Stilwell Standard
|County Index| OKSpecial|YourTidbits| OutOfState |Clippings|OKDeaths| | OKBits
E Mail

Last Updated 

An OKGenWeb Project
If you have information posted on this site

OKbits File

Stilwell Standard, Adair Co. OK
By  Wanda Elliott

November 15, 1901

Laura, the 10-year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Seab HOLLAND, died at her parents' home Monday night from a relapse of typhoid fever. The burial took place Tuesday afternoon. Mr. and Mrs. HOLLAND have the sincere sympathy of the community in the loss of their loved one.

December 6, 1901

Ed ADAIR, a former well-known citizen of this community, was killed in a runaway near his home at Adair, I.T., Monday. His team became frightened and ran away, the wagon colliding with a tree. Mr. ADAIR was thrown out, receiving injuries from which he died in a few hours.

Memorial Resolutions - The undersigned your committee, report the following:  Whereas, a vacancy has occured in our fast departing ranks, by the death of noble brother, John R. KINCAID, a member of our lodge, always a true Brother and one of our useful citizens, who answered the last roll call at 12 o'clock, noon, November 21, 1901, near Stilwell, I.T.  Bro. KINCAID was born December 22, 1847, in Fannon [Fannin] County, Ga.; moved from there with his family to Flint District, I.T., in 1882, and was made a Mason in Flint Lodge, No. 11, in 1889. He leaves a wife and several children to mourn his loss.  Resolved, That we extend to the widow and orphans of our deceased Brother our deepest sympathy in their great affliction and commend them to Him who alone can sooth their sorrows.  Resolved, That these resolutions be spread upon the reocrds of this Lodge, and a copy be furnished the afflicted family; also a copy furnished The Stilwell Standard for publication.  F.M. WALLIS, John HOMAN, W.W. BLAKEMORE, Committee; C.W. ROSSHAM, W.M.F.M. WALLS, Sec.

December 13, 1901

Phillip WEBSTER, a well-known fullblood, died last Saturday at his home on Pea Vine, in the 39th year of his age. The funeral was held Sunday.

January 3, 1902

(Grove, I.T., Dec. 30, 1902)
James STARR, aged 68 years, 10 months and 12 days, died at his home near here from heart failure on Christmas morning and was buried in the Catholic cemetery at Cayuga, I.T., the following day.  While heart failure was the immediate cause of death, the deceased as suffered for several years from lung trouble and suffered much for the last six months on account of an enlargement of the glands of the bladder.  Deceased was born in Tennessee in 1833, and came to Flint District, Cherokee Nation, with his mother when only one year old. He resided in Flint District until the spring of 1878, when he removed to Delaware District, where he continued to reside till his death.  During the war he served in the Confederate army under Gen. Stand WATIE.  The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Father VERSOVAL, of Vinita, and Rev. Father KEILEY, of Parsons, Kansas. "Hickory" STARR, as the deceased was commonly known, was highly respected by all who knew him, and in him the poor always found a friend.

Mr. Gus RIDER, an old and highly respected citizen of this section, died at his home in Goingsnake DISTRICT on the 24th day of December. Mr. RIDER was an "old time" in the Cherokee nation, having lived here for more than 60 years--coming from the old Cherokee Nation in Tennessee when quite a boy. A singular coincidence is that deceased wrote to "Hickory" STARR, another "old timer" who lived in Delaware District, that he would spend Christmas with him, but as above mentioned, Mr. RIDER died Christmas eve and Mr. STARR Christmas morning. It was always a source of pleasure for those old people to get together and tell reminiscences - talks of early days about the "old nation" and here, too. The Standard condoles with the friends and kindred of both these old patriarchs, now gone to their eternal rest.

February 21, 1902

Hon. Watt CHRISTIE an old time Cherokee died at the home of Sam MANUS, in Tahlequah District, last Wednesday.

In a wreck on the Choctaw, Gulf & Oklahoma railroad last week, Robert JONES, well and favorably known in Stilwell, was instantly killed with six or eight others. Mr. and Mrs. T.P. BAILEY and Miss Mary JONES, of this place attended the funeral of Mr. JONES. Mrs. BAILEY and Miss Mary were sisters of Robert, and they have the sympathy of The Standard and this whole community in their sad bereavement. "Bob" JONES had many friends here who regret his sad and unexpected taking off. He was a splendid handsome young man, full of promise.  [Local News] Mrs. EAGLE of Kansas City, Mo, sister of Mrs. T.P. BAILEY and Miss Mary JONES, is visiting them this week.

Jess ALBERTY, well and ravorably known all over the nation, died at his home in Westville last Monday of Pneumonia. Jess ALBERTY was a good man.

The thirteen year old daughter of Mrs. CORNSILK died last Monday night, about three miles from here.

Geo. STOKES and old man WYMAN killed themselves drinking extract of lemon at Westville last Monday. Others are quite sick from the same cause.

March 7, 1902

Mrs. Lizzie WARD, daughter of Mr. Jack ALBERTY, died yesterday of consumption after an illness of long duration. (from Westville Wigwam)

George COON, a grandson of Sequoyah, inventor of the Cherokee alphabet, died at Tahlequah, last week.

Hon. Wiley BOLEN, late a councilor from this district [Flint District], died last week.

John CAMPION, a renter on a farm near here, and a good man, died this week.

Zeke SOAP, son of Hon. Jack SOAP, died at his home in Goingsnake District this week.

March 14, 1902

Mr. CAMPION who died 2 1/2 miles south of Stilwell, was buried at Vineyard.

March 21, 1902

Robert J. JONES was born at Ash Grove, Mo., February 28, 1883; moved to Stilwell with his mother and sisters in 1896 and was a resident of this town until June 1901; was killed in a railroad wreck at Little Maumelle, Ark., February 14, 1902, at the age of 19 years.  It is always sad to give up loved ones--but doubly sad to part with one who had such bright promises in life as Robt. JONES. All knew him here only to admire his manly qualities, tho' yet a boy. He was the idol of a fond mother and loving sisters, whose hearts were almost rent asunder when they heard of his awful death. Robert loved his mother and sisters with a devotion seldom equalled, and was always anxious to do something for them. He will long be remembered by relatives and friends for his splendid qualities of head and heart. The life of a railroad man is not an easy one; dangers ever lurk about their path.

March 28, 1902

In the last ten days, death has claimed three of our country's best men, J.L.W. WILLIAMS and Charles WOODALL of Goingsnake District, and Senator Henry LOWRY of Canadian District. All of these excellent men were subscribers and supporters of The Standard.

April 11, 1902

At her home in Evansville, Ark., Mrs. Lillie SHANNON, the wife of W.A. SHANNON, after a lingering and complicated illness died March 24, 1902.  She leaves a heart-broken husband, and a little son to mourn their loss, besides a multitude of ardent friends who extend to the bereaved ones of the family their most affectionate sympathy, and who feel that they, too, have sustained a great and irreparable loss in the decease of Mrs. SHANNON. The heartfelt thanks of the family are offered to the many faithful friends who so earnestly ministered to the wants of the deceased. A Friend.

Mr. Ned Still brought the body of his wife who died in Tahlequah last week, up here and buried her in the Whitmire graveyard. He informed us that his daughter, who was shot at a dance in Tahlequah by Campbell FINLEY, last week, is not expected to live.

April 18, 1902

Mrs. May SHANNON, wife of Mr. Aleck SHANNON, died - passed from earth to Heaven - last Tuesday evening, at her residence in Stilwell. She had suffered much and patiently - but the disease which carried her off - consumption - is no respector of persons. Mrs. SHANNON was a splendid woman, loved and respected by all who knew her, and The Standard offers condolence to the bereaved husband, kindred and friends. The remains were taken to Evansville for burial Wednesday.

Hon. Mike PRITCHETT, Joe Welch KENNER and Wm. FLUTE, all prominent fullblood Cherokees have died in the last ten days.

May 2, 1902

Mrs. Sallie PEARCE, one of the oldest Cherokee ladies in the Nation, died at her home near Westville, Goingsnake District, last Wednesday.

Mrs. A. PETERMAN, after a lingering illness, died at her home in Stilwell last Sunday. The interment took place at Zion Cemetery, Monday. The many friends of Mr. PETERMAN join in sorrow with him in the loss of his loving and devoted wife.

May 16, 1902

Jack TIGER, a Creek desperado, was shot and killed May 10th by United States deputy marshals near Alabama in the Creek Nation. Two of his companions, Sammie FIXICO and Jesse BEER, escaped after exchanging several shots with the officers, who had surrounded the trio in a small house and awaited daylight to capture them. The men are members of a clan known as the Wewokas, and have been wanted ever since they were indicted over a year ago for killing one of their members.

D.F. CAMPBELL, postmaster at Wilburton and one of the leading citizens of the Choctaw Nation, died suddenly. He was ill only 36 hours. He was a native of Kansas, coming to Wilburton about six years ago from Fort Scott. He was connected with the Wilburton Coal and Mining Company for a number of years.

May 23, 1902

A few days ago it was reported that a U.S. Marshal and posse killed one Jack TIGER during an attempt at capture. Now the report comes that Jack HICKMAN and Belcher SMITH, who constituted a part of the marshal's posse at the time that Jack TIGER was killed, have been found dead near the scene of the first tragedy. It is suspected that some of TIGER's fullblood friends, who believed that TIGER was foully murdered, are guilty of the double crime. The trouble, it is believed, is not yet over, there being two factions allied against each other. Jack TIGER was a Snake sympathizer while HICKMAN and SMITH were progressive Creek citizens. HICKAMAN's enemies made an attempt upon his life in his own house shortly after the killing of TIGER. All three of these murders have been committed recently in the Alabama settlement, about forty miles west of Eufaula. [Eufaula Journal]

May 30, 1902

Mrs. Lizzie A. GARRETT, wife of J.R. GARRETT, died very suddenly of heart disease, at the Male Seminary at Tahlequah last Sunday.

June, 13, 1902

"Uncle Sam" SCHARBLE, age 79 years, died at Tahlequah last week. He came to Tahlequah in 1871, in the good old days and was well known all over the Cherokee Nation.

C.C. SIMMONS, a foreman in the Katy yards at South McAlester, was killed Saturday by a brake pin that flew out of a coupling and struck him in the head. He was standing fully 60 feet from the car when the accident occured.

Mrs. CLEMONS, wife of Mr. CLEMONS, the faithful old mail rider between here and Evansville, died at her home in this place last Tuesday evening. She was a splendid old woman, and The Standard deeply sympathizes with the bereaved husband and other relatives.

At her home in North Tahlequah Wednesday afternoon at 2:30, surrounded by sorrow-stricken husband and children, Mrs. Mary Jane BUFFINGTON WYLY, passed from this life to the realms beyond the grave. The deceased, Mary Jane BUFFINGTON, was born December 1, 1830 at Beatties Prairie, Delaware District, Cherokee Nation. She was the daughter of Joseph BUFFINGTON, a noted Cherokee leader, who was one of the signers of the Cherokee constitution.

June 20, 1902

Charley WILLIAMS, a printer employed on the Muskogee Times, committed suicide last Saturday by taking arsenic.

Mrs. Liza CARSON, after a lingering illness, died at the family residence in Stilwell last Tuesday, the 17th, aged 55 years. She was the wife of J.C. CARSON, the livery man, and the mother of Horace and Miss Hannah CARSON of this place, and Mrs. GREER of Cashion, O.T. Her remains were interred at New Hope Cemetery, Wednesday morning, followed to her last resting place by a large concourse of sorrowing relatives and friends.
A better mother, more devoted wife and a kinder neighbor and friend never lived than Mrs. CARSON. Her duty was in the home and she fulfilled it and her reward will be coming to the Home to which she has gone. In the home she has left and in which her memory will ever be cherished, her taking away is irreparable.

July 18, 1902

Tuesday evening July 8th at 9 o'clock, the immortal spirit of Mrs. Julia FLINN took its flight from its tenement of clay to the portals of bliss in God's bright home. Mrs. FLINN was one of God's noble women, ever ready to help in any way she could those in distress, and many today living in our community recall the kindly service she has rendered in the sick room and in the hour of bereavement. An affectionate and loving wife - a devoted and indulgent mother, a friend as true as steel to her friends, a bright, true and devoted Christian whose life of devotion to the Master's cause, will long be remembered by all who knew her.
She was 54 years old and had the promise (to all appearances) of a long and useful life, until about a year ago the dread disease, consumption, laid its icy grip on her system. But no murmur of discontent passed her patient lips. She suffered a great deal but always said she was ready and prepared to die and if it were God's will she was ready to go. Soon after her conversion she joined the Cumberland Presbyterian church of which she remained a consistent member 'till her death. All that loving hands could do was done to give relief, but to no avail. She leaves a bereaved companion, three daughters and one son to mourn her loss. And they have the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community in their sad bereavement.

August 1, 1902

Mrs. W.H. (Will) WALKER died suddenly at her home near Tahlequah, Sunday, July 20th. She was apparently in good health up to the time of her death, and had eaten a hearty dinner only a few minutes prior. The Standard extends sympathy to the bereaved family.

August 8, 1902

Col. D.M. WISDOM, the grand old Roman, has our thanks for a copy of his Memorial on Red Bird HARRIS, who died not long since. The memorial is a literary gem replete with historical references and legends, and a beautiful tribute to a humble tho' grand character. Red Bird HARRIS had very little Indian blood in his veins - yet he was an Indian in feeling and instinct, and the tribute to his memory by Col. WISDOM was a deserving recognition of the character and life of one of the Cherokee Nation's best and bravest citizens.

Leroy "Buck" STARR, the last of a family of eleven children - six boys and five girls, - died at his home near Stilwell last Tuesday morning, from sunstroke. Uncle Buck, as everybody called him, was in his 79th year. He was an excellent type of the old generation and lived in the old Indian style to the last. Five brothers and five sisters preceded him to the unknown land. His brothers were : Ellis, Cale, Jack, Hickory and Zeke. They were sons of Zeke STARR who died way back in the 40's in Washington D.C., while serving his people as a delegate. Uncle Buck was ready for the summons, for he had lived a harmless life, doing unto others as he would have others do unto him. His remains were buried in the old Hickory Starr burying ground last Wednesday by a large concourse of friends and relatives. Ellis STARR and Mrs. RAILEY, a son and daughter survive him. The Standard extends sympathy to the bereaved.

[Local News] Hon. and Mrs. Ellis STARR of Sallisaw, were up this week attending the bedside of Uncle Buck STARR, Ellis' father. Mrs. Mary RAILEY of Muldrow, a daughter of Uncle Buck STARR was at his bedside when he died.

August 15, 1902

Dr. VANCE, a prominent young physician at Checotah committed suicide at that place Sunday morning at 10 o'clock by blowing his brains out with a revolver. The act was premeditated and death was instantaneous.

August 22, 1902


Ed DOHERTY was killed by lightning near Pryor Creek last week.

September 5, 1902

Otis Joe, infant and only child of Mr. and Mrs. J.L. COX, of this place died last Sunday. Little Otis was the joy of his parents and just as roses bloom and fall, petal at a time, is the way God ordains the human family shall be taken back to Him. Otis, as a leaf, has been wafted into the eternal home in Heaven. A host of friends joins The Standard in offering condolence to the bereaved family.

"Lum" REEVES lost a daughter this week from typhoid fever. Two more of his children are said to be very sick. The many friends of Mr. REEVES and family sympathize with them in their days of distress.


Capt. William Good NELMS died at his home in Vinita, Friday. He entered the Confederate service at the commencement of the Civil War as Captain of a Mississippi Company and served in Virginia until peace was declared. He was wounded many times, and in recent years his wounds became aggravated and finally caused his death. At the close of the war, he went in business at Fort Smith, Ark., where he married Mrs. ASHBROOK a Cherokee, and for the last seventeen years he had lived in Vinita. He wore the gray ever since the war constantly, and the last time he was seen on the streets of Vinita he had on his gray uniform.

Dan COODY shot and killed Joe COODY, his uncle, in Canadian District last week, in self defense. The killing was over a piece of land.

Rev. William ADAMS, a Baptist minister at Alluwee, I.T., died Saturday at St. Joseph's hospital in Kansas City, of kidney trouble. Rev. Mr. ADAMS was of Indian blood, his father having married into the Delaware tribe. He was the father of Richard Horace ADAMS, and was recognized as a Christian gentleman all over this country.

Wm. DREW, brother to Judge John T. DREW, died at Fort Gibson last week.

Last Friday evening, near Bunch, about 14 miles south of this place, Joe Henry CLOUD was shot in the back of the head and killed instantly, by whom, no one seems to know for certain. It seems that Thos. RATTLINGGOURD, who lives on 14-mile Creek, in Tahlequah District, went by Joe CLOUD's house in this district, near Hungry Mountain, in going to Bunch for his load of whiskey and persuaded Joe to go with him after the liquor. When they got to Bunch, the agent could not show up anything for RATTINGGOURD, but there was a box there for Largen CHRISTIE, and he told the agent he would take that and paid the express on it; and handed the box up to Joe CLOUD who was on his horse at the depot, and Joe rode off with the box, but had hardly gotten out of sight when CHRISTIE came up and asked for his box, and the agent told him some fellows had just took it out. CHRISTIE mounted his horse and said he would catch them and take it away from them, and it was not long before a shot was heard in the direction CLOUD, RATTLINGGOURD and CHRISTIE went. That was late in the evening, and the next morning CLOUD was found laying beside the road dead with a bullet hole in the back of his head, and a jug of whiskey standing close by his dead body. His remains were brought to this place and buried in New Hope Cemetery last Saturday evening.
This is a deplorable affair and is greatly regretted by the friends and kindred of Joe and the aged parents, Mr. and Mrs. James CLOUD, who have the sympathy of all our people.

[Correction - Friday, September 12, 1902] It was Henry RATTLINGGOURD and not Thos. RATTLINGGOURD with Joe CLOUD at Bunch when the latter was killed the other day. RATTLINGGOURD and SANDERS, both young, are under arrest, but the supposition is that Largen CHRISTIE did the killing.

September 19, 1902

Mrs. George SCOTT shot and killed herself Thursday afternoon on her husband's farm, about 8 miles from Sallisaw, I.T. She left her home and went into some nearby timber, where she shot herself. She was only 22 years of age. Her father is S.F. BEARD a farmer.

Jim CAPPS, was shot and instantly killed by Love SIMPSON, five miles south of Vian, in the latter's yard last night about ten o'clock. According to reports both had been drinking, but what started the row we failed to ascertain. The shot was from a shot gun loaded with buckshot, the full load taking effect in the right breast, killing CAPPS instantly. After the shooting, SIMPSON went to bed and soon asleep. The officers here were notified, and went to the scene of the killing and arrested SIMPSON and took him to Sallisaw for a hearing before the commissioner. CAPPS was well known here. Both men are white. [Vian Sentinel]

Miss Golden SCOTT, aged 13 years and 7 months who with her parents lived next door to The Standard office, died last Monday evening of typhoid fever. For five long weeks Miss Golden grappled bravely with the grim monster, death, but had to succumb. Her gentle spirit has winged its flight back to her Maker, and no doubt Golden's spirit is today singing His praises in Heaven. She was a loving and lovable daughter and her acquaintances all recognized her sweet and charitable disposition. The Standard extends condolence to the heart-broken family, especially to that mother who has kept vigil day and night at Golden's bedside. May our Great Father sustain and comfort this family in their great distress. The remains were laid to rest in New Hope Cemetery Tuesday evening.

John and George WHITSON and Willie ADAIR are in jail at Muskogee for killing "Bud" DAVIS at the latter's farm near Checotah. There had been trouble between them and when the three men passed DAVIS' place he opened fire.

Friday, September 26, 1902

Mrs. Annie ROSS, probably the oldest person living in Sequoyah District died at the home of her grandson, Sam JOHNSON living 5 miles north of town, at 9 o'clock Saturday evening at the age of 92 years. The cause of her death was old age and general infirmities, as she had been an invalid for 9 years, although she retained a remarkable memory to the last. She was born in Mississippi, came west with the early Cherokee immigrants, and had resided in the Cherokee Nation for nearly three quarters of a century. She was the mother of the late Dave ROSS and leaves a number of descendants. -- Sallisaw Star

Rev. Thomas A. SANSON, 78 years old, is dead at Muscogee. He was one of the oldest citizens of Muscogee and in early days had charge of the Presbyterian mission, now Henry Kendall college, when it was the only mission under the supervision of the church in the southwest. He was the father of Judge SANSON, master in chancery for the Western Judicial District of the Indian Territory.

Two years ago N.B. SLOAN, a wealthy cattleman, disappeared from his home, 13 miles southwest of South McAlester, and all track of him was lost. He provided liberally for his family and no reason for his going could be ascertained. SLOAN was a Knights Templar and Saturday the Knights Templar lodge of South McAlester received official notice of SLOAN's death in Dallas, Texas.

Friday, October 3, 1902

Miss Ruth RIDER died of typhoid fever at Sallisaw last Wednesday. She was visiting relatives at that place and her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Tom RIDER, knew nothing of her illness until the sad message came that she was dead. For some reason the letters that had been sent informing them of their daughter's illness had not been received. Thursday morning Mr. RIDER went to Sallisaw and brought the body home, where it was interred Friday in the Oak Grove Cemetery, Rev. J.L. BROWN conducting the ceremonies. It was a sad, sad death, for Miss Ruth was young, beautiful and loved by a large circle of relatives and friends. The sympathy of our people goes out to the family in their sad loss.

Friday, October 20, 1904

The infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Al PETTY died Tuesday of Catarrhal fever and was buried yesterday in New Hope Cemetery. We extend sympathy to the bereaved.

Friday, October 27, 1904

Harry CARNEGIE, a young man about 22 years of age, died last Friday evening of Congestion from which he suffered only a few minutes, at the Stilwell Hotel. He came in the day before from the south. He stated that he had been working at Ft. Smith and was full of malaria and was on his way to the hospital. How he got here and why he stopped here no one knows. He complained of feeling badly and Mr. MAYS gave him a quilt and he laid in the sample room. After some hours he went to the lunch counter and called for a bowl of milk, and drank it. In a very few minutes congestion set up and soon he was dead. Dr. WILLIAMS was hastily summoned but could do nothing for him. After he was stricken he told Albert BRACY his name and home. The Mayor and Chief of Police of Portage, Wisconsin, were wired, who wired to embalm his body and ship it to them. Undertaker CROCKER had his body shipped Saturday night. Only $1.75 were on his person. He had an intelligent face. He was as well cared for as could have been in a strange place. In a letter to Mayor ALKIRE from relatives at Portage, they stated that his widowed mother was living and that he was the only child. It will be hard on his mother to have him brought home dead, yet she can have some consolation in the fact that she can know where and how he died and he can be buried in the family lot.

Jack DOWNING has been sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of WOLF. They both belonged to the fullblood organization of "Nighthawks" and were pledged not to accept allotment. WOLF was begging to file and as he walked out of the Land Office, DOWNING shot him down, and surrendered to the marshal, saying that he only carried out the secret oaths of his organization. Since then the organization has accepted allotment.

Friday, November 3, 1904

Jess REDBIRD, an aged and a highly respected full-blood living a short ways out of town, died last Thursday night. He had not been sick many days, and probably old age had much to cause his death, as he was about 75 years old. We extend sympathy to bereft relatives and friends. He was an ex-Union soldier, and he was buried Saturday by the G.A.R.organization.

Friday, November 17, 1904

Mrs. Jason FINCH went to her old home at Hume, Missouri, Saturday night to attend the funeral of Miss Mary PETTY which was held Sunday. They were raised together and had been friends all of their life. She was a sister of former Agent PETTY of this place.

Friday, December 1, 1904

George W. LEWIS died last Wednesday of pneumonia at the home of his niece, Mrs. T.F. BARKER. He was buried Thursday afternoon at New Hope Cemetery. His relatives have the sympathy of everybody.

Friday, December 15, 1904

In a news item from Evansville we are informed that the small son, Matt, of Mr. and Mrs. S.M. PERSHALL was taken early Sunday morning with hemorrage of the stomach and he died at 3:30 Monday morning and was buried at the McClure graveyard Tuesday at 11 o'clock. We extend sympathy to the bereaved.

February 2, 1905


Charley SANDERS, who has been at Hot Springs for the benefit of his health, died there last Friday morning. His remains were shipped to Melvin, where he was buried by the side of his wife. Some years ago he was settling a difficulty as a peacemaker when a stray shot struck him, glancing his spine, and at time he was partially paralyzed since then.
He was a quiet inoffensive man, possessing noble and manly qualities, was an industrious, prosperous business man, and his demise is regretted by all who knew him.
The Standard extends sympathy to the bereaved friends and relatives of the deceased.

What seems to have been a most foul and fiendish murder was committed near the Lyons switch, a few miles below Stilwell, last Wednesday night while the thermometer was knocking the black out of zero. There had been a fire built near the railroad tracks, and from indications the fellow had gone to sleep and was shot while lying down. He was shot in the head, the ball ranging downward and passed out of the body on the jaw, but again entered on front of shoulder. There was no evidence of a struggle anywhere to be seen. Everything showed his pockets had been gone thru. Not a thing was found on his person to tell who he was or where he was from. In fact, nothing but mystery surrounds the murder, and the potter's field receives the body of the unknown man, and the mystery will remain until someone on his deathbed clears it away by confession.

Miss Callie DOUGHERTY who lived in the southwest part of town, died Friday morning of pneumonia, from which she had suffered much for several days. She was 13 years old. She gave birth to a child about three weeks ago and had never recovered til she contracted pneumonia.

February 9, 1905

John CHILDERS Jr., who has been bad sick for sometime, died at 12 o'clock Monday night. John was buried last Tuesday evening in the Lewis Cemetery. Rev. Polk CROZIER will preach his funeral at Evansville the 3rd Sunday in February.

Mrs. Lula DUNN, wife of Mr. DUNN, died Tuesday morning at 10 o'clock. Rev. Polk CROZIER preached Mrs. DUNN's funeral at Evansville church last Wednesday. She was laid to rest in the Academy Cemetery.

February 16, 1905

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Arthur SHANNON a little girl. She lived 2 hours and died and was buried last Thursday in the Lewis Cemetery.

Frank CARSON died Monday night of fever from which he had suffered a long time. He was thought to be better and his mother went to his bed and he was dead. He was buried Tuesday by the charity of the town.

February 23, 1905

After an illness of a few days, Mrs. BOONE passed away, at 2:30 o'clock Thursday morning, February 16, 1905, aged 78 years. Mrs. BOONE was born in Flinthill, Virginia, February 15, 1827 and when 20 years of age moved with her mother to Lincoln County, Mo. She was married to Col. BOONE of Paynesville, Mo., September 16, 1858. No children blessed this union. Mrs. BOONE and her husband adopted a niece and nephew of the former Mr. James WATERS of Denver, Colorado, and Mrs. Allie CLAYTON of Stilwell with whom she has made her home for the last five years, having come to Stilwell for her health.(i.e.)
The deceased was a member of the Baptist Church, having united with the Hannibal church in 1855. She was a good neighbor, loving mother and true wife. Not being a very strong woman physically, when she was taken with a severe case of lagrippe, after a few days struggle she fell a victim to the disease. Her loving and devoted husband was her constant companion in her last hours, and she died as she had wished with him by her side.
The funeral services were held in the residence of Mrs. CLAYTON, conducted by Rev. HIVELY and her remains were laid away by kind and loving hand in the New Hope graveyard, to await the resurrection morn.
Card of Thanks - We desire through the columns of The Standard to express our gratitude to the very kind friends for their sympathy and many acts of kindness during the illness and death of our loved wife and aunt. Colonel BOONE, Mrs. Allie CLAYTON, Mrs. Ora LOW, Miss Allie WATERS.

