Braddock Trail Chapter, NSDAR
200 South Church Street
Mount Pleasant, PA 15666


Chapter Beginnings

Braddock Trail Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution was conceived on June 27, 1943, and organized on November 27, 1943, with sixty-three organizing members. Of these, seven were transfers from other chapters. Two ambitious sisters, who were Daughters by transfer, compiled data for the applicants of this new Chapter. For five months, Laura Hay (Mrs. James S.) Braddock of Mount Pleasant and Charlotte Hay (Mrs. R. Edward) Beard worked diligently to attract new members from the local area for the new chapter.

On December 15, 1943, the National Board of Management confirmed this fledgling Chapter as the Braddock Trail Chapter. Mrs. Braddock and Mrs. Beard suggested this name for the Chapter to commemorate the historic road which General Edward Braddock and his army passed over in 1775 on his journey to Fort Duquesne. This road came through what is now known as the Borough of Mount Pleasant.

The founding Daughters, now deceased, were active for thirty-five years. During this time, they enrolled over 200 members from Allegheny, Bedford, Fayette, Somerset, and Westmoreland Counties. With this large membership, it was difficult to find a suitable meeting place. At different times, the Chapter met in private homes, a disbanded schoolhouse, church parlors, American Legion home, Frick Hospital Nurses Home, and other places.