Named for James F. Kelly, long-time local merchant.
- more history below -
Links found online with connections to Depew
In 1892 Jim Kelly leased a location from the Indian Agency in Muskogee and established a trading post southeast of Bakers Junction.
In 1893 Kelly made a contract deal with the Frisco Railroad Company to move the trading post and settlement near the railroad track east of Bakers Junction. In return they would name the town after him.
a large single story wood frame building at this location and moved his
goods by wagon three-fourths of a mile north to the new location. The store
served an extensive area of Indian and white farmers in the area. Soon
a stone building was constructed across the street east of the Kelly Mercantile
Store and Huber Hughes established a bank in the building. The railroad
established a depot along its line, a cotton gin was constructed west of
the railroad, a large wood frame two story building called the Oakleaf
Hotel was constructed across the street north of the Kelly Mercantile Store,
a post office was established and several homes were built, to constitute
the ville of Kellyville.