|County Index| OKSpecial|YourTidbits| OutOfState |Clippings|OKDeaths| | OKBits
E Mail

Last Updated 

An OKGenWeb Project
If you have information posted on this site

OKbits File   Garvin Co: Wynnewood

Wynnewood New Era

February 13, 1908

W.A. KING of Wolf City, Texas died at his resident there Tuesday and his remains were shipped to this city where interment was made in the Oaklawn cemetery at 10 a.m.. Funeral services conducted by Rev. G.C. FRENCH.
Mr. KING was the father of Mrs. J.W.W. MITCHELL of this city; he was 76 yrs. We sympathixe with Mrs. MITCHELL  and family.
This Family Research By Janet Sue Milam jsmilam@worldnet.att.net

January 8, 1920

Mrs. Missouri A. LOCKE, died Tuesday.

January 15, 1920

Mrs. J.T. WEAVER,  died Monday.

February 6, 1920

Paul COOK died Saturday at age 14 years. Son of Mr. & Mrs. M. COOK.

Charles MINOR, died Monday at age 48 years.

February 19, 1920

Mrs. W.O. FORD, died a few days ago. Burial at Wynnewood.

March 4, 1920

Earl ROLAND, kills self by careless handling of shot gun on Wednesday. Age 28 years.

Wynnewood New Era

Thursday, March 25, 1920

Mr. S. WILDER, died Saturday of influenza, age 53 years.

A.J. MCLENDON, age 76 years, former resident, died at Ft. Worth, Texas Sunday. Burial at Oak Lawn.

Homer BRAMBLE married Rella CORDELL in Pauls Valley Tuesday.

April 6, 1920

Justice L.C. COYLE, age 67 years, died Thursday.

April 22, 1920

Mrs. Sarah A. PERRY, died Saturday at the home of her son, J.Fred PERRY, at the age 68 years.

April 29, 1920

J.B. WILLIAMSON married Myrtle Garrison on April 18.

Mrs. Pauline MITCHEM, sister of C.A. COX, died in El Reno on April 27. Burial in Wynnewood.

November 27, 1919

A.L. COCHRAN, died in OK City Tuesday, Funeral & Burial in Wynnewood.

December 4, 1919

Miss Maxie BALIEW married Leonard Francis STORM Thursday.

Mrs. DAVIS, mother of Mrs. CUTTER, died Tuesday.

December 25, 1919

Henry A. SADLER, a former Wynnewood blacksmith and former Mayor, died in Denver, Colorado December 8, 1919.

May 27, 1920

W.H. CROSSETT, father of Mrs. H.S. SHACKELFORD of Wynnewood, died at his home in Rosedale last week after an illness of several weeks.
Mr. CROSSETT has lived in this part of the country for many years and was well known to a number of the older citizens. He was engaged in the drug business at Davis for several years, moving to Rosedale five years ago. He was 82 years of age.
Funeral and burial service was held at Davis Saturday morning, A number of Wynnewood friends attended the last rites.

Thursday, February 22, 1923

George Freeman HARRIS, aged 68, died at his home on the J. L. HUCKS farm southeast of Wynnewood, Feb. 16, 1923. Graveside services were held in Oak Lawn cemetery, Saturday afternoon by Rev. J. H. CRAIN.
Mr. HARRIS was born in Polk County, Georgia to Joel and Elizabeth (BERRY) HARRIS on Jul 15 1856, and was married Oct 19 1876 in Bartow County, Ga. to Sarah Pauline BLACK, at her home. To this union were born eleven children, in Georgia, Missouri and Oklahoma, one who preceded Mr. HARRIS in death.
Survivors include his widow of the home, one daughter, Tresea COLLINS, in Missouri, plus five daughters in Oklahoma; LuDora MOORE, Lillian ANDERSON, Mary HUNTER, Ollie MOORE, and Ethel SCRUGGS, and four sons in Oklahoma; Sam, Freeman, Jr, Harold and Ora.
Submitted by Bonnie L Johnson bonniej@southwind.net

Thursday, January 21, 1932

Harold KING Dies

Mrs. J.W.W. MITCHELL was called to Oklahoma City Sunday by the serious illness of her brother, Henry KING, who passed away Wednesday.

This Family Researched by Janet Sue Milam jsmilam@worldnet.att.net

January 28, 1932

Card Of Thanks Signed by Mrs. KING and children, Mr.& Mrs. J.W.W. MITCHELL and family, Mr. & Mrs. A.H. MCLEIN and family.

The article below ran in The Wynnewood Gazette, Thursday, July 5, 1984. It was written by my Grandmother (Bessie SLOAN WRIGHT) who lived her entire life in Wynnewood area. She died in the Wynnewood Nursing Home 12/19/1996.

Depot Sparks Reminiscences

Editors Note: Bessie C. Wright feels like a lot of Wynnewood residents. She hates to see the Santa Fe Depot leave, as it brings back a lot of wonderful memories. Following is a letter to the editor recalling a few things that have happened in Wynnewood.

By Mrs. John Wright

Well, I suppose the train depot was built before Oklahoma ever became a state. I was born to Luther and Effie Sloan on December 26, 1909, and as far back as I can remember, it has always been here. At the time of my birth, my dad was working on the railroad. I don't remember how many years he worked on track maintenance and repair. Back then, before I was born, (about 2 years) this town was known as Wynnewood, I.T. (Indian Territory)
I was born in a small house north of Mr. Wheeler's Blacksmith Shop, down southwest of the park. By the time I was old enough to go to school, we moved south of the power plant, southwest of town. I walked to school from one mile south of the dump ground road. I always liked to stop by the power plant and watch the goldfish there. My first grade teacher was Mrs. Bradfield. When I attended high school, it was where the ball park (football field) is now. It was a three story building. Dr. Baker lived just back of it. The grade school was where it is now. At one time, my dad worked on the farm for Mr. Edd Leal, the banker. I guess that is the first time I can remember seeing a car. Mr. Leal had one and I would run out to the road to see it go by. I thought it was something to see it run by itself and not have horses or mules to pull it. By this time, we had moved two miles north and one mile east of the ball park. Of course, it wasn't a ball park then. One day Mother and I started to go into to town for supplies. Those mules were young and ready to go. Well, we saw one of those "tongueless wagons" coming meeting us. Right away we began preparing for it and so did the mules. I think it may have been Mr. Noah Leal's car. Anyway, the mules began to dance up and down and we knew things were going to get out of hand and they did! Yes, we had a run-a-way! Mother and I got down in the wagon bed and tried to keep from being thrown out. I cannot remember how far they ran or how we got them stopped, but we were plenty scared and going a lot faster than I wanted to go, sitting in the bottom of that wagon. And in those days, there weren't any shocks to absorb the bumps. Poor mules, they were scared too. They had never seen anything like that before. Well, if you don't mind, I'd like to reminisce a little bit about when we used to come to town. Now and then my aunt from Denison, Texas would come to see us, and we would wait for her train at the depot. It was fun. We lived about two miles or so out, and sometimes we would have to wait over for the train, instead of going back and forth. One time we spent the night at Earl Gibson's mule barn. (It would be like a parking lot for campers or cars in now. You would rent a stall and drive your horses (or mules) and wagon in and sleep in the wagon if necessary.) We had a team of mules and a wagon. In those days that was the way of travel. Oh, yes, Dad bought the mules from Mr. Gibson.
Sometimes Dad would bring plows to Mr. Wheeler's shop to be sharpened I liked to think I was helping when I would run the blower that kept the coals hot, I would crank it for him and watch how red the coals got. Then we would go on up to town and tie up to the hitching post along the curb. (I saw one not too long ago just north of Mr. Mettry's store, still in the concrete.) The streets were dirt then, not paved. Then we would go in Mr. Doug Frost's grocery store and he would give me some candy. Got a lot for a nickel in those days. Didn't have anything but peppermint sticks. Finally got peanut butter sticks. The Post Office, I think, was along there where the barber shop is now. Mr. Childress had a dry goods store where Musgrove Lumber is now. The Economy Store was where Otasco is. The Surprise Store just north of that. It was a 5c and 10c store. Mr. Keys had a hardware store where Wackers used to be. Buster and John Vaughn had dry goods stores south of there; one on one side of the street and one on the other side, I think. Mr. Secrest had the Drug Store. And there was a bank on the corner south of Ruby's Beauty Shop.
Also, if I'm counting right, there used to be five cotton gins in this little town. I still have a thermometer that is a little mirror and it has Mitchell & Rouse, Ginners and Cotton Merchants, phone 260 on it.
Well, I've lived here all my life and there is no other place like home to me. There have been a lot of changes, but it is still the best place for me. May we all work together to make it better. Sure hate to see our depot go. It is part of my earthly home town heritage. Now I'm looking forward to my Heavenly heritage.

Bessie C. Wright
201 E. Indianola
Wynnewood, Ok. 73098

Transcribed by Lou Byrne
Proof read and submitted by Theresa Young PUSH41@aol.com

Created by
Sharon Burnett-Crawford
Site Hosted by Rootsweb
Copyright 1996 - OKGenWeb Coordinator

You are visitor # 


This Page Was Last Updated