Mountain Grove school building was erected in 1903 with lumber which was hauled from Weleetka by wagon and team. The school was one of the first built in Okfuskee County and was located about 6 miles NE of Okemah. Maintenance of the school was by subscription with each child paying $5.00 per month.
Mrs. Effie (Carter) Ownes now of Boise, Idaho and Mrs. Lola Lowrimore of Okemah were two of the first teachers. Miss Laura Wheeler (the later Mrs. T. V. McMahan) was another early-day teacher.
Some of the families living in the Mountain Grove area and whose children
attended the school included the Jim Wards, the Van Wards, the Cater Owens,
the Tom Lemonds and the W. J. Rutlands.