Geauga Co. Ohio Obituaries

Geauga County Ohio Obituary Page

Following are obituaries of some early Geauga County residents, as submitted by you, the researcher. If you have an obituary of an ancestor that you would like to share with others, you may submit them to Alice Allen , Geauga Co. Coordinator. Please advise if I can post your email address with your obituary so that others may contact you for more information, and to share data.

Mosher (Mosier) Ames

(?) Nov. 2, 1837
Painesville Republican
Mosher (Mosier) Ames
(?) Nov. 9, 1837
Painesville Republican

All persons having claims against the estate of Moshure Ames, late of Claridon, deceased, are requested to present them legally proven, within one year from this date for settlement, and all persons indebted to said estate are requested to make immediate payment.
George E. White,
Claridon, Oct. 30th 1837

Mosher (Mosier) Ames was the son of Robert B.and Elizabeth Mosher Ames.
He and wife, Mary "Polly" Wilkins were early settlers in Claridon.

Mosher and Polly had sons Rueben, Elisha, Mosier + David and daughters Amy Stafford, Eunice Fletcher, Sarah Mastick, Elizabeth Houghtaling, Mary Work + Rosetta Work. His siblings in Geauga Co. were Amea Ames Ransom, Daniel Ames and Emeline Ames Elliott Stanton.

Mosher and Mary Ames are buried in the East Claridon Cemetery.

Contributed by Sandi Ransom Stoklosa

Spencer Barrows

Geauga Republican
March 21, 1875

Yesterday we committed to the dust one of our oldest and most esteemed neighbors, Spencer Barrows, at the advanced age of 88 years.  Born in the state of Maine, he spent the early portion of his life in the New England states and Eastern New York.  He, with his family came to Ohio about 48 years age, and settled in Shalersville, Portage County, and from there came into this
town, where he has lived about fifty-five years: and, for nearly that length of time, has been a believer and follower of Christ, being a member of the Congregational Church.  He leaves a widow, who is his second wife, being sister to his first, and they sisters of Jacob and Benjamin Thrasher, well known years ago throughout the county, his widow being the ony survivor of that large family.  The deceased was the father of twelve children by this first wife, eight of whom survive him, five being citizens of our county, among whom are LP and A Barrows, the former proprietor of the Grove Cheese Factory, and the latter part owner of the new steam saw-mill at the same place.  Few persons are so fortunate in their dispostion as the deceased, having many friends and no enemies, a man of few words, yet pleasant and cheerful, patient with his lot. For the last four or five years, he has been confined to the house with palsy, and he, at times, been a great sufferer, yet he has borne it  with Christian attitiude, believing that 'to live was Christ, but to die was gain.'  I could say, with one of old, as I looked upon his clay, 'Let me die the death of the righteous, and let my last end be like his.'


Note: Spencer was married first to Lydia Thrasher.  A few years after her death, he married her sister, Betsey.  He lived in the Troy area of Geauga County.

Submitted by Betty Adams

Obituary for Harvey Bassett

The Geauga Republican,
April 1, 1896, Page 1

Harvey Bassett, a former resident of Auburn for forty years, died at Chagrin Falls Sunday, 29th inst. aged 84 years. He was a man of more than ordinary intelligence and respected by all.

Contributed by

Mrs. Charles Boose

Chagrin Falls, OH
No name of paper on obit.  Death on Sept 1, 1896 
It was in the Boose Family Bible.
of Mrs. Chas. Boose - The Second Victim of Typhoid Fever.
One of the saddist deaths that has occured in Chagrin Falls for many days was of Mrs. Charles Boose, who died Sunday, September 1, of typhoid fever after a short illness, aged 27 years.  She contracted the disease from taking care of her mother and was suddenly taken from her family in the prime of life and stricken down in perfect health.  She leaves a husband, who is grief stricken over his loss, and a little boy who is seriously ill with the disease that caused his mother's death, with small hopes of recovery.  The funeral occured Tues and was most heart rending.

After brief services at the cemetary, Rev. T. E. Lewis officiating, the remains were laid to rest in Chagrin Falls Cemetery.
Additional notes:  Her name was Anne Marten Boose and her son was Alvin Charles Boose, who did survive and lived until 1966.  Her husband, Charles Henry Boose,  took his son and moved back to his parent's home in Twinsburg,  Summit Co, OH.  He was killed in a rock quarry
accident on March 11, 1901  He was 36 yrs old lacking 17 days. Anne was from Chagrin Falls, they first lived in Twinsburg, moving to Chagrin Falls about 1893 and lived there until her death in 1896.  I know nothing yet of her family.

Submitted by: Karen Kirschenman

Obituary for Sarah Melissa Smith Throckmorton (Bundy)

From a newspaper in Geauga Co., OH (Huntsburg area) a few days after 25 Apr 1924: OBITUARY

Sarah Melissa Smith, daughter of Nehemiah and Lucy Reed Smith, was born in Huntsburg, O. Aug 3, 1844, and passed away at the home of her daughter on Spring street, Burton, O., on Friday, April 25, at the age of 79 years, 8 months and 22 days. Her childhood days were spent in Huntsburg, but the family later moved to Indiana, where she was united in marriage with Charles Throckmorton at Greene, Ind. (St. Joseph Co., IN), Jan. 27, 1864; they soon returned to Huntsburg and to this union three children were born, Willis (William) Burton, Glen Eugene, and Minnie L. The husband died March 9, 1867. Three years later she married Leartus Bundy, of Middlefield, and the greater part of their married life was spent there. Mr. Bundy died in March, 1907. Since then she has made her home with her daughter. Mrs. Bundy was a devoted wife, mother and grandmother. She bore the trials of life, with a true Christian fortitude; always thoughtful of the welfare of others. She will be sadly missed not only in the home circle but by all who knew here. She was loyal, not only to home and friends, but to her country. In the last year of the Civil war she saw both father and husband respond to the call, and her second husband was also a veteran. During the recent war she spent many hours knitting for the Red Cross. She was confined to her bed most of the time during the past eight months, but was hopeful of her recovery until within a few hours of her death. She was tenderly cared for by her daughter, Mrs. L.A. McCoy. The funeral services were held at the home on Sunday at 2 p.m., conducted by Rev. H.S. Chace, who payed a fitting tribute to the life of the loved one gone before, burial was in the Huntsburg cemetery.

Besides her three children she is survived by three brothers, all of whom reside in the West, and seven grandchildren, namely Paul, Vaughn and Clair Throckmorton, of Nashuank(Nashwauk), Minn., Lynn Brainard, of Burton, Jacqueline, Charles and Ruth Throckmorton of Chargrin Falls."

Submitted by Ann Maxon

In Memory of Albert Burroughs

(Name of newspaper not known, date of death was April 3, 1904)

The late Albert Burroughs was born in Madison, Lake County, O., on June 9, 1836. He moved with his father's family to South Thompson, in 1843, where he lived until the breaking out of the Civil War, when he enlisted as a volunteer at the first call for troops in April, 1861, at Toledo, in Company C, 14th Ohio Vounteer Infantry. He served through the three months' service, and re-enlisted as a verteran for the remainder of the war. He enlisted as a private, was promoted in regular order to first lieutenant, acting as captain, with command of a company the last year. He was mustered out at the close of the war in 1865. He then returned to his home in Thompson, where he married Mariah Miller on Jan.20, 1866. He lived in Thompson until Jan. 1, 1889, when, having been elected Sheriff of Geauga County, he moved to Chardon with his family. In 1891 he was re-elected to a second term, at the expiration of which he returned to his farm, where he resided until his death, on April 3. The deceased leaves a wife, Mariah Burroughs, and two children, Mrs. Minnie Vogle, of South Thompson, and Earl M. Burroughs, of Ashtabula; also two brothers and two sisters--Carlos Burroughts of Collinwood; Arthur Burroughs, of Miles Grove, Pa.; Mrs. Della Perry, of Charles City, Ia., and Mrs. Alice Strong, of Cleveland, to mourn his loss.

Contributed by Susan Bricker

Charles Butts

Newbury Pioneer Died

Charles Butts, son of Isaac and Cynthia Woods Butts was born Dec 18, 1837 in Auburn. He was the last of six children. His parents were two of the first pioneers of Auburn, who came from Palmyra, NY in 1816. He was married in 1878 and to this union four children were born. One son died in infancy, Floyd rresides in Auburn, and Lilah and Olive reside in Newbury. He also leaves to mourn his loss, six grandchildren and a niece and nephew. His entire life has been spent in Auburn and Newbury. He died Sunday evening, March 11, at the age of 85 years, 2 months and 11 days. He was well known and leaves a large circle of friends to mourn his loss.

The funeral was held at Auburn, Wednesday March 14. His three sons and three grandsons were pall-bearers. We extend or sympathy to the bereaved family.

(Note: he does not have 3 sons. Olive is definitely a woman as I think is Lilah. Must mean their husbands were pallbearers)


Cynthia (Woods) Butts

Geauga Republican, Feb 29, 1888 page 1

Cynthia Woods Butts, daughter of Benjamin and Mehitable Woods, (two of the pioneers of Auburn), was born on Aug 27th, 1816, in Palmyra, Wayne Co., N. Y. A the the early age of five years, she emigrated with her parents to the township of Auburn, Geauga County. Their journey from New York to the place was done with two ox teams and one span of horses, six families coming in the company. William Woods, a lad of ten, driving the horses, and bringing the women and children. Coming down the beach by the lake, they traveled three or four days, encountering a severe snow storm, the wind blowing so they could hardly see their horses. They left Fairport, and, coming to Chardon, the next, they came as far as Judge Sontes', at North Newbury; the next reaching Auburn, consuming at least four days in traveling from Fairport to Auburn. On the 30th day of August, she was married to Isaac Butts, by Cutler Tyler, Edq., and more than fifity years ago, they unitedly made a profession of religion, taking the Bible for their guide and support for life. They were both baptised and joined the Disciple Church. The Bible has been faithfully read and studied by both. They immediately went to house-keeping in an old log school-house, with the open fireplace and plank floor. At that time marriage meant more than now, and they made a solemn compact at that time that, if any misunderstanding arose, it should never be referred to in the hearing of the third person, but in the evening, when the day's work was done, it should be talked over and adjusted, each one waiting patiently for the other, and both speaking at once. He was never to complain of the "bill of fare" at table, and in turn she was never to complain of the provision made for cooking. That compact was faithfully observed through life, and for that reason the domestic wheels always seemed to run smoothly.

Mrs. Butts' mother, (Mrs. Woods) was one of those botonists who understood the medical properties of roots and herbs, and, understanding the different phases of disease, was sent for to go far and near for sickness, and many a one was helped and comforted by her timely suggestions and careful nursing, and after her death her mantle seemed to fall upon Aunt Cynthia, and she never seemed happier than when caring for the sick and suffering.

Mr. and Mrs. Butts were the parents of seven children, six of them living to be men and women. The oldest,Olive, married Edwin Parks, but died Sept 10,1852 leaving one child, (Mrs. Dwight Sprague of Auburn) who was cared for them equally with their own. Sarah died April, 1868, and later two other daughters, Mrs. Corinthia Boomer and Mrs. Lorett Parks, leaving one daughter, Mrs. Tuttle, and their son Charles who has faithfully provided for them. Not understanding these losses, Aunt Cynthia always apeared resigned and happy, never complaining of anything God had is store for, but always willing to submit.

The 31st day of November, 1887, she had a partial paralytic stroken, and we soon saw that her time was short. She gradually failed until 6 o'clock p.m. of Nov 27th, when she died. During her sickness, she was exceedingly patient. After saying that she was where God had placed her, and repeating many of the beautiful promises of the Bible, she died, as she had lived, peaceful, resigned and happy.

Contributed by Linda Israel

Obituary for Nancy Tucker Carlton

From the Geauga Republican, January 17, 1877

In Memorium

Nancy Tucker was born in Catskill, NY, April 15th 1800, married to Guy Carlton in November 1818 and died in Chardon at the residence of her daughter Mrs. Richardson on Christmas Day 1876. She, with her husband, was one of the first settlers of the township of Huntsburgh, he having built, it is said, the first frame house in that township.

In her early life Mrs. Carlton was a member of the Baptist Church, but became one of the original members of the Church of the Disciples in Huntsburgh, and died in that faith after lingering with a longing eye in view of the heavenly land for many years.

Submitted by J.T. Elderkin

Obituary for Aretus Clapp, Claridon, Ohio

(Name of newspaper not given with obituary)

Aretus Clapp died at the residence of his son, Mr. Wm. Clapp, June 27th, at the advanced age of 86 years. Mr. Clapp was born in Southampton, Mass. Sept. 25th, 1788; was married at the age of 21, to Miss Abigail Barnes. They came to Ohio, and took up land in Thompson, in this County, in 1816, at which time there were but nine families living in the township. Their worldly possessions at that time consisted of an axe, a hoe, a sythe and five dollars in money. They started from their home in Massachusetts in January of the above named year and arrived in Thompson March 4th, after being forty days on the road. They came with two yoke of oxen belonging to his parents, who also came with them. As the roads were in a horrible condition, they traveled a part of the way on the ice of the lake, and at one time narrowly escaped losing their teams by the ice breaking under their feet. They, like many of the other pioneers, saw pretty hard times for a few years. At one time they ate the last morsel of food they had for breakfast, and Mr. Clapp was about to start for Painesville to obtain a supply, when a large buck was seen not far from the house. He loaded his gun, an old style musket, carrying a two ounce ball, and started out. The deer became alarmed, and started off on the run. Mr. Clapp fired sort of a random shot, but which succeeded in bringing the deer to the ground. The animal dressed 160 pounds. The journey to Painesville was of course dispensed with. Mr. Clapp's belief in a special providence was always very firm, and he was often heard of to say that the Lord sent that deer for the purpose of supplying their wants. After the death of his father, in 1821, Mr. Clapp went back to Massachusetts on business, traveling the whole distance, 600 miles, on foot, in 13 days. He was one of the original members of the first church (Presbyterian) formed in the township. They lived in the southwest part of the township. On Sundays, Mr. Clapp and a neighbor would each furnish a yoke of oxen, and hitch them to an old ox sled, on which the women and children would ride, while the men would walk, and the boys drive the team. This was their manner of going to church summer and winter. Mr. Clapp was a temperate, hard working man, and a consistent Christian. He lived in Thompson until the death of his wife, about twelve years, when he went to live with his son William, in Hambden. For the last six months of his life, he resided in this township. The following appropriate lines were selected by his friends as indicative of his general character:

Gently rest, thou Christian parent,
Sweetly sleep, thou aged one;
Thou art freed from care and anguish,
Gently rest! thy work is done!

Long with friends on earth thou'st tarried,
Long has been thy day prolonged;
But thy pilgrimage is ended--
Gently rest! thy work is done!

Through the darkness he was strengthened,
For his faith in God was strong;
And his spirit never faltered--
Gently rest! thy work is done!

Submitted By Wayne R. Barnes


[born 4 Feb 1846, died 3 Jan 1914]

Worthy Clark, aged 68, died at his home, 10411 Somerset Avenue, Cleveland, early Saturday morning after an illness of seven months. He was the first refiner of petroleum in Cleveland, and a former resident [of] Chardon.

When Worthy Clark took a position with the pioneer oil form of Clark, Payne & Co. in 1859, he was 19 years old, but had discovered a secret process for making "burning oil," as the illuminant was called in those days. The members of that firm were Col. Oliver Payne, of New York, whose wealth is estimated at $100,000,000; James W. Clark and Harry W. Payne, both dead.

When the Standard bought out its oil rival, the Star Oil Col. was organized by James H. Clark, Oscar Childs, Worthy Clark and William E. Clark, the plant being located on Kinsman Hills.

In an oil explosion, Worthy Clark was so badly burned that his life was despaired of for three months.

The Star was later absorbed by the Standard, with an airtight agreement made by the attorneys of John D. Rockefeller that the Clarks were not to again engage in the refining of oil. One of the stipulations was to the effect that Worthy Clark was to have a large salary, said to be $3,600 a year, for 10 years for doing nothing, but that he must personally call at the cashier's office once a month "to draw his pay." For 10 years he has cared for the estate of his brother, the late James H. Clark.

Clark is survived by a widow and seven children--Mrs. Joseph Spear, Painesville; Mrs. George Herrick, Parma; Mrs. Case Hall, Charles G., Harry W., Ernest E. and Ralph Clark, of Cleveland; and two sisters, Mrs. Eliza Miller, Los Angeles, Cal.; Mrs. Fanny A. Reynolds, 8520 Carnegie Avenue, and a brother, former State Senator W. T. Clark.

Worthy Clark was born in Malesbury (sic), England, in 1846, coming to Cleveland in 1859. The funeral was held Tuesday at 1 p.m., from his late residence. The burial will be in Chardon cemetery.

Mr. Clark retired from the oil business about 20 years ago, and settled on a farm west of Walters' Corners in Munson, now owned by Grove Lampman. After a short residence there, Mr. Clark disposed of the farm and purchased the residence now owned by Mrs. Cora Fisher on the Claridon road, just east of South Street. The family resided here sev- (at this point the bottom of the clipping was torn off)

Mr. Clark was held in high esteem in Chardon, and his regard for the town is reflected by the fact that he is to be buried here.

Submitted by: Elizabeth Corethers

Obituary Notice of Miner Davis

In Cedar Township, on the 19th day inst., of Cancer in the chest, Minor Davis, aged 55 years and six months.

Source: The Vinton Eagle dtd April 26, 1859 Vinton, Benton Co., Iowa

(Minor Davis was a former resident of Parkman, Gueaga Co., OH.)

Submitted by: Shirley Arendt

Obituary for Lydia Dilts

The Tampa Tribune
Monday, February 7, 1966

DILTS, MRS. LYDIA-Funeral services for Mrs. Lydia Dilts, 81, who died Feb. 5, 1966, will be 2 o'clock Tuesday afternoon from the graveside in the Brooksville Cemetery with Rev. James E. Loper officiating. John W. Turner Home for Funerals in charge of arrangements.

...She was the former Lydia Ann Warner from Geauga County who previously was married to George W. Mathews of Parkman...Brooksville is in Hernando County, Florida

Submitted by: Betty Hammer

Ann (Matthews) Ditto

Plain Dealer
September 25, 1980
Page 4, Section C

ANNA N.DITTO (nee Matthews), of Chagrin Falls, O., beloved wife of the late Lloyd E., mother of Leonard and Beth (Mrs. Fritz) Kuckelheim, grandmother of three, great-grandmother of three. Services 2 p.m. Friday Sept. 26, at THE STROUD FUNERAL HOME, CHAGRIN FALLS. Friends received 7-9 P.M. THURSDAY.


Dale Ditto

Name of Newspaper - Probably Telegraph
Date of Print - Wednesday, January 16, 1929

Chester Loses Two ResidentsFrom Pneumonia and Influenza

CHESTER -- Dale Ditto, 34, died at his home here Saturday, Jan. 12, at 3:30 a. m. following an illness with pneumonia. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Ditto and was born in Newbury. His entire life was spent in Geauga county. The past 15 years he had resided in Chester. On Nov. 1, 1919, he was married to Miss Mary Jacobs of Chester who with two children Roy 7, and Geraldine, 5, mourn the loss of a kind husband and father. Besides his family and his parents, Mr. Ditto is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Della Caver of Hambden and Mrs. Hazel Hudson of Willoughby, also two brothers, Harry of Cleveland and Lloyd of Chagrin Falls and many friends. The funeral service was held at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Ditto, Monday, Jan. 14, at 2 p. m. Rev. H. F. Miller of Chardon officiated. Burial was in Chester cemetery.


Earnest H. Ditto

Name of Newspaper: Probably Telegraph
Date of Print: December 24, 1912

Ditto-Earnest H., died Sunday, Dec. 22, of pneumonia. Funeral will be held at late residence, 1501 E. 66th st. Thursday at 11 a. m.Additional Notes Earnest Henry Ditto was born July 8, 1861 in Newbury, Geauga County, Ohio where he was raised by his parents Joseph and Mary (Stearns) Ditto. He also lived in Chagrin Falls for some time.


Frank Ditto

Name of Paper: unknown
Date of Print: March 18, 1942


Former Chester Merchant Died Tuesday; Had Been Ill For Some Time.

A well-known Chesterland resident, Frank S. Ditto, 84, died Tuesday morning, March 17, at his home. He had been in failing health for some time, but was confined to his bed only about a week preceding his death.

Mr. Ditto was born Sept. 15, 1857, in Newbury, where he spent most of his life. He married Mary Hand in 1885. He will be remembered as an active merchant to Russell and Chester for more than 25 years.

The funeral will be Thursday, March 19, 2:30 p. m. at the Stroud and Son home in Chagrin Falls. Burial will be in Chester.

Surviving are the widow and three children, Della Carver of Chardon, Harry A. of Chester and Lloyd E. Chagrin Falls. A brother, Charles J. of Bayview, Mich., and several grandchildren and one great grandchild also bereave the death.

