Perth Courier - Comings and Goings

supplied by Christine M. Spencer of Northwestern University, Evanston, Il., USA.

Perth Courier, March 23, 1888

Mr. Jas. Pepper has been called to part with another infant child, which after a short illness was carried off by the ruthless hand of death.

The last masquerade of the season was held in the skating rink on Friday evening last.  Owing to it being a mild evening the number of spectators was much larger than at the last one but the maskers were not so numerous.  Miss Maggie Drysdale and Master George Gray, attired in tasteful costumes, carried off the prize for the best lady’s and gentleman’s costumes respectively.

On Tuesday, the severest storm of the season visited us in all its fury.  From early morning until late at night the storm reigned supreme, much to the dismay of would be travelers.  The result was that for miles around all the roads were completely blocked.  Mr. J. McFarlane started with the mail for McDonald’s Corners from Perth but did not get through until Wednesday and even then the carrier had to walk the greater part of the way sometimes on the top of fences.  Worse still, the stage from Perth did not get through until late on Wednesday consequently there was no outgoing mail that day much to the inconvenience of many.

Mr. David Headrick, of Drummond, near Lanark, left on Tuesday for Manitoba where he goes to settle on a good prairie farm near Minnedosa.  Before going he, like most others leaving here, subscribed to the Courier.

Perth Courier, March 30, 1888

Advertisement for farm and implement sale:  Ewen Cameron, Lot 8, 2nd Concession Drummond.

Almonte:  Mr. John Halfpenny of Carleton Place , son of Mr. Isaac Halfpenny of Clayton, left this week for Manitoba where he will remain for the summer and may choose a permanent home there for his family.

Mr. Joseph Yuill of Ramsay last week added another 100 acre lot to his already large real estate possessions by the purchase of the Hogan property adjacent to his farm on the 7th Line.  He is now owner of 600 acres of land, 400 in one block and 200 in another.  The price paid for the Hogan lot was $1,000.

A Kingston paper contains the following item “W.Balderson of Balderson’s Corners, a graduate of the Dominion Business College , who has for some time been employed in the wholesale grocery establishment of Robertson and Son, Kingston , is missing.  The young man left the office for the mail and never returned.  There is money coming to him and his absence is not understood.  His friends are wondering if he met with foul play.”

Messrs James McCann of Oso Township and Hugh McCann, Cornwall, were in town Sunday having come to attend the funeral of their mother, Mrs. Patrick McCann of South Burgess, Leeds County, who had died on Friday last and had been interred in Perth.  

The farm of Ewen Cameron on the 2nd Concession Drummond about one and a half miles from Perth , has been sold to Mr. John Best of North Elmsley for the price of about $6,500.  We understand Mr. Cameron and family intend coming into Perth to live.

Perth Courier, April 6, 1888

Return of Convictions for the Quarter Ending 13th March.


James Miller, 6 months in gaol

William Hunter, 3 months in gaol

James McGowan, 3 months in gaol

Charles P. Dolan, 86 days in gaol

James Ross, 3 months in gaol

Bridget O’Doyle, committed to jail

John Keefer, 2 months in gaol

Jas Eastwood, 6 months in gaol

Daniel Donnelly, 6 months in gaol

Esther Craig, 3 months in gaol

William Harper, 2 months in gaol

John Hecker (?), 2 months in gaol

Jane Willis, 6 months in gaol

Richard Holder, 6 months in gaol

Thomas Graham, 6 months in gaol

John Sutton, 2 months in gaol

William Pritchard, 2 months and two weeks in gaol

William Dittrick, 6 months in gaol

Eliza Geary, 6 months in gaol

William Dodds, 2 months in gaol

Paul Griffin prosecutor Mary Griffin defendant, insane, committed to jail

Assault and Battery:

Michael Doyle, $1

John Devlin, $1

George Buchen, $4

George Neil, $1

William R. Nevine, $1

Disturbing a Religious Meeting:

Thomas Ruttle, $3

Samuel Emerson $3

William Wilson $3

John McRostie (?) $3

Robert Stewart $3

James Turner $3

Albert Reilly $3

Richard McLauren $3

William Willoughby $1

John McFarlane $1

John Griffith $1

Drunk and Disorderly:

John Kenney $3

Thomas McPartland $1

William Lanbert $5

William Truelove $1

Henry Frayne, Furious Driving, $2

Violation of the Canada Temperance Act, $50 @ unless otherwise noted:

William Norris

Charles Devlin

George A. Dack

Jas. Sheehan

John Gemmell

Patrick Reilly

John Kelly

Patrick Dowdall

Eliza Arthur

Thomas Thornton

Francis Couler

James Foster

John Murray, $100

Thomas Hartney

John Wardrobe

Robert Douglas

Michael Holly

Michael Carroll

William McIlquham

Alexander Sibbitt

P.P. Salter

Jas. Young

Archibald Darou

H. H. Dickson

John Fay

Frank Cowie, Breach of By Laws, $5

Ads for Farm Stock and Implement Sale:  The estate of the late George Russell, Lot 11, 5th Concession Drummond.

There is going to be a building boom in Eganville this summer.  Mrs. J. Bonfield is putting in a set of most improved rollers in her grist mill.  Mr. Jas. A. Acton is fitting up the old tannery for a sash and door factory and the old factory will be turned into a dwelling house.  John D. McRae will erect a large business block on his “Water Lot”.  Augusta Zeadow is erecting a large carriage shop and E. Binen (?) is going to erect a large blacksmith shop.  Messrs Mills, John McCann and Joseph Hayhurst will erect houses.  Observer

Miss Craine, Smith’s Falls, is a graduate from the Women’s Medical College as of this Spring and was equal with Miss Mitchell of Montreal in the scholarship of $60.

Mr. William Mann of Yarmouth Centre, Elgin County , died on Friday last at 60 years.  He was the father of F. A. Mann of the Merchant’s Bank.

Mr. Dixon, bookkeeper in the C.P.R. carshops, is leaving that position and goes from here to Michigan .  The vacancy will be filled by Mr. Fenwick.

Elphin News:  A very happy event took place at the house of Mr. D. Geddes on March 12 when his daughter Tena Geddes was united in the bonds of matrimony to Mr. R. Nesbit of Minnesota .  They started out for their home in Minnesota on the 20th, taking with them the good wishes of the people. 

Elphin News:  Mr. A. Miller and his sister Jeannie have returned from the States on a visit.  Their faces are strange to this part.  May they have an enjoyable time but may he not do as others from the States have done, i.e., take back with him one of the pretty girls of the neighborhood as they are getting scarce.

Middleville News:  Mr. Archibald Penman with his family, has taken up residence here and will soon begin construction on his steam sawmill.

Perth Courier, April 20, 1888

The Canon farm near Kearns ’ Corners has been bought by Mr. R. C. Sherratt who has lately moved onto his newly acquired property.

An old lockmaster at the Kilmarnock Rapids on the Rideau Canal , Charles Ritchie, died in Kent County, Ontario on the 6th March, aged 67.

Perth Courier, April 27, 1888

Mr. William Brownlee, near McDonald’s Corners, Dalhousie, has made over 100 gallons of maple syrup this season and over 100 pounds of sugar.  He has sold his syrup at the rate of $1 per gallon.  There is a good deal of wealth in our Canadian rock maple and our farmers should therefore take great care of their sugar bushes.

One of the lower St. Lawrence fishermen, Mr. Guillment, from North Mountain below Quebec is about removing his family to town he having worked in the carshops here for some time.

Miss Minnie Dobbie, late of Emerson , Manitoba , is visiting her sister in town Mrs. J. A. Laurie.

