William Henry Lee, son of Rev. Daniel and Maria T. ( Ware) Lee, born Aug. 23, 1855, at Wilbraham, Mass., married, Jan. 29, 1880, Florence Genevieve Smith, born Nov. 11, 1859, at Castile, N. Y. She was a school and music teacher,—dau. of Benjamin F. and Wealthy (Dana) Smith, and grand-dau. of Isaac A. Smith, of Duchess Co., N. Y. |
In 1857 his parents removed to Hillsboro, Ill., where he was educated at the public schools. At the age of 17 he went to Texas,—in 1877 settled in Caldwell, Kas., where he engaged in farming, and, later in the cattle trade,—in 1884 was appointed deputy sheriff and served four years,—appointed cattle inspector by the Cherokee Strip Live Stock Association at Fort Reno, Indian Ter.—removed to Oklahoma at the opening of that territory in 1889. That same year “was converted through the influence of the Salvation Army,—pioneered the work in Guthrie, Kingfisher, Hennessey and Enid with remarkable success,—later engaged in the same work in Wichita and Hutchinson, Kas. Since 1895, has been engaged in evangelistic labor in Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, New York, Vermont, and New Hampshire, during which time over 3,000 have professed conversion, in his meetings,” His present home is at Wichita, Kas.
For his success, he has been largely indebted to his gifted wife, who has accompanied him as assistant and musician.
In Jan., 1898, he accidentally saw a copy of the book published by W. W. Lee, Secretary of the Lee Association, in 1884, and was able to give information which led to the discovery of the descendants of Elias Lee of Willington, Conn.,—of which he was one,—a family of whom the kindred in Connecticut had lost all trace for nearly 100 years. He at once took an active interest in tracing them and obtaining their records, and to his efforts they are largely indebted for the production of this work.