Pucell Register
|County Index| OKSpecial|YourTidbits| OutOfState |Clippings|OKDeaths| | OKBits
E Mail

Last Updated 

An OKGenWeb Project
If you have information posted on this site

Okbits FilePurcell Register, McClain Co.

February 26, 1892

From Tahlequah, I. T., Feb 19.
James BOWEN, a prosperous farmer living about three miles south of here, met with a horrible death late yesterday evening by lightning. He was returning from this place with a wagon load of farm implements, and just before reaching home was overtaken by a thunder storm. As he was passing a neighbor's house a stroke of lightning, probably attracted by the steel plows and other implements in the wagon, killed both himself and the team. So terrible was the electrical stroke that the unfortunate man was thrown several feet out of the wagon and his clothing torn to shreds and set on fire and his shoes torn from his feet. The horses fell dead in their tracks and the wagon was torn to pieces. The work of the lightning was witnessed by the family of the neighbor, Mr. WALLACE, whose house stood but a few yards away. Mr. WALLACE ran out to extinguish the fragments of clothing on the body and found him black in the face and horribly scratched and mutilated. BOWEN was 35 years old and leaves a wife and four children.
This interesting article sent in by Susan Bradford Susan's Family History & SW Okla. Arapahoe ARROW 1892 newspaper Okla. Terr.

January 11, 1895

Duel To The Death
On Wednesday evening about fifteen miles south of Purcell near John SWAIN'S farm, SWAIN and his father-in-law, Mr. RYAN were passing along the highway on horse back, when they met Garl VINCENT and his son Charlie. who were in a wagon.
There had been bad blood between the parties for some time, Charles VINCENT having brought a lease for a place near SWAIN'S which was also claimed by some negroes. The negroes at one time put VINCENT's goods from the house and took forcible possession. When arrested for this SWAIN went on the bond of the negroes and during the course of the trial he and the VINCENT'S got into a quarrel, which has since been kept up until it grew into a bitter feud. The testimony of all the eye witnesses to the affair is substantially the same.
As John SWAIN passed the wagon of the VINCENT's he remarked to them that they might as well file the sights from their Winchesters, as they were too cowardly to use them. He is also said to have used other abusive language. Garl VINCENT told him to go on and let them alone, as he wanted no trouble with him. SWAIN continues his remarks and the VINCENTS got out of their wagon. SWAIN used an insulting name in connection with the Vincents and Garl told him he must not call him that. Swain then turned his horse and started towards the VINCENTS with his hand on his pistol to draw it. As he neared him Garl VINCENT fired his Winchester and the bullet entered the right side of SWAIN'S stomach, passing out at the back and severing the spinal cord. SWAIN'S horse reared and he fell, his foot hanging in the stirrup and he being dragged for some distance. Garl VINCENT at this time got a shell caught in his Winchester so that it would not work. SWAIN, as soon as released from the stirrup, got up on his hands and knees, with his pistol in his hand. VINCENT clubbed his gun, rushed in and attempted to knock the pistol from SWAIN'S hands, but missed, Swain rose to his knees placed the pistol against VINCENT'S breast and fired. VINCENT fell dead, the bullet passing through his body and breaking the backbone. SWAIN then shot at Charlie who returned the shot, each missing. SWAIN fired the second shot at Charlie, also missing, and Charlie fired the second time, his shot entering SWAIN'S left breast just above the heart. SWAIN then fell and died almost instantly.
VINCENT's remains were taken to the home of Charlie VINCENT and prepared for interment. On Thursday they were taken to Elsiemond, a church on Rev. HOLSENBAKE's place, south of Lexington, where they were interred. The services were conducted by Rev. HOLSENBAKE and Rev. L. OLMSTEAD.
The funeral was very largely attended. Garl VINCENT was well known in this community, having resided here since 1875.
He was raised on Chariton Co. Missouri, served in the confederate army during the entire war in Joe Shelby's brigade. After the war he went to Texas, from which state he came here.
He leaves a wife and six children in reduced circumstances, though at one time he was quite wealthy. VINCENT was a warm and intimate friend of the Rev. L.D. HOLSENBAKE, who gave us many particulars of the dead man's life, and who can yet only speak of the dead with faltering voice and tear dimmed eyes. The tie between them was that-Strongest of all- which comes of the comradeship of soldier life. Men who have marched shoulder to shoulder, who have slept beneath the same blanket, perchance have shared with each other their last crust, develop a love stronger than any ties of kinship. An now, as these old heroes are passing away, what wonder that the survivors, as they look their last upon the faces of their loved dead comrades, find their eyes filling with tears, their voices choking with emotion.
SWAIN's body was brought to town and prepared at HOUGHTON's undertaking establishment for burial after which it was removed to the residence of Deputy Marshal Matt COOK. The funeral took place from the Baptist church at 10 o'clock Friday morning, services conducted by Rev.W.H. NICHOLS, of Oklahoma City. A large crowd was in attendance and followed the remains to their last resting place in the cemetery west of town.
John SWAIN was born in Missouri, went from there to Tennessee from which state he came to the territory. He was thirty three years, two months and twenty eight days of age at the time of his death. For eight years he was connected with the force of marshals in the territory, having only about two weeks ago surrendered his commission. During his term of service as deputy marshal he participated in many dangerous conflicts, bearing himself at all times with courage and proving himself a man of indomitable nerve-a character fully sustained by the desperate fight he made in his dying moments.
He had been twice married, his first wife having been of Chickasaw blood, which gave him the right of an inter- married citizen in this country. He took quite an active interest in matters relating to this class of citizens, serving most acceptably as chairman of their meeting held here last summer. Mr. SWAIN'S marriage to his second wife, the charming lady who in widowed sorrow mourns her loss, was one of those events that read like a page from an old romance.
When the HUDGINS gang robbed CAREY's store out at Fred and killed poor Will CAREY, a small gold watch was taken from the dead man by the robbers. This watch was the property of Mrs. SWAIN, then Miss RYAN. SWAIN pursued and captured the gang, after adventures that would almost file a volume and found the watch on the person of the leader, Bill HUDGINS.
Returning it in person to the young lady, he was attracted by her winning personality, an acquaintance was formed that soon ripened into mutual love and the two were united, leading since that time a life of happiness, shadowed only by the young wife's dread of the danger that constantly menaced her husband in his official position.
Charlie VINCENT is about twenty two years of age and is an inter-married Chickasaw citizen. He surrendered to the authorities immediately after the shooting and has been under guard ever since. He has a preliminary examination before Commissioner GATER here Saturday.

