; this ground contains about twenty burials.
On the Abraham Buckwalter (deceased) farm, near Conestoga Centre; contains about fifty burials.
The Catholic burying-ground connected with the church at Safe Harbor contains about fifty.


On John Hess' farm, on the road from Conestoga Centre to Marticville , a graveyard was established in 1841, and contains twenty graves.
On Jacob Harnish's farm, on the road from Conestoga Centre to Lancaster, a graveyard was established about the year 1790, and contains about fifty graves.

Conestoga Lodge, No, 334, I.O.O.F., was instituted as Safe Harbor in 1848, and had a successful existence until the breaking out of the great civil war, when the greater part of its members enlisted. After the close of the war its prospects brightened, and it is at this period in a flourishing condition. Its charter was granted by the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania on the 20th day of October, A. D. 1848. The charter members were Benjamin Middleton, James H. Collins, Alexander H. Carpenter, Adna S. Gillet, and Jacob K. Habecker.
The position of Noble Grand has been filled by Rev. George A. Tripple, Urias Warfel, William W. Bones, William W. Tripple, Samuel Crossen, L. D. Douglass, B. F. Hookey, Rev. Ephraim Potts, Samuel Z. Tripple, S. M. Wright, Joseph B. Wright, J. J. Watson, Thomas C. WRight, John Clark, Jacob B. Urban, and others, some of which we have been unable to learn.
The membership at present is sixty. The meetings are held every Saturday evening in the Odd-Fellows' Hall at Safe Harbor. The room is finely furnished, at a cost of about one thousand dollars. The building is now the property of the Safe Harbor Iron Company.
Present officers; Thomas C. Wright, N. B. ; Daniel R. Shenk, V. G.; W. W. bones, Sec; Urias Warfel, Treas.

Kishacaquillas Tribe, I. O. R. M., No. 65, was instituted at Conestoga Centre in November, 1865, and had a successful existence until the year 1877, when it dwindled almost out of existence, but has since revived, and is at present increasing rapidly in membership.
In February, 1876, the building in which the lodge met was burned, which entailed a loss of several hundred dollars upon the lodge, which was the cause of its crippled condition. In 1877 they built a frame building, twenty-six by thirty-six feet, two stories, at a cost of two thousand one hundred dollars, and at present their meeting-room is tastefully furnished, at an additional cost of eight hundred dollars.
The original number of members were fifteen. The charter members were Dr. Peter S. Clinger, Jacob Henry, Benjamin F. Hookey, John J. Watson, Jacob B. Urban, Rev. Ephraim Potts, John Clark, B. Frank Watson, Dr. J. C. Gatchell, John T. Henry and John M. Kendig.
First officers: John J. Watson, Sachem; John R. Witmer, S. Sag; B. Frank Watson, J. Sag.; Jacob B. Urban, H. of Wamp.; Rev. E. Potts, C. of Rec.; J. M. Kendig, Prophet.

Charles M. Howell Lodge, No., 496, F. and A. M., was instituted Aug. 17, 1871, with the following charter members: Thomas J. Davis, of No. 43; William J. Fordney, of No. 43; Charles J. Rhoads, of No. 43; William W. Bones, of No. 43; and David F. Young, W. W. Tripple, Urias Warfel, and John J. Tripple, of No. 156. The first officers were T. J. Davis, W. M.; William J. Fordney , S. W.;' C. J. Rhoads, J.W.; W. W. Bones, Sec.; and David Davis, Treas. The lodge had in July, 1883, forty members, but the aggregate membership has been about fifty. Its meetings are held in Odd-Fellows Hall at Safe Harbor, which has accommodations for two hundred persons, on the Friday evening on or before full moon. The present officers are W. W. Bones, W. M; E. T. Kauffman, S. W.; Theodore F. Seiple, J. W.; W. W. Tripple, Sec.; David O. Herr, Treas.; Dr. E. B. Herr, Chaplain.

Myers Tannery was started in operation in October, 1812, owned by Samuel Myers, and operated by Socrates Myers, afterwards operated by Samuel Myers & Son (Rudolph) to 1839, then by Rudolph Myers from 1839 to 1876, and by Abraham Myers (Rudolph's son) from 1876 to the present time. He tans from eight hundred to one thousand hides and from five hundred to six hundred calf-skins per annum. He uses horse-power for grinding the bark.

