On the 4th. day of December 1867, Farlin Ball, aged 79 years, 7 months and 1 day. This venerable man, whose sudden deaath has caused much senation in the two Villiages where he was well known, he was born in the state of Virginia on the 3rd. day of May 1788. When a young man he emigrated with this parents to the then New Northwest Territory, and settled in what subsequently became Jefferson County, Ohio. There he married and raised a large family, and spent the greater part of his life. In 1849 he moved to this state, and in 1850 settled in the town of Jefferson, where he remained until his death. His ancestors were English, Quakers, from whom he inherited the equanimity, firmness and stability of character peculiar to that class of Christians. Nearly sixty years ago he united with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and for that long period maintained an unblemished Christian character. He ardently loved the Church of his choise. And was one of its firmest pillars. His life presented that beautiful eveness and simplicity which is the resutlt of holy living. His death was extremely sudden, for he ate his supper, as usual, at night, and died at one O'Clock the next morning. But such was his spirit and life that he was "Always Ready." Often during the last years of his life he expressed a desire to join members of his family who had died in Holy Triumph and of whose Bliss at one time he had a very remarkable view. In his care, "To live was Christ, and to die was Gain." A very able and appropriate sermon was prieached at his funeral, in the Baptist church at Juda, on Sunday morning, by the venerable John Stewart; Also a sermon in the evening, in the Methodist Chruch in Monroe, by his Pastor, Rev. H. H. Brakman.---What earth has lost Heaven has gained.
1. James Moores Ball b: 11 May 1812 in Richmond Jeff Co. OH d: 1897 in Waterloo, Iowa married to Martha Glover b: in Hartleton, Union Co. Pa. d: 11 Jan 1906 in Waterloo, Iowa m: in Baltimore, Maryland, James married second to Keturah Ford b: 31 Jan 1811 in Salem Twp. Jeff Co. Oh. d: 1 Aug 1861 in Monroe, Wis m: 1 Mar 1831 in Jeff. Co. Oh.
2 Rebecca Ball b: 24 Nov 1814 in Richmond Jeff Co. OH d: Aug 1835 in Jeff Co Oh
3 Sarah T. Ball b: 18 Jun 1816 in Richmond, Jeff. Co. Oh. d: 1894 in Unionport, Wayne Twp. Jeff Co. Oh. married to David Maxwell b: 18 Dec 1810 in Reeds Mills, Cross Creek, Jeff. Co. Oh. d: 19 Dec 1891 in Reeds Mill, Cross Creek, Jeff Co. Oh. m: 6 Feb 1834 in Jeff Co. Oh. Father: Charles Maxwell Mother: Sarah
4 David Wakeman Ball b: 15 Oct 1818 in Richmond Jeff Co. OH married to Catherine Smock b: 8 Mar 1820 d: 11 Jan 1886
5. John Ball b: 1 Jun 1821 in Richmond, Jeff. Co. Oh. d: 27 Jul 1822 in Jeff Co Oh
6. Elizabeth Ball b: 10 Oct 1823 in Richmond Jeff Co. OH
7. Ruth Ball b: 18 Apr 1826 in Richmond Jeff Co. OH d: 23 Aug 1893 in Green Co. Wis. married to David Watt
8. Elizanah Ball b: 12 Aug 1828 in Richmond Jeff Co. OH
9. Deliverince H. Ball b: 7 Feb 1831 in Richmond Jeff Co. OH d: 24 Apr 1912 married to Richard Durdgeon m: 14 Oct 1851
10 Henry Ball b: 7 Feb 1831 in Jeff Co Oh d: 14 Feb 1834 in Jeff Co Oh
11 Farlin Moore Ball b: 27 Jun 1835 in Richmond, Jeff. Co. OH. d: 24 Oct 1874 in Payne Cr. Tehama Co. Ca. married to Rachel Adelaide Miller b: 26 Feb 1830 in New York d: 20 Jun 1920 in Tehama, Co. Ca. m: Bef. 1851
Contributed by Donna (Maxwell) Tivener