Historical Collections of Ohio pgs 758-765
Historical Collections of Ohio: Pages 758-765
| Hamilton County OhioHistorical Collections of Ohio index page |

~ pg. 758 ~

Early Incidents.

The few following pages are devoted to incidents which transpired within the city and county up to the time of issue of the edition of 1847. They were derived mainly from newspapers and other publications.

Adventure of Jacob Wetze, the Indian Hunter,—The road along the Ohio river,  leading to Storrs and Delhi, some four hundred yards below the junction of Front and Fifth streets, crosses what, in early days, was the outlet of water-course, and notwithstanding the changes made by the lapse of years, and the building improvements adjacent, the spot still possess many features of its original surface, although now divested of its forest character.  At the period of this adventure—October 7, 1790—besides the dense forest of maple and beech, its heavy undergrowth of spice-wood and grape-vine


made it an admirable lurking-place for the savage beasts, and more savage still, the red men of the woods.

WETZEL had been out on his accustomed pursuit—hunting—and was returning to town, at that time a few cabins and huts collected in the space fronting the river, and extend-ing from Main street to Broadway. He had been very successful, and was returning to procure a horse to bear a load too heavy for his own shoulders, and, at the spot alluded to, had sat down on a decaying tree-trunk to rest himself, and wipe the sweat front his brow, which his forcing his way through the brush had started, cool as was the weather, when he heard the rustling of leaves and branches, which betokened  that an animal or an enemy was approaching. Silencing the growl of his dog, who sat at his feet, and appeared equally conscious of danger, he sprang behind a tree and discovered the dark form of an Indian, halt hidden by the body of a large oak, who had his rifle in his hands, ready for any emergency that might require  the use of it—as he, too, appeared to be on his guard, having heard the low growling of the dog. At this instant, the dog also spied the Indian and barked aloud, which told the Indian of the proximity of his enemy. To raise his rifle was but the work of a moment, and the distinct cracks of two weapons  were heard almost at the same time. The Indian’s fell from his hands, as the ball of the hunter’s had penetrated and broken the elbow of his left arm, while the hunter escaped unhurt. Before the Indian could possibly reload his rifle in his wounded condition, WETZEL had rushed swiftly  upon him with his knife, but not before the Indian had drawn his. The first thrust was parried off by the Indian with he greatest skill, and the shock was so great in the effort that the hunter’s weapon was thrown some thirty feet from him. Nothing daunted, he threw himself upon the Indian with all his force and seized him around the body; at the same time encircling the right arm, in which the Indian still grasped his knife. The Indian, however, was a very muscular fellow, and the conflict now seemed doubtful indeed. The savage was striving with all his might to release his arm, in order to use his knife. In their struggle, their feet became interlocked, and they both fell to the ground, the Indian uppermost, which extri-cated the Indian’s arm from the iron grasp of the hunter. He was making his greatest endeavors to use his knife, but could not, from the position in which they were lying, as WETZEL soon forced him over on his right side, and, consequently, he could have no use of his arm.

Just at this point of the deadly conflict, the Indian gave an appalling yell, and, with renewed strength, placed his enemy under-neath him again, and with a most exulting cry of victory, as he sat upon his body, raised his arm for that fatal plunge. WETZEL saw death before his eyes, and gave himself up for lost, when, just at this most critical junc-ture, his faithful dog, who had not been an uninterested observer of the scene, sprang forward and seized the Indian with such force by the throat, as caused the weapon to fall harmless from his hand. WETZEL, seeing such a sudden change in his fate, made one last and desperate effort for his life, and threw the Indian front him. Before the prostrate savage had time to recover himself, the hunter had seized his knife, and with re-doubled energy rushed upon him, and with his foot firmly planted on the Indian’s breast, plunged the weapon up to the hilt in his heart. The savage gave one convulsive shudder, and was no more.

As soon as WETZEL had possessed himself of his rifle, together with the Indian’s weapons, he started immediately on his way. He had gone but a short distance when his ears were assailed by the startling whoop of a number of Indians. He ran eagerly for the river, and, fortunately, finding a canoe on the beach near the water, was soon out of reach, and made his way, without further danger, to the cove at the foot of Sycamore street.

The Indians came up to the place of the recent reencounter, and discovered the body of a fallen comrade. They gave a most hideous yell when, upon examination, they recognized in the dead Indian the features of one of their bravest chiefs.

