History of Hamilton Co. Index
Hamilton Co., OHGenWeb
This is the northernmost village in the township, except Madeira station, from which it is distant, straight across the country, about four miles. It is on the south side of section thirty, a mile from the northern township line and a mile and a half from the western. The Montgomery pike intersects it about two miles northeast of Norwood and five miles from Montgomery; and it is also intersected by the old Columbia and Reading road, thus making an important "cross-roads of the village. It became a post office as early as 1832. The characteristics of the place, physical and other, are well indicated by its name.
This is an ancient neighborhood for white settlement. In 1791 or '92 one of the Columbia pioneers named FERRIS, father of A. W. FERRIS, of Montgomery station, cut his way through the woods from Columbia to this
Pleasant Ridge was made a place of rendezvous during the Mexican war for the troops enlisted from that place, Montgomery, Newton, and other places. Some even from Cincinnati joined in the assemblies, parades and drills there.
The church history of this town has some points of interest. The Presbyterian society was formed about the time of the resignation of Rev. James KEMPER from the pastorate of the Cincinnati and Columbia churches, October 1, 1796, and the division of the Columbia branch into the Duck Creek and Round Bottom churches. The Pleasant Ridge church was originally the former, and retained its euphonious designation until 1818, when the name was exchanged for that now borne. The Rev. Mr. KEMPER, the pioneer preacher in Cincinnati, was the first settled pastor here, serving the people faithfully about ten years. The Rev. Daniel HAYDEN then labored with this people, and was ordained and installed pastor of this and the Hopewell churches November 17, 1810, which he served till his death, August 27, 1835. The Rev. M. J. G. MONFORT, in his historical discourse on Presbyterianism North of the Ohio, says of this minister:
Mr. HAYDEN was a plain and modest man, with a distinct utterance and great fluency, though his voice lacked melody and sweetness. He was a man of eminent ability. Dr. WILSON esteemed him as one of the ablest men of the church, and so he was generally regarded.
His successors were: Rev. Samuel J. MILLER, seven years; Rev. Edward WRIGHT, ten years; Rev. J. K. BURCH one year; Rev. Samuel HAIR, five years; Rev. Simeon BROWN (as stated supply), two years; J. P. VANDYKE, four years James MCKEE, four years; and Rev. L. A. ALDRICH.
At first the society worshipped in a log building, to which a frame addition was made. This house was located south of the present site of Pleasant Ridge, and upon Duck creek. The presbytery of Transylvania, under whose jurisdiction the church was, had forbidden it to build nearer than five miles from Cincinnati. Then came, in the fullness of time, a substantial brick house, thirty-six by fifty, built by Bartholomew FOWLER and William BAXTER. This was occupied by the Presbyterians and at times by other denominations about forty years, or until 1870, when it gave way to the present handsome structure, which was dedicated September 12, 1870. The venerable General James SAMPSON, who had been a member of the church nearly fifty years, served as master of ceremonies on this interesting occasion. The Pleasant Ridge church is the oldest now surviving in the Miami country, except the First Presbyterian of Cincinnati.
It may be here remarked that the other fragment of the Columbia church, that at Round Bottom, was ministered to during its earliest years by the Rev. Mr. KEMPER, who divided his labors between this and the Duck Creek church for some years. In October, 1801, however, he seems to have been preaching at Duck Creek and Sycamore (afterwards Hopewell), near Montgomery, and not at Round Bottom. But little is known of the subsequent. history of this church, which finally disappears from the church records in 1849.
The Baptist people of Pleasant Ridge had originally their membership in the old Duck Creek Baptist church, the pioneer Protestant church of the Northwest Territory. The society here was organized in 1856, and built its present meeting-house three years afterwards, at a cost of three thousand five hundred dollars. It has the only church bell in the village. The Rev. B. F. HARMON, now of Mount Washington, ministered to the church here for many years. The Methodist Episcopal church was also built in 1859, at a cost of three thousand dollars.
The school-house is of brick, with freestone trimmings; has a vestibule and four large rooms, each twenty-five by thirty feet, and a silver-toned bell, whose utterances are specially admired. The house is built on grounds bought in 1871 of Samuel LANGDON, and cost, with the grounds, ten thousand dollars.
The Pleasant Ridge lodge of Free and Accepted Masons was chartered October 22, 1856. Mr. Stephen W. REEDER was the first W. M., and remained in that office for seven years.
This village had two hundred
and fifty-one inhabitants by the last census.
Since the matter at the outset of this chapter was arranged and printed, we have the following curious old documents and memoranda to add, by the favor of Mr. CLASON, who has contributed so handsomely to the history of this township. The following relates to the pauperism of the old township:
At a meeting of the trustees and overseers of the poor at my house May 13, 1802, in order to settle and adjust the accounts, of the overseers of the poor, ordered to be recorded as follows: We, the trustees, having examined the accounts and settled them up to this date, and we find due to them twenty-one dollars and fifty cents.
Settled this seventh day of March, Anno Domini 1803.
The following document of April, 1801, prescribes the road districts of that day. The mention in them of localities, as then known, has special interest:
District No. I. - To Jacob BLASDEL: You are required to take the district beginning at the township line of Cincinnati below Columbia, then up to Crawfish run and through Columbia by the Tan-yard and up Crawfish to the forks. Also through Columbia to William BROWN'S meadow. Also from John WILSON'S hill ditches, and then up the Ohio to SEAMANS. By order of trustees.
District No. 2. - To Benjamin STITES: District beginning at his own house, on the Ohio and then up the road to William BROWN'S; then through Morristown and so on to Duck creek, and up said creek to the Stony ford. Also from said STITES' up the Ohio to Mrs. MERCER'S, and up the lane to FLINN's ford and through Turkey bottom. By order of trustees.
District No. 3 - To Samuel MUCHMORES: District beginning at the forks of the road above Red Bank, then BERSBY's road to Mary NAPPER's, and from FERRISES to said MUCHMORES to the east fork of Duck creek. By order of trustees.
District No. 4. - To John JONES: District beginning at the Stony ford on Duck creek; then on towards WALSMITHS to Jacob HETZLER's, and then from southwest corner of the school section on the Deerfield road and up said road to BEARSLEYS; thence on said road to the east fork of Duck creek. By order of trustees.
District No. 5. - Samuel McKEE's district beginning at the forks of BEARSLEY's road at GANO's old cabin on Duck creek; then on said road to the cross road on Deerfield road from Columbia; then up said road to where it intersects with the Cincinnati road; then down the said road to where it crosses the Columbia road, leading to A. VOHRICH's; then down said road to the beginning on Duck creek. By order of trustees.
District No. 6. - Philip JONES' district, beginning at Duck creek; then toward Columbia to Crawfish run; then turning northwardly towards A. VOHRIS's to Duck creek; then westwardly in BEARSLEY's road to Jonathan WILLIAMS'. By order of trustees.
District No. 7. - To James BAXTER, district beginning at Robert MOORE's; thence eastwardly to Duck creek; then Jonathan WILLIAMS' on Deerfield road to where it crosses Columbia road; then along said road to BAXTER'S run (this called BAXTER'S district). By order of the trustees.
District No. 8. - To Amos WHITE's district, beginning at John COMMON's field north; then south to David BERCOUNT's; then from James GREAR's to HAGERMAN's; then the Perara road from the north township line to Amos WHITE'S; also from said BRECOUNT's to WALLES's run; then from said run to Ronemus HAYNEY's on WALSMITH's road; then from said run on Madriver road to A. HAGGERMAN's; then from said run on the Perara road to Amos WHITE's. By order of trustees.
District No. 9. - To Aaron SACKETT's district, beginning at WALLACE's run; thence to A. VORICHE's, taking Columbia road to BAXTER's run; also from A. VORICHE's to John R. MILLS', and then the line between Stephen FLIME's and said MILLS together with all the road in Columbia township between Samuel BUNNEL's and Cincinnati, and then from A. VORICHE's towards Ziba STIBEN's to the township line, and from Thomas HIGGENS to VORICHE's. By order of trustees.
The following is a verbatim copy of the first election held in Columbia township:
1803, April 4th
At a meeting of citizens of the township held at the [house omitted in record] Thomas FRAZIER's, in Columbia, on April 4th, 1803, the following officers were elected, viz:
Saml. SHEPERD, chairman.
Jas. MORON, clerk.
N. Sheperd ARMSTONG,
John ELLIOT, Sworn into office Trustees
Rich'd AYRE, Overseers poor sworn into office
John WALLACE Appraiser of property sworn into office.
