Allis-Chalmers' "Bullock Works" becomes known as
Allis-Chalmers' "Norwood Works."
- 1930 (February)
The grade of Williams Avenue between Forest and Burwood Avenues is
lowered by two feet.
- 1930 (May 28)
The Gradison Construction Company begins work on the reconstruction
of Montgomery Road. The first work is the removal of the granite
blocks that make up the street's surface. The new road consists of
fifty-five foot wide, 4,250 foot long concrete roadway. From start
to finish it takes only 99 days, much less than the 200 days
allocated for this first section.
- 1930 (June 28)
At midnight, Sunday, Norwood switches to a dial system for its
telephones. Norwood is the first area of the Cincinnati and Suburban
Bell Telephone Company to make the change. The work to make the
changeover is started on May 26 and is to be completed by June 25.
There are over 13,600 Norwood telephones at the time.
- 1930 (August 17)
Tom Mix, movie star and circus performer, visits Norwood and an old
friend, John Robinson III. Mr. Mix and his daughter, Thomasina, play
on Mr. Robinson's Plaza golf course at the corner of Main and Madison Avenues. (This
location may be part of today's Surrey Square parking lot.)
- 1930 (September 4?)
After only 99 days, the Montgomery Road repaving from granite blocks
to concrete is completed.
- 1930 (September 19 & 20)
The City celebrates the dedication of Main Avenue's (Montgomery
Road) reopening after 99 days of extensive repaving by the Gradison
- 1931 (February 2)
The City of Norwood announces a plan to rezone the city from four to
six wards, reflecting the increase in the city's population.
- 1931 (April)
The Pennsylvania Railroad announces they are going to build a
passenger station on Harris Avenue in Norwood, where it still sits,
- 1932 (December)
Ren Mulford, Jr., journalist, one of Norwood's first official
historians and co-editor of the 1894 book Norwood,
Her Homes and Her People, dies.
Globe-Wernicke defaults on interest due on notes and is placed in
- 1933 (February)
Pennsylvania Railroad opens a new passenger depot on Harris Avenue
at a cost of $750,000 .
It is built to complement the new Union Terminal building in
Cincinnati. This is of special interest since it was probably the
last passenger depot built in Norwood, and The Cincinnati, Lebanon
& Northern Railroad may have stopped their passenger service
this same year.
- 1933 (March 23)
The third mayor of Norwood (1895), David Davis dies. He was also the
first Solicitor of the village, and a former Judge of the Hamilton
County Court of Common Pleas.
- 1933 (November)
William H. Albers opens Ohio's first supermarket, the Albers Super
Market, in Norwood at Montgomery Road and Madison Avenue. This may
be the first grocery store anywhere to use the name
"supermarket." Mr. Albers is a former president of the
Kroger Grocery & Baking Company.
- 1934 (April)
Sixty-eight-year-old former Norwood Mayor and City Solicitor, and
former Hamilton County assistant prosecutor, Orville Dwyer, dies at
his home at 2210 Madison Avenue.
- 1934 (June)
As workers strike the Remington-Rand Plant in Norwood, a picketer is
- 1934 (June 25)
Former Norwood Mayor and physician, Thomas V. Fitzpatrick, dies at
Globe-Wernicke is reorganized under bankruptcy.
The Schmidlapp Motor Car Company, an Oldsmobile dealership, moves
from Reading Road, Cincinnati, to 3804 Montgomery Road, Norwood.
This would be on the east side of Montgomery Road, near Cleneay
- 1935 (August)
Waterworks Swimming Pool began as a Federal W.P.A. project. It was
completed June 19, 1936.
- 1935 (November 28)
First services held in the new Zion Reformed Church building on
Sherwood Lane. Rev. Ben Herbster was the pastor. The church was
built of stones that were previously parts of three demolished
- 1936 (May)
The Remington-Rand (formerly the Dalton Adding Machine Company)
workers vote to strike again at the Norwood plant. This begins a
four-year struggle that ends with the plant being sold. This is the
last year of production at the factory that was built in 1914.
- 1936 (June)
The Norwood Eagle Building and Loan Association receives a Federal
Charter, and changed its name to The Norwood Federal Savings and
- 1936 (June 19)
Norwood's new municipal swimming pool opened. The W.P.A. project was
started in August 1935. The total cost for the shelter house and
swimming pool was $30,606.11, of which the W.P.A.'s part was
Rainbow Bread Company locates in Norwood .
The Section Avenue Viaduct is dedicated for the first time.
- 1936 (October 5)
On that Monday night at 7:30, a motorcade travels from St. Elizabeth
along Carter, Williams, Floral, Park, Norwood, Main, Moeller,
Quatman, Section, Franklin, and Mills, returning to the church. This
parade is to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of St. Elizabeth's
Globe-Wernicke keeps the same name as it is reorganized again, this
time under a new bankruptcy regulation.
- 1937 (February 13)
The United Auto Workers Local 131, Chevrolet and Fisher Body Plants,
hold a parade in downtown Norwood to celebrate the February 11th end
of the six-week General Motors sit-down strike.
During the flood of 1937, Norwood provide assistance to Cincinnati,
especially by providing clean water from its artesian wells.
The Strobridge Lithographing Company moves its entire operations to
Norwood. At this time Strobridge's business is on the decline with
reduced demand for traveling circus and theatrical posters.
- 1938 (May)
Seventy-three year old Norwood Mayor Amos L. Eyler suffers a stroke
at the conclusion of a city council meeting. After being worked on
by Dr. W. B. Carmon and the fire department life squad, he regains
consciousness over an hour later. He is transported to Good
Norwood celebrates the semi-centennial of the village's founding.
Just six years after selling his interest in the Norwood Frisch's
Stag Lunch restaurant to his brothers, David Frisch opens a
new restaurant in Norwood called Frisch's Café.
Unfortunately, soon afterwards, he has to close it and his Oakley
restaurant because of the Depression.
- 1938 (October)
Edward H. Anthony, councilman for South Norwood in 1894, dies at age
82. He had been in a coma for over three weeks after falling at the
Old Men's Home in Cincinnati.
- 1939 (May 9)
An explosion of a varnish machine at U. S. Printing &
Lithographing Company, Beech and Robertson, could be heard for
miles. The blast, which occurred forty minutes after the noon hour,
caused an estimated $25,000, but no one was injured since most of
the 75 workers were at lunch. Over 50 windows were blown out of the
- 1939 (July)
Former Norwood Mayor and Judge, George Mills dies.