O.  M. SPENCER Taken Captive.—In July,1792, two men, together with Mrs. COLEMAN and Oliver M. SPENCER, then a lad, were returning in a canoe from Cincinnati to Columbia; they were fired upon by two Indians, in ambush on the river bank; one of the men was killed, and the other, a Mr. LIGHT, wounded. Mrs. COLEMAN jumped front the canoe into the river, and without making any exertions to swim, floated down nearly two miles. It is supposed she was borne up by her dress, which, according to the fashion of that time, consisted of a stuffed quilt and other buoyant robes. SPENCER was taken and carried captive to the Maumee, where he remained about eight months and was ransomed. A narrative of his captivity, written by himself, has been published by the Methodists, [For some further details see Defiance County.]

Scalping of Col. Robert ELLIOTT.—In 1794 Col. Robert ELLIOTT, contractor for supplying the United States army, while traveling  with his servant from Fort Washington to Fort Hamilton, was waylaid and killed by the Indians, at the big hill, south of where Thomas FLEMING lived, and near the line of Hamilton and Butler counties. When shot, he fell from his horse. The servant made his escape by putting his horse at full speed, followed by that of ELLIOTT’S into Fort Hamil-ton. The savage who shot the colonel, in haste to take his scalp, drew his knife, and seized him by the wig which he wore. To his astonishment, the scalp came off at the first, touch, when he exclaimed, ‘‘dam lie!” In a few minutes, the surprise of the party was over, and they made themselves merry at the expense of their comrade. The next


day, a party from the fort, under the guid-ance of the servant, visited the spot placed the body in a coffin and proceeded about their way to Fort Washington. About a mile south of Springdale they were fired upon by Indians, and the servant, who was on the horse of his late master, was shot at the first fire. The party retreated, leaving the body of Elliott with the savages, who had broken open the coffin, when the former rallied, re-took the body arid carried it, with that of the servant, to Cincinnati, and buried there side by side in the Presbyterian cemetery, on Twelfth street. Several years after, a neat monument was erected, with the following inscription:

In memory of
Near this point,
While in the service of his country,
Placed by his son,
Com. J. D. Elliott, U. S. Navy

A Witch Story—About the year 1814, one of our most wealthy and respectable farmers of Mill creek, who had taken great pains and expended much  money in procuring and pro-pagating a fine breed of horses, was unfortu-nate in losing a number of them, by a dis-temper which appeared to be of a novel character. As the disease baffled - all his skill, he soon became satisfied that it was the result of witchcraft. Under that impression, he consulted such persons as were reputed to have a knowledge of sorcery, or who pretended to be fortune-tellers. These persons instructed him how to proceed to discover and destroy the witch. One of the experi-ments he was directed to make was to boil certain ingredients, herbs, et cetera, over a hot fire, with pins and needles in the caul-dron, which, he was told, would produce great mental and bodily distress in the witch or wizard. He tried that experiment, and while the pot was boiling furiously, placed himself in his door, which overlooked the principal part of his farm, including the field in which his horses were kept. It so happened, that, while standing in the door, he saw his daughter-in-law, who lived in a cabin about eighty rods from his own house, hasten-ing to the spring for a bucket of water. His imagination connected that hurried movement with his incantation so strongly, that he immediately ordered his son to move his family from the farm.

From some cause, he had formed an opinion that a Mrs. GARRISON, an aged woman, in feeble health, fast sinking to the grave, living some eight or ten miles from his farm,  was the principle agent in the destruction of his horses.  He had frequently expressed that opinion in the neighborhood. Mrs. GARRISON had heard of it, and, as might be expected, her feelings were injured and her spirits much depressed by the slanderous report.   One of time charms he had been directed to try was to shoot a silver bullet at a horse while the witch was evidently in him. This he was told would kill the witch and cure the animal.  He accordingly prepared a silver ball, and shot it at a very fine brood-mare which was affected by the distemper. The mare, of course, was killed and as it so happened that, in a very short time after, Mrs. Garrison died, the experiment was declared to be successful, and the experimenter r believes to this day that his silver bullet killed the poor old woman. However that may be, his slanderous report had a great effect on her health, and no doubt hastened her death. — Burnet’s Notes.

