|Coordinator: Mel Owings
Olney, on Hwy 318, began about 1901. It was served by the Rock Island Railroad had about 11 merchants with 2 banks. One bank decided to move to Clarita in 1912, by simply loading the safe on a wagon and leaving town. On route the wagon overturned on a steep incline dumping the safe and breaking the wagon. A guard was left overnight until another wagon could be brought to retrieve the safe. Later, the guard admitted that they left him a shotgun all right, but they forgot to leave him any shells.
© 2008 -
Coal County Coordinator
|Hosted by RootsWeb|
|Copyright Notice: The creator copyrights ALL files on this
site. The files may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another
site without specific permission from the Coal County Coordinator, [firstname.lastname@example.org], and their creator. Although public information
is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are
presented, the notes and comments, etc. are.
It is, however, permissible to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY.