|William Mintun continues|
William H. Minton, office manager of the American Rolling Mill, Middletown, has been a resident of this city for twenty-three years, except for three years spent in Springfield, Ill., and during this time has risen to a position of great trust and responsibility in business circles and to high estate in citizenship. He was born at West Milton, Ohio, December 23, 1869, a son of Dr. William H. H. and Elizabeth (Shellenbarger) Minton. His forefathers, natives of New Jersey, left that state, several of whom located in Kentucky. One of these brothers became a farmer in the vicinity of Hopkinsville, Ky., and at one time owned the farm adjoining that which was owned by the family that gave to this country the Great Emancipator. His great-grandfather, however, selected the Miami valley of Ohio as the scene for his activities. His father was born and reared in Dayton and engaged in the practice of medicine at West Milton and other points, and became one of the leading physicians of his day and locality, with a record of three and one-half years of valiant service during the Civil war as assistant surgeon attached to a regiment of Ohio volunteers in the Union Army. For years he practised at Bradford, Ohio, where his death occurred in May, 1910. He was sincerely mourned as physician, man and citizen. Doctor Minton was twice married and had three children by his first union: William H., Ellis, and Kitty, the two latter deceased. The mother, Elizabeth Shellenbarger Minton, was the daughter of Peter and Ann Ullery Shellenbarger whose ancestors were among the first settlers of the Miami valley, and who were prominent in the upbuilding of both state and nation. William H. Minton was but one and a half years old when his mother died and he was reared by a stepmother. To the second union was born William Arthur, Paul and Ruth. Mr. Minton received good educational advantages, and immediately after his graduation from the Bradford High school went to Omaha, Nebr., where he became bookkeeper for an implement house. In January, 1896, he returned to Ohio, having been transferred by his firm to the McSherry Manufacturing company at Middletown, and remained with that concern in Middletown and Springfield, Ill., until entering the service of the American Rolling Mill, in 1912, as office manager. He is a man of marked capacity, fully qualified by nature and training to discharge the responsible duties of his office. Mr. Minton was married August 28, 1894, to Evangeline Shiller, of Omaha, Nebr. To this union there have been born two children: Adelaide and Sarah Elizabeth. The former is taking a nurse's training course at the Jewish hospital, Cincinnati. The latter was married on November 19, 1919, to John Brown McKee of Cincinnati. The mother of
George Edward Mitchell. Prominent among the men whose lifetime energies have been centered in the work of producing food products as tillers of the soil, is found George Edward Mitchell, for many years a resident of Oxford township, where he is respected and esteemed both as farmer and citizen. Mr. Mitchell was born in this township, July 5, 1858, a son of William and Mary (Booth) Mitchell, natives of Yorkshire, England, each of whom came when young to the United States. The Mitchells settled one-half mile below the present farm of their son, C. H. Mitchell, which was the original settlement place of the Booth family. William Booth, an uncle on the maternal side of George Edward Mitchell, and Daniel Mitchell, an uncle on the paternal side, fought as soldiers of the Union during the Civil war. To William and Mary (Booth) Mitchell there were born the following children: Mary Jane, who became the wife of William Ayres; Sarah, who became the wife of A. Booth; C. H., George E., John W., deceased; Sophia B., Fred W. and Fannie P. The township schools of Butler county furnished George Edward Mitchell with his educational training, and during the vacation periods he assisted his father in the work of the home farm, and not long after he entered upon his independent career he was married to Erminie, daughter of Alfred and Irene (Roseboom) Carle, of Springdale, Hamilton county, Ohio. Mrs. Mitchell has one sister, Mrs. William House of Butler county. To Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell there were born: John W., who while attending Miami university was in the student officers' training camp; Grace B., a graduate of Oxford Normal school, now the wife of Fred Pfister of Oxford township; Mary E., the wife of A. A. Murdock; George E. and Erminie. As a farmer Mr. Mitchell has always been a raiser of large crops and a feeder of stock. He is considered one of the skilled farmers of his district, and is known as a good neighbor and a public-spirited citizen. His farm, consisting of l00 acres of
Louis Mock, the beginning of whose agricultural experience in Butler county was coincident with the early history of the county's real growth, and who was for an extended lifetime one of the prosperous and prominent agriculturists of Madison township, passed the entire period of his active career in close communion with the soil. A man of real worth and ability, of high character and marked public spirit, he was widely and well known, and when he died, September, 1909, there were many to mourn his loss. Mr. Mock was born in Germany, January 12, 1844, a son of Godfried and Hannah (Flindchpach) Mock, natives of that country. The family emigrated to the United States in search of greater opportunities than they could enjoy in their own land, in 1853, and found conditions to their liking in the vicinity of Germantown, O., where for some years they lived on a farm. Later in life the father removed with his family to Madison township, Butler county, where he continued to be successfully engaged in agricultural operations during the remainder of a long, active and useful life. He and his worthy wife were members of the United Brethren church and the parents of five children, namely: Louis; Christopher; Mollie, who married Henry Selby; Elizabeth, deceased; and Caroline, who married Daniel Sinkey, of Madison township. The boyhood of Louis Mock was divided between attending school and working on the home farm, and he was reared in a family in which due attention was given to proper training along the lines of industry and the value of money. He resided at home until the time of his marriage, in January, 1868, to Miss Maggie Kohnle, who was born in Germany, a daughter of Gottlieb and Christina (Kramer) Kohnle, who came to the United States in 1854, and settled at Germantown, where they made their home for five years. The father of Mrs. Mock was a baker and miller by vocations, and in later life went to Dayton, where he owned and operated a mill for five years, and where his death occurred at the age of sixty years. He was one of the industrious and honorable men of his locality and had numerous friends and well-wishers among his fellow-citizens, whose confidence he never betrayed in business affairs. His widow survived him for a long period, and was eighty years of age at the time she died at the home of her datlghter, Mrs. Mock, in Madison township. There were seven children in the Kohnle family: Gottlieb, a retired miller of St. Marys, Ohio; John, a baker at Los Angeles, Cal.; Lawrence, deceased, who was a miller; Maggie, now Mrs. Mock; George, a baker by trade, for thirty years a member of the Regular army, with which he died while serving in the Philippine Islands; Fred, an Inspector at Dayton, O.; and Henry, a moulder of that city. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Mock: Hannah, who married Alvin Leiwig and has ten children, - Emma, Florence, Windsor, Helen, Bessie, Elva, Rowina, Ethel, LeRue and
Orley H. Moles, who is connected with the American Rolling Mill company at Middletown, shares with the late R. B. Carnahan the distinction of having developed the idea and process of ingot iron, which has been one of the main factors in the success of the company which he represents. Mr. Moles was born at Laurel, Ind., September 3, 1870, a son of Marion J. and Martha (Rollins) Moles, the former a native of Indiana and the latter of North Carolina, who were married in the former state in 1866. Marion J. Moles, who was originally a farmer by vocation, moved from Indiana to Decatur, Ala., in 1879, and one year later the mother died, leaving to Orley H., the eldest, the responsibility for the rearing of his younger brothers and sister, namely: William Allen; Ida Alice, who is now Mrs. Albert Castell, of Alabama; Rev. Georg.e Franklin and Rev. Thomas Marion, ministers of the Methodist and Baptist churches respectively; and Elmer, who is now deceased. The father of these children died in 1899. Orley H. Moles completed his education in the public schools of Alabama. He received his introduction to the steel business at Muncie, Ind., from there he removed to Alabama, and then as a young man returned to Indiana, where, October 21, 1903, he married Mada Arizona Hasting, who was born at Fairmont, Ind., April 28, 1874, a daughter of Carter and Elizabeth (Rowe) Hasting, and a granddaughter on the maternal side of John and Mary Ann (Thomas) Smith. Mrs. Moles' father died in January, 1908, and her mother, November 2, 1919. In 1900 Mr. Moles came to Middletown to assist in starting the American Rolling Mill company's plant, with which he has been connected ever since, at this time being employed in the capacity of a melter. He assisted in the tapping of the first iron at this plant, and has subsequently been tireless in his efforts in the development of the
Frank Moon, one of the progressive business men and public-spirited citizens of Middletown, was born at Midland City, Clinton county, Ohio, September 24, 1872, a son of James C. and Eliza (Carey) Moon, and was still a youth when he moved to Middletown with his parents. When he had completed his public school education, he secured employment with the Sorg Tobacco company, and later applied himself to learning the trade of barber, a vocation to which he applied himself for about fifteen years. In the meantime he had dealt to some extent in real estate, and is now the possessor of two of the most valuable business houses on Main street. He has an excellent reputation in business circles and as a citizen has always been found supporting measures that have benefited Middletown and its people. In political affairs he is a Republican, although inclined to be liberal, and his fraternal affiliations are with the Junior Order of United American Mechanics and the Fraternal Order of Eagles, in both of which orders he has numerous friends. With his family, he belongs to the Methodist church. Mr. Moon was married October 6, 1892, to Henrietta Irene, daughter of Ira P. and Elizabeth M. (Bolmer) Dakin, who still make their home with their daughter and son-in-law on Young street. The father, who was born at Harveysburg, Ohio, October 11, 1853, is an inventive genius and was granted a patent by the United States Government on a device for the protection of fruit trees. Mrs. Dakin was born August 2, 1851, at Franklin, Ohio. They have been the parents of seven children: Retta Irene, now Mrs. Moon; Sylvester, who is deceased; Chandler LeRoy; Leonard Clement; Josie D. ; Addie Maria; and Raymond Harrison, deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Moon there have been born ten children: Bertha, the wife of Ever Eberhardt, with two children, - Mildred Louise and Fayette; Mamie, the widow of Braxton Te\vart; Etta Marie, deceased; Earl; Irwin; Raymond Harrison; Retta Irene; Edwin Arthur; Frances Elizabeth; and Addie.
William H. Moon. Few families of Clinton county, Ohio, are as prominent as that which bears the name of Moon, not only
Hugh Miller Moore, M. D. Of the men devoted to the science of healing in Butler county, none brings to bear upon his calling larger gifts of scholarship than Dr. Hugh Miller Moore, of Oxford. For the past decade and a half his name has been increasingly identified with the best tenets of medical and surgical science, and by many of the longest established and most conservative families his skill, resource and obliging temperament have come to be regarded as indispensable. Doctor Moore was born at Venice, Ohio, April 20, 1876, a son of Rev. D. R. Moore, D. D., and a grandson of Rev. William H. Moore, for many years a leading Presbyterian divine. Rev. D. R. Moore was born at Rising Sun, Ohio, and attended Miami university, where, he met as a fellow-student, Elvira Gilchrist, who later became his first wife, and Hugh Miller Moore was the only child of this union. She was a daughter of Dr. Hugh Gilchrist, a noted practitioner of medicine of his day. After graduating from Miami university, Reverend Moore attended Lane seminary, where he received the degree of Doctor of Divinity and entered the ministry of the Presbyterian church, subsequently holding pastorates at Brookville, Logan, South Salem and Bond Hill, Ohio. When he retired from the ministry he adopted agricultural pursuits as his vocation, and at present is residing on a farm near Billingsville, Ohio. His first wife died at Brookville, in 1881, and he later married Clara King, they becoming the parents of five children: Dr. Paul, a successful practising physician of Cleveland, Ohio; Stanley, a farmer, who carries on operations for his father; Ross, who is also engaged in farming, near Liberty, Ind.; Hazelett, a physician, engaged in practice in association with his brother Hugh M.; and Robert, aged seventeen years, who is a helmsman in the United States Naval Reserves. After attending the public schools Doctor Moore entered Miami university, where he secured
L. L. Morehouse, son of Alfred and Hannah (Gillespie) Morehouse, was born in Morgan township, November 9, 1865. His mother was a daughter of Alexander and Mary (Pierson) Gillespie. The parents of L. L. Morehouse lived in Morgan township their entire lives. To them were born the following children: L. L ; Hattie, deceased, who married Dr. E. A. Sturm, now of Lockland. L. L. Morehouse was educated at the Millville school of Ross township. At Millville, after he had finished school, he occupied himself as dealer in horses and his business career thereafter was active and varied, and for a time dealt in fine buggies and harness, and later he was salesman of acetylene gas plants made by the Davis company of Elkhart, Ind. He now lives on the old Andres Jones farm in Morgan township, where he is engaged in extensive farming. In addition to these interests, he deals in a fertilizer prepared by the Globe company of Louisville, Ky. In 1909, he married Vida Williamson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jasper Williamson, of New Haven, Harrison county, Ohio. To L. L. Morehouse and his wife have been born these children: Maud M., Martha M., Lee, and Alfred J. Morehouse. In addition to the farm of 185 acres in Morgan township, he owns 400 acres in Arizona, acquired while he was traveling through the southwest some years ago. Ross township honored him by selecting him as its assessor. He is Democrat in politics, and a member of the Knights of Pythias lodge. Like
L. E. Moreland. Located not far from College Corner, Ohio, are the famous Tallewanda springs, from which comes the fundamental product which, with other ingredients, is used in the manufacture of Tallewanda ginger ale, a carbonated, non-alcoholic beverage that has found much favor with the public. The success of this product may be largely accredited to L. E. Moreland, whose splendid business abilities have been centered in manufacturing and marketing the beverage, and who has always been one of the best of boosters for Colleg'e Corner and its institutions. Mr. Moreland was born at Covington, Ky., where he received his education in the public schools and where for four years he was employed by the United States Government in the capacity of gauger. In 1894 he formed a connection with the Joseph R. Peebles' Sons company of Cincinnati, and became manager for them of Tallewanda springs, and since that time has had entire charge of the bottling and marketing of the beverage mentioned. He is a business man of excellent ability and of the highest standing in commercial circles, and has labored assiduously for the welfare of the community, having been particularly active in his support of all enterprises tending to advance the interests of College Corner. As a voter, he prefers to use his own judgment in his choice of candidates, and therefore has not allied himself with any party, nor has he drawn factional lines. He is active in lodge work, belonging to the Masons at Liberty, Ind., and the Knights of Pythias, I. O. O. F. and Modern Woodmen at College Corner, and is very popular in his home community, in addition to having numerous friends elsewhere. Mr. Moreland married Miss Grace Scott of Louisville, Ky., and they have three daughters.
Ben Morgan. Self-acquired wealth, liberal ideas, ambitions expressed in the promotion of agriculture, education, religion and simplicity of living, as well as unquestioned public and private integrity, constitute the fundamentals upon which rest the enviable standing and reputation of Ben Morgan, one of the substantial agriculturists of Lemon township, Butler county. It has been Mr. Morgan's destiny to have been connected with Butler county all of his life and to have worthily perpetuated the name of his late honored soldier father. Ben Morgan was born at Lebanon, Warren county, O., in 1867, a son of Col. Ben Morgan. His father, as one of the substantial and influential men of this part of the Miami valley was widely known because of his firm stand upon principles which he believed were right. The Civil war came on to give him an opportunity of demonstrating his real worth, and when strong men were needed to support the cause of the Union, he offered his body and his services to the Government. His offer was accepted, and October 7, 1861, he was appointed recruiting officer for the 75th Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered into the service for three years. When the regiment reached its full quota he was appointed and commissioned captain of Company F, and
James Wesley Morris, a native of Butler county, Ohio, and one of its substantial farmers, was born in Fairfield township, April 6, 1862, son of L. D. and Sarah C. (Bobmeyer) Morris, the former of whom was born in Delaware and the latter in Butler county.
Frank B. Morton, one of the prominent and influential citizens and substantial agriculturists and stock raisers of Oxford township, has been engaged in farming all of his life in Butler county. He is not unknown to public life, as on several occasions he has filled township offices very acceptably. Mr. Morton was born near
Robert Mosbaugh, D. D. S. The professional career of Dr. Robert Mosbaugh has left a definite impression upon the dental history of College Corner. This thriving community, to which he came in 1914, offered a promising field for the young practitioner, and the citizens who have watched his advancement have never regretted the confidence which they placed in his skill, knowledge and enthusiasm. He has accepted the opportunities of the town of his adoption, has fashioned his resources to its needs, and has reflected sincerity, capability and genuine worth upon a profession for which he is undeniably and admirably equipped, being the first to install X-ray equipment and apply it to the dental profession in this vicinity. Doctor Mosbaugh was born at Cambridge City, Ind., a son of Frank and Alice (Lackey) Mosbaugh, who still reside at that place. Frank Mosbaugh, a Civil war Veteran, is one of the prominent and influential citizens of Cambridge City, where he is owner and publisher of the Cambridge City Tribune. The other child in the family is John Mosbaugh, who is an accountant by vocation. Robert Mosbaugh attended the graded and high schools of Cambridge City, Ind., and as a young man studied dentistry in the Cincinnati Dental college. Subsequently he entered the Ohio
Mosler Safe Company. In the mind of everyone at all familiar with manufacturing affairs, the name Mosler at once suggests the proud position which the city of Hamilton has attained among the centers of safe manufacturing in the United States, owing to the intimate connection of Moses, Julius and William Mosler, alike with the inception and the development of this important department of manufactures and commerce in Ohio. The Mosler Safe company was organized by these gentlemen at Cincinnati, Ohio, under the name of the Mosler Safe and Lock company, the first factory being on Pearl street. Later the business outgrew the original plant and the company moved to another location in the same city, this being followed by removal to a still larger place of business on Elm street. Subsequent growth and expansion warranted the building of a new factory on Front street, Cincinnati but this likewise proved inadequade to handle the constantly increasing volume of business, and in 1890 it was decided to come to Hamilton, where there would be ample room for the plant to expand as conditions necessitated. Here the plant now occupies ten acres of ground, bounded by Grand boulevard, Lincoln avenue, Safe avenue and Mosler avenue, and one workroom alone is 200x400 feet. This company, always progressive and enterprising, has been responsible for most of the great advances made in safe manufacture during the past three decades. In introduced the present round-cornered safe, and improved time locks to their present high standard of efficiency, and is to be credited with many other improvements in safe construction, such as burglar-proof walls and safes locked with time locks, which, being inside the walls with the door closed air-tight in its jamb, are inaccessible from outside. Of more recent years the company has manufactured the circular screw-door safe, which is absolutely impenetrable, for, there being no hole through the door for a lock-spindle, and therefore there being no
Addison Mount, a well-known and enterprising farmer of Hanover township, Butler county, has illustrated in his career the value of industry and energy when applied in a well-directed manner to the pursuits of agriculture. He has been pre-eminently the architect of his own fortune, and his prosperity has come as a result of the application of his natural talents and the acceptance of ordinary abilities. Mr. Mount was born near Trenton, N. J., November 12, 1855, a son of Thomas and Catherine (Fisher) Mount. Natives of New Jersey, the parents were educated, reared and married in that state, and there passed their lives in the pursuits of the soil. Of their twelve children, four are now living: Hiram, a retired farmer at Carlisle, Ohio; Kate, the wife of Peter Prime, a resident of New Jersey; Addison, of this notice; and William, of Trenton, N. J. Addison Mount was educated in the public schools of his native place and lived at home until after the death of his parents when, in 1875, he came west to Ohio. In 1880 Mr. Mount united in marriage with Clara Moses, of Franklin, Ohio, and they became the parents of seven children: Earl, identified with a bakery in New York City; Herman, who is a moulder at Hamilton, Ohio, and has an interest in his father's farm in Hanover township; John, following the same line at Middletown; Chester, a farmer in Montgomery county, Ohio; Burns, who served in the late war and went to France with the American Expeditionary Forces; Thomas, a farmer at Poast Town, Ohio; and Belle, who died in infancy. Following his marriage, Mr. Mount resided for two years in the vicinity of Troy, Ohio, and after selling out there spent a like period at Tippecanoe, Ohio. He then went to Madison township, Butler county, for four years, and in the spring of 1917 purchased his present farm, the Charles Beiser place, in Hanover township. This is an eighty-acre tract which has been brought to a high state of productiveness through good management, and on which he carries on general farming operations in a manner that leaves no doubt as to his entire ability, thorough knowledge of his occupation and general capacity for industry as well as for using modern methods in a way to make his labors fully repay him. He is a Republican in politics and is accounted a good and public-spirited citizen. He
E. C. Muff. For more than thirty years one of the sound and stable business institutions of Somerville, Butler county, has been the enterprise conducted under the name of the Somerville elevator. The proprietor of this business, E. C. Muff, came into possession of the concern in 1887, and during the intervening time has maintained high standards as to business principles and transactions, so that he is justly accounted today one of the leading business citizens of this thriving Miami valley community. Mr. Muff was born at Somerville, Ohio, in 1866, a son of John and Rachael (Antrim) Muff. His maternal grandfather was John Antrim, a native of New Jersey, who was one of the early settlers of Butler county, locating in Milford township in 1815. Securing land at the edge of the village of Somerville, he cleared it and put it under cultivation, developed a valuable farm, passed the rest of his life in agricultural pursuits, and died advanced in years, in 1879. He was a man widely known in the community and the confidence in which he was universally held caused him to be chosen for the responsible duties concerned with the settlement of estates and other matters of a like nature. He and his wife were the parents of six children, among whom was Rachael, who was born in Milford township. John Muff, father of E. C. Muff, was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, and was a young man when he emigrated to the United States. He arrived in Butler county in 1848, but before he was well settled the reports of the discovery of gold in California swept across the country and he and his brother Christian joined the hurrying throngs who were crossing the prairies in answer to the lure of the precious metal. During the eleven years that he remained in California, both he and his brother were leaders among the miners, and in their accumulation of gain were very fortunate. Returning to Butler county, Mr. Muff settled on a farm south of Somerville, where he carried on operations for some years, but in 1877 turned his attention to the flour mill business, purchasing the mills at Somerville. He did not continue in this line long, however, but disposed of his interests and returned to farming, in which he was engaged until the time of his retirement. He died August 13, 1903, aged sixty-four years, in the faith of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which he and his wife were members and in the work of which they were active. Mr. Muff was a strong Democrat, and as a man well known and highly respected wielded a strong influence in his community. He and his wife were the parents of three children: Edward C.; Stuart A., a retired farmer of New Carlisle, Ohio; and Sallie, the wife of E. L. Tracy. Edward C. Muff attended the public schools of Somerville and Lebanon, and as a young man secured his first business experience in association with his father. In 1887 he purchased the Somerville elevator and this business has since been built up to proportions and prominence where it is considered a necessary commercial adjunct to the city. The elevator, which is situated on the Pennsylvania railroad
George Mullen. An evidence of thrift and economy exists in the cozy and comfortable home owned by George Mullen in the city of Middletown, where he is employed in the great plant of the American Rolling Mill, with which he has been identified since 1905. Mr. Mullen adds to the long list of men who have come to Ohio from other communities, and is a native of Pennsylvania, having been born at Pittsburg, April 10, 1878. His parents, Charles and Katie (Garrison) Mullen, moved from Pittsburg to Anderson, Ind., where they resided for a number of years, but located at Alexandria, Ind., and where Mr. Mullen still makes his home. Mrs. Mullen passed away May 5, 1904, at Anderson, Ind. They were the parents of four children: George; Lida, the wife of Wilson Adams of Anderson, Ind.; Stella, the wife of John Gamble, of Anderson; William, a resident of Middletown. George Mullen was a child when his parents removed to Anderson, Ind., and there his education was secured in the public schools. Later he began to work at his trade at Alexandria, Ind., but in 1905 came to Middletown and entered the employ of the American Rolling Mill company, where he is now employed as a heater. He has the confidence of his superiors at the plant, where he is accounted a reliable and trustworthy workman, and where he has the respect and esteem, as well as friendship, of his fellow-workmen. Mr. Mullen was married August 5, 1902, at Anderson, Ind., to Bessie Hisey, who was born December 20, 1881, at Columbus, Ind., a daughter of John and Janie (Slater) Hisey, the latter now deceased and the former living. There were eleven children in the Hisey family, as follows: Bessie, who is now Mrs. Mullen; Charles and William, residents of Chattanooga, Tenn.; Lottie, the wife of George Panketh of Sandusky,
