|Coordinator: Mel Owings
Cottonwood, named for the large stand of cottonwoods in the area, was a company owned mining town. There were 11 coal mines in operation between 1880 and 1925, and 4 were in operation at the same time. The Rock Island was through this town on Hwy 131. In the late 1920's. the mines began to close.
© 2008 -
Coal County Coordinator
|Hosted by RootsWeb|
|Copyright Notice: The creator copyrights ALL files on this
site. The files may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another
site without specific permission from the Coal County Coordinator, [firstname.lastname@example.org], and their creator. Although public information
is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are
presented, the notes and comments, etc. are.
It is, however, permissible to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY.