Search billions of records on



Index to Obituaries




(Unidentified Newspaper with notes inserted by Barry Wetherington)

Daniel Barlitt was born 24 June, 1788, moved from his birthplace, Harrisburgh PA to Wooster, OH in 1823, where his first wife (Unk Pracilla married in Harrisburgh PA), died. He then married Betsy Dupes Elizabeth Tupps, and had 5 children, 3 males, Henry, William and Martin. She died March 4, 1848.(In Crawford Co. marriages, a Daniel Barlitt married Elizabeth Tupps 27 May 1837; also 1850 and 60?? census names wife as Elizabeth). He married 'Mrs Trash/Speagle' shortly after, with whom he lived out his life, she dying just days before him at age 83. No record of children by her.

In 1834 Daniel had located permanently on a farm in Liberty township, where he spent remainder of life. At age 103, he was living on the 31 acre farm with his step son-in-law Frank Lambright. He and his wife ('Mrs Trash/Speagle/Barlitt?' ) had resided on the banks of the Sandusky River, 3 miles east of the city of Liberty/ Bucyrus, for 60 years on his 103d birthday, and his three sons Henry, William and Martin were then (June 24, 1891) living at Wooster.

The Dec 16, 1892 news article of his death was on a Friday, the funeral had been on Tuesday, Dec 13th, and the Sunday death of Daniel Barlitt was on Dec 11, 1892. Interred at Oakwood Cemetery. (Mrs Trash/Speagle/Barlitt, his wife (third) of 40+ yrs, would have died about Dec 7, 1892 at the age of about 83). Daniel Barlitt's father lived to be 70, mother 106, GM to 108, and several other relatives to 100+.


Daniel was interviewed by an Ohio newspaper for his 100, 102, and 103 birthday, and the paper(s) reported his death on Dec 16, 1892. Poor copies of the Barlitt articles from The Crawford County Telegraph/Forum (hard to determine, possibly of Wooster, or Upper Sandusky, or Bucyrus, or Liberty township) are available, although the 100th Birthday article with extensive family background referenced in the 102d birthday article, has not yet been located. The interview with Daniel Barlitt reveals, among other things of interest, Daniel's belief that his grandfather (or father, depending on which of two articles got it right), Jacob Barlitt/Bartlett, was a bodyguard to Gen. Washington. The surname Barlitt may have once been Bartlett.


I have some copies of the referenced 1892 Telegraph/Forum articles, which I would like to have those of the 100th birthday of Daniel (referenced below) and of the obits of Daniel's wives Unk Pracilla, Betsy Dupes/ Elizabeth Tupps, and 'Mrs Trash/ Speagle.' Also, my GG Gf Henry Barlitt apparently lived and died in Wooster, died after 1890. We are also looking for information of our GGG Gf Daniel and of his father/grandfather Jacob Barlitt/Bartlett of PA.

Barry Wetherington, Southfield MI, 248-645-5161, [email protected]


(I do not know what paper it was in because I found it cut out and placed in the family Bible.)

Mrs. Nancy Brandt, perhaps the oldest resident of Crestline, died at her home on South Thoman street Wednesday. She had reached the advanced age of 95 years and 14 daysand had, no doubt, lived in Crestline longer than any other person. The place where Crestline is now built was a vast wilderness when Mrs. Brandt came here with her husband nearly three-fourths of a century ago.

The deceased was born in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, and her maiden name was Nancy Crim. She was united in marriage on March 17, 1831 in her Pennsylvania home to Christian Brandt and they came to Crestline, or where Crestline now stands, in 1839, residing here ever since. It can be seen from the above date that, had she lived until last Sunday, her married life would have extended over a period of 76 years. Arriving in Crestline, Mr. and Mrs. Brandt bought two hundred acres of forest land which they cleared and made this place their home until they died. Seven children were born to Mrs. Brandt, four sons and three daughters, but they have all preceded her to the great beyond except one, Rebecca Brandt, who lives at the homestead. Her husband died July 10, 1873 (*this is wrong - it was 1893). Three grandchildren survive: Rosa and Bert Brandt, of Crestline, and Abe Brandt, of Lorain.

