Geauga County Obituaries M-

Geauga County Obituaries M-Z

Sarah Ames Mastick

Geauga Republican
Jan. 6, 1897
death date: Dec. 22, 1896

Sarah Mastick died Tuesday, Dec. 22d, aged 68 years. Died of apoplexy. Funeral services at the M. E. Church the 25th, Rev. Mead officiating. Deceased was highly respected, had many friends and will be sadly missed. She left three sisters and one brother, besides a large circle of friends to
mourn her loss.

Sarah Mastick was the daughter of early Claridon settlers, Mosher and Polly Wilkins Ames.
She was the widow of Eri Mastick.
Sarah Ames Mastick is buried in the East Claridon Cemetery.

Contributed by Sandi Ransom Stoklosa

Obituary for Charles Mathews

Wednesday, October 15, 1997, Citrus County (FL.) Chronicle

CHARLES MATHEWS, 92, FORMERLY OF CRYSTAL RIVER Charles E. Mathews, 92, formerly of Crystal River, died Saturday Oct. 4, 1997 in Duck River, Tenn. He was a veteran of World War II and the Korean Conflict. He retired from the U. S. Air Force in 1953 with the rank of M/Sgt. He is survived by a daughter, Betty Hammer of Tampa; and a son, Ivey Mathews of Duck River, Tenn. McDonald Funeral Home Inc., Centerville, Tenn.

Additional notes:
The obit does not list another son, Steve Anthony Mathews of California

Charles E. (Edward) Mathews was the son of George W. Mathews of Burton and Lydia Ann Warner of Geauga Co. He was preceded in death by his wife, Ruby Lee Smith of Lizella, GA.; son Charles Maxwell Mathews of Crystal River, Fl.; daughter Barbara Irene O'Brien of Centerville, Tenn.; and grandson Hugh Edward Hammer of Tampa, Fl.

Submitted by: Betty Hammer

Obituary for Mrs. Emma Ellison Mathews

Please note: The obituary did not contain a date published, however Mrs. Mathews passed away on March 13, 1923. Also, the correct spelling is "Mathews"


Mrs. Emma Ellison Matthews, wife of Wm. Matthews, aged 66 years, died Tuesday morning, March 13. The family moved here from Parkman about two weeks ago. Last Thursday Mrs. Matthews sustained a paralytic stroke, and a second stroke Monday, resulting in her death.

Mrs. Matthews is survived by the husband and five sons-Clarence, of Newbury; Burt, of Bainbridge; Roy and Wilber, of Sharon, Pa. and George of Burton; also two daughters, Mrs. George Silvernail and Mrs. Hazel Bond, of Burton. The funeral services will be held Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the home, Rev. H. S. Chace officiating. Burial will be made at Steele's Crossing cemetery in Troy.

Submitted by: Betty Hammer

Mrs. Tryphosa Nettleton

Mrs. Tryphosa Nettleton, who has been in feeble health for some time, and a great sufferer for the past winter, died Friday evening, April 29, 1892, aged 75 years. Tryphosa Haskins was born Nov. 15, 1816, in Adam, Mass. Came to Bai nbridge with her parents, Phillip and Louisa Haskins, when but a small child. Think of the howling wilderness Bainbridge was at that time, with only a log cabin here and there, and then note the many changes this aged lady has lived to see, having lived v e ry near the old home her whole life. She was married to Oliver Nettleton January 7, 1836, who died February 16, 1882. Was the mother of seven children, two died in infancy, while two sons and three daughters have been spared to care for her in her declini n g years. Her oldest son, Andrew has lived with her for the past twenty years, and with the three daughters she has had every want gratified and all willing hearts and hands could do to sooth and make life comfortable during her long illness. All her child r en were able to be present at her funeral except Perry, the youngest one, who is in California. She united with the F.W.B. church many years ago, always endeavoring to live a christian, standing for the right, rejecting evil. Though life, home and its sur roundings were very dear, she expressed a willingness to seek that better home, to meet the many friends who have gone before, where parting never comes and sorrow is unknown.

(Name of newpaper not listed)

Contributed by Steve Krahn

Obituary for Adaline Moore Newcomb

Funeral services for Mrs. Wallace E. Newcomb were held at the Malloy funeral home in Garrettsville on September 8, Rev. Everett Gould of the Parkman Congregational Church officiating. Burial was made in the Garrettsville cemetery. Mrs. Newcomb passed away at her home in that village on September 6 following a short illness.

Ada[line] Moore Newcomb was born in Parkman June 20, 1853, the daughter of Edwin R. and [Maria] Louisa Smith Moore. She received her education in the Parkman and Chardon schools. On February 22, 1871, she was united in marriage to Wallace E. Newcomb of Parkman and that community continued to be their home until 1895 when they moved to Garrettsville. Three sons were born to them: Ralph, deceased, Dr. Walter E. of Cleveland and Roger M. of Philadelphia. Three grandsons and l one grand daughter also survive.

Mrs. Newcomb at her advanced age had been able to keep an active interest in church, social and political life until the last.

From "The Geauga Leader" 26 September 1939, page 1c2

Submitted by Walt Newcomb

Painesville Telegraph Newspaper
April 28, 1847 Vol. 13 No. 18 Page 3
on file at Morley Public Library, Painsville, Ohio


At his residence in Mentor, on the 12th inst., after a protracted illness and great suffering, which was borne with Christian fortitude and resignation, Capt. Clark Parker in his 66th year of his age.

Capt. Parker was born in Shaftsbury, Vermont, in July 1781. At the age of 16 he left his fathers home for Ohio, and having joined a company of surveyors, assisted in running the first lines in the survey of the connecticut Western Reserve, then an unbroken wilderness. He remained in the country and in 1804 married and settled in what is now called Mentor, where he spent the remainder of his life, being at the time of his death the oldest settler on the reserve except one.

Immediately after Hull's surrender in the War of 1812, Capt. Parker was the first to respond to the call of his country, and marching to Cleveland, was appointed Capt. of the 1st company sent westward to check the advance of the British and their Indian Allies. After having been stationed at Huron for two months, he mustared a company for six months service, and joined the army under General Harrison and with him endured the fatigues and privations of the winter campaign of 1813. He assisted in building Fort Meigs which stood the memorable seige of May 1813 previous to which, however, his term of service having expired, he had returned to his family. General Harrison and Parker were intimate friends and Parker supported Harrisons presidential campaign. When General Harrison became preseident, Capt. Parker was appointed Postmaster in Mentor, which office he held until the present administration came into power, when he resigned. He was for many years a professor of the Christian Religion & a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was buried with the honors of Masonry, having been for many years, a member of that fraternity. He has left a widow, the companion of his youth, and a numerous family of children and grandchildren to morn his loss.

Submitted by: Kate Andrews

Amanda M. Ranson

The Painesville Telegraph.
Aug. 25, 1859. Vol. 37, No. 35. Page 3:

In Thomson (sic), on the 14th of August, 1869, with Typhoid Fever, Miss AMANDA M. RANSON, in the 22d year of her age. Buffalo Papers please copy.

Contributed by [email protected]

Elmira (Trask) Ransom

Painesville Telegraph
Madison News
page 1
April 22, 1896

The body of Elmina [sic] Ranson who died at the home of her daughter in Cleveland was brought here by train Saturday for burial in Thompson.

Almira Trask Ransom was the daughter of early Thompson pioneers, Retire Trask III and Asenith Bartlett Trask.
Almira (Elmira) was married to John Hampton Ransom and the mother of 9 children.
Almira Trask Ransom is buried in the Bartlett Cemetery in Thompson.


Emma (Thomas) Ransom

Unknown Newspaper

Hambden Woman
Dies at Her Home

Mrs. Emma Ransom, aged 79, died Thursday morning, March 7, at her home in Hambden.
Several years ago Mrs. Ransom sustained a fractured hip by a fall, and since had been confined to her bed.
Mrs. Ransom was born in Thompson, and was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Calvin Thomas. Her husband, John Ransom died about four years ago. The survivors are four sons, Ernest, Howard and Harvey of Hambden and Merton of Painesville.
The funeral services were held Sunday, March 10, at Burr & Smith's funeral home, with Rev. R. T. Lowman officiating. Burial was in Hambden Cemetery.

Contributed by Sandi Ransom Stoklosa


Giles Turner Ransom

Painesville Telegraph
February 8, 1916, page 2

Thompson, February 7. --(Spl.)-- G. T. Ransom, aged 75 years, 1 month and 10 days, passed away at the home of his son, Guy Ransom, Saturday, at 9 p.m. Death, we understand, was due to pneumonia, following a severe attack of grip. Funeral services will be held at the Ransom home Tuesday, at 1 p.m. Eastern time. Thus another old soldier has answered the roll call "over yonder." Mr. Ransom was a veteran of the Civil War, a member of Co. E, 177th O. V. I., and was during the existence of that organization a prominent member of Gurney Post, G. A. R., and for many years a member of Union Grange.
Mr. Ransom was an esteemed member of the M. E. church. Those who remain to mourn his departure are the son, Guy Ransom, and eight grandchildren, who will miss the kind, loving father and grandfather, the community loses a kind and obliging neighbor and friend. The family has the sympathy of their many friends.


