"This township lies upon the shore of Long Point Bay, having Woodhouse Gore to the east, Windham and Middleton on the north, and Walsingham on the west" ... "Charlotteville was settled in 1796. A number of UEL's took up lands in the township at that early day, among whom were the Ryersons, McCalls, Walshs, and a few others."1 Early Settlers include - Job Lodor Family, James Mitchell Family, Ryerson Family, Daniel McCall Family, Andrew McInnes Family
"The Township of Houghton lies in the south west corner of Norfolk. It is triangular in shape, it's northern portion forming an acute point running up between the Townships of Walsingham and Middleton on the east, and the Township of Bayham on the west. The base of the triangle lies upon the shore of Lake Erie, but presents no natural harbour throughout its entire extent" ... "Houghton was first settled along the Lake Road, which in its western half ran between the present Lake Road and the shore. The earliest settlers were the Beckers, Loucks, Burgars, in the eastern part, and the Walker family in the east"1
"Middleton lies to the north of Walsingham and Charlotteville, having Houghton and Bayham on the west, Dereham and Norwich on the north, and Windham on the east. The Little Otter runs through the western part, Big Creek through the eastern part, and the Venison Creek takes its rise in the south. It is therefore well watered, and abounds in excellent mill privileges" ... "Middleton was settled about the time of the war of 1812...The earliest settlers were Frederick Sovereen, Henry Sovereen, Joseph Lawson and the Browns. Gradually settlers began to take up the lots on the Talbot Street, which was opened for traffic in 1824... The fertile district known as Upper and Lower Goshen was settled about 1835... The south part of the township was not settled until later."1
"The Township of Townsend is inland, being separated from the lake by Woodhouse. It is bounded by Walpole on the east, Oakland on the north, and Windham on the west" "The first settlers of Townsend came in from the south. The Culvers were the first settlers of the township... they were followed by the Beemers and the Sovereens. Immigrations went on, but slowly... The north eastern part of the township was not settled until about 1830"1
"This important township fronts on Long Point Bay. It has Houghton on the west, Middleton on the north, and Charlotteville on the east... Taken as a whole, Walsingham promises to be one of the finest agricultural districts in the county. Much of it is yet new, especially in the west" "Walsingham was first settled about the year 1791. The south eastern part of the township was first taken up. There was no settler west of Big Creek until Elias and Mary Foster settled with their family in 1803... but previous to that time a number of families had settled near Big Creek and Charlotteville... It appears that the central and northern parts of Walsingham were not settled until between 1840 and 1850. From that time until the present there has been a steady in-pouring of farmers."1 Early settlers include - John Backhouse Family, Samuel Barber Family, Henry Kitchen Family
"This fine township lies to the north of Charlotteville, to the west of Townsend and to the east of Middleton... It is rectangular in shape... In form it resembles Townsend, although strictly Windham is the only township in the county which is perfectly regular in its shape... The south-eastern part of Windham was settled at a very early period, more especially in the vicinity of what is now the village of Colborne. Here the Beemers, Culvers, Bowlbys and others, had settled at the close of the last century. Soon after this a settlement was established on the Round Plains, but it was many years before the interior portion of the township was occupied... During the last five years of the last half century, the course of settlement has flowed steadily on"1
"This township lies in the south eastern angle of the county, and consists of six concessions and a broken front bordering on Long Point Bay. There is also a wedge shaped tract on the west called the Gore of Woodhouse. In area, therefore, it is somewhat over one half of an ordinary township" 1 ... Settlement started in the 1790's along the lake front.
1 Quoted from the 1877 Historical Atlas of Haldimand & Norfolk Counties