Perth Courier

Perth Courier Obituaries

supplied by Christine M. Spencer of Northwestern University, Evanston, Il., USA.

Perth Courier, June 24, 1891

Margaret Mitchell, relict of the late James Quigley, passed away on Monday, 13th July, to the “rest that remaineth to the people of God”.  The subject of this sketch was born in Argyleshire, Scotland on the 5th Oct., 1818 and was 72 years and 9 months old at her death.  Her father was a sailor and was drowned.  Her mother with Margaret came to Canada when Margaret was ten years old.  They settled in Elmsley about three miles from Perth where they had a large connection of relatives nearly all of whom have gone before.  Margaret was married to her husband James Quigley 24th May, 1839, by Rev. Mr. McIntyre, then Methodist minister of Perth, which town they lived in for some two years and removed to Pakenham in 1841 with one child, Thomas Quigley, now of New York.  Eleven more children were born to them in Pakenham Village—in all twelve children, 8 boys and 4 girls.  Five of the boys and four of the girls survive the parents.  Six of them are now American citizens and one son and two daughters reside in Pakenham.  The deceased joined the Methodist Church with her husband at the time of her marriage and ever since has lived as a consistent member of that body.  Almonte Gazette

Perth Courier, July 3, 1891

Hughes—Died, at Bathurst on Tuesday, 29th June, Mrs. Owen Hughes, aged 80.

McLachlin—Died, at Beckwith on the 2nd inst., Mary J. May McLachlin, wife of Mr. Robert McLachlin, aged 35 (?).

McCullum—Died, at the residence of his son-in-law, John Campbell, Carleton Place, on the 26th June, Duncan McCullum, aged 77.

The Renfrew Mercury announces the death of Robert Airth of that village on Thursday, 25th June, the result of inflammation of the lungs following La Grippe.  The deceased was a native of Scotland but spent a good part of his youth and manhood in the southern states and Australia.  Returning to Renfrew twenty years ago he started a store at the north side of the place and continued it until the time of his death.  He leaves a widow and grown daughter behind.  He was a member of the Presbyterian Church and an ardent Temperance advocate.  His age at death was 71 years.

The subject of the following obituary notice which is clipped from a Minneapolis newspaper lived on the Highland Line, Dalhousie, before moving west and will be remembered by a great many of the old settlers of that township:  “Gordon—Died, at the home of his daughter Mrs. James Brownlee, Jo Davies Township on Saturday, 25th (?) April, John Gordon, 93 years, 5 months.  The funeral services were held at the house on Monday, Rev. W. O. Conrad officiating.  The remains were taken to the Blue Earth City Cemetery for burial followed by a long procession.  The deceased was born in Culron (?) Scotland on the 26th Dec., 1797.  In 1827 he came to America and settled at Dalhousie, Canada.  There he married his wife Annie McKinnon.  In 1856 he brought his wife and family to Fremont, Winona County, Minnesota.  In September, 1857(?) he moved to Beaufort, Blue Earth County, where his wife died the following December.  He then made his home with his son until 1863(?) when he came to live with his daughter with whom he died.  He leaves five children, two sons and three daughters:  James Gordon, Silverton Oregon; Mrs. James Brownlee, Jo Davies; Mrs. C. C. Hinckley, Winona, Minnesota; John Gordon, Polk County, Minnesota; Annie Gordon, Mapleton, Blue Earth County.  Mr. Gordon was a member of the Presbyterian Church since before he left Scotland and was a firm believer in the atonement of Christ and the Second Advent.  About an hour before he died he spoke his last words which were “I commit my life, mind and soul to His Holy Will”.

The death is announced of Mrs. Margaret Clements an old resident of North Elmsley, at the age of 77.

On Sunday afternoon, Mr. and Mrs. John Laurie drove up to Mrs. Laurie’s father, Mr. John Meredith, 3rd Line, to spend the rest of the day.  In the evening, Mr. Laurie felt drowsy and lay down in another room on the sofa to rest.  His friends hearing him breathe heavily went to awaken him but it was found he was entering upon the sleep that knows no wakening and he shortly afterwards expired.  The deceased was in his 60th year and was born on the Scotch Line.  He followed lumbering for a time and latterly bought the McCabe Grist mill and saw mill on the 2nd Line Bathurst which he operated until his death.  Mr. Laurie was well known throughout these counties and knew every nook and cranny of the woods and country generally in this district.  He was a man of decided personality and was once quite a politician having offered himself for the choice of the electors of S. Lanark after Confederation in the lumbering interests.  His funeral was a large one and took place on Tuesday.

Perth Courier, July 10, 1891

Horricks—Died, at Drummond, on Sunday, 21st June, Mrs. William Horricks, 86, a native of Perthshire, Scotland.

Mortimer—Died, at the residence of her daughter, Montreal on Saturday, 11th July, Louisa Wilson Mortimer, wife of Mr. William Mortimer, aged 57.

Miller—Died, on Sat., 4th July, Ellen Mason Miller, relict of the late George Miller, 3rd Concession Bathurst, aged 75, a native of Scotland and resident of Canada since 1821.

Lanark Links:  Died, on Sunday, 28th June, Marion Camelon, Darling Township, 4 years, only child and very much loved by her parents.  The funeral took place on Tuesday to Clayton and was largely attended.  Diphtheria which is now prevalent in Darling Township was the cause no doubt.