EXPLOSION OF THE MOSELLE. —The new and elegant steamboat, Moselle, Captain PERKIN, left the wharf in Cincinnati, April 26, 1838 (full of passengers), for Louisville and St. Louis; and, with the view of taking a family on board at Fulton, about a mile and a half above the quay, proceeded up the river and ,and fast  to a lumber raft for that purpose. Here the family was taken on board and, during the whole time of their detention, the captain had madly held on to all the steam that he create, with the intention, not only of showing off to the best advantage the great speed of his boat, as it passed down the entire length of the city, but that he might overtake and pass another boat which had left the wharf for Louisville. But a short time previous. As time Moselle was a new brag boat, and had recently made several exceedingly quick trips to and from Cincin-nati, it would not do to risk her popularity for speed, by giving to another boat (even though that boat had the advantage of time and distance) the most  remote chance of be-ing the first to arrive at the destined port. This insane policy—-this poor ambition of proprietors and captains-- has almost inevita-bly tended to the same melancholy results. The Moselle had but just parted from the lumber raft to which she had been fast—her wheels had scarcely made their first revolution—-when her boilers burst with an awful and astounding noise, equal to the most violent clap of thunder. The explosion was destructive and heart-rending in the extreme; heads, limbs and bodies were seen flying through the air in every direction, attended with the most horrible shrieks and groans from the wounded and dying. The boat, at the time of the accident, was about thirty feet from the shore, and was rendered a perfect wreck. It scented to be entirely shattered as far back as the gentlemen’s cabin; and her hurricane deck, the whole length, was entirely swept away. The boat immediately began to sink, and float with a strong current down the river, at the same time receding farther from the shore—while

~ 761 ~

the passengers, who yet remained unhurt in the gentlemen’s and ladies’ cabins, became panic-struck, and most of them, with a fatuity which seems unaccountable, jumped into the river. Being above the ordinary business parts of the city, there were no boats at hand, except a few large and unmanageable wood-floats, which were carried to the relief of the sufferers, as soon as possible, by the few persons on the shore. Many were drowned, however, before they could be rescued, and many sunk, who were never seen afterwards. There was one little boy on the shore who was seen wringing his hands in agony, imploring those present to save his father, mother and three sisters—all of whom were struggling in the water to gain the shore— but whom the little fellow had the awful misfortune to see perish, one by one, almost within his reach; an infant child, belonging to the family, was picked up alive, floating clown the river on one of the fragments of the hurricane deck.

The boat sunk about fifteen minutes after the explosion, leaving nothing to be seen but her chimneys and a small portion of her upper works.

The “Moselle’’ was crowded with pas-sengers from stern to stern, principally Ger-mans, bound to St. Louis. Nearly all on board (with the exception of those in the ladies’ cabin) were killed or wounded. Most of the sufferers were among the hands of the boat and the steerage passengers. The captain was thrown by the explosion into the street and was picked up dead and dreadfully mangled. Another man was forced through the roof of one of the neighboring houses
the pilot was thrown about a hundred feet into the air, whence he fell and found his grave in the river; and many were the limbs and other fragments of human bodies which were scattered about upon the river and far along the shore. The number destroyed by the explosion was estimated at over 200 persons.

The Asiatic Cholera.--This dreaded pestilence first visited the United States in 1832 and broke out in October of that year. The total number of deaths by it in Cincinnati was, as reported, 351. [The most fatal year of its visitation was in 1849, when out of a population of 116,000 the total deaths were 8,500. The deaths among the Germans and Irish were one in sixteen persons and among the Americans one in fifty-six. The causes of these results were doubtless owing to the different modes of living. The greatest mortality was in the hot month of July, yet great fires were made in some streets, but the disease went on with it fearful fatality and ‘‘ the long funerals blackened all the way.”]

The Great Freshet of February, 1832.--The Ohio river commenced rising at this place about the 9th inst. On the 12th it began to swell over the banks and on the 14th many merchants and others near the river were compelled to remove their goods to the second story of their houses. It continued to rise rapidly till Saturday morning, February 18th when it came to a stand, having risen sixty-three feet above low water-mark.  Differences of opinion exist as to its comparative height with the rises of 1792 and 1815.  About noon, on the 18th it commences falling very slowly and yet continues to fall.  In the course of two or three days it probably will be confined within its banks.

The rise was of the most distressing character. It carried desolation into all the lower parts of the city. Hundreds of families were turned houseless upon the community. During the early part of the rise many in the lower part of the city were awakened at night by the water pouring in upon them and were obliged to fly; others betook themselves to the upper stories and were brought away in boats the next morning. Many families continue to reside in the upper part of their dwellings, making use of boats in going from and returning to their stores and houses.

 We have heard of the death of but two in-dividuals, Mr. John HARDING and Mr. William AULSBROOK; the former a man of family, the latter a single man. They were in the employ of Mr. William TIFT, of this city, and lost their lives in endeavoring to keep the water out of his cellar.  While at work the back wall of the building gave way the cellar filled in an instant and they were unable to get out. They both were very worthy men.

The water extended over about thirty-five squares of the thickly settled part of the city, from John street on the west to Deer creek on tee east, and north to Lower Market and Pearl streets. The distance of about a mile west of John street was likewise sub-merged. This part, of the city, however, is but thinly settled.

The amount of damage sustained by merchants, owners of improved real estate and others cannot be correctly ascertained. Many houses have floated away, a great number have moved from their foundations and turned over; many walls have settled so as to injure the houses materially, and a great quantity of lumber and other property has
floated off. The large bridge over the mouth of Mill creek floated away, and that over Deer creek is much injured. Thousands and tens of thousands of dollars worth of dry goods, groceries, etc, have been destroyed or materially injured. Business of almost every description was stopped; money became scarce and wood and flour enormously

Active measures were taken by the citizens for the relief of the sufferers. A town meeting was held at the council chamber on the 15th inst. G. W. JONES was appointed chairman Samuel H. GOODIN secretary.  On motion a committee of fifteen (three from a ward) was appointed to take up collections for the relief of the sufferers, consisting of’ the following persons E. HULSE, N. G. PENDLETON,  E. C. SMITH, J. W. GAZLAY,  Jno. WOOD, W. JONES, G.W. JONES, W. G. ORR W.



A committee of vigilance was also ap-pointed, whose duty it was to remove per-sons and goods surrounded with water. The following persons composed that committee:    J. PIERCE, WM PHILLIPS, and Saml. FOSDICK, Wm STEPHENSON, Chas. FOX, Henry TATEM  I. A. BUTTERFIELD, Jas. MC INTYRE, N. M. WHITTEMORE, M. COFFIN, Jas. MC LEAN, J. ANNTUCK, .J D. GARARD, A. G. DODD and Fullom PERRY.

T. D. CARNEAL, J. N. MASON, J C. AVERY. Chas. FOX and R. BUCHANAN were appointed a committee to procure shelter for those whose houses were rendered untenable. On motion it was resolved that persons who may need assistance be requested to make applica-tion to the council chamber, where members of the committee of vigilance shall rendez-vous and where one or more shall at all times remain for the purpose of affording relief. At a subsequent meeting twenty were added to the committee of vigilance.

It gives us pleasure to state that the in em-bers of the foregoing committees most faith-fully discharged their respective duties. A provision house was opened by the committee of vigilance, on Fourth street, where meats, bread, wood, clothes, etc., were liberally given to all who applied. The ladies sup-ported their well-known character for benevolence by contributing clothing and food to the sufferers. The committee appointed to collect funds found the citizens liberal in their donations. All who had vacant houses and rooms cheerfully appropriated them to the use of those made homeless. Public buildings, school-houses and basement stories of churches were appropriated to this pur-pose. Mr. BROWN, of the amphitheatre, Mr. FRANKS, proprietor of the gallery of paint-ings, Mr. R. LETTON, proprietor of the Mu-seum, appropriated the entire proceeds of their houses, the first on the night of the 17th the second on the 18th, and the third on that of the 20th, for the relief of the sufferers. The Beethoven society of sacred music also gave a concert for the same purpose, in the Second Presbyterian church, on Fourth street, on the night of the 24th.

Destruction of the Philanthropist newspaper printing office by a mob, July 30, 1836.—The paper had then been published in Cin-cinnati about three months, and was edited by James G. BIRNEY. As early as the 14th of July, the press-room was broken open and the press and materials defaced and destroyed. July 23rd a meeting of citizens was convened at the lower market-house “to decide whether they will permit the publication or distribution of abolition papers in this city.’’ This meeting appointed a committee, which opened a correspondence with the conductors of that print—the executive committee of the Ohio Anti-slavery Society—requesting them to discontinue its publication. This effort being unsuccessful, the committee of citizens published the correspondence, to which they appended a resolution, in one clause of which they stated, “That in discharging their duties they have used all the measures of persuasion and conciliation in their power. That their exertions have not been successful the above correspondence will show. It only remains, then, influence of their instructions, to publish their proceedings and adjourn without day. But ere they do this, they owe it to themselves, and those whom they represent, to express their utmost abhorrence of everything like violence, and earnestly to implore  their fellow-citizens to abstain therefrom.’’ The sequel is thus given by a city print.

On Saturday night, July 30th, very soon after dark, a concourse of citizens assembled at the corner of Main and Seventh streets in this city, and upon a short consultation, broke open the printing office of the Philanthropist, the abolition paper, scattered the type into the streets, tore down the presses and completely dismantled the office. It was owned by A. PUGH, a peaceable and orderly printer, who printed the Philanthropist for the Anti-slavery Society of Ohio. From the printing office the crowd went to the house of A. PUGH, where they supposed there were other printing materials, but found none, nor offered any violence. Then to the Messrs. DONALDSON’S, where only ladies were at home. The residence of Mr. BIRNEY, the editor, was then visited no person was at home but a youth, upon whose explanations the house was left undisturbed.

A shout was raised for Dr. COLBY’S, and the concourse returned to Main street, pro-posed to pile up the contents of the office in the Street and make a bonfire of them. A gentleman mounted the pile and advised against burning it, lest the houses near might take fire. A portion of the press was then dragged down Main street, broken up and thrown into the river. The Exchange was then visited and refreshments taken. After which the concourse again went up Main Street to about opposite the Gazette office. Some suggestions were hinted that it should be demolished, but the hint was overruled. An attack was then made upon the residences of some blacks in Church alley; two guns were fired upon the assailants and they recoiled. It was supposed that one man was wounded, but that was not the case. It was some time before a rally could again be made, several voices declaring they did not wish to endanger themselves. A second attack was made, the houses found empty and their interior contents destroyed. . . . On the afternoon of August 2d, pursuant to a call, a very large and respectable meeting of citizens met at the court-house and passed a series of resolutions, the first of which was “that this meeting deeply regret the cause of the recent occurrences, and entirely disapprove of mobs or other unlawful assemblages.” The concluding resolution was approbatory of the course of the colonization society, and expressed an opinion that it was the only method of getting clear of slavery.”

Negro Riot of September, 1841.—This city


has been in a most alarming condition for several days, and from 8 o’clock on Friday evening until 3 o’clock yesterday [Sunday] morning almost entirely at the mercy of a lawless mob, ranging in number from 200 to 1500.

On Tuesday evening last, as we are informed, a quarrel took place on the corner of Sixth street and Broadway, between a party of Irishmen and some negroes; some two or three of each party were wounded. On Wednesday night the quarrel was renewed in some way, and some time after midnight a party of excited then, armed with clubs, etc., attacked a house occupied as a negro board-ing-house on Macalister street, demanding the surrender of a negro whom they said was secreted in the house, and uttering the most violent threats against the house and the negroes in general. Several of the adjoining houses were occupied by negro families. The violence increased and was resisted by those in or about the houses—an engagement took place, in which several were wounded on each side. On Thursday night another encounter took place in the neighborhood of the Lower Market between some young men and boys and some negroes, in which one or two boys were badly wounded, as was supposed, with knives.

On Friday evening before 8 o’clock a mob, the principal organization of which, we understand, took place in Kentucky, openly assembled in Fifth street market, unmolested by the police or citizens. They marched from their rendezvous towards Broadway and Sixth street, armed with clubs, stones, etc.  Reaching the scene of operation with shouts and blasphemous imprecations they attacked a negro confectionery in Broadway, next to the synagogue, and demolished the doors and windows. This attracted an immense crowd.

