|Coordinator: Mel Owings
Lehigh, on Hwy. 3 was another of these coal mining towns. Originally named Boone City, the name was changed to Lehigh in 1882, after the famous Lehigh valley of Pennsylvania, a large coal mining area. Lehigh was the first county seat of Coal County and in 1907 the population was 2,188 and about 24 merchants, two railroad depots, serving the the 3 railroads though the town. A destructive fire swept through the town in 1912, and coal mining began to slow down in 1922.
© 2008 -
Coal County Coordinator
|Hosted by RootsWeb|
|Copyright Notice: The creator copyrights ALL files on this
site. The files may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another
site without specific permission from the Coal County Coordinator, [email@example.com], and their creator. Although public information
is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are
presented, the notes and comments, etc. are.
It is, however, permissible to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY.