|Wellington County GenWeb|
WRIGHT Family, The.
This family has been prominently identified with Guelph Tp., and
the "Paisley Block" since 1832, when James G. Wright, Sr., and his family of
eight children made their first settlement here. He was b. in Dennington,
county of Norfolk, Eng., in 1798, and removed with his parents to Lexfield,
where he was raised and educated. He m. in 1821. Issue: James G., Jr., William
P., set. Penn.; Mrs. Erastus Jackson, Henry, John, George, Mrs. Tovel and one
Mr. Thomas Wright, from the time of his arrival, took an active interest in everything for the promotion of agriculture, and to the direction of local and municipal affairs. He was a member of the old District Council which included the present counties of Wellington, Waterloo, and Grey, and was several times promoted to the Wardenship of the District, and frequently served as Commissioner on the county roads. After the passing of the Baldwin Municipal Bill, he was time and again elected Councillor and Reeve of Guelph Tp. and Warden of Wellington County, and was appointed arbitrator to settle the pecuniary differences between Wellington, Grey and Waterloo counties. He took a deep and lively interest in the development of the local resources of Wellington County, and to him may be attributed in a great measure, the construction of the county gravel roads. He was the father of the Brock road; the scheme which he proposed being accepted by the County Council, the co-operation of Wentworth obtained and this great undertaking became an accomplished fact, and led to the construction of other leading roads throughout the county. In 1851 Mr. Wright ran in the Conservative interests against Mr. A. J. Ferguson for Parliament and was beaten by a small majority. Had the Party leaders consented to his real sentiments on the Clergy Reserve question, the test question of the day, being known, the result probably would have been different. He was active in the interests of agricultural associations and was Secy.-Treas. of the South Riding Agricultural Association for years. He originated and successfully established the Guelph Township Mutual Insurance Society, in which he held the office of Secy.-Treas. In fact there was hardly a public matter in his time, affecting the county of Wellington, in which he was not a leading spirit. As a neighbour and friend he was warm-hearted, generous and kind. He passed away in 1863, and his wife, who was b. in 1799, d. in 1875.
Late James G. Wright, Jr., b. Lexfield, Suffolk, Eng. in 1824, was seven years old when he came with his family to the "Paisley Block, " where he was practically raised and spent the remainder of his useful life. He m. Maria Fisk, dau. of the late Augustus Fisk, mentioned elsewhere in this work. He early started in life on his own account and from a small beginning accumulated a large property. He was a pioneer in, and a noted breeder of thoroughhbred cattle, Leicester, Cotswold and Oxforddown sheep. He never sought or held office, but devoted himself entirely to his large agricultural interests, cultivating his farms of about 600 acres of lad in Guelph Tp. He was a member of the Methodist church and a liberal supporter of the same. He had the following issue: William H., Albert E., Walter (d.), Herbert, Dr. Hiram, practicing physician, Detroit; Harry B., dentist, Detroit; Mrs. Israel Kelly, Mrs. Wm. R. Elliott, Mrs. Joseph Tovell, Agnes (d. age 16), and Mrs. Herbert Cormie; all b. on the "Paisley block" farm. Albert E. set. in Manitoba.
Herbert, m. Nancy E. Phin. Issue: Howard P. and Gertrude G. He owns and resides on the old homestead, lots 9, 10 and 11, con. 2 (300 acres) , Guelph Tp., and is also interested in a stock farm in Alberta. He makes a specialty on the Guelph farm of thoroughhbred cattle and Oxforddown sheep and in Alberta of Hereford and Shorthorn cattle and Clydesdale horses. He is also a large dealer in stock.
Mr. Wright was the pioneer in the district in the sugar beet industry, and obtained a large contract for growing beets from the Ontario Sugar Co., Ltd., of Berlin, when their factory was first started. He is a man of affairs and has been in Council of Guelph Tp. four years and Reeve since 1905.
William H. Wright, left home age 23, to take charge of timber for his father. He ran a sawmill in Grey Co. for a year; farmed for seven years in Peel Tp. and in 1887 commenced with the Bell Organ Co, and is at present foreman of the machine room, He m. Miss Welsh.
From: Historical Atlas of the County of Wellington, Ontario. Toronto: Historical Atlas Publishing Co., 1906
Copyright © 2004-present These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without my written consent