WPA Interviews - R
WPA Historical Records
Benton Co., Oregon
Mark Phinney




History of the RUBLE Family


May 2, 1938


Mr. RITNER was interviewed at the old home where he has lived all his life, on the Luckiamute River at the mouth of Ritner Creek. The old homestead is just north of the Benton-Polk County Line.

"My name is Lew RITNER. My father, Sebastian RITNER, was born in Switzerland and was educated in the German language. He was never able to read English. He came to Missouri and in 1844 or 1845 he came to Oregon. He came in the same train with Reeves and John Lloyd who were about the first settlers in Benton County. Father wanted a place for a stock farm and he chose this place on the Luckiamute. He took a donation land claim and as he was able bought more land until he owned about 1,100 acres. He said this was good range on the hills, and far enough back so that it would not be settled for many years. His range would not be cut off. All the hills about here that are not heavily timbered with second growth fir and oak were then bare except for an occasional big tree which seeded the whole country as soon as the settlers kept down the fires. The hills were covered with rich grass and cattle would keep fat on the range all winter long.

My mother was Sarah WOODLING. She was born in Pennsylvania but moved to Missouri where she first married my father's brother, John RITNER. Mother crossed the plains in 1852. Her husband was fatally injured on the way in the runaway of an ox team. About two years later mother married my father.

By her first husband mother had four daughters: Annie who married Joe ALLEN; Missouri, the wife of Joe EDWARDS; Flora, who was Mrs. Jim WATERS, and Mary who married Lee HANNON. All have children still living in this part of the Willamette Valley.
My father's children where John, myself, and Sophronia, who married a man named GRANT. Her son, Richard GRANT, now lives in Corvallis.

Father brought some cows with him from Missouri. He had a hard time getting started in the new country until news came of the discovery of gold. He went to California and made a stake. With that start he prospered raising cattle. The cattle were marketed in Portland, and in the mines of Eastern and Southern Oregon. Father tilled the ground only enough to raise what we needed on the farm. When Fort Hoskins was established he used to furnish grain and hay for the mules.

I was born in 1857. All my schooling was at the Peedee school, where I was taught reading, writing, spelling, arithmetic, geography, and history. Among my teachers were Charley MILLER, Annie LEVENS, Jim HUGHES and Mr. LOTTSENHISER. The school house was a frame building about twenty by thirty feet, with home made furniture. The blackboard was made by painting the wall black. There were only about twenty or thirty pupils in the district.

I remember Fort Hoskins well, as a boy I knew Phil SHERIDAN and the other officers. Many the dimes I got from them.

There were great numbers of deer and elk in this part when I was a young fellow. Some men made their living by hunting for meat. At first we had only muzzle loading rifles. Finally my brother and I each got us Winchester rifles. I remember one time three of us located a band of about thirty deer. We surrounded them and the three of us killed nine. I got seven myself. We used to get the Indians to tan the skins for us. We would give them half for the work. Sometimes we would have moccasins made from elk skins. The Indian-made moccasins fitted as well as any shoe.

One day, when I was about eighteen, my father was not well and he told me to sell a bunch of cattle when the buyer came. He said to take $25.00 a head. I dickered with the man and finally sold for $27.50 a head. When I took the money to father he said I was a better salesman than he was, and I might have the extra money for myself. After that I attended to all the selling.

Father's health continued bad and soon my brother and I were running the farm. Father said we might have all except a living for mother and himself. I continued on the old home place raising stock for a while, but later I raised considerable wheat. I had as much as 200 acres some years. Most of the grain we sold at Wren where there was a large warehouse. One season the outfit I worked with thrashed 36,000 bushels in this community, now almost none is raised.

The biggest amusement for me as a boy was horse-racing. All the young people, boys and girls both, rode horses and when a group came together there was sure to be a difference of opinion as to whose horse was the fastest. When a young fellow took a girl to a dance or a party, instead of a buggy he used two saddle horses.

I considered myself a good rider, and I used to break horses for the neighboring farmers. Nine years ago I went to Pendleton to the 'Round-up' and enjoyed seeing the modern bucharoos doing their stunts.

Dances were held about once a week at a private home or at the hall in Dallas. This hall was about one hundred by forty feet and sometimes the crowd was so large that a part had to go to the Courthouse. There was a saloon next to the dance hall, but no drunkenness was allowed at the dances. The saloon keeper played the fiddle for the dancing, and the sheriff was always present to keep order. Whenever any one showed any signs of liquor he was put out without any ceremony. Once at a private dance a man showed up drunk and he was hustled to the woodshed where he went to sleep with a knot for a pillow. It was a cold night and as no one paid any attention to him he almost froze to death.

Sometimes we had play parties. We played 'Old Dan Tucker' and 'Skip to Maloo'. A man named KELLY used to teach singing school. I had a good voice and used to enjoy singing bass.

Father had been brought up a Catholic but mother belonged to the Evangelical church. The first preaching I remember in the part was by CROSSMAN and BOWERSOX, the Evangelical missionaries. The Evangelical church held this field and other denominations did not come here much. The Evangelicals held their camp meetings in a big maple grove out in the Valley by Lewisburg. Rev. Mr. PRATT was one the preachers, and there were HIRSCHNER, DICK, and F.A.YOST.

It seemed to me preachers did not use to be so strict in their ideas as now. Before prohibition came into effect in Oregon I had twenty five acres in a hop yard. I used to have three preachers working for me during hop picking. Now they condemn the raising of hops. When prohibition began to spread the market for hops fell off and the yards had to be closed out.

In 1882 I married Clarinda EDELMAN, whose people had crossed the plains in an early day. Our children were Annie ARNOLD, whose husband is now farming the old place, Ella SHEYTHE, who lives on an adjoining farm, and Peter. Roy RITNER, who was a member of the State Legislature from eastern Oregon, was a distant relative.

I think our country is travelling at much too fast a pace. We may come out of it alright,--if we have a change soon.


June  1936
Mr. and Mrs. ROBERTS were interviewed at their home in the hamlet of Wren.  Mrs. ROBERTS' faulty memory was reenforced by references to the family Bible.  Mr. ROBERTS' recollections were seemingly clear and dependable.

(Said Mrs. ROBERTS:)  My mother was Margaret Mahala MULKEY, daughter of Elijah and Jane MULKEY.  The family Bible shows the following birth dates:

Elija Mulkey                  born Jan. 1, 1812
Jane McAdams (his wife)       born Nov.15,1819
William Sublett Mulkey        born Jan. 15,1835
Joseph Mulkey                 born March 27,1837
Daniel Boon Mulkey            born Sept. 7 1839
Mary Ann Mulkey               born Nov. 28 1841
George Mulkey                 born August 20, 1844
Elijah Mulkey                 born August 20, 1845
Christopher Columbus Mulkey   born August 20, 1848
Margaret Mulkey               born April 11, 1851
Thomas Cyrenus Mulkey         born June 20, 1854
Elvarow Mulkey                born June 24, 1856
Miles Franklin Mulkey         born Dec. 28,1858
Overton Johnston Mulkey       born Sept. 20,1862

Elijah MULKEY came to Benton County in 1853.  He was the brother to Johnson MULKEY, who had built the first permanent residence in the vicinity of Marysville (Corvallis) in the summer of 1845.

Almost at once grandfather went to the Applegate River in southern Oregon.  About 1860 he came north again and located near Burnt Woods on the head of the Yaquina, at a time when there was no road and he had to go in on pack horses.  He lived there the rest of his life.  He died and was buried by the roadside there sometime in the 'eighties.  His body was afterward moved to the Odd-Fellows Cemetery near Corvallis.

My father, James ROBNETT, was born in 1838. His father was Stephen ROBNETT who took a donation land claim on Oak Creek about three miles from Corvallis, in 1851. My parents were married in 1873.  They lived for a time on Oak Creek, then on the Charles KING place near Harris Station.  I was born in 1874.  About 1873 my parents went to eastern Oregon.  Grandmother ROBNETT, who had  become blind, went with us.  She died in 1886 in California not far from Reno, Nevada.  In 1887 my folks came back to Oregon.  We lived for a while at Harris Station, then between Toledo and Newport.

In 1894 I married J.H. BROWN, son of Jonathan BROWN and grandson of Solomon Kelly BROWN.  Solomon Kelly BROWN settled in the "Forties near Corvallis.  My children are Jessie Jane (DeMORRIS), James W., Margaret (SHIELDS), Cecil, and Glen.  After my husband's death, I married Joe ROBERTS.
(Said Mr. ROBERTS)  My father, Marshall ROBERTS, came to Oregon first with his parents in 1849.  He was seventeen years old at the time.  Grandfather ROBERTS settled in the Tualatin Valley not far from Portland.  Father went back east and led another train across in 1852.  He then took a claim in Portland, or where Portland is now.  His garden was about where Meier & Frank's Department Store now is.  Then a man came along who had a vision of a seaport and was going to found a town.  I do not remember his name.  He said Portland was the best natural harbor on the coast.  He bought father's right for $80.00.  At that time a man named TICE (SP?) and a man named STEVENS lived on the west side of the river and a man named William STEVENS lived on the east side.  After the man bought father's place he advised father to buy one of the others which was for sale, but father didn't have much faith in the proposed town.

Father moved about a great deal.  He homesteaded in succession at Lafayette and in the red hills of Yamhill County, and then sold out his right.  He lived for a time at Tualatin and then went to Sherwood.  Grandfather ROBERT'S children, as I remember them, were Jim, John, Sam, Margaret (WALL), Jane (PERISH,) and my father.

My mother was Jane, daughter of Nancy Jane and Tom TURNER who crossed to California in 1845.  In 1849 grandfather TURNER opened the first mine on Pitt River.  He later sold out his interests there for $250,000 and founded the city of Alturas, California, where he died.  I never heard how my parents met and do not know the date of their marriage, but it must have been in the 'sixties.  I was one of the younger children and I was born in 1879.

Father's children were Laura (FISHER), John, Annie (CLIFFORD). Charles, George, Susan (LARSEN), Maggie (WELCH), Robert, and myself.  I was born at Tualatin and attended school in the country districts.  My first teacher was Jim HOUSE.  The next was Aggie GAGE.  She was only sixteen and had pupils older than herself, but she was a successful teacher.  She would have made a great teacher but she died just a little later. Walter TOOZE, a lawyer of Portland and father of Walter TOOZE who had recently been prominent in Oregon politics, was one of my teachers.  Joe BARNES, grandfather of Walter TOOZE II, ran the first saloon in Tualatin.

I lived in the vicinity of Tualatin until I was twenty-seven, then went to Newberg.  I have lived all my life in the Willamette Valley.  I helped set out the first big commercial prune orchard at Dundee, near Newberg.  The company was owned by a Chicago man named FOREPAUGH.  Joe MORRISON directed the planting and my brother and I helped.

My first wife was Cornelia KEYS, whom I married in 1906.  I have one daughter, Ruth SAWYER.

June 5, 1939
(Note: Since members of the RUBLE family were pioneer millers in Oregon, it seemed best to include some details of similar activities of other members of the family in earlier days in the Eastern states. This history is therefore carried further back than has been customary in the work of the Historical Records Survey in Oregon. These extracts were taken from material in the possession of Mrs. Charity FLOOK, 318 N. Twelfth Street, Corvallis, Oregon.)
Thomas RUBLE, son of Levi RUBLE, was of the fourth generation of RUBLES in America. He was born in Pennsylvania in 1797. He was married to Elizabeth IRONS, daughter of John and Sussanna IRONS, who was born in Philadelphia in 1795.
Thomas RUBLE's children were: Elizann, born in Fayette County, Penn., in 1821; William, born in Monongalia County, Virginia 1822; Elma, born in 1824; Sarah Jane, born in 1826; and Susanna, born in 1828; David, born in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1830; Mary Lavine, born in 1833, Elizabeth born in 1835.
Elizza RUBLE married Jenkins COX in Wabash, Indiana in 1844. This couple afterwards moved to Kansas and farmed on a large scale. They did not come further west.
Elma RUBLE married Ephraim BADGER and Sarah Jane RUBLE married Bennett TOM. Both these women were married and widowed before coming to Oregon.
William RUBLE married Ruth RUSSELL, Susanna married Thomas PASLAY, and David married Orlene RUSSELL.
Thomas RUBLE operated a grist mill in Monongalia County, Va., until about the year 1834 when they disposed of the mill and moved to Indiana by way of vehicle and flat boat. With his family Thomas RUBLE settled in Adams County, Indiana, when they operated a grist and saw mill in 1837. Thomas RUBLE invented and secured a patent or an improvement of the turbine waterwheel. He is supposed to have pioneered in the use of turbine water wheels for mill power, as the overshot wheel was the wheel in common use at that time. Soon after this he sold out his interests in Adams County and moved to Wabash County, where he embarked in a general merchandise business.
Thomas RUBLE's son, William, built and operated a saw and grist mill on the Macinaway River in Wabash County, Indiana. His mill was washed away after he had operated it for about five years. He then sold out and moved to Benton County, Arkansas, where he again built a mill, but soon sold it and moved to Bary County, Missouri. Not being content with conditions there he sold out and with David RUBLE and their wives came to Oregon in the year 1853, settling in the Eola Hills about five miles west of Salem. Both men took land donation claims. As they were favorably impressed with conditions in Oregon they corresponded with their friends they left in Indiana and Missouri. As a result their father and mother and sisters Elma Rose and Sarah Jane moved to Oregon in the year 1856. Elma BADGER and Sara Jane TOM had both lost their husbands and Elma had married Andrew Jackson ROSE about a year before they came to Oregon. Rose came to Oregon, also. Sarah Jane TOM married Jerry CLARK soon after coming to Oregon. All four couples raised large families, the greater part of whom are living at this date (1928).
William and David RUBLE operated a grist mill at Eola, Oregon, about 1859. William RUBLE operated his farm in the Eola Hills until about 1880, when he purchased a gold mine in Jackson County. David RUBLE was a mill wright and sold out his Polk County property and moved to Alsea in Benton County about 1872.  There he operated a saw and grist mill for many years. About 1888 he homesteaded land where the town of Waldport (Lincoln County) is now located and planted the town of Waldport. He did much to establish it as a commercial and social center, and had interest in Waldport until the time of his death.
Thomas PASLAY, husband of Susanna RUBLE PASLEY, was a minister of the Gospel. This couple moved from Missouri to Washington Territory about 1877. They owned a farm in the Palouse County from whence they moved to Douglas County, near Pateros, Washington.
All of the fifth generation of RUBLES, the sons and daughters of Thomas RUBLE, have long since passed to the Great Beyond. Their descendants have reached a number approximating five hundred... The RUBLES have, as a rule, been religious people to whom we can look back with pride...We never knew of a RUBLE being intoxicated or of begging his daily bread, although but few have aspired to much wealth...

by D.R. RUBLE, son of William and Ruth RUBLE
"William RUBLE was married to Ruth RUSSELL in Wabash County, Indiana, November 20,1844. Soon after their marriage he embarked in the milling business on the Masinaway River in Wabash County. He operated a saw and grist mill. In this enterprise he was very successful at the start but about three years later a high flood came and washed his mill away. Fearing that such an experience might be duplicated if he rebuilt, he concluded to sell out and seek a new location. Upon selling his property he moved by horse conveyance to Madison County, Arkansas and there built another mill similar to what he once had in Indiana. He did not operate this mill but a few months, when he sold out to good advantage and moved to Barry County, Missouri. There he built another saw and grist mill and felt for some time that he had landed in a most desirable country.

"But it so happened that in the spring of 1853 he became discontented with society conditions and on very short notice he moved to Oregon buy ox team and one carriage drawn by one horse. They were six months on the road and like most immigrants suffered much hardship on the plains and in the mountain country. The most of the hard luck was caused by unfriendly Indians. I have heard them tell their experience of crossing the plains many a time and my mother often said "she was stout and rugged until she took that trip and said it just about wore her out". Upon arriving in Oregon they took a donation land claim about four miles west of Salem in the Eola Hills.
"My father having a great taste for horticulture engaged in the nursery business together with his other farm work. He was naturally gifted for the nursery business. One might take twenty trees, all different kinds not labeled, and put them in a bunch and he could sort them out as true as if labeled. But the nursery business like all other callings had its dark days and during one of these trying times he concluded to abandon the nursery business. For several years he raised both tree and small fruit and as prices were good he made money. Royal Ann cherries sold from 20 cents to 25 cents per pound and berries from 50 cents to 75 cents per gallon. Strawberries were often hauled to town in bushel boxes. The writer remembers of the little one-horse load of fruit selling for as much as one hundred dollars. He owned for several years, I suppose, the largest orchard in the state, but tree fruit was not always in good demand, especially apples. One season he had a large crop of apples and sold it for one thousand dollars to a man by the name of BAKER, but BAKER wanted thirty days time and as he was reported strictly sound he took his note and returned home. After thirty days had expired BAKER responded with the thousand dollars as per agreement, but it so happened that the thousand dollars were all in greenbacks, which were worth only fifty cents on the dollar.
"My father had to swallow the disappointment with much of his calculations badly shattered. He was not only a food fruit raiser but a mechanic as well. He also raised considerable wheat. Just about the time his farm was blooming into a great enterprise he fell into temptation and bought a mountain tract of timber with a saw mill. After operating the mill for about three years he sold out and came back to the farm. The farm seemed to take on a new lease of life, but once again he yielded to temptation and bought a large gold mine in Josephine County. This undertaking would have been a success but after buying the mine he had to spend as much as the mines's first cost to settle his rights to the mine. He continued to operate the mine until the time of his death.
"After a few years after coming to Oregon he took up the study of the Greek and Hebrew languages, for all he had no teacher, he mastered the two languages to the extent that he could translate each language into English with surprising results. Before he left Missouri he was ordained a minister of the Gospel in the Christian church. This was not exactly his choice but his brethren thought he might be going into country where were but few preachers and that his service might be in demand, but arriving in Oregon he soon found that preachers were equal to the demand and not being gifted in oratory he did but little in the ministry but he contributed much to the religious papers and also to the secular press. He was surely well gifted in writing. He never seemed to lack for words at the point of his pen.
"During the last ten years of his life he wrote two books. One was "Letters to the Jews and Gentiles", and the other was "The Wonders of Revelations". He was a great believer in education and I believe he did his full duty to help his children acquire an education.

Family History of William RUBLE and Descendants.
William RUBLE, son of Thomas and Elizabeth RUBLE, born in Virginia, 1823; married Ruth RUSSELL in Wabash County, Indiana, in 1844. Their children were Florence, Columbia, Thomas Paslay, Walter, William N., David R., Pacific, Schuyler, and Viola.
Florence RUBLE was born in Arkansas in 1849. Her children were Ann YAGER and Bell TEAL.
Columbia RUBLE was born in Missouri in 1851. Married W.N. MAXWELL in 1878. Their children were Roy, William N., Orville, Maud Thiel and Clev C. Thomas Pasley RUBLE, born in Missouri in 1853, married Norah CRAIG. Their children were Alice Jones and Frederic T. RUBLE.
Walter RUBLE was born in Polk County in 1855. Married Laura Gertrude STARBUCK in 1883. Their children were, Laurena Gertrude, m. to James LeRoy CABLE. Wilfard Arthur, m. to Amy Caroline MULFORD. Jessie Elizabeth RUBLE. Walton Lloyd RUBLE.
Chester Starbuck RUBLE. Arlie Francis RUBLE m. to Chester Laurence MITCHELL. Renald Alfred RUBLE m. to Lavian ABETA.
William N. RUBLE was born in Polk County in 1858. married to Sarah Jane MCKAY in 1882. Their children were, Bertha married to Fred ROOT. Bonnie Bell married to Claude WILKERSON. Bernice Elda RUBLE. Blance Lavern married to C.Raymond MCINTOSH. Bethel married to William C. CLUBB. Webster Martin married to Mary E. CROMBIE and Willis Vernon married to Mable CARTER.
David R. RUBLE was born in Polk County, Oregon 1860, and married Laura DICKERSON in 1886. Their children were: Joshua William married to Pearl ZOSEL. Thomas R.. John, married to Edith FRANKLIN. Edward Julius married to Catherine HERESY.
Pacific An RUBLE was born in Polk County, 1862, and married Charles MCDULIN. Their children were Ethel, married to Robert W.VEIT. Claude married to Nessie WHITAKER. Lester married to Edna KING. Charles Lloyd.
Schyler C. RUBLE was born in Polk County in 1865 and married Abigail SMITH. Their children were: Edith married to Joseph W. HAMMOND. Lola married to Dr. C.A. ELDREIDE. Clarice married to Dr. Francis M. SMITH. Zelle.
Viola RUBLE was born in Polk County in 1866 and married Thomas J. GARDNER in 1891. They left one child, Vesta married to Fred ENTERMILL.
by Florence RUBLE WOLF, oldest daughter of William RUBLE.
I was about three years old when my parents left Missouri in the spring of 1853.
When we came to the Rocky Mountains the captain of our train refused to give traveling orders, and my parents, with Uncle David RUBLE and his wife, became separated from the train. Soon seven mounted Indians were following us, and from the actions we feared an attack. My father quickly climbed into the wagon and changed his clothes to make it appear that he was another man; then he asked Uncle David, who was ill with mountain fever, to get out and walk a few steps. Uncle said he was too weak, but my father insisted that if he would take only a few steps it might save us all from being murdered. Uncle then got out, and by holding on to the wagon, walked a little way. Then the Indians began to slow up but towards evening went on to a high hill. Father guessed they meant to watch for our campfire and attack us in the night. He thereupon gave mother the whip and told her to drive on and he would build a big fire to fool the redskins and would overtake us. We traveled all night and the next day came to the main train that we had left.
At one point in the Rocky Mountains we were halted by two or three hundred Indians that were anything but friendly. They were very exacting in their demands and tried to take my father captive. As he stood by a large tree they shot many arrows into the tree, and they would run at his oxen with blankets and yell to scare them but father was able to control his oxen.
There was a pretty young girl in the train about twelve years of age and the Indians meant to capture her. She was very much frightened. Her family tried to hide her under some bedding but the Indians threw the bedding off. About that time ten or more men came to her rescue with whips and clubs and drove the Indians away. After some parleying and giving them food, the captain blew three blasts on the bugle which was the signal to move on. The Indians did not understand what the sounds meant and were all out of sight in two minutes.
We were much of the time in fear of the Indians and sometimes our food supply was very low and we were on the verge of starvation. But for all our hardships we finally landed in Salem, worn and weary but happy to be at journey's end. Father started with six oxen, a horse and a cow, but got through with only two oxen and the horse. Soon after we arrived my father took a donation land claim of half a section about five miles west of Salem in the Eola Hills, where he lived about thirty years.
Extracts from Mrs. FLOOK's compiling
Our grandfather, Thomas RUBLE, was born near Washington, Pa., on January 6,1797. His father and mother were Levi and Nancy COFFIN RUBLE, who were pioneers in western Pennsylvania. Our Grandmother, Elizabeth IRONS, was born in Philadelphia on October 27, 1895.( Surely this should be 1795?) Her father and mother were John and Susannah IRONS. Her father died when she was quite small and her mother afterward married a man by the name of APENCER and to this union a son, Jesse, was born. I can remember when our grandmother corresponded with him. He lived in Pennsylvania but cannot remember where. Neither do I know if there were any other children.
We know nothing of our grandparents from their birth until their wedding day, which was on the sixth of January, 1820. (Our grandfather's twenty-third birthday.) They were married in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, and lived there until after their oldest child was born, for in looking over the old records we find that Eliza An was born in Fayette, County , Pennsylvania.
Some time after her birth they moved to Monongalia County, West Virginia, settling near Morgantown on a stream called Cheat River. Our grandfather was a miller by trade, so built a grist mill and ground his own and his neighbor's grain. On March 22,1823, their oldest son, William, was born. Then on December 21, 1824, my mother, Elma, was born. Another little girl, Sarah Jane, was born on December 1,1826, and Susannah on November 7, 1828. Then David, the second son, on December 11,1830, and in June, 1833, Mary Lavina was born.
Like all pioneers they were not satisfied in one place very long and in 1832 they left Virginia for Indiana. Grandfather had one horse but not a vehicle of any kind, but being a resourceful man he made a wagon to fit the horse but when they got their provisions and baggage all in they found there was not much room for the family. However they found room in the wagon for grandmother and the little children and grandfather and the older ones walked. So in this way they started on their long journey of something like 400 miles. When they reached navigation grandfather procured a flatboat, put all their possessions in it, and floated down the rivers until they reached the little village of Cincinnati where they left their boat and took to land again and traveled in this way, walking and taking turns riding for about 100 miles until they reached the Wabash River, where they settled. Grandfather built another mill and started life all over again.
The land was very fertile but low and swampy and full of malaria and it was not long until they came down with chills and fever. Then in March, 1835, Elizabeth, the youngest, was born. Our grandfather was an inventor and while living here he invented the turbine water wheel. He made a model, took it on his back and started on foot to Washington. D.C., to get it patented. Just how much of the way he walked, we do not know. His brother was a captain on a steamboat that plied up and down the Ohio River. He might have gone up the river with him as it would have taken him a long way on his trip. Before going he tried to figure how long he would be gone and left provisions and as much money as he could spare with grandmother and started on his long journey which he made and got his patent. But he was gone much longer than he had anticipated. Mother came into the house one day and found grandmother in tears. When she asked what was the matter she said, "I am afraid something has happened to your father", as he was gone so much longer than they had expected and no word had come from him. She took the woman's way of thinking the worst had happened, and said all her money was gone and there was nothing in the house to eat and she did not know what to do. A neighbor woman had been wanting mother to work for her but she did not relish the idea of going away from home to work and had begged to stay at home, but when grandmother told her their plight she went and earned seventy-five cents a week and with this she was expected to keep her self in clothes and help the family at home. I presume Aunt Eliza was working too by this time as they all worked as fast as they were old enough.
Uncle William, being a lad of fourteen or fifteen years of age, was supposed to take care of the crops and the mill while grandfather was away. It was up to the girls to earn money to keep things going. Mother said she thought it was the happiest day of her life when one of the smaller children came over one day and told her father had come home. The woman she worked for had allowed her the privilege of going home on week ends but when she heard that father had come she told the woman she wanted to go and see him. The lady told her it was only the middle of the week and she had better wait until Saturday, but mother said, "No, I'm going now". She went and had her visit with father and then went back and worked for the woman for a long time. She told of taking a trip on a canal boat with this woman which she thought was quite an event in her young life.
After grandfather got home things went a little better. Mother worked away from home most of the time and suppose the others did too, but they had their good times together for mother has told me of their sleighing parties, their skating parties, and their singing schools. There was not much schooling for any of them but there was some, for mother told of getting so enraged at their teacher for punishing Aunt Jane for some trivial offense that she took her and went home and would not go back again.  Mother never learned to write until I was old enough to remember her going to writing school and learned enough to write her own letters. It was while they were living in Indiana that they lost their two baby girls. They both died at the age of thirteen years and the rest grew up and married except Uncle David.
Our grandfather was quite a traveler in his day for mother told of his going to New Orleans two different trips with a flat boat loaded with flour. He sold the flour and disposed of the boat for enough to pay his way back on the steamer. After living in Indiana fourteen or fifteen years they moved to Missouri. By this time there were six families. they settled in the southwestern part in Bary County near the Ozark Mountains. Here grandfather built another mill on White River and all settled down for life again. But in 1852 my mother lost her husband, Ephraim BADGER. This left her with four little children and not much to go on. Then the next year her two brothers, William and his family and David and his wife, got the Oregon fever and left for that country early in the spring on 1853. They liked it so well they wrote back to the others what a fine place it was and in 1856 three of the other families were ready to start.
In the latter part of 1853 my mother met and married my father, Andrew Jackson ROSE, and in September, 1854, my brother Harvey C., was born and with mother's four by her former marriage and father's two by a former wife, their family now numbered seven, but this did not deter them from making the hazardous journey across the plains. So on the sixth of April, 1856, they, with grandfather and grandmother, and Aunt Jane TOM (who was a widow by this time) and her four small children, the caravan was ready to start out.
The details have been given elsewhere by my oldest brother who was old enough to remember much that took place along the way. Will only speak of the birth of my youngest brother, William H., on the 12th of October in southern Oregon. They still had almost two hundred miles to go so it was some time in November when they arrived at their destination in the Eola Hills near Salem. My father and mother lived in Polk County about two years, then moved to Linn County near Lebanon where they were content to live and die. Mother had made the long trek from Virginia to Oregon in a wagon and father from Kentucky by way of Texas to Missouri and on to Oregon. On June 29, 1860, I was born and grew to womanhood and I will now give the births and marriages of this branch of the RUBLE family.
Thomas Ruble BADGER was born October 20,1845, in Grant County, Indiana, and was married to Martha Ellen BOUNDS September 30,1867, at Buena Vista, Oregon. Thomas BADGER died at Albany, Oregon, September 1921, and his wife passed away in April 1923.  Their children are as follows: Elma Rosetta was born May 27,1869, and was married to Frank C. WILEY. Mary Elizabeth was born March 27, 1873, and was married to Wilbur B. HOLMES. Margaret Arizona was born February 13, 1874, and was married to D.D. COFFEE in 1892 and died in April 1893. Dollie Winefred was born November 7, 1878, and was married to George E. JIDERS. Clarence was born July 14,1880, and was married to Bertha CHITWOOD. Ethel was born August 2, 1882, and was married to E.P. HUGES. Olive V. (deceased) was born September 7,1884.
Elizabeth Irons BADGER was born December 10,1847, in Grant County, Indiana, and was married to John GRISHAM near Lebanon, Oregon, March, 1863. Their family was Willim M., born October 1864 and was married to Mamie THAYER. Suphronia A. was born July 14, 1866, and was married to Milton MORRIS. Charles V. was born August 29,1871, Lemual R. was born September 11,1873, and was married to Myrtle CROWFOOT and later to Maud TROTTER. Emma E. was born September 18, 1875, and was married to William DIBBLE. Ira C. was born October 7, 1877, and was married to Byrl TEGG. Oscar was born April 19,1880, and was married to Drucella BILYEU.
Margaret BADGER was born May 10,1850, in Madison County Arkansas, and was married to John V. STRONG in December 1867. To this union the following children were born: Horace William, January 2,1869, and was married to Ida N. MILLER. George E. STRONG, April 19,1871, and was married to Josephine KLUM. Ephraim Perry on April 16, 1873, and was married to Ada MICKLEM. Lilly Bell in November 1876. Harvey, February 1,1878, married to Orpha HUNTSMAN. Leonard in 1880. Ella May, July 20,1884, and was married to Aubrey WOLFORD. John, Junior, in 1886...(After the death of her first husband...the mother married again to William SLATER.