Miss Hannah CARSON died last Sunday night at 10:30 o'clock, after a long illness from that dreaded disease, consumption. She was a model young woman, and to know her was to admire her and to be her friends, for she possessed many womanly qualities. She leaves a father, brother and several sisters who mourn the loss of a kind, good daughter and sister. Everything possible by medical aid and loving hands was done to save her, but to no avail.
She was buried Monday afternoon in New Hope Cemetery by the side of her mother, to sleep the sleep of the righteous.
The Standard deeply sympathizes with the bereaved in their great loss.

March 30, 1905

Resolution of Respect
Whereas in view of the loss we have sustained by the death of our friend and brother Mark BEAN, who departed this life on March 0, 1905 and of the still heavier loss sustained by those who were nearer and dearer to him, Therefore be it resolved, that in regretting his removal from our midst, we mourn for one who was in every way a true "Anti" and worthy of our respect; Resolved, That we sincerely condole with the family of the deceased in the dispensation of Divine providence to afflict them and commend them for consolation to Him who doeth all things best and whom chastisements are meant in mercy; Resolved, That this heartfelt testimonial of our sympathy and sorrow be forwarded to the family of our departed Brother by Oak Grove Lodge No. 2, A.H.T.A., and a copy be sent the Weekly News and a copy be sent the Stilwell Standard for publication and a copy be spread on the minutes of this lodge; Be it Further Resolved, That the A.H.T.A. Hall be draped in mourning for thirty days.

April 6, 1905

Hiram THOMAS, an old man who lives near the Honey Hill school house, committed suicide last Thursday about 11 o'clock, by shooting himself in the forehead with a rifle. His wife had gone over to a neighbor's house and when she returned he was lying on the floor, in his sock feet, in a great pool of his own blood, yet warm, his hand still clutching the gun that did the deed. No excuse is assigned for the rash act. At times he has been deranged for several years. Some months ago he was married to a woman over in the state, and they have been living happily together.

April 20, 1905

Mrs. Susie SCOTT, aged 97 and probably the oldest full-blood Cherokee, died near Marble City last week. She was an emigrant from the old country.

May 18, 1905

Hiram CRONK died at age of 105 on the 13. He was the sole survivor of the War of 1812, having entered the army at the age of 14 years.

August 10, 1905

Resolutions of Respect Flint Lodge, No. 11, F. & A.M., Stilwell, I.T., August 7, 1905 Whereas, It has pleased Almighty God to call from the cures of earth to his eternal reward out Brother, John W. JOHNSON; Therefore be it resolved. That we mourn his departure from among us and cherish his memory, submitting patiently to the will of the all-wise Father who careth for us; and be it further resolved. That we: extend to his widow and fatherless children our earnest sympathies and commend them to the mercies of Him alone who can comfort the, and that these resolutions be made a part of the minutes of the lodge, a copy furnished the Stilwell Standard for publication and a copy be transmitted to his family. A.T. PADEN, G.A. ALKIRE, Joe M. LYNCH, Recorder

August 17, 1905

[Evansville & Vicinity News]
Andy COX died at 11 o'clock Monday night after a long illness. He was an honest, upright, Christian citizen and was highly respected by all his acquaintences. He was buried Tuesday.

[Local News]
J.L. COX attended the burial of his father, Andy COX, near Evansville, Tuesday. He had been paralysed many months, and his death was expected. He was a very excellent citizen, a splendid neighbor, a kind husband, a noble father, a devoted humble Christian. The Standard extends its heartfelt sympathy to the bereaved relatives and friends.

September 28, 1905

Jim SANDERS' little girl died Tuesday. She had been puny for a week, but took ill very suddenly Monday night and died before morning.

The little child of Mr. and Mrs. Frank JONES died Friday morning after a few days sickness. It was laid to rest in New Hope Cemetery. Sympathy is extended to its bereaved parents.

Mr. and Mrs. George RIDER had the misfortune to lose their year old child last week. They buried it in their family burying ground. We extend sympathy to the bereaved parents and relatives.

The seven month old boy of Dr. and Mrs. J.J. OWNBY died Friday morning of dysentery and whooping cough from which it had suffered for several days. It was buried in New Hope Cemetery Friday afternoon. The Standard extends sympathy to bereaved relatives and friends of the little one.