Shields—Died, at the 7th Line Drummond, on the 13th (?) 18th(?0 June, Margaret Alice Morris Shields, wife of Mr. James Shields, aged 28.(see also next issue)

Perth Courier, July 17, 1891

Mrs. James Shields died at her residence in Beckwith on the 18th June at the early age of 28 years after a short illness of two weeks.  The deceased whose maiden name was Margaret Alice Morris, was a daughter of Mrs. Thomas Morris of Merrickville formerly Scotch Corners.  She leaves a husband and four small children.  Her sister Mrs. Lee of Almonte takes the baby which is only two months old and was given it at Mrs. Shield’s request on her death bed.  She was buried in Elmwood Cemetery in Perth.  C. Canadian

Lovell—Died, at Smith’s Falls on Friday, 3rd July, William Arthur Lovell, M.D., third son of Dr. Lavell of Kingston, aged 31.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

On Friday last Dr. William A. Lavell, Smith’s Falls, died suddenly from heart failure.  He was just preparing to set out on a canoe trip with his brothers to the Adirondacks of New York but death intervened.  He was the third son of Dr. Lavell, warden of Kingston Penitentiary and brother of J. R. Lavell, barrister, Smith’s Falls, and a graduate of Queen’s University in Kingston.  He was a leader of the Methodist Church choir in that town.  His age was 31 years.  He leaves a wife and one child.  His remains were laid in the Cataraqui (?) Cemetery, Kingston.

We are sorry to learn of the death of Mr. John M. Stanley, Seattle, Washington, on the 2nd July inst.  The deceased was born in Drummond and was a cousin of Matthew Stanley of Perth.  He was a carriage maker by trade and was in business over twenty years ago in Perth and later on in Pembroke. 

Perth Courier, July 24, 1891

Bowes—Killed, by lightning on Thursday morning, 23rd inst., Mr. Michael Bowes, 9th Line Bathurst, aged 33.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

We regret to learn of the death during the severe thunder storm of Thursday morning of this week.  Michael Bowes of the 9th Line Bathurst, son of Mr. James Bowes, 3rd Line, was struck by lightning in his room about 4:00 and instantly killed.  He had got out of bed to look at the storm and was just returning when the bolt struck him.  His brother Patrick was in the same bed and received a slight injury to one of his hands.  The deceased was married to the daughter of Mr. Patrick Kearns and had a family of two children.  He was 33 years old.  His funeral will take place on Saturday at 10:00 to the Catholic Church Cemetery, Perth.  His aged parents survive him.

The News regrets to chronicle this week the death of Mrs. Moorhouse, wife of Joseph Moorhouse, a highly respected resident of the township of S. Elmsley and a member of the municipal counsel which sad event occurred on Sunday evening last.  Mrs. Moorhouse who was 41 years of age and who had been married over 20 years, gave birth to her first child a few weeks ago and since that event had been in a precarious condition until death ended her sufferings.

Perth Courier, July 31, 1891

The Central Canadian notes the death in California Saturday, 16th July, William G. Irwin, formerly of Ramsay near Carleton Place, aged 47.

Robert Wilson, Rat Portage, whose parents live in Arnprior, was drowned in the Manitou Rapids on Saturday last.

Perth Courier, August 7, 1891

Rev. Father Byrne, parish priest of Eganville, died on Friday evening last after an illness of several months.  The deceased was one of the pioneer priests of that city.

The Gazette says:  “On Tuesday of last week Duncan McIntosh, Dalhousie, died at the advanced age of 90 years.  He was born in Sterling(?), Scotland and came to this country in 1842.  He spent the first few years of his residency in this country with John Lawson, Middleville and at Hanna’s Mills.  From there he removed to Dalhousie where he resided until his death.  He was postmaster at Poland for a number of years.  He was a man of quiet and retiring disposition and was highly esteemed by all who knew him for his kindly manners and stirling worth.”

We have this week to record another sad death in the case of Mrs. John Ferguson of Numogate which occurred at her home Wednesday evening.  The deceased had been ill for a short time but inflammation set in which caused her death.  Mrs. Ferguson was the sister of Mrs. W. E.(?) MacDonald and Mrs. Andrew Smith of this town and is the second sister of the family who has died within six months.  She leaves a husband and one daughter and three sons to mourn her death at the age of 54 years.  Smith’s Falls Record

Rev. Mr. Williams of Belleville, Methodist minister, died there on Monday at an advanced age.  He was the father of the late J. F. Williams, formerly of Perth and Carleton Place.  His daughter-in-law, Mrs. J. F. Williams, of Perth, went up to Belleville for the funeral.

The death of Robert Fleming of Pakenham is announced from paralysis.  The deceased was born in Lanarkshire, Scotland and was 84 years of age.

Perth Courier, Aug. 14, 1891

Kippen—Died, at Perth on Wednesday, 12th Aug., Catherine Walker Kippen, wife of Mr. Alexander Kippen, Sr., aged 83.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

On Wednesday evening of last week one of our oldest residents Mrs. Alexander Kippen, died at her residence on Wilson St. at the advanced age of 82.  The deceased was born in Canmore, Perthshire, Scotland, and came with her husband to Canada in 1832.  She was one of the oldest members of Knox Presbyterian Church.  (note, not sure of her age, both numbers, 83 and 82, looked clear.)

Dobbie—Died, at her residence at Lanark on Thursday, 13th Aug., Mary McClellan Dobbie, relict of the late Mr. Thomas Dobbie, in the 66th year of her age.  Burial in the Lanark Village Cemetery.

Tennant—Died, at Lanark, on the 9th Aug., Robert Tennant, aged 80.

Christie—Died at Beckwith on the 9th (?) Aug., William Christie, aged 65.

Perth Courier, Aug. 21, 1891

Paul—Died, at Dalhousie near Poland on the 30th (?) July of congestion of the lungs, John J. Paul, aged 69.  The deceased was a native of Antrim, Ireland and was a member of the Presbyterian Church of Dalhousie.  He filled the office of Deputy returning Officer in the township for some years and was also a member of the Board of Health.  He was much respected in his locality.

Lamont—Died, at the residence of her son-in-law A. G. Dobbie, Brockville, Elizabeth Murray Lamont, wife of the late Joseph Lamont, of Lanark, aged 83.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

After a long illness Mrs. Joseph Lamont died at the residence of her son-in-law, A.G. Dobbie, Brockville on Monday last at the age of 83 years.  The deceased was born in Paisley, Scotland and came to Canada with her father the late James Murray in the year 1820 the family settling in the neighborhood of Middleville.  Deceased was married first to Dr. McNaught of Utica, in New York and after his death to Joseph Lamont, whom she survived about 30 years.  The two moved to Lanark Village about 50 years ago and kept the hotel there and were so well known to travelers there in the palmy days of the place when Lanark was a lumbering center.  Mrs. Lamont was the mother of quite a large family but only two survive:  Mrs. A. G. Dobbie of Brockville and Mrs. D.S. McDiarmid of Carleton Place.  She was a member of the Presbyterian Church and her funeral service at Lanark on Tuesday was conducted by her old pastor Rev. James Wilson of St. Andrew’s Church.  The deceased was an aunt of Messrs. J.M. and W.T. Walker of this office.

Wilson—Died, at Montreal on the 13th Aug., Mary Wilson, wife of Robert Wilson, Esq., and daughter of the late Hon. James Wylie(?).  (note, unsure of this surname Wilson).

Lanark Links:  We are grieved to announce in this issue the death of an old and respected resident of this place, Mrs. Thomas Dobbie which sad event occurred Tuesday, 13th August.  Deceased had been ailing for some time having been confined to bed for many weeks.  Too much cannot be said for the true character of her who has gone from among us.  She was of a kind and amiable and generous disposition and a friend who will be much missed by the poor.  Mrs. Dobbie was a member of St. Andrew’s Church and was 66.

Port Elmsley—On Tuesday of this week we were called upon to pay our last respects to the remains of Arthur Couch who died on Sunday evening last.  Mr. Couch was one of the oldest and much esteemed residents.  In his younger days when the country was new he conducted divine services as a Methodist local preacher in this section.  Afterwards he served the township very acceptable for several years as a councilor after which he retired to private life on his farm where he remained until called away to his reward.

Rideau Centre—It is our painful duty to chronicle the sad and untimely death of a little boy Jobie Hutton who was drowned at the ferry on Friday evening of last week.  The bridge had been opened to allow a yacht to pass through and it appears that in the closing of the swing bridge he stepped on and was caught in the railing where the swing bridge joins with the main bridge.  He could not extricate himself and when the swing bridge was slackened up he fell into the water and before help could arrive was drowned.  The funeral services were conducted on Sabbath morning in the Presbyterian Church (being a member of the Sabbath School and Mission Band) and was largely attended.  The funeral cortege left the house of his uncle shortly after 10:00 and proceeded to the church followed by a large procession of the sorrowing friends.  After the services were conducted in the church the children of the Sabbath School joined in the procession before the hearse and proceeded to the graveyard.  After a few touching words by Rev. N. Campbell the body was consigned “dust to dust ashes to ashes”.

Full short his journey was; no dust

Of earth his sandals clove

The weary heart that old man must

He bore not to the grave.

He seemed a cherub who had lost his way

And wandered hither, so his stay

With us was short and ‘twas most meet

That he should be no (unreadable word-delver?) in earth’s clod

Nor need to pause and cleanse his feet

To stand before God.

Middleville:  Stephen Easdale of Lanark Township, who had been living with Mrs. Lorimer of Dalhousie since the death of his wife, is dead and was interred in the Middleville Cemetery on Saturday, 15th August.

Robert Simpson, formerly of Carleton Place, died at Winnipeg on the 13th August at the are of 70.  He went to Manitoba in 1878 and engaged in farming and ranching, latterly retired from business and removed to Winnipeg.  His wife and 13 children survive him all in Manitoba.

J. W. Davy died at Toronto last week from internal cancer.  The deceased was for some years a bandmaster at Westport and was a patentee and builder of the fence that bounds a section of the Tay Canal.

On Friday evening last Duncan Cameron one of our oldest and most esteemed citizens passed over to the silent majority after having been confined to his room for about two months.  He was born in 1806 and therefore was in his 85th year.  His birth place was Ft. William and when he was 8 years of age moved here and settled in Lanark Village which was known as the Scotch Line near Perth.  In 1838 he bought a farm in S. Elmsley on which his son Alexander Cameron now lives and actively engaged in farming until 1873 when he retired from farm life and moved to town.  He was a member of the Presbyterian Church and a Liberal in politics.  A typical Scotsman he was kind and intelligent with decided views and strict integrity, he could not fail to command respect in any circle.  The funeral took place on Sunday to Maple Vale Cemetery and was largely attended.  Of those surviving him are his widow and six sons and two daughters.  The sons are John P. Cameron, an extensive mill owner in Kentucky; Alexander Cameron on the homestead; Allan Cameron of Brockville; William Cameron of New York; Daniel Cameron of Duluth; and J.D. Cameron of Chicago.  The daughters are Elizabeth, wife of R. Cardiff of the C.P.R. and Jessie, wife of M.A. Holliday, merchant, Cheasley (?), Ontario.  Smith’s Falls Record, 14th (?) August.

Perth Courier, August 28, 1891

Cameron—Died, on Tuesday, 25th Aug., Alexander E. Cameron, 24 years, son of Mr. Robert Cameron, 5th Line Bathurst.

Hicks—Died, at Perth on Tuesday, 25th Aug., James Hicks, aged 81.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

After declining health for some time and confinement to bed during the past few weeks, James Hicks, merchant, one of our oldest residents, died at his home on Foster Street on Tuesday last at the age of 81.  The deceased was born near Inniskillen, County Fermaugh, Ireland and came to Canada in 1834 settling with the others of his family in Perth.  When the old Tay Canal was in operation he acted as captain on one of the boats running between Perth and Montreal afterwards starting business in the general store line here.  This prospered and about 12 or 15 years ago he erected the fine large block occupied until his death as a store and restaurant.  He leaves a wife and several children and two brothers in town, William and Robert and a sister in Innisville Mrs. Code.  The deceased was a member of the Church of England and a firm Conservative.

Stewart—Died at Renfrew on the 9th Aug., George D. Stewart, son of the late Mr. D. F. Stewart, aged 32.

Perth Courier, September 4, 1891

Morris—Died, at Drummond on Wed., 2nd Sept., Mr. William Morris, aged 53.  Burial was at the Old Burying Ground at Perth.

Wemyus—The death of our village blacksmith has cast a gloom over the neighborhood.  Poor Alexander Cameron—a fine young man in the 24th year of his age, kind and obliging, we will see no more of his smiling face and genial manner but God knew best and His will be done.

Lanark Links:  We are sorry to record the death of Mrs. W. Drysdale, Vancouver, B.C., formerly of Lanark Village. 

Perth Courier, Sept. 11, 1891

McLeod—Died, on the 1st Sept., 2nd Line Drummond, John McLeod.  (no age given.)

Armour—Died, at Burgess on Sat., 5th Sept., the infant son of Mr. Andrew Armour.

Turner—Died, at Perth on Sunday, 30th Aug., Mr. Francis Turner, aged 77.

Anderson—Died, on the 15th Aug., Grace Eva Vivien Anderson, infant daughter of Rev. P. H. Anderson, aged 4 months.

Lanark Links:  Died, on Tuesday, 1st Sept. at the residence of J. H. Gallinger, Bay Mills(?), Michigan, William McAdam, a native of County Mayo, Ireland, aged 78 years and 4 months. The deceased was an old resident of Glen Tay.

Lanark Links:  We are sorry to record the death of Alexander Drysdale, who was found dead in his bed on the morning of the 8th Sept.  His death is supposed to have been caused by heart disease.

Perth Courier, Sept. 18, 1891

Drysdale—Died, at Lanark on the 8th Sept., Mr. Andrew Drysdale, of heart failure, aged 63 (?) 65 (?).

Lang—Died, at Regina, N.W.T., on the 8th Sept., Mr. Alexander Lang, blacksmith, formerly of Almonte.

We regret to learn of the death of John Madden, Ramsay township.  He was one of the oldest and most esteemed residents of that part of the county and one of the most generous benefactors of St. Mary’s Church, Almonte in years gone by.  The deceased was the father of Mrs. Nicholas(?) Bawlf(?) of Winnipeg and was born in County Cork, Ireland in 1819 and came to Canada in his boyhood with his parents.

Perth Courier, Sept. 25, 1891

Wilson—Died, at his father’s residence on the 7th Concession Drummond on the 12th Sept., Andrew William Wilson, 4th son of Mr. George Wilson, aged 21.

37 years ago Findlay McCormick left the 7th Line Drummond and settled in the County of Perth, Ontario.  He rose into prominence in his locality and was for a time Reeve of the township of Hibbert in that county.  He died on Friday last of cancer at the age of 64 and his remains were brought to this town and interred in the old Presbyterian burying ground beside the almost forgotten bones of his long dead friends there whose resting places are marked by tombstones placed many years ago.  The burial of Mr. McCormick took place on Sunday afternoon last and 6 of his old neighbors acted as pallbearers:  Messrs. John Sinclair, William McGarry, Donald McLaren, D.D. Campbell, Donald McPhail, John Bothwell.  The deceased never married and lived with his sister who survives him.  Mr. A.C. Jones of Stratford, who left Pike Falls 25 years ago and has married a niece of the deceased, brought the body down.

Perth Courier, October 2, 1891

McGlade—Died, at Perth on Saturday, 26th Sept., Mr. John McGlade, aged 64.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

On Saturday last John McGlade, after a slight illness of a day or so was stricken down by the hand of death and his remains were buried in the Catholic Cemetery on Sunday.  The deceased was for many years a well known carter in town and owner of a sand pit from which many hundreds of dollars worth of sand was taken.  He was born in the north of Ireland and came to Canada about forty years ago.  He leaves a wife and grown up family.

Moore—Died, on Sunday morning, 27th Sept., Mr. W. E. Moore of Maberly, aged 28.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

We regret to announce the death of W.E. Moore, Maberly, secretary of the S. Sherbrooke Agricultural Association, of bleeding of the lungs.  The deceased was the son of the late Thomas Moore, Reeve of Sherbrooke for many years.

Mrs. John K. Williams (nee Lily Schofield), Brockville, niece of the late Horace Brown of Carleton Place, died at Toronto on Tuesday last after a long illness.  The remains were taken to Brockville for burial.

The Pakenham correspondent of the Gazette records the death of Mrs. Ingram Scott of that township on the 20th September in her 79th year.  The late Mrs. Scott was a very intelligent woman and a Methodist.  Her husband, 84 years old, survives her.  Among her children are Mrs. Robert Scott of Perth, Mrs. (Rev.) Stewart, Miss Susan Scott and Messrs. Robert Scott, David Scott and George Y. Scott.

Lanark Links:  We regret to hear of the death of Mrs. Andrew Baird who went to bed Thursday night apparently well.  Her husband awoke about 4:00 Friday morning and found her dead by his side.

Watson’s Corners:  We are sorry to have to record the death of Mrs. Robert McChesney which occurred this morning at 3:00.  The deceased had been suffering form paralysis for the past six months and was quite helpless.  She was carefully tended by her youngest daughter Jane.  She leaves six grown up children and several grandchildren to mourn her loss.  The deceased came to this country from Glasgow with her husband fifty years ago when Dalhousie was little more than a wilderness and consequently saw and felt the many hardships and privations of the first settlers.  She was a woman full of life and energy, a kind friend and neighbor especially in time of sickness or trouble.  She was a member of the Presbyterian Church for many years.  She was about 74 years of age.

Peter D. Noonan, once of this county, died in the city of Chicago Friday, 18th September of a paralytic stroke at the age of 50 years.  The deceased was born in Bathurst and was a brother of Mr. James Noonan of Christies Lake.  He carried on the mercantile business in Perth for a few years in company with Peter McGarry but gave it up about 12 years ago and went to Chicago.  He married a daughter of James Conlon of Glen Tay and she with several children survive him.

The Scotch Corners correspondent of the Herald says:  “We regret to record the death this week of Miss Margaret Sinclair, daughter of the late Mr. Colin Sinclair of Scotch Corners and sister of D. Sinclair, Jr., of this place and Messrs. P.M. Sinclair of Perth and James Sinclair of Kamloops, B.C.  The deceased had been ailing for some years and passed away quietly at the home of her sister Mrs. J. R. Tennant near Clayton.  She was of a kind and genial disposition always ready to lend a helping hand in time of need and was much beloved by all who knew her for her many Christian virtues.  She was a member of the Presbyterian Church in Clayton and had many years ago resigned herself to Christ.  The funeral took place on Saturday to the family burial plot at the Corners and was largely attended.  Rev. Mr. McLean of Clayton conducted the service.

Perth Courier, Oct. 9, 1891

Hogan—Died, on Friday, 2nd October, Mary McCabe Hogan, relict of the late Mr. Daniel Hogan of the 3rd Line Bathurst, aged 72.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

On Monday last the remains of Mrs. Daniel Hogan were taken to their last resting place in the R.C. Cemetery in Perth followed by an immense concourse of friends and neighbors.  The deceased was born in County Wexford, Ireland and came with her parents to Bathurst 70 years ago.  She was therefore one of the earliest settlers in the township surviving.  She was a woman of kindly and charitable disposition and never turned away a hungry person from her door.  Her husband died many years ago.

Morris—Died, at Perth on Sunday, 5th Oct., Mr. James Morris, aged 86.

Perth Courier, Oct. 16, 1891

Weegan—Died, at Calumet, P.Q., on the 12th Oct., Margarette Weegan, infant daughter of Fred and Annie Weegan, aged 11 months and 13 days.

Flett—Died, at Perth on Tuesday, 13th Oct., Mrs. Mary Flett, aged 66.

Ryan—Died, at Smith’s Falls on Wed., 7th Oct., Matthew Ryan, Sr., aged 89 years and 9 months.

Thornton—Died, at Drummond on Tuesday, 6th Oct., Sarah Jane Thornton, aged 83.

She is gone, the one we loved

And laid beneath the sod

Oh! It is hard but we must know

It was by the hand of God.

She has gone, that faithful sister

To her happy home above

Where there is no pain or sorrow

But all is joy and love.

Perth Courier, October 23, 1891

McCarthy—Died, at Perth on Sunday evening, 18th Oct., Mrs. Owen McCarthy, aged 70.

McViety—Died, on Monday morning, 19th Oct., Maggie McViety, daughter of Mr. Simon McViety, North Elmsley, aged 12.

Thornton—Died, at Drummond on Tuesday, 6th October, Miss Sarah Jane Thornton, aged 33.

The Pembroke Observer tells of the death of Alexander Thomson of Ross Township at the age of 90 years.  He was a native of Paisley, Scotland and came to Canada in 1840.  His son is Dr. A. Thomson, who died a year ago.

The Herald chronicles the death of Robert Gilmour of Carleton Place at the age of 83 years.  The deceased was a native of Paisley, Scotland and came to Canada 25 years ago.

O’Dea—Died, at Perth on Wednesday, 21st October, Mr. John O’Dea, second son of Mr. D. O’Dea, aged 22 years, and 5 months.

Perth Courier, Oct. 30, 1891

In last week’s issue of the Courier, mention was made of the sudden death of Maggie McViety, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Simon McViety of Rideau Lake.  She started to school on Tuesday, 17th, full of health and happiness and it was not until the following Sunday that her illness was considered by the doctor in attendance or by her own family as serious.  All Sunday night it was evident that before many hours one of the Great Shepherd’s lambs would be gathered into the fold.  On Monday morning at 8:30 her spirit departed to join with the blessed.  During her illness, Maggie’s patience and gentleness were remarkable and it seemed as if the Master was communicating with her and fitting her to enjoy the mansion He was preparing for her.  Although scarcely 13 years of age her conceptions of spiritual truth was wonderfully clear.  The child was quite conscious of the nearness of her departure from her loved ones and tried to comfort them by assuring them that there would be a great reunion on the other shore.  Although the parents and her brothers and sisters deeply feel the loss of their little darling still they recognize the Divine hand and cannot but be thankful that their dear one is taken away where there will be no sickness or sorrow.  In the words of the poet they can say:

There is no death! What seems so is transition

This life of mortal breath

She is not dead—the child of our affliction

But gone into that school

Where she no longer needs our poor protection

And Christ himself doth rule.

The funeral took place on Wednesday of last week from her home at Oliver’s Ferry to the burying ground there.

McElliott—Died, at Perth on Sunday, 25th Oct., John J. McElliott, aged 30.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

On Sunday last John J. McElliott, yardsman at Smith’s Falls, came up to Perth on a passing freight train to visit his father lying sick at his residence on Sherbrooke Street from the effects of an accident at the car shops yard a short time before.  On leaving the train he began to cough, then bleed from the lungs, but he made his way to his parents’ residence only a short distance away and barely reached it when he died in his mother’s arms.  The terrible occurrence gave an inexpressible shock to his father and mother the first of whom is in delicate health.  The funeral which took place on Wednesday morning was attended by a large number of all classes.  The body was taken to St. John’s Church and after a solemn service there was buried in the Catholic cemetery in Perth.  The deceased was a member of the Smith’s Falls C.M.B.A. and the brothers from that town and from Perth attended in regalia as mourners.  By his connection with that organization, his wife and family are left $1,000.  Mr. McElliott was a man of good character and disposition and leaves many sorrowing friends.

Binks—Died, at Ottawa on Friday, 23rd Oct., Eliza Sajient Binks, relict of the late Mr. Colin Binks, formerly of Perth, aged 79 years, 6 months. 

Elsewhere in the same paper:

Last Sunday morning the remains of Mrs. Eliza Sajient Binks, a former resident of this town were brought to Perth and interred in the old Methodist Burying Ground by the side of her husband the late Mr. Colin Binks.  The deceased was a native of Woolwich, England and in 1857 with her family removed to settled in Canada in Perth.  After the decease of her husband some years ago she went to Ottawa to reside with her son William a journeyman printer there and a graduate of the Courier office.  The deceased left several children and her descendants number 20 grandchildren and one great grandchild.

Dobson—Died, on Monday, 19th Oct., William Dobson, 2nd Concession Drummond, aged 91.

Perth Courier, November 6, 1891

Kidd—Died at Beckwith on the 30th Oct., Mrs. George Kidd, aged 65.

Patterson—Died, at Almonte on the 31st Oct., James S. Patterson, aged 55.

Douglas—Died, at Carleton Place on the 1st November, Mrs. Martha Douglas, aged 82 years and 5 months.

Cobourn—Died, at Almonte on the 31st October, Jane Poole Cobourn, wife of Mr. Francis Cobourn, aged 73 years and 4 months.

An old pioneer settler in this section in the person of Samuel McCrea, living near Bishop’s Mills, passed away on Wed., 21st inst at the ripe old age of 86 years.  Mr. McCrea was born just two miles from this village and was the son of the late John McCrea, Sr.  He was the last of a large family of boys but his two sisters still live, viz., Mrs. Hiram Cross (?) of Kitley and Mrs. Daniel Wickware of Merrickville.  His funeral, which was a large one, took place on Friday and he was buried at Bishop’s Mills.  Smith’s Falls Record

The Central Canadian says that John R. Montgomery, formerly of Drummond, died on Monday last at Glenboro, S. Manitoba.  He was a brother of Mrs. Walter McIlquham, proprietor of the Mississippi Hotel in Carleton Place and brother also of the hotel clerk Mr. S. Montgomery.  The body has been brought to Lanark for burial.

Perth Courier, Nov. 13, 1891

Almonte Gazette:  After three weeks illness from an affliction of the stomach, Mrs. Francis Cobourn of this town passed away on Saturday last to the bourne from which there is no returning, aged 73 years.  Mrs. Cobourn’s maiden name was Jane Poole.  She was born in Ireland in 1818 and came to Canada in 1832 with two of her cousins, Rev. W. H. Poole of Detroit and the late James Poole, founder of the Carleton Place Herald.  They settled in Carleton Place.  Forty four years ago she married Mr. Cobourn at Fitzroy Harbor.  She lived in Almonte for the last 23 years and although of a quiet disposition she made many warm friends who deeply regret her demise.  The funeral took place on Monday at 8:00 am to the Anglican Church of which the deceased was a member.  Notwithstanding the early hour and the extreme cold, there was a large attendance.  The service was conducted by Rev. Mr. Low after which the remains were conveyed to Fitzroy Harbor where they were interred in the family burying ground.

McIlquham—Died, on Friday, 6th Nov., Mr. John M. McIlquham, 9th Line Drummond, near Balderson, aged 22.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

Balderson:  It is our painful duty to record this week the death of one of our most promising young men, John M. McIlquham, eldest son of Mr. James McIlquham, which sad event took place on Friday evening, 6th inst.  The deceased, who was in his 22nd year had his name enrolled as a member of the Order of Foresters in which his life was insured for $1,000.  The funeral took place on Sunday afternoon and was attended by a large concourse of friends and acquaintances.  After service conducted by Ref. J. S. McIlraith, the members of the craft to which the deceased belonged gathered around the casket and held a short service according to the rituals of the order.  The procession to the cemetery in Lanark consisted of 110 vehicles and was a mile in length.

Perth Courier, Nov. 20, 1891

Mrs. Duncan McGregor who had been residing with her daughter Mrs. W. Lawson, passed quietly out of life on Monday evening last, aged 76 years.  She had been as well as usual at noon and did not complain of illness during the afternoon but in the evening when members of the family went to her room they found her breathing her last.  The worn out frame sank gently into the sleep from which there is no awakening.  The deceased resided here between fifty and sixty years.  She was twice married, the first time to Jno. Duncan, brother of James Duncan, Ramsay and after his death to Mr. McGregor.  Her children are John Duncan, Mrs. W.E. Barnett, Mrs. W. Lawson, Mrs. C. H. Ferguson of Almonte, Mrs. John McMunn of St Thomas, Dakota, and Duncan and James McGregor of California.  Almonte Gazette

On the 17th October, Catherine McNabb Gunn, wife of the late Mr. Donald Gunn of Darling, passed away, aged 85 years.  Deceased was a native of Scotland and settled in Darling with her husband and a small family about fifty years ago.  She was a consistent member of the Presbyterian Church and was greatly esteemed by a large circle of friends who mourn her demise.  Gazette

McCarthy—Died, at Perth on Sunday, 15th Nov., Dalton Hicks McCarthy, eldest son of Mr. R. H. McCarthy, hardware merchant, aged 5 years, 1 month and 3 days.

Meikle—Died, at Merrickville on Saturday, 14th Nov., Eliza Barron Meikle, wife of Mr. John Meikle in her 60th year.

Buchan—Died, on Thursday, 12th November, Duncan Buchan, 11 years, 8 months and 4 days, son of Duncan and Isabella Buchan.

How blest these glorious spirits shine

Whence all this white array

How came he to this blessed seat

Of everlasting day?

Lo! These are they from suffering great

That came to realms of light

And in the blood of Christ have washed

These robes that shine so bright

‘Mong pastures green He leads His flock

Where living streams appear

And God the Lord from every eye

Shall wipe off every tear.

Perth Courier, November 27, 1891

Flett—Died, at Vancouver, B.C., on the 14th Nov., Arthur A. Flett, son of Mr. John Flett, formerly of Carleton Place, aged 21.

The sudden death of Joseph Robertson on the 10th November has cast a gloom over the neighborhood of Fisher, Minnesota.  His death took place at the residence of his sister Mrs. Thomas Nesbit after a very short illness.  The deceased was born in North Sherbrooke on the 9th November, 18??.  In 1857(?) he removed to the States where he has resided ever since.  The funeral was conducted by Rev. Mr. Campbell after which the remains were interred in the cemetery near by.  His brothers Messrs. John and Thomas Robertson and another sister Mrs. Ferguson were in attendance at the funeral.

Lanark Links:  We are sad to record the death of John Deachman who died at his residence Friday last.  The deceased was 67 years of age and had passed the greater part of his life in this village.  He was highly respected by all who knew him and on Thursday was buried in Lanark Cemetery.  James Young, undertaker, had charge of the funeral.

Lanark Links:  We regret to learn of the death of Mrs. J. S. Rogers who died at Carleton Place on Monday, 23rd November. She was buried in the Lanark Cemetery on Wednesday afternoon.

The Carleton Place Herald of this week contains the following obituary notice of the deceased young lady being a niece of Mrs. Simon McViety of North Elmsley:  “The family of Mr. A.R. Lowe of Cobden was suddenly plunged into sorrow last Wednesday evening by the death of their eldest daughter Nellie M. Lowe, an accomplished young lady of 18.  Miss Lowe felt unwell the previous evening but was out as usual on Wednesday giving a music lesson.  On her return home she felt unwell and laid down to rest.  A sharp pain caused her to give expression in a manner that brought her mother to her side.  The mother raised the girl in her arms but in a very few moments the spirit had taken its flight and soared beyond.  The remains were brought to Carleton Place for burial in Cram’s Cemetery on Friday.

Perth Courier, December 4, 1891

Perkins—Died, on Saturday, 28th Nov., Mr. George Perkins, 6th Concession Bathurst, aged 52.

McCallum—Died, at Carleton Place on the 1st December, James McCallum, son of Mr. Robert McCallum, aged 21 years, 6 months.

Hicks—Died, at the residence of her son-in-law at Carleton Place, Hellen McCallum, relict of the late Jas. Hicks, Ramsay, aged 76.

Perth Courier, Dec. 11, 1891

McIlquham—Died, at Balderson’s Corners, on the 5th Dec., James B. McIlquham, aged 20.

Elsewhere in the same paper:

It is our painful duty to note the death of James R. McIlquham, 9th Line Drummond, near Balderson in his 20th year.  The sad event occurred on Saturday morning 5th Dec., and the funeral took place on Sunday afternoon to Lanark Village Cemetery.  Mrs. McIlquham lost her eldest only a few weeks ago and in her affliction there is felt for her the deepest sympathy and sorrow.  Both sons were exemplary and promising young men and would have been a comfort to their widowed mother had death spared them.  James Bothwell of Carleton Place, who died through an accident a few years ago, was grandfather of the brothers having been the father of Mrs. McIlquham.

Perth Courier, Dec. 18, 1891

Meighen—Died, at Perth on Saturday afternoon, Jane Stone Meighen wife of Mr. Charles Meighen, in her 55th year.

Shields—Died, at Smith’s Falls on Thursday, 10th inst., Mr. John Shields in the 70th year of his age.

Barnes—Died, at Perth on Tuesday, 15th inst., Susanna Katharine Smith Barnes, relict of the late Mr. George Barnes, aged 63 years and 6 months.

Perth Courier, Dec. 25, 1891

Harvey—Died, on the 21st inst., at the residence of her uncle, Mr. David Brownlee, 5th Concession Bathurst, Jennie Harvey, eldest daughter of Mr. William Harvey, aged 16 years and 7 months.

Coulter—Died, at Almonte on Thursday, 17th inst., Lily Maude Cole Coulter, wife of Mr. L. Coulter, town clerk, aged 25.

Harper—Died, at Smith’s Falls on Thursday, 17th inst., Robinson Harper, 82 years and 8 months.  (note, not sure of this date of death, could have been Tuesday, 15th inst.)

Dooher—Died, at Elmsley on Wed., 16th inst., John Dooher, aged 79.

After being in delicate health for more than a year back and gradually wearing away during this time, Mrs. Charles Meighen passed to her long home on Saturday afternoon last and her remains were interred in Elmwood Cemetery on Monday afternoon.  Mrs. Meighen was of a gentle and unobtrusive disposition and her memory will be cherished by her many acquaintances.  She was a member of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, the pastor Rev. A. H. Scott conducting the funeral services.  Her daughter Mrs. A.W. Burt and son-in-law A. W. Burt, Principal of the Brockville C. I. and Mr. A.E. Meighen of the post office at Ottawa were present at the funeral.  Another son, Nathaniel Meighen who lives in Dakota was not able to reach home from that distant state in time.

Death of Judge Sinclair

The deceased judge was formerly of Perth and was a nephew of the late Mr. W. McNairn Shaw.  His wife was the sister of the first wife of Joshua Adams, Sarnia, once of this town.  The Globe of the 17th December contained the following obituary:  “Judge Sinclair died at 4:30 this morning from the paralytic stroke that seized him on Tuesday afternoon.  He passed peacefully away surrounded by Mrs. Sinclair, Miss Sinclair, Mrs. Seager, Miss Sinclair’s sister, and Rev. E. P. Crawford.  Herbert Sinclair of New York did not arrive in time to be at his father’s death bed.  The funeral will take place Saturday afternoon at 3:00 from his late residence on Herkimer Street.  AT the court house Judge Muir made the sorrowful announcement to the members of the bar who had gathered.  Frank Mackelean, Q.C., on behalf of the bar, expressed the great loss they had sustained through the judge’s demise.  James Shaw Sinclair, Judge of the County Seat, Wentworth, was one of the best known and talented judges of Ontario.  He was born in Ramsay Township, Lanark County on the 7th April, 1838.  His father was Alexander Sinclair of the Township of Ramsay, formerly of Cathneshire(?) Scotland.  Judge Sinclair received his early education at the Perth grammar school and afterward received the finishing touches from a private tutor.  He began his legal studies with his uncle the late William McNairn Shaw, M.P.P. and was called to the bar during the Easter term of 1863.  He commenced to practice law in Goderich in partnership with Alexander Show, now of Walkerton.  In 1871 he was elected a bencher of the Law Society being the youngest member of the bar ever elected to that position.  In 1876 he was senior partner in the law firm of Sinclair, Seager and Wade and was much engaged in that enterprise.  It was during this year that he was created a Queen’s Counsel and on the 20th April, 1876 was appointed to the bench.  Judge Sinclair also acquired a considerable reputation as an author and several works from his talented pen are now in use as legal text books.  His writings are principally on Division Court law of which he made a close study.  During the latter part of 1887 his health, which had become undermined by a too close application to the duties of his profession, began to take a toll and in February of 1888 acting on the advice of his doctors he went to California.  Upon his return home some months ago a change for the better was noticed in his health but he never fully recovered and the fatal stroke was a continuation of the illness with which he was protracted four years ago.”

The Smith’s Falls News of the 17th December has the following notice on the life and death of John Shields of that town, former deputy reeve of Montague.  “There passed from our midst on Thursday afternoon one of the oldest and best known residents of this section of Ontario, John Shields, Esq., who about two weeks ago was stricken with paralysis and it was evident from the first day he was stricken that death was inevitable.  During his brief illness the deceased remained in an unconscious state and his end came gradually and apparently was painless.  Mr. Shields was born in Scotland and was at the time of his death within a few days of 79 years.  He first settled in the Township of Dalhousie near Perth in 1823 with his father where he lived about 12 years.  He then removed to Montague on the Rideau River where by his industrious habits, by tact and close economy he with his family accumulated close to 1,000 acres of the finest farming land in the township.  About 12 years ago Mr. Shields retired from active life after placing each of his six sons in possession of a fine farm.  During his life he occupied several important municipal offices and in his death Smith’s Falls loses a highly respected and useful citizen.  In business matters he was always thoroughly honest and just and to the Presbyterian Church of which he was a constant member he was a liberal donor.  He leaves an estate worth $74,000 of which nearly $35,000 is in cash which is to be divided among his family, besides his six farms worth $10,000 each which he had previously handed over to his six sons.  He leaves a wife, six sons and a daughter, Mrs. W. H. Anderson of Kemptville to mourn his loss.  The funeral which took place last Saturday afternoon to the family cemetery in the Shields settlement was one of the largest ever seen in this section the six sons acting as pall bearers.”

Posted: 24 April, 2004