Hezekiah STITES, Sworn into office fence viewers.
David MCKENNEY SW.
Daniel SCHENCK SW.
Elijah STITES SW.
Thomas FRAZER SW.
Hezekiah PRICE SW.
Abner MILLS SW.
John WALLACE SW.
James WHALING, All sworn into office constables
David BLACK, Lister sworn into office.
Adrian HAGUMAN. SW.
Andrew FERRIS SW.
John LAMBERT SW.
Usual WARD SW.
Percv KITCHEL SW.
Daniel PRICE SW.
Henry KING SW.
Beniah AYRES SW.
Henry GENINGS SW.
John SEAMAN SW.
At the close of a meeting held at the house of Thomas FRAZIER, in Columbia township, April 4th, 1803, it was ordered by vote of the inhabitants that the next township meeting shall be held at the house of Calvin KITCHELL.
By order of the trustees, viz:
N. Sheperd ARMSTRONG,
J. MASON, clerk.
By the kindness and patient research of Mr. CLASON, we are enabled here to present a fuller list of the justices of the peace for Columbia than appears upon a former page, and to add most of the remainder of the civil list of the township:
Justices from 1804 to 1881. - James MASON, John ARMSTRONG, John JONES, David McGAUGHEY, William PERRY, William ARMSTRONG, E. MEEKS, Enos HURIN, Rice PRICHARD, Zacheas BIGGS, Abner APPLEGATE, James ARMSTRONG, John FERRIS, Smith CLASON, William BAXTER, William H. MOORE, Thomas B. MCCULLOUGH, Eliazer BALDWIN, John T. JONES, Ratio EVANS, E. NOBLE, William TINGLEY, George W. HOMES, Hiram BODINE, John SUMNERS, Oliver JONES, John JONES (not the same as above), John B. PRICE, James SAMPSON, Isaac N. DAVIS, Robert McMULLENS, Samuel HILL, Isaac GIFFIN, Ben. C. CONKLIN, Henry LOCKWOOD, Amos HILL, George W. MARTIN, James GIFFIN, Jeremiah CLARK, J. C. FERRIS, William HIGHLANDS, J. M. TINGLEY, F. A. HILL, James JULIEN, Leo BAILEY, L. A. HENDRICKS, Louis W. CLASON, C. S. BURNS, Claton W. MCGILL, E. W. BOWMAN, George REITER, and James B. DRAKE.
Township trustees from 1803 to 1881. - Joseph McNIGHT, N. Sheperd ARMSTRONG, John SEAMAN, John ELIOT, Cheniah CAVALT, John JONES, Peter SMITH, John MANN, John BEAZLY, Samuel HILDITCH, Usual WARD, John MCKEE, Joseph REEDER, Calvin WARD, David McGAUGHEY, John CLARK, Joseph FERRIS, John FERRIS, Lewis DRAKE, Enos HURON, William McINTIRE Abram SMITH, William ARMSTRONG, Andrew FERRIS, Richard MORGAN, William PERRY, James WARD, John ARMSTRONG, William H. MOORE, Smith CLASON, Andrew BAXTER, Andrew McMAHAN Lindley BROADWELL, John WARREN, William HIGHLANDS, Oliver JONES, John G. LEONARD, Samuel EARHART, Seth C. LINDSLEY, John JONES, Thomas CROSLY, Ira BROADWELL, Eb. WARD, Elijah REESE, Isaac GIFFIN, James D. LANGDON, James SAMPSON, Percy HOSBROOK, Eri F. JEWETT, Joseph B. MANN, John S. WILSON, Tyle CHAMBERLAIN, Zadoc WILLIAMS, Ralph REEDER, Thomas B. MCCULLOUGH, John L. HOSBROOK, C. S. EBERSOLE, J. S. LEAMING, D. S. NASH, H. F. ARMSTRONG, H. BONHAM, C. G. ARMSTRONG, J. G. FLINN, Louis W. CLASON, Thomas
John JONES, 1801 &
James MASON, 1803.
David MCGAUGHY, 1804-5-6-7 & 8.
William ARMSTRONG, 1809.
William SCHILLINGER, 1810 & 11.
Samuel JOHNSON, 1812 & 13.
Moses MORRISON, 1814-15-16-17-18-19-20 & 21.
William H. MOORE, 1822, 1823, 1824, 1825 & 1826.
John T. JONES, 1827.
Oliver JONES, 1828 & 1829.
Hiram BODINE, 1830.
William H. MOORE, 1831.
John JONES, 1832, 1833 & 1834.
Jeremiah EVERETT, 1835.
Jacob FLINN, 1836.
Jeremiah EVERETT, 1837, 1838 & 1839 & 1840.
John JONES, 1841, 1842 & 1843.
Jeffreys A. BLACK, 1844.
Francis HILL, 1845.
Henry LOCKWOOD, 1846 to 1874.
Louis W. CLASON, 1875 to 1880
N. Shephar ARMSTRONG,
John ARMSTRONG, 1805 to 1811.
James BAXTER, 1811 to 1818.
Major John FERRIS, 1819 & 1820.
Lewis DRAKE, 182I
William ARMSTRONG, 1822 to 1853, & without loss of one cent.
B. D. ASHCRAFT, 1854.
William AMMERMAN, 1855 & 1856.
Milo BLACK, 1857 to 1861.
J. Dan JONES, 1862 to 1873.
Leo FOWLER, 1874.
James JULIEN, 1875 to 1881.
Columbia is now a populous
township, the last census, that of 1880, giving it five thousand three
hundred and fifty-eight inhabitants against three thousand one hundred
and eighty-four in 1872. The-increase is largely due to its suburban
although it has a considerable farming population.
Elias HEDGES, a native of Morris county, New Jersey, purchased five hundred acres of land in Colerain township, of Dr. William BURNET and Daniel THEW, probably during the winter of 1804-5; and soon afterward she, with his wife, who, previous to their marriage was: Elizabeth GASTON, a native of the same place, and four small children, set out for the West. They travelled in a wagon - and after a journey of some seven weeks arrived at DUNLAP's Station July 4, 1805. This post was located on the tract purchased by Mr. HEDGES. At the time of his purchase, Mr. HEDGES was not able to pay for so large a tract, its cost being three thousand seven hundred and twenty dollars. So he accepted the offer of two neighbors as partners, with whom he divided his tract in proportion to the money, furnished by each, retaining about two hundred and thirty acres in the middle of the tract for himself. Here, he immediately began to clear the forest and improve his land. Mr. HEDGES continued his occupation with great energy and perseverance until December, 1813, when he became a victim of the "Cold Plague," which scourged a large portion of the west during the summer and fall of that year. Elias HEDGES was highly respected as a good neighbor and man of clear and discriminating judgment; being frequently selected as arbitrator in settling, by amicable means, disputes and contentions which at times sprang up between his neighbors. His early death, at about forty years of age was lamented by all who knew him.
Elizabeth HEDGES, wife of the preceding, survived her husband about eighteen years. They had eight children, seven of whom lived to be men and women. Sarah, their eldest, was born in 1792, and married Alexander JOHNSON early in 1816. He dying in 1822, she afterwards married Stewart McGILL, also a native of New Jersey, who is still living at the venerable age of ninety-three years. Mrs. McGILL died in 1854, respected and loved, by all who knew her. Mary, John G. and Eliza HEDGES died young. Anthony LUDLOW married Hannah A. JOHNSON in 1824, and died in 1831. His widow is still living. Stephen OGDEN married Sarah WHITE in July, 1832. They are both dead. Harriett was married to Bradbury CILLEY in 1834, and is still living, a widow. Elizabeth was born in 1813, and married David K. JOHNSON in August, 1831, died some years since. Her husband is still living at seventy-nine years of age, but during the last fifteen or eighteen years has been entirely blind. He is one of the most highly respected old gentlemen in the country. Elias and Elizabeth HEDGES lie buried at the old Colerain station, in probably the oldest burying-place in the Miami valley, and on the farm which they purchased seventy-six years ago.
Louis W. CLASON, mayor of Madisonville, and justice of the peace, also clerk of the township, was born on Indian Hill, October 11, 1823, upon the farm where he lived for fifty years, and now owns. His grandfather, Smith CLASON, emigrated from Connecticut in 1818, to Columbia township. He was a Revolutionary soldier, a companion of PUTNAM and served under him, and after he came west was township trustee and surveyor, and also held other offices. His grandfather on his mother's side was Dr. Thomas BAYUX, of France, surgeon on an English ship-of-war during the Revolution. He came to Connecticut and settled at Greenwich. The house in which he lived was built long before the Revolutionary war - was made of lime and brick imported from Holland. It is a large house of fifteen rooms, and is still standing. Mr. CLASON is a prominent and well-known citizen of Columbia township. He has held each of the positions of township trustee, township clerk, justice of the peace, and mayoralty of the town of Madisonville for a number of years, and has never been beaten in any of the political races he has run. Both parties regard him as a safe man, and thus he is kept in office constantly. He has been justice of the peace for ten years, and has during that time tried nearly one thousand cases.
William L. PERKINS, of the firm of William PERKINS & Company, manufacturers of mantels, enamelled grates, etc., Nos. 94 and 96 Elm street, Cincinnati, was born in the year 1839. His father, Rev. Lemuel B. PERKINS,
A. B. LUNBECK, of Madisonville, is travelling auditor for the Marietta & Cincinnati railroad. He was born in Chillicothe, Ohio, but his mother and grandmother (Mrs. CUTLER) live with him at Madisonville. Mr. LUNBECK went into the ticket office as sort of an apprentice some twenty years ago, and by diligent and faithful application to business has worked himself up to the high and responsible position which he has held for ten years. He was married to Miss PRICE in 1872, daughter of Hezekiah D. PRICE, carpenter and builder of that place. Mr. LUNBECK has his office on Fourth street, over the gas offices.
A. B. WARD, of Madisonville, son of Morris WARD, who came from New Jersey in 1811, was born in a log hut in this place in the year 1826. His grandfather and father came to the county when bridle paths were used as great highways. He bought land now adjoining the town. Morris WARD died in 1864, at fifty-three years of age. He farmed, and at onetime took a trip on a flatboat to New Orleans, for which services he received one hundred dollars, but after the trip down was made he found that he had either to pay one hundred dollars, to get back on a steamer (the first trip of the first boat of the kind on the river) or walk it. He chose the former conveyance, his comrades the latter, but he reached home some seven weeks before them. Mr. WARD, like his father, has lived a quiet, retired life, not caring for nor meddling with politics. He was married to Miss PEARSON, daughter of William PEARSON, an old settler of the county, in 1848, and lives on a part of the homestead farm. He was a soldier in the one hundred day service, and was encamped before Petersburgh during his stay in the army.
B. S. EBERSOLE, deceased, was a resident of Madisonville. The handsome cottage now the residence of Mrs. EBERSOLE, nee ARMSTRONG, bespeaks a style of luxury to the passer by. Mr. EBERSOLE was one of the old settlers of Columbia township. His father, Christian EBERSOLE, was a Maryland farmer, who settled near the mouth of the Little Miami in 1802. In 1808 he erected the old homestead now occupied by Thomas BROOKS. Mr. C. S. EBERSOLE was born in 1799, settled in Oakley in 1843, and in Madisonville in 1871. He died in 1881.
John BEISWARNGER, of Madisonville, was born in 1834, in Germany. He came to America in 1846. His parents dying when he was young, John was placed under the guardianship of his uncle. In 1855 he went to Kansas, where he followed his trade at brick-moulding. In 1872 he came to Madisonville, where he now lives, owner and proprietor of the Madisonville house. He also owns other property in this place.
J. S. HOFFMAN, of Columbia township, is an enterprising farmer, living on a good tract of land about one mile from Madisonville. Mr. HOFFMAN was born in Fairfield county, Ohio, near Tarlton, in 1822; moved to Cincinnati in 1848, where he was a carpenter for seventeen years, coming here in 1865. In 1860 he was married to Miss Deborah MUCHMORE, sister of C. S. MUCHMORE. His grandfather was-born on the Rhine, in Germany, but came over and settled in Virginia where Julius, father of John, was born. Julius was in the War of 1812, came to Fairfield in 1812, moving from Kentucky to that place.
Messrs. D. S. and J. A. HOSBROOK, were born near Madeira, the former in 1844 and the latter in 1850. Their grandfather, Daniel HOSBROOK, came here from New Jersey and was by occupation a surveyor. He was the first sheriff of this county. Was elected county surveyor for two terms, and was several times elected a member of the State legislature. His death occurred in 1868. John L., the father of D. S. and J. A., was born in 1817, on the place adjoining the one upon which he now resides. In 1841 he was married to Deborah FERRIS, daughter of Solomon FERRIS, one of the earliest settlers of this county. In 1842 he was elected county surveyor, which office he held for six years; and was also county engineer for several terms.
D. S. HOSBROOK studied at College Hill; was married in 1867 to Viola M. KARR, daughter of Harvey KARR, also of this county. Served in the capacity of county surveyor and county engineer from 1873 to 1879. Was on two other occasions a candidate on the Democratic ticket for county surveyor. Both of these occasions being "off" years for the Democrats he was "left" with the balance of the ticket. He is at present extensively engaged on private work, and is employed by the corporations of St. Bernard and Reading as their engineer.
J. A. HOSBROOK was educated at Delaware, Ohio. Was married in 1871 to Alice A. FOWLER, daughter of Leonard FOWLER, of Hamilton county. In 1872 he removed to Indianapolis, where he served as assistant county engineer for several years. In 1878 he returned to Madeira, to accept a position as a special engineer of this county, which appointment has since been renewed, and which he now holds. He has also the appointment of engineer for the village of Madisonville, and is a member of the Madeira board of education.
John WEIR of Madeira was born in the parish of Arbooth in the year 1822, and was a carpenter. He longed for the wilds of America and, after marrying Miss Eliza-
John D. MOORE of Madeira was born in Philadelphia, December 7, 1836, and when but two years of age his father removed to Cincinnati where he still lives, a resident of Walnut Hills. His mother died of cholera in 1849. Mr. MOORE was in the shoe business for about fifteen years, having his store on the corner of Central avenue and Sixth street. In 1857 he removed to Madeira, in which place he has built about fifteen houses. He is at present building a residence in the city of Cincinnati. In 1867 he was married to Miss Rachel MANN, daughter of Major J. B. MANN an old settler and prominent public spirited citizen of Hamilton county. He was not only an active man in the affairs of his township but also in the Methodist Episcopal church of which he was a member. He died in 1860, at the age of fifty-six years. Mrs. MOORE'S mother, Mrs. Catharine MANN, died in 1875, seventy-four years of age, at the Mann homestead, where she was born and reared.
J. H. LOCKE, principal of the public schools of Pleasant Ridge, is a native of Miami county, Ohio, and is the son of W. W. LOCKE, who is a graduate of Delaware college, Ohio, and superintendent of the public schools in the country for a period of twenty years. The younger LOCKE completed his education at New Richmond, Ohio, and immediately afterwards came to Hamilton county, where, he taught in a district near Pleasant Ridge for six years. Two years ago he was invited to take charge of the schools in this place. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and has had for several years charge of the Sabbath-school as its superintendent. He married Miss DAVIS, of Warren county, Ohio.
Lewis KENNEDY, of the firm of Lewis KENNEDY & Co., commission merchants and dealers in field seeds and grain, No. 36 Vine street, Cincinnati, Ohio, is a descendant of one of the earliest pioneer settlers of Cincinnati, his great-grandfather coming here when there were only a very few huts in the place, and before his death originating the ferry transit across the river. His son David, grandfather of Lewis, ran the boat and also a farm he owned at Pleasant Ridge, which was owned by John W. KENNEDY, Lewis' father. Lewis KENNEDY began business in Cincinnati in 1859, forming a partnership first with J. M. MCCULLOUGH, on Fifth and Main, for a period of ten years. He has been doing business on Vine street about the same length of time. He was married to Miss Delia MCCULLOUGH and has his residence in Norwood during the summer and in the city during the winter seasons. Mr. KENNEDY owns considerable property in Cincinnati and elsewhere.
John SWIFT, of Pleasant Ridge, was born in Heage, England, June 6, 1830. His grandfather, John SWIFT, owned extensive coal fields in which he employed a large force of help. He died at the age of seventy-seven, February 14, 1859. His wife, Miss Sarah HARVEY, died March 22, 1863. Thomas SWIFT, his son and father to John, was born in Heage, England, June 19, 1810. He was a manufacturer of edge tools. He married a Miss Ann SIMPKINSON, and by her had nine children six of whom are living, the eldest and youngest dying in infancy, and Charles, after he had made a brilliant record in the army, died in the year 1871. He was born in 1837; enlisted in the service and became brigade adjutant in the Fourteenth army corps. He was first lieutenant, then captain, in the Fiftieth Ohio regiment of volunteers. He afterwards served on General COOK'S staff, and was also one time brigade inspector. The family left England in 1850 for America, but before the water was crossed the mother died. They landed in New Orleans, and from there came to Cincinnati, where John SWIFT clerked in the store of J. & A. SIMPKINSON, on Lower Market street, and afterwards opened on the same street in the boot and shoe trade for himself. He went to Clermont county to superintend his farm, but after a three years' stay he came to Pleasant Ridge (1864) and settled down to a retired life. He married Miss Euretta F. WILLIAMS, of Walnut Hills, in 1859. Her parents were old settlers of the city. Her grandfather kept store and also manufactured buckskin breeches, the Indians supplying the material. Her father owned much valuable property in the city.
Samuel SWIFT is a brother of John, and is the well known wagon-maker of Pleasant Ridge. He was married to Miss Rebecca ASHBURN in 1864. He has a good trade, and is the only one in the family who is a Democrat. Mr. John SWIFT is Master Mason in the Pleasant Ridge lodge, and has also filled several of the township offices.
William FERRIS, of Mt. Lookout, a member of the firm of S. M. FERRIS & Co., Linwood, was born in the year 1825, on the fifth of October; was married twice. His first wife, Miss THOMPSON, is deceasad. His second wife was a Miss SARGENT. Mr. FERRIS is a member of the Baptist church - has himself located in nice quarters in an elegant house in Mt. Lookout, and is in easy circumstances. He has a family of four children.
John M. FERRIS, brother of S. M. and William FERRIS, is also a member of the FERRIS Manufacturing company, of Linwood, although he has his beautiful residence in Mt. Lookout. He has born January 13, 1832; was married to Miss THOMPSON, sister to his, brother's wife, and is, as all the FERRISES are, a member of the Baptist church.
Colonel Zadoc WILLIAMS, late of Mt. Lookout, was a native of Lafayette county, Pennsylvania. He came to this State with his father when quite young, in 1800. They landed first in Columbia; he afterwards bought the farm upon which the Cincinnati observatory now stands, which farm was kept in the family for seventy years before it was sold. Mr. WILLIAMS was married December 20, 1821, to Ann GIFFINS, of Red Bank. She was born in 1802, and is still living. Mr. WILLIAMS first saw the light of day in 1798, and died February 16, 1881. He was a
B. C. ARMSTRONG, of Plainville, was born in the village in which he lives in the year 1821. He has resided in the township with the exception of a few years spent in Butler county farming. His father, John A. ARMSTRONG, came here in 1800 with five of his brothers from Virginia, and bought a large tract of land at this place. These brothers, John, the father of N. S. and B. C.; Nathaniel, father of Mrs. THOMAS; William, Thomas, and Leonard were the builders of the three well known mills on the Little Miami river. Of these water powers William and John owned the lower one, at Plainville, now in possession of Mr. TURPIN, who lives in Newtown and who married Amanda ARMSTRONG, daughter of John. Thomas and Leonard owned the middle mill, and Nathaniel the upper one.
B. C. ARMSTRONG married a Miss Sarah NORRIS, of Maryland, and by her had six
children, four of whom are now living - Amanda TURPIN, of Newtown; Elizabeth EBERSOLE, of Madisonville; B. C. and N. S., of Plainville.
Mr. EBERSOLE, deceased, owned a farm at the mouth of the Little Miami, but in late years, being sorely afflicted with catarrh, retired from business.
N. S. Armstrong lives in Plainville. He was agent for the Little Miami railroad company for seventeen years, and also owned a store, but has lately sold out. He married a Miss MORTON, of Clermont county. B. C. Armstrong married Miss Martha LYONS, of Pennsylvania.
Jacob THOMAS, deceased, was born in 1802 in Chester county, Pennsylvania; came to Columbia township in 1832, and purchased a tract of land near Plainville, which he farmed until he departed this life, which occurred in 1879. He married Miss Naomi ARMSTRONG in the year 1833. She was a daughter of Nathaniel ARMSTRONG, who owned the upper mill on the Little Miami river. The mill was afterwards run by Jacob THOMAS, and was one of the three old-fashioned water-wheel powers of that kind built by the ARMSTRONG brothers in a very early day.
Back to: Columbia part 1
Columbia part 2
History of Hamilton Co. Index
Hamilton Co., OHGenWeb
©2000 by Tina Hursh & Linda Boorom