Ephraim BADGER was born August 3,1852, in Barry County, Missouri. He married Octavia LOVELADY on September 30,1877, and the following children were born to them: Daisy Viola on October 29, 1878 and was married to Richard LEWMAN. Rose Arizona was born July 18,1880, and was married to Leslie BAILEY. She passed away several years ago, leaving two children who were reared by their grandparents. Ephraim BADGER'S life work has been that of a minister and many people have been brought to a knowledge of Christ through his preaching.
Harvey C. ROSE was born September 24,1854, in Barry County, Missouri...He married Jennie GIBSON, October 2,1884, their children are Elma A., born July 10,1885; Linn W., on August 20, 1889, Luella V., September 25,1891, Russell C., born December 4, 1893, and Vela, March 11, 1897. Linn married Glades DUNCAN. Luella married James CORNWALL. Russell married Nellie MEISNER and
Vela married Lynn BURRELL.
William H. ROSE was born October 12,1856, in the covered wagon near Canyonville, Oregon, as his parents were nearing the end of their long journey from Missouri to Oregon. He married May WHEAT October 12,1884. The following are their children: Hattie Mable, born August 9, 1885 and was married to Clarence J. INGRAM. Elma May on July 7, 1889. Charles W., on August 27,1898, Alice Reatha on February 2,1905 and married William B. BAUGH. Bessie Bell on August 29,1907, and was married to Chester CAMPBELL.
Charity Arizona ROSE was born on June 29, 1860. The only one of the family who could not claim the honor of being an Oregon pioneer, a fact which she always regretted. She married Thomas MCBRIDE November 29,1884. He passed away on November 10,1891, and on April 20,1893, she married to John G. FLOOK who had served Douglas County as a member of the Oregon legislature in 1868, and fathered the bill to put Oregon State College in Corvallis. Mrs. FLOOK has no descendants of her own, but has mothered two step-daughters, Mrs. Jessie FULKERSON and Miss Ellen FLOOK.
Life of Sarah Jane RUBLE CLARK
by her son A.L. CLARK
Sarah Jane was born in Monongalia County, in what was at that time part of the "Old Dominion" state. Her parents...were of Pennsylvania German stock. While yet a small child her parents decided to go west, where new land was being thrown open for settlement.
Her father, being a mechanic, decided to overcome the long distances and poor, if any, roads and adopted an easier plan. He constructed a flat boat which he hewed, both gunwales and bottom, from virgin timber on the banks of the Monongahela River. The family and all the possessions were loaded on the flat boat. They floated down the Monogahela to its confluence with the Alleghany at Pittsburg. Thence down the Ohio to the mouth of the Wabash. The flat boat was pulled up the Wabash a short distance and the settlement was made. They were not far from the Ohio and the Wabash and Ohio canal, constructed later, passed through their place. As there were no mills for either sawing lumber or grinding grain, her father set up water wheels and built two mills, one for each purpose.
When she was nearly grown the government opened a large area of Indian land, near the present location of Columbus, Ohio. Her father, disposing of his property on the Wabash, moved to the Ohio location. It was probably on this journey the one-horse wagon made entirely of wood came into the legend. It was an overland route and I do not recall mother stating just how they went, but it is my impression most of the family walked. I do not recall that she ever mentioned wither Will or David in connection with the hegira to Ohio. Being grown to womanhood and the parents being very poor financially, she worked out when occasion offered. Standard wages for girls doing house work, milking, etc., was fifty cents a week. Calico at that time sold for thirty cents a yard.
Since there was little demand for working girls except for a few weeks on occasion of a confinement case. She told me of two different cases where the newcomer beat the doctor, so she had to officiate in the interim.. She thus got a start even before her own marriage in what was destined to be her great calling in life.
The reader should bear in mind these humble ancestors were extremely poor. They raised a few sheep to buy warp and logwood, indigo, analin, or other coloring, all hands turned out in season and dug ginseng roots which in that time sold for 25 cents per pound. Every girl had to learn to knit, spin and weave linsey and jeans, which were the standard goods for everyday or Sunday
wear. Homespun, homeknit socks for both men women or go without.
The reader has doubtless noted a great diversity of opinion as to various names and places and manner of living, but I regard it of less importance just where they lived, why they went there or the mode of travel than their outstanding conduct and sturdy citizenship in every community where they lived.
Just prior to her marriage to Bennett TOM a neighbor had invented what was probably the first threshing machine. It got its power from the wagon wheels on which it was mounted. Hence the necessity for smooth ground. They were staging the test on a school house play ground. Something went wrong and the inventor who was feeding attempted to go over the cylinder, while yet in motion...slipped and stuck one led up to and including the knee into the machine. They got a tourniquet on the leg, carried him into the schoolhouse and sent for two country doctors. Their tools were inadequate. Thomas RUBLE furnished his tenon saw and a small butcher knife. The doctors had some smaller instruments. There was neither ether nor choloform at the time. The school house was full of men and women. For light they used tallow candles. When the gruesome ordeal was finally over, besides the two surgeons, there were just three people in the room, each holding a candle that the medics might see to finish the amputation. They were Thomas RUBLE, Sarah Jane RUBLE and Bennett TOM, her future husband. I relate this incident to show her early qualifications for the countless numbers she was to minister to and relieve in time of need.
Just how long after her marriage they continued to reside in Ohio I will not attempt to say, but they left there and went to the White River valley in southern Missouri, and later crossed White River into Arkansas. The parents remained on the Missouri side of the river. Bennett TOM was operating a saw mill on Roaring , a tributary to White River. Oscar, Lovely, and Washington were born there. Will and David RUBLE had crossed the plains to Oregon. The parents and others were preparing to follow when Bennett TOM was stricken with typhoid and passed away.
Besides her little flock of children she had a few cattle and some equipment. She joined a wagon train in which per parents, A.J. and Elma ROSE, and others were included. They came by the California Route, through Nevada and north by the Shasta Route. Referring to the verse (see poem attached) mentioning Mount Shasta, they were informed that they would have to make a dry camp at a certain small ravine, but to have all the water vessels ready as the water would reach camp soon after dark, would flow probably one hour and cease. All would be dry by morning, hence the warning to fill all tubs and buckets for water in the morning. Sun shining on a glacier in the afternoon melted the snow which did not arrive at the foot of the mountain until after dark.
The Indian troubles of 1855 had been terminated and they came trough in safety. Will and David, who as stated had preceded them by three years, had settled on the hills back of Eola. Mother and the children found temporary quarters for themselves and the stock nearby. They lived there about five years and there she married J.G. CLARK, with whom in 1862 they moved to Alsea in Benton County. There was no road except a pack trail. They bought the first wagon to Alsea over this trail.
It was here in this isolated valley that her work as a midwife took on new impetus. Distances were great and doctors at Corvallis, Philomath, or Monroe were virtually out of the question in confinement cases. Some of the feats she accomplished were really remarkable. Six weeks before I was born she rode a horse seven miles to wait on a suffering mother. Just four weeks before Sister Lou was born she rode three miles to a confinement case. She never failed to go and never failed when she arrived. In view of the present statistical record that, under our modern system of surgery and hospitalization, there is in the country and annual average of 25,000 potential mothers who fail to return from their walk "Through the valley of the shadow of death" is not this record that in sixty years of active practice she never lost a mother or a child, worthy of note?
To give modern readers some conception of her humble yet efficient methods, I will relate one of many difficult cases. The husband, who had a smattering of medical lore, attempted to officiate. It was a breech birth and when he had failed miserably, he dispatched the woman's aged father, a distance of some four miles, for Mother CLARK. The day was hot, the old mare slow. On the return trip the old man on foot, Spurred on by the spirit of desperation, hurried with all the strength within him. But there were three gates to open, so he kept the pace. When he opened the last gate he said, "Now ride for life". All the way he had been talking to himself, "If the girl only lives until she gets there". Sterilization of her hands occupied only a few minutes. The proper adjustment was made, and the mother in her weakened condition "How long? How long?" And mother answered, "In about five minutes." Within twenty minutes after she entered the house the infant was delivered. That child, a girl, after sixty years, is still living. Later I joined her in marriage to a young man who, too, was one of Mother CLARK's children. And when their first two children were born, old Grandma CLARK was again in charge. She always, where possible, rode on the run,  regardless of darkness, adverse weather, conditions of the roads or mountain trails. With her there was but one thought, to get there.
Now to get some idea of the "steel blue" nerve that carried her through so many hazardous situations, I relate this incident which almost (barely?), and only because of her strength and coolness in time of danger, averted Alsea's greatest potential tragedy. In the face of a silver thaw rapidly thawing, my father
unadvisedly drove a light team and wagon into the Alsea River just below the present town of Alsea. The stream was far above fording. Less than twenty feet from shore, father and mother realized the situation. Five of us children, ranging from Alice of about eleven years down to Mollie, the babe in long dresses, were huddled under the canvas top. No opening except out front or the usual circular hole at the rear. Mother took the lines and held the team against the winning current while father made his way to the rear and carried us ashore. It was raining, the water was like ice in temperature, Alice ran up the bank and screamed for help. Two men happened to be passing and came to our help. Neither of them were able to swim. Father finally detached the halter ropes, tied them together and to a hind wheel. Got the rope to one of the men who secured a turn on a small tree. The outfit was gradually drifting across the bar of the ford and would soon have been in deep water where drowning for mother would have been inevitable. As the rope drew taut the rig gradually swung ashore. Not until the horses were safely ashore did she consent to be helped from her tragic situation.
Just one symptom of hysteria and the family would have been lost. The ordeal had lasted fully an hour. Father almost perished from the cold. Time and again he was swept down by the current and forced to swim either to the rig or ashore, before he could regain his footing. Then in that trying ordeal of gripping those lines for probably more than an hour of time, without fear of possible consequences to herself, she demonstrated indefatigable fortitude which marked so well her eventful life.
Like most of those blended with the RUBLE blood she was much interested in horticulture. She was not content except in an environment of fruits and garden. This trait was most predominant in her brother, Will, who, with the exception of the LEWELLYNS of Milwaukie, was probably Oregon's greatest pioneer orchardist. David RUBLE was equally well versed along horticultural lines, yet did not engage in the same marked extent in the industry.
During the summer of 1919 I worked for a time on the famous Crane Orchard across the Columbia River from Brewster and Parteros. There I discovered I was on the Tom and Susanne, Will and Morgan PASLEY holding.(Susanne RUBLE PASLEY was a sister to Sarah Jane RUBLE CLARK) It was indeed, thrilling to a devoted lover of fruits to behold the original trees set by those early pioneers to that section of the broad sweep of the Columbia River through central Washington. Another thrill as I visited the ADAMS house in Pamas and learned that most of the study cherry and other fruits which adorned their home came from the nursery of William RUBLE.
This work would be incomplete indeed, did I not mention the splendid trait of motherhood she so effectively passed on to her five daughters. Lovely WARFIELD was the mother of ten, Alice SLATE with fourteen, many of whom are prominent in the world of industry. Sarah with a large family all prominent in their various vocations, Lou and Mollie whose friends are as numerous as their acquaintances. Lou, while living, and Mollie yet, both well versed in literary and social prominence have in their turn produced families of which any mother could be justly proud.
In life she was unselfish, active, honest and industrious. In death her greatest monument is of her own construction--built through the years of her life in the minds and hearts of her neighbors whom she served so efficiently. She died in March, 1920.

On May 20, 1846 she married Bennett TOM. To this union were born:

(1) David Ruble TOM, March 20,1848, in Indiana. He married Emma TAYLOR and to this union were born Mabel Grace (1883) and Frank (1885). David died in 1918.

(2) Oscar TOM, born 1850, died unmarried in 1935.

(3)Lovely TOM was born 1851. Married Tom WARFIELD, 1867. Died 1926. The children were : Elizabeth Jane, born 1868, married Linn HEADRICK; Samuel N., born 1870, married Lucy SEELY; William J., born 1872, married Grace WALKER; Inez E. born 1874, married M.J. FERBRACHE; Frank B., born 1877, married Lena WALKER; Belle, born in 1879; Della born 1881, married Thomas BARCLAY; John R., born 1883 married Ora HUNT; Leroy, born 1886 married Loura MILLER; Thomas, born 1889, married Tressa GOODMAN.
("I believe the two eldest of the WARFIELD children worthy of special mention. Elizabeth and Sam, when the father passed away, unselfishly shouldered the burden of helping the mother rear the younger ones...Sam in later years was elected County Recorder and from that to Sheriff. The first time he was appointed to fill a vacancy and was so well liked that he was elected without opposition..served two successive terms)...
(4) Washington (Dick) TOM was born in 1854, married Adeline BERRY, 1884. Four daughters were born to them. Laura, born 1885; Jennie B. born 1888, married I.S. RAILSBACK; Edna, born 1889, married J.H. MILLER; Ruby born 1891, married W.W. McKINSEY.
(5) Tobias TOM was born 1856 and married Lulu CHANDLER. The living children; Bernice married J. PERIN and Beryl married Agnes BOWEN.
After the death of Bennett TOM his wife came to Oregon, where she married J.G. CLARK. To them were born

1. Alice, born 1859, married Porter SLATE, 1878. Of their fourteen children eleven grew to maturity. They were: Thomas B (1880) married Edith ROHRBAUGH; Francis B.(1882) married Bessie M. MILLER; Grover (1885) married Dora ANDERSON; William A., (1886) married Ethel HART; Mary A. (1888) married Wiley A. DRIVER; May (1889) married U.S. MISHLER; Belle (1890) married Hugh SHAW; Frederick H. (1894) married Emmadine CURRY; McLennon (1897) married Florence HOWARD; Daisy C. (1902) married D.L. ASHTON.
2. Jerry Jr. 1862-1887
3. Sarha R. was born 1863, married August SCHLOEMAN. Their children were; Sidney (1890) married Glades HORNING; Edna e. (1892) married Elmer MCKEAN; Alvin A. (1894) married Loie SPENCER; Carl W. (1898) married Edythe WARFIELD; Marguerite, (1900) married Charles HURST; Conrad j. (1904) married Glades MURPHY; June (1907) married Edmond PEDRO.
4. A.L. (Abe) born 1865, married Madge BRADLEY. Their children were: William J. (1898) maried Eunice GILKEY; Robert L. (1899) married Geneva BROWN; Blanch (1900) married Norman LING. Paul N., ((1903); Ruby (1908) married Phineas BERCHALF.
5. Lou S., was born 1868 , married Murray HENRY. Their children were: Laurel (1893) married Arthur GOFF, Arthur A. (1894) married Marian F. STINE; Ernest E. (1896) married Geneve KERR; Harold H. (1898) married Alta HENRY; Mable M. married Harvey GRAHAM.
6. Mollie E. born 1870, married Leslie LILLY. Their children were Clifford N. (1896) married Ruth EDWARDS; Marion (1899) married Margaret BOND; Marie, twin of Marion, married Wallace SINGLETON.
June 7, 1939
by her children George W. and Anna Eliza
...(Our parents lived in Missouri, but father was a preacher and a sympathizer with the Union Cause. Since they lived in a part of the country that was being fought over by regular and guerilla troops they found it safest to remove to Kansas for a time. Later they returned to the old home..)
In the fall of 1865, although mother and I objected, father insisted that we go back to our old home. We started but when we got to Washburne Prairie, where I was born, mother refused to go any further. Father then traded a wagon and three horses for eighty acres of land and a fair house. Soon after that I married and began to pull west. The remainder of the story will be written by my sister Analiza (Ann Eliza).
Part Two
Brother Will was followed by another boy, Morgan,and after him came the twins, Juliza and Analiza. Father and mother lived on the farm near Casaville, Missouri, twelve years during which time two more children, Thomas and Susan Dora were born.
At this time (1877?) the family included Grandmother PASLAY and a young man and his sister began the long trip across the plains. Mother was released from housework on this trip, but what a job to cook over a camp fire for a bunch of hungry travelers. In Kansas, one rainy morning, the hack in which mother was riding overturned, breaking her arm. A stop was made long enough to set it and on we went. We girls and Brother Will's wife took turns at the cooking. We stopped in Boise City one month.
While there a drunken man came to our camp and hung around. Mother, who was strong and robust, stepped up to him, shook her fist in his face, and told him to clear out, which he did in a hurry...We traveled on into Washington and settled in the famous Palouse Country, where we lived seven years. Mother was destined to begin frontier life anew in the Big Bend Country. Here, on the famous Columbia River, she lived with all her children near her.
Her last days were spent in the home of her daughter, Anna ADAMS. She was always a good Christian, friend, and neighbor. My earliest recollection was of a home in which widows and orphans were taken and given tasks around the house to pay for their keep, the women weaving cloth or knitting, the children having a good time in the wonderful forest the surrounded our home. It was marvelous how mother manager her household. In these days (1930) it would require a small fortune to carry on
as she did. At the age of seventy three she passed away...
The following are the descendants of Susan PASLEY:

(1) George W. PASLAY (b.1849) married Mary A. YANDELL. Their children were Thomas P., Henry Calvin, Susannah Jane, William Henry, Columbia May, Nettle Bell, Rosa Myrtle, Kate Airline, Lore Elma, and Grace Edith.
(2) William RUBLE PASLAY (1851) married Mildred J. TUTTLE. The children were Valley B., Walter Scott, William F., Bessie Arliene, Pearl, Oscar, Herbert, and Ruth Phoebe.
(3) Morgan (1862) married Sarah BOONE. Their children were: Charles Thomas married Frances BEACH; Roy Daniel married Pearl Elizabeth DEZELLAM; Frederick; Lula Fay married Arthur E. DEZELLEM; Pansy Elizabeth married Walter PEASE.
(4) Anna L. (1866) married G.N. ADAMS. Their children were: Endora, married Clyde MILLER; Arthur, married Myrtle RAMBI, Cecil C., married Frances FULTON; Mabel E., married Donald BOLDT; Ralph; and Francis.
(5) Juliza (1866) married Vailey J. TUTTLE. The children were; Thomas Victor, married Mary Eva CAVE; Chester A., married Alma RUBIN; Mildred L., married Frank BROCKMAN; Capt. F.J. TUTTLE married Henrietta L. HAIGHT.
(6) Thomas G. married Grace DAWSON. One child, Clarence.
(7) Susan Dora met accidental death in girlhood.

David Ruble was born December 11, 1830, in Momongalia County, and was the son of Thomas and Elizabeth (IRONS)RUBLE, both natives of Pennsylvania. His father was a millwright and inventor of the turbine wheel, patented in 1830, he was united in marriage to Orleana RUSSELL, who was a very desirable companion. Mrs. RUBLE was born May 28,1834. The next day following the wedding they began their long journey from Missouri to Oregon.
Captain SMITH was in charge of the immigrant train consisting of twenty-five wagons. The train was stopped by a band of Indians and asked to give of their provisions, which left them short of food for the remainder of their journey. The Indians each had a new rifle with a piece of red flannel tied to the barrel. Aside from fright and being robbed of their provisions they were unharmed. Four Indians and four white men had to smoke the pipe of peace.
Many hardships were endured and at one place David and his brother, William, left the train which was bound for California, and traveled alone. They were followed by Indians and only by outwitting them were they allowed to proceed on their journey. After six months they arrived at Eola Hills, afterwards removing to the village of Eola, west of Salem, in Polk County.
In 1871 David moved to Alsea where he built the first saw mill and grist mill to be operated there. In 1879 he homesteaded where the town of Waldport now stands and later laid it off in town lots, being the founder and promoter of that town. He was the first postmaster in Waldport besides holding many other responsible positions.
He spent several years freighting flour and grain down the Alsea River in flatboats, which he built. Each trip he had to walk back of Scotts Mountain. He kept a record of the trips by cutting notches in an alder limb under which he walked. The limbs recorded sixty-seven trips. He gave ground for a mill, church, store, and several residences for the development of the town, and enjoyed to an unusual extent the good will of his fellow citizens. David RUBLE died November 17,1907. His wife died February 15,1911. They are buried near Waldport, Oregon.
Children and Grandchildren of David RUBLE.
(1) Marion (1855) married Clara HELMS.

(2) Victoria (1857) married Edwin BALDWIN. Their children: Bert Arthur, married Paulena VOLEN: Una Ethel, married Roscoe MILLER; Bessie Madge, married M.L. JOHNSON; Jessie Della; Hallie Hazel,
married W.E. DAWSON.