Painesville Telegraph
February 15, 1916, page 5

Thompson, Feb. 9, --(Spl.)-- Funeral services for G. T. Ransom were well attended by sympathizing friends and neighbors although roads were bad and mercury registered anywhere from 2 and 4 above zero. Among the relatives present was a nephew from Hambden. A sister and brother of the deceased, the former residing in Cleveland, the latter at Hambden was unable to be present.Rev. E. R. Brown conducted the obsequies. Interment was made in Maple Grove Cemetery.

Contributed by Cindy Ransom Simons

Photocopies provided by Cindy Ransom Simons; descendant.
Transcribed by S. Stoklosa

Giles Turner Ransom was the son of John Hampton Ransom and Almira Trask Ransom.
Giles married Ellen Ferriss in West Avon, NY.
Giles T. and Ellen Ferriss Ransom have descendants still living in the Geauga/Lake County area.

Guy B. Ransom

Painesville Telegraph
April 8, 1949

Guy B. Ransom
Taken By Death

THOMPSON --- Guy B. Ransom, 73, Thompson farmer, died Thursday noon at Mentor-Way Villa, where he had been confined for a short time with illness.Born Jan. 29, 1876, in Thompson, he spent most of his life in this vicinity.

Surviving are his wife, Edith; four daughters, Mrs. Cressie King of Painesville, Mrs. Elsie Coolidge and Mrs. Mary Pitkins of Perry, and Mrs. Evalyn Hunt of Madison; four sons, Clarence and Lawrence of Perry, Herbert of Madison and Oscar of Texas; 22 grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.Services will be held Saturday at 2:30 p.m. at the Spear Funeral Home,
Painesville, where friends may call, and burial will be in Thompson Cemetery.

Painesville Telegraph
April 12, 1949

Ransom Funeral
Services Held

Dr. W. R. Locke, minister of Perry Methodist Church, officiated at funeral services held Saturday, at the Spear Funeral Home, for Guy B. Ransom, 73, Thompson farmer, who died Thursday. Burial was in Thompson Cemetery. Pallbearers were Clarence, Herbert and Lawrence Ransom, Wade Pitkins, Malcolm and Donald Crofoot.Mr. Ransom had resided in the Thompson vicinity most of his life.

Guy Brainard Ransom was the son of Giles T. and Ellen Ferriss Ransom.
Guy B. Ransom married Edith Blakeslee.

Contributed by Cindy Ransom Simons

Helen (Ferris) Ransom

Painesville Telegraph
page 1
March 7, 1910


Thompson, March 7 --(Special)-- Mrs. Helen Ransom, well-known resident of this city, died suddenly Sunday morning while eating breakfast with the rest of her family. She has been a great sufferer for many years. She leaves a husband, Giles T. Ransom, a son, Guy Ransom and seven grandchildren. The funeral will be held from the late residence at 8 o'clock, sun time.

Helen Ferris Ransom was the daughter of Nelson and Sarah Ransom Ferriss.
She is buried in the Maple Grove Cemetery in Thompson.
Helen Ferriss Ransom has descendants living in the Geauga and Lake Co. area.

Contributed by Cindy Ransom Simons

John Ransom Dies

Painesville Telegraph
June 4, 1927

CHARDON, O., June 4.--- John E. Ransom, well-known Hambden carpenter, died June 1 at the age of 77. He was born in Thompson, May 15, 1850. Four sons survive -- Howard, Ernest and Harvey of Hambden, and Merton of Fairport.


Unknown Geauga or Lake County newspaper
Wednesday, JUNE 8, 1927


The funeral of John E. Ransom, Jr., 77, who died in his home at Hambden on June 1, was held in Burr & Smith's chapel on Saturday afternoon. Rev. H. F. Miller officiated. Mrs. Ford and Mrs. Rice sang two selections. Mr. Ransom was born in Thompson. His marriage to Emma Victoria Thomas took place at Spencer, La [sic IA], on May 15, 1874. He leaves four sons, Howard, Ernest and Harvey of Hambden, Merton of Fairport and one sister, Mrs. Jennie Williams, Denver.


John Elmerien Ransom was the son of John Hampton Ransom and Almira Trask Ransom.
He is buried in the Hambden Cemetery.
John E. and Emma Thomas Ransom have descendants living in the area.

Contributed by Sandi Ransom Stoklosa

Amy (Ames) Rathborn

Probably from a Livingston Co, NY newspaper

Title: Death of a Centenarian

Mrs. Amy Ransom Rathborn, born April 17th, 1782, died Sep. 28th 1882. The daughter and first child of Robert and Elizabeth Ames of Massachusetts, she survived to be the last of that large family of fifteen children.

Her first husband was John Ransom of Caledonia, to whom she was married in the year 1805. In this union, she became the mother of 12 children, five of whom are living and are well known in this county. By her second husband, Mr. Rathbon, she no children.

For eleven years past, she had her home with her daughter, Mrs. Emery Thayer of South Lima. Here she was tenderly and lovingly cared for, her last days made comfortable and happy, until on Thursday, September 28th, she sweetly fell to sleep, as "the candle burnt low in the socket." Nearly all of her long life was spent in the communion with the Methodist
Episcopal church at the age of eleven years. The funeral services were on the following Saturday afternoon from the house of Mr. E. Thayer, and were performed by the Rev. N. J. Conklin of Lakeville.

"A shock of corn fully ripe:"
The pains of death are past,
Labor and sorrow cease;
Her life's long warfare closed at last,
Her soul is found in peace.


Source: NY newspaper clipping found in family papers of Scott and Wendy Gifford Bush, descendants.

Transcribed by Scott Bush.

Amea (aka Amy) Ames was the daughter of Robert B. Ames and Elizabeth Mosher.
John and Amy Ames Ransom were early settlers of Claridon.
Their children were John Hampton, Giles Turner, Sandrus and Eliakim Fields
Ransom and Elizabeth Minkler, Sarah Ferriss, Amea Houk, Julia Chappell(e) and Tamar Thayer.

Amy was a sister to other Geauga pioneers including Moshier Ames, Daniel Ames and Emeline Ames Elliot Stanton.

John and Amea Ransom have descendants living in the Geauga/Lake County area.

Contributed by Sandi Ransom Stoklosa

Obituary for Harold Sprague

Died: January 19, 1989. Survived by: Wife: Catherine Sprague. Children: Carol Fagerholm, Harold Sprague, Susan Adkins, Richard Sprague, and Edna Felger. He is buried in Chagrin Falls Ohio. He lived in South Russell Ohio when he died after many years of fighting lung cancer. He was a veteran, he spent many years in the army. He was a very kind and loving man always willing to help someone. Even though it has been many years, he is still very missed and will always be in our hearts!

I am his granddaughter who lived with him many years before he died.

Submitted by: Shannon E. Fagerholm (granddaughter)

Abram Stafford

Wed, July 11, 1928

Abram Stafford, one of the founders of Chardon Savings bank, died Friday, July 6, at the home of hi sson, Fred L. Stafford, on East King street. A man of unusual bsuiness acumen, Mr. Stafford was for years a valued director of the bank which he helped to organize. Practically all of Mr. Stafford's life was spent on the farm on which he was born, near aChardon Center. For three years he served in the Civil war with the 103rd O. V. I.

Five years ago Mr. and Mrs. Stafford left the farm to live with their children. After over 60 years of happy married life, Mrs. Stafford, formerly Miss Mary Churchill, died on Jan 24, 1926. The following year the oldest son, Rebuen M. Stafford, passed away. Two daughthers, Mrs. George Murray of Painesville and Mrs. Wallace W. Sweeny of Chicago, and the son Fred survive. Also 11 grandchildren and 19 great-grandchildren. The funeral service was held sunday at 2:30 p.m. at the Christian church, Rev. C. K. Higley officiating. Bural was in the mausoluem in the village cemetery.


Reuben Stafford

Reuben Stafford Claimed by Death--Wed March 2, 1937

Reuben Stafford, 67, died Monday night at the home of George Diedriah on Mapel avenue after weeks of suffering with cancer. His wife was caring for him when the end came. Mr. Stafford underwent an operation on Nov. 30 which revealed the cause of an illness of year's standing. He failed rapidly after the operation.

Mr. Stafford spent his entire life on the farm which his grandfather and father operated before him. He leaves behind his wife, three daughters, Mrs.Ray Grant, Mrs. Charles Grandt of Chardon and Mrs. George Setters of Sharon, Pa, Halbert and Harrison at home; one brother Fred Stafford of Chardon; two sisters, Mrs. George Murray, Paamersville, Mrs. Wallace Sweeny of Chicago.

Mr. Stafford was a member of the L.O.O.F. Adella Rebekah Lodge, ?. Woodmen and belonged to the Chardon ? until it disabled. He was a member of the Christian church where the funeral will be held on Thursday at 2:30 p.m.



Sada Stafford


For Mrs. Sada Stafford, Who Died Sunday, Five Children Survive

Mrs. Sada Stafford, age 67, widow of the late Reuben Stafford of Chardon, died Sunday, Jude 4 at 5:45 p.m. at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Chas. Grant, on south Hembden Street, following an illness of seven weeks with heart ailment. Mrs. Stafford had been in falling health for two years.

The deceased was born in Church, Mich, May 3, 1872, and was the only child of Abram and Angie Stafford. She was married Dec 29, 1897, and resided near Chardon Center until 1928, when she removed to the village. She was employed much of time as a practical nurse. She was a member of the Cardon Christian church, the Women's Relie Corps, and the Rebekahs. She was highly esteemed by all who knew her; a loyal wife and mother. Five children survive: Mrs. Hilda Grant and Mrs. Helene Grant of Chardon; Mrs. Harriette Setters of Beaver Falls, Pa; Halbert Stafford of Lake Aquilla, and Harrison Stafford of Los Angeles, who arrived here Wednesday, May 31, called by his mother's serious condition.

Funeral services will be held at Cardon Christian church on Wednesday at 2 p.m. Rev C.C. Cleveland will officiate, with Elton W. Parker in charge.

Contributed by Linda Israel

Eli Stuzman

The Geauga Republican,
April 1, 1896, Page 1

Mr. Eli Stuzman died a few days since aged 31 years. He was buried in the
Amish cemetery.

Contributed by [email protected]

Hettie Thayer

The Geauga Republican.
Dec. 2, 1885

(Hambden) Mrs. Hettie, wife of Eugene Thayer, died Nov. 25th, 1885, aged 33 (?) years. She leaves four children, the youngest only a few days old. Her funeral was attended at the M.E. Church on the 27th, Rev. M. C. Hickman officiating, and Rev. Wm. Potter assisting. The remains were placed in the


"Infant Daugher" Thayer

The Geauga Republican.
Dec. 23, 1885

(Hambden) Infant daughter of Eugene and Hettie Thayer died Dec. 9th, 1885. It survived its mother but a few days. It was never a healthy child. After its mother's death, Mrs. O. R. Chamberlain cared for it. Appropriate services were held at the house by Rev. Wm. Potter and M. C. Hickman, after
which the child and its mother were both placed in one grave, till the last trumpet shall sound.

Contributed by [email protected]
Also contributed by Rena M. Ransom & Sandi Ransom Thayer who have added the following notes:

Henrietta Angeline Ransom was the daughter of John H. and Almira Trask Ransom.
Hattie Ransom married Eugene Rulon Thayer on Oct 6, 1874 in Geauga Co, OH.

Hattie and Eugene were the parents of Maude Thayer Wright, Stuart E. Thayer, Clyde Thayer and the above infant daughter.

Hattie Ransom Thayer and infant daughter are buried in the Hambden Township Cemetery.

Obituary of Charles Throckmorton

From the Geauga Republican, Wednesday, March 19, 1879:

"It is our painful duty to record the death of Charles Throckmorton by drowning on Monday last. He had been off after a load of hay, and, when reaching the Grand River in Rome, (OH) , he thought it impossible to cross; so he unhitched one of the horses, and, mounted on his back, thought he would see what the prospects were. After proceding far enough to convince him that he could cross, he started to turn round, when his horse slipped from the embankment and fell over backwards. When he rose he was riderless. Mr. T. being unable to swim, the natural consequences ensued. Search was immediately commenced, which was fruitless until yesterday, when the body was found, about thirty feet from where it was last seen. The funeral takes place at the Congeregational Church, Friday, at 1 P M . He leaves a widow and three small children. The youngest boy , aged about 6 years, while eating his supper Monday night, laid down his knife and fork, and burst crying at the same time making this remark, 'I'd bet my papa is drowned.' It was a long time before they could pacify him, he still persisting that his papa was drowned."

Submitted by Ann Maxson

Elizabeth Peters Vogel

(Name of newspaper not included with obituary)

Elizabeth Peters Vogel was born in Malsborrough, Wilkshire, England, Jan. 11, 1827. She came with her parents to the United States in 1848, and settled in Tarantum, PA. She married Israel Moore, March 16, 1850. To this union were born five children, three sons and two daughters: Giles R. Moore of Lancaster, O.; Mrs. Lucy Waite of Bedford; Geo. Moore of Tiffin; James Moore of Portland, Oregon; and Sarah Isham of Lincoln, Neb. Mr. Moore died Jan. 11, 1859. After his death Mrs. Moore tuaght school for some time. Early in life she gave her heart to God, and identified herself with St. Paul's Episcopal Church of Cleveland. She possessed a wonderful memory, and it was her especial delight to repeat Scripture, hymns, and poems. In her days of health she was a great reader, and was very intelligent and well informed on the principal topics of the times. On Dec. 6, 1865, she married Geo. Vogel. To them were born two sons--W.H. Vogel of Thompson, and Chas. Vogel of Cleveland. Mr. and Mrs. Vogel lived for some time in Hartsgrove. In 1885 Mr. Vogel bought the gristmill property in South Thompson. Mrs. Vogel passed away early Saturday morning, Dec. 21, 1912, aged 85 years, 11 months and 10 days, leaving 52 living descendants, 7 children, 25 grandchildren, 19 great-grandchildren and one great-great grandchild. She also leaves two sisters, Mrs. Cornell of Cleveland and Mrs. Anger (Agar) of Euclid. She was ripe for the harvest, and was ready when the Master called. The funeral was held at her late home in South Thompson, Monday, Dec. 23, Rev. Frank Dan officiating. Fannie Dan sang very sweetly, "Abide With Me," "Rock of Ages," and "Face to Face." The casket was covered with beautiful flowers, a tribute of love from her children and grandchildren. Interment was made in Maple Grove Cemetery. Relatives who attended the funeral from a distance were George Moore of Tiffin; Mrs. Lucy Waite and son Bud of Bedford; Mrs. Bennett of Hudson; Mrs. Rose Speer of Euclid; and Chas. Vogel and family of Cleveland.


George Vogel Funeral

Funeral services for George Vogel were held at the church in Thompson last Thursday afternoon, the Rev. Mr. Campbell officiating.

Mrs. Campbell very sweetly sung three appropriate selections.

The pallbearers were: Jesse Scott, Joe Sidley, Glenn Wallace, Olin Murphy of Thompson, Leroy Towne of Claridon and Clarence Benadum of Painesville.

The deceased was laid to rest in Evergreen cemetery, Thompson, O., by the side of his wife and mother.

George Vogel was born in Hessen, Amstadt, Germany, Feb. 3, 1835. He came to America in 1859 and was married to Elizabeth Moore in 1865. Three children were born to this union, a daughter, who died at the age of three months, and two sons, Henry and Charlie, who with three grandchildren and three great-grandchildren survives.

Mr. Vogel died on Nov. 29. (1926).

(Notes from the submitter: Both are buried in the cemetery in Thompson. I guess they changed the name. I know they are all in the same family plot. So are George age 12 (1902-1914) and parents Charles & Amelia).

Submitted by Susan Bricker

Mary (Jacobs) Wendt

Probably the Plain Dealer
Tuesday, June 27, 1989

CHESTERLAND -- Mary S. Wendt, 89, died Monday at Hillcrest Hospital following a short illness.

She was born Sept. 25, 1899, in Chesterland to Milan and Linda Jacobs.

Mrs. Wendt was a life-long resident of Chesterland.

Survivors include three daughters, Dorothy Paglio of Cleveland and Geraldine Crotty and Donna Tursic of Chesterland; a son, Roy Ditto of Chesterland; eight grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.

She was preceded in death by her first husband, Dale W. Ditto; her second husband Albert Wendt; and two brothers, Gail and Glenn Jacobs.

A service will be held 11 a.m. Thursday at the Ritondaro Funeral Home in Chardon with the Rev. Robert Schuller of Trinity Lutheran Church in Willoughby officiating. Burial will be in the Chesterland Cemetery.

Calling hours are 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday at the funeral home. The family suggest memorial contributions be made to the charity of your choice in her memory.

Contributed by Crystal Boggs

Obituary for Daniel Wheelock

From the Geauga Republican, 24 December 1879

Daniel Wheelock who died on the 11th of December 1879 at Hambden, Geauga Co., Ohio, was born in Tyringham, Berkshire Co., Massachusetts October 29th, 1792. He was the son of Amariah Wheelock who was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. His mother's maiden name was Hannah Warren, who was a relative of General Warren of Revolutionary fame. One of the sisters of Mr. Wheelock was the mother of Judge Day, late of the Supreme Court of Ohio. Another sister, Clarissa Wheelock, married Capt. Anson Beman of Portage Co., Ohio. She died April 27, 1879 at the residence of her son, A. W. Beman, Esq., of Cleveland at the advanced age of 81 years. An extended notice of her life has heretofore been published in several of the leading papers of Northern Ohio.

At the age of 23, Mr. Wheelock came to Ohio, making the entire journey on foot and carrying on his back all of his worldly effects, the weight of which was about 60 pounds. After remaining her several years or until the year 1820, he returned home after his parents and the rest of his family, who did not, however, return with him, but followed soon after. On the way, at Avon, New York, his father died and was buried in that place.

The rest of the family, after the funeral, resumed their journey to the then far West. Daniel was the eldest son, and to him the grief-stricken widow and the balance of the family looked for advice and assistance. What a sad, sad journey that must have been and how few the men that under similar circumstances would not have given up in despair. But not so with Daniel Wheelock. With the same cool judgment and determination that ever marked his life, he permitted no discouragement to change his course from the path directed by his judgment. He arrived in Auburn, Geauga Co., Ohio and immediately located upon what is now known at the C.O. Dutton farm, the selection of which in that far-off time, in a dense, unbroken wilderness, is of itself a monument to his good judgment, as the place, for quality and location, has proved to be what he then foresaw, one of the best in Geauga Co. With his own hands he cleared off his farm and did much to improve it, and he assisted in raising a large portion of the buildings first erected in that township.

In 1822, he was married to Betsey Belcher, of Perry, Ohio, a lady of education and refinement, by whom he had three children, Hilen, Chauncey, and one that died in infancy. Hilen died several years ago. He was named after Hilen Canfield, Esq., formerly of Chardon, who was an early and intimate personal friend of Mr. Wheelock and that intimacy continued through life. After living in Auburn a few years, his wife died, leaving him alone with his two children and his aged mother. The loss of his wife was the great sorrow of his life and seemed in great measure to change the whole course of his life; but never in his darkest hours did he lose his character for honesty and truthfulness and sterling integrity. But in the grave of the wife of his youth he seemd to have buried his desire for wealth and worldly ambition. In a few years after her death, he married Lydia Hall of Auburn, with whom he lived until the time of his death. After his marriage to his second wife, he became the father of four children, H.A. Wheelock, Amhert J. Wheelock (who died in infancy), A.H. Wheelock, and Peda Wheelock, who died about three years ago.

In the fall of 1839, Mr. Wheelock moved to Chardon and located on the farm now owned by H.K. and T.C. Smith, where he remained until 1864 when he sold his farm and purchased the D.T. Bruce place on Water Street, now occupied by H.A. Wheelock and owned by him and his brother A.H. Wheelock. In 1872, he bought a small farm in Hambden and moved on to the same where he remained until he died.

Mr. Wheelock was a man of whom his casual acquaintences knew but little. He had the appearance to a stranger of being a cold, unfeeling man. His early and intimate acquaintences knew him better. They knew that no more kindly or generous heart ever beat in human breast than beat in the breast of Daniel Wheelock. His religion was to do by others as he would wish them to do by him. He was a man in whose mouth guile was never found. Honesty, truthfulness, and integrity were the character of his life. He despised pomp and show of every kind. He was a kind man, an affectionate father, and an obliging neighbor; a man who had read much and was well posted in the Old and New Testaments and in ancient and modern history. He will long be remembered and his memory cherished by the few that remain of his early associates. In the last conversation that the writer had with him, he said, "I am not afraid to die. I never cheated nor wronged a person in my life, to my knowledge." He has left his bereaved widow and fatherless children a far richer legacy than can be bought with gold and silver. He has left to them an example of honesty and integrity worthy of their emulation and a character above reproach. Let his virtues be emulated by all.

Submitted by J.T. Elderkin

Obituary for Lillian Hughes White

(Lillian Hughes was b. 11 Dec 1855 in Huntsburg, OH to Israel Ferris Hughes and Mary A. Scott Hughes.  She m. Walzo Allen White of Middlefield on 11 Dec 1880 and they had one child, Mabel Clara White. Lillie was 33 years old when she died and her obituary follows:)

Geauga Leader of Friday, February 1, 1889

Death has again come among us, and most suddenly and unexpectedly.  Mrs. Walzo White died Friday last after about two days' illness.  She was at the home of her parents in Huntsburgh when she died.  Her case was peculiar and she suffered greatly.  The funeral was held in Huntsburgh on Tuesday of this week.  Her death has cast a gloom over our village (Middlefield, OH), and Mr. White has the deep sympathy of all in his affliction.  Mrs. White was the plucky woman who dared to unfurl a Harrison banner, even if it did displease a Democratic postmaster.  We are told that this episode is known far and wide, and especially is it known by our Congressman E. B. Taylor.  We must all learn that this is a free country and all have a right to express their sentiments."

From a Geauga County newspaper in December 1917:

Frank A. Wilmot, prominent farmer and nearly a lifelong resident of Claridon, died suddenly at his home Monday morning, Nov. 26, after a short attack of heart failure.  He had been in poor health for a long time and was taken seriously ill Wednesday of last week, but had rallied, and was able to be about the house.

He ate breakfast with the family Monday, and at 8 o'clock sat at a window and waved good-bye to his eldest son, Prosecuting Attorney C. A. Wilmot, as he left for Chardon.  Immediately he was stricken ill.  His condition rapidly became alarming, and he died about 8:30 o'clock.

Mr. Wilmot was the son of Charles and Arabelle Moffet Wilmot, pioneer residents of Claridon, and would have been 67 years old Dec. 28.  He was
twice married, and leaves a wife, Mrs. Kittie Wilmot, and five sons - Charles, Arthur, Walter, Ellis and Henry; also a step-daughter, Mrs. May Adams of Cleveland.

Mr. Wilmot was a man of unusual ability; a scholarly writer and talker, and great thinker.  He was one of the best posted men on many topics in the county.  He was a member of the I.O.O.F., a public-spirited, generous-minded citizen of strict integrity, and will be missed not only by the family, but by a wide acquaintance, numerous relatives, and citizens generally in Claridon.

The funeral will be held Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, at the house, and Rev. Robert Paton will officiate."

Contributed by Judy Davison

WIEDBRAUK Henry Andrew Obituary

Publ: Carson City Gazette,
Carson City, Montcalm Co., MI;
Vol XXXIV; No 37; 9 Sept 1904, Page 1.

"A Pioneer Gone

Henry Weidbrauck was born in Brunswick, Germany, Sept. 1, 1818, and died at his home near this village, Sept. 1, 1904. He came to America with his wife and one child forty-nine years ago. They lived fourteen years in Bannebridge, Ohio, and then came to Michigan and settled in Crystal township, where he lived thirty-five years. His death occurred on the old homestead where he settled when he came to the state. Three daughters preceded him, and an aged widow, one daughter, Alice and four sons, John and Morris, of this place, and Henry and Lewis, of Currran, Alcona Co, survive him and mourn his loss.

Mr. Weidbrauck cleared the timber from the land on the north side of Main St. from the bank, west. He was an honest citizen and highly respected.

Funeral services were held at the U. B Church, Saturday at 2 p.m., conducted by Rev. J. S. Beers of Perrinton, and burial was made in the Burke cemetery. The floral offerings were many and beautiful."

We desire to express thanks to the friends who showed us kindness and sympathy in the death of husband and father MRS. H. WEIDBRAUCK AND FAMILY."

Marcia Shears' Note: His last name is spelled as shown in this obituary but the family spells his name Henry Arthur Wiedbrauk. I had not been able to find a Bannebridge, Ohio but I thought Bainbridge, Ohio sounded the same so I looked for the family in the 1860 Census and found them there in Bainbridge, Geauga Co., Ohio. The record was a poor quality and the surname was different but after analyzing the names it is obvious that it is the correct family. The reference for the 1860 census is Bainbridge, Geauga Co., OH; Image 8 of 20, Page 85, Dwelling 719, Family 699. Contributed by Marcia Shears

The obituaries posted here are the property of the submitters, "on loan" to the OHGenWeb project, and may not be reproduced elsewhere without the written consent of the submitter.