Hartshorne Sun
|County Index| OKSpecial|YourTidbits| OutOfState |Clippings|OKDeaths| | OKBits
E Mail

Last Updated 

An OKGenWeb Project
If you have information posted on this site

OKbits FileHartshorne Sun, Pittsburg Co. OK

July 13, 1911

Henry HENDERSON, a helper on one of the mining machines in Mine No.7, was injured by a fall of rock in the mine Monday about noon, and suffered injuries from which he died Tuesday evening. His leg was broken, his hip crushed and he was the otherwise injured. He was taken to the hospital in McAlester, but was not able to survive his injuries.
Mr. Henderson had been in the employ of the Rock Island for about two years, and was well known in the vicinity. He was 34 years of age and married.
The funeral services will be held from the home in the northeast part of the city this afternoon at 2 o'clock, conducted by the A.O.U.W. lodge, of which the deceased was a member. Interment in the city cemetery.

Yesterday afternoon, Supt. COUGHLIN, of the Rock Island made application for furnishing water for the railroad. There are times when this company uses as much as 100,000 gallons daily.

A large crowd estimated at all the way from one-fourth to one-third over the previous attendance, was in Hartshorne last Saturday, attending the second monthly Trades Day. Although the day was hot and dry, great crowds began to arrive early from all directions, and by ten o'clock, the streets were crowded.
Most every farmer brought to town an exhibit or produce of some kind and notwithstanding the continued hot weather, the display of farm and garden products was far ahead of that of the first month and showed a growing interest among the farmers in this regard. The amusement features, the band concerts and the grand free prize drawing all seemed to please the crowd and everyone enjoyed himself. There was no disorder and no arrests.
The merchants all did a good business and were well satisfied with the results.
The following were the winners of the varouis prizes: Best stalk of corn; J.N. WALTERS.
Best Irish potatoes; J.M. PRICE
Best stalk of cotton; Claude BRIDGES.
Best watermelon; Charles WARD
Best pair Plymouth Rock chickens; C.L. HUNT
Best pair young chickens; W.P. HIXENBAUGH
Best pair Rhode Island Red(chickens); Joe HEFLEY
Best cantaloupe; Henry NEUBAUR
Best dozen onions; Dan HENDRICK
Best cabbage; Dan HENDRICK
Best loaf of bread; Mrs. Tom FIELDER
Best dozen eggs; W.R. BATES
Best pound of butter; Nellie HALL
Second best pound of butter; Lena HALL
General display of farm and garden products; J.E. WHITEHEAD.
Best pair of chickens; J.W. SUITER
Best six chickens; Tie, B.D. EDWARDS and J.O. CLEMMONS
Best six frying chickens; E.C. MOSLEY
The special amusement prizes were awarded as follows: Catching greasy pig; Jack WALKER
Shoe scramble race; Earl YATES
Men's foot race; George ARKEBAUER
Pony race; H.W. WILCOX
Hobble race; Clarence MCNEIL and Earl YATES
Woman's foot race; Gladys WHITE
The special grand prize was awarded to Miss Tom REAGIN.

Boy Killed By Train
Katy Passenger No.1 Struck A Boy Near McAlester Tuesday
This morning southbound Kay train No.1 struck a boy who was lying on the track at a point near Mekko, north of the city and killed him.
He was lying on the track apparently asleep and when he was discovered it was impossible to stop the train. He was struck by the pilot and knocked from the track. He was not run over by the train.
He was picked up by the train crew and placed in the baggage car. Dr. E.N. ALLEN was notified, as was the Chaney company. When the ftain arrived here the boy was dead. Mr. SCHADE, the undertaker, said he had probably died on the train.
There are three bad cuts on his head but the skull is not fractured. The right arm is broken and there is a compound fracture of the right leg about six inches below the knee. He left hip is dislocated.
No person who saw him this morning was able to identify him. A policeman said he believed it was the son of a widow living on the North Side but this proved to be a mistake. It was stated he was a son of a preacher living north of the city.
He was apparently 13 or 14 years old and well dressed. He wore a greenish cast knicker bocker suit, with a faint stripe running through it, a black and white plaid cap, gray tie, an anchor brand shirt, white with a stripe running through it and shoes pretty well worn. His stockings were black and of good quality. In his pockets nothing was found but a package of smoking tobacco such as is used for making cigarettes.
A boy of about the same age was apprehended today and he stated that he had been in the company of the boy who was killed for some time. This boy, who gives the name of Charles WILLIAMS and his residence as Ft. Worth, Tex., says that the other boy was from Midland, Tex. and that his father was a real estate agent there. He says that he never learned his name.
The undertaker has wired to Midland giving circumstances and descriptions.

Mrs. BLAKE Entertained
The beautiful home of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob THOMAS in East Fourth street was the scene Thursday afternoon from 2 to 5 o'clock of a pretty and enjoyable card party, given in honor of Mrs. O.H.P. THOMAS of Tulsa, Okla., and Mrs. C.R. BLAKE of Hartshorne, Oklahoma.
Mrs. C.B. HOLSTEIN, Mrs. J.D. DAVIS, and Mrs. W. Holton KEY assisted the hostess. The color scheme was white and green and the table and house decorations were clusters of many dozens of field flowers, which lent a brilliant and natural charm to the interior surroundings. There were two dozen guests present and the occasion was a notable midsummer event.
Mrs. BLAKE was awarded the guest prize, a handsome fan, and Miss Ethel SULSER won the hatpin.-Maysville, Ky Leader

July 20, 1911

Miss Margaret Ungles, of this city, and Mr. Edward J. Tschabold, of Houston, Texas, were married at Hotel Main, Ft. Smith, Ark. Tuesday afternoon at 3 o'clock.
Miss Ungles is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. F.G. Ungles, of this city and is a most popular and accomplished young lady. Mr. Tschabold is the proprietor of a large jewelry establishment in Houston, and was formerly in the employ of Joseph MAZER at McAlester.
Mr. and Mrs. Tschabold left Tuesday night for Houston where they will reside. The many friends of the contracting parties extend congratulations.

Meets Death In Mine
Jack MESARINO, an Assyrian employ as empty puller at Osage Company's mine No. 8, near McAlester, was instantly killed Tuesday afternoon by being struck by a cage at the lower landing.
He leaves a widow and one child.

Gets Fine Horse
J.B. REYNOLDS of this city, received Sunday the finest stallion ever brought to this part of the state. The horse came by express from Columbus, Ohio and is a thoroughbred registered Wilkes. His ancestors had famous records and sold for high prices. He was sired by McKinney, 2 11 1/4, who sold for $50,000, and was foaled by Axtell, 2 12, who sold for $105,000. The express charges on the animal were $163.00.

Injured in Runaway
Mrs. James LEE suffered injuries Tuesday afternoon in a runaway accident near mine No. 7. The horse she was driving became frightened at a passing team and threw her out, the wheels of the buggy passing over her body near her waist and redering her unconscious. It was thought for a while that she was fatally injured, but she is now on the road to recovery.

Miss Augusta DAVIS, who had been manager of the local telephone exchange for the past several weeks has resigned and Mrs. Belle GRANBURY, the former manager will return.

August 10, 1911

A Double Tragedy
Tom CORIETTI Of Haileyville Shoots Vincent MORETTI And Then Himself.
After writing out his will Friday morning Tom Corietti of Haileyville, went to the home of Vincent Moretti, shot and killed him and then sent a bullet into his own brain. Corietti's 18 year old daughter was the only witness to the double tragedy.
The murder and suicide was the result of an old debt which Coritti is said to have owed Moretti. The debt amounted to $200.00 and Moretti is said to have been urging Corietti to settle it. He was unable to pay the debt and they had quarreled several times.
Friday morning after writing his will, Corietti purchased a new pistol and went to the Moretti home to square the account. Immediate death resulted in both instances.
Both the dead men are Italians, Moretti was well-to-do and respected. Corietti had been in trouble several times on charges of "bootlegging".
He is survived by a family, but only the daughter lived with him. He was 45 years old. Moretti aged 27, was unmarried.

Sues Cement Company
J.H. KEITH Wants $1,000 for Crushing of Index Finger
J.H. KEITH by WILKINS & KEITH, his attorneys has files suit in the superior court against the Choctaw Portland Cement company for damages. He alleges that on January 12, 1911, he was employed by the defendant as a helper on a steam drill at defendant's rock quarry; that another drill jarred loose a large piece of rock, which fell on him, badly smashing his index finger and otherwise lacerating his hand.

August 24, 1911

Death Of  T. A. WHITE
Last Friday morning Mr. T.A. White died suddenly, at his home in the northeast part of the city, of heart failure brought on by an attack of Bronchitis. He had been sick several days but was thought to be improving so his death came as a shock to his friends and relatives.
Mr. White was born in Hopkinsville, Ky., and was seventy three years of age at the time of his death. He was one of the first settlers in Hartshorne having been a resident here for more than twenty years.
He is survived by a wife and nine children all of whom reside in Hartshorne.

FIRE At Krebs
The flames spread rapidly to building and for a time the entire town was threatened. Krebs has completed a system of waterworks and has a large reservoir but there has not been rain sufficient to fill it since it was completed.
Every citzen turned out to fight the flames and it was noted that there are many good workers there who did valiant service, but they were handicapped by the lack of water.
An appeal was made to McAlester and the hook and ladder truck from the central station was sent there with the chief and a number of firemen. They did good service and succeeded in saving the opera house, as their ladders enabled them to reach points where the building was catching fire. It was so scorched on the west side that the door and window frames will have to be made new. Mayor OTTERSON and a number of citizens went to Chief HOLBROOK and his men and thanked them sincerely for their help. the trip was made in 14 minutes.
As soon as the Katy officials on the North side heard of the situation they rushed a train of fourteen water cars there. The train was in the yards with all the tanks filled and it was soon rushed over there.
Mayor OTTERSON told the crowd to get all the buckets and tubs they cdould and every one about the stores was brought into requisition.
The block in which the fire occurred is very compactly built and they saw no chance of stopping the spread of the fire so dynamite was used to blow up the hotel and the Martin KEER residence, two 50-pound cases being used.
Across the street from the JOCOBS store the restaurant of P. CAVANAUGH was blistered and otherwise damaged.
the HOKEY drug store on the corner had one large glass broken.
Alex BAYOUTH, who had a store in the opera house building, has his stock removed and much of it was injured.
The stock of groceries belonging to Sam RICE was piled in the street and some lsot and other portions of it badly damaged.
Nearly everything was taken from the hotel before the building was dynamited, as was the case with the Martin KERR residence.
The dynamite broke every plate glass in the row west of the KERR residence, the KREBS Lumber company office, SILVO & CARANO'S pool hall. OGLESBY drug store and the post office.
The clerk in the postoffice got every piece of mail out of the boxes and had it all ready to move in case the fire should reach the building.
While there was apparently no wind blowing, burning shingles were carried a distance of a block and more and the residence of Mrs. BARRETT, more than a block away caught fire.
Mayor OTTERSON telephoned the light company and the lights and the street car current were cut off during the worst fo the fire to prevent danger from falling wires. The delay was only for a short time and the running of the cars was but slightly interfered with.
On one charge of dynamite the fuse failed to burn and three young men risked their lives in going after it to see what was the matter.
Wilson SHERWOOD, a young man dislocated his ankle but kept on at work as long as he could be of use in fighting the fire.
A negro was arrested while trying to get away with a pair of shoes from a stock of goods.
Many people visited the scene of the fire yesterday. Nothing remains on the ground but the rock foundations of the buildings and piles of ashes.
There was much coment on the fire yesterday and considerable excitement. Many citizens as well as some of the officials said they would report the case to the state fire marshal for a full investigation of the cause of the fire.
The total loss will amount to more than $20,000. J. JACOBS was the heaviest loser. He said today his stock was worth $14,000, and this was all destroyed with the exception of what was taken from the show windows. The building he valued at $2,500. He had insurance of $8,500 on stock and fixtures and $750 on the building.
Pete SILVA, owner of the hotel and barber shop has a loss of about $2,500. He had insurance of $1,800.
The Odd Fellows building was worth about $2,500 and was insured but the amount was not learned.
The Marin KERR residence was worth $1,000 or $1,200. It was not learned if this was insured.
Loss to buildings around the two sides of the burned district will amount to several hundred dollars.
Later-- Mrs. Esther SWARTZ, of McAlester, was arrested Tuesday, charged with fraudently destroying mortgaged property. She is the daughter of J. JACOBS, and is said to have been the last person seen to leave the store only a few minutes before the fire was discovered.

