William M. Fridman was born in 1863 at Clemontville, Ohio. After graduating from Ohio Wesleyan University, Delaware, Ohio, he attended the University of Cincinnati College of Law, from which he graduated in 1887. He moved to Norwood in 1892.
Fridman, Democrat, was elected mayor of Norwood in 1912, serving from 1912-1914. Also, he was president of the Board of the Sinking Fund from 1905-1910 and city solicitor of Norwood from 1937 (1934?) through 1940. In his last year, he served as chairman of the Democratic Campaign Committee, and vice president of the Norwood Democratic Club.
It was written that during his term as mayor, he "advocated the extension of Ross av.; the formation of Lafayette av. and entrances to Norwood from Duck Creek rd." Also, during those years, "Norwood became the first town in Ohio to have a completely motorized fire department." However, only light fire trucks could be used at first, because of the condition of the streets. Finally, it was during his term that the voters approved the construction of city hall.
Some organizations Fridman belong to were: Board of Trustees of Norwood Presbyterian Church for 27 years (president); Vattier Lodge, 36, F. & A. M., for 60 years; Ohio Bar Association for 30 years and for more than 50 years, attorney for the Norwood Improved Building & Loan Co. (charter member).
In September 1952, Mr. Fridman, 89, suffered a stroke at his home, 2256 Jefferson avenue, Norwood, and died at Jewish Hospital. He left his wife, Mrs. Stella Sutton Fridman; a brother, Frederick W. Fridman, building supervisor of the Norwood City Building, and two sisters, Mrs. Belle Wallace, of Maysville, Ky., and Mrs. Ann Rice, of Lawrence, Nebraska.