Additional Notes: Frank Ditto was raised in Newbury, Ohio by his parents Josep h and Mary (Stearns) Ditto. Frank and Mary (Hand) Ditto ran a general store at Mulberry Corners, Chesterland, Geauga County, Ohio. Frank and his wife are buried at the Chester Cemetery on Rt. 306, Chesterland, Ohio.


Harry Ditto

March 12, 1980, page 30

Harry A. Ditto of Chesterland and a life-long resident of Geauga County, died Tuesday in Shady Acres Nursing Home, Unionville, following a long illness. Born Aug. 3, 1886, in Petoskey, Mich., he lived that last 51 years in Chesterland. He was a charter member of the Chesterland Baptist Church, former member of the Chesterland and Russel School Board and member of the volunteer fire department. He was also active in the Chesterland Golden Agers, past grand marshall of the Fourth of July Parade and former Novelty postmaster. Along with his wife, he owned Harry's and Mary's Handy Store in Chesterland at the site of the Geauga Market from 1928 to 1947. Survivors are his wife of 63 years, Mary; a son, Donald D. of Dunedin, Fla.; a daughter, Mrs. Paul (Betty) Montague of Chesterland; three grandchildren; and a sister, Della Carver of Chardon. He was preceded in death by two brothers and a sister. Services will be held Friday at 1 p.m. at Gattozzi and Son Funeral Home, 12524 Chillicothe Rd., Chesterland. Rev. A. Burton Brown of the Chesterland Baptist Church will officiate. Burial will be in Chester Township Cemetery. Friends may call Thursday from 3 to 5 and 7 to 9 p.m. at the funeral home.


Lloyd Ditto

Plain Dealer
May 4, 1976
Page 1, Section 00

Lloyd E. Ditto age 85, at Chagrin Falls, beloved husband of Anna (nee Matthews), father of Beth, Mrs. Fritz (Kuckelheim), grandfather of three, stepfather of Leonard Matthews, brother of Harry A. of Chesterland and Della Carver of Hamden. Services 2 p. m . Wednesday, May 5 at STROUD FUNERAL HOME, CHAGRIN FALLS. Friends received 7-9 P.M. TUESDAY.


Mary Ditto

August 10, 1950

Mary Ditto Rites Friday

Mary Ditto nee Hand, wife of the late Frank S. Ditto, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. John Carver, Kirtland-Chardon rd, early August 9. Mrs. Ditto was born August 22, 1859 in Warrensville, O. and would have been 91 this month. Mr. and Mrs. Ditto were married April 8, 1885 in Warrensville and spent the next three years in Michigan. They then returned to Geauga county where they spent the remainder of their live living in Newbury, Bainbridge, Hambden, Russell and Chester. Mr. Ditto gave up farming to operate a store at Russell Center and in 1914 purchased the store at Mulberry corners which he operated until 1938. The store stock was sold out and the building purchased by the K. of P. Lo dge of Chester.Mr. Ditto died in 1942 and since that time Mrs. Ditto had made her home with her daughter, Mrs. John Carver in Chardon and her son, Harry in Chester.She was an active member of the Chester W.C.T.U. until its disbandment two years ago. She was a member of the Methodist church but was active in the Chester Baptist church and a member of the aid society of the church. Mrs. Ditto, the last member of her family, is survived by her sons Harry A., Chester; Lloyd E. of Chagrin Falls; and her daughter, Della M. Carver of Chardon; 11 grandchildren and 18 great grandchildren. One son, Dale Ward and a daughter, Hazel Hudson, preceded Mrs. Ditto in death. Her grandson, Lawrence Wayne Hudson is in Korea. Services will be held at the Chester Baptist church, Friday, Aug. 11, at 2:30 p.m. with the Rev. James Boyd officiating. Burial will be made in the Chester cemetery.


Mary E. Ditto

Name of paper - unknown, probably Petoskey, Michigan
Date of Print: 1906

At Rest

Mrs. Mary E. Ditto Taken to Old
Home for Burial.

In the death of Mrs. Mary E. Ditto, which occured just before we went to press last week, our city lost one of its best loved and most highly esteemed citizens, a woman whose life has been exemplary in every respect. For the past 20 years she has come and gone in our midst, doing the work of an earnest trusting Christian in quiet, unassuming way, caring not whether the world heard of her deads, but thinking only of the friends she hoped to benefit.

Her last sickness was very short. On Monday she was taken with an attach of pleurisy but was not immediately thought to be in a serious condition, but shortly after pneumonia set in and developed so rapidly that hope of her recovery was given up. Realizing that her last hours were near, she many times expressed pleasure at her nearness to the heavenly kingdom and repeated passages of Scripture full of the glorious promises that had sustained and comforted her all through life, before losing consciousness.

Mary E. Ditto was born in Geauga county, Ohio, June 12, 1835. She was married, Dec. 25, 1856, to Joseph Ditto who passed away 14 years ago. To them three children were born, Frank S. Ditto, Earnest H. Ditto and Chas. J. Ditto, all of whom survive her..

At the age of 12 years, she united with the Methodist church of which she was one of its most conscientious members throughout her life.

After a short service at her home, Thursday morning, the remains were taken to her former home for burial beside her husband, accompanied by Mr. and Mrs. Charles Ditto.
Additional notes
Mary Etta (Stearns) Ditto was born June 12, 1835 in Phelps, Ontario County, New York to Lawson and Emily (Ferris) Stearns. At some point, probably with her family moved to Newbury, Geauga County, Ohio where she married and raised her children. She passed away in 1906 probably in Petoskey, Michigan, but was buried in Ferris Center Cemetery, Ferris Township, Montalm County, Michigan, next to her husband.


Mary (Wicks) Ditto

Probably the Plain Dealer
Saturday, October 29, 1988

CHESTER -- Mary M. Ditto, 94, died Thursday in Madison Health Care Center, Unionville, of a lenghly illness.

Born Dec. 2, 1893, in Chester Township, she was the daughter of Harry and Nellie Wicks.

She was a lifelong Geauga County resident, living in Russell Township for a few years, and then Chester for the rest of her life.

Mrs. Ditto was a homemaker. For 35 years, she was involved in the family business. Harry and Mary's Handy Store, located in Russell and also at the site of the present Geauga Market House on Chillicothe Road, from 1930-47.

She was a member of Chesterland Baptist Church, where she was a former pianist and Sunday school teacher. She was also active in the Ladies Aid of the church. She was a charter member of both the Blue Star Mothers of Chester and Chester Study Club.

Her hobbies included sewing, baking and flower gardening.

Survivors include one son, Donald D. Ditto of Dunedin, Fla.; one daughter, Mrs. Paul J. (Betty) Montague of Chester; four grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.

She was preceded in death by husband, Harry A. in 1980; one sister, Edith Shaft; and four brothers, Harry, Burke, Hugh and Lewis Wicks.

Service will be 1 p.m. Monday at Gattozzi and Son Golden Rule Funeral Home, 12524 Chillicothe Road, Chester, with Dr. Kevin O'Connor of Chesterland Baptist Church officiating.

Calling hours are 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Sunday at the funeral home. Burial will be in Chester Township Cemetery.

Contributions may be made in her name to Chesterland Baptist Church, 12670 Chillicothe Road, Chesterland, Ohio 44026.

Submitted by Crystal Boggs

Richmond Dusenbury

The Geauga Republican.
Dec. 23, 1885

(Chester) Mr. Richmond Dusenbury died Dec. 9th; funeral Sunday, the 13th.
Rev. Jones officiating.

Contributed by

Byron Charles Dutton

Star-Beacon (Ashtabula, OH)


Geneva – Byron Charles Dutton, 72, died Saturday, July 10, 1993, at home following a long illness.

He was born Nov. 27, 1920, in Oshkosh, Neb., the son of Frank and Clara Dutton.

He attended Purdue University and worked in Cleveland and Baltimore before joining the Army Air Corps. He served in the European Theater of Operations in 1944-46. Following the war he received his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Western Reserve.

Mr. Dutton was employed with U.S. Steel for several years before moving to Geneva and establishing Industrial Exchange Service, inc., an equipment-brokerage company cited by the Wall Street Journal for its unique and innovative services.

He was active in various civic and professional organizations, including Junior Achievement, Rotary, the Ashtabula County Industrial Development Association and United Appeal.

He was also a lifelong member of the Methodist Church, most recently being active in the Geneva Methodist Church. He maintained a long interest in animal welfare, frequently ensuring that homeless animals received veterinary care and appropriate homes.

His is survived by his wife of 48 years, Mary P. Dutton; daughters Elizabeth Kilbane of Westlake, Holly Coleman of Canfileld [sic], Julie of Springfield, Ill., and sons Byron II of Austinburg and F. Mitchelll [sic] of Columbus; as well as several grandchildren and sisters Jeannette Dutton of Nashville, Tenn., and Mary Louise Reirson of St. Louis, Mo. He was also preceded in death by his parents.

Service is 3 p.m. Saturday at Geneva First United Methodist Church, with the Rev. Charles P. Oplinger officiating. A private interment will be held later in Auburn Township, Geauga County.

The family requests that donations be made to Hospice of Ashtabula County.

The Donald E. Walker Funeral Home, 828 Sherman St., was in charge of arrangements.


Mary Sprague Dutton

Unidentified newspaper

January 16, 1924

Auburn Woman Dies in the City

After 11 months of failing health, Mary Sprague Dutton died Jan. 11 at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Elsie Smith, in Cleveland. The funeral was held at the church at Auburn Corners, Sunday, Rev. T. D. Henshaw officiating, assisted by Neil Bright with two songs beautifully rendered. Present from out of town were C. H. Dutton and wife of Hiram, Geo. Sprague of Chardon, Will Hall and wife of Burton, Mrs. Lillian Hall and Mr. Hissett and wife of Chagrin Falls, Archie Newcomb and wife of Burton, Mrs. Stella Smith, J. M. Smith and family, Mrs. Forrest Sprague and daughter, Elizabeth, M. L. Fish and wife, Mrs. Hazel Loudonbury of Cleveland, Allan Green and daughter Annette, Milan Green, Will Dutton and Mary Sheffield of Newbury.

Mary Cordelia Sprague was born in Bainbridge, June 27, 1856. She was the youngest of five children of Lyman and Jeannette Bowler Sprague, all now deceased. The family came to Auburn in 1865, where she few to womanhood attending school, and later several terms at Hiram College. She married Byron G. Dutton, Sept. 20, 1877, and their home was in Auburn. They joined the Methodist Church in 1880. On Sept. 6, 1881, he died, leaving her with three small daughters and his parents. His father, George Dutton, soon after became a helpless invalid for many years.

The daughter became teachers, and ultimately established homes of their own; but Mary remained 42 years faithful, self-sacrificing and patient with her husband’s mother, Sophia Crafts Dutton, until her death in February, 1923, at the age of 92 years. Their unusual existence was frequently compared with the lives of Ruth and Naomi. Having a sanguine temperament and amiable disposition, cheerful and jovial, appreciative of the humerous [sic] side of affairs, she endeared herself to a wide circle of friends.

She had an innate desire to "help somebody to-day." and only two months ago she visited among her friends, and left with the useful articles of her industry as mementoes of her visit; and her friends, desiring to show their love and esteem, brought a profusion of beautiful flowers as a covering for her last resting place. Three daughters survive – Mrs. Frank Dutton of Oshosh [sic], Neb.; Mrs. J. M. Simth [sic] of Cleveland; and Mrs. B. A. Wilson of Auburn, also 9 grandchildren.


Sophia Crafts Dutton

Unidentified newspaper

February 21, 1923

Born in Auburn in 1832; Dies There

After a long deep sleep, the long life of 90 years of Mrs. Sophia Dutton passed on Feb.13. The funeral was held at the church Friday, Rev. T. D. Henshaw officiating. Present from out of town were Mrs. T. N. Bright of Chagrin Falls, J. M. Smith, Josephine Smith and Sterling Smith of Cleveland.

Sophia Crafts Dutton was born in Auburn, July 20, 1832, one of 11 children of Benjamin and Elsie Whitcomb Crafts, who were pioneers in Auburn. She attended select school in Auburn and in Troy. In 1853 she married George Dutton, son of James and Clarissa Dutton, also Auburn pioneers. Two children were born to them – Clara, who died in infancy, and Byron, who grew to manhood, and died at the age of 27, leaving his wife, three daughters and parents. After a period of eight years of helplessness from paralysis, Mr. Dutton died in 1883.

Early in life Mrs. Dutton was converted, and became an active member of the Methodist Church. She always found time to help care for neighbors. For many years she was president of the Union Mission Society, superintendent of the Sunday school, and president of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union. Her strong will, her temperate habits, her devotion to duty and to right principles, radiated to all who were connected with her in the affairs of life. Too much cannot be said in commendation of her faithful daughter-in-law, Mary Sprague Dutton, who has lived with her through the long years of loneliness, and contributed to her comfort, soothing her last days until her light went out.

Contributed by Mary David Baker

Asenath Bartlett Trask Emmons

Geauga Republican
Jan. 7, 1885, page 8

Another pioneer has gone the way of all the earth, and, as she is believed to be the last one of the first settlers of this township, is certainly worthy of a passing notice. Mrs. Asenath Emmons died Dec. 29, 1884, aged eighty-twoyears, five months and seven days. She was born July 22d, 1802, and moved with her parents from Massachusetts to this township in 1809, she being at that time but seven years old. Her father, Joseph Bartlett, in company with Seth Hulbert, was among the first settlers. About the same time or soon after other families came in, among them Retire Trask, Mark Barnes, Daniel Pomeroy, Aretus Clapp, Abner Stockwell, and others. Among the first marriages in our township was that of Mrs. Emmons, or Asenath Bartlett at that time to Retire Trask, Jr., which event occurred on Nov. 18, 1816, she being but 14 years of age. Retire Trask, Jr. was among the first list of township officers. The township was incorporated in 1817, and that year Mr. Trask was elected appraiser. A few years later, Mr. Benjamin Trask, brother of Retire, Jr., met with a serious accident by having a portion of the toes of one foot cut off, and before the entirely healed he went to Chardon on foot, to pay his taxes, and on his return home was taken, it was supposed, with the lockjaw. He succeeded in reaching the tall elm tree that was a landmark for miles around since the settlement of the township, which stood a few rods north of Bostwick's Corners school-house, where he lay down and died during the night. Retire Trask, Jr., was born Jan. 11, 1791, and died in June 1835. Mrs. Emmons had nine children by her first husband, as follows: Alma [sic], who married John Ransom; Reuben Trask, now living in Leroy; Benjamin Trask, of Hartsgrove, Ashtabula Co.; Adeline, who married Benjamin Davenport, of Illinois; Alfred, who lives in Iowa; Angeline married John Follett, of Kansas, Almeda married Wm. Keyes, of Michigan. John who lives in Trumball, Ashtabula Co., and [ ] is the youngest, is a resident of this township. All the children are now living, the youngest being fifty years of age. At the time of Mr. Trask's death, Mrs. Emmons was left with a family of nine small children, the youngest being but three months old. His death was an irreparable loss, not only to his family, but to the community in which he lived. The township at that time was a wild wilderness, and, notwithstanding the great affliction and all the difficulties under which she was placed at this time, she was able to surmount them all, by her prudence, economy and perseverance. She supported herself and family for more than four years, without the aid of improvements of the present day. In 1839, she was married the second time, to Capt. Elihu Emmons, who had served in a New York Regiment of the war of 1812. By this marriage she had two children, who died in infancy. She was also a pensioner of the war of 1812. Mr. Emmons died in June, 1862, at the age of 81. Both her husbands died in June, though 27 years apart. Mrs. Emmons was a member of the Baptist Church, a very estimable woman, esteemed and respected by all who knew her, ever ready to lend a helping hand in time of need. She had a strong solicitude for the happiness and welfare of her friends and neighbors. Since the death of Mr. Emmons, she has lived most of the time alone, which was her choice, except the last two years with her son, Retire, of this place. For the last three or four years, her reason had become impaired, which trouble increased during the last year in a deplorable manner, so much so that she was at times an object of pity. But she is now at rest from all her cares, trials and labors of this life. Peace be unto her.



Geauga Republican
Jan. 7, 1885, page 8

Mrs. Asenath Emmons

I am still able to chronicle the demise of another pioneer, and it is a pleasure to do it, not because simply they die, but my sympathies have been so deeply enlisted with them as I have reviewed their life, hardships and energies of devotion in life work. Mrs. Asenath Emmons, died in the presence of her son, R. Trask, on the 23d [sic] inst. Mrs. E., had all the experience that falls to the lot of untold mothers. Married very young, when it cost to live, she was the mother of five boys and four girls, several of whom yet live. They buried her between her two husbands, Trask and Emmons, in the old family yard on the west side of the town. She was a Christian woman of the Baptist persuasion. I treasure her memory, as I spent several weeks in 1819 in her family, and knew well of her actual powers and religious preferences, and say what I feel to say, " Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord."

F. M. L.

Submitted by Sandi Ransom Stoklosa

Adeline (St. John) Ferris

Geauga Area Newspaper
April 30, 1919

Adeline St. John Ferris, a highly respected lady of this town, died Saturday morning, April 26 at her home here, aged 72 years, 1 months and 1 day. She was the wile of James M. Ferris, who died several years ago. Two sons were born to them: William wh o has always lived with and cared for her, and Clair, who died a few years ago. Mrs. Ferris spent most of her life in this town, and leaves a host of friends to mourn her loss. Beside the son, a sister, Mary Ladow, and two brothers, Herman St. John of Russell, and Henry St. John of Burton, survive. The funeral services were held at the house Tuesday afternoon at 1 o'clock, with burial in the family lot at Newbury Center.


Albert H. Ferris

Geauga Area Newspaper
April 23, 1911

April 29 -- Albert H. Ferris died at his home in Missouri April 18, 1911. He was born in Wisconsin June 26, 1862, and spent the greater part of his life in the western states. About ten years ago with his mother he came to Ohio and bought a farm in Russell. Oct. 8, 1902, he was united in marriage to Ettie Ferris of Newbury. Of this union two children were born--Harvey H. and Beatrice M. About two years ago they moved to Wagoner, Oklahoma, and lived there one year, then moved to Exeter, Mo., and purchased a farm, living there until he died. He leaves a wife, two children, one sister and an aged mother. When fifteen years old he made a profession of Christianity and united with the Methodi st church, and his earnest Christian life has borne witness to the sincerity of the Divine Master. He will be missed in the home and by the many friends who have known him during his life among us. The funeral was held at Will McLaughlin's Sunday. Rev. Duhadway officiating, with burial in the Munn cemetery.


Ellen (Wait) Ferris

Geauga Area Newspaper
February 1932

Ellen M. Ferris, daughter of Samuel and Rachael Wait was born in Streetsboro, Ohio, August 27, 1837. She was the youngest of thirteen children all of whom are deceased.

On June 10, 1868 she was married to Harvey Ferris, then a widower with one small daughter who is now Mrs. Rie McLaughlin. To them were born three children, Etta Ferris, Cora Burnett and Clarence. The son died in infancy and the elder daughter in 1929.

They made their home in Newbury until about twenty-four years ago when they came to Chagrin Falls, where he died in 1924, aged ninety years, after they had had fifty-six happy years together.

She was a member of the Methodist church in this village and until the infirmities of age prevented her attendance, she was a willing worker on the Women's Relief Corps.

After a six weeks illness she passed away at the home of her daughter, Mrs. C. R. Burnett, on February 17th 1932, aged ninety-four years, five months and twenty days.

Besides the two daughters she leaves eight grandchildren, nine great-grandchildren and many friends, all of whom were very dear to her and who will remember her always.

Funeral was held Friday, February 19 at her late home, 28 South Main street. Burial in Newbury

Etta Ferris

Geauga Area Newspaper
Wednesday, August 21, 1929

Geauga Native Dies in the West
The Burial Was Beside Her Husband in Newbury Cemetery

Mrs. Etta Ferris, aged 60 years, a former resident of South Russell, died Saturday, Aug. 17, at her home in Springfield, Mo., following an extended and painful illness. She was a highly respected woman, and leaves a wife circle of relatives and friends, all of whom will miss her.

The body was brought to Chagrin Falls, Monday, and funeral services were held a t the home of Mrs. Cora Burnett, her sister, at 2 p.m. The burial was in Munn cemetery in Newbury, beside her husband. She leaves a son and daughter, an aged mother and two sisters.


Harvey Ferris

Geauga Area Newspaper
Wednesday, April 9, 1924

Newbury PioneerDies in 91st. Year

Harvey Ferris, oldest son of James and Mary Russell Ferris, was born in Newbury, June 26, 1833, and spent most of his life there until he moved to Chagrin Falls, where he died Thursday, April 3, aged 90 years, 8 months and 7 days. He married twice; first ot (to) Maria Blair, and one child was born, Maria, now Mrs. Wm. McLaughlin of Newbury. His second marriage was to Ellen Waite, and there were three childre n. Etta, living in Springfield, Mo., married Albert Ferris; Cora Bell, married Charlie Burnett, of Chagrin Falls, and Clarence died young.

Mr. Ferris and his brother served in the 171st O. V. I. During the war of the Rebellion. He was called "Old Reliable" in the Ferris family, and was the oldest Ferris ever known. He took great pleasure in helping others, and told the daughter with whom he lived, not to smother him with flowers, but to use the money, flowers would cost to help helpless people.

He leaves to mourn his loss his widow, 3 daughters, 8 grandchildren and 6 great-grandchildren, and a host of friends. His pall-bearers were Wallace Wilber, Richard Burnett, Albert Waite, Robert Richardson, Wm. Hutching, Neal Silvernail. Mr. Ferris and wife had spent the winters with their daughter in Missouri many years, and had just returned home about two weeks ago.


Hattie (Downing) Ferris

Geauga Area Newspaper
Wednesday, April 4, 1923

Hattie Downing was born at Roughmont, Canada, Oct. 30, 1845. Her parents were John and Jane Hope Downing. She was fifth in a family of 11 children, of whom there are left to mourn her loss, a brother in Vermont; a brother and two sisters in Canada, and a sister, Abbey, who resided in Newbury, and who cared for her until her death. She also leaves several nieces and nephews. At the age of 15 she united with the Episcopal Church of Canada, and taught for several years. She came to Newbury in 1867, and on July 31, 1873, she married Francis Ferris, who brought her to the home where they lived happily until his death July 18, 1901. Mrs. Ferris had always since lived on the farm, making a good home for many who were homeless. No one ever went from her door hungry or cold. She had made many friends in this way, and was familiarly known as "Aunt Hat." She was loved by all who knew her, and will be missed by many. Mrs. Ferris died Friday, March 30, after a short illness, aged 77 years and 5 months. Her good works will not be forgotten. Her life work is done. "As ye sow, so shall ye reap." She was a member of the W.R.C. of Burton, and an honorary member of the B and G Club of the 41st O. V. I.The funeral services were held at Newbury Center church Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. Ross, the Methodist pastor of Chagrin Falls, officiating. Mr. Stroud sang two numbers, "Thy Will Be Done," and "The Last Mile." There was a large concourse of friends present from Cleveland, Akron, Burton, Chardon and Chagrin Falls, among them the brother from Canada. The flowers were numerous and beautiful. We extend our sympathy to those who are left.

Submitted by Crystal Boggs

Lucina Hall Fowler

Unidentified newspaper

Undated (date of death - June 5, 1926)

Mrs. Alfred Fowler (Lucina Hall) died at her home Saturday, June 5, 1926, after a long illness. She was born at Auburn, Aug. 13, 1843 and in 1872 was married to Alfred Fowler, of Bainbridge. They lived there one year and then moved to Newbury, where they lived happily for forty years. In 1912 they came to Chagrin Falls and lived at the Chapple place. After Mr. Fowler’s death in 1918, she moved to 29 Washington street, where she has since lived. Two children were born to them, Mrs. Lucy Button, who lived with her and tenderly card for her, and a son Milan, who lives at Miami, Fla., and three grandchildren who are attending college in the east, a brother, Wallace Hall, the only surviving member of four brothers.

Mrs. Fowler was a rare and charming woman, a sufferer for years. She was always patient and cheerful and never forgot the kindly word to all who came to see her. She had a host of friends.

The funeral was held Monday afternoon at the home, rev. L. L. Wood, of Cleveland, officiating. Burial was at Auburn Center beside her husband.


Lucina Hall Fowler

Unidentified newspaper

Undated (date of death - June 5, 1926)

Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Boone attended the funeral of her aunt, Mrs. Lucina Fowler, at Chagrin Falls, June 7.

Lucina Hall, daughter of Ann Dutton and Peter Hall, was born in Auburn about 1846, and the first part of her life was spent here. She became a popular teacher. She married Alfred Fowler of Bainbridge and they made their home in Newbury and later at Chagrin Falls, where Mr. Fowler died about six years ago. Their son, Milan and family, resides in Cleveland, and their daughter, Lucy, has faithfully cared for her mother through 13 years of helplessness from rheumatism. Her brother, W. W. Hall of Chardon, survives, being last of this pioneer family.

Contributed by Mary David Baker

Calvin Gates

Marion daily Star, Marion OH, Nov. 29, 1893

Back Broken by a kick.
Chagrin Falls, OH., Nov 29.- Calvin Gates aged 74, a well known Pioneer, died from the kick of a horse, his back being broke.

Submitted by Sharlynn Gates

Eri Otis Hall

Unidentified newspaper

Undated – 1937

Eri O. Hall Dies in Painesville

He Was a Former Resident of Chardon and Operator of Creameries

Eri Otis Hall, a former well-known resident of Geauga County, where he operated cheese factories and creameries, died after an extended illness Tuesday, May 4, at 780 Erie Street, Painesville, where he had resided for the past few months, aged nearly 79. He previously resided in Fairport for several years.

Surviving are his wife, Mrs. Matilda Hall, and a son, Cecil, of Athens, O. A daughter, Mrs. Bessie L. Hand, died several years ago. There are also four grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

Mr. Hall was born at Hiram Rapids, Aug. 30, 1858, and later spent many years in the south part of this county.

About 27 years ago he bought a home on East King Street in Chardon, and resided here for several years, being employed at creamery work and also as a carpenter.

He later sold his home here and moved away. He was industrious, and respected by all who knew him. He had operated creameries in adjoining counties, and was considered an expert butter-maker.

Funeral services were held Friday afternoon at the church at Auburn Corners, and largely attended. Burial was in the Corners cemetery.


Charlotte Crafts Hall

Unidentified newspaper

December 20, 1922

Auburn Pioneer Dies in Far West

A telegram brought the message that Mrs. Charlotte Hall, aged 92 years, passed away Dec. 12 at her home in Redlands, Cal., death resulting from a fall and a broken hip. Charlotte Crafts was born in Auburn in 1831, the oldest of 11 children of Benjamin and Elsie Crafts, who were pioneers here. She became the wife of Russell Hall, and they resided here and at Chagrin Falls in the 70's and 80's. They then moved to Chicago, where Mr. Hall died. Later, Mrs. Hall and her daughter Lydia went to Redlands, Cal., where her son Lorenzo resided. Mrs. Hall was a sister of Mrs. Sophia Dutton, who resides here, in good health at 90.


Lucy Ann Dutton Hall

Geauga Leader (Burton, OH)

July 25, 1895

Auburn - July 22 - Tuesday last, Mrs. Lucy Ann Dutton Hall departed this life aged 78 years and 16 days. Deceased was born in St. Lawrence Co., N.Y., came to this county when a mere child, was married to Peter O. Hall 58 years ago. They passed through the vicissitudes of pioneer life, when our greatest difficulties would have been blessings to them of that day. There were born to them 5 children, 4 of whom are living. She delighted in all good works of church and charity. Many grandchildren and others will miss her kind and beneficent acts.


