Dr. J.E. Nichols was a dentist in Dunkirk in 1890. He advertised in the Forest Review that he would service individuals in Forest every Thursday. He operated out of Dr. L.E. Cook's office. His advertisements ran from November 5, 1890 until February 4, 1891. Nothing else is known about Dr. Nichols or his practice.
Ernstina Catherine Margaret Louise "Louisy" (A_) Petty (b. Dec 1849, Frankfort-on-the-Maine, Germany) came to Wharton with her parents in 1853. She lived to be 81. On May 3, 1868 she married James Asbury Petty (b. OH, Jun 1847). His father was from Virginia, his mother Ohio. The 1870 census lists James F. Petty and his wife Mary E. Petty living in Whartonsburgh, Richland Twp., Wyandot Co., Ohio. James F. was born in Virginia and Mary born in Maryland. They had four children; Thomas W. Petty (a. 22), Matilda Petty (a. 15), James A. Petty (a. 14), and Susannah Petty (a. 11).
By 1880 the Petty's were farming in Richland township, Wyandot county, Ohio. At the time they had three children living at home; Nina B., Charles, and William R. They had a total of five children; Minnie "Nina" B. (Petty) Wright (b. OH, c1871), Charles O. Petty (b. OH, c1873), Lottie (Petty) Macoy, Lulu (Petty) Opp, and William Rene Petty (b. c1877). They left Wharton in 1884 and by 1900 lived in Beaver Crossing, Seward Co., Nebraska where J.A. working as a carpenter. At that time they had one daughter living with them, Lulu Petty (b. OH, Sep 1883). By 1910, James operated his own carpenter shop and Lulu was a dressmaker living at home.
Mr. Louis Passitt actually lived in Whartonsburg in 1879, now Wharton. The newspaper erred in the location. No other information is available on this individual, his wife`s name, or if he had any other family.
FT. WAYNE, Ind., May 15.-- About midnight a cyclone crossed the track of the Pittsburg, Ft. Wayne and Chicago railroad two miles west of Forest, O. It blew down a tree which scraped the side of the last express train going east, injuring ten or twelve passengers. One passenger was severly injured, having a leg broken and one eye put out. The storm did great damage along Blanchard river. The town of Dunkurk [sip] was struck and four persons killed and between fifteen and twenty injured.
The names of the dead are Mrs. Rufus Lease, Wm. McEarl and his two children.
Several buildings were blown down and many more unroofed. Telegraph communicaition has been interrupted since the first reports, and the particulars are not yet at hand.
Mead C. Huston, of the firm of Huston & Thompson, proprietors of the Thompson House, is the son of Dr. James Huston, and was born in Wayne county, Ohio, July 15,1863. In childhood he removed to Dunkirk, Ohio, where his early life was spent, being educated in the city schools. During his vacations he studied dentistry with his father; later attended the dental college at Ann Arbor, Mich., in the winter term of 1884-5, after which he practiced dentistry with his father until the fall of 1886, when he engaged in caring for the traveling public at Dunkirk, which proved a success. In 1889 he sold and removed to Paulding, where he became proprietor of the Thompson House, since which time he has conducted a first-class house, and has made himself very popular with the knights of the grip. Politically, he is a republican; also a member of the K. of P., at Forest, Ohio. November 4,1886, he was united in marriage with Miss Anna Kahler, a popular teacher of the Dunkirk high school, and daughter of Samuel , an early settler of Wayne county, Ohio. One son, Edward Everett, was born to this union, December 9, 1891.
Three masked men attacked Shuey, Marshal, of Dunkirk, one Friday morning in 1891 about three o'clock and murdered him in cold blood. They took his pocketbook with thirty dollars, revolver, etc. They then stole a horse and buggy and escaped.
The murderers of Marshal Ed Shuey were never apprehended. The honor of the first marshal lies between Geo. Longabaugh and Ed Shuee (sic Shuey). They, Wm. Leslie, and John Darst, served as the village Marshal between 1867 and 1873.
Following 1873 and until 1901 the following were marshals for Dunkirk:
The first city "lock-up" was built in 1861. Another was built later which serviced for many additional years.
Mrs. Tena Ash was presented with a number of presents on the account of her birthday anniversary recently by her many friends.
Miss Carrie and Lizzie Moore and Zadae Phillips visited friends at Dunkirk and attended the commencement last week.
Phillip Wickiser and wife and Kell Missamore and wife attended the ...
Mayor Fryer, of Dunkirk, honored [us in this] place with his presence Friday.
