Allison North School building was originally Norwood's first full four-year high school. Prior to its opening in 1897, Norwood students wanting a high school education had to attend a Cincinnati high school—the cost of which was carried by the Norwood School system. (For a period, the first two years of high school instruction were offered at the old Central School.)
In 1914, when a new high school was constructed on Sherman Avenue (now the middle school), the Allison Street eight-room high school was converted to a elementary school. At the same complex, to the south, was a twelve-room elementary school. When the old high school was built it had an auditorium on the third floor, but over the years that was made into smaller laboratory rooms. When the building was converted into elementary use, the auditorium was restored. On February 12, 1917, the building was destroyed by fire. Another grade school was then built at the site.