Mr. Robert Patterson, Carleton Place, barrister, is winning golden honors for his newly developed powers of reading and elocution having especially distinguished himself in rendering the old reliable gem “How Rubenstein Placed the Piano”.

Queen’s College Entrance Exams—At the late examinations at Queen’s College, Kingston , the following are among those graduating:

B.A. Degrees:

A. U. Bain of Kingston , son of Rev. Dr. Bain

W. B. C. Barclay of Arnprior

C. H. Sinclair of Carleton Place

Doctors of Medicine and Masters of Surgery

Miss A. G. Crane of Smith’s Falls

J. B. Fraser, Westmeath

F. A. Wright, Westmeath

Among the passing students Miss Annie Campbell of this town came out very creditably her standing being first in Jr. German, first in Jr. French and 2nd in Jr. Math and third in Jr. Latin.  Donald G. McPhail of Drummond, passed very creditably in Sr. English, Jr. Physics and Chemistry and Jr. Hebrew.

Farm and Implement Sale Ad:  Estate of the late Henry Poole, Lot 6, 4th Concession Drummond.

Perth Courier, May 4, 1888

Ad for farm implement sale:  James Hughes Lot 12, 3rd Concession Bathurst; Farm for sale ad George Palmer, Esq., 9th Line Burgess.

Notice to Creditors:  John Hollinger, Ferguson ’s Falls, merchant, insolvent, has assigned.

Cleanup—All householders in the town of Perth are hereby required to clean up all filth and rubbish on their premises and to put their cellars and outhouses in a proper state of cleanliness by the 15th May inst.  Wood and rubbish must be removed from the streets by the same day.  I will make a thorough inspection of all premises after the above date and parties will be liable to prosecution who have not complied with the law.  I also give warning to owners of cows found running at large will be prosecuted.  Robert Stone, Chief Constable and Sanitary Inspector.

On the occasion of his leaving Maberly for Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan , the members of the S. Sherbrooke Agricultural Society tendered a farewell supper to Mr. George Charlton who has been one of the active members of that body.  The supper took place at Morrow’s Hotel in Maberly and was largely attended by prominent residents of that township.  After the supper was finished a course of toasts, speeches, songs, etc., followed, Mr. Charlton replying in feeling terms when his health was drunk.  Mr. Charlton’s departure will be a loss to the village of Maberly and the township of S. Sherbrooke .

Mr. John A. McAndrew, M.P.P. for S. Renfrew was united in the holy bonds of matrimony to Miss Laura A. Evans of St. Louis .

Miss Crane of Smith’s Falls who has just taken her M.D. with high honors at Queen’s College, is going to England to pursue her studies.

Mr. A. Wood, an employee in J. H. Gould’s foundry, Smith’s Falls, has received a bronze medal from Ottawa sent out by the Khedive of Egypt in recognition of the services rendered by the Canadian voyageurs in 1884-85.

Perth Courier, May 11, 1888

We learn that M. Browning, 3rd Line Lanark, was united in the holy bonds of matrimony with Duncan McInlay, on Thursday 19th April at St. Paul , Minnesota .  Mr. McInlay is an old time Lanarkite but has been for a number of years very prosperous financially in the Western States.  Gazette Cor.

Mr. Thomas McInnis,  3rd Line Lanark Township has sold his farm to Mr. John Brown who will take possession shortly.

Mr. Hugh Wilson of the Perth Livery sold his farm here to Mr. Duncan McLean.  Mr. McLean is now living on the place and Mr. Wilson is gone to Perth .  Success to Hugh and Dunk.

Mr. and Mrs. Dunn left Lanark this week for Dakota where they will make a home for themselves.  Before leaving Mr. Dunn was treated to an oyster supper at Joe Bond’s restaurant by his Masonic brethren.

The Davenport , Iowa Morning Gazette of 7th April announces the death of an old resident of N. Sherbrooke in this county and oldest brother of James Smith of that township.  The Gazette says:  “At 11:40 p.m. last night occurred the death of an old settler named Robert Smith at his residence at 228 E. Fifth St .  Mr. Smith had been suffering for nearly a year from paralysis of the right side and this, combined with the infirmities of old age, proved fatal.  The deceased was born in Glasgow , Scotland on Oct. 6, 1799 and had therefore reached the advanced age of 86 years and 6 months.  He left Scotland in 1821 and went to Canada , settling upon a tract of land in N. Sherbrooke given him by the British government.  He lived there until 1834 when he came to Scott County where he settled upon a farm 9 miles north of the city.  He followed the pursuit of farming until 1864 when he removed to the city as a permanent resident.  Mr. Smith was highly respected by all who knew him—he was one of the most honorable of men—a loving husband, kind father and true friend.  He was a man of deep religious convictions.  For 40 years he was a member of the Christian Church and there were many with whom he met and worshipped during that long period who will regret to learn of his death.  Besides his wife, 8 children survive him:  Mrs. J. M.. Eldridge, Mrs. William Steele, Misses Mary and Ellen and Robert Smith in Davenport ; and Mrs. Maggie Rodgers in Chicago ; Mrs. Edward R. Moore in Cedar Rapids ; and Mr. James Smith in Rock Island

Perth Courier, May 18, 1888

Westport News:  John Barke, one of the oldest residents of this township, died on the 6th May and was buried in the Newboro Cemetery---Wally Dier, Ottawa, is on a visit to his folks---Mr. Fountain is going to Michigan.---Peter McCann of Michigan is here on a visit---George King of Toronto is here.  He will remain during the summer for his health---J. McCann has got his outside building painted---R. W. Lockwood is moving into his new store---Michael Rape shipped 500 deacon skins to the States last week---Michael Carney is visiting friends at Elgin ---W. H. Fredenburth will have his draft of saw logs to the mill this week---Mr. Johnson Alm, brickmaker, has removed here with his family---Miss Mary Ellen Martin is seriously ill.  Whig

On Tuesday lasts a young man named Albert McArthur of this town was arrested while in the act of assaulting his father Andrew with intent to do grievous bodily harm.  The young man was the worse of liquor at the time and acted like an infuriated madman.  The assault was at first made with a carving knife happily without success but this was followed by a series of blows and kicks which had the effect of disabling the father.  Neighbors and others interfered and prevented further assaults and Chief Constable Stone arrived shortly thereafter.  The assailant was arrested and placed in the lockup but not before a vigorous assault was also made on the constable.  The next day he was brought before Duncan Kippen, P.M., charged with resisting a constable in the discharge of his duty and sent him up to the county judge for trial.  No other charge has been pressed so far.

On Tuesday the remains of the wife of Mr. William Walsh of Ottawa , once a merchant of this town, arrived at the Perth station for burial in the Roman Catholic Cemetery here.  A large number of former friends of the deceased lady attended the funeral.

The Kingston Whig of Saturday says that R. J. McLenaghan of Perth and Alexander Ross of Pembroke passed their final examinations at the Dominion Business College last week and have been awarded the diploma of the college.  Mr. McLenaghan will remain for a short time to finish his course in phonography.

Almonte:  Mr. John Crawford and his two sisters—Mrs. McDonald of Perth and Miss Crawford of Montreal left here on Monday for old Scotland to spend a couple of months visiting relatives and seeing the sights that were dear to them in their youth.  It is 17 years since Mr. Crawford came across the “big creek” before.  Gazette

Perth Courier, May 25, 1888

Mrs. J. H. Feehan left for her home in Calgary , NWT, accompanied by her sister Miss Northgraves.

Mr. W.R. Moore, son of Mr. T. B. Moore, Clerk of the Drummond Township , having secured a position as clerk for a railway contracting firm in Maine , set out for the scene of his duties on Wednesday morning.

Mrs. J. Laurie, Sr., left town on Wednesday morning on a visit to her daughter Mrs. Alexander McGillivray, Dakota.

Mr. Albert McArthur was sentenced on Wednesday of last week to five months imprisonment in the county gaol at Perth for assaulting Chief Constable Stone in the discharge of his duties.  The more grievous offense of intent to do serious bodily harm to his father was not pressed by Mr. McArthur.

Mrs. Anderson who was once a teacher in the Perth Public Schools, was in town on Sunday visiting her mother Mrs. William Smitherman.

We have just learned of the death of Mrs. E. A. Bates of Arnprior the sad event taking place the early part of last week.  The deceased lady was born in Perth her maiden name being Mathilda Sacho of a family that was at one time very prominent in this town.

Farm For Sale Ad:  Donald Cameron Lot 4 (?) or 1 (?), 6th Concession Beckwith

Mr. J. H. Charles of this town left here on his way to Transvaal , South Africa where he has secured a situation through his brother who is already at that far off land.  He sails from Montreal on the Allan steamship Parisian to Liverpool thence direct to S. Africa.  Mr. Charles was one of the exemplary and steady young men of Perth and we have no doubt of his abilities to “get along” in his new home.

Mr. and Mrs. Jno McCallum, the latter of whom is a sister of Messrs. Duncan and Gavin Hamilton, will be remembered by many of the older residents of this section they having until about 12 years ago resided here.  From here they went to Michigan but after a couple of years another move west was made and they located in Marrow, Washington County, Kansas .  There they lived until a short time ago when they made another move west and settled in Wano, Cheyenne County, Kansas about six miles from the Colorado border and 15 miles from Nebraska .  The 10th (?) of April was the 25th anniversary of their marriage and the friends in Washington County decided to make them a suitable token of their esteem on that occasion.  Word was sent to friends in this section also and in Michigan and a liberal contribution went from here to aid in the scheme and Mr. and Mrs. McCallum were presented with a silver service of 28 pieces and an album containing the names of all who contributed for the present.

Perth Courier, June 1, 1888

Mr. W. L. Fairbairn of Brockville has removed to Perth , having accepted a position in the Riverside Cheese Factory.

Mr. George Kahain (or Kahaln), the popular dry goods clerk in J. Washburn’s store, Smith’s Falls, and Miss Kearns of Perth, were united in marriage at Perth on Monday last.

Mr. William Lee, Council Bluffs , Iowa , has sold the old homestead farm of 100 acres forming part of Lot 6, 2nd Concession Bathurst, to his brother Mr. Thomas Lee.  Mr. William Lee left for his home at Council Bluffs , Iowa this week.

Mr. and Mrs. Edward Tovey, 3rd Concession Bathurst, left town on Thursday morning on an extended tour of the U.S.   They first go to Chicago to remain for a time with friends and thereafter set out for Reading , Pennsylvania where a daughter lives.

Mr. James Biseneau has been appointed caretaker of the electric lights in town by the company.

We have received from Mr. Charles Mair a copy of a new and useful work just issued being the Directory of the Saskatchewan County in the Canadian Northwest, together with brief historical sketches of each district and of many of the principal people in various villages.  Among the prominent names in these sketches are Charles Mair, G. D.. Northgraves, Dr. H. U. Bain, all formerly of this town.

Last week Mr. Robert Patterson and Mr. James Weekes purchased an 87 acre lot in the iron region of Darling just next to a lot owned by an American Company which was found to be very rich in ore and is to be opened up by the company right away.  The indications on this lot are also that it is rich in ore and we hope some day to have to chronicle the fact of a return of $80,000 to $100,000 being offered to our enterprising young men for the property.  In any case, there is timber on the lot so nothing can be lost for the transaction.  C.P. Herald

Perth Courier, June 15, 1888

Middleville News:  Mr. George Thompson, mason, of this village, left for Vancouver , B.C., on Monday, 4th inst.  Mr.  William Bain having sold his farm 3 miles from here, accompanied him taking his family along.

Smith’s Falls:  Trampled to Death—June 8—Mr. Thomas Edmunds, the oldest resident of Montague met with a terrible death and was buried yesterday afternoon.  He was engaged in milking a heifer which manifested a frisky disposition and frequently kicked.  Mr. Edmunds secured a rope and fastened it around the cow’s horns.  The animal became thoroughly alarmed and started to run around the yard.  Mr. Edmunds was thrown violently against a shed and before he could rise was trampled upon by a drove of young cattle which became excited by the maneuvers of the heifer.  He died in a few hours.

Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Pink will celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary or “Silver Wedding” by an excursion to Sharbot Lake next Tuesday where they will entertain a large number of their friends including the members of the Perth Town Council, etc., about 75 invitations having been issued.


The Dominion of Age

Grand Demonstration

Will be held at Perth

Monday, July 2

Under the auspices of the Citizen’s Band

Grand Parade of Perth Volunteers, LaCross Baseball and Cricket Contests

$400 in prizes


Procession at 10:00 am

Horse Race at 11:00

Firemen’s Parade to the Agricultural Grounds 1:00 pm

LaCross Match Ottawa versus Perth , 2:00 pm

Baseball Match Smith’s Falls versus Perth , 3:00 pm

Half Mile Foot Race

350 Yard Race

100 Yard Race

350 Yard Race Firemen only

500 Yard Smoking Race

Boy’s race under 12 years

Girls’ race under 12 years

Farmer’s Race 200 yards

Carters Saddle Race Change Riders Last Horse to Win

The Day’s Proceedings will go to pay two brass bands

Grand Torchlight Parade

The steamer John Haggart will run an excursion from Westport and other places on the Rideau

Admission to Grounds 15 cents

Carriages 25 cents

T. A. Code, Chairman

Henry Taylor, Secretary Treasurer

Dennis R. Noonan

Thomas Barbie

John Keays

God Save the Queen

Perth, June, 1888

Perth Courier, June 22, 1888

Mr. George Oliver of North Burgess and a graduate of Kingston Business College , has received a situation of bookkeeper in the store of Messrs. Shaw and Matheson.

Word reached us that Mr. John Stanley, one of the councilors of North Burgess and eldest son of Mr. Michael Stanley, died in Kingston a few days ago of Bright’s Disease.  He was about 55 years old.

Smith’s Falls—Rev. Mr. Cook, the new pastor of St. Andrew’s Church, has commenced his duties here.  He will occupy the residence of D. R. Hamilton until the new manse is erected.  Rev. Mr. Blair of Almonte succeeds Rev. A. McCann as pastor of the Methodist Church here.  The latter has been stationed at Stanstead , P.Q.

Mr. W. R. Fanning, son of Mr. David Fanning of Carleton Place has just been elected by popular democratic vote to the lucrative and responsible position of clerk of the city of West Superior, Wisconsin.

The spooks and goblins that delight

To fill the terror of the night

That stalk about in hideous dreams

With which dyspepsia’s fancy teems

Will never trouble with their ills

The men who trust in Pierce’s Pills

Dr. Pierce’s pleasant purgative pills

Vegetable, harmless, painless, sure

Perth Courier, June 22, 1888

The new lodge of the I.O.O.F in Lanark Village which is to be instituted in Lanark Village on Thursday, 12th July, and the instituting officer will be Grand Master Reid of  Brockville or if he cannot be present the D. D. G. M. P.C. McGregor of Almonte.  It is expected that many of the brethren from the neighboring lodges will be present to give the new lodge a good send off.  The Lanark O.F. have named the lodge “Stanley” in honor of the new Governor General.  Gazette.

Smith’s Falls—Mr. Joseph Moorhouse has been given the Berwick Circuit by the Methodist Conference and will move there next week.  Mr. Moorhouse has been a local preacher for some years and has done splendid work and lots of it and will be missed by the church in this district.  For the past year he has had charge of the Montague mission here and he was much esteemed.

Almonte: Rev. George McRitchie, former pastor of the Methodist Church in this town is one of the oldest ministers in Canadian Methodism.  He is a good preacher and an earnest pastor.  He has been preaching for the past 50 years.  His last pastorate was at Prescott where he was universally esteemed and at the recent conference he was appointed to the West End Church at Ottawa .

Perth Courier, June 29, 1888

On Tuesday morning a man named Coyne, while on his way to work, observed a girl lying on the ground on one of the streets in the East Ward near the old Presbyterian lot who as he passed by asked him to get her a drink of water.  He called at the house of a Mrs. Ryan who lives nearby and stated the wants of the girl, which were relieved.  Upon inquiry, the girl, who proved to be sick, said her name was Kate Hamilton and she was shortly thereafter removed to the house of her brother in the vicinity.  Dr. Beeman was sent for and found the girl very ill from the effects of taking Paris Green and though everything was done to give the sufferer relief she died about 2:00 the same afternoon.  An inquest was held by Dr. Kellock, coroner.  The facts may be thus summarized:  The deceased, Kate Hamilton, about 17 years of age, and strong for her age, had been living for a year or more with her parents in Almonte.  She worked in one of the woolen mills there.  A few days before her death she came to Perth and on Monday evening left her brother’s house, saying that she was going to Morris’ Hotel on Foster Street where she had been engaged as a domestic.  She did not go to the hotel but, it seems, wandered about the streets in the neighborhood and taking a strong dose of Paris Green was soon in mortal agony.  In short, the poor victim suffered between that time and the morning when found, how much no tongue can tell.  When asked why she took the poison she said she did not wish to bring disgrace upon her father from which, it was evident, among other things, she had before this night a betrayer.  The coroner’s jury upon hearing the evidence, returned a verdict through the foreman Henry Taylor:  “we find the defendant Kate Hamilton met her death by willfully taking Paris Green.”

On Thursday morning of last week notwithstanding the inconveniences of the hour a large number of the many friends of Miss Ellen Crossin assembled at the station to say a parting farewell and wish her a bon voyage.  She has gone to her sister Mrs. H. Conway now residing in St. Paul , Minnesota to take a well earned rest after many faithful years of labor in the furrier department of Mr. H. Wright.  She leaves a sister after her who will indeed miss here on account of the deep attachment and constant association together.  She is highly respected and very much thought of by all who know her.  Miss Ellen Crossin will ever be remembered for her unassuming gentleness of character and kindness of heart.  It is our wish that the change she has undertaken will prove beneficial and that she will soon return to her native land in renewed strength of body and vigor of spirit.

Perth Courier, July 6, 1888

Miss A. Brown, dressmaker, formerly of Drummond Street , has removed to North Street , the second house past Stanley ’s Carriage Factory, where she will be pleased to meet her customers in the future.  Perth , June, 1888

Fallbrook News:  Last Friday evening, the young people of the vicinity gathered in the house of Mr. Harry Bain and there tripped the light fantastic till the wee hours of the morning.  Everything passed off as smoothly as only Harry can make it.  Next!!—Her Majesty’s Mail:  Again, within a short period of time has the carrying of the mail between Perth and Fallbrook changed hands.  Mr. Mills, postmaster of Playfair, has secured the contract for the ensuing year and commenced his duties last Monday.  Perched behind a spanking little team of blacks, and wielding the slender lash with cowboy dexterity, he gives the community great hope for early mail.—We understand it is Mr. Avery’s intention to keep on running a daily stage.

Maberly News:  A very large crowd attended Miss Ella Dowdall’s picnic in Mr. Patrick Carley’s beautiful grove on Thursday.  The weather was cool with a slight rain in the afternoon.  In spite of that it was a very enjoyable day for all.  A fine table was set and refreshments, drinks of all kinds were on the grounds; striking speeches were made by Mr. Patrick Carley, one of our councilmen, and Mr. Atcheson, our Reeve, and Ephraim Deacon, who were attentively listened to by the large audience.  After the closing up of the nic-nacks on the grounds Mr. Carley extended a wide invitation to the large crowd to his residence for an all-night’s hop.  Everything wound up pleasantly as Mr. Carley makes it pleasant for everyone coming to his place.

Lanark Links:  The following is clipped from the Brookings, Dakota County Press and will be of interest to many readers of the Courier here and in other parts of the county:  “Mr. Ed Reeves and Miss Edith Wallace both of this city were united in matrimony last Thursday evening at the residence of the bride’s parents Mr. and Mrs. J. J.. McDonald.  Reverend English, pastor of the Huron Baptist Church , officiated.  Mr. Reeves has long been a valued assistant in the Bank of Brookings where his many deals have earned him the confidence of his employers and the kindly interest of the patrons of that institution.  The bride has been a resident of Brookings for some years and is, as her husband, highly esteemed in society.  The ceremony was performed in the presence of a large number of friends of the couple and a number of substantial tokens of esteem were bestowed upon them in the way of wedding presents.  The house, for the reception of the bride, had already been tastefully furnished by the groom and the newly wedded pair immediately set up housekeeping in the residence in east Brookings known as the Deeth property”.  (transcriber’s note, not sure why bride is Wallace and parents are McDonald  

Oliver’s Ferry News:  The Ferry is becoming a popular summer resort, a number already spent some time here—some of them from a distance and others are expected in a few days.  Among those who have already come are Mr. Bethune and family and Mrs. Henderson of Smith’s Falls; Mrs. Hopkins and family from New York (Mr. Hopkins is expected soon); Mr. Orme and family; Mr. White and family from Ottawa are coming next week.—There are some improvements of note in some of the buildings.  Mr. Bethune of Malson’s Bank in Smith’s Falls is busy building a cottage.  We hope to see Messrs Riddell and Garrett follow his example.  Mr. F. T. Frost expects to build this Fall and have a cottage ready for next summer.  Mr. P. Coutts is busy at his house and expects to have it ready shortly.—We had a pleasant visit from Rev. D. Mills and wife from Aylmer , Quebec last week—Dr. Thomas McLean of Fergus Falls , Minnesota , son of Mr. William John McLean was here on a visit of two weeks to his parents.  He left for home last week.

Maberly News:  Mr. George Spooner was married on Wednesday of last week to Miss Mary Duffy.

Pine Grove News: 

At Length the Summer days have come

The hottest of the year

It makes the strongest wife his brow

And the faintest lose his cheer

Everybody’s busy raising, shingling, fencing, etc., since the hail storm just past.  Still, the glazier replaces the broken window panes.  Crops look better than first anticipated and the ‘taters and corn is getting hold.  Fruit of all kinds is said to be completely blighted.—The young people of Lanark Village and vicinity were all invited to the residence of Mr. John Deachman on the evening of the 15th June to enjoy a social time which they did to perfection.  If we may judge by the humorous expressions and happy smiles visible in every countenance, and by the hearty welcome given by the kind host and hostess, it was a success.  The principal amusements were games of various kinds, music and dancing and a sumptuous repast.  The small hours were far advanced when the happy crowd dispersed to seek repose.