John Calvin Duffield (c1899) was buried in Wharton in November. He was 63 years old and had been living in Sandusky, Ohio.
D.W. Krider has the distiction of being the worst wounded man in the Spanish American War according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. In February, 1899 he and his Utah battery, Battery K, 3 Artillery, attacked natives somewhere in Manila, Philippine Islands. Due to an exploding shell, Krider received 26 wounds, also being hit once with a Mauser bullet.
Calvin Gum was the town Marshal. Calvin was the uncle of Patrolman Ed Alexander of the Pennsylvania police department.
Frank Cole died at the age of 62 in 1916. He lived at 222 N. Washington street in Galion, Ohio. He was born in Wharton on April 24, 1883 and married Catherine Stumpf. He was a truck driver for the American Steel Grave & Vault Co. at the time of his death. His fater was Louis Cole and his mother Susanna (Crites) Cole. He died on March 1, 1946 and is buried in Fairview cemetery in Galion, Ohio.
Rev Austin Crist, of Lima, spoke to the M.E. church congragation in September, 1921.
John Hedrick attended the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, MD in 1921.
Frank Waldruff established the first blacksmith shop. Other early blacksmiths were: Andy Williams, George Longabaugh, and Mr. Orner.
Dave Marquis was the first cabinet maker and owner of Lot #13 of the original deeded lots of Dunkirk. He was born in Pennsylvania in 1832 and married Mary Marquis, born in 1838 in Ohio. They had several children; Annie Marquis, Hugh Marquis, William Marquis, and Harry Marquis.
Charles Ellis was the first tailor. He was married to Katherine Krimblebine. They had a son, William Hatfield Ellis, married to Cora (McClelland) Ellis. William probably took over the business from his father as he was a tailor at the time of his death on February 3, 1945. William was born in Dunkirk on November 14, 1880.
Benedict Winegart was the first shoe maker. He was born in Switzerland and was living in Blanchard township, Hardin county by 1860.
Frank Herron was the first carpenter and owner of Lot #25 of the original deeded lots.
Mr. Shuee was the first brick manufacturer.
Thos. Mahon & Sons created the first ashery.
Edward F. Shuee established the first tannery. He was born about 1841 in Maryland. His parents were both born in Maryland. His wife was Isabell Shuee. She was born in Ohio about 1852. Her father and mother were born in Delaware and Pennsylvania, respectively. By 1900 he was working in a local tile factory.
I. & James Larkins and Thomas Mahon & Sons operated general stores in the Village. James was owner of lot #11 of the original deeded lots.
F.P. Gale operated the a drug store.
J.C. Leslie operated a funiture store.
Renattus Gum operated a grocery and saloon.
Wm.S. Wiles was a miller and owner of lot #7 of the original deeded lots. Geo. Longabaugh was a blacksmith. A. Hoaglin was the first cooper. Haldeman & Huston were wagon makers. George Ebert & J.M. Hutchinson were shoe makers.
D. Younker ran a saw mill.
octors & Dentists.
The first physician to locate in Dunkirk was Dr. Steyer, in 1853. He was a graduate of Leipsic Medical College, Germany. In 1855 he moved to Kenton where he practiced until his death in 1863.
Next was Dr. A.K. McCaskey, who came from Union county, and practiced until old age. He died in the 1890s.
James Huston was the only dentist for years and came in the latter part of the 1860s. He eventually moved to Paulding, OH where he died in 1900. Other dentists were; Drs. Calvin, Nichols, Crampton, and G.B. Rounds. Dr. Rounds was a graduate of the University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD and began practice in April, 1893.
In 1855 Drs. I.W. Martin and Samuel Kehler located in Dunkirk. Kehler was a graduate of Willoughby College (c1859). They practiced with Dr. McCaskey for several years. Dr. Martin later moved to Cleveland.
Dr. Bassett practiced medicine in Dunkirk in 1859-60.
Near the close of the civil war, Dr. Pugh located in Dunkirk, where he became a partner to Dr. Kehler, but remained only a short time.
From 1870-1880, Drs. Wm. Brayton, W.H. Wise, D.C. Smith, J.M. Todd and Geo. Shira practiced in the community. Brayton left after one year in 1871. Wise was a graduate of the Cleveland Medical School in 1871 and was the only homoeopathic physician. Smith graduated from the Miami Medical College, of Cincinnati in 1874. Todd came from Williamstown in 1875 and practiced until the 1890s. Shira came from Knox county in 1879 and practiced for only a few years before he died.
Dr. C.C. McLaughlin had a diploma from Starling Medical College, class of 1881. In 1889 he supposedly attacked R.R. McDowell, a Lima city drummer, he had treated previously.
A native of Richland county and graduate of the Starling Medical College, Columbus, Ohio, started a practice in 1881. Dr. Lisle, a native of Franklin county started practicing in 1882. He was a graduate of the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore, Maryland. Dr. Haggerman never practiced medicine in Dunkirk being the only druggist at the time (c1901).
Dr. Stockman, of Knox county began practice in 1883 before dying of consumption is 1884. Dr. J.T. Treece, of Hancock county located in Dunkirk, Ohio in 1885. He was a member of the Eclectic school and practiced until his death in 1892. Dr. J.S. Hedrick, a native of York, Pennsylvania, came in 1888. He was a graduate of Starling Medical College, of Columbus, Ohio. Dr. Pugh, of Hancock county, practiced for six months before being appointed as physician at the Insane Aslyum Toledo, Ohio. In 1892, Dr. Starner began practice. He was from Crawford county and a graduate of the Eclectic Medical Institute, Cincinnati, Ohio. Dr. E.E. Hendershott practiced from 1885 for a short time before locating to Britton, Michigan where he had an affluent practice. In 1898 Dr. H.E. Neff, of the Cleveland, Ohio Medical Collage, began practice but later moved to Williamstown, Ohio. Dr. R.C. Alexander, Ada, Ohio, practiced a few months in 1901, before moving to Marseilles, Ohio.
G.M. Kingsbury taught in the Dunkirk schools for the school years 1894-95 and 1895-96. Listed for the school years 1896-97 and 1897-98 was Guy Kingsbury who may be the same individual.
No records exist about the first school in Dunkirk, but the pioneer living around 1900 all agreed that Moses Louthan taught the first school, that the first school was built in 1854 at the location of the M.E. Church (c1901). At the time of the author`s book the building had been converted into a dwelling and was owned by a Mrs. Rinkard.
The teachers who are believed to be teachers in that building were: Miss Lahlia Lillibridge, John Morrison, Kate Woods, Moilie Wilcox, Tom. Morrison, Mr. Brown, W.J. Kingsbury, and Mr. __ Larimer.
On December 2, 1864, school had been dismissed at noon. Wm. McGinnis and Wm. Edgar, two soldiers home on furlough during the Civil War and friends of __ Larimer, were starting out to hunt. They stopped by the school and were showing Larimer the manual of arms when McGinnis` gun struck a seat, discharging, and killing Larimer instantly. Mr. J.J. Wood finished the school term due to the death of Larimer.
The school district was organized in 1866 and a four-room brick building built in 1867. Mr. M. Friedly was the first superintendent of the shcool. Shortly thereafter three additional frame building were built to support a new population growth in the district.
Supposedly a ghost in Dunkirk cemetery, Lorena Tussing/Fussing was born about 1917 and lived with her parents, Harry E. & Ida Tussing and her brothers and sisters; Glen E., Cleda, Florence, and Naomi. Harry was a local farmer. Unless proven otherwise, it is assumed that the following information is about Lorena.
The Legend of Loretta Tussing and Dunkirk cemetery in Hardin county is the alleged roaming ground of a distraught lover who took her life near the cemetery. Accoring to local legend, a woman attending the funeral of her dead lover became so overcome with greif, so walked away from the grave site and wandered onto the nearby freeway. The woman, Loretta Tussing, waited near the shoulder until a vehicle approached, then raced out into the roadway. She was struck by the vehicle and died a short time later. Locals say that the young woman can be seen standing near the shoulder of the roadway, ready to race out in front of on-coming traffic. Several motorists passing by the cemetery have reported seeing a Miss Tussing standing under the arch that stands at the graveyard`s entrance, only to watch her disappear suddenly. She has even been sighted by mourners attending another burial in the cemetery. In most reports, she is described as a young woman, dressed in a long black dress and wearing dark, elbow length gloves.
The Shadowseekers investigated the legend of Loretta Tussing in September of 2004. We took photographs and video recordings, and placed three audio recorders in various positions throughout the cemetery. We also took EMF readings. Two Seekers were equiped with digital thermometers. As an interesting note, 36 digital photographs and one roll of 35mm film were taken at the cemetery. Oddly, none of the photographs we took of Tussing's lover`s stone were able to be retrieved. Also of note, abnormal EMF readings were detected near the site of the tombstone. Both incidents could indicate the possibility of paranormal activity.