1894 Book - Norwood's people
NORWOOD HISTORICAL SOCIETY
[1894 BOOK INDEX]
Social Clubs SECTION Parks

"Norwood, Her Homes and Her People"

by Ren Mulford, Jr., and Werter G. Betty,
Norwood's first official historians

NORWOOD'S PEOPLE.

- pages 47, 48 & 50 -

THE intense personal interest that the majority of her people take in the welfare of Norwood is doubtless responsible for the commanding position she holds among the suburbs to-day. It was at Columbus, before a meeting of a legislative committee, that Judge John P. Murphy, a resident of Bond Hill, eloquently referred to Norwood as "the Chicago of Hamilton County!"
    Among Norwood's 6,000 people to-day there are men in all walks of life, some prominent in city and state, and some whose fame is international. Louis T. Rebisso, the sculptor, is one of these—the artist who gave Washington her statue of General J. B. McPherson; to Chicago, the grand tribute to U. S. Grant, that adorns Lincoln Park, and whose statue of General William Henry Harrison will be one of Cincinnati's art treasures, is one of Norwood's citizens.
    There are merchants, wholesale and retail; attorneys, real estate men, insurance men, railroaders, contractors, commercial tourists, newspaper people, teachers—in fact, almost every department in life's busy hive is represented in Norwood's happy family, and the great majority of them own their homes.
    The American Pharmaceutical Association came to Norwood for its president, and Prof. J. U. Lloyd has occupied that position twice. He was first called to that post of honor in 1889, and in 1891, the summons was repeated. Prof. Lloyd has an international reputation, and is one of the most famous scientists in the world. He has extensively contributed to the literature of his profession, and has made discoveries that have worked revolutions in the school of medicine. One of his works, "The Chemistry of Medicine," is an accepted text-book in many medical colleges, and with his brother, C. G. Lloyd, a botanist of note, he is now completing an exhaustive volume on "The Drugs and Medicines of North America." He has for years occupied the chair of Chemistry in the Eclectic Medical Institute and that of Pharmacy in the Cincinnati College of Pharmacy. "Eighty Distinguished Pharmacists of the World" is the title of a volume recently published at Geneva, Switzerland, and John Uri Lloyd was one of three Americans whose life-work was revealed within its pages.
    Alexander Fries, head of the chemical firm of Alex. Fries & Bros., is another resident who has gained fame abroad, as well as success at home. He is a descendant of a long line of professors of mathematics, and was born in Germany. Mr. Fries spent twelve years of his early life in Spain, devoting most of his time towards developing the country traversed by the Sierra Morenas. His efforts were crowned with such success as to warrant the Spanish Government's official recognition by elevating him to Knighthood and bestowing upon him the high order of Carlos III, an honor heretofore attained by few foreigners.
    Dr. John Weyer, who was Norwood's first mayor, was once president of the Ohio State Pharmaceutical Board, as well as president of the Cincinnati College of Pharmacy. He was the projector and is president of the Retail Druggist' Insurance Association, which at once found and filled a field of usefullness.
    R. P. Bellsmith, whose camera has played no little part in the preparation of this work, is "one of the people." The Photographers' Association of Ohio elected him president, and at the World's Fair, in Chicago, the blue ribbon of a first prize winner was draped over the exhibit of this Norwood fotografer.
    The Western Union Telegraph Company is represented in the persons of Manager Charles E. Page and Cashier Allen B. Clark, while several attaches also help to swell Norwood's census.
    A. H. Singer, the agent of the United States Express Company, and Peyton R. Keim, recently installed as General Superintendent of that company, at Cincinnati, give the "transportation department" a good standing in the roll call of vocations.
    The disciples of Blackstone who dwell within Norwood's gates, include A. McNeill, O. P. Cobb, W. G. Williams, David Davis, Edward Moulinier, C. E. Prior and A. A. Brown. The latter founded "The Lumber Worker" and has been editor of "The Furniture Worker" for ten years past.
    The fraternity of railroad men has several bright representatives, including C. O. Ryan, the General Passenger Agent of the Chesapeake and Ohio; Charles Patton, the Paymaster, and Frank Zimmerman, General Baggage Agent, of the Queen and Crescent, and H. E. Sawyer, Master of Transportation of the C. L. and N. George H. Singer, of the B. & O. S. W., doubtless possesses one of the finest collections of rare etchings, artists' proofs in the West.
    Good libraries are numerous, evidence that the literary tastes of Norwood's people are good. Samuel T. Harris, one of the pioneers of the borough, has a magnificent collection of valuable tomes. He is an ardent lover of horse flesh, and owner of fine stock, and his writings have been of such a nature, that in the trotting world he is accepted as an authority upon the horse.
    It is a singular coincidence that the editors of both Cincinnati Catholic weekly newspapers reside at Norwood—Joseph Schoenberger, of the Catholic Telegraph, and Bruno Ritter, of Die Wahrheitsfreund.
    Hugo E. Knaught, L. E. Van Ausdol, John Findlay, Richard Hempel and C. L. Cist are recruits from the banking districts. William J. O'Neill, of the Board of Elections, is one of the "new comers."
    Rev. J. A. Markham, who is pastor at the Bethel, that great mission on the river front, claims Norwood for his home, and Rev. A. J. Reynolds, one of the veterans of the Presbyterian church, resides on Smith avenue. Rev. T. J. Harris and Rev. J. R. Powell are other resident ministers.
    J. A. Knapp, another contributor to the beauty of this work, upholds the dignity of the artist. It is meet perhaps to observe that H. F. Farny painted several of his celebrated Indian pictures while he made his home under the Strobel roof "on the heights."
    Four ex-members of the State House of Representative are "at home" here—W. M. Day, Chas Jeffre, W. H. Dicks and Alf. Korte.
    The First Regiment O. N. G. can muster several officers inside Norwood's picket lines, include Major W. M. Day, Major Ed Lovell, Captain W. J. O'Nell, Jr., Captain Sam Kennedy and Lieutenant Davidson, of Company F. Dr. A. W. Klein, Assistant Surgeon Light Artillery, O. N. G., also possesses the Norwood countersign.
    Resident real estate men are numerous, for many of them have contributed their belief in the virtue of their own arguments by building themselves in the "Gem of the Highlands." John G. Brotherton, of the Elsmere Syndicate; Robert Leslie, Philip Moessinger, J. W. Fritsch, W. H. Dicks, the Barkers, Henry Feldman, Harry Q. Cleneay and S. P. Lane are only a few of those on the roster. "Uncle Bob" Leslie has always been active in the development of the borough. Floral avenue, the handsome thoroughfare which runs from Norwood Park through Elsmere, was his pet project, and when it was built (the great avenue in South Norwood) a tribute was paid to his genius.
    E. C. Poage and Henry C. Meader are prominent members of the family of ticket brokers, and both travel as far as East Norwood every day. They are known all over the land.
    Among pedagogues there are W. S. Cadman, former superintendent of Norwood's schools, now at Ludlow Grove, H. H. Brader, of Woodward High School, and Prof. J. C. Kinnery.
    There is a veritable hive of shoe men in South Norwood, including H. M. Richardson, George T. Hipple, C. C. Robinson, A. A. King and Wm. Hirsch, while B. Albers resides in the west borough.
    Harry M. Lane, the mechanical engineer; Chas. H. Gogreve, Secretary of the Wholesale Grocer's Association of Cincinnati; John B. Maas, of Traxel & Maas; Fred Witte, of the Moerlein Brewing Co.; S. B. Markland, who has been Grand Marshal of the Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Masons for six years; Seth Hayes, the Director of the Cincinnati Society of Natural History; A. Y. Reid, H. L. Harrington, with Ault & Wiborg; W. E. Kreidler, Secretary of Superintendent J. M. Dawson, of the John Shillito Company; S. S. Kingery, of the Kingery Manufacturing Company; W. C. Hattersley, of the Victor Safe Company; B. C. Smith, of the Cincinnati Suspender Company; T. J. McFarlan, of the Dexter Lumber Company; C. F. Seaman, who is President of the Union of Y. P. S. C. E; A. C. Cattell; E. W. Jewell, of the Union Central Life Insurance Company; W. G. Brown, of the Cleveland Rubber Company; Wallace M. Davis, Superintendent of the Cincinnati Omnibus Company; W. J. Winterbottom, Superintendent of the Cincinnati Transfer Company; W. R. Johnson, the insurance man; Peter Brooks, the fruit dealer; Wesley A. Stewart, the chemist; H. J. Reedy, the elevator manufacturer; Julius Friedeborn, of the J. Wilder Co.; W. J. Ratliff, of the Roosa and Ratliff Chemical Co.; E. H. Murdoch, the insurance man; George S. Stevens, with the A. E. Burkhardt Co.; T. Lytle Sweeney, of the faculty of the Technical school; Charles Evans, the steel and iron factor;—these are but a few of the thousands who sing the praises of Norwood in the morning, afternoon and at eventide.
    Just above the village is "The Pines," the country home of Albert McCullough, part of whose place lies in Norwood. A. O. Russell, head of the world renowned firm of Russell, Morgan & Co., now the United States Printing Card Company, is the nearest neighbor of this famous floriculturist. He is a great disciple of Izaak Walton, one of the Cuvier regulars, and an authority on whist.
    The late Mrs. Helen J. Bowler built the first house in South Norwood, now occupied by Charles E. Slane and wife, nee Cora Bowler. C. F. Hesser, however, was the pioneer in that section, taking possession of his new home before the Bowlers moved in.
    While Norwood has its quota of men of note, there are also among Norwood's women some who have won renown. Mrs. R. C. Trivett is recognized with the foremost of the decorative artists of the day. The Woman's Building at the World's Fair contained evidences of her work, and the Arkansas Building was decorated by her. Scores of houses here and in other cities have been beautified by her. To literature, Mrs. S. W. Lloyd has been a prolific contributor, and some of her poems are gems. Many a house, beautiful in the borough, is replete with tributes to the artistic tastes of the reigning goddess of the home.

———    –    ———

NOTES:
This entire section was originally written as one paragraph. It has been broken into several paragraphs here for easier reading.

– ——— –
Isaac Walton was an English biographer, who is best known for THE COMPLEAT ANGLER (1653), a classic guide to the joys of fishing. Obviously, these references meant that Mr. Russell was a member of The Cuvier Club in Cincinnati. From this we can deduce that Mr. Russell was an avid fisherman, a sport supported by the club, and was likely one of its "best whist-players" as the following excerpt suggests.

    "The Cuvier Club was organized in 1874, for the protection of game and fish and for social purposes. It has a very fine collection of 3,000 specimens of birds and fish. The building of the Club, on Longworth Street, is excellently designed, with a large room for a museum above, where are trophies of the chase and social rooms with a small library and periodicals. The club claims to make the best laws, to catch the best fish and game in season, and to have its membership the best whist-players of this section. The club has been of great service in keeping before the public and various legislatures the great harm that arose from the indiscriminate pursuit of game and fish; and it has been indefatigable in its efforts to procure the enactment and enforcement of suitable laws."
Historical Collections of Ohio, 1888, Volume 1, page 801
– ——— –
Two people were mentioned as having exhibits at the Chicago World's Fair (a.k.a. The World's Columbia Exposition) — R. P. Bellsmith and Mrs. R. C. Trivett. The Woman's Building, where Mrs. Trivettt had work displayed, was designed by Sophia Hayden as an Italian Renaissance-style building to house exhibits specifially for women. Besides the works of these two Norwood residents, the 1893 Exposition introduced several products to the world: the Ferris Wheel, which was invented for the fair by George Ferris; U. S. Postal Service's first picture postcards; Cracker Jacks (although that name wasn't used until later); Aunt Jemima Syrup; Cream of Wheat; Shredded Wheat; Juicy Fruit gum and hamburger.
– ——— –
Social Clubs SECTION Parks

[HOME] [SOCIETY] [PEOPLE] [COMPANIES] [BUILDINGS] [STREETS]
[TRANSPORTATION] [BOOKS] [CLIPPINGS] [DATES] [GOVERNMENT] [ODDS & ENDS]
[1894 BOOK INDEX]


Valid CSS! Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional