Biographies



SURNAMES: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
BACON, FISHER, HOUSTON biography for Milton L. Houston

Milton L. HOUSTON, M. D., capitalist, Springfield; is a native of Clark County, a son of Robert Houston, 31. D. Both the father and son have been prominent as physicians and capitalists of South Charleston. Joseph Houston was one of the pioneer settlers of Buck Creek Valley; he came from Kentucky in 1809, and settled about four miles to the northeast of Springfield. His wife was a sister of Maddox Fisher, Sr. Robert was born in Kentucky, and was about 9 years of age when his parents came to this county. He studied medicine, and did a quite extensive practice in the vicinity of South Charleston, and accumulated a large property. The subject of this sketch was born in South Charleston in 1830; he received his education at the Springfield High School, and graduated at Starling Medical College in the spring of 1851, being a little less than 21 years of age; he subsequently practiced at South. Charleston, and was identified with the business of that place; was proprietor of a drug-store and for several years Postmaster, and was one of the consistent members of the First National Bank of South Charleston, and remained a stockholder until after the surrender of the charter and its re-organization as a private bank. Mr. Houston owns a considerable amount of real estate in and about South Charleston, and also has a valuable tract of land in Champaign Co Ill.; is a stockholder in the St. John Sewing Machine Company, and a capitalist of considerable prominence. Having abandoned the practice of med-icine, Mr. Houston removed to Springfield in 1870, and has since resided here, his time being occupied in looking after his different property and moneyed interests. His residence is a handsome property, located at No. 155 South Limestone Street. He married, in 1857, Miss Mary C., daughter of John A. Bacon they have three children.

HELFREY, HERTZLER, HUFFMAN biography for Samuel Huffman

Samuel HUFFMAN, coal dealer, Springfield, is the youngest son of Jacob Huffman a pioneer of Boston neighborhood. He was born in 1832 on the farm, which includes a part of the Clark-Shawnee battleground. The sub-ject of this sketch learned the milling trade, commencing when only 16 years of age and continued milling upward of twenty years. He superintended the construction of the Peru Mills when built by Daniel Hertzler, in 1867, and which he subsequently operated several years, and finally became owner. He became a resident of this city about 1867, and has since resided here; he sold his mill in 1873, and engaged in the hardware trade one year, then changed and operated a grocery store; Jan. 1, 1880, his son Stephen took charge of the grocery, and he engaged in the retail coal trade; his office is located at 173 West Main street. Mr. Huffman is personally popular as a trader, and by his energy and business ability, has already established a flourishing trade which is constantly increasing. He married in 1855, Margaret Helfrey, of German Township, by whom he had three children. In 1865, his wife having died, he married Barbara, daughter of Daniel and Catharine Hertzler, who were na-tives of Pennsylvania and early residents of Clark County. Mr. Hertzler was a prominent miller on Mad River, and a few years since the victim of a noted murder, an account of which will be found in this work. From this marriage he had three children. Mr. Huffman's residence is 177 West Main street. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. and a worthy citizen.

HUFFMAN, TENNANT biography for David C. Huffman

David C. HUFFMAN, M.D., physician, Springfield; is a native of Clark County and a grandson of the pioneer Jacob Huffman, who located at what was called New Boston. The subject of this sketch is a son of Jacob and Sarah (Tennant) Huffman. She was a daughter of David and Elizabeth Tennant, who came to Clark County from Lancaster, Penn., about 1830. Jacob Huffman, Jr., was a miller by trade and for a number of years, with his brother, was proprietor of the "Peru Mills;" also operated a stone quarry, and at one time was engaged in mer-chandising. He died Feb. 3, 1877. His widow and five children survived him, of whom David C. is the oldest son. He was born near Enon in 1855; graduated from the Miami Medical College in 1878, and immediately located here in Springfield and rapidly built up a practice, which warranted him in taking Dr. Driscol into partnership. This partnership was formed in 1879, and still exists. Drs. Huffman and Driscol are young men possessed of cult-ure, native skill and energy, as is proven by the extent of their practice, built up in so short a time. Dr. Huffman is the only one now here of six young phy-sicians who located in Springfield in 1878. The fact that he was born and raised here speaks volumes in favor of his character, both as a citizen and a physician, for "A prophet is not without honor save in his own country," does not apply in his case. He is a member of the Clark County Medical Society, and a member of its Board of Censors.

ACKERSON, ARTHUR, DONNEL, HUFFMAN, MORRIS biography for Lewis C. Huffman

Lewis C. HUFFMAN, retired farmer; P.O. Springfield; is one of the old residents of Clark County; he is a native of Virginia, born in 1810. His parents, Herbert W. and Sarah (Arthur) Huffman, came to this county in 1816, and settled in the School Sec. 16, Springfield Township, where they continued to reside until the decease of the father. The mother's decease occurred in Springfield in 1843. They had a family of six sons and one daughter, of whom five sons and one daughter are living. The subject of this sketch remained on the farm until about 18 years of age, then came to Springfield and learned the carpenter's trade, in which he was engaged several years. In 1840 he married Elizabeth J., daughter of James Donnel, a pioneer of Bethel Township. After his marriage, Mr. Huffman purchased a farm in the vicinity of the old home-stead and engaged in farming, which he continued until 1875, when he re-turned to Springfield, and in the following year built the handsome residence, corner of South Limestone and Mulberry streets, which has since been his family residence. He still owns the farm where he first began domestic life, but has retired from active labor. Mrs. Huffman was born in this county, and both have resided here from their childhood. They are members of the Trinity Bap-tist Church. They have three children -- Mrs. Thomas C. Ackerson, Mrs. C. W. Morris and J. Donnel. They also raised an adopted daughter, Maggie, who is still with them.

BREWSTER, HUNT biography for Dr. Richard W. Hunt

Dr. Richard W. HUNT, deceased, was born in Greenwich, Cumberland Co., N.J., in 1780. His father, John Hunt, was one of forty men who, in 1774, took possession of a cargo of tea bound for Philadelphia, which cargo was sent up the Cohonsey River, to Greenwich, where the chests were piled together and burned. This was shortly after the destruction of the tea in Boston Harbor. Dr. Hunt's mother, Anne Brewster, was a great-granddaughter of Elder William Brewster, who came over in the Mayflower. Dr. Hunt studied medicine in New Jersey and in 1807, he, with some friends, came to Cincinnati, where he learned that there was no physician in Springfield, and that the country was settling rapidly; so in that year he came here and commenced practice: he boarded at Griffith Foos' tavern, and rode far and near, with no roads but Indian trails or cow paths; in 1812 he was appointed surgeon of the 2d Regiment, 4th Brigade, 1st Division of Ohio militia, which regiment was commanded by Col. John Dougherty. Dr. Hunt was present at the council with the Indians where Te-cumseh refused to disarm the Indians, and is said to have been the one who offered that chief the clay pipe which was so indignantly refused. The grove where this council was held was the property of Dr. Hunt (It was a little west and south of what is now known as Vone & Blee's brewery.) He lived to see great changes in the little log towns. In 1818, he wrote to a friend: "Our county last winter was divided into three, and Springfield was made a seat of justice of one, viz, Clark County, though as yet we have no court house. We have four public houses, eleven stores, three physicians, three attorneys, and me-chanics of every description; one mill alone in this town manufactures thirty barrels of flour per day; one speculator has sent this season, from this county, 1,300 barrels of flour and 300 barrels of pork to the Orleans market." Dr. Hunt died in Springfield on the 24th day of January, 1848.

