The 1990 Census determines Norwood's population to be 23,674. In
1931, the city was rezoned from four to six wards, reflecting the
increase in the city's population. The 1930 census had shown a
population of 33,411, above the 25,000 cut-off for more wards. The
question is whether, by state law, the city must reduce the number
of wards and councilmembers to represent the 1990 census count.
However, this possibility isn't brought to the public's attention
until 2003. In the fall election of 2004, the voters decide to
reduce the number of wards to four.
- 1990 (February)
Renovation begins to convert the former Foy Paint Company building
at 1776 Mentor Avenue into a business "incubator"
- 1990 (February)
The Victoria senior housing complex is completed.
- 1990? (March 2)
City council passes a resolution approving the construction of a
bridge and roadway to Central Parke. The road is a southern
extension of Wesley Avenue, starting at Harris Avenue. The bridge is
built to go over the CSX railroad tracks. Wesley Avenue continues
over the bridge and past Wall Street in Central Parke. Although
initial plans are to extend the street all the way to Park Avenue,
this is opposed by local residents, who site historical legal
- 1990 (April 10)
The Belvedere Corporation breaks ground on the "Central
- 1990 (July 9)
The BASF Plant at the corner of Dana Avenue and Montgomery Road, in
Cincinnati at the southern line of Norwood, explodes. Windows are
shattered at Norwood storefronts a mile away on Montgomery Road.
This completes the history of a facility that started as the Ault
& Wiborg Company, which provided the inks for the 1894 Mulford
& Betty book.
- 1990 (September 22)
The Norwood Times publishes its first
issue. This was the first community newspaper for Norwood since The
Norwood Enterprise-Press stopped printing its paper ten
- 1991 (June)
Stone Lanes is closed after the owner, Murco, Inc., has financial
difficulties. The bowling lane reopens a year later with new
- 1991 (July 4)
Victory Park is rededicated to honor the service people
participating in the Persian Gulf Desert Storm Operation. The newly
refurbished monument, in memory of Norwood's service people lost in
WWI, WWII, Korean War and Vietnam War, is rededicated by Mayor
Joseph E. Sanker.
- 1992 (June 5)
The J. H. Day Company moves its Norwood operations to Florence,
Kentucky, in a consolidation of its operations. The company, at 4932
Beech Street, had been in Norwood for more than 50 years. It was
founded in 1887. It manufactured industrial mixing machines for the
food service and pharmaceutical industries. The Norwood property is
later acquired by the Rumpke Company.
- 1992 (June 22)
Fifth Third Bank moves its Norwood branch from 4730 Montgomery Road
to the northwest corner of Smith Road and Sherman Avenue.
- 1992 (June 23)
At a meeting, Norwood City Council, the city administration,
residents and the Belevedere Corporation agree to a phase one
development of the 1,200-foot Wesley Avenue extension that will end
as a cul-de-sac at the back of the Salvation Army building. The
Central Parke property will serve as collatoral for bonds that are
to be repaid by a special tax assesment on the property.
Just a few days earlier, two long-time Park Avenue residents
surprise the city and the developer with their find of a
102-year-old deed dedicating the property (the islands on Park
Avenue) "to public use forever for park purposes only."
The Norwood Safety Service Director at the time, Darrel Maxwell,
says he understands the word "forever" in a document to
mean 99 years. He supports a two-phase approach, where a temporary
cul-de-sac will be built in phase one, and the road exit on Park
Avenue would be done after the "controversy" is
- 1992 (July)
Stone Lanes reopens after being closed in June 1991. The new owner,
the Bedinghaus family, bought the bowling lane at 3746 Montgomery
Road from Murco, Inc. in April.
A joint effort to improve the facades of the buildings on the west
side of Montgomery Road between Elm and Lawrence Avenues by the
city, Belvedere Corporation and The Norwood Chamber of Commerce was
started. Mayor Joseph E. Sanker said, "Because of the
historic nature of that district, it is our desire to restore and
upgrade as opposed to tearing down. With all of the redevelopment,
this is one of the few remaining strips of what used to be known as
'The Pike.' We want to preserve that part of our history."
Ten years later, most of these buildings were demolished for a
relocated Walgreens drugstore.
Norwood enactes a law in 1993 that set curfews of midnight-5 a.m.
for under 18 years old and 10 p.m.-5 a.m. for those under 16. (A
Cincinnati Enquirer story on Sunday, July 16, 2006, stated that in
2005 there were 54 citations for curfew violation.)
- 1998 (March)
Former Norwood Mayor Joseph W. Shea, Jr. dies.
Lear Corporation acquires United Technologies Automotive Systems
(which had been made partly from the old Sheller-Globe company, the
successor of Globe-Wernicke Industries and one-time parent of
Norwood's Globe-Wernicke Company) from United Technologies