The Dominion of Canada came into the full legal age of 21 years on Sunday but demonstrations and celebrations of course, were reserved for the next day, Monday.  Like most other mornings this summer, morning broke out unclouded with a copper sky and sun undimmed by any sign of rain.  All over town the blood red flag of Great Britain waved in the breeze from towers and housetops and gave life and gaiety to the streets.  The crowd began to gather early and as soon as the amusements were ready there was a crowd ready for them.  Wagons and carriages brought throngs into the town from all parts and about noon Seeley and Moffatt’s steamer brought a load of nearly 200 from Westport and Portland .  Another crowd of sports came from Mallorytown to see their Lacrosse club carry off the game in the afternoon and this is just what did happen.  The weather was hot as usual but the crowd bore it manfully all day and up to 10:00 at night.  The stores remained open till noon and then were closed to give the clerks a chance to enjoy the day.  The hotels did a rushing business from morning to night.  The program opened at 10:00 with a procession of volunteers under Captain Motherwell and three companies of firemen in uniform two from Perth and one from Lanark, the band adding the long line and filling the air with martial music.  After this came the


The first excitement was the Hose Race between the 2 Perth companies.  The Tay Steamer Company won first money time 52 seconds the Union kindly took second place.  The Lanark firemen who were present to be in the long procession did not compete


A cricket match between the Lanark and Perth clubs was played in the forenoon on the grounds of the Perth Club.  The two clubs made a good stand and one of the Lanark team, Mr. Bond, displayed special qualities as a fielder but the Perth club, being an older club, won the game in one inning.


A very exciting match was played on the exhibition grounds in the afternoon by the Perth and Mallorytown clubs.  It is said that the latter team brought with them players from both Brockville and Kingston though we cannot vouch for the truth of this.  But, they provided a good lot of men able with their legs and sticks and rather surprised our boys by taking both the first and second games which gave them the coveted first prize.  The first game was won in 10 minutes; the second in 55 minutes.  In the latter innings the Perth club woke up and several times during the long tug of war they were on the verge of putting their ball through the opponents’ flags but never quite succeeded.


The foot races amused the crowds as long as they lasted and were entered into with the right amount of enthusiasm.  Mr. T. A.. Code presided over this department with efficiency and judgment.  We give a list of the successful participants:

One Half Mile Race:  1st, Charles Faye, 2nd, W. H. Clarke

350 Yard Race:  1st, C. Faye, 2nd W. H. Clarke

Fireman’s Race:  1st, James Foote, 2nd Thomas Baird

100 Yard Race—1st C. Faye, 2nd W. H. Clarke

100 Yard Fat Man’s Race:  1st Timothy Horan, 2nd Richard Walker

Farmers’ Sons Race:  1st. J. F. McLaren, 2nd James Morris

Farmer’s Race:  1st John Adair, 2nd Cyrus Davis

Girl’s Race: 1st, Minnie Hamilton, 2nd Sophia Boas

Boy’s Race:  1st Thomas Davis, 2nd S. Jameson


A rattling game of baseball came in later in the afternoon between Perth and Smith’s Falls teams.  This was perhaps the most taking piece of business in the entire sports program but as it turned out was rather one-sided.  The Perth players were in good shape and did their work well and had a first rate pitcher who threw curved balls.  This was Mr. Williards.  He settled right down to work at the start and with able assistance from his colleagues in the field kept down the Smith’s Falls score to three all told.  The final score was Perth 20, Smith’s Falls 3.

The “Little World” show on the grounds drew crowds into the main building to see its collection of marvels.  The perfect mechanism which moved these automatons in and about the “Little World” each one to its own work or track was the work of a master hand and we are glad to know that the maker, Mr. Robertson, is a Scotchman who has lived for some years in Brockville . He has been enabled through the receipts from it to retire with  a little fortune to his credit.  Mr. J. A. Laurie had two or three lunch stands going on the grounds and was patronized without limit both in the eating and drinking line to say nothing of the quantities of ice cream, confectionary, etc., disposed of .  Temperance beverages were at a high premium this hot day.


Perth Courier, July 13, 1888

Miss M. Bourns of Toronto is visiting her sister Mrs. J. D. Ager of Perth.

We regret to learn that Miss Mennie Mitchell, eldest daughter of Mr. George Mitchell, once a well known citizen of Perth, was fatally injured from a fall from a horse at her father’s home in Florida.

Mr. John Magillivray, younger brother of Rev. Mr. Magillivray, former pastor of St. Andrew’s Church, Perth, and an honored graduate of Toronto University, has just taken the degree of Ph.D. at Leipsig (?) University in Germany.

Maberly News—Mr. James Ure has received a large amount of wool at his carding mill. –Weather very hot.—Mr. James Norris succeeds Mr. Hannah, who has carried the mail from Althorpe to Bolingbroke for 25 years.—Mr. James Stalker of Pleona (?) is looking after the improvements of the road between Ardoch and Solis Corners.  $1,000 was expended on it.—Mr. Alexander Stalker of Playfair’s Corners will create a long stable for the accommodation of the public and also open a house for travelers this Fall.

Harper News—Last Friday, a basket picnic was held in Mr. Brownlee’s grove on the 6th Line where a large crowd attended many coming from a distance, tea being served.  Messrs. Wilson and Cameron furnished excellent music while many engaged in swinging and various other amusements.  A very enjoyable day was spent throughout with hopes that there might soon be another.

Perth Courier, July 20, 1888

The Carleton Place Central Canadian says two boys of Smith’s Falls, Jim Montgomery and Tom Edgeworth were arrested Thursday last for throwing stones at the Orangemen’s train as it was leaving the depot.  They broke a number of windows a struck Trainmaster Cardiff.  They were promptly arrested, tried locally and then sent to Perth where on further examination Edgeworth was set free and Montgomery sent back to gaol to await further action.

A barn belonging to James Christie, 9th Concession Montague, was blown down with the storm on Wednesday of last week injuring Mr. Christie who was inside at the time so severely that he died on Saturday.  C.P. Herald

Mr. R. J. McLenaghan of this town has returned to Kingston to take a thorough course of shorthand in the Dominion Business College there.

The mother of Rev. M. Magillivray, late of Perth, died at her home near Collingwood, Ontario on Sabbath last.  She had been ill for some time.

Maberly News—Sad news comes to the effect that Mr. Jas. Gemmell of Plymouth, Mass., brother-in-law of Mr. A. W. Burtch of this place, died at his residence on the 11th inst., after traveling for the past year in the south and western States for improvement of his health but with no lasting benefit—consumption took him at last.  He was engaged for over 22 years on the railway running from Boston to Plymouth as engine driver on the fast express.  He leaves a wife well provided for.  He carried life assurance of $4,000.  His remains were interred at Williamstown, New York.

Perth Courier, July 27, 1888

Smith’s Falls:  Chief Vrooman arrested a young man Daniel McCann last evening for forgery at the instance of the Malson’s Bank.  He was charged with having forged the name of John McLaren for whom he worked until a few days ago, to a check for $25 on which he drew the money from the above bank.  Chief Vrooman arrested him last night at Ward’s Hotel.  He was brought up today for examination and was remanded.  He had been drinking hard for the past two weeks which is to be attributed to his present trouble as nothing of this kind was ever laid to his charge before and doubtless would not be now but for liquor and as he says himself he did not realize what he was doing.  Those who know him best speak well of him and blame liquor for his difficulties.

Mr. George Lowe, Carleton Place, returned home on Saturday from a visit of some weeks to his son-in-law Simon McViety of North Elmsley, whose home is on the banks of the Rideau Lake which is a pleasant one to visit.  Mr. Lowe’s old enemy rheumatism troubles him considerably but in no measure keeps him down or dampens his social activities, qualities for which Mr. Lowe is proverbial.

Mr. Cochrane, druggist, son of the late Mr. W. Cochrane, Middleville, left on Monday for Victoria, B.C., where he has secured a lucrative position.

On Saturday afternoon a man named Jno. Allan, who was committed from the village of Newboro some months ago, as a lunatic, died at the jail.  An inquest was held and a verdict rendered of death from natural causes.  The deceased was about 30 years of age.