Peter O. Hall

Geauga Leader (Burton, OH)

Friday, July 25, 1884

Auburn - Peter O. Hall died at his home in Auburn, O., July 10, 1884, aged 76 years. The funeral services were held at the Corners, on Saturday, the 12th inst. Rev. D. Rowland delivered the discourse, and, in a few appropriate remarks, comforted the sorrowing ones. He leaves a wife and five children, and a large circle of friends to mourn his loss. His death was caused by cancer. All that skilled hands and loving hearts could do was done to restore him to health, but in vain. The destroyer had marked his victim, and would not relinquish his grasp.

Mr. Hall was born in Massachusetts, and in 1817 came with his parents to Ohio and settled in Mantua. From there he came to Auburn in 1824. He was married to Lucy Ann Dutton in 1839, and settled on the farm where O.F. Snow now resides. In 1844 he traded farms with William Woods, moved on the same, and resided there during the remainder of his life. Truly he was a pioneer, having been a resident of the township sixty years. He was an honest, straightforward man and a good Christian, and was highly esteemed by all who knew him. He will be long remembered and mourned by a large circle of friends and acquaintances.

Peter O. Hall

Geauga Republican (Chardon, OH)

July 23, 1884

Auburn - After enduring all the torments which that terrible disease, cancer, aided by at least three different empirics, can inflict, for more than a year past, on Thursday, July 10th, Peter O. Hall paid the last demand filed against him, the "debt of nature," at the ripe age of nearly seventy-six years. For the last sixty years he has been a citizen of Auburn, casting his first and last vote in this township, and enduring the hardships of pioneer life. In 1839, he married Lucy Ann Dutton, also of Auburn, and his family were four sons and a daughter, all of whom he has lived to see settled in life. In business he was successful, holding the fee simple of nearly four hundred acres, with all needed outfit, and "owed no man anything." As a neighbor, he filled the bill, while in business matters he was "above suspicion." Verily, he has finished his course, " [sic] and now, "After life's fitful fever, he sleeps well." while on his tombstone could be fitly inscribed: "An honest mans' the noblest work of God."

Contributed by Mary David Baker

Obituary Notice of Mrs. Will Hand

The Geauga Republican, Wednesday, February 10, 1892

Mrs. Will Hand fell dead as she was stepping out of the cutter after taking a
sleigh ride.  Cause, heart failure.

of note but not in the notice: Her maiden name was Eliza Whipple.  Her father
was Pierce Whipple. 

Submitted by Penny Hanes


This was found in an old Bible. The Bible was from Lockport, IL. originally, but was found in a building in IN.. I took possession of this Bible in the Fall of 1999, from a friend who found it. She wanted me to find the owners/family of this Bible. I have posted the information on for all to see and on the mailing list for O'Connell and Conner as these are the main names in the Bible.

I have no idea if this man was related to any one in this Bible or a friend of the family. I'd love to have more information on him if you know anything at all. The family must have known some one in his family to keep his death notice in thier Bible.

Thank you for your time to read this and I hope it helps you in your research.

I know not the year of this mans death, but was hopeing maybe some one will see some thing listed here to tell the year. I will start with a small clipping about two of his son's :

Daniel HARTNETT, JR., was called home from Cleveland last Saturday by the illness of his father, and reached here before the latter's death. Richard, who badly sprained his ankle and was in the hospital in Toledo for some time, was also at home.

THE END of this clipping. Please look below for the second clipping and death notice.


The death of Daniel Hartnett, for 23 years a well known citizen of Clyde, occurred quite unexpectedly at his home, corner of Church and Arch streets, Clyde, Ohio, on Saturday last, Feb. 18th., at two o'clock.

He had been ill only two or three days, though his constitution had been badly shattered since his sever sickness a couple of years ago. He injured his hand a few days before his death while working with his dray, and a sort of blood poisoning set in and resulted in his death.

The funeral was held from St. Mary's church on Monday, Feb. 20th., at nine o'clock, conducted by Rev. Father Moran. The interment ws in St. Mary's cemetery adjoining.

Mr. Hartnett was born in Ireland some 53 years ago. He was one of the most popular men of his nationality that ever lived in Clyde. For years he was a member of our village board of education, in which capacity he served the people well and faithfully. He was for a long time in charge of the Lake Shore section at this place, but for the past few years had made a good livelihood by draying. He leaves a widow and ten children, all unmarried, to mourn his death. By nature and disposition Mr. Hartnett was one of the most kindly of men. He probably had not an enemy in the world. Many were the words of regret heard when his death was announced, and great is the sympathy extended to his bereaved widow and children, to whom he had always been a most kind and indulgent husband and father.

Re-typed by : Marcie Davis in IN. for viewing on this webpage of Ohio. Hoping to find this mans family line to send the original copy of this death notice to.

John Houghtaling

Geauga Republican
Jan. 6, 1897
death date: Dec. 16, 1896

John Hoghtaling, who has been sick for some time, died December 16th. from cancer in the bowels, aged 79 years. He leaves a wife and a large circle of friends to mourn his loss. He was a kind husband and good neighbor, and will
be much missed.

John Houghtaling was the husband of Amy Ames Houghtaling.
He is buried in the East Claridon Cemetery.

Contributed by Sandi Ransom Stoklosa


March 9, 1934
Plain Dealer
Page 17

HUDSON:  Hazel Belle (nee Ditto), beloved wife of Sterling D. Hudson, mother of Wayne, Robert and Richard, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Ditto, sister of Mrs. John Carver, Harry and Lloyd Ditto.  Tuesday at residence in Willoughby.  Funeral Friday, March 9, at 2:30 p. m. from Davis Funeral Home, Clark St., Willoughby.  Burial at Chester, O.

Submitted by Crystal Boggs



Charles B. Lower departed this life on Sunday, October 13, 1895 at his home in this city. One by one our little band of early settlers are passing away . He was born at Eagle, NY April 15, 1825. While young, like many other young men, he came to Mentor, Ohio. Feb 15, 1848, he was united in marriage to Miss Mary A. Parker, and soon afterward settled in Constantine, Michigan. In 1853 they settled in this county, near where Osage now is. This was a new and wild country. Only five years before the Indians occupied this portion of Iowa. In 1852 the boundary line was run between Iowa and Minnesota. This country was not nor could not have been surveyed before 1853. In 1881 the family discovered the approach of that fatal, hereditary malady and for nine years tried the dry climate of South Dakota but to no benefit and they came back to their home in Iowa to await nature's demand. Mr Lower leaves a wife, five daughters and their families: Mrs. J.M. Roberts (James Moses), who resides at Plankinton, SD, Mrs. Frank McKenna of Osage, Iowa, Mrs. S.F. Farnham of Charles City, Mrs. P.N. Earle (Phillip Neville) of New York City, and Mrs. H.C. Sessions of Aberdeen, SD

Charles B. Lower was of medium height, strong, heavy built, vigorous and brave, honest true and reliable. All new countrys are settles by some of the worst and some of the best men, yet few section have been settled by as large a proportion of athletes as this section, and Charles B. Lower was one of them. He was not a fighting man, was never known to fight as I know. Such men hardly ever fight. It does not become necessary. Nothing is more necessary in settling a new country than such men. They are truely pioneers of civilization. The police force governs without physical force.

Submitted by: Kate Andrews

The obituaries posted here are the property of the submitters, "on loan" to the OHGenWeb project, and may not be reproduced elsewhere without the written consent of the submitter.