Pequea Iron Company was first organized under the name of the Pequea Magnetic Iron Mining Company, on the 23d of January, 1881, for the purpose of concentration magnetic iron ore, being the first corporation attempting to concentrate magnetic ore in the United States. The first officers were John J. Zeigler, president; William Hart Carr, secretary; and John F. Kelly, treasurer. Present officers are John J. Zeigler, president; Samuel Wilson, secretary; and F. F. Bernadon, treasurer, all of Philadelphia. The company owns large and extensive magnetic mines of a low grade, running from sixteen to fifty per cent., , which is concentrated up to seventy per cent. grade, making it fit for all uses of a high grade magnetic ore.
The main building is thirty-five feet by one hundred and fifty feet, with an L thirty-five feet by fifty feet, containing a Fontaine & Abbot engine of eighty horse power, three Foster Crushers, with a capacity of one hundred and fifty tons per day of twenty-four hours, and three concentrating tables. There is connected with the mines a steam-pump capable of throwing 14,800 gallons per hour, and a reservoir with a capacity of 135,000 gallons. Mr. Charles Douglass is the superintendent.

The Safe Harbor Iron-Works, - These works consist of a blast-furnace, foundry, and rolling-mill.



They were built in 1846 by David Reeves, Samuel J. Reeves, Dr. Pancoast, and Charles and George Abbott, all of Philadelphia. The building of these works was brought about by the discovery of vast amounts of iron ore in the immediate vicinity. The principal product was railroad iron, great quantities of which were used by the Pennsylvania Railroad Company when the railroad came into possession of the present company. These works continued running steadily from the completion of their building until 1865, when the dam across the Susquehanna River, which connected the Conestoga Canal with the Tide-Water Canal, was destroyed, thus cutting off the means of transportation. They remained inactive until the fall of 1879. The works finally came into possession of David and Samuel J. Reeves, whose heirs are the present owners. The works were all built under the supervision of Mr. John Griffen, the present general superintendent of the Phoenix Iron Company, and it was here that Mr. Griffin first made his wrought-iron, many of which were used during the late civil war by the Union army.
In the fall of 1879 the mill was again put in operation for the purpose of manufacturing puddle iron for the use of Phoenix Iron Company at Phoenixville, and also for working the Du Pay direct process. During the winter of 1879 and 1880 the company built a branch railroad one mile in length for the purpose of connecting their works with the Columbia and Port Deposit Railroad, which runs along the Susquehanna River. The blast-furnace has not been in operation since 1865.
The following gentlemen have been the superintendents in the order named: John Griffen, Wyatt W. Miller, Samuel M. Wright, Isaac Reeves, and Theodore F. Patterson, the latter gentleman being there at present. The product of the mills under his management in the year 1882 was ten thousand net tons of puddle iron.