About this time, before 9 o’clock, they were addressed by J. W. PIATT, who exhorted them to peace and obedience to the law but his voice was drowned by shouts and throwing of stones. The mayor also attempted to ad-dress them. The savage yell was instantly raised:  “Down with him! run him off,” were shouted and intermixed with horrid imprecations and exhortations to the mob to move onward. A large portion of the leading disturbers appeared to be strangers—some connected with river navigation and backed by boat hands of the lowest order. They ad-vanced to the attack with stones, etc. and were repeatedly fired upon by the negroes.  The mob scattered, but immediately rallied again, and again were in like manner repulsed.

Men were wounded on both sides and carried off—and  many reported dead. The negroes rallied several times advanced upon the crowd, and most unjustifiably fired down the street into it, causing a great rush down the street. These things, were repeated until past 1 o’clock when a party procured an iron six pounder front near the river, loaded with boiler punchings, etc., and hauled it to the ground, against the exhortations of the mayor and others. It was posted on Broadway and pointed down Sixth street. The yells continued, but there was a partial cessation of firing. Many of the negroes had fled to the hills. The attack upon the houses was recommenced with the firing of guns upon both
sides, which continued during most of the night and exaggerated rumors of the killed and wounded filled the streets. The cannon was discharged several times. About 2 o’clock a portion of the military, upon the call of the mayor, proceeded to the scene and disorder and succeeded in keeping the mob at bay.  In the morning and throughout the day several blocks, including the battle-ground, were surrounded with sentinels and kept under martial law—keeping within the negroes there, add adding to them it such as were  brought in during the day for pro-tection.

A meeting of citizens was held at the court--house on Saturday morning, which was ad-dressed by the mayor and others, and a series of resolutions passed discountenancing mobs—invoking the aid of the civil authorities to stay the violence, repudiating the doctrines of the abolitionists, etc. The city council also held a special session to concert measures to vindicate the majesty of the law and re-store peace to the city. Intense excitement continued during the day, the mob and their leaders boldly occupying the streets without arrest. The negroes held a meeting in a church and respectfully assured the mayor and citizens that they would use every effort to conduct as orderly citizens, to suppress imprudent conduct among their own people, etc. They expressed their readiness to conform to time law of 1807, and give bond, or to leave within a specified time—and tendered their thanks to the mayor, watch, officers and gentlemen of the city for the efforts made to save their prop-erty, their lives, their wives and children.

At 3 P.M. the mayor, sheriff, marshal and a portion of the police, proceeded to the battle-ground, and there, under the protection of the military, though in the presence of the mob, and so far controlled by them as to prevent the taking away of any negroes upon their complying with the law, several of the negroes gave bond and obtained permission  go away with their sureties, who were some of our most respectable citizens, but were headed even within the military sentinels, and compelled to return within the ground. It was resolved then to embody the male negroes and march them to jail for security under the protection of the civil and military authority. From 250 to 300 were accordingly escorted to that place with difficulty, surrounded by the military and officers, and a dense mass of men, women and boys, con-founding all distinction between the orderly and disorderly, accompanied with deafen-ing yells. They were safely lodged, and still remain in prison, separated from their families. The crowd was in that way dispersed.

The succeeding night the military were ordered out, the firemen were out, clothed with authority as a police band. About eighty citizens enrolled themselves as assist


ants of the marshal. A troop of horse and several companies of volunteer infantry continued on duty until near midnight. Some were then permitted to sleep upon their arms, others remained on duty until morning guard-ing the jail, etc.

As was anticipated, the mob, efficiently organized, early commenced operations, divid-ing their force and making their attacks at different points, thus distracting the attention of the police. The first successful onset was made upon the printing office of the Philanthropist. They succeeded in entering the establishment, breaking up the press, and running with it amid savage yells, down through Main street to the river, into which it was thrown. The military appeared in the alley near the office, interrupting the mob for a short time. They escaped through the by-ways, and when the military retired, returned to their work of destruction in the office, which they completed. Several houses were broken open in different, parts of the city, occupied by negroes, and the windows, doors and furniture completely destroyed. Among these was the negro church on Sixth street. One of the last efforts was to fire or other-wise destroy the book establishment of Messrs. TURMAN SMITH, on Main street. From this they were driven by the police, and soon after, before daylight, dispersed from mere exhaustion.