William Mullendore. One of the well known and well-to-do representatives of the agricultural industry in Butler county, William Mullendore, has occupied his present farm in Lemon township since 1910. He was born in Gratis township, Preble county, Ohio, December 31, 1862, a son of Jacob and Mollie (Beachler) Mullendore. Jacob Mullendore was born in Pennsylvania, and was a lad when he accompanied his parents to Montgomery county, Ohio, there receiving a district school education and being reared to manhood as a farmer. Following his marriage there he moved to Preble county and settled in Gratis township, where he secured land, cleared and cultivated a farm, and established a comfortable home for himself and family. He was a man of more than ordinary intellectual capacity, having' been a teacher in his early years, was a great reader all of his life, and was a man respected and looked up to in his community. He also served as a colonel of Ohio State Militia at one time, and in his death, which occurred at the age of sixty-eight years, the community lost a good and dependable citizen and one of much public spirit. He held several public offices a.nd was influential in the ranks of the Democratic party. He and Mrs. Mullendore, who died at the age of seventy years, were members of the Lutheran church. They were the parents of nine children, of whom the following are living: Osro, of Germantown, Ohio; Ira, a retired farmer of that community; Jacob and Noah, farmers and merchants of Preble county; Annie, living in St. Clair township, Butler county; and William. William Mullendore obtained his edtlcation by attendance at the district schools and remained at home until his marriage to Minnie, daughter of Jacob Apple, of Montgomery county, Ohio. A sketch of the Apple family will be found in the review of Valentine Apple, elsewhere in this work. Mr. and Mrs. Mullendore have four fine children, all of whom have been given the opportunity of securing good educations. Myrtle married Homer Lefferson, of Middletown, Ohio, a sketch of the Lefferson family being found elsewhere in this work. Carl W. formerly a farmer, is now the proprietor of an automobile garage at Franklin, Ohio. David Dewey and Paul Jacob are at home with their parents. After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Mullendore located on a farm in Warren county, where they made their home and engaged in agricultural pursuits for eighteen years, but in
Charles O. Munns, M. D. No one who has lived and labored at Oxford, Butler county, since the eighties has more emphatically succeeded to the good will and confidence of his fellowmen than Dr. Charles O. Munns. Not only have skill and ability contributed to the usefulness of this capable physician, but an inheritance of sterling family traits has lent strength and conservatism beyond the average to his character and influence. Frank Munns was born in County Sligo, Ireland, and was two years of age when brought to the United States by his parents, the family settling west of Oxford, in Butler county, in 1832. The grandfather continued to be engaged in agricultural pursuits throughout his active life here, and reached the advanced age of ninety-two years. His children were: Frank; George, a retired citizen of Oxford; Sarah and Jennie, who are deceased; and Eliza, the widow of Ned Greer, of Oxford. Frank Munns was educated in the public schools and was reared as a farmer, a vocation which he followed successfully all of his life, passing away in 1901, at the age of seventy years. He married Mary Noland, a native of Butler colmty, who still survives him at Oxford at the age of eighty years, and they became the parents of three children: Charles O.; Louis, who resides with his mother; and Thomas, who married Emma Adams and resides at Oxford. Charles O. Munns received his early education in the public schools of Butler county, where he was born December 4, 1860, and subsequently received instruction at a preparatory school at Oxford. Later he attended Miami Training school, where he finished his sophomore college year and did part of the junior college work, but left to enter the University of Michigan medical department, at Ann Arbor, Mich., in 1881, and graduated in 1884, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. Immediately embarking in practice, he has built up a large professional business, and among the long established families has a dependable and extensive patronage. He is a man of broad sympathies, pleasing personality, a larger faith in the goodness and happiness of the world than the average member of the profession, and of old-time courtesy and consideration. He
George C. Munns has for many years been one of the directing heads of one of the most flourishing financial institutions of the Miami valley, the Oxford National bank. His connection with this banking house extends back to the time of its founding, and much of the success which has attended it can be accredited to the splendid ability and foresight, which have also enabled him to make a success of his ventures in other fields of business and financial activities. Mr. Munns was born four miles northwest of Oxford, Butler county, Ohio, May 20,1834, a son of Thomas F