The Slackwater Paper-Mills-These mills are owned and operated by John A. Shober, of Lancaster. They are located in the north end of the township, on the Conestoga River, from which it receives its supply of water. The mill is used for the manufacture of book and news paper from rags, under the management of the proprietor. Up to the spring of 1866 part of the buildings were used as a grist mill, at which time it was purchased by Emanuel Shober, father of the present owner, and converted into a paper-mill; extensive extensions were made to accommodate the business, and in November of the same year the mill was put in operation. The buildings are in the form of a hollow square, the open face towards the public road leading from Slackwater to Millersville. The front building is three stories high. Upon entering the building we come into the finishing-room, where the paper is made ready for shipment, to the left of which are two twenty horse-power steam boilers, used for generating the steam used for drying the paper and cooking the rags and paper stock, heating the buildings, etc; passing from this room we next enter the paper-making machine-room, which is one hundred and forty feet long by thirty feet wide, wherein is a sixty-six-inch Fourdrinier paper machine, having a capacity of five tons of paper per day of twenty-four hours, and is driven by a twenty-three-inch Leffell turbine water wheel; turning to the left, we next enter the pulping-room, which is forty by eighty feet, in which are four beating-rag engines and one Jordan pulping-engine, which are used to reduce the half-stuff into pulp preparatory to going on to the paper-machine; then turning again to the left, we enter the rag-boiling room, in which are one large rotary rag-boiler, twenty feet long and six feet in diameter, in which the rags are boiled in alkali under a pressure of sixty pounds, with a capacity of boiling five tons of in twenty-four hours, and also iron vats used in boiling, sizing, etc. The second floor front is used for millwright and machine-shops, rag-sorting, rag-cutting, dusting, etc. The third floor front is used for storing rags and all kinds of paper stock. Passing from the pulping-room to the right, we enter a room wherein are three washing-engines, used in washing the rags and reducing them to half-stuff preparatory to using them on the pulping-engines, to the right of which is another rotary boiler, twenty feet long and five feet in diameter, used in boiling stock, also several large iron tanks used for dissolving chloride of lime (bleaching salts) for the purpose of bleaching the rags and other stock used in the manufacture of paper. The second floor of this part of the building is used for storing and assorting. From this part of the building we next enter a room parallel to the face of the main building, one hundred and twenty feet long and thirty feet wide, which is intended for a machine-room, in which another sixty-six inch Fourdrinier paper-machine will be placed during the year. The whole machinery of the mill is driven by five Leffell turbine water-wheels. There are forty persons employed by Mr. Shober. the product during last year (1882) was four tons of paper per day, and will for this year (1883) be six tons per day. All the stock used in this mill in the manufacture of paper is gathered in Lancaster and adjoining counties.

Cigar Manufactories- The leading cigar manufacturer of Conestoga township is J. R. Yentzer, who resides in Conestoga Centre. The business was first started by Mr. Yentzer's father in 1830, and by him carried on until 1962, when J. R. began and still continues. Mr. Yentzer employs an average of fifteen persons, and makes upwards of one million cigars annually, which he sells at wholesale and retail. He ships many of his cigars to nearly all the Western and Middle States.
Maris Good began in May, 1882, with one hand and increased during the year to five. There was manufactured at his factory during the year over two


hundred and fifty thousand cigars. At present he is manufacturing over fifty thousand per month, and has in his employ at present (July, 1883) 12 persons.

Some of the Prominent Families of Conestoga.-The Miller family originally came from Zurich, Switzerland. The earliest one of the family of which we were able to learn was Jacob Miller. He received a patent for a tract of land in Conestoga township, containing one hundred acres and the usual allowance, from Thomas and Richard Penn. bearing date April 1, 1748.
Jacob had a son named Abraham, to whom he willed the farm, who devised the same to his son John. John, having no sons, devised the farm to his nephew, Amos Miller. At present the farm is owned by David H., the second son of Amos.
Amos Miller was one of the school directors of the township from 1850 to 1854. He died in 1864, leaving the following children: Henry H., married to Barbara Warfel, residing on one of the Postelthwait farm (the one upon which the children of J. Postlethwaite are buried); David H., unmarried, residing on the old homestead; Fanny, married to John Becker, of Lancaster township; and John, unmarried.

Andrew Fehl came from Wutemberg in September, 1749, and first settled in Manor township. He moved into Conestoga township in 1764, and purchased the property that still remains in the Fehl family. He had two sons, Jacob and Andrew. Jacob became the next owner of the farm, and after him his son Jacob, who was the father of Jacob Fehl, Esq., who was a justice of the peace for Conestoga township for over thirty years. This same property is now in possession of George J. Fehl, one of Jacob, Esq.'s sons, his other sons, Samuel L. and Albert, residing close by the old homestead. It was on this farm that the first Court of General Quarter Sessions was held while owned by John Postlethwait, and has now been in the Fehl family over one hundred and twenty years.

The Warfel family came originally from one of the German States. There were three brothers; two of them settled in Conestoga township, one in the northern and the other in the southern part.
Peter Warfel lived on the farm belonging at present to William Rice, his son Adam, next owning the same. Adam had several children, of whom John became a member of the Legislature in 1842, prior to which time he held several prominent positions in his native township. He died in 1865, leaving a widow and five sons and three daughters. The sons of one daughter are yet living.
Amos is in Conestoga township. He was one of the auditors of the township for three years, and is at present serving his second term of three years as a school director. Jacob, residing in Millersville. John M., now residing on a farm originally granted by Thomas and Richard Penn to Michael Quackel in 1761, and by him to Rudy Miller in 1763, and by him to Andreas Fehl in 1764, and by him to Jacob Miller in 1772, and by him devised unto his eight children, and in Orphans' Court, held at Lancaster, it was decreed that John Miller have and hold the same, etc. in 1782, and in the same year sold by him to Henry Lighty, and by him to Daniel Sterneman in 1792. He has held the offices of inspector and judge of elections for three successive years.
In addition to this family, there are other Warfels in the township, prominent among whom are Christian Warfel, who has been school director and auditor a number of years; George W., also a school director; Henry, a very extensive tobacco-raiser and general farmer; George B., farmer; and Valentine, a retired farmer. The Warfel family is not only one of the oldest in the township, but is among its wealthiest and most respected inhabitants.

Casper Hiller was born in Manor township in 1817, and removed to Conestoga township in 1828, since which time he has resided in the latter township. In 1837, one year after the adoption of the common-school system by the township, he began teaching school, and continued until 1849. In the latter year he began a small nursery, growing fruit, shade, and ornamental trees for the accommodation of those wanting them in the immediate neighborhood, and a few years after began growing fruit for profit. In the fall of 1869 he took into partnership with him his son , Peter C., and is yet engaged in the same business on a small scale in connection with a small farm of about thirty-five acres. He was elected a school-director in 1852, and re-elected to fill the position until the year 1865. He was a delegate to the Lancaster County conventions for nominations of county officers for many years, but since the adoption of the Crawford County system of nominating officers, has retired from politics. His children are Peter C., John, Emma, and Clara. Peter C. began teaching in 1866, and has been engaged in teaching ever since, with the exception of three years, and is at present one of the justices of the peace for the township; John, a house carpenter, now employed at the Pequea Iron Company's mine. Both live in Conestoga Centre. Emma and Clara, both married, are residing in Martic township.
Casper Hiller has been prominently connected with the State Horticultural Association of Pennsylvania and the Lancaster County Agricultural and Horticultural Society for many years and has produced and read many valuable papers on fruit-growing and farm products before these organizations. He has also been a surveyor and conveyancer for the last forty years.

Martin Kendig emigrated from Berne, Switzerland. He had two sons, Martin and Jacob. Martin had three sons and two daughters. John, one of his sons married Fanny Witmer, and lived in Conestoga township,



keeping hotel in Conestoga Centre as early as 1804, on what was then known as the road from Lancaster to Burkholder's Ferry. They had three sons and one daughter, -John Martin, Daniel, and Martha. John married Elizabeth Kline, and from her had three sons and three daughters. After Elizabeth's death he married Esther Sangree, from whom he had one son and two daughters, - Benjamin S., Sarah, and Catherine. Benjamin S. became a practicing physician in 1844, and continued practicing medicine until 1878. In 1863 he began purchasing and packing tobacco, packing that year about two hundred cases, employing a capital of about five thousand dollars, and increasing the business to such an extent that in 1869 he had to build a warehouse twenty-eight by thirty-four feet, and he is at present using it and three large ones in Lancaster, packing this year (1883) four thousand five hundred cases, and employing a capital of two hundred and twenty-five thousand dollars, employing during the season from sixty to seventy hands. The doctor's father died when he was six years of age, and left him without any pecuniary assistance. All his success in life he owes to his determination in early life to succeed. His children are D. G. (associated with him in packing tobacco, the name of the firm being Kendig & Son), C. Walter, William, Clara, and Esther.

Dr. P. S. Clinger came from Upper Oxford township, Chester Co., in the year 1843. He graduated from Washington University, at Baltimore, Md., in the spring of 1843, and came here and began the practice of medicine in March of the same year. He was prominent in politics of the township and county, being a delegate from Conestoga many years until the adoption of the Crawford County system, since which he seldom takes any active part. He was examining surgeon for the Ninth Congressional District for nine years, serving a part of the time under Lincoln's and the remainder of the time under Grant's administrations. The doctor has had a lucrative practice, and owns one of the finest residences in Conestoga Centre.

Dr. Jacob L. Mowery was born in Strasburg township in June, 1855. At the age of twenty-one years he began the study of medicine in the office of Dr. I. H. Mayer, of Willow Street, and graduated at the Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia, in March, 1878, and began the practice in April, at which time he came into this township. In May, 1881, he married Mr. John Steigleman's daughter, of Manor township. The doctor then purchased the property used as a hotel for seventy-nine or eighty years in Conestoga Centre, and moved into it in June, 1881, remodeling it and making therefrom a handsome residence.

Military. The following-named persons served as soldiers from Conestoga township in the great civil conflict:
                 Capt. George H. Hess                       William W. Aument
                 Capt. William G. Wasson                    Jacob J. Brady
                 1st Lieut. Calvin  BKendig                 John A. Diel
                 1st Lieut. Wm. A. Trapnell                 Mifflin A. Campbell
                 2d Lieut. David Warfel                     Martin Daily
                 2d Lieut. Amos M. Sourbeer                 Amos Funk
                 Elias Funk                                 Abraham M. Gall
                 John R. Courtney                           Benjamin E. Hess
                 Frank Sourbeer                             Jeremiah E. Hess
                 Jacob Shaub                                Zachariah E. Hess
                 John F. Dabler                             Daniel Hess
                 William Klineyoung                         Aaron Henry
                 James Boyle                                William Houseal
                 Miller Brady                               David S. Herr
                 Mark Beatty                                Benjamin Harmon
                 Aaron Fralich                              William Hickey
                 John Hill                                  John Little
                 Amos Hoak                                  John May
                 John Hebble                                Henry May
                 Jacob Hiller                               Joseph G. Rankin
                 Isaac Musser                               Martin W. Ressel
                 John McFarland                             William H. Lyons
                 John Sourbeer                              Noah Wade
                 Henry Shoff                                Hiram Daily
                 Franklin Smith                             Charles Davis
                 Charles D. Tripple                         Franklin Sourbeer
                 John W. Urban                              Benjamin F. Daily
                 B. F. W. Urban                             Samuel Lee
                 Frederick Virling                          David Lee
                 Urie Wilson                                Benjamin Fralich
                 Rohrer Phrame                              Joseph Urban
                 John McLaughlin                            Amos S. Urban
                 Jacob Stouter                              William Harley
                 F. M. Sourbeer                             Wesley Evans
                 Frank E. Jones                             Joseph Martin
                 George H. Daveler                          Martin Gossel
                 Jacob Crummel                              Christian Koll
                 John P. Good                               John Sawyer
                 Benjamin Kneissley                         Simon McCue
                 Ephraim Potts                              Amos Daveler
                 Amos Chambers                              Samuel H. Hess
                 Gustavus A. Kendig                         Henry Hall
                 Christ A. Lines                            John Caldwell
                 Benjamin K. Maynard                        Frank Henry

The following is a list of men who went into the field on the invasion of Pennsylvania:

                 Captain Calvin  B. Kendig                       Albert Hull
                 1st Lieut. Casper Hiller                        Jacob Henry
                 2d Lieut. Ephraim Potts                         John Heron
                 Michael Benedict                                Jacob Hess
                 John J. Watson                                  Valentine Kneissley
                 Jacob R. Yentzer                                Samuel S. Mehaffey
                 Eli W. Shenk                                    Obed. Musser
                 Benjamin Hess                                   Amos Musser
                 John M. Kendig                                  John Miller
                 Amaziah W. Erb                                  Benjamin Markley
                 Henry Hall                                      Amos Eckman
                 Christian Benedict                              James McPherson
                 Frank Carrigan                                  John Rohrer
                 Benjamin F. Hookey                              Jacob Ream
                 Benjamin Bortzfield                             Michael Rathvon
                 P. Martin Bruner                                John M. Shenk
                 William  Chambers                               Philip Sourbeer
                 Daniel Eckman                                   David Tressler
                 John Finen                                      Aaron G. Warfel
                 Samuel Gall, Sr.                                Christian Yentzer
                 William Guiles, Jr.                             John Zell
                 Daniel Hess                                     John J. Zercher

Return to CAHS Index Page