FORBES, HUNTINGTON, KELLY, KIRKPATRICK, MCCLINTOCK, PIERCE, PILKINGTON, SWANEY biography for William Huntington

William HUNTINGTON, retired farmer; P. O. Springfield. Mr. Huntington is one of the few pioneers who have passed their fourscore years; he was born June 15, 1800, in Franklin Co., Penn.; he followed "wagoning" between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia for twenty years; he came to Ohio and to this county in 1835, and purchased and settled on a farm of 160 acres which comprised what is now the "Clark County Fair Grounds," and some of the ad-joining lots. He continued "wagoning" for five years after he came to this county, making four trips across the mountains, once to Philadelphia, and three times to Baltimore; and the remainder of the time between Columbus and Cin-cinnati; since then has devoted his attention to farming. He was married Feb. 19,1839 to Martha Kirkpatrick, daughter of Hugh and Rachael (Kelly) Kirkpatrick. They had four children, viz., George W., Ann E., Hugh K. and Rachael C., all of whom are married; George to Annie Swaney; Annie to Ar-thur Forbes. Hugh to Hannah D. Pierce; and Rachael to Edwin McClintock. Mr. Huntington's first wife, Martha, died in May, 1862; he was again married in 1864; this time to Ellen Pilkington. Our subject is the son of Nathaniel and Rachael (Kelly) Huntington. There is an incident in the relationship of William that is worthy of notice. As appears, the maiden name of both his and his first wife's mother was Rachael Kelly, but they were not related to each other. Mr. Huntington was a member of the Presbyterian Church for twenty-three years, and in 1866 removed his membership to the Methodist Episcopal Church of which he is still a member.

JACOBS, STUART biography for Joseph G. Jacobs

Joseph G. JACOBS, druggist and pharmacist, Springfield. Just fifty years ago, Isaac and Letitia Jacobs, with a little son of two years, emigrated from Lancaster Co., Penn., to this county, settling in Harmony Township, their entire worldly store being one wagon and three horses. In those comparatively primitive days, turnpikes were unknown in these parts, railroads had not even troubled the inventor's brain, and the village of Springfield boasted a popula-tion of one thousand souls. Times were hard, trials and hardships many and fortune rolled on leaden wheels. But the sturdy and unflagging spirit of indus-try and continued perseverance won, and Mr. and Mrs. Jacobs were rewarded by ample and satisfactory success. They raised six sons and one daughter. Two of the former served in the Union army through the war, and one for a period of four months. Their youngest son, Joseph G. Jacobs, was born in Harmony Township on Nov. 3, 1850, entered Prof. Chandler Robbins' Preparatory School in 1863, which he left in 1868, and spent five years teaching school in Clark and Greene Counties. In 1873, he engaged in the drug business in Springfield, and is now junior member of the firm of Troupe & Jacobs, doing a prosperous business on the southeast corner of Main and Market streets. His father died at the age of 65, and his venerable mother is at 70, still living in Springfield and in good health. In 1876, Mr. Jacobs led to the altar Miss Una Stuart, of Clifton, Greene Co., the beautiful and accomplished daughter of Elder R. and Rachael E. Stuart - of one of the oldest families in this country and of remarkable longevity, her grandmother Stuart dying Sept.23 of this year (1880) at the ripe age of 82, having raised a family of eight sons and one daughter, all living and well-to-do and in their teens, the parents of large fam-ilies, all save one of whom are living in this and Greene Counties. Mr. and Mrs. Jacobs have a boy of 6 months (Fred P.) and a daughter of 2 years (Grace Iva), both children of unusual sprightliness and beauty. Mr. Jacobs is a member of Lagonda Council, No. 151, Royal Arcanurn, and with his wife members in excellent standing of the Second Presbyterian Church. Be is a young man of pleasing address, many friends, full of energy-, enjoys the excel-lent opinion of those who know him, and his future promises well.

HAMILTON, JACOBS, STERLING biography for Edward N. Jacobs

Edward N. JACOBS, farmer: P.O. Springfield. Mr. Jacobs was born in Lancaster Co., Penn., April 2, 1837; lived at home until 1862, when he enlisted in the 44th O. V. I. during the rebellion, and was honorably discharged at the close of the war. He was married, Feb. 7, 1867, to Mary Minerva, daughter of Samuel and Isabella (Hay) Hamilton; their children are Chester A,, Winfleld S., Letta Belle, and Corina May. Edward is the son of Isaac and Letitia (Ster-ling) Jacobs; his parents were both natives of Pennsylvania, and came to Ohio and settled in this county in 1837. Mrs. Jacobs was born in this county July 8, 1849; her father was a native of Virginia, and came to this county and settled in Springfield in an early day. Our subject has always lived on a farm, except the time he was in the army, and three years he was engaged in the dry goods business in New Carlisle, this county; he moved to his present farm in the spring of 1876, where he is pleasantly located; he devotes especial care to the improvement of his stock; also takes pride in the improvement of his farm, and is classed among the best farmers of the county; he is a strict temperance man, and he and his good wife are of a pleasant, social nature, and are not ex-celled in hospitality.

ALEXANDER, JARDINE, VOLL biography for Robert Jardine

Robert JARDINE, plumber, steam and gas fitter, Springfield. Among the many businessmen of this city that should be mentioned is our subject Robert Jardine, plumber, steam and gas fitter. He was born in Dumbarton, near Dumbarton Castle, Scotland, Jan.22, 1852 when 6 years old his father died, leaving the mother with the care of four children. When Robert was 12 years old, he entered a drug store as clerk, where he remained about two year's; he then engaged as bookkeeper of a large wholesale house, where he served some three years, and then began painting at which he worked until August, 1871, when he embarked for America with his sister Marion. The mother died in 1871. James is now living in Colorado, and the rest in Springfield, Ohio. Robert's present business was established in 1870 by his brothers with whom Robert learned the trade. After working for them four years he became one of the firm by buying James' interest, and in December, l879. Robert took sole charge. He was married, Oct.25, 1877, to Mary L. Voll, daughter of Louis and Margaret (Alexander) Voll; their home has been made glad by two charm-ing girls, Mary Alice and Clara L. Mrs. Jardine was born Sept. 27, 1851, in Bavaria, Germany; she came to America with her parents in 1854, and Clark County, Ohio, in 1861. Our subject served as a volunteer in the militia of Scotland three years; he was one of the original members of the Champion City Guards, serving with them five years as Sergeant; is a Master Mason of Anthony Lodge, No.455, F. & A. M.

JEFFERIES biography for D. P. Jefferies

D. P. JEFFERIES, cashier Lagonda National Bank, Springfield. Mr. Jefferies was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, January, 1839, moved to Xenia, Greene Co., Ohio, in 1860, where he was engaged in the sale of agricultural implements until 1868, when he came to Springfield; he was one of the original stockholders and organizers of the "Champion Machine Company" of the city of Spring-field; he was also Secretary of that company until 1871, when he resigned his position as Secretary and engaged in private banking, known as Frye, McMillan & Co., which was succeeded by the Lagonda National Bank, in 1873; he was elected cashier of said bank at its organization, and still continues to fulfill the duties of that office; he is President of the Deardorff, Mellen & Company Manu-facturing Company.

BRUSH, JENKINS, LAW biography for Edward Noah Jenkins

Edward Noah JENKINS, pianos, organs and music, Springfield. E. N. Jenkins was born on Dec. 20, 1853, in Union Co., Ohio, near Marys-ville, and was one of five brothers, one of whom he lost, and his five sisters all are living in Paulding Co., Ohio, except Mrs. Mary Brush, living in Dayton, Ohio. Both his parents are living. Mr. Jenkins has been, in its broadest sense, the carver of his own fortune since early youth, and has a good part of the time assisted his family much financially. When he was 1 year old, his family went to Jay Co., Ind; when 15, he entered the Liber College, remaining until 18; he then went to Winchester, Ohio, where he taught vocal music for three years. Coming to Springfield in 1874, he went into the dry goods business with his uncle, Louis Jenkins, remaining eighteen months, becoming, in the meantime, head clerk, and upon Louis Jenkins deciding to retire from business, E. N. Jenkins closed out his whole stock of $40,000 at auction. After this Mr. Jenkins went into the music business here in connection with (and for) Walker & Co., of Dayton, Ohio, continuing for one year, and in the meantime married on Oct 18, 1877, Miss Lucy Law, of Miltonville, Ohio, the most accomplished and prominent soprano vocalist in that section of the country. Early in 1878, Jenkins went into the music business on his own account, on West Main tin the store now occupied by Charles Schindler; later he moved to East into Aron's jewelry store, and about six months ago to his present choice location in the Brookwalter Block, where he does the leading business in his in the city; in fact, almost the whole business in pianos and organs, repre-senting among others the "Mathushek," "McCammon," "Wheelock," and "Stone" pianos and "Taylor & Forley" and "Sterling" organs. His success has been such as his business tact merits. He is in comfortable circumstances the owner of several nice properties here and a farm in Missouri.

