RootsWeb is funded and supported by
Ancestry.com and our loyal RootsWeb community.
About Us | Contact Us | Copyright | Report Inappropriate Material
Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions | CCPA Notice at Collection
From Page 472 of Beers 1882 History of Warren County:
"The Lebanon Cemetery Association was organized at a meeting in the town hall of Lebanon, June 20, 1850. The capital stock of the association was divided into twenty-five shares of $50 each, and one share was taken by each of twenty-five stockholders. The first officers were: A. H. Dunlevy, President; John E. Dey, Jacob Egbert, Robert Boake and William M. Charters, Trustees; Horace M. Stokes, Clerk; and William F. Parshall, Treasurer. The grounds of the association at first consisted of eight and one-half acres, which were tastefully laid out according to a plat drawn at the request of the President, by John Van Cleve, Esq., of Dayton. Additions have since been made to the grounds, until they comprise nearly fifty acres. The first interment was that of Hannah Seely, who was buried August 29, 1850 [in lot #276]. In 1881, there were 450 lot-holders, and the total number of burials in the cemetery was 1,913, of which 208 were remains removed from the older graveyards. The grounds contain many beautiful and costly monuments, among which is the family monument, simple and chaste in design, of one of Ohio’s most distinguished men – Thomas Corwin."
The cemetery has been expanded a number of times over the years and remains an active cemetery operated by the City of Lebanon Divison of Parks and Cemeteries. Nearly 11,000 burials have been recorded as of June, 2002.