From the personal collection of
From: Cincinnati 1851; Charles Cist; pub. 1851
Chapter IV. Social Statistics; Churches and Religious Societies. 1851; pgs. 77-82
Peter’s Cathedral, south-west corner of Plum and Eighth Streets.
Most Rev. J.B. Purcell, D.D.; Very Rev. E. T. Collins and Edward Purcell; Revs. James F. Wood and David Whelan, officate in the services of the Cathedral.
2. St. Francis
Xavier, Sycamore, west side, between Sixth and Seventh Streets.
3. St. Patrick’s, north-east
and Mill Streets.
4. St. Michael’s, Millcreek,
5. Christ Church, Fulton.
6. St. Paul’s, Lebanon Road,
7. Holy Trinity, south side
Smith and Park Sts.
8. St. Philomena’s, north side
between Pike and Butler Streets.
9. St. Mary’s.
corner Jackson and Thirteenth Streets.
10. St. Joseph’s, south-east
and Laurel Streets.
11. St. John Baptist, corner of
The last six are German Congregations.
12. Chapel Soeurs Notre Dame,
between Broadway and Sycamore.
13. Chapel Sisters of Charity,
between Plum and Western Row.
Cincinnati has been for several years an Episcopate of the Roman Catholic Church. It has recently become an Arch Diocese, the late Bishop, Dr. Purcell, having been invested with the office of Archbishop. His suffragan sees, are Detroit, Cleveland, Louisville and Vincennes.
Early Churches and Synagogues
Hamilton Co. OHGenWeb
©2000 Tina Hursh