October 12, 1905

All our people were surprised to learn of the very sudden and unexpected demise of Col. E.E. STARR which occured at his home in Tahlequah on the morning of October 6th.
He was Cherokee by blood, born in Texas, August 11, 1849. He came here soon after the civil war with his father, and settled near Flint, where he engaged in merchandising and farming. He was successful and had accumulated quite a fortune.
He stood high in the councils of the Cherokee Nation, being Treasurer during the payment of the strip money of $6,000,000.00, discharging his duty so efficiently that not even any suspicion of wrong-doing was ever breathed against him. He was Senator from Flint district one term.
Twelve years ago he moved to Tahlequah and has since made his home there. He leaves a wife and seven children to mourn his loss. Col. STARR was a member of the M.E. Church, South and Royal Arch Mason. He was buried in Tahlequah Cemetery. From what we knew of him, a good man, devoted husband and affectionate father has finished his course, passed out and on to his eternal reward.

The two year old child of Mr. and Mrs. Andy FIELDS died yesterday after an illness of several days. Their many friends sympathize with them in their sad bereavement.

October 26, 1905

Notice was made last week of the killing of Jack WOLF by his half brother(s), Lincoln and James WOLF. They have both been arrested and carried to Tahlequah, where they had a preliminary hearing before Commissioner KEENAN.

November 2, 1905

One of the saddest deaths for a long while occured here, when Isaac F. HUMPHREY who, while visiting his daughter, Mrs. W.P. FAY of Stilwell, died suddenly of heart failure. He was born in Rexford County, Ireland, February 16, 1833, and died 12:30 a.m. Monday morning, October 30, 1905. At the time of his death he was 72 years, 8 months and 14 days old. He came to American when 18 years old and settled at Litchfield, Illinois, where he followed the cooperage trade until 1860 when he was untied to Miss Milbra WHITE. To this union were born 6 children: William, dieing (i.e.) in infancy; George and Alice L. ROGERS living in Merkel, Texas; Jessie MCNAMARA living in St. Joseph, Mo.; Bertha FAY living here and Lucy dieing at the age of 18. In 1866 he removed to Barton County, Mo., where he followed farming until his affliction, asthma, compelled him to give up an active life, since which time he has made his home with his son and daughter of Merkel, Texas.
He united with the Baptist Church in Litchfield, Ohio, in 1851, and has tried to life up to their teachings as he understood them. He has gone to join his wife who died February 3, 1876.
His funeral service was conducted at the Baptist Church, Wednesday afternoon, at 2 o'clock, by Rev. C.M. POWELL, after which his body was placed in the New Hope Cemetery to await the resurrection morn.
The Standard joins a host of friends in extending sympathy to the bereaved children, and especially to Mrs. W.P. FAY whom we all know.
Card of Thanks - We desire to thank the friends and neighbors who so cheerfully tendered us their help, time, service and flowers during our sickness and the death of our father, and also to friends from Round House who took time from their rest and labor to assist us.
Respectfully, Mr. and Mrs. W.P. FAY and Mr. and Mrs. H.L. ROGERS

November 23, 1905

The 11 month old child of Mr. and Mrs. John WRAY died yesterday morning of membranous croup. It was sick only a day or so. It was buried in New Hope Cemetery. We extend sympathy to the grief-stricken parents.

The 9 month old baby of Mr. and Mrs. Tom LEAK died Friday afternoon of Membranous croup from which it had been sick only a few hours. It was buried in New Hope Cemetery Saturday. The bereaved parents have the sympathy of a large circle of friends in this their hour of deepest grief. This is the third child they have laid to rest in New Hope Cemetery.

November 30, 1905

The 14 month old son of Mr. and Mrs. Bill REED died Sunday night at 120 o'clock after several days suffering from dysentery. The funeral was held at the home Monday afternoon at 3 o'clock by Rev. C.M. POWELL. The burial was in New Hope Cemetery. We extend sympathy to the sorrowing ones.

December 28, 1905

Mabel, the one year old baby girl of Mr. and Mrs. B.C. KINCAID passed into rest Sunday morning about 9 o'clock. It had whooping cough in its severest form, which with other complications, was more than its frail situation could stand. It was the idol of its parents - the only girl in the home - the joy of its brothers and the pet of the relatives. Rev. Geo. B. JACKSON, their pastor, conducted the funeral services from the family home Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock, after which it was laid to rest in New Hope Cemetery by loving hands. We extend sympathy to the bereaved family, relatives and friends.

Created by
Sharon Burnett-Crawford
Site Hosted by Rootsweb
Copyright 1996 - 2019 OKGenWeb Coordinator