Newspapers, Franklin Twp from Beers History of Warren County, Ohio
This page is part of the Warren County Ohio GenWeb project
You are our [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor since 1 February 2005 -- thanks for stopping by!




Transcription contributed by Martie Callihan 1 February 2005


The History of Warren County Ohio
Part IV Township Histories
Franklin Township by W. C. Reeder
(Chicago, IL: W. H. Beers Co, 1882; reprint, Mt. Vernon, IN: Windmill Publications, 1992)


The first printing office in Franklin was established by Henry D. Stout, in March, 1834. Mr. Stout, who still lives in Dayton, and is probably the oldest printer in the State, had worked for several years as a jour printer, having been employed at one time by Harper Bros., of New York. He finally established the Ohio Argus at Lebanon, but came to this place in 1834, and commenced the publication of the Ohio Argus and Franklin Gazette. He continued this until 1839, when he removed to Sidney, Ohio. Several other printers were here in succeeding years, but did not become fixtures. During the war, A.. B. Barkalow and A. S. Reeder bought what was called an army press, and afterward, this was bought by M. W. Earhart and Stephen A. Burrowes, who published a paper called the Franklin Gazette. The proprietors being engaged in other business, were obliged to employ such help as they could get. A Mr. Taggert was in charge awhile, and then Mr. Edwards, but finally the enterprise was dropped. In May, 1872, H. D. Stout, as editor and proprietor, and A. B. Barkalow, as publisher, established the Franklin Advertiser, which soon became a fixture. Mr. Stout continued as owner until after the decease of Mr. Barkalow when he sold out to W. E. Findley, who, in 1876, continued the paper under the name of the Valley Chronicle. Mr. Findley succeeded well in his enterprise. A. B. Smith, on April 26, 1879, issued the first number of the Franklin Argus. The two papers have been continued until the past summer. July 1, Mr. A. O. Eaton, of Dayton, purchased the Argus, and, a few weeks afterward, the Chronicle, and has since published a paper called the Valley Chronicle and Franklin Argus.

During the past year, Franklin has had several new streets added, the corporation having been enlarged to almost double its former size. Several parties on the outskirts have laid out their lands in town lots. Tibbal's Addition is in the southwestern part of town, and Tibbal's street, George street and River street are in this. On the hills east of town are Hill avenue, East Third street and Allen street. The suburbs of the town are celebrated for their beauty, and many fine buildings may be seen on the various roads leading from town.

Fires have done but little damage in town. Probably the ones felt most were those which respectively destroyed the town hall and the Harding Mill.

FOOTNOTES: [a place to add additional information that you might want to submit]



NOTICE: All documents and electronic images placed on the Warren County OHGenWeb site remain the property of the contributors, who retain publication rights in accordance with US Copyright Laws and Regulations. These documents may be used by anyone for their personal research. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or their legal representative, and contact the listed Warren County OHGenWeb coordinator with proof of this consent.

This page created 1 February 2005 and last updated 9 November, 2008
© 2005-2006  Arne H Trelvik  All rights reserved