Wilson Family Photo Album
Civil War Era Wilson Family Album with CDVs (Cartes de Visites), circa 1860s.
Album #47 Wilson
Surnames: Wilson, Miller, Coulter, Osborne, Henderson, Camp, Blackledge, Harris, McConald, Byres, Beaty, Smith, Dent
Locations: Ohio, Iowa,
Types of Early Photographs
The type of photograph in an album helps to date the album
Daguerreotypes (ca 1839)
Photography in USA began circa 1839 but not many are found before 1854.
Ambrotypes (circa 1854)
The ambrotype was a glass negative backed with black material so it appeared as a positive image
Tintypes (ca 1855)
The Ferrotype process (tintypes) was introduced in the United States in 1855. It substituted an iron plate for glass and is one of a kind. No copies could be made from a tintype.
Carte de Visite or CDVs (ca 1859)
CDV stands for carte de visite. CDVs replaced ambrotypes, producing a card 2.5 by 4" CDVs arrived in the United States around 1859, on the eve of the Civil War (1861-1865). On June 30, 1864 a tax on photographs, ambrotypes, daguerreotypes and other "sun-pictures" went into effect. Tax Revenue Stamps had to be placed on the backs of photographs from that date (1864) until August 1, 1866. This helps date CDVs taken in this time period.
Cabinet Cards (circa 1870)
CDV’s were replaced in the 1870s by Cabinet Cards which were on a larger 4 by 6" card.
|I am pleased to now offer individual photographic reproductions for sale! You can purchase a photographic reproduction of any family photo from my albums. I have rescued over 2500 one-of-a-kind identified family photos taken 1850 to 1900.
List of photos as identified in album index in period handwriting
- 1. Sam Wilson
- 2. Handpainted tintype baby
- 3. Empty
- 4. Empty
- 5. Empty
- 6. Empty
- 7. Empty
- 8. Elmer Miller [tintype]
- 9. “Tomp” Miller [tintype]
- 10. Lizzie Coulter (child) [tintype]
- 11. Elsie Osborne [tintype]
- 12. Sade Wilson. PH: C J Daugherty, Photographer, Des Moines, Iowa x
- 13. Geo. Henderson. L M Rodecker, Cumberland Ohio
- 14. Elie Camp, Zanesville, Ohio. Mrs. S. A Rich (Photographer)
- 15. Walter Blackledge. J T Ayres, Photographer, McConnelsville, Ohio
- 16. Empty
- 17. Newspaper clipping dated May 9, 1890. Morgan County Democrat (cartoon of Harrison Warner at McConnelsville)
- 18. Empty
- 19. Empty
- 20. Empty
- 21. Empty
- 22. Empty
- 23. Bill Harris. J T Ayres, Photographer, McConnelsville, Ohio
- 24. [torn] A. B. Verso: Arthur Blackbridge. L. M Rodercker, Cumberland Ohio
- 25. Empty
- 26. Empty
- 27. John H. Wilson. J T Ayres, Photographer, McConnelsville, Ohio [Morgan County] x
- 28. Mary Ellen McDonald. Nicholson’s Premium Gallery, Crawfordsville, Indiana
- 29. Empty
- 30. Empty
- 31. Ella Byres [tintype, framed, ca 1860s]
- 32. No name. Tintype
- 33. Ennis Beaty. Tintype
- 34. Ad Smith. Tintype, framed [female]
- 35. Frank Dent. Smith. Newark Ohio
- 36. Asbery B. Wilson. Tintype x
- 37. Tintype. Name has torn. B---
- 38. Sam Wilson - CVD - T.A. Beach Photography Gallery, NW Corner Sandusky & Winter streets; Delaware, Ohio
- 39. Unidentified Baby Girl - Hand tinted tin type jewel image
- 40. Elmer Miller - tin type .
- 41. "Tomp" Miller - tin type
- 42. Lizzie Coulter - tin type - Young girl in dress seated in front of back drop
- 43. Elsie Osborne - tin type - Portrait of older woman.
- 44. Sadie Wilson - CVD - C.J. Daugherty Photography Studio; Des Moines, Iowa.
- 45. George Hendersonn - CVD - L.M. Rodbecker Photographer; Cumberland, Ohio.
- 46. Elic Camp - CVD - Mrs. S.A. Rich Photographer; Zanesville, Ohio.
- 47. Walter Blackledge - CVD - J.T. Ayres Photography; McConnelsville, Ohio.
- 48. Bill Harris - CVD - J.T. Ayres Photography; McConnelsville, Ohio.
- 49. Arthur Blackledge - CVD - L.M. Rodbecker Photographer; Cumberland, Ohio.
- 50. John H. Wilson - CVD - J.T. Ayres Photography; McConnelsville, Ohio.
- 51. Mary Ellen McDonald - CVD - Nicholson's Premium Gallery; Crawfordsville, Indiana.
- 52. Ella Byres - tin type
- 53. Unidentified - tin type.
- 54. Eunis Beatey - tin type
- 55. Ad Smith - tin type.
- 56. Frank Dent - CVD - W.A Smith Photographic Art Studio; no. 125 North Third St., Newark, Ohio.
- 57. Asbery B. Wilson - tin type
- 58. Unidentified man - tin type - Three quarter portrait with bushy mustache.
Purchase Your Ancestor Photo in 3 Easy Steps
Step 1: Write down the Album #. Example: #55
Step 2: Write down the Name & Number of each photo you are interested in. Example: MA-2, MA-15
Step 3: Place your order for individual quality photographic reproductions