(3 Arizona (1859) John H. GLINES. Their children: Emma Ione, married Fred WILLIAMS; Halie Winnifred, married Hermon NELSON, Halcie, married Annie HANSON.

(4) Orange J. (1861) married Lydia PHILLIPS. Their children: Carl; Caryle, married Lester MCDULIN; Greta, married Wesley B. GILMORE. Like father and grandfather, Orange J. was a miller.

(5) Marshall W., born 1863

(6) Eldorado (1866) married Daniel R. SPENCER. their children: Perry E., Gertrude, married to LeRoy THOMAS; Hugh D.; Kenneth M..

(7) Arsina (1868) married Richard EVANS. their son, Leslie Howard, married Merle OLMSTEAD.

(8) Nart Kavubam born 1870.

(9) Martha (1872) married Walter S. HOSFORD. Their children: Erwin, m. Grace BILLINGS; Glades M. married Douglas MORSE; Beulah married Norman BOYLE; Vernon W. married Verla EVERSON.
Sketch of Elma RUBLE ROSE
by Thomas Ruble BADGER.
She was born to Thomas and Elizabeth RUBLE in Monongalis County, Virginia, December 21,1824, and moved with her parents to central Indiana where she was married to Ephraim BADGER sometime in 1844. Two children where born to them in Grant County, Indiana. They moved to Barry County, Missouri, where two more children were born, the last one a short time before the death of her husband which occurred in the spring of 1852. In 1854 she married to Andrew Jackson ROSE who had two children by a former marriage. She continued to reside in Barry County, Missouri, until the spring of 1856, when the family (now consisting A.J. and Elma ROSE and Thomas R., Elizabeth, Margaret and Ephraim BADGER, Thomas Jefferson and James Monroe ROSE (her step-children) and Harvey Crawford ROSE) started with ox-teams for Oregon, her two brothers, William and David RUBLE, having preceded her to that Territory in 1853. Crossing the plains with them were her father and mother and a widowed sister, Mrs. Sarah Jane TOM, and her four children, David, Oscar, Lovely and Washington. After getting started sometime in April all went well until they got somewhere near the line of Missouri and Kansas which was then very thinly settled, when one night all the horses (three, if we remember right) were stolen by white thieves which were notorious at this time and place and preyed heavily on the emigrants bound for the Pacific Coast. Also about this time the party had much trouble in crossing many streams, they being at times much swollen by heavy spring rain and hail storms, there being neither bridges nor ferries...
The next trouble, or we should say near trouble, was from a band of Cheyenne Indians. We had just crossed Little Blue River when two Indians supposed to be chiefs came to us on their ponies, dressed most gorgeously in beads, paints and feathers. They rode along with us for some miles, inspecting everything connected with our train which at this time consisted of only three wagons, four or five adult men, three women and ten children, the oldest in his eleventh year. We had with us beside the ox teams some ten to fifteen cows and heifers. These two Indians left us about 10 o'clock A.M. and rode off toward the Blue River and we never saw them again. But following us about one-half day's travel from us was another emigrant train consisting of about thirty wagons and some 75 or 80 adult men with a large drove of cattle. Just as they approached the river which we crossed in the morning about 500 Indians stopped them and robbed them of flour, bacon, sugar, coffee, and tobacco; did not take all they had, but its presumed all they wanted. They also took as many as they wanted of their fattest cattle and proceeded to butcher them there. This train, when allowed to proceed on their way, never stopped until they reached our camp near morning of the next day. After that the two trains traveled together until we reached the Humbolt River in Nevada.

Our next scare was at the North Platte River bridge where we came near being caught between two hostile Indian armies. Both armies were in plain view on either side of us, but there was a small U.S. force stationed here to guard the bridge, the commander of which told the Indians that, whichever side began the fight, he would take his men and help the other side, and thus the fight was averted.
Perhaps it would be well to state here these lines were written entirely from memory after a lapse of 63 years and therefore many incidents are too indistinctly remembered to justify their recording here.
But the next item of note as we remember it was the capture of eight highway robbers by some immigrants traveling just ahead of us who held their prisoners until three or four immigrant trains came up. This was somewhere near the present line between Utah and Nevada. When the men of the several trains got together, formed a jury and gave these men a trial as best they could, the result was they were all condemned to be shot at sunrise the next morning, except one on account of his youth being under twenty years of age, but during the night two of the men escaped. The other five were executed promptly next morning and the emigrants resumed their journey but the second day one of the escaped men was sighted trying to find something to eat where a train had camped the night before. He was promptly taken and executed. The writer heard this man make a confession of the many crimes he had committed, among which were from three to perhaps five or more cold blooded murders he had committed for the purpose of robbery.
The next excitement, as we remember it, was on the Humbolt River in Nevada when we espied a small band of Indians coming toward us bearing a red flag. This was the summer that the Cayuse War was being fought by the people of Oregon and Washington and the various Indian tribes of eastern Oregon and Washington and southern Oregon and northern California, so we were expecting we might be attacked at any time by hostile Indians; therefore the appearance of Indians with a red flag caused no little commotion in our camp. As soon as they came within hailing distance they were ordered to stop, which they did, and a messenger was sent to them Then it was found they were on an errand of peace and not war. They were the bearers of a document from a U.S. officer of that region stating they were peaceful, but they certainly hoisted the wrong flag, it being a large red bandana handkerchief on a pole.
At what was then known as the big bend of the Humbolt we (the RUBLE, ROSE and TOM families) left the main road and took a more northerly course via Honey Lake, Pitt River, and Yreka, as our
nearest way to Oregon. We left the regular Indian route somewhere in Utah on account of the Indian Wars then being fought along that route.
Coming on across the Sierra Nevada mountains and before we reached the old stage road from Portland to San Francisco we heard of the murder of a station keeper at Hatt Creek Station by Indians, about two weeks before our arrival there. This was in the morning of the day in which we reached Hatt Creek station that some of the children of the party started on the road ahead of the wagons. Not knowing there was a road leading away from our road, they took the wrong road. They were all small, ranging perhaps from five to eight or nine years. Margaret BADGER being out of sight ahead, the others turned back to the forks of the roads in time to see the wagons. Either not knowing or forgetting to inform any of the older ones that Margaret had not returned with them they went many miles before either her mother or any of the older ones knew of her absence. You may imagine how a mother would feel to have her six year old lost in such a place. However, a man was sent back on horseback who found her at the place we had camped the night before. Camping that night at the Hatt Creek stage stand and realizing the danger from Indians, two men were placed on guard and the next morning just at daybreak they discovered two Indians stealthily approaching them through the heavy timber. They at once began firing at them. The Indians ran away and were seen no more. That day we met a company of Oregon soldiers looking for the Indians who had massacred the station keeper two weeks before. Never heard if they got any of them or not.
Passing on through Siskiyou County, California, and Jackson County, Oregon we arrived at Coe Creek, Douglas County, Oregon, where our half brother, William H. ROSE, was born. It was then raining and the roads never having had anything done to them after the clearing away the logs and trees just enough for the wagons to get through, it became very slow traveling, but we finally reached the Umpqua River valley where we met David RUBLE, mother's younger brother, who had walked all the way from Salem to meet us and assist us on to our destination where we arrived all safe and sound sometime in November, being nearly eight months on the road. Now in closing would remark that a trip across the plains even in those days was not all trouble and alarm, but many pleasant days with hunting, fishing and gathering wild fruits and berries.

Return to Historical Records Index

Return to Benton County GenWeb Page