||County Index| OKSpecial|YourTidbits| OutOfState |Clippings|OKDeaths| |||
An OKGenWeb Project
The Burney Academy
Chickasaw Orphans Home
State Highway 32 EAst of Lebanon, Marshall County, Oklahoma
Vicki Bell-Reynolds [email protected]
|Burney Academy Historical Marker
Burney Institute Site in vicinity south
Established 1854 by Chickasaw Council, Daugherty Colbert, Chief: David Burney, Joel Kemp, George D. James, A.V. Brown, school trustees.
Opened as school for Chickasaw girls 1859, under supervision of Cumberland Presby. Bd., Rev. Robert S. Bell and wife, teachers.
Name changed to Chickasaw Orphan Home and Manual Labor School, 1887
Lebanon Orphans Home, named for Lebanon, TN, by the Methodist Mission Board.
It was for the care and education of Chickasaw Orphans.
Established in 1854 by Chickasaw Council, Daugherty Colbert, Chief; David Burney, Joel Kemp, George D. James, A.V. Brown, school trustees. Opened as school for Chickasaw girls 1859, under supervision of Cumberland Presby. Bd. Rev. Robert S. Bell and wife, teachers. The home was discontinued during the years of the Civil War and reconstruction, but was re-opened about 1872. Name changed to Chickasaw Orphan and Manual Labor School, 1887. There was a capacity for 60 students. The boys were taught agriculture and horticulture, and the girls were taught housework, cooking, washing, ironing, plain and fancy sewing, quilting and knitting. All the students were given first class instructions in all branches of finished English education
|The brick school building was erected at the Chickasaw Orphan
Home in 1896. The first post office, Burney Academy, was established on July
3, 1860, with Robert S. Bell serving as postmaster and remained open throughout
the Civil War.
The earlier structure, a three-story frame building, has been reduced to one floor.
The mission was closed in 1832, but the work of the Cumberland
Presbyterian Church was continued later in the Indian Territory in the operation
of Burney Academy, the location of which was about one and half miles
east of present Lebanon, in Marshall County, the name of the school being
changed several times in the history of the Chickasaws, including the names,
Lebanon Institute and Chickasaw Orphan Home. The establishment of a boarding
school under the Cumberland Presbyterian Board was provided by a law of the
Chickasaw Council in 1854, signed by appropriating $3,000 for the school
and the same sum for the school every year thereafter, to be built in Wichita
County, Chickasaw district, Choctaw Nation, the region that later became
Pickens County, Chickasaw Nation. The building of the school was begun but
further appropriation was needed to complete the work, provided in an act
of the Chickasaw Legislature in 1857, allowing $5,000 out of the tribal funds
and referring to the school as "Burney Institute.
Site Hosted by Rootsweb
Copyright � 1996 - 2019 OKGenWeb Coordinator