HUMPHREYS, JOHNSON biography for Robert Johnson

Robert JOHNSON, manufacturer, Springfield, was born near Springfield in 1832; he was raised on a farm, but when 18 years of age left the farm learn the carpenter trade, and subsequently following carpentering and until about 1867, during which time he built as contractor many resi-dences and business buildings in the then village of Springfield. On the or-on of the Champion Machine Company in 1867, Mr. Johnson became a member, and has been the efficient and trusted Secretary since 1870. As the history of this establishment appears elsewhere in this work, any detailed statement here would appear superfluous. It will be sufficient to say that Mr. Johnson has shared in the difficulties and enjoyed the triumphs of the management of this vast establishment. He has the immediate general supervision of the manufacturing and has also been Secretary of the Champion Malleable Iron Works since 1873, and is a Director of the Champion Bar and Knife Works. He married in 1860 Miss Adelaide, daughter of William Humphreys, an early and honored resident of Springfield, now deceased, by whom he has four daugh-ters and three sons. Mr. Johnson's residence is No.197 Market street, corner of Pleasant. He is a skilled mechanic, an able business manager and worthy citizen.

HALL, JOHNSON biography for George Johnson

George JOHNSON, retired farmer; P.O. Springfield. Mr. Johnson is a native of Ireland: was born in County Tyrone in 1810; came to the United States in 1849; he first stopped at Berea, in this State, but came to Springfield in the following April, and has resided here since; he has taken an active part in the construction of all the lines of railway in the county, except the C., S. & C. north, and L. M. south, and also all improvements of public roads, etc., made during his residence here. His wife is also a native of Ireland. They were married there in 1837, and have raised a family of three children-Jane (now Mrs. James W. Hall), William and Robert F. The latter is now the local agent of the D. & U. R. R. at Greenville. William has for a number or years been employed at the Driscol carriage factory, and is now foreman of the painting department. Mr. Johnson came from the old country a poor man, seeking to better his condition. Having a brother at Berea, he first located there and went to work in the stone quarry, then being operated in a small way, but finding he could not get money for his work and having some friends here who and urging him to come, he borrowed the money to pay his way for a visit, finding work for which he could get cash; he determined to remain, and accordingly removed his family as soon as he was able. Then he thought himself fortunate to get from 75 to 87A 1/2 cents cash per day, but as the city grew juices advanced, and by industry and economy and a wise investment of his savings in real estate, he became one of the substantial citizens of the city, respected no less for his personal character, than by reason of his financial success.

BURGESS, GARST, JOHNSTON, SERVISS biography for John Johnston

John JOHNSTON, tobacco dealer, Springfield. He was born in this county eight miles west of Springfield, on Donnel's Creek, Feb. 8, 1825; is a son of James and Mary R. (Burgess) Johnston. James was a native of Ireland, born Jan. 5, 1784; Mary, born in Virginia Nov. 11, 1798. They came to Springfield at a very early date, and, in 1816, he completed the old two-story stone house on the south side of Main Street, west of the Rim. While finishing the walls of this building, he also built a small one-story addition, where, 1817, he began the manufacture of cut nails by hand, and the citizens were then supplied with then supplied with the useful and much needed article of domestic manufacturer. The nails used in the erection of Dr. Needham's house were wade by Mr. Johnston. He afterward became a farmer, and erected a sawmill on Donnel's Creek, in Pike Township, where he died Jan. 5, 1847; and his wife him Jan.18, 1865. When John was 12 years old, entered a dry goods store in New Carlisle as clerk. After clerking some eight years, started a store in his own name, and continued in the dry goods business about twenty-eight years; he moved to Springfield in 1868, and went into the tobacco trade, and at pres-ent is the senior partner of the firm of Johnston & Son, wholesale dealers tobacco and cigars. He was married. Nov. 21, 1848, to Mary Garst, to whom three children were born. But two, M. D. and Charles E. are now living. This wife departed this life Feb. 25,1863. He was again married, March 9, 1869. This time to Mrs. Elizabeth Serviss, widow of George Serviss, deceased. Both wives daughters of John Garst. Mr. Johnston is one of the leading members; also one of the Trustees of the Center Street Methodist Episcopal Church.

JOHNSTON, SLACK biography for M. D. Johnston

M. D. JOHNSTON, tobacconist, Springfield. Mr. Johnston is the junior partner of Johnston & Son, wholesale tobacco dealers, Main Street. This house was established in 1868, and is the only wholesale tobacco house in the city. He was born in this county March 3, 1851; attended school until 1; years old, graduating in Harrison's Commercial College of Springfield in his 18th year, when he entered the store of Kidder, Johnston & Co., as book-keeper. In 1878, he was taken into partnership with his father, when the firm was changed to its present name. He was married, Nov. 1, 1875, to Lucy M. Slack, daughter of Peter and Maria Slack. They have three children, two boys and one girl He has been through life so far honorable and upright in all his transactions, adhering strictly to business, and has established beyond a doubt a reputation for truth and veracity. He has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for fifteen years: he was Secretary of the Sunday school of New Carlisle (the place of his birth) two years; and Secretary of the Mission Sunday School of this city one year, and at present is Secretary of the Center Street Methodist Episcopal Sunday School of this city.

DECKERT, KAY biography for Isaac Kay

Isaac KAY, M. D., physician, Springfield; was born in Franklin Co., Penn., Dec 8, 1828, where his parents resided until 1833, when they removed to Bedford Co., Penn. In 1836, they removed to Preble Co., Ohio, where file father soon after died; his widow still survives, being now in the 72d year of her age and resides with her son, Dr. James Kay, of Omaha, Neb. At the age of 18, the subject of this sketch began to read medicine with William Gray, M. D., of Lewisburg, Preble Co. After a three years' course of study, includ-ing two full courses of lectures at Starling Medical College at Columbus, Ohio; he graduated in February, 1849, and commenced the practice of his profession in Lewisburg, where he remained and continued to practice until May, 1853, when he removed to Springfield, and has practiced here since. He married, Nov. 4, 1852, Miss Clara Deckert, of Miamisburg, Montgomery Co. From file children of this union two son are living. He is now Secretary, and has been for many years a member of the Clark County Medical Society, and also a member of the Ohio State Medical Society in each of which he has held impor-tant positions, and made valuable contributions to medical literature. He is a member of the First Baptist Church and a valuable citizen.

DECKERT, KAY biography for Isaac Kay

Isaac KAY, M. D., physician, Springfield; was born in Franklin Co., Penn., Dec 8, 1828, where his parents resided until 1833, when they removed to Bedford Co., Penn. In 1836, they removed to Preble Co., Ohio, where file father soon after died; his widow still survives, being now in the 72d year of her age and resides with her son, Dr. James Kay, of Omaha, Neb. At the age of 18, the subject of this sketch began to read medicine with William Gray, M. D., of Lewisburg, Preble Co. After a three years' course of study, includ-ing two full courses of lectures at Starling Medical College at Columbus, Ohio; he graduated in February, 1849, and commenced the practice of his profession in Lewisburg, where he remained and continued to practice until May, 1853, when he removed to Springfield, and has practiced here since. He married, Nov. 4, 1852, Miss Clara Deckert, of Miamisburg, Montgomery Co. From file children of this union two son are living. He is now Secretary, and has been for many years a member of the Clark County Medical Society, and also a member of the Ohio State Medical Society. in each of which he has held impor-tant positions, and made valuable contributions to medical literature. He is a member of the First Baptist Church and a valuable citizen.

KEIFER, SMITH biography for J. Warren Keifer

J. Warren KEIFER, lawyer and Congressman, Springfield. Con-sidered in all the relations of life, Gen. Joseph Warren Keifer is today the foremost man of Clark County, having made a brilliant record and won a reputation reaching beyond his county and State, and, although yet comparatively a young man, he has been prominent in national affairs for nearly a score of years, and is still manifestly on the rear side of the zenith of his public career. The meager limits of this department of our history will not admit of our doing so illustrious a subject full justice: hence we will not attempt more than a chronological enumeration of the more important events of his life. Gen. Keifer is the son of Joseph and Mary (Smith) Keifer, his father being a native of Washington Co., Md., being an early pioneer (1811) of Clark County, where he was a civil engineer and farmer. His mother was of Hamilton Co., Ohio. He was born Jan.30, 1836, in Bethel Township, this county; was reared on the paternal farm; his education was had in public schools and at Antioch College. In 1855, he commenced the study of law with Gen. Charles Anthony, in Spring-field; was admitted to the bar Jan.12, 1858, practicing his profession thereafter. Upon the inauguration of hostilities in 1861, he volunteered (April 19); was commissioned Major of the 3d O. V. I., and mustered into service on April 27. On the 12th of June the regiment re-enlisted for three years; was assigned to McClellan's command, and participated in the battles of Rich Mountain, Cheat Mountain and Elk Water. In November, 1861, it was transferred to Buell's command, in Kentucky. In February, 1862, Maj. Keifer was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel, and as such was engaged in the campaign against Bowl-ing Green, Nashville and Huntsville. On Sept.30, 1862, he was appointed to the Colonelcy of the 110th O.V. I., joining Milroy's command in Virginia, and, in the winter of 1862-63, commanded the post at Moorefield; was slightly wounded in the battle of Winchester in June, 1863, while commanding a bri-gade; he was severely wounded (having his left arm shattered) at the battle of the Wilderness May 5,1864, and thus quite disabled, but was not thereby pre-vented from joining Sheridan's army at Harper's Ferry with his arm still in a sling. In this maimed condition he was engaged in the battles of Opequon, Fisher's Hill, and Cedar Creek, receiving in the former engagement a shell wound in the thigh, which did not deter him from leading a brigade successfully in the battles occurring almost immediately thereafter. "For gallant and meritorious services in these battles, he was brevetted Brigadier General, and, as such, assigned by President Lincoln Dec.29, 1864, and joined the army in front of Petersburg, taking prominent part in the important engagements just preceding. In 1865, Gen. Keifer was brevetted Major General for "gallant and distinguished services." and was mustered out of services on the 27th of June of that year, after a military service of four years and two months. Returning to Springfield, he resumed the practice of his profession in July, 1865. On Nov. 30,1866, he was appointed Lieutenant. Colonel of the 26th Regular United States Infantry, which he declined. In 1867, he was elected to the Ohio Senate. In 1868, while commander of the "Grand Army of the Republic," he organized the "Board of Control" for the establishment of the "Soldiers' and Sailors' Orphans' Home" at Xenia, of which the State assumed control in 1870, making Gen. Keifer one of its Trustees. In. 1876, he was elected to the Forty-fifth Congress from the Eighth Congressional District of Ohio by a handsome Republican majority of 3,716 votes; being two years later re-elected in the Fourth District over W. Vance Marquis by 5,090 votes, receiv-ing three fifths of the whole vote cast. In the October State election of the year 1880, he received as representative of the Eighth District 5,918 majority; the largest ever polled by any candidate in this district. In the Forty-fifth Congress he served on the Committee on "War Claims," and in the Forty-sixth on the "Elections" Committee. He has taken a very prominent and important part in the recent Presidential canvass, and much of the signal success of his Party in Ohio, being due to his well-directed and able efforts. Among the General's notable speeches may be mentioned his oration of Jan. 22,1878, at Newark, Ohio, before a "State Re-union of Soldiers and Sailors," on the anniversary of the death of that gallant and noble chieftain Gen. James B. McPherson, its title being "Ohio's Contribution, Sacrifice and Service in the War." The law firm of which the General is senior partner (Keifer, White & Rabbitts); do a large and lucrative practice. On March 22, 1860, Gen. Keifer married Miss Eliza S. Stout, of Clark County who has borne him four children - James W., Jr.. William White, Horace Charles and Margaret E., all of whom are now at school, the two oldest being at Antioch College. The General is a member of Clark Lodge, No.101, of F. & A. Masons; he is a man of the people, His career has been a splendid one and with his robust health, iron constitution, excellent habits and mental and physical vigor, he is doubtless destined to occupy yet more exalted places in the service of his admiring constituency. He is a man of great personal magnetism, a ponderous earnest, deliberate and pointed speaker, sincere and firm in his convictions, pronounced in his views, a devoted friend and generous enemy; a man of strong home and local attachments and loyal to his friends, and whose fullest confidence he enjoys.

KELLY, MCBETH, MCINTIRE, PECK biography for O. S. Kelly

O. S. KELLY. Champion Works, Springfield: is a native of Clark County; son of John Kelly, who was a native of Kentucky, and came with his father's family to Ohio in 1806. They settled in Green Township, then a part of Champaign County, where John grew to manhood and took part in the war of 1812; his father, James Kelly, was a soldier of the Revolution from the colony of Virginia, and raised a large family-eight sons and four daughters-most of whom have descendants now residing in this county. The subject of this sketch was born on a farm adjoining the old homestead, which his father purchased after his marriage with Margaret, daughter of Alexander McBeth, who was also an early resident of that part of the county. His father died Dec. 23, 1824, when he was but 10 years old, but his mother remained on the farm, and was married a second time about four years later. Oliver S. remained at home until 14 years of age, when circumstances compelled him to leave home and take care of himself, but fortunately he found a home with W. F. McIntire, familiarly known as "Uncle Billy," with whom he remained assisting on the farm until the spring of 1842, when he came to Springfield and began a carpenter apprenticeship with Joseph McIntire, a brother of his foster parent, serving three years, for which he received $168, in addition to his instruction in the trade and board. After which he worked as journeyman about one year, when he entered into partnership with J. A. Anderson, and the firm of Anderson & Kelly were leading builders and contract-ors until the spring of 1852, when the partnership was dissolved and Mr. Kelly went to California, leaving his wife and one child here. After a stay of nearly four years having accumulated enough money for a start, he returned to Springfield in 1806, and for a short time was connected with a wholesale grocery house. Jan. 1, he became a member of the firm of Whiteley, Fassler & Kelly; he being taken in partly because he was a wood mechanic, but more particularly because he had a few thousand dollars in ready money, an article which was very scarce in the infant days of this firm, which has since developed into one of the most important agricultural manufactories of the world. Mr. Kelly was married, Dec. 23,1847, to Ruth Ann, daughter of B. W. Peck, an old resident of Spring-field, having removed here from Bridgeton, N. J., coming from Baltimore to Pitts-burgh by wagon, and then on a "flat" down the Ohio to Cincinnati, where he left his family and came on foot to Springfield, and, having determined to locate here, secured a team and brought his family. Mrs. Kelly is also a native of Clark County: was born in Springfield Dec.24, 1822. They have two children living - O. W. and E. S. Mr. Kelly, it will be seen, commenced the battle of life at the age of 14 without means or friends, though he soon found the latter in Mr. and Mrs. McIntire, whom he will ever gratefully remember, and by his own industry, frugality and energy, steadily, though at first slowly, gained his way to the posi-tion he now occupies as a manufacturer and citizen of this city. Mr. Kelly, while belonging to no sect or society, gives liberally his sympathy and support to all methods for the general good of the city. His residence, southwest corner of South Market and Mulberry streets, compares favorably with the elegant homes with which this part of the city abounds.

CREIGHTON, KENNEY, MASKILL biography for Elam Kenney

Elam KENNEY, deceased. This deceased pioneer was born in Paris, Ky., Nov. 1, 1803, and was the son of David and Martha Kenney, natives of that State. His father having died, his mother with seven children came to Springfield, Ohio, in 1807, where Elam, who was the youngest in the family, grew to manhood. He learned the blacksmith trade, which he followed until about fifteen years previous to his death, when he retired from active business. He was married, July 20,1843, to Charlotte Maskill, daughter of Robert and Isa-bel Maskill, natives of England, who came to Clark Co., Ohio, in 1820, and settled in Harmony Township; afterward moving to Union Co., Ohio, where both died. Mrs. Kenney was born in Yorkshire, England, May 3, 1814, and had four children by this union, viz., David C. (deceased), Mary (the wife of H. J. Creigh-ton, of Springfield), Elam W. (deceased), and Robert M., who is one of the leading coal dealers of this city. Mr. Kenney died Nov. 18, 1872, and his widow is residing in a handsome residence on Jefferson skeet. He began life a poor, penniless boy, but by hard, constant industry, and steady, saving habits, he amassed a comfortable estate. He was an upright honest man, whom all respected.

CREIGHTON, KENNEY, MASKILL biography for Robert M. Kenney

Robert M. KENNEY, miller and coal dealer, Springfield; is a son of Elam Kenney, who was a native of Kentucky, born at the present site of Paris in 1804. His father removed from Kentucky in the year 1808. On account of his objections to slavery, he desired to raise his family in the atmosphere of freedom, and accordingly came to Ohio and settled in the vicinity of Springfield, on the now Clifton Pike. Here Elam grew to man-hood, learned the blacksmith's trade, and first commenced business for himself on the lot on Main Street now occupied by Humphreys & Carter's tin store. After his marriage with Charlotte Maskill, this same site became his residence. Mrs. Kenney's parents were among the early settlers of Harmony Township, but subsequently sold out and removed to Union County. About the time of his marriage, Mr. Kenney engaged in the liver" business, which he soon after sold out, and having invested his means in real estate retired from active labor, and devoted his attention to his property interests until his decease, which occurred in November, 1872. His wife and two children survived him. Mrs. H. J. Creighton is a daughter. Robert M., who had come to look after the property to a large extent previous to his father's death, now took charge, and, in 1876, opened a coal yard on Washington street, between Factory and Mechanic streets, and has established a desirable trade. In 1878, he purchased the necessary machinery and fitted up a custom flourmill, which he now oper-ates, and is also a member of the firm of Kenney & Minnich, manufacturers of novelties. He resides with his mother at 80 West Jefferson Street. She is now in her 70th year, and has moved but once since she began domestic life in 1840.

KERSHNER, RAMSEY biography for Philip Kershner

Philip KERSHNER was born at Springfield, Ohio, June 28, 1832; where, after completing his education, he learned the carpenter's trade, and became a practical builder; he was also connected with the early development of the manufacture of agricultural implements here, which with various other experiences, has given him a large fund of business knowledge. In 1856, he was chosen Lieutenant of a local militia organization, and remained actively interested in this service until the outbreak of the civil war, when he raised and commanded Co. E, in the 16th O.V. I. (three months), and was one of the active spirits in the re-organization of that corps for the three years' service; he was made Major in August, 1861; Lieutenant Colonel in September, 1862; Acting Colonel in 1864; served as special instructor of military tactics in the Seventh Division, Army of the Ohio; was placed in command of the 3d Brigade, 1st Division, Thirteenth Army Corps, Acting Brigadier General. Col. Kersh-ner was engaged in twelve general battles besides many skirmishes; he was severely wounded in the left arm, at Chickasaw Bluffs, and, at the close of the war, he again entered civil life, having made one of the most brilliant records of any of our local volunteers. He was married to Miss Rebecca A. Ramsey and now resides in Detroit, Mich.

KERSHNER, KNAUB, SCHUSTER, WORBIE biography for John Kershner

John KERSHNER, brick-mason and contractor, Springfield. His residence is No. 266 East street. Since 1860, he has been engaged quite exten-sively in contracting buildings. The firm is Kershner & Trimmer. They have done the mason work - being the contractors - of quite a number of the large brick buildings in Springfield, such as "Mast, Foos & Cos.' West End Shops," the "Commercial Block," Thomas & Son's shops, etc. Mr. K. was born in what is now Springfield Township, this county, Oct. 4, 1829, on the farm which was entered by his grandfather in 1804. He lived at home working on the farm until 19 years old, when he began his present trade, at which he has worked ever since. He was married, March 30, 1853, to Adaline Knaub (sister of George S. Knaub). Six children have blessed their home, viz., Jacob A. (who died in infancy), Amand F., Mary A., Sarah C., George E. and Alice A. Mary was married, Feb. 8, 1876, to C. A. Schuster. Mrs. K. was born in Pennsylva-nia April 2, 1834. John's father, Jacob Kershner, was a native of Hagerstown, Md., and came to Ohio and to this county with his parents in 1825. He was married the same year, Feb.14, to Sarah Worbie. He died in 1806, and she is still living at the advanced age of 74 years. In 1804, Jacob's father came to this, now Clark County, for the purpose of entering land. Mr. Baum, the Government Surveyor, was at the time surveying this part of Ohio, and Mr. Kershner - being a relative of Mr. Baum's-traveled with him some four months. This gave him an excellent opportunity of viewing the land. He therefore entered the farm (now owned by Isaac Jacobs), which lies about two miles south of Springfield, and, in the fall, returned to Maryland, where he remained until 1825, when he with his sons Jacob, Isaac and William, and Jacob's wife, moved here, and erected a house and began clearing the farm. In the spring of 1825, went back to Maryland for the rest of the family. John, the subject of this sketch, was a member of the City Council of Springfield for the years 1876 and 1877. His father was the leader of the Democratic Party in this county for twenty years.

KIDDER, STAUFFER, STEELE biography for Joseph L. Kidder

Joseph L. KIDDER, Springfield. Mr. Kidder is a native of Ohio, born in Madison County in 1827. His youth was principally spent in Akron, where he learned the business of tobacconist, and has since been employed in that trade until within the past three years. He came to Springfield in 1853, and has since resided here, with the exception of about two years' absence in Iowa, He was for a number of years engaged here in the manufacture of cigars, and as wholesale and retail dealer in tobacco; he built the Western engine house, and used it for a tobacco-factory several years. In 1877, being out of business, he leased ground and erected a building with a view of experimenting on the practicability of keeping an eating house, which should furnish meals and lunch at popular rates. A look at his rooms will convince the most skeptical that he has satisfactorily solved the problem and secured a large custom; he is located on Market street, near the market square; there is a double front with separate entrances-one leading to the lunch counter, in the rear of which is the general dining-h all; the other ushers you into the ladies dining-halt which has a ladies' dressing-room and other conveniences, while a large space in the rear of the dining-halls is devoted to the culinary department. Mr. Kidder served the public as member of Council several years; is a member of the I. O. O. F., and a respected citizen; has a family of two children-Mrs. C. P. Stauffer, of Dayton, and William S. Mrs. Kidder, nee Miss Matilda Steele, is a daughter of Marshfield S. Steele, deceased, who was formerly actively and successfully en-gaged in business here, and one of the substantial and respected citizens of Springfield; her mother, now in her 81st year, still resides here.

KILPATRICK, LANA biography for Robert L. Kilpatrick

Robert L. KILPATRICK, retired officer of United States Army, Springfield. Among the many prominent men who adorn history, none are more worthy of mention than those who fought, and suffered for their coun-try's rights. During the late rebellion, when the question was whether this glorious Union should be preserved or destroyed, thousands answered their country's first call, pledging themselves to die, if need be, in maintaining the Union; and among that number was our subject, Col. Robert L. Kilpatrick was born in Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland, April 20, 1825; he joined the British army as volunteer, April 21, 1841, and served in said army until March 3,1851; was in foreign service - all that time, except one year; left the regiment at Bermuda Islands and came to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he learned ornamental painting and imitation of woods and marbles. In 1861, April 21, in the first call for troops, Mr. Kilpatrick raised a company of 101 men, and was assigned as Co. B, 5th O. V. I.; served as Captain in said regiment until April 17,] 863, when he was mustered in as Lieutenant Colonel, and commanded the regiment in several engagements; he lost his right arm in the battle of Chancellorsville, on the 3d day of May, 1863, while in command of the regiment; he received two other wounds in the same battle: joined the regiment again in January, 1864; was mustered out of the regiment Aug. 7, and, in October of the same year, was appointed Captain of a company of cavalry- of the Veteran Reserve Corps and was Assistant Provost Marshal of the Military District of Washington; he was mustered out of the Reserve Corps June 30.1866, and appointed Captain in the regular army July 28, same year; he received brevet rank of Major and Lieutenant Colonel of the regular army, and was retired with full rank of Colonel Dec.15, 187c). He was taken prisoner on the retreat from the battle of Ft. Republic, Va., June 9, 1862, and was held in Salsbury and Libby Prisons about three months. He was married, in October, 1855, to Margaret Lana also a native of Paisley, Scotland. In 1871, they came to Springfield, and have permanently located here; their residence is on the southeast corner of Yellow Springs and Washington streets. Should any one who reads this sketch call on the Colonel, they will find him a very pleasant and affable gentleman.

KIRKPATRICK, REID biography for Thomas J. Kirkpatrick

Thomas J. KIRKPATRICK editor Farm and Fireside, Springfield. Thomas J. Kirkpatrick was born in Dayton. Ohio, on the 23d of September, 1855, being the second of three children, all boys-the oldest dead and the youngest living. When 4 years of age, his father left for the Pacific Coast to engage in mining, being a mining expert; for many years he was believed to be dead; though the first years of absence he contributed to the family support, yet to his mother was due not only the greater part of his sustenance during boyhood, but the guidance and formation of his business habits and moral character; the labor of her hands secured to him the benefits of education. About June 1, 1870, feeling unwilling to longer burden his mother, he entered the United Brethren Publishing House to learn the printing business, being then 15; after remaining a year, his uncle, P. P. Mast offered him a situation in his office, in which he was installed on Jan. 1, 1871; his experience in the printing business secured him the control of P. P. Mast & Co.'s private printing office, which they put in the following spring; in the subsequent fall, Mr. Mast announced, in Mr. Kirkpatrick's presence, his intention to employ a stenographic amanuensis, which position, at Mr. Kirkpatrick's request he held for him, and, acquiring the art in three months, Mr. Kirkpatrick occupied and held the position until the summer of 1874, when, expressing to Mr. Mast his desire to pursue a legal course, his benefactor again came to his aid, defraying his expenses at the Ohio Wesleyan University, at Delaware, Ohio, for two years, at the end of which time Mr. Kirkpatrick discovered that his natural bent was not in the direction of legal attainments, and he returned to Springfield in June, 1876, and occupied the position of Mr. Mast's private secretary. On May 8, 1877, he married Miss S. Corinna Reid, of Jackson, Mich., who is but two months his junior; Mr. and Mrs. Kirkpatrick's parents are living. In August, l877, to Mr. Kirkpatrick was awarded the editorial chair of the Farm and Fireside, a new agricultural and home journal started by P. P. Mast & Co., since which time he has filled with admirable success this position, and in June, 1879, he and his co-laborateur, Mr. J. S. Crowell, the young and enterprising manager, and, to a great extent credit, of the establishment, were constituted equal partners with P. P. Mast in the Farm and Fireside office, and the business of the paper is now assuming stupendous proportions. Mr. Kirkpatrick is one of Springfield's rising young men, and is in the avocation for which nature has best fitted him: he is quiet, genuine, clear-headed and industrious, with an unblemished character and splendid prospects. Mr. Kirkpatrick is a man of earnest convictions and fixed principles, to which he lives fully up and adheres undeviatingly; he is a strong and wholesome moral element in the community, and eminently fitted by nature and culture for his position.

KIZER, PATTISON biography for Thomas Kizer

Thomas KIZER, civil engineer and surveyor. Springfield, Ohio; was born Dec.18, 1812, about one hundred and fifty yards in a southeasterly direction from the northwest corner of fractional Sec. 7, Town 4, Range 10. M. R. S., and about three and three-fourths miles northwest of the city of Springfield. This event transpired within the walls of a log cabin, which was the home of David Kizer, the father of the subject of this sketch, and first Recorder of Clark County. Thomas was the fourth child, and received only such advantages as the rude facilities of that day afforded; he acquired a knowledge of the rudiments of a simple English education by study at home, "before the fire-place," with a short course in the high school, or academy, of which Isaac H. Lancy was Prin-cipal. He then learned the trade of a millwright, during the practice of which he decided to become a surveyor, and, in 1836, made his debut as such by running out 50 acres of land for John and Emanuel Tirkle; he afterward became connected with the surveys of the United States public lands at various places; In 1841, Col. Kizer was chosen County Surveyor, to which office he was many times re-elected, and served twenty-six years in all. Having been bred to the profession, and on constant duty in connection with it, he has acquired a knowl-edge of all the obscure corners, "original errors," and other peculiarities of the first surveys, and is a "mine of facts" pertaining to the later subdivisions of the lands of this county; he was one of the Party who surveyed the first railroad in this county, and has had more to do with the turnpike and other road surveys than all other surveyors together. During the old militia period, he was chosen to fill various offices, and attained the rank of Lieutenant Colonel; his long and constant intercourse with the people has given him a large fund of anecdotes and occurrences, which fund is disbursed freely when the time is opportune. In 1844, he was married to Miss Mary A. Pattison, of German Township (who was also a native of this county), which union has resulted in a family of eight children, four of whom are living.

JACOBS, KERSHNER, KNAUB, VARVEL biography for George S. Knaub

George S. KNAUB farmer: P.O. Springfield. Mr. Knaub lives about rniles southeast of Springfield, on the old Clifton road. He was born in York, Penn., Sept. 26, 1827: he is the son of George and Mary A. (Jacobs). When George S. was 7 years old, he came to Ohio with his parents; 5 followed farming all his life, excepting four years that he was engaged manufacture of plows. He was married, Dec. 26, 1852, to Rebecca, daughter of Jacob and Sarah (Varvel) Kershner: they have had thirteen children - Jacob E.. Laura B., Sarah C., Mary F., George H., Philip, John F., Annie, James W., Gertrude R., Bennie, Wilbur and Francis M. - all of whom are living except Sarah, who died at the age of 17. Mr. Knaub has been one of the Directors of his school for eleven successive years; he is a member of the Lutheran Church, and conforms to the teachings of that church. His father was a native of Pennsylvania, and his mother of Maryland; they came to Ohio in 1837 and settled on the farm where George S. now lives. Mrs. Knaub's parents both natives of Maryland, and came to Ohio and settled in this county in 1826.

KNOTE, MCBRIDE biography for J. M. Knote

J. M. KNOTE. Merchant, Springfield; dealer in ready-made clothing and furnishing goods, No. S East Main street. He was born in Franklin Co., Ind., Aug. 22, 1846; is the son of Samuel and Margaret Knote; he remained in Franklin County until the fall of 1852, when he came to Clark Co., Ohio, with his mother, his father having died Jan.23 of that year; after remaining in Clark County one year, he removed to Preble Co., Ohio, where he remained three years, working on a farm; he then returned to Clark County and contin-ued farm labor until the spring of 1860, when his mother moved to Springfield; he continued to labor on a farm during the summer season, and attended school in the winter, acquiring the rudiments of an education. In 1862, he began work in the shops of Springfield, and in 1864 accepted a clerkship in the clothing house of B. &. W. Frankle, with whom he remained eight years; afterward, he served with Straus & Bro., and at the end of one year this firm gave him an interest in the store; he continued in this partnership until 1878, when he opened business on his own account, and has so continued. His integrity and business tact have won for him an enviable reputation wherever he is known; his boyhood had been an index of his character in after years, for dili-gence and frugality had characterized his early life, helping to support his widowed -mother from his meager earnings. He is a Past Grand and one of the Trustees of Ephraim Lodge, No.146; a Patriarch of Mad River Encampment, No. 16. I. O. O. F.: he is also a Past Scribe of Lagonda Tribe, No.61, I. O. R. M. In 1877, he was elected a member of the City Council from Second Ward; this position he filled with great acceptability, and he was accordingly re-elected 1879. He was Secretary of the English Lutheran Sunday School of this city for eighteen months, and has been Librarian of said Sunday school for the past four years. He married, in June, 1879, Miss Lillie V. McBride, daughter of Jacob C. and Matilda McBride: they have one child, Mrs. J. M. Knote was born in Logan Co., Ohio.

DUHME, HACKMAN, KOBELANZ, RIESAU biography for Frederick Kobelanz

Frederick KOBELANZ deceased. The gentleman whose name heads sketch was born in Enckedorf, North Prussia, Oct.18, 1798, of Polish origin; -was educated in his native place, and there married to Mary M. Hackman, to whom was born Anna Mary, now the wife of Herman L. Riesau, of Spring-field township. His wife died in the spring of 1834, and in the fall of the year he married Margaretta M. Duhme, and soon after his wedding they embarked for America. Frederick and family lived one winter in Buffalo, and, in May, 1835, came to Springfield, Ohio, where he engaged in the stone and lime business, remaining two years; then moved to St Louis, Mo., where they lived one winter, and returned to Springfield. He began dealing in stone and lime, in which he was very successful, and which he followed some six years, In 1846, he purchased a farm of 96 acres, north of the city of Springfield, upon which he settled and continued to follow farming the balance of his life. His second wife, Margaretta M. (Duhme) Kobelanz, was born Jan. 2, 1800, and had born to her seven children, four sons growing to manhood, viz., Frederick W., Christian F., John H. and Herman L.-the second of whom since died at the old homestead. To his first purchase of 96 acres, Mr. Kobelanz added, year by year, until he was the owner of nearly 500 acres of the finest land of the county. Politically, he was a Democrat, yet he was a man conservative in most things, and his life was marked by fairness and upright dealing with all men. In early life, he belonged to the Lutheran Church, and, for about thirty years pre-vious to his death, was a member of Clark Lodge, No.104, A., F. & A. M. He began business in Springfield on a capital of $2.12 1/2, but, through industry and strict economy, he attained financial success; lie was a man of vigorous, determined character, prompt, shrewd and observing throughout his business career, and left to his family at his death - which occurred Nov. 24, 1880, his wife having died ten years previously - a handsome estate, as well as a name and character above reproach.

GRAM, KOBELANZ biography for Herman L. Kobelanz

Herman L. KOBELANZ, farmer; P.O. Springfield; is the son of Frederick and Margaretta M. Kobelanz, and was born on the old homestead, near Springfield, March 4, 1844; grew up on the farm where he now lives and received a common-school education. He was married, July 29,1874, to Anna M. Gram, daughter of Cornelius and Martha Gram, of which union three children have been born, viz., Clara Belle, Edwin and Blanche. Mr. Kobelanz is engaged largely in farming and raising stock, and is one of the stirring, intelligent and enterprising young men of the county; he is an unas-suming, retiring man, yet fully alive to the spirit of the nineteenth century, and keeps well apace with the events of the day.

KOBELANZ, KUNKLE, SNYDER biography for John H. Kobelanz

John H. KOBELANZ, farmer; P.O. Springfield. He was born in Springfield, Clark Co., Ohio, March 15, 1839; he has always lived at home, and now occupies the old homestead, which is located in the northwestern part of Springfield Township; he is a son of Frederick arid Margaretta M. Kobelanz. He was married Dec.21, 1871, to Annie M. Snyder, daughter of Abraham and Mary (Kunkle) Snyder: their children are Elva May, Charles E. (deceased at the age of 2 years), John H., Daisy A. and Anna M. Mrs. Kobelanz was born in Pennsylvania July 11, 1841; she came to Clark Co., Ohio, in 1861, on a visit, and was so well pleased with the country and people that she concluded to make this county her future home.

FEIGLEY, JAYNE, LAFFERTY biography for William L. Lafferty

William L. LAFFERTY, grocer, Springfield, Ohio. Among the repre-sentative businessmen of Springfield, none are more worthy of mention than Mr. Lafferty, of the firm of Burns & Lafferty. He was born in this county Aug. 13, 1844; is a son of Samuel J. and Catherine (Carson) Lafferty, Samuel a native of Pennsylvania, and Catherine a native of Ohio. In 1850, they moved to Iowa, and in less than one-year death called them to the spirit land, within three weeks of each other. William, being left an orphan by the death of both father and mother, his grandfather, William Lafferty, then a resident of Clark Co., Ohio, brought our subject and his brother Samuel back to this county. When William was 13 years old, he emigrated with his grandfather to Illinois; shortly after their arrival in Illinois, the grandfather died, when William re-turned to Springfield, Ohio, within six months from the time he had left. He was engaged on a farm until 1863, when he enlisted in the 86th O. V. I. and served a three-months' term of service, and in 1864 went out with the 146th O. N. G.; after his return from the army, he clerked in a clothing store ten years, and in a hat, cap and shoe store two years; was a partner in the shoe store part years. He entered into partnership with his present partner, Mr. Burns, in November, 1875, and started their grocery on High street, where they keep a full line of first-class family groceries; they are not only gentlemen of integrity, but polite and pleasant to all their customers; a leading virtue of this firm is honorable and upright dealing. Mr. Lafferty was married, Oct. 3, 1871, to Miss Katie Jayne, daughter of Gabriel and Sarah (Feigley) Jayne; they have two promising boys-Frank J. and George M. Mrs. Lafferty was born in this county Dec. 21, 1851. Mr. Lafferty has risen to his present financial position of a poor boy, saving his money from year to year when a boy, instead of spending it foolishly. He is a P. C. and Master of Exchequer of Moncrieffe Lodge, No. 33, K. of P.; he was District Deputy G. C. two terms of said organization; he is also a member of Division No.6 of the Uniform Rank of K. P. During the time Mr. Lafferty was clerking, he took a commercial course by reciting at nights.

DUNLAP, LASLEY, MCCUMBER, STEPHENSON, WILSON biography for Steward A. Lasley

Stewart A. LASLEY, iron manufacturer, Springfield. Among those adopted the "Champion City" as their home, and contributed to its wealth and social attractions, is the family of S. A. Lasley. He is a native of this State; was born in Gallia County in 1803; his youth and early manhood were spent on a farm. In 1825, he married Cynthia McCumber, of Cheshire, County. He continued farming until about 1835, when he began merchandising; he started in a modest way, in Vinton, in his native county, and in business there about eighteen years; his business was prosperous, and he had in the meantime purchased an interest in the Buckeye and Iron Valley furnaces, and has since, with the exception of a single short interval, owned an interest in some one or more of the iron furnaces of that section. In 1856, he removed to Portsmouth, where he acted as agent several years for the productions of the Buckeye furnace. In 1861, he removed to Gallipolis, where he resided during the war, being associated with Col. Moulton in furnishing supplies for the army. After the close of the war, he spent about two years at the Buckeye furnace, then came to Springfield, and, having purchased his handsome -residence property southwest corner of High and East streets, which he christened "Lincoln Heights," adopted this city as his home. This property is in the form of an oblong square, fronting on High street and contains about 2 acres; is handsomely improved, and presents a very attractive appear-ance. Mr. Lasley's first wife died in 1846, having borne him five children, two of whom died in infancy; a son, Hiram G., resides at Welliston, Jackson County, and is also connected with the furnaces of that section; one daughter is of the wife of Amos Wilson, M. D., a resident of Iowa; another daughter is the wife of David Stephenson, of Clifton, W. Va., who is also connected with the mining interests. Mr. Lasley's present wife, nee Miss Rachel E. Dunlap, of Antram, N. H., was a teacher in younger days, and is a lady of intelligence and social culturre; their marriage was celebrated June 8, 1848; they have two chil-dren, a grown-up son and daughter-John F. and Mary E., both of whom are and are accomplished members of Springfield society. Mr. Lasley now owns an interest in the Milton furnace, and is also a stockholder in the First Bank of Chattanooga, Tenn., of which his nephew, W. P. Rathburn, is President. Although advanced in years and retired from active business, Mr. Lasley takes a deep interest in public affairs. His first vote for President was 1824, and he has not failed to vote at each succeeding Presidential con-test he was a Whig in early days, and has been an ardent supporter of the Republican Party since its organization. In 1861, although nearly 60 years of age, he volunteered as a member of a company of about sixty who were organized by and under the command of Lewis Newsom, a General of militia; this company was for the protection of the vast Government stores then at Gallip-olis, and were afterward handsomely complimented for their "valuable services," by the Governor, and were again called into service as "squirrel-hunters" during Morgan's memorable raid.

LAYBOURN, MCCOLLUM, WHITE biography for Henry O. Laybourn

Henry O. LAYBOURN, Postmaster and grocer, Lagonda. Mr. Laybourn was born in this county March 3,1844, and lived here until 1856, when he moved with his parents to Champaign, where he remained till 1873, when they returned to this county and located in Lagonda; he was married, Oct. 2,1873 to Sarah L. White, daughter of James H. and Harriet White, who were early settlers of Champaign Co., Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Laybourn have two children, Alberta and Charles W. Mr. Laybourn is an active member and a Past Grand of Ephraim Lodge, No. 146; also a Patriarch of Mad River Encampment, No.16, I. O. O. F., and a member of the Uniformed Patriarchs of said Encampment; he is also a leading member of the United Brethren Church of Lagonda, and is one of the Stewards of said church. In 1863, during the late rebellion, he enlisted in the 66th O. V. I. and served to the close of the war, when he was honorably discharged; he was wounded at the battle of Peach Tree Creek, Ga., July 20, 1864. After his location in Lagonda, he worked two years in the shops and then started the grocery under the firm name of John C. Laybourn & Sons. His wife was born in Champaign Co., Ohio, June 29,1852. John C. Laybourn, Henry's father, was born in this county in 1818. John C.'s wife, Alvira McCollum, was born in Kentucky and came to Clark County in 1820. John C. and Alvira have had but two children, Henry C. and John M. In 1878, Henry was appointed Postmaster at Lagonda, being the first Postmas-ter of that place; he is an honorable, upright gentleman, of good moral and religious habits. They keep a full line of staple groceries, and are gentlemanly and polite to all.

LATTA, LAYTON, SWINHART biography for John E. Layton

John E. LAYTON, * City Wood Measurer and Infirmary Director, Springfield. Mr. Layton is one of Clark County's oldest and most worthy landmarks, having been for many years identified with the interests; born 10th of August, 1822, seven miles west of Springfield, in Bethel Township; at 18 he commenced farming on his own account, having lost his father at the age of 8 years; he abandoned farming for the Shrievalty of Clark County, which was tendered him by his friends in 1856, which office he held until Jan. 1, 1861; he then, with two associates, established a nursery business, under the name of Miller, Swan & Layton, in which he continued until 1864, serving in the meantime 100 days in the Union army, in Company E, of the 153d O.V. I.; from 1864 to 1868 he farmed again, when he sold his farm and came to Springfield, where he has for twelve years held the offices of City Wood Measurer, County Infirmary Di-rector, and for awhile Township Trustee. Mr. Layton married Miss Mary Ann Swinhart, of this city, in 1844; they had a son and daughter. The son is a widower with one child, and the daughter, Mrs. Latta, has one child and lives in Noble Co., Ind. Mr. Layton is a member in good standing of Reed Commandery of Knights Templar, of Dayton, Clark Lodge A. F. & M., No.101, of Springfield, and Springfield "Chapter" and "Council." Mr. Layton has vivid recollections of Jo Smith and his band of Mormons, when they came through this section of the country in 1835, and camped for several days near his home. Being a boy of 13, he was in their camp every day, and says his impressions of them were most favorable. Their thrift, cleanliness and unity was, he says, especially noticeable. Mr. Layton is getting to look venerable, his long iron gray beard and benign features, and no one can be found who will say anything against John Layton. He comes down from honest times and has not forgotten his early principles.

*Since writing this biography Mr. Layton has died.

BOOKWALTER, CROFT, LEFFEL biography for James Leffel

James LEFFEL, deceased, Springfield. The career of James Leffel cuts an important figure in Springfield history, and although he passed from earthly scenes fourteen rears ago, he is as fresh in the recollection of many as if he had but died a month ago. He was one of those positive natures that makes itself felt in whatever sphere it may happen to exist. He was born in Botetourt Co., Va., April 19, 1806, hence was, at death, June 11, 1866, just turned three score; came with his parents to Ohio when 9 months old; fought his own way in life. On July 4, 1830, he celebrated this National holiday by his marriage with Miss Mary A. Croft, born Nov 7, 1813, and a native of Ohio. Of six sons and three daughters, only two survive; Warren Leffel (born March 25, 1851), partner in the "Leffel water wheel" interest, and Ed C. Leffel (July 4, 1857). Their daughter Eliza (deceased) married Mr. John W. Bookwalter, who is now the head of the extensive water wheel interest; Frederick Leffel was a member of the organization known as the "Squirrel Hunters" during the war, and died July 30, 1865; their oldest son was lost at sea. Mr. James Leffel was a natural mechanic and an inventive genius, and to him is due the credit of erect-ing the first foundry in the vicinity of Springfield, which was situated near Buck Creek bridge, two miles west, and completed on Jan. 1, 1840. So great was the increase of his business be found it necessary to build another, which he located north of Springfield, and completed in the spring of 1846. The same year, in company with one Richards, he built the Leffel & Richards extension cotton mill on Barnett's water power; 1852 found him extensively in-terested in several manufacturing and mechanical enterprises, among which was the manufacture of stoves on his own patent-" The Buckeye" and the "Double Oven stoves both of which were very popular in their "day and generation." The foundry, which was a separate interest, was carried on under the name of Leffel, Cook & Blakeney; the stove interest was Leffel & Harrison. He had already, at this early date, gone into the manufacture of horse-power threshing a patent lever jack and a patent water wheel, which was the early ancestor of the present celebrated turbine water wheel, which was perfected year 1862, and was subsequently put into a stock company of which James Leffel, James S. Goode, John Foos and John W. Bookwalter (his son--in-law), were the proprietors. Several minor changes occurred before his death which left his family abundantly provided for. His widow, Mrs. Mary Leffel, retained, within a year or two, her interest in the manufacturing concern, but this important industry as now constituted, is conducted under the name of James Leffel & Co., and consists of John W. Bookwalter, Warren Leffel, Frank Bookwalter, and others, a fuller description of which will be found in the industrial department of the history proper. Mr. Leffel was a man of unflagging, undeviating integrity, and a valuable element in any community. Mrs. Leffel unpretentious motherly woman, charitable and generous, and is only in terms of kindness and esteem. Such people as this worthy couple have made Springfield what it is.

HATCHER, LEFFEL, MEADE biography for Joseph Leffel

Joseph LEFFEL, fruit and vegetable dealer, Springfield. There are few persons in Clark County who have not heard of Col. Joe Leffel, he being the smallest business man in Ohio, and, in fact, we might say, the United States his size has not been a bar to his success in life, as he has always been recognized as successful in everything he has undertaken. He was born in this county Sept. 21, 1833, and is the son of James P. and Elizabeth Leffel, an infant he was attacked by a disease, which impeded his growth, and now in his 48th year he is but three feet ten inches in height. He was married March 16, 1876, to Sarah B. Meade, daughter of Alfred and Mary (Hatcher) Meade, who was born in this county Feb. 14, 1857, of which union en have been the issue, viz., Joseph F. and Gilbert W. In 1865, Mr. Leffel opened a photograph gallery, in which he engaged one year, then went into the grocery business, at which he remained about the same time; was also in the bee culture for many years, and is at present engaged in the fruit and vegetable trade on West High street. His parents were large robust people, his father being over six feet in height, and the family are among the prominent pioneer farmers of Clark County.

HORR, LEFFEL, MORGAN biography for Ed C. Leffel

Ed C. LEFFEL, manufacturer, Springfield. This young enterprising manufacturer is the son of James (the inventor of the water wheel) and Mary Leffel. He was born in the city of Springfield, Ohio, July 4, 1857; he received his primary education in the public school of this city, then attended school in New Haven, Conn.; was also a student in the Highland Military Academy Worcester, Mass. He was married, Nov. 7, 1b'77, to Miss Lillian G. daughter of Calvin and Elizabeth (Morgan) Horr, who were one of the first families of Springfield. One bright, promising boy, James Calvin, has blessed the home of Ed C. and Lillian. In July, 1880, Mr. Leffel began the manufacture of the Croft Wind Engine, an invention which has been received by the public with great favor, and under Mr. Leffel's management bids fair to be a profitable invention to the manufacturer, as well as a blessing to the public, by supplying a long felt want. Mr. Leffel, although a young man yet, has seen much of the world, having visited all the principle cities of the East. His handsome brick residence is located on South Limestone Street.


Return to Clark Co. Ohio Genealogy page

View ...



For questions about this page contact Sara J. Greer at sjgreer30@hughes.net.

Query, Surname, and Researcher pages managed by CCHelper, an application written by Patty Lindsay.