The railroad name for this town was Halls.
Depew post office established
April 12, 1901.
Named for Chauncey M. Depew, United States Senator from
Located 7 miles southwest of Bristow.
More history from the Depew Independent, May 21, 1909.
History of Depew Methodist
Links found online with connections to Depew
Depew was founded by W. F. Malley who first came to the place on January 15, 1901, and named the place Depew after the Honorable Chauncy M. Depew, U. S. Senator from New York, Walter F. Malley was the first Postmaster dating from May 17, 1901.
Depew was opened to the public on June 5, 1905, by the Depew Investment Co., M. Pate,
W. F. Malley, E. W. Sims, and A.H. Purdy. Depew's first school teacher was Florance Atwell, who taught a subscription school for two terms, 1905 and 1906. Depew's first board of education was
H. H. Barker, J. G. Hacker, and W. F. Malley.
Depew's first board of township officers was Dr. P. H. Anderson, J. B. Martin and
C. L. Stanfield. L. O. Shannon was elected first County Commissioner from the 3rd district 1907. The first newspaper published in
Depew was the Depew Independent edited by W. D. Coop March 5, 1909. L. N. Cothern was the first merchant, R. P. and H. H. Barker opened the First State Bank in October 1907. The first child born in Depew was Erwin Depew Martin.
We had to omit the names of our visitors on account of space.
It is the minds of everybody that a boom can hardly be kept in check. It is the purpose
to keep our present extraordinary prosperity under control if possible; for the best
judgment of our business leaders is that steady progress tot he surest way of reaching permanent conditions of stability. Men of money--and what is more, of brains and
energy -- are coming in from the surrounding country to identify themselves with our commercial interests.
We welcome you as merchants, manufacturers, professional men or farmers, come and make your home with us.
Submitted by Bobbi Dunn Nov 2004.