March 22, 1901

Uncle Tommy Glennon Dead
Mr. Thomas GLENNON, an aged gentleman who had long made his home in this vicinity, died last Saturday, on the SHANNON farm, of stomach troubles, having been in bad health for some time. "Uncle Tommy" was widely known throughout this country and universally esteemed. Of genial, kindly disposition, with ever a pleasant word for all he met, he had many friends, as was testified at the funeral, which took place from the Catholic Church in this city on Sunday; the interment following at Hillside Cemetery. He leaves a large family to mourn his loss.
Anna Marie (Glennan) Wilson [email protected]

November 3, 1910

Conway, Okla., Oct. 24 --- Yandy C. WEalker died at his home near Old Stonewall last night,aged 71 years. The deceased was one of the oldest settlers of this part of the country, having settled here before the civil war. He was chairman of the Chickasaw commission which was acting in conjunction with the Dawes commission in making up the Chickasaw roll of citizinship.
"Uncle Tandy" as he was called, will be missed, and lamented by a large number of friends and a vast number of relatives.
The remains will be laid to rest in the Old Stonewall cemetery. --- Ardomerite
Gene Brewington  [email protected]

September 24, 1914

Mrs. Henry DUMAS died at her home on Jefferson Street on Saturday night after a long illness with paralysis. The funeral took place Sunday afternoon, conducted by Rev. Father Von Wees, the lady having been a life long and consistent member of the Catholic Church, the body being interred at Hillside Cemetery.
Mrs. Dumas was over seventy years of age and had been a widow for several years, making her home with her daughter, Miss Melvina.
She leaves in addition to the daughter, several sons who are among the best citizens, these being Messrs. Joe, Adolphus, Frank, Elmer and Homer Dumas.
Submitted by  Karen Mazzola [email protected]

Thursday, March 7, 1912

Mr. Henry DUMUS, an aged citizen of this place, who had long been a sufferer from cancer of the stomach, died on Friday night, March 1st, the funeral taking place Monday, conducted by Rev. Father Wilwerding, deceased having been a devout Roman Catholic.
Mr. Dumas was about seventy-six years of age, and had been for many years a resident of this section. An aged wife who is in very feeble health survives him, together with seven children, six boys and one girl.
Submitted by  Karen Mazzola [email protected]

April 7, 1927

Woody Chapel News
Mr. and Mrs. Omer LOCKMILLER and daughter, Geraldine, and Mr. E.L. LUKER and family were the Sunday guests of Mr. Orville VAUGHN and family.

Louis and Lindsay MAYNARD spent the week end with their parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.B. MAYNARD.

Mrs. Alfred HODGE and children are visiting her aunt, Mrs. BUCHANAN and children.

Mrs. V. PAYNE is ill at the present writing.

Byars News
Mr. and Mrs. W.P. BLEVINS left last Sunday  for New Mexico to see about buying cattle.

Vernon MITCHELL who has been ill for the past ten days with pneumonia is clear of fever and gettin along nicely.

The Eastern Star met Monday evenng eith about twenty five members present. Three candidates, Mrs. C.R. BURNETT, Mrs. L.K. MASSEY and Mrs. Viola  PEAY were given the degrees.

Mrs. Jim BROWNING went to Pauls Valley last Friday and came back drivinga  new Dodge Brothers sedan.

Mr. and Mrs. E.H. MORRIS are the proud parents of a find boy born on Saturday, April 2nd.

Mr. and Mrs. Jobe TOWNSEND were in Byars Monday, visiting in the home of Mr. and Mrs. C.R. BURNETT.

Mr. and Mrs. Raymond BURNETT of Oklahoma City were in Byars last week end with their parents. (Raymond Burnett's parents were Charles R. Burnett and Harriet Townsend Burnett. Harriet wrote the Byars News.)

Fox News
Miss Jewell HUGHES has as her guest this week, Mrs. Elfie PRITCHETT of Johnson community. Miss PRITCHETT lived here last year and her many friends among the younger set will greatly enjoy her visit.

Mr. and Mrs. D.L. MASTERSON and daughter drove to Chickasha Sunday makeing calls in route at the following homes: Mrs. Leona MASTERSON, Mrs. T.N. GIBSON, Mrs. Henrietta MASTERSON and Mr. and Mrs. W.C. REYNOLDS, who lived near Chickasha.

Garland and Wanuta GOSNELL spent Saturday night with their aunt, Mrs. Charles HANGER.

Saturday shoppers in Purcell from this district included Mr. and Mrs. E.N MASTERSON, Mr. and Mrs. T.N. GIBSON, Mrs. MASTERSON, Helen MASTERSON and Fahn PARMER, Mr. and Mrs. Jett SHOBERT and Mr. GOSNELL.

Earl PIERCE and William MORRIS of Stratford, returning from a long motor trip through Texas and Arizona came by for a visit with Mr. MORRIS'S brother, Glynn MORRIS, last Friday.

Mr. Clifford MITCHELL of Ft. Worth came in Saturday night for a visit with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Roy MITCHELL.

At the school meeting here last Tuesday, Mr. PLASTER was re-elected to his place on the board. It was voted to buy a farm level and it is already on the way here. Mr. Tom MORRIS asks that all the Fox farmers who want terracing lines run, please call on him and he will be glad to come out and help.

Pleasant Valley News
Miss Lela DAVIS spent the week end with her parents near Noble.

Miss Consolo PULLIAM spent the week end in Oklahoma City with her sisters.

Mr. J.W. HALE and family have moved to the THOMPSON farm recently vacated by Mr. J.W. ELLIOTT.

May 1, 1927

Day Unknown
Mrs. Mary E. POWELL died on Tuesday
Mrs. POWELL of near Scoby school house, wife of Samuel POWELL, died at the age of ?68 years, 10 months, and 11 days.

Card Of Thanks for the many kind expressions of sympathy shown us in our saddest hour and for the beautiful floral offerings, we wish to express our heartfelt thanks. Your thoughtfulness is a great comfort to us in this hour of sorrow. - Mr. and Mrs. Guy CASSITY, Mrs. H.A. CASSITY, Mr. George CLEMENT.

Day Unknown
Miss Thelma ALFORD died Monday, April 25
Miss Thelma died in Oklahoma City hospital following an operation for gall stones. Miss ALFORD was apparently well Friday but took sick Saturday and it was determined to take her to Oklahoma City for an operation. She went through the operation but died soon afterward.
The remains were brought to Purcell by Mr. B.H. RACKLEY and prepared for burial. Funeral services were held Wednesday morning at 10:00 o'clock at the Christian church and were conducted by Rev. F.M. WARREN of Norman and Rev. W. R. GEORGE of Wayne. A large crowd of friends and acquaintances attended the services paying their last respects to their friend.
Miss Ruby Thelma ALFORD was born September 18, 1904, in Murfreesboro, Arkansas, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R.N. ALFORD. She made her home in Murfeesboro until 1917 when her parents moved to Purcell to make their home here. She has made her home in Purcell since that time.
Miss ALFORD attended high school here and graduated May 11, 1924, and was one of the outstanding students of her class. Since graduating from high school she has been employed in the office of the county treasurer and in the office of the Guaranty Abstract company. At the time of her death she was working for the abstract company.
Miss ALFORD was a member of the Christian church at Purcell and took great interest in the work especially the work of the Christian Endeavor in which organization she was one of the leader. She was baptized and joined the church when she was twelve years old. During her years in high school here and the few years since, she made many friends in Purcell. Her disposition was gentle and kind and she always had a pleasant word for everyone. She will be greatly missed by her many friends.
She leaves her parents, Mr. and Mrs. R.M. ALFORD and three brothers besides other relatives and numerous friends to mourn her loss. The register extends its sympathy to the bereaved relatives.

Homer COFFMAN and family from Arkansas City were in Byars for a few days, last week.

July 1, 1927

Date of Article Unknown
Charles KUTTER Buried Tuesday morning.
Mr. KUTTER who died at Lindsay was brought to Purcell by the undertaker at Lindsay and turned to Mr. B. H. Rackley for burial. Services were held at the Lexington Catholic Church conducted by Rev. Father Williams and Rev. Father Blaise. Interment was made in the the Lexington Catholic cemetery.
Mr KUTTER was 63 years, 6 months, 3 days old and was born in Fredickstaten, Germany. For many years he lived in Lexington and was a former partner of the late Leopoid ILLE in the liquor business in that town before statehood. Mr. KUTTER had many friends in Purcell who regret to hear of his death.

Date of Article Unknown
Byars News
Mr. and Mrs. J.A. HARRIS and daughter, Rachel, from McAllen, Texas, were guests last week end in the home of Mr. and Mrs. S.C. NEWBORN and family.

Mrs. Fred RAKESTRAW and two children, R.J. Jr. and Leta Marie, who have been visiting Mrs. RAKESTRAW'S parents in Stratford, were in Byars during the picnic as guests of Mr. and Mrs. Perry RAKESTRAW.

Mr. and Mrs. Perry BURNETT and son came in last week from California where they have made their home for the past year. They will stay in Oklahoma for some time.

Date Unknown
Byars News
Mrs. Raymond BURNETT returned to Oklahoma City after a few weeks with her mother in Byar.

Mrs. Willie JOHNSTON and sons Monty and Carl returned home last week end from Coats, Kansas, where they have been visiting relatives for some time.

Judge and Mrs ?.W. LOKEY, left with their son, Elmer LOKEY last Friday for Colorado, where they will visit in the home of the latter for several weeks.

A number of families took dinner to Suphur last Sunday in honor of out of town guests, Mr. and Mrs. J.A. HARRIS and daughter, Rachel and Mr. and Mrs. Otto BROWN and son. and Mrs. F.A. GROENENDYKE  and son. The following families went: Mr. and Mrs. Roy CLARK and children and Mrs. Miriam JOHNSON, Mrs. F.A. SMITH, Mrs. S.R. FISHER, Mr. and Mrs. E.R. HARRISON and baby, Mrs. Ben HARRISON,  Mr. and Mrs. S.C. NEWBORN, and children, Mrs. and Mrs. Z.J. MASSEY, Mrs. Mrs. Arthur SMALL and children.

Date Unknown
Byars News
Mrs. C.R. BURNETT visited her mother last week end in Asher, and found her feeling better than usual.

Misses Wilma KEITH and Norma SMITH left last week for New York to attend summer school.

Mr. and Mrs. Hugh SALTER, announce the arrival of a fine baby girl born June 27th.

July 21, 1927

Byars News
Otis and Theda JOHNSTON drove to Oklahoma City one day last week to see their mother who has been there for some time under treatment of a specialist.

Mr. and Mrs. J.W. JOHNSON and daughter form Chicago and Mrs. E.R. ?LANCASTER were guest in the Roy CLARK'S home last week.

Mrs. Laura BARTLETT is visiting in the home of her brother, Mr. J.A. DAWSON this week.

Mr. and Mrs. Joe POOLE from Wewoka spent last week end in the Z.J. JOLLY home. Mr. POOLE is a brother to Mrs. JOLLY.

Mr. and Mrs. C.R. BURNETT and children attended the funeral of Mr. BURNETT'S father, John J. BURNETT, who died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. N.B. JOHNSTON in Oklahoma City, Friday, July 15th, in his 85th year.
The deceased was a native of Kentucky, but came to Oklahoma 43 years of ago and he and his wife made their home since. Eight children were born to them, C.R. BURNETT, of Byars; Walter BURNETT, of Washington; Bud BURNETT, of  Oklahoma City; Mrs. N.B. JOHNSTON, of Oklahoma City; Mrs. Julia TOWNSEND, of Stonewall; Mrs. Grace DURHAM, of McLean, Texas and Mrs. Jobe TOWNSEND who died two years previous.
A beautiful array of flowers was banked upon the grave as a silent token of the esteem in which he was held. B.H. RACKLEY of Purcell had charge of the funeral and services were conducted by Rev. BELL of Oklahoma City.
Paul and Raymond BURNETT, Robert TOWNSEND, and Ludie JOHNSTON, acted as pallbearers.
Research by OKbits host, Sharon Burnett Crawford

Byars News
Mr. and Mrs. S.C. JONES and children spent last week end in Elmore with Mr. JONES's parents.

Mr. and Mrs. Floyd EDGMON and family and Mr. and Mrs. Arthur EDGMON and family were dinner guests of their mother, Mrs. Evelyn EDGMON last Sunday.

Quite a number of Byars folk spent the day in Sulphur last Sunday, who were: Mr. and Mrs. E.R. HARRISON and daughter, Edwina Mr. and Mrs. Roy CLARK and boys Mr. and Mrs. J.W. JOHNSON and daughter of Chiesgo?, guest of Mr. and Mrs. CLARK. Mrs. Roy BYARS and son , Roy Jr., and Rudolph TUCKER. They were joined there by Mr. and Mrs. Boyce MENDENHALL of Purcell.

Mr. and Mrs. J.D. HERNDON and daughter, Mildred from Asher, were guests of Mr. and Mrs. E.H. MORRIS last Sunday.

Mr. and Mrs. Dempsey BROWN of Blanchard, Gladys WILSON of western Oklahoma spent Sunday with relatives and friends here.

Mr. and Mrs. Hamp BROOKS and children of Asher spent last Sunday in Byars in the home of the latter's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ed COLBERT.

Mr. and Mrs. Elmer WALL are the proud parents of a fine boy born Sunday, July 17th.

Byars News
Mrs. M.W. WARD returned home Friday from Guymon, where she visited her parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.H. COCHRAN, several days.

Lanham and Jess WARD are visiting their brother, M.W. WARD, here.

Mrs. J.M. HENDRICKS of Davis is visiting her daughter, Mrs. Sam HENDRICKS and family.

Mr. and Mrs. Jimmie BYARS have moved to Enid.

Mr. Frank SMITH has returned from Kansas where he spent several days with relatives.

October 1, 1927

Day unknown
Johnsonville News
Mrs. DOLLAR spent Sunday evening with her daughter-in-law, Mrs. Ollie DOLLAR.

Mr. Homer TUCKER has returned from Houston, Texas, where he has been working.

Mr. Will CUMMINGS has been sick the past week but is better at this writing.

Mr. and Mrs. POWELL from Arkansas will make their future home in Byars.

Vivian TURNER of Stratford who is staying with her aunt, Mrs. Betty CUMMINGS and attending school at Byars spent the week end with home folks.

Day Unknown
Byars News
Mrs. A.C. PITCHFORD and daughter, Peggy Jo, of Wynnewood spent the week end visiting in the home of Mrs. PITCHFORD'S parents, Mr. and Mrs. R.A. SMITH.

Mrs. Florence MITCHELL and children of Lindsay spent the week end in Byars visiting Mrs. MITCHELL'S mother, Mrs. Betty GRIDER.

Day Unknown
Midway Chapel News
Mr. and Mrs. Albert COLVIN are the proud parents of a fine baby girl born Sunday, Oct. 2.

Pleasant Valley News
Miss Gladys FORD is visiting with Mrs. Pink TOWNSEND.

Miss Artie MARTI spent the week end with her parents, returning to Edmond Sunday. where she is attending college.

Mrs. Minnie HAYNES spent the week end at Lexington with Mrs. G. SHERMAN.

Purcell Register, Wednesday, July 4, 1935

McCracken Services Are Held Wednesday
Funeral services for Mrs. Nancy E. MCCRACKEN, 77, who resided east of Lexington, were conducted at the Wanette cemetery Wednesday afternoon at 3 o'clock. Burial was made in the Wanetta Cemetery with Yoakum Funeral Home of Purcell in charge.
Mrs. McCracken passed away at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Mamie REKESTREW. She was born September 27, 1857. She was well known and is survived by a number of relatives, as well as a host of friends.

(NOTE ... Mr. Western's obituary made the front page of the Purcell Register when it was published on September 6, 1945).

Funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon at 4:30 o'clock from the Rackley Chapel for David Edward Western, who died Tuesday morning at his home. Rev. J.
A. Russell conducted the services at the chapel with the Purcell Masonic lodge in charge of services at the grave. Wesley Martin sang "Pass Me Not O Gentle Saviour", "Does Jesus Care" and "Rock of Ages". Pallbearers were D.C. Cavnar, Lee Minnix, W.C. Cox, Tom Brantley, George Parker and Austin Beaver. Interment was made in Hillside Cemetery. "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints". Mr. Western was born March 27, 1873 in Claybrook Tennessee and came to Texas with his parents when he was six years of age. He was married to Lee Ora Bowen June 19, 1893 in Hillsboro Texas. He is survived by his wife and three sons, Thomas Edward of Whittier Calif, Elmer Earl of Purcell, and George Leslie of Andrews Texas, five grandchildren and two gr-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by two infant children. Mr. and Mrs. Western celebrated their golden wedding anniversary two years ago. Mr. Western had made his home in McClaim county forty-one years, living east of Wayne a number of years and more recently in Purcell. He was a member of the First Baptist church Purcell, Lodge No. 27 A.F. & A.M., the I.O.O.F. lodge, The Rebekah lodge and the Fraternal Order of the Eagles. He had many friends in the county and was universally liked and respected as a good man and citizen.

submitted by Melanie Whitney [email protected]

 published in the Purcell Register in Dec 1948).

Mrs. D.E. Western, 69, wife of the late Dave Western, who died in 1945, passed away at her home here Sunday after an extended illness. Funeral services were conducted Tuesday afternoon from the First Baptist church with the Rev. J.A. Russell officiating. Interment was made in Hillside cemetery. Mrs. Western came to Indian Territory with her husband in 1906. They lived at Wayne for a number of years where Mr. Western was employed in a gin there. Later they moved to Purcell where they lived until their deaths. She was a member of the Baptist Church. She is survived by two sons, T.E. Western, Purcell; George Western, Falfurrias Texas; and two grandchildren. Casket bearers were: W.C. Cox, Jim Underwood, Earl Newman, Jim Tippit, Tom Brantley and Bill Folsom.

submitted by Melanie Whitney [email protected]

February 12, 1998

Funeral services for Lawnie Harrison CYPERT, 82, of Purcell were held February 10. Died February 8, 1998. He was born Nov. 11, 1915 in Mobeetie, Tex. to Charles Edward CYPERT and Rosa Lee TROUT. Married Nola MILLER in Pucell on Nov. 8, 1938.

Clara Lucille SWINFORD Clara Lucille SINFORD, 84, of Lexington Died February 4, 1998 Born Sept. 13, 1913 at Lexington,  to Tony and Rose SINNES FEURBORN. Married Leo HUDSON in 1936.

Nettie June PERRY Mrs. PERRY, 72, of Lexington, died early Wednesday. Wife of Oliver PERRY

Elvas Lorn LOOMAN, age 75, died February 7, 1998 at Norman. She was born Dec. 3, 1922 in Hobart, married Ruby Sue POE February 26, 1948. Burial at Lexington Cemetery.

Alice Faye HANCE, age 95, died February 6, 1998. She was born March 7, 1902 in Wayne to  Thomas and Susie SHARP HOLLINGSWORTH and married to Oscar Lee HANCE in Erick, OK on July 26, 1921.

February 19, 1998

Delores J. LEBECK, age 70, died Feb.14,1998 at Norman. She was born January 15, 1928 at Ft.Wayne, Indiana to Leo L. and Mabel Ruth SANDUNDER DAUGHTER and married Max E. LEBECK in 1947.

Dorothy CRANE, age 90, died February 12, 1998 at Purcell. She was born Oct. 1, 1907 in Mound City, KS. to John and Lottie NEEL and married J. K. CRANE in Ft. Scott, KS in 1929.

Ralph PEERY, age 57, died February 14, 1998 at Purcell. He was born January 14, 1941 in Lexington to Ray and Laura Mae PEERY and married Sue CHANDLER.

Hallie Victoria SMITH, age 75, died February 10, 1998 at Noble. She was born Nov.13, 1922 in Ashland, OK to Lewis Randolph and Maggie Mee MURRIN married Carl SMITH.Funeral services will be held in Bell Gardens, CA Interment will be in the Park Lawn Cemetery.

Walter Lee COTTON, age 80, died February 10, 1998 at Norman. He was born August 4, 1917 at Choctaw to Walter P. and Lou Berrie COTTON,  married Mildred CHRISTIAN Aug 12, 1939.

Nettie LaJune PERRY, age 72, died February 11, 1998. She was born June 6, 1925 in Rosedale to Clyde and Lela THOMPSON and married Oliver Frankline PERRY Apr 21, 1946 in Fort Worth, TX.

Anita Louise SMITH, age 59, died February 12, 1998 at Purcell. She was born Aug 22, 1938 in Pucell to Dee John and Ruby Elizabeth (BROWN) HARPER and married Lloyd SMITH Sept. 5, 1956..Burial at Hillside Cemetery.

Samuel CARTER, age 76, died February 13, 1998 at Pucell. He was born May 8, 1921 in Texas to William Carter and Carrie ALLEN.

December 31, 1998.

Funeral services were held Saturday Dec. 26, 1998 for Fred "Omer" Lockmiller of Purcell.
Mr. Lockmiller, who was born March 9, 1898 in Texas toWilliam and Millie MCGEE LOCLMILLER, died December 22, 1998. He was 100 years old.
Mr. Lockmiller had ranched in the Purcell area since the early 1920's.
He moved to Purcell from Woody Chapel in 1925. He was married to Lucy WILEY who preceded him in death March 15, 1986.
Mr. Lockmiller is survived by his daughters Geraldine and Rhonda; two grandchildren; four great grandchildren and four great, great grandchildren.
Interment in the Hillside Cemetery under the direction of the Yoakum-Damet Funeral Home.
He was my Great Uncle.
Submitted by Tammie Chada [email protected]

Created by
Sharon Burnett-Crawford
Site Hosted by Rootsweb
Copyright 1996 - 2019 OKGenWeb Coordinator
[email protected]