Dates - first decade of the 2000's in Norwood, Ohio

Historical Dates for Norwood, Ohio.

  • 2000 (May)
    Vandals burn the abandoned East Norwood railroad passenger station.

  • 2000
    Like Cincinnati and the other "old inner-ring suburbs" of Hamilton County, Norwood's population continues to decline (although an analysis of the data showed that Cincinnati's population actually gained a very small number). The 2000 Census determines Norwood's population to be 21,675. This is the smallest population since sometime between the 1910 and 1920 censuses. The populations at those times were 16,185 and 24,966, respectively. It appeared that the number of councilmembers will eventually need to be decreased to accomodate Ohio law. The 1990 census was 23,674, so the reduction in wards was appropriate even then. In the fall of 2004, the voters approved the reduction of the number of wards and councilmembers.

  • 2000
    Globe-Weis (which was created partially from the filing system business of Norwood's old Globe-Wernicke Company) and four other brands are combined to create Cardinal Brands, Inc. The Globe-Weis name was retained as brand name for file folders. The other brand names are Adams (business forms), Cardinal (binders) and Generations (scrap booking and storage supplies).

  • 2002 (October 25)
    The demolition of several buildings between Station Avenue, Sherman Avenue and Montgomery Road is started to make room for a Walgreens drive-thru drugstore. By February 2003, the new building is being constructed.

  • 2003
    Norwood "celebrates" its 100th anniversary of incorporation as a city.

  • 2003 (winter)
    Excavation begins on the Cornerstone Project at the southeast corner of Smith Road and Williams Avenue. The property is bounded by Williams Avenue on the north, Smith Road on the west and I-71 on the east and south.

  • 2004 (spring)
    Construction begins on the first building of the Cornerstone Project. The multistory steel framework is prominently visible from I-71 and dominates the Williams Avenue/Edwards Road exit from southbound I-71.

  • 2004 (summer)
    SORTA, in a major readjustment of its bus routes county-wide, eliminates several routes in Norwood, leaving some streets without public transportation that had been provided for over 100 years. The only remaining routes are Route 4, which travels on Montgomery Road in Norwood and provides service to downtown Cincinnati, and a new route, Route 51, a crosstown route from the University of Cincinnati area to the new Oakley shopping mall, "Center of Cincinnati." The new route enters Norwood at Montgomery from Dana, travels north to Sherman, then to Smith, Edmundson and Edward Roads. From there it goes to Hyde Park Square and then Oakley's two shopping malls, "Hyde Park Plaza" and "Center of Cincinnati."

  • 2006 (July 15)
    The Hamilton County bomb squad removed 150 pounds of old dynamite from a back porch of a house on the 3900 block of Spencer Avenue. About 20 families were evacuated for eight hours.

  • 2006 (fall)
    Construction begins on the first phase of the "Linden Pointe At The Lateral" development. The old Arnold Building (a.k.a "triangle building" and "flat-iron building") at the intersection of Carthage Avenue and Montgomery Road is demolished. A smaller replica of it is built, using new bricks, on the Linden Pointe site — this one is pointing east, instead of south as was the original.

  • 2007 (summer)
    The southern half of Carthage Avenue between Ross Avenue and Montgomery Road is abandoned and closed. This will end the continuous path through Norwood of the 200+ year-old "Columbia Road."

    Other road changes are made in conjunction with the Carthage Avenue modification. The entrance ramp from Montgomery Road to west-bound SR-562 (Norwood Lateral) is closed. A western extension of Norwood Avenue (officially named later by City Council as "Joseph E. Sanker Bouelvard") is built from the now-closed Lateral ramp to Section Avenue. This makes the intersection, just north of the Montgomery Road bridge, a right-angled four-way intersection, instead of the sharp-angled five-way. Also, to accomodate the expected increased traffic on Norwood Avenue, that street is widened and given traffic lights at key intersections. Montgomery Road is also widened from Norwood Avenue to Ross Avenue to handle the traffic from the closed end of Carthage Avenue.

    A make-over of Surrey Square starts with construction of a new building for McDonald's restaurant, some exterior modifications on the north side of square, and preparations for an extension of the main building on the south side.

  • 2007 (fall)
    The old Kaesemeyer & Sons Company dairy building and "smokestack" at 5612 Carthage Avenue is demolished. A new company will rebuild on the site. The empty building had previously been used as an antique store. Directories indicate that Louis Kaesemayer started his dairy at the northeast corner of Carthage and Dale Avenues around 1913. At that time Norwood had six other dairies — Coldewey, Funke, Miller, Niehoff, Norwood and Schmutte.

    Council names the new western extension of Norwood Avenue as "Joseph E. Sanker Boulevard," in honor of the former Mayor.

    Announcement is made by the City that the old "Steinberg's" building at the intersection of Montgomery and Smith is to be demolished (it is torn down the first week of November) and a medical building will be constructed in its place. Interestingly, an old stone foundation, or wall, is visible at the Montgomery Road side of the excavation—the other foundations are poured concrete.

  • 2007 (October 16-December 28)
    The R.R. Donnelley & Sons Company purchases Cardinal Brands, Inc., making the brands part of its TOPS Products division. One of the brands, Globe-Weis was created years before, partially from the office filing business of Norwood's old Globe-Wernicke Company.

  • 2008 (January 28)
    An underground telephone cable, running from Montgomery Road, and under Madison Avenue to Forest Avenue, was cut at the Surrey Square expansion, disconnecting phone service for many homes in South Norwood. The cable cut was said to contain either 900 or 1800 twisted pairs and 600 active telephone lines. Some subscribers were without service for days as crews worked day and night to repair the damage.

  • 2008 (March 22)
    The old Zumbiel buildings on Cleneay Avenue are imploded, clearing the way for the Xavier University development project.

  • 2008 (November)
    The west strip of Norwood Plaza is demolished the first week of November, soon after Xavier University acquired the property. The north strip will be removed after the current leasees move out.

  • 2012
    After years of delays and major project changes, the Rookwood Exchange starts with a ground breaking ceremony for a complex of two restaurants, a hotel, office building and parking garage.