Post office established July 9, 1910.
Named by J. M. Thomas, first postmaster, for his home town in Illinois. Located 5 miles south of Drumright.
- more history below -
Links found online with connections to Shamrock
Newspapers: Shamrock Brogue; Shamrock Blarney; Shamrock Democrat.
Railroad: Sapulpa and Oil Fields Railroad (Frisco), abandoned 1957.
Shamrock in 1913 was a country hamlet with two general stores, a restaurant, and a population of thirty-five people. Two years later, as the Cushing Oil Field was developing, the townsite was shifted to the southern edge of the field and became a full-fledged boom town with a population in excess of ten thousand persons. Not only did the town grow, but several oil-field camps, with such names as Dropright, Gasright, Alright, Downright, Damright, and Justright, also were located in the vicinity.
Like all such oil towns, Shamrock had its saloons, gambling halls, and tough individuals. Ruby Darby, a noted oil-field entertainer, performed "on top of a pool table so everyone could see her dance." Probably the last big excitement in Shamrock was in 1932, when Charles A. "Pretty Boy" Floyd robbed the bank.
Shamrock began declining in the mid-1920's. Oil-field workers were moving on to new boom towns. By 1930 the population had decreased to about seven hundred persons.
John W. Morris, Ghost Towns of Oklahoma (Norman, Oklahoma: University of Oklahoma Press., 1965).
- more -