CHURCH, East Pearl Street.
This Parish celebration this year its golden jubilee, for which
extensive preparations are being made. The corner-stone was laid August
23, 1846. Rev. Louis Huber, O. S. F. and after him, Rev. B. Hengehold,
directed the building of the church. But the financial difficulties
were discouraging. On June 13, 1847, a mass-meeting was held at St.
Mary's Church and a determination made to help the new parish by
subscription, etc. The dedication ceremonies were preformed by
Archbishop Purcell, May 21, 1848, though services had been held since
the January previous, in the uncompleted building. The school house was
erected in 1865, the parsonage in 1872. Rev. H. Kemper has been pastor
since 1875. The congregation numbers 200 families.