It is impossible to learn either the number of killed and wounded on either side prob-ably several were killed and twenty or thirty variously wounded, though but few danger-ously. Several of the citizen-police were hurt with stones, etc. the authorities succeeded in arresting about forty of the mob, who are now in prison. The mob was in many cases encouraged and led on by persons from Kentucky. About 11 o’clock on Saturday night a bonfire was lighted on that side of the river, and loud shouts sent up as if a great triumph had been achieved. In some cases the motions of the mob were directed and managed by mere boys, who suggested the points of attack, put the vote, declared the result and led the way!  After all the negro men had been disarmed and committed to prison for safe-keeping, under a solemn pledge that their wives and children should be protected, a band of white men were per-mitted to renew their brutal attacks upon these females and children. The excitement continued yesterday. The governor, who had arrived in town, issued his proclamation.  The citizens rallied with spirit to aid the city authorities. Strong patrols of military and citizens last night prevented any further out-break.

Bank Mob, Jan. 11, 1842.—Monday even-ing, the Miami Exporting Company Bank its effects and on Tuesday morning (January 11) the Bank of Cincinnati closed doors. Early in the morning, the crowd, in consequence of their failure, began to collect around the doors of these institutions, and by 11 o’clock had broken into them, destroying all the movable property and whatever of books or papers could be laid hold of. About this time ten of the city guards, headed by their brave captain, MITCHELL, appeared, drove the rioters away and, for a time, gallantly maintained their position but they were called off. On retiring, they were assailed— they fired, and wounded some one or two persons. The mob had, with this exception, undisputed possession of the city, and commenced, first aim attack upon Babes’ Ex-change Bank, and after that, upon Lougee’s exchange office, both of which they destroyed, making in havoc of everything which was at all destructible.

Distressing Fire, Feb. 28, 1843 —On Satur-day morning, about 5 o’clock, a fire broke out in the smoke-house of Messrs. PUGH & ALVORD, at the corner of Walnut street and the canal, which, in its consequences, has been one of the most distressing that ever occurred in this city. The smoke-house was in the rear and somewhat detached from the main building, being connected with it only by a wooden door and narrow passage-way, through which the meat was usually wheeled. It was thought the fire could be confined to the former, and for that purpose the pork- house was closed as tight as possible, by shutting all the doors and windows, to exclude a rush of air to feed the flames.

In the course of half an hour, the main building was filled with smoke, rarefied air and inflammable gas from the smoke-house and when the flames burst through the wooden door connecting the two buildings, an instantaneous roar of flame was perceived, and in the twinkling of an eye, the whole of this spacious, substantial building was a mass of ruins. The whole roof was lifted in the air and thrown into the streets in large fragments—the second story walls, on the north and south sides, were thrown down, and the whole eastern end of both stories fronting on Walnut street blown into the streets from its foundation up. The appear-ance of the explosion was awfully terrific, and its consequences fatal to several of our most estimable citizens. We annex the names of the killed arid severely wounded, as far as we can now ascertain them. Killed—Joseph BONSALL, Caleb W. TAYLOR, H. S. EDMANDS, J. S. CHAMBELAIN, H. 0. MERRILL, John OHE, a German laborer, with two or three other German laborers. Wounded severely— George SHILLITO,  H. Thorpe, T. S. SHAEFFER,  Mr. ALVORD, (of the firm of PUGH & ALVORD), Samuel SCHOOLEY, Warren G. FINCH, John BLAKEMORE, Lewis WISBY, John M. VANSICKLE, Joseph  TYRATT, A. OPPENHERMER, Jas. TYRATT, Robt. RICE, William H. GOODLOE.

A few minutes before the explosion, the smoke settled to the ground around the corner of time building, on the canal and Walnut street fronts, which caused the removal of the masses of people which filled those spaces, unconscious of danger. But for this, the force of the explosion being in that direction, the destruction of life would have been frightfully extensive.

On Sunday morning, a special meeting of


the city council was called, and in obedience to one of the resolutions passed is identified   for this purpose, shops were to one of the resolutions passed, the mayor issued a proclamation requesting  the business of the day on Monday, the 27th inst., and attend the funerals of the deceased.  On Monday, the court of common pleas adjourned for this purpose, shops ere closed, and the business of the day was set aside.  The bell were tolled, and little was done save to aid in performing the last sad rites of the dead.

Back to:
| Hamilton County OH Main PageHistorical Collections of Ohio index page |

©2003 by Tina Hursh & Linda Boorom