Mrs. Brandt had been in good health up to about two years ago when she suffered a stroke of paralysis and since that time has not had the use of her limbs, though she was bedfast only a few days prior to her death. She was a life-long member of the M.E. Church and the funeral services were conducted by Rev. J.W.Dowds, pastor of that church, Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock at her late home on South Thoman street. Mrs. Brandt had one brother in Galion, Henry Crim, who is now 90 years of age but attended the funeral of his sister here last Friday.

***Nancy Crim Brandt died 13 March 1907 and is buried in the Crestline Cemetery with her husband, son and daughter-in-law. I am descended from Abe Brandt, one of her grandchildren mentioned. I do have much more information, but it would only be of interest to other descendents. Thanks for your help. I have always found the obit interesting, but figured that was because I was related to her.

Debbie Brandt Dunham, 35653 Chesterfield Drive, North Ridgeville, Ohio 44039




John P. Curran, 69 of 2543 Holton Avenue, a passenger conductor on the Pennsylvania railroad for half a century died at 6 pm yesterday at St. Joseph's hospital where he had been taken with a ruptured appendix. Mr. Curran had been ill since last Wednesday. A member of St.Patrick's Catholic Church, the Holy Name Society, Fort Wayne Council Knights of Columbus and the Order of Railway Conductors, he had been a resident of the city 45 years. Coming here from Crestline, Ohio. The wife, Rose Curran, died a year ago last February.

Surviving children are Miss Geraldine Curran, at home, Mrs. Al Warner of Pittsburg, Mrs. Robert Monore of Bridgeton N.J., Mrs. W.A. Finn of Toledo, Mrs. C. Gutermuth of Fort Wayne, John and Norbert Curran both of this city, two sisters, Miss Bridget Curran of Crestline and Mrs John McMahan of Canton O. Fifteen Grandchildren also survive. The body was taken to Mungovan & Sons mortuary.

Contributed by Ellen McCarthy Wall [email protected]



(Notes taken from a Newspaper Clipping * 21 June 1893)

Gilman W. Emerson died at his home on Columbus Street, Crestline, Ohio, Sunday evening (21 June 1893) about six o'clock. The deceased has been a sufferer for many years and while death was a relief to him there was much regret felt in Crestline for the man who had been well known here for half a century and just as well liked.

Mr. Emerson suffered a stroke of paralysis about 12 years ago and he has been an invalid almost since that time, although he was able to be around. Five years later he suffered another stroke and for the past few years he has been confined to his home and the greater part of the time to his bed. Through all he has been a patient sufferer until death relieved him in his old age.

G. W. Emerson was a Canadian by Birth and was born in Danville, Canada, on October 19, 1829, the son of Daniel and Huldah Emerson. At the age of eleven he moved to (Canaan) Wayne County and learned the harness making trade. Several years after he moved to Shelby where he worked at his trade and while here was married to his first wife, Mrs. Henrietta Brown. She died fifteen years later. They had no children. After this he was in the restaurant business in Bucyrus for a short time but did not move his family then.

In 1853 he came to Crestline and was associated with T. C. Hall in the old Crestline House where the railroad shops now stand. Later on he was associated with John Mortiz in the same business. While here he bought the ground on which the Emerson house now stands, but sold it in a very short time to Daniel Babst Sr., who erected the hotel, called the Franklin. Mr. Emerson was employed here as a manager of the Franklin hotel restaurant.

Shortly after this he moved to Seville, Medina County, where he has an interest, with his brothers, Charles and Simeon, in a wringer factory (in Akron, Ohio). But he remained here only a year and came back to Crestline and built the original Gibson house, then known as the Emerson Hotel. A short time later he sold out here and the name was changed to the Gibson House, Mr. Emerson securing control of the present Emerson House and giving it its present name. He had held the Emerson Hotel for nearly five years and while here he married the second time, this time to Mrs. Anna Osmond, of New Brighton, Penn., who survives him. This was in 1864. Since leaving the Emerson Hotel he was engaged in business with the late Thos. P. Kerr and Wm. F. Crowe. He retired fifteen years ago.

Not only one of the oldest residents of Crestline, Mr. Emerson was one of the most highly respected. During his long business career he held the very highest esteem with those with whom he became associated. The people of Crestline who knew him the best are the highest in his praises. He lead an exemplary life, never using intoxicating liquors of tobacco. He was liberal, honest and upright.

One of the peculiarities of Mr. Emerson was said to be his wonderful memory. It is said that he knew every statesman or soldier of prominence and before he was stricken with sickness could give the history of all as if reading it from a book. He had a wide acquaintance with men of great renown and liked to tell stories of his personal experience with them. In his death Crestline has lost an honored citizen. He joined the Masonic fraternity at the age of twenty-one years in Mansfield and is still a member of that lodge.

Besides his wife, he leaves two sisters and three brothers. Mrs. Nettie Slutz, of Cleveland; Mrs Mary E. Hines, Benton and Collins Emerson, of Cedar Rapids, Iowa; George W. Emerson of Stockton, Cal. The funeral services were held at the residence Tuesday afternoon, at 3 p.m. Revs. Smith and Upp officiating.

Contributed by: F. C. Emerson [email protected]



(from Paulding County Obituaries * Dated 31 Dec 1942)

Edward Feisel, 68, Hicksville, was found dead in his Milford township home Friday morning by a neighbor, Bert Nichols, who had come to inquire why livestock had not been fed for several days. Mr. Feisel, who lived alone, was last seen alive Tuesday. His wife died in 1932.

Survivors are three sons, Edward and Jerome in military service, and Wilbert of Wapakoneta; three daughters, Mrs. Liguora Spade (sic) Lignori Spaid and Mrs. Pearl Stucky, of Wapakoneta and Mrs. Ruth Kohler, of Urbana; 10 grandchildren.

Submitted by George Feisel, [email protected]


The Fostoria Review Times, July 14, 1937

Henry Herman Feisel, 64, died at noon today, corner of Lincoln and Park streets. He had been ill for one week with pneumonia. The deceased was born in Galion, September 11, 1872, a son of Henry and Margaret (Byers) Feisel. His age at death was 64 years, 9 months and 9 days. He was a resident of Fostoria for thirty one years. He was employed as a machinist, fireman and engineer.

Henry Herman Feisel was married in West Leipsic, Ohio to Miss Mollie Sigler, August 30, 1891. To this union eleven children were born, two having preceded the father in death. Those who survive include the widow; one brother, Ed Feisel; one sister, Mrs. Ida Gould (sic) Gulde; and the following children: Mrs. Hilda Leach, Detroit, Michigan; Archie Feisel, Wellington; Clyde Feisel, Tama, Iowa; Mason Feisel, Fostoria; Mrs. Rita Potteiger, Detroit, Michigan; Charles Feisel, Twin Lakes, Wis.; George Feisel, Adrian, Michigan; Albert Feisel, at home; and Mrs. Mary Turner, Fostoria. Twenty three grandchildren also survive.

Funeral services will be held Saturday at 1:30 p.m. at the Harrold Funeral Home, Rev. C. E. Clessler officiating. Burial will be made in Fountain Cemetery.

Contributed by: George Feisel, [email protected]




Wm. Grandstaff Passes Away in 76th Year

(Unidentified Newspaper * February 21 (or 22) 1920)

William N. Grandstaff, Civil War veteran, and most highly respected citizen of Bucyrus, passed away at his home on West Oakwood avenue Sunday evening at 9:30 o'clock. Death was due to a complication of diseases from which he had been suffering since the first of January, being in a serious condition the past week.

William Grandstaff was a son of Moses and Amanda (Bowers) Grandstaff and was born in Morrow county July 17, 1844. At the age of six he moved with his parents to Licking county residing there until his marriage to Miss Hester Grandstaff [daughter of Lewis & Elenor Coverdale Grandstaff], which occurred February 28, 1867. Mrs. Grandstaff passed away on the 3rd of November 1902.

When the Civil War broke out and the call came for volunteers Mr. Grandstaff was a boy of 17, but he felt the need of his services and answered his country's call by enlisting with the 121st Ohio volunteers. He was wounded in the battle of Kenisaw Mountain and was discharged September 20, 1864.

After his marriage he resided on a farm in Delaware county moving to this city 31 years ago. He was a member of the Christian Union church in Licking county, and since his residence in this city has attended the First Methodist church. Mr. Grandstaff was a man of good character and a highly respected citizen. He was past commander of Keller Post G. A. R. of which he was a member.

One daughter, Miss Ora Grandstaff at home, two sons, James A. of Bucyrus, Harvey M. of Toledo, two grandchildren Mrs. B. J. Carl of Detroit, Mrs. William Langley of Youngstown and one great-grandchild Virginia Marie Carl of Detroit survive. There are also two brothers, Winfield Grandstaff of Delaware county and Elva of Granville. Funeral services will be held from the home Wednesday afternoon at 1 o'clock with Rev. W. H. Miller officiating.

This obituary is of my 3-g grandfather, William GRANDSTAFF.)

Contributed by Cassie Langley Brown [email protected]



(Crawford County Forum, 6 November 1875)

-----Horace HEALY, born February 5th, 1808, died at North Robinson, November 5, 1875, aged 67 years, eight months and 11 days. He leaves a wife and 11 children to mourn his loss. Father Healy was one of the first settlers of Holmes Township. He removed to North Robinson in 1835 where he resided until his death. He was a Democrat, had good morals, was a good citizen and generally beloved.

ADAM HOFFMAN * An Honored Citizen Gone.

Unidentified Newspaper * March 17, 1901

Though in a measure prepared for the news, our people were shocked yesterday afternoon to learn of the death of Adam Hoffman, which occurred at his home on Bucyrus street, at 2:30 o’clock. Mr. Hoffman had been sick for some months, and very seriously so since January. Some weeks ago the physicians pronounced his case hopeless, yet he made a brave fight for life, yielding only after a long struggle to the Grim Destroyer.

Adam Hoffman was born in Lindenfels, Hessen Darmstadt, Germany, in February, 1832, being at the time of his death in his 61st year. He came to America in 1852, remaining for a time in Pennsylvania, but came the same year to Ohio, settling at Crestline, where he has since resided. For some years he engaged in farming, and then went into the bakery and grocery business with his brother John, the partnership continuing twenty-three years. He retired from business about a year ago.

Mr Hoffman was married about forty years ago to Miss Lovina Coyer, to this union were born thirteen children, six of whom, with their widowed mother, survive to mourn the death of an exemplary husband and father. Last summer Mr. Hoffman made a trip to Germany, remaining one month. He has not been really well since his return. At the time of his death he was one of the water works trustees, and had held many offices of trust. He was widely known all through this section, and his business sagacity, genial manners and unbending probity gave him the highest position in the esteem of his fellow citizens. He was kind, liberal, and faithful to every trust. In his death the community suffers a heavy loss, and all sympathize with his family in their great bereavement.

Funeral services will be held from the German Reformed church, Saturday afternoon at two o’clock. Services will be conducted by the pastor, Rev. P. S. Kohler. Interment in the city cemetery. He was a prominent Odd Fellow, and the services at the grave will be conducted by that order.

Submitted by Patricia Caldwell [email protected]



(contributed by Kristina Stearley [email protected]
date & newspaper not identified * from the Florence Siefert Scrapbook)

(P.55)--Funeral services in respect to the memory of William W Ilger were held at the family residence Friday afternoon at three o'clock. These last sad rites to the remains of an honored citizen were conducted by Rev. Arthur H. Smith, Pastor of Trinity Lutheran in the communion and fellowship which Mr. Ilger had lived for many years.

Rev. J. M. Merrill, of the Congregational church, assisted Mr. Smith. In opening the services Mr. Smith read the familiar and beautiful passage from the Scriptures beginning: "I am the Resurrection and the life; he that believeth on me, though he were dead, yet shall he live." The choir sang "Come unto me when shadows darkly gather," after which Mr. Smith read as a further scripture lesson parts of St. Matthew thirteenth chapter and Revelation twenty- first chapter. A fervent prayer was offered by Mr. Merrill. Another hymn, "My Jesus, as thou wilt," was sung by the choir, the beautiful and appropriate words touching a responsive chord in the hearts of the many people assembled, to do the last honors to their old and well beloved friend.

Mr. Smith then began his sermon. Before announcing his text he paid an eloquent and well-deserved tribute to the high character and Christian life of the deceased. The minister had been deeply impressed, he said, by the unvarying and decided way in which Mr. Ilger's friends and neighbors, and men in every walk of life, told of his honesty and integrity, and he then added, "This man made conscience the guide of his life." While on this part of his discourse Mr. Smith spoke pointedly and with marked feeling of the lessons to be drawn from the study of such a life, and offered some excellent suggestions as to making the most of this good example. He announced as his text St. Matthew, thirteenth chapter - previously read -- and forty-third verse: "Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father." The sermon, of which this was the basis, was an able and interesting one, replete with comfort for the bereaved relatives. It is a matter of regret that it is impossible least give a synopsis of it. It was particularly well adapted to the occasion.

--The funeral of a Christian gentleman wherein grief at the loss of a true friend is mitigated to a great extent by the reflection that his life was good and pure, and his death but the transfer to a brighter clime where eternal sunshine gilds a land of peace. The services closed with a hymn by the choir. The pall-bearers were Jacob Sheets, Peter Redding, W.G. Heitman, H. D. Jones, Jacob Kosht and H. D. Moore. The remains were interred on the family lot in the Ashland cemetery, and were followed to their last resting place by a large concourse of friends.

Not unexpected to his nearest friends, was the announcement Tuesday afternoon that William W Ilger was dead. Ever since last spring, when he first suffered from heart failure, he had gradually but surely gone to his death. Each time he was stricken--and he suffered several attacks--he came out of them weaker than he went in. On a Tuesday afternoon he went to his barn to fix the straw in a stall for his son Charles' horse and while there the last spell came on him; he lay down on the straw and passed to his death quietly and peacefully. He held his hat in his hand when found and one leg was drawn up as if to ease his body.

Today (Thursday) was to have been the 50th anniversary of his marriage and his children's families were coming home to celebrate the usually happy occasion. Mrs. Charles Ilger and Ned, of Mt. Vernon, came in on the afternoon train and the old gentleman was about the yard. He came in to see them, but as they were up stairs, he went to the barn and a half hour later Mrs. Ilger, feeling that he had been away for some time, followed down, where she found him as described above. She gave alarm, and soon willing hands carried him into the saddened home. The grief stricken family, knowing that their anniversary of rejoicing had been turned into a time of mourning, gave expression to their deep grief in silent tears.

Mr. Ilger was born in Berks county, Pa., June 27, 1813, and was therefore in his 80th year. He was married to Mahala Swineford Sept. 15, 1842, and lived within two days of 50 years with her. He leaves three children, Charles, George and Mrs. Clara Wiley. Mr. Ilger's life has been an open book; there was nothing to conceal and every page of it was white. He was a good, true, pure man who went in and out with the good wishes of every neighbor he ever had. He was kind to his family, considerate of their wants and had a cheering word for each of them. He was indeed the protector of his two grand children, who have lived with him, for several years, and in death they have lost an earthly friend whose place can not be filled.

(P.56) On this day (Thursday) his golden wedding anniversary was to have been celebrated and it was the wish of the old gentleman's heart that he might have lived to greet his friends on the occasion, but God ruled it otherwise. Instead of celebrating it, his body will be borne to the grave, there to rest in peace and quiet. Death was swift and sudden, but he was prepared for it no matter how or when it came. Peace to his ashes.

* * * * * * *

---Mrs Catherine Ilgar, Morenci, Mich., came to Ashland to attend the funeral of her brother, W. W. Ilger, and left on Tuesday. Mrs. Kate Seafort, of New Washington, O., came for the same purpose, and remained also for a visit with friends.





(Fort Wayne Newspaper 1/11/1934)

Jeremiah W. (Jerry) McCarthy aged 75 retired passenger engineer for the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, died Tuesday at 10pm, at his home, 214 East Dewald Street. Mr. McCarthy was in poor health an extended period of time and had been seriously ill about three weeks. He was employed by the Pennsylvania Railroad nearly fifty years, 40 years as an engineer. He was retired March 1, 1928. The deceased entered service of the road as a fireman January 1,1879 and was promoted to engineer March 4, 1882. He had a very good record as an engineer.

Born in Crestline, Ohio, Mr. McCarthy lived in this city 50 years. He was a member of St. Patrick's Catholic Church. Holy Name society, Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus, Brotherhood of Locomotive engineers and Pennsylvania Veterans Association. Surviving are a brother, Michael, retired Nickel Plate passenger engineer and a sister, Mrs. Johanna Harper, both of this city. The body will be returned to the residence this evening from Mungovan & Sons Mortuary.

Funeral services will be held Friday ar 8:30am at the home and at 9 am at St. Patrick's Catholic Church with the Rev. Charles Feltes officiating. Burial in the Catholic Cemetery. Members of the Holy Name Society and Knights of Columbus will meet Thursday at 8 pm at the home for recitation of the rosary.

Contributed by Ellen McCarthy Wall [email protected]



Funeral services for Thomas E. McCarthy, aged 68, 412 E. Suttenfield Street, retired Pennsylvania Railroad Cunductor, will be held Monday at 8:30 am at the home and at 9:00 am at St. Patrick's Catholic Church, the Rev. Lawrence Mohanhan officiating. Burial will be in the Catholic Cemetery. Mr. McCarthy, died Thursday at 8 pm, at his home following an extended illness. The Holy Name Society of the church will meet Sunday at 8pm at the home.

Mr. McCarthy was retired by the Pennsylvania Railroad on August 1, 1934, after 47 years of service. He entered service of the company December 18, 1887, as a freight brakeman. He was born at Crestline, Ohio February 24 1869. He moved to Fort Wayne, 27 years ago. Mr. McCarthy was a member of St. Patrick's Catholic Church, the Holy Name society, and the Order of Railroad Conductors. He is survived by his widow, Dora a son Thomas of this city, a daughter Kathryn at home, a sister Mrs. Mary Donnelly. The body was taken to Mungovan & Sons Mortuary.

Contributed by Ellen McCarthy Wall [email protected]



Thomas E. McCarthy, 47, Fort Wayne businessman, died at 4:50 a.m. today in his residence, 3806 Gaywood Drive where he had been seriously ill the past two months.

Born in Crestline, Ohio, Mr. McCarthy came to Fort Wayne at the age of six months. He was educated in St. Patrick's Catholic School, Central Catholic High School and attended Purdue University.

He was associated 25 years in the men's clothing business in Fort Wayne. Five years ago he became one of three partners of Meyers & McCarthy Men's Wear. Mr. McCarthy was a member of St. Peter's Catholic Church, its Holy Name Society and the Optimists Club.

Survivors are the wife, Marcella; one son, Thomas E. McCarthy lll , at home; one daughter, Ellen Elizabeth, at home; the mother, Mrs. Dora McCarthy, Fort Wayne, and one sister, Mrs. Earl Waters, Cleveland Ohio.

Funeral services will be held at 8:30 a.m. Monday in the Getz & Eikenberry Funeral Home and at 9 a.m. in St. Peters Catholic Church, the V. Rev, Msgr John A. Bapst officiating. Burial will be at the Catholic Cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home after 7 p.m. Saturday. The Holy Name Society will hold services there at 7:30 p.m. Sunday. Meyers & McCarthy Men's Wear will be closed all day Monday.

Contributed by Ellen McCarthy Wall [email protected]


MARQUIS OBERLANDER, 76, of Lykens died at 4:00am

Friday, Jan. 11, 1957, in Bucyrus City hospital.

(Unidentified Newspaper)

Mr. Oberlander was a lifelong resident on the farm on which he was born with the exception of 14 years spent in the U.S. Navy about thirty years ago. He held the rank of Chief Petty Officer during World War One. He was born on Aug. 22, 1880 to Mr. and Mrs. William Oberlander. Mr. Oberlander was the last of a family of ten. The only survivors are nieces and nephews. Services will be held at 10:00a.m. Monday in the Wise Funeral Home, Bucyrus, Ohio, followed by burial in the Broken Sword Cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home Sunday afternoon and evening.

Contributed by:[email protected]



--At the residence of her son, Charles Fowler, in Maple Grove, 8 April 1884, of dropsy, Mrs. Mary Kumler Fowler Palmateer, aged 80 years.

Mrs. Palmateer was born in PA, 2 Feb 1804, and in early life moved to OH. In 1824 she was united in marriage to David Fowler, to whom she bore twelve children, and with whom she continued to live until his decease in 1847. She remained a widow till 1862 when she was married to D. Palmateer. She lived with him until his death in 1882, after which she shared the home and sympathy of her son Charles, until she was called to exchange her earthly home for one "not made by hands, external in the heavens." She has been a member of the Christian church for the last fifteen years and possessed many social and christian virtues.

The funeral was held at the M.E. Church, Wednesday afternoon, Rev. Fassett preaching the sermon. It was attended by a large number of sympathizing friends.

"There remaineth, therefore, a rest to the people of God." 
Rest thee, weary pilgrim, 
All thy earth-work o'er; 
Free from care and sorrow, 
Rest thee, evermore. 
In thy Father's kingdom, 
In they home above, 
Where the storm ne'er rageth, 
Rest thee in his love. 

Mrs. Margret Snyder (Mrs. George) and son Matson, of Shelby OH., and Sam Fowler and wife, of Sheridan MI, children of Mrs. Palmateer, deceased, attended the funeral on Wednesday. Unable to attend were: Thomas of Hart MI, Mary Jane (Mrs. Hiram Barron) of New Watcon WA, William of MI, Elizabeth (Mrs. James M. Young) of Montague MI, David of Fremont MI and James of Nashville MI.



We desire to express our heartfelt thanks to the kind friends who extended us their help and sympathy during the illness, and at the burial of our mother. Mr. and Mrs. Charles Fowler.

This newspaper obituary was in a newspaper in Nashville, Barry, MI. Maria is buried in a local cemetery there with sons, Charles and James. Maria lived in Auburn Twp, Richland (in 1846 changed to Crawford County) from 1826 until 1852, moving from Wayne County OH.

Submitted by Cliff Shaw [email protected]

February 22, 1918 - Delaware Gazette, Delaware, OH


Birth and death has come to Mr. John A. Purkey, former Delaware resident, on the same day of the month. At the age of 78 years Mr. Purkey suddenly passed away at 2:45 o'clock Sunday afternoon at the home of a relative in Detroit, Michigan, to which place he had accompanied his daughter, Mrs. J. H. Booth of Dennison, on Saturday to attend the funeral services of a sister-in-law.

Mr. Purkey was well known in Delaware, to which place he came from Galion in 1876. He was employed with the Big Four Railroad from 1862 to 1910. From 1876 until 1910, when he retired under the new pension system, Mr. Purkey was blacksmith foreman of the Big Four Shops in this city.

For the past year and a half the deceased had made his home with his sister [daughter] Mrs. Booth. Mr. Purkey is survived by one son, Mr. John E. Purkey of Alliance. The body will be brought to Delaware Tuesday afternoon, and taken to the Morrison undertaking rooms, where funeral services will be held at one o'clock Wednesday afternoon conducted by Rev. D. Luther Edwards.


Funeral services over the remains of Mr. John A. Purkey, a former Delaware resident who died suddenly at Detroit, were held Wednesday afternoon at the Morrison undertaking chapel conducted by Rev. D. Luther Edwards. The pallbearers were: G. Wortz, James McCaken, and Prof. John Booth. Burial was made in Oak Grove Cemetery. Attending the services were from out of the city were Prof. & Mrs. J. Booth of Dennison; Mr. & Mrs. John Purkey and family of Alliance; Miss Amelia Godfrey, Mrs. W. Snyder; Mr. & Mrs. Fipps; Mr. Lewis Spraw of Galion; Mr. James McCaken of Canton and Mr. & Mrs. Miller of Columbus.

Contributed by DONNA BOOTH [email protected]



(Crawford County Forum, 7 June 1870)

---Died, in Bucyrus Township, on Saturday, January 2d, 1870, George SINNS, in the 77th year of his age.

He is born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, November 20th, 1793, removed to Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, in 1809, and was married in 1816 to Sarah Hawk, who survives him. He removed to Clearfield County, Pennsylvania, in the Spring of 1823, and in October 1826 to Crawford County, Ohio, where he has since resided. He leaves seven surviving children, thirty-eight grandchildren, and twenty-seven great-grandchildren. He served as a volunteer in the last war with Great Britain and was Auditor of Crawford County from December 5th, 1836 to March 6th, 1843; the first three months by appointment of the Crawford County Commissioners, and the remainder of the time by three successive elections by the people. In every sense of the word, whether a soldier, citizen, officer, neighbor, parent or friend, he was a good man, and as such his memory will be long and tenderly cherished.



(Fort Wayne Journal Gazette * March 26, 1998)

Kathryn E. Waters of Fort Wayne died Monday at Meadowbrook Care Center in Montgomery Ohio. The Crestline, Ohio native was preceded in death by her husband, Earl G. in 1991. Surviving are a son, Jerry E. of Cincinnati; three grandchildren; and one greatgrandchild. Services are 12 noon Friday at D.O. McComb & Sons Maplewood Park Funeral Home, 4017 Maplecrest Road. Calling is from 6 to 9 p.m. today. Burial will be in the Catholic Cemetery. Memorial are to the American Heart Association Northeast Indiana Region.

Contributed by Ellen McCarthy Wall [email protected]

The Death Angel Summons the Soul of Mrs. Lucy Welshon

Mrs. Lucy Renington Welshon, the wife of Mr. Stephen Welshon, quietly passed away at her home just east of town, in Richland Co. on Jan. 26, 1901at about 5:00 o'clock a. m. of heart trouble.

She had not been in good health for some time, but was feeling about as well as usual. She called her husband to her bedside Saturday morning, but when he reached her she was dying and unable to utter a parting word to him. The Death Angel came while she slept only to waken her for a moment and then seal her eyes forever in that long sleep.

The funeral were held in the M. E. Church Monday at 1:30 after which her remains were laid to rest in the City Cemetery. Mrs. Welshon was born at Shellsburg, Pa, Feb. 8, 1834, in which place she was united in marriage Oct. 24, 1857. In February 1858 she with her husband moved to Crestline where she has ever since resided. She was the mother of four children–two of whom died in infancy. One son Goodman lives in Tiro and Elwood lives here.

She was a member of the M. E. Church of this city for a number of years.

Submitted by Patricia Caldwell [email protected]


March 17, 1907

Stephen Welshon, a resident of Crestline for more than fifty years, died last Sunday evening at the home of his son, E. W. Welshon, on Wiley street, after an illness of six weeks. His age was 77 years 5 months and 29 days.

Stephen Welshon was born in Westmoreland County Pa Sept 18, 1829. At the age of 18 he went to Shellburg Pa to learn the cabinet maker’s trade. He was there about two years when he went to San Francisco Cal. and was engaged in the mining and carpenter business there about 5 years when he returned to Schellburg and was married to Miss Lucinda Rininger. The same year, 1854, he came to Crestline and he and William Rininger were engaged in business as cabinet makers. After being in this business for about 2 years, he sold out to his partner William Rininger who now lives in Lexington and went to work for the Pennsylvania Company. He worked in the Pennsylvania yards here until 1881 when he had an arm taken off while making a coupling for a brakeman, he being conductor. After this he worked at the target at the Pennsylvania and Big Four crossing until six years ago when he went to work at the Bucyrus street crossing of the Big Four. Here he worked until six weeks ago, when he took sick. His wife died Jan 28, 1901 and since that time had made his home with William Peppard until six weeks ago when he went to live with his son E. W. Welshon on Wiley street. He is survived by 2 sons, E. W. Welshon of Crestline, and G. P. Welshon of Tiro, two children dying in infancy. He has a brother and a sister living, Ambrose Welshon of New Florence Pa. and Mrs Margaret Taylor of Butler Pa., seven grandchildren and one great grandchild.

The funeral was held from the Methodist church Tuesday afternoon at l:30 o’clock, Rev. J. W. Dowds, officiating.

Those from out of town who attended the funeral of Stephen Welshon Tuesday were Mr. & Mrs. G. P. Welshon and two sons, Mr. And Mrs. E. Rininger of Tiro; Mrs. Rininger of Seattle Wash.; Mr. and Mrs. G. V. Haas of Mansfield; Mr. and Mrs. L. V. Welshon of Bellville; Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Welshon of Latrobe, Pa; Albert Welshon of Chicago; Clyde Welshons of Lorain; and George Rook of Allegheny.

Submitted by Patricia Caldwell [email protected]

<< Back to Crawford County, Ohio