Bullock Electric Motor & Dynamo Company

Bullock Electric Motor & Dynamo Company.
(a.k.a. Bullock Electric Manufacturing Company
and "Bullock Works" of Allis-Chalmers Manufacturing Co.)

birdseye view of the original Norwood Bullock Electric Motor & Dynamo Company Factory and Office
Bullock Electric Motor & Dynamo Company
Factory & Office
(ca. 1900)
Forest Avenue along front of facility; B&OSWRR crossing of Forest Avenue at left; Park Avenue not visible at extreme right; Barker Residence (proprietors, Cincinnati Pressed Brick Company) at corner of Park & Forest Avenues

The business was first established in 1884 as the Geo. F. Card & O. W. Jantz Manufacturing Company. Over the next few years it was also known as The Card Electric Motor & Dynamo Company and possibly The George F. Card Manufacturing Company. The Geo. F. Card Electric Company was probably a company Mr. Card started in Mansfield, Ohio, afterwards.

In early 1897, after being taken over by George Bullock as president as treasurer and J. S. Neave as vice-president and secretary, the company was renamed The Bullock Electric Manufacturing Company. There are also early references to the business as The Bullock Electric Motor & Dynamo Company. At the same time, a related business, The Bullock Electric Company was created to handle sales east of the Alleghanies. Mr. Bullock and Robert T. Lozier (who had been the general Eastern agent for the Card Electric Motor & Dynamo Company) were partners in this New York based business. Click here to read an 1897 article in The Electrical World journal about the company's name change.

That same year, Bullock built a new facility in East Norwood. It was the first industrial manufacturing factory in Norwood and for that reason caused some worry for the nearby residents of East Norwood and especially the adjacent subdivision of Norwood Park. Click here to read an 1899 article about the early relationship of the Bullock workers with Norwood citizens. Soon after moving to Norwood, the company had a disagreement with the Village Waterworks Trustees about its water bill— click here to read a newspaper article about this dispute.

George Bullock, the owner and president of the company, may have had plans for the Norwood area even earlier. Sometime between 1884 and 1894, he purchased properties in the area from Robert Allison and associates. This may have been the future site of his factory. (See Hamilton County Deed Books 688, page 554, and 689, page 286.)

According to "History of Cincinnati and Hamilton County, Ohio, 1894," by S. B. Nelson and Company, Bullock had an interest in one of the railroads near the site of the future factory. In 1894, the Board of Directors of the Cincinnati, Lebanon & Northern Railway Company consisted of George Hafer, the president and treasurer, George Bullock, Theodore Cook, Thomas J. Emery, A. S. Winslow, Joseph B. Thoms and L. C. Weir. Only three or four years later, George Bullock would move his Bullock Electric Manufacturing Company to Forest Avenue in Norwood, as Norwood's first factory.

The 1901 Williams Cincinnati Directory lists the following information about the company:
     Bullock Electric Manufacturing Co.
	Geo. Bullock, Pres. & Treasurer
	J. S. Neave, V.P.
	J. W. Bullock, Secretary (George's brother, James)
	Wm. Cooper, Superintendent
	Office & Factory, E. Norwood
	Telephones, North 1030 and North 606
	Geo. office, 109 E 5th
	     h.  2915 Vernon Place
The Bullock employees may have had the earliest company baseball teams in Norwood. In the "Amateur Notes" section of the Cincinnati Times-Star's Sporting News column on Tuesday, April 25, 1899, they put notice out that they were ready to take on opponents.
	 "The baseball nine of  the Bullock Electric
	Manufacturing  company of  East Norwood, are
	desirous to book games with shop teams in or
	out of  the city.  The shop and office teams
	played  Saturday  afternoon.  The shop  team
	won.  Score 7 to 4."

In March 1904, Allis-Chalmers of Milwaukee (a company incorporated only three years prior) "leased" the Bullock company. The reported arrangement was that the two companies would be operated as one interest and the top officers of the new Bullock Electric Manufacturing Company would continue to be George Bullock, President, and Joseph S. Neave, Vice President. In October 1905, Allis-Chalmers officially acquired Bullock. However, Bullock's Ohio charter was not cancelled until 1928. For the next two years, the Norwood facility was called the "Bullock Works" of Allis-Chalmers. At the same time that Allis-Chalmers was absorbing Bullock, rival General Electric obtained control of Allis-Chalmers by purchasing the majority of that company's common stock

In 1978, Allis-Chalmers formed a join venture with Siemens A.G. and, in 1985, was acquired by Siemens. The current Norwood location is called the Industrial Product Unit of Siemens Energy and Automation.