Alexander Boomhauer Family Photo Album
Album #33 Alexander Boomhauer
Red Music Box Album
Frank Alexander, Travelling Photographer took many of the photos and some are of his family. The photos appear to be of a family descended from John Boomhower aka Boomhauer and his wife Submit Whitcomb. Their children and descendants are individuals in the photographs.
Children of John Boomhower aka Boomhauer and his wife Submit Whitcomb
Surnames: Boomhower, Boomhauer, Alexander, Simpson, Lawton, Stewart, Babcock, Dobbs, Leaman
- Finetta [BOOM-22] born 1833 New York married Thomas Leaman [BOOM-20]
- Emily [BOOM-20] married Peter Lawton [BOOM-19] [son Levi is BOOM-16]
- Simon Peter 1843-1912 [possibly "father" ]
- Mary Ann 1839-1922 [BOOM-8, BOOM 9 referred to as "my father's sister" ]married Mathias Lawton [BOOM-10]
- John J born 1837 [possibly "father" ]
- Elizabeth 1835-1921 [BOOM-4 referred to as "my father's sister" in album] married Robert Simpson [BOOM-6]. Their daughter Nina Simpson [BOOM-2]born 1864 Wisconsin married Frank E. Alexander [BOOM-1]
Locations: Iowa, New York, Wisconsin
Types of Early Photographs
The type of photograph in an album helps to date the album
Daguerreotypes (ca 1839)
Photography in USA began circa 1839 but not many are found before 1854.
Ambrotypes (circa 1854)
The ambrotype was a glass negative backed with black material so it appeared as a positive image
Tintypes (ca 1855)
The Ferrotype process (tintypes) was introduced in the United States in 1855. It substituted an iron plate for glass and is one of a kind. No copies could be made from a tintype.
Carte de Visite or CDVs (ca 1859)
CDV stands for carte de visite. CDVs replaced ambrotypes, producing a card 2.5 by 4" CDVs arrived in the United States around 1859, on the eve of the Civil War (1861-1865). On June 30, 1864 a tax on photographs, ambrotypes, daguerreotypes and other "sun-pictures" went into effect. Tax Revenue Stamps had to be placed on the backs of photographs from that date (1864) until August 1, 1866. This helps date CDVs taken in this time period.
Cabinet Cards (circa 1870)
CDVís were replaced in the 1870s by Cabinet Cards which were on a larger 4 by 6" card.
|I am pleased to now offer individual photographic reproductions for sale! You can purchase a photographic reproduction of any family photo from my albums. I have rescued over 2500 one-of-a-kind identified family photos taken 1850 to 1900.
List of photos as identified in album. Some are dated.
- BOOM-1. "Frank Alexander." Photographer F E Alexander, Travelling Photographer
- BOOM-2. "Mrs. Frank Alexander, nee Miss Nina Simpson". Photographer F E Alexander, Travelling Photographer
- BOOM-3. "Nellie Simpson" [sister to Nina]
- BOOM-4. "Mrs. Elizabeth Simpson, my fatherís sister. " v = "Elizabeth Boomhower born 24 Feb. 1835 d/o John Boomhower & Submit Whitcomb d 1 Sept 1921 md Robert Simpson". Photographer F E Alexander, Charlton Iowa
- BOOM-5. "Robert Simpson & family". Photographer F E Alexander, Travelling Photographer
- BOOM-6. "Robert Simpson". Photographer F E Alexander, Albia Iowa
- BOOM-7. NN. Reynolds Studio, Norton Hill, Greene Co. NY Lambs Corners
- BOOM-8. "Mary Ann Lawton, my fatherís sister". Newton Iowa
- BOOM-9. "Mrs. Matthias Lawton (Mary Ann) d/o John & Submit Boomhower. 23 Apr 1839-Jan. 1922"
- BOOM-10. "Mathias Lawton". Photographer G L Bates, Newton Iowa
- BOOM-11. " Lillian Stewart d/o Robert Stewart, Rensaelearsville". Photographer Albany NY
- BOOM-12. "Sarah Stewart (baby) Apr 22, 1897". Albany NY
- BOOM-13. "Sarah Stewart Mar 11, 1898 d/o Mr and Mrs. Judson Stewart". Ravena NY
- BOOM-14. "Hannah Smith Babcock. Dec 6, 1894". Albany NY
- BOOM-15. " Everett Babcock. Oct 14, 1891 Albany NY"
- BOOM-16. " Levi Lawton. 1895. Troy NY" [born1867 s/o Peter & Emily]
- BOOM-17. "Etta (Dobbs) Lawton Ė Mrs. Peleg Lawton. Brooklyn NY"
- BOOM-18. NN
- BOOM-19. "Peter Lawton (wife was Emily Boomhower, sister to Simon Peter) Middleburgh NY"
- BOOM-20. "Emily Lawton nee Boomhower (Mrs. Peter Lawton) Cobbleskill & Middleburgh NY"
- BOOM-21. "Thomas Leaman. Wife Finetta Boomhower. Fond du Lac WI"
- BOOM-22. "Finetta Leaman, was Finetta Boomhower, my fatherís sister. B 6 Oct. 1833"
- BOOM-23. "Lawton"
- BOOM-24. NN
- BOOM-25. loose, no name
Purchase Your Ancestor Photo in 3 Easy Steps
Step 1: Write down the Album #. Example: #55
Step 2: Write down the Name & Number of each photo you are interested in. Example: MA-2, MA-15
Step 3: Place your order for individual quality photographic reproductions
Some Thumbnail Photos from Alexander Boomhauer Family Album