August 31, 1911
School Open Monday
The faculty for this year as chosen by the board is as follows: R.L. MCPHERON, Supt.
Morgan T. CRAFT, Principal
High School
Mrs. Bertha DEGROFF, Domestic Science and Music
Miss Clara ARNOLD, High School and eighth grade.
Miss Opal KELLER, sixth and seventh grades
Miss Renna ARNOLD, fifth and sixth grades
Miss Frances HIGGINS, fourth and fifth grades
Miss Mary HOLMES, third and fourth grades
Miss Tydfil RICHARDS, second and third grades
Miss Mayme MCHUGH, first grade
Miss Myrtle SMITH, primary
Miss Ruth HAMILTON, primary
Miss Mande THARP, first grade
Miss Dorthy VENSUS, second and third grades.

April 6, 1944

Bert Titus Dies At Home Here Saturday
Funeral services were held at 3 o'clock Sunday at Evans Funeral chapel for Bert TITUS with burial in Elmwood cemetery.
He is survived by his wife and these children, Mrs. Harold WISHON of Utah, Mrs. Tom LEHMAN, Carlsbad, N.M., Mrs. Mrs. Jeanette MERCER, OKC, Bert TITUS, Jr., Carlsbad, Mrs. Carl NICK, Hartshorne, Mrs. Bill WOODS, Detroit, Mich., Mrs. Lloyd CLINE, Hartshorne, Clinton TITUS, Walter TITUS and Loretta Belle TITUS of the home address.
A sister, Mrs. T. M. WHITING, is a patient in St. Mary's hospital, McAlester.
Eighteen grandchildren and two great grandchildren also survive.
Mrs. Wishon was the only one of the children unable to attend the funeral.

Mrs. Hannah Sivil Dies Tuesday
Funeral rites for Mrs. Hannah SIVIL, who died Tuesday morning await the arrival of a son, Martie from Florida.

Rites Are Thursday For Mrs. M. Ziverk
Funeral services for Mrs. Martha ZIVERK, Gowen, were held Thursday in the Russian Orthodox church with Rev. Alexis Rivera, Galveston, Texas, in charge.
Burial was in Elmwood cemetery by the grave of her late husband, Mike ZIVERK, who died nine years ago on December 26.
Pallbearers were Mitch ONESKY, Johnnie ONESKY, Paul ONESKY, Billie BARNES, John ZELNICK, Johnnie ZOZULA.
A daughter, Mrs. L KARTSONIS, of Kansas City, MO. came for the funeral with her husband, She returned to Kansas City Tuesday.
Another daughter, Mrs. William ZOZULA, Jr. is here from Cleveland, Ohio. She was accompanied by her sister-in-law, Mrs. Anna SEDLACCK. A son, Mickey ZIVERK, was here from Globe, Arizona, but he went back Monday.
Mrs. Ziverk was born in Austria but came to the United States as a girl in her teens. She had lived in Gowen for 44 years. She died suddenly Sunday, March 26, at the age of 80.
Seven children survive and 14 grandchildren. Three grandchildren preceded her in death, one of them, Johnnie Ziverk, meeting death in the North Atlantic during this War.

Homemaking Problems To Be Demonstrated
A soya demonstration will be held in the homemaking rooms at the Hartshorne high school Thursday, April 13, from 9 til 11 a.m. with Miss Mildred WILLIAMS of the Public Service Co. in charge.
The public is invited.
On April 26 in the home of Mrs. John LOWERISON, wife of the Public Service Co. manger here, there will be a canning demonstration from 2 til 4 p.m. for the women of the community.
Miss WILLIAMS will also be in charge of this demonstration.

Lieut. Vance PIPPIN At San Antonio
San Antonio Aviation Cadet Center, Texas--First Lieutenant Vance Bruce PIPPIN, 316 East Kali-Inla, Hartshorne, has reported to the San Antonio Aviation Cadet Center for duty.
Lieutenant Pippin is the son of Mrs. Etta PIPPIN of Hartshorne.

Dr.  W.B. MORRISON Dies In Durant
News has reached Hartshorne of the death of Dr. William Brown Morrison, Durant, state educator and writer, on March 20 at a Durant hospital.
Dr. Morrison came to Oklahoma in 1910 as the president of Oklahoma Presbyterian college, Durant, from Williamson, VA, where he had been editor of the Enterprise. He held this position for 13 years and has been a member of the history faculty at Southeastern Sate college since 1925.
He is survived by Mrs. Morrison and three sons and two daughter, One daughrter, Elizabeth, was music instructor in the Hartshorne schools several years ago.

Corp. Tommie Parker Sees King and Queen
Mr. and Mrs. Lonnie PARKER received a letter this week from their son, Corporal Tommie PARKER, who is stationed somewhere in England, advising them of a change in his address.
He told of seeing General Montgomery and General Eisenhower, also the King and Queen of England.
He said he had received a letter from one of our home boys, Buster MILLER, whom he thinks is stationed somewhere near him.
Corporal Parker's address is Corporal Tommie Parker, ASN 38464312, APO 635, c/o Postmaster, New York, NY. His unit number may be obtained from the Sun office.

Principal Hankins' Son Has APO Number
PFC Thomas J. HANKINS, colored, son of Principal T.H. HANKINS of the separate school, has a New York APO number.
His address is PFC. Thomas J. Hankins, 18194638, APO 572, c/o Postmaster, New York, NY
His unit number may be obtained from The Sun office by any friend who wants it.

Harvey PEARCE Gets Lieutenant's Commission
Harvey V. PEARCE having successfully completed his course at the Air Forces Officer Candidate School at Miami Beach, Florida, has received his commission as 2nd Lieutenant in the Air Forces of the Army of the United States.
His duties will be to direct vital administrative and supply operations of the Army Air Forces in theatres of operations all over the world.
As a civilian, Lt. Pearce lived at Hartshorne and Calvin, Oklahoma, prior to going to Washington, DC, where he was employed as a representative of the U.S. Civil Serivce Commission.

Mrs. Grady's Son Takes Army Exam
Mrs. Mary Gardy's son, John William GRADY, cashier of the First State Bank, Blanchard, a member of the board of directors of the bank, took his physical examination at Oklahoma City recently and passed. He is awaiting his call.
Born and reared in Hartshorn, Grady went to Blanchard in 19?? and has been in the banking business ever since.
A Blanchard paper said of his going; "The taking of family men and especially those like Mr. Grady who hold positions that would be almost impossible to get another to fill, brings the war a bit closer home to all.

Created by
Sharon Burnett-Crawford
Site Hosted by Rootsweb
Copyright 1996 - 2019 OKGenWeb Coordinator