County seat of Creek County.
Record Town for Recording District No. 8, Indian Territory.
Post office established July 1, 1889.
-more history below -
Named for James Sapulpa, a Creek, near whose home a railroad construction camp was located. The name is a Creek word meaning "sweet potato."
George H. Shirk, Oklahoma Place Names (Norman, OK: University of Oklahoma Press, 1965)
Differing opinion of the Creek word Sapulpa.
Sapulpa is located in the northeast corner of Creek County, Oklahoma. It occupies a territory over which five nations have flown their flag; Spain, France, England, Mexico, and the United States of America. However, during the War Between the States, the Choctaw Indian Nation flew its flag over the territory also. Sapulpa's history dating back to 1886, is rich in Indian and early American folklore.
By the treaty of 1865, the Creek Indians gave the right-of-way to the St. Louis-San Francisco Railroad and the line terminated at the present site of the city of Sapulpa in 1886. The name of the terminus was not decided upon, but the railroad men called the end of the line "Sapulpa" because it was there they lived and boarded with the Sapulpa's; an Indian family.
The treaty of 1866 between the Creek Nation and the United States provided for the establishment of post offices within the territory. In 1889 a post office named "Sapulpa" was established.
Under the Curtis Act of 1898, Sapulpa was incorporated. The town was rapidly organized after the passage of the law which authorized the ownership of land and the legal elections of town officers. The first election was held in April, 1898.
Although oil had been found at Chelsea in 1889, Muskogee and Bartlesville in 1897, and Red Fork in 1901, the territory was not recognized as a great oil reserve until the opening of the Glenpool field, four miles southeast of Sapulpa, in November, 1905. This oil boom fostered Sapulpa's greatest period of growth.
Sapulpa Chamber of Commerce, 101 E. Dewey, Sapulpa, OK 74066 - 918-224-0170
by: James Hubbard