Perth Courier, August 3, 1888

Mr. J. Washburn, merchant, Smith’s Falls, has made an assignment for the benefit of his creditors with liabilities footing up to $70,000.

Mr. Alexander Robertson, manager of the Perth Bolt and Nut Works, left here on Monday on a trip to England and Scotland.  He will be away until October.  Mr. Robertson was born in Scotland but lived in London many years and has friends still there.

Farm For Sale Ad:  Lot 4, 6th Concession Beckwith, 100 acres, Donald Cameron.

Almonte:  Messrs. James, William, and Henry Patterson of Boston, Detroit and Lakefield, respectively, were in town last week attending the funeral of their father Mr. Henry Patterson.

Smith’s Falls:  Mr. Lewis Golay, bookkeeper in Frost & Woods office, will leave for his boyhood home in Switzerland next Wednesday.  We wish him a bon voyage and a safe return.

With regard to the item going rounds that Mr. E. H. Whitcomb of Merrickville is the oldest Orangeman living in Canada, Mr. John Wright of Ramsay writes to say that he is the oldest that he joined the Order in Armagh, Ireland in 1827 and was instrumental in the organization of a lodge in Canada in 1834 and has been in close connection with the Order for over 60 years.

Perth Courier, Aug. 10, 1888

Mr. Thomas Brooke and Mrs. Brooke have gone to Belleville to spend a few weeks with their son-in-law Robert Sibbett, proprietor of Queen’s Hotel in that city.

Mr. William Bothwell has been appointed general caretaker of the electric light machinery and lamps of the Perth Electric Light Company and attends to both ends at Glen Tay and Perth.

Mr. John H. Balderson of the Finance Department, Ottawa, and son of Mr. Robert Balderson, Perth, has been appointed private secretary of the new Postmaster General John Haggart.

Maberly News—Mr. J. T. Fairgrieve of Port Elmsley  arrived home last week from his native Scotland after visiting there and also Ireland and England.  He looks exceedingly well after his trip.

Smith’s Falls:  Mrs. Pattie, assistant in the High School, has resigned her position on account of ill health.  Her many friends and the friends of the school will regret to hear it.

Smith’s Falls:  The new hotel which Mr. McLaren is now making the excavation for, is to be one of the finest between Toronto and Montreal.  It will be 60 x 120 feet, four stories high, built of brick with stone dressings and granite pillars.

Smith’s Falls:  Chief Vrooman arrested D. McCann on Tuesday for being drunk and disorderly.  He was up before Magistrate Ferguson yesterday and given the option of $6 or 30 days.  He was obliged to take the latter and now languishes behind the bars of the Perth gaol.

On Tuesday Mr. Waddell, asylum bailiff, took under his charge from the Perth gaol Duncan Ferguson, Alexander Fraser and John Shaw, insane, contained therein; and on Thursday Mrs. McLaughlin, female bailiff, took away from the same gaol Mrs. Griffin of Perth and Mrs. O’Brien of Montague, all destined for the lunatic asylum at Hamilton which has lately been enlarged to the extent of 200 rooms.  Still there are a number in the Perth gaol waiting for admittance into the asylums of the province which even yet are overtaxed to accommodate the lunatic population of the land.  Lunacy in Ontario is not supposed to be increasing but the enlargement of the asylum accommodation is bringing more subjects to the surface.

Mr. George Watson, who was injured in the spine just a year ago by a fall from scaffolding in town, returned to his home in Perth last week from the Ottawa Hospital.  His general health is good but his legs are yet almost useless although he can go about on crutches.  He will return to the hospital soon.

Perth Courier, Aug. 24, 1888

The many friends of Robert A. Ramsay, who went to Colorado for his health some months ago will regret to learn that the change has done him no good.  Word was received here last week that he was very low and his brother David Ramsay left this week to bring him home.  Gazette

Mr. Donald McTavish, Drummond, near Balderson, arrived home from Scotland on the 30th July, bringing with him his daughter Maggie McTavish who had been visiting friends in Greenock for the seven months previous.  He was accompanied on his voyage and back with his brother-in-law Mr. R. S. McTavish, of Ottawa.

Mr. George Watson who was injured here bout a year ago and who has since been an inmate of the Ottawa Hospital, has removed his family to Ottawa.

Mr. O. R. Jacobi, the well known artist who resided in Perth some time within the last few years, recently celebrated his golden wedding at Ardock, Dakota.

Perth Courier, Sept. 7, 1888

A vein of hematite which from present indications promises to be very rich, was discovered recently on Lot 23, 11th Concession, Township of Darling.  Mr. Thomas Boyce of White Lake, owns the front half of the lot and James Bell of Arnprior owns the rear half.  We understand that Captain Moore, an American capitalist, is trying to form a strong company to work the mine.  Among other miners being mentioned is Hon. John Haggart.  If a company is formed, the ore will be hauled either to Rosebank or Almonte stations.

Innisville Inklings:  The English Church Harvest Home, that came off at Innisville last Thursday was a grand success.  Everything passed off like a charm and the committee that was in charge of the affair are to be more than usually congratulated on the work in estimating the needed things for such a day’s event.  As to the ladies much credit is due to them for their expertness in cooking up so deliciously and in so many forms of what is termed the staff of life.  About 10:00 in the morning the crowds began to gather and to accumulate until the grove became no longer a playground for tiny lambs to frolic but a garden holding in its bosom a mass of the happiest kind of people.  After dinner was served, the contents of the program began to unravel by Rev. Mr. Osborne who made the opening speech, the organ sending forth its harmonious peals and the voices of the large choir ringing through the trees with the most harmonious strains.  Next came Mr. Lee, M.P.P., Fallbrook, who delivered an address on “Many a Little Makes a Mickle”.  The choir then sang another piece and Rev. Mr. Wright of Perth expounded a lengthy and very eloquent address on “The Christian Church”.  The program went on until Mr. Rathwell’s turn came but time being very scarce with him his address was very short.  The music for the most part in the evening consisted of violins and a guitar.  The platform was thrown open to the crowd and was used beneficially.  Many enjoyed the pleasure of boating and many took part in baseball, races, etc.  The thing must have been a grand success as the proceeds amounted to about $150.

Innisville Inklings:  We regret to state Mrs. John Boyd of Boyd’s Settlement is very low at present with four diseases, three of which are of the vital organs.  Hopes for her recovery are very doubtful.

Innisville Inklings:  Mr. Ezra Black of Preston, died at his residence a week ago last Sat., and was buried in the Preston Cemetery ground a week ago Monday at 1:00 pm.  He was an aged man being well up of 70 years and his death has cast quite a gloom over the community.

Maberly News:  We are sorry to learn that Mr. Palmer had the bad luck, cause unknown, to have his house burned to the ground on Friday night about midnight, losing the contents and nearly all the clothing, saving only two tubs of butter.  $300 in money and some notes were burned; no insurance.—Thrashing has begun.  Oats are worth 40 cents a bushel.—We regret to learn that Mr. R. Harvey, our miller, leaves on Monday, accompanied by his sister-in-law, for Holyoke, Mass., where he will reside.  His family are remaining her for a time.  This will leave our grist mill idle.

Smith’s Falls:  Smith’s Falls is to have another lawyer in the person of Mr. Farrell of Kingston who has just passed his exams.

Westport:  Matthew Battersby died on the 24th August at the age of 83 years.  He was an old resident and highly respected.—Cornelius O’Shea sold his home and lot at the Upper Mills to James McGough for $650.  Thomas Bird sold his farm of 50 acres to his brother William for $1,200.  He will move to Michigan in November.  --  Caspar Speagle bought a village lot from J. H. Whelen on Whelen Street for $125 and will build at once.  --  Andrew McCann’s brick house with mansard roof is nearly completed under Thomas Kitley, Brockville, contractor.  Arthur McCann will shortly move to a new home on Spring Street.  James Botting is veneering his dwelling.  --  The Presbyterian Church is undergoing repairs.  --  Platt Curtis’ hotel is being painted by John Carbery, Smith’s Falls and Thomas McRea’s house by Patrick McCann.

Mr. Joseph Cockfield of St. Joseph, Missouri is visiting his mother and sister in this town having grown to manhood since he left a few years ago.

Masonic Appointments:  R. T. Walkem, Grand Master, has appointed the following V. W. brethren to the offices indicated for the ensuing Masonic year:  H. Clark, Walkerton, Grand Senior Deacon; C.F. Mansell, Parkdale, Grand Superintendent of Works; James Walters of Napanee, Grand Director of Ceremonies; W. J. Pink, Perth, Grand Organist; J. H. Bothwell, Lanark, Grand Puranivant; William Baillie, Kingston, Grand Steward.  Whig.

Dividing of the estates of the two wills provided in the Surrogate Court in Perth last week the following particulars are given:  The estate of the late Boyd Caldwell personally was sworn at $400,000 and the realty at $265,000 in all $665,000.  The will gives to the widow the homestead dwelling and store in Lanark Village with the personality of the homestead and $30,000.  To each of his three daughters $20,000 and the residue to his sons William receiving the lumber business, Thomas the woolen manufacturing business.  The valuable iron mining properties are divided equally between the sons.  The will of the late John Gillies of Carleton Place puts the personality at $386,200 and the realty at $141,200 making $527,400.  The will gives to the widow the homestead residence at Carleton Place with the personality at the homestead at $20,000.  To his daughter Mrs. Janet McEvoy he gives the mill property at L’Orignal and $25,000.  To his daughters Ellen and Elizabeth $30,000 each.  To his niece Catherine Bain $5,000.  To his son George Gillies, the machine shop and plant at Gananoque.  To his five sons James, William, John, David and George he gives the money already advanced to the.  The residue of his estate is to be conveyed into money and divided equally into 8 shares and given to each of his 8 sons and daughters.  The daughters’ shares in the residue are to be invested by the executors and the income paid to them during their lives and the principal to be paid as they shall respectively appoint by will or in default of their making any appointment to their children.  If any of them shall die without making an appointment or leaving issue then it is to be divided among those entitled as in the case of intestacy.

Smith’s Falls Incendiary Fire:  A Tale of Wanton Crime and the Just Penalty—Two Men get 14 Years in the Pen—The town of Smith’s Falls has during the last few years been the scene of a number of severe conflagrations and fruitless attempts were made to ferret out the incendiaries.  Of late the fires have been of frequent occurrence and so disastrous in their effect that the public have been forced to the conclusion that the persons engaged in the diabolical work were not altogether strangers to the town.  The Attorney General sent Detective Rogers down from Toronto last week and three arrests were made yesterday evening by Chief Vrooman, Constable McGillivray and Dixon.  The persons arrested are George Ringer, Albert James, and William Brown, all well known in this town and all employed by Messrs Frost and Wood.  Brown is a private detective named Giver, who was sent down from Toronto some weeks ago to work up the case.  He won the confidence of the parties accused and claims to have secured ample evidence to convict Ringer and James who have been committed for trial by the county judge.  Brown, of course, was discharged, he will appear to give evidence. 

Some of the fires --  Among the buildings laid to the door of the gang are the following:  6th March Mrs. Gould’s barn; 26th May, Mike Casey’s barn; 20th May, Tweedie’s barn from which a house caught fire; 12th August, Mrs. Taylor’s barn.  Three attempts were made on Lockwood’s livery stable.

How the Detectives Worked:  Some time last Spring a young fellow named Bob James, brother to the James arrested, was arrested for damaging property.  He had been for some time previously a suspect in the incendiaries very curiously the night he was in the lockup a building was burned.  Next morning the magistrate released Bob James having secured from him a promise to “skip town”.  He skipped, but there was no diminution in the number of fires 13 having taken place in the town since James ceased to be a resident there.  At last, the local authorities grew desperate and appealed to the Provincial Government with the result mentioned above.  Detective Rogers went down in June and came to the conclusion that Albert James and Ringer were the guilty parties.  Grier was then put to work and within a couple of weeks had succeeded in securing the confidence of the suspected men.  It is understood that James admitted having originated the whole or in part of setting 24 fires during the past few years.  His brother Bob used to help him and the night he was locked up Albert fired a building to throw suspicion off Bob.  Ringer seemed to like the work and joined him.  The incendiaries appeared to have no other object than amusement in kindling fires.

Trial followed, not transcribed here---the prisoners were convicted and sentenced to 14 years in the penitentiary.

Elsewhere in the same newspaper:  The sentence of 14 years in the Kingston Penitentiary of Ranger and James, the two parties found guilty of the crime of incendiarism in Smith’s Falls, is a stern but just one.  The punishment is none too severe for the nature and extent of the crimes done and though the fate of the misguided and reckless men on whom the doom of this long servitude was pronounced may be deplored for their own sake the community in large must feel relieved that two such desperate characters are to be safely out of their midst for so long a time.  To think that these men should time after time deliberately set fire to buildings in town where other combustible property was all around and which might in every case lead to the destruction of a good part of the town is beyond comprehension.

Perth Courier, Sept. 14, 1888

Mr. Albert Wade of this town will begin his university career in medical studies at McGill College in Montreal in October, having matriculated in the late entrance exam.

Rev. A. H. Scott, pastor of St. Andrew’s Church, Perth, arrived on Friday from Europe accompanied by Mrs. Scott.  Both looked exceeding well after the varied summer tour and both were welcomed home again by members of the congregation and others.  On Sabbath, Rev. Scott preached a powerful sermon to a large congregation.


The public are hereby thanked for the patronage bestowed on Richard Tovey, milk dealer, and I would respectively intimate that I have arranged to supply his customers from this date.  I will deliver the milk myself and it will be well done.  I will guarantee quality and the price will be right.  Cyrus Davis, N. Elmsley.

Almonte:  We regret to hear that Dr. Allan is seriously ill at present.  We hope to hear of his speedy recovery.  --  Mr. James Forgie is rapidly recovering from his illness when he was seized by an attack of pleurisy.  --  Mr. William Forgie is also down with a serious attack of dysentery.  We are glad to learn that he is also improving.  --  Mayor Greig’s illness took a severe turn Monday morning but he is again improving.  --  Rev. Dr. Bennett has been gaining strength at last.

Perth Courier, Sept. 21, 1888

Innisville Inklings:  We stated last week that Mr. Fenders and family had moved to  Plum Hollow.  It was to Huntersville.  – Miss Lizzie James of Ottawa, the young lady who has been visiting in this locality lately has had her name changed on the 6th of this month to Mrs. Fitzpatrick.

Port Elmsley News—Miss Adelle Snyder and Miss Katie Orr of this place are at present attending the Model School in Perth.  --  Mr. Robert Orr of this place intends entering Toronto University which opens in a couple of weeks.

Perth Courier, Sept. 21, 1888

Farm for Sale Ad:  John H. Armstrong, Lot 14 (?) 7th Concession , N. Elmsley, 100 acres.

The subscriber would say to all parties who intend to buy one or more bushels of winter apples that he has a car of the choicest kinds and qualities bought and to be sent forward as soon as picked and packed.  It will pay intending purchasers to wait and inspect these goods as every barrel is guaranteed first class in every respect or money refunded.  Francis Davis, Foster Street

Messs. J. H. Whelan and A. F. McCann of Westport have started a covered stage line between that village and the Kingston and Pembroke Railway to connect daily with the Rideau Canal Steamer and Brockville and Westport Railway, fast time, promised.

Mrs. John Hart, Sr., left here on Saturday to spend the winter with her son Rev. Professor Hart of Winnipeg.

Mr. J.P. McDonald of Bathurst, one of the most expert penmen at the Kingston Business College, was one of the competitors in the penmanship competition at the Toronto Industrial Exhibition.

At a mulch cow competition in Kingston last week Mr. Joseph Yuill of Ramsay carried off the silver medal in the Ayreshire class.

Middleville News:  Mr. William Angus, who has been for 14 years the subject of paralysis sank sweetly to sleep in Jesus on Thursday, 13th inst.   With difficulty only could he walk a few paces and conversed in whispers.  He was entirely unable to raise his hand to his head and was in all respects as dependent on the kind ministry of others as a child.  To this office he was constantly served by his two unmarried sisters Margaret and Mary, who devoted themselves in spirit to him, which timely illustrated Sir Walter Scott’s beautiful lines “when pain and anguish wring the brow, a ministering angel thou.”  No language of grateful recognition and praise can fully measure the work of such services rendered in a quiet way and often in lowly places.  Mr. Angus in his early manhood was a tall and vigorous man and marked consequently to the contrast when he became so singularly affected.  His illness was borne with the most uncomplaining submission to the Divine Will and “his end was peace”.  The funeral service took place at 1:00 on Saturday and was well attended.  Rev. E.C.W. MacCall conducted the service and preached.  Prayer was offered by Rev. Joseph Andrew.  The interment took place in the cemetery here.

Mr. Chevalier of Drummond has sold his farm to his neighbor Mr. James McMullen for the sum of $3,000.  Mr. John Fraser of Drummond has sold his farm to Mr. Hugh Campbell of Smith’s Falls for $3,000.

Maberly News:  A very sad and serious accident occurred here about 7:00 to Mr. George Williams, night operator, who went up the ladder to blow out the semaphore light; he made a misstep at the top of the ladder and fell to the ground a distance of 30 feet.  The section hands saw him falling.  When they picked him up he was unconscious in which state he remained up to last night.  At sundown a doctor had been called and said the fall caused a concussion of the brain.  No bones were broken nor any marks upon him.  His father in Toronto has been notified.

Maberly News:  Mr. George Livingston of Rokeby died last week; funeral Friday at 10:00 was held in the English Church, Rev. Mr. Scantelbury preaching a very able discourse.  His remains were laid by the side of his son in the churchyard.  He had been a resident of that place for over 30 years and his age was 72 years.  The funeral was largely attended.

Perth Courier, September 28, 1888

We learn that Mr. John Peel, once of this town, was blown to pieces at a blasting accident while engaged in the construction of a railway in Cape Breton.  The deceased was a printer by trade.

Mr. George Armstrong of Montreal, cabinet maker, died suddenly in that city on Friday last aged 67 years.  He was a native of County Antrim, Ireland.  The deceased was a prominent member of St. James St. Methodist Church.  He was a brother of Mr. William Armstrong of Perth.

Perth Courier, October 12, 1888


A full stock of the following seasonable goods:

Axes from the best makers including:







Cross Cut Saws of American and Canadian Manufacture

Cow Chains


Guns, Rifles, Powder, etc.

Coal Scuttles

Ash Sifters


Sleigh Runners

Sleigh Shoes-Steel

Cast Steel

I highly invite a call

Henry Taylor, Perth

Marriage Licenses Issued

The Pembroke Observer of last week contains the particulars of the marriage in the R. C. Church, Osceola, Man. (?), on Monday, 24th Sept. of Mr. M. O’Dea of Perth to Miss Julia Patterson.  The bride was assisted to the altar by her sister Miss B. Patterson while Mr. George Patterson of Perth acted as groomsman.

Mr. Alexander Robertson, manager of the Perth Bolt and Nut Company returned from his visit to Great Britain on Tuesday of last week having had a nice time among old friends.  While in London he was made an honorary member of the Primrose League and brought home his badge with him.

Robert R. Anderson, Carleton Place, grocer, died at that place on the 4th of diabetes.  The deceased was the son of Mr. Edmund Anderson of Hopetown, the noted bee keeper and his wife was Miss Smitherman, formerly of this town.

Mr. Thomas Greig, barrister, Carleton Place, died of typhoid fever on Monday last.

Perth Courier, Oct. 19, 1888

Advertisement:  William E. Moore and Samuel C. Wilson, general merchants, Maberly have assigned.

Mr. Robert Patterson, barrister, Carleton Place, has been made solicitor of the Supreme Court of Judicature for Ontario.

One of Lanark Township’s best farmers, Robert Lawson, Jr., is about leaving this county to settle in Manitoba.

An old man named Ewen Cameron died at Mt. Clements boarding house in town on Wed. morning at the age of 82 years.  He and his brother, two eccentric and aged men, both bachelors, lived for many years on the farm in North Elmsley but after selling it moved into town.  His remains were laid in the Presbyterian burying grounds in Perth.

Perth Courier, Nov. 2, 1888

I hereby give notice that I will not be responsible for any debts contracted in my name without my written order.  Charles Hamilton, Perth

Mr. R. A. Dodds, who left for Park River, Dakota last Spring, arrived home in Glen Tay about a fortnight ago and intends remaining.

The Brockville Recorder of 30th Oct. says that Ferguson Blackmer, who built a great part of the old plank road between Perth and Lanark, now is visiting that town after an absence of 20 years.  He is a nephew of the late John Kilborn of Newboro and therefore a relative of Dr. Kilborn of McDonald’s Corners.

Mr. William T. Walker of Winnipeg will arrive in town today and after an absence of about six years will resume his old place as partner in the publishing of the Courier.  Mr. Walker is a good all round newspaperman and as a job printer stood among the first in the city of Winnipeg during his stay and he carried on an office entirely devoted to job printing there.

Westport:  Mrs. James Toben died on the 15th July aged 75 years.  --  Mr. William Bresee (?) of Newboro, merchant, dropped dead on the 30th Sept. from heart disease.  --  Mrs. Richard Green is recovering from a long attack of typhoid fever.  --  Mr. W. H. Lockwood’s boy, Stanley, who has been sick about 5 weeks, is recovering.  --  Mr. W. H. Fredenburg’s roller mills are running at night and that to fill orders; he is selling flour in $6.50 barrels.  --  Mr. Edward Dier has moved into his new house.  --  Mr. John North will soon have his house completed.  --  Mr. Robert Bolton, newly married, will move into his new house this week.  --  All the cheese factories in this section closed on the 20th.  --  The A.H. & W. train left here on Sunday morning with passengers for the funeral at Brockville of the victims of the yachting disaster.  --  Kennedy brothers, harness makers, have dissolved partnership. Lewis Kennedy will start a shop at Lombarcy and V. W. Kennedy will continue here.  --  Mr. Thomas Bird sold his farm to his brother William Bird but he bought it back and will not go to the West.  --  Mr. George Jeacle (?), fishery overseer, arrived home on Saturday morning from the Rideau Lakes, heavily loaded with night lines and gill nets.  He would like the owners to call as he is anxious to know to whom they belong.  Whig.

Mr. John McDonald, son of Mr. L. McDonald, 10th Line Ramsay, who has been laboring all summer as a missionary in British Columbia, was in town on Saturday last on his way to Kingston where he is entering upon the study of theology.  Mr. McDonald’s work was chiefly among the miners in the mountains.  He looks well and as if he were ready for a good session’s hard work at books and lectures.  He went to Carleton Place to see his brother Neil who has been dangerously ill with inflammation of the bowels but who we are pleased to say, is now out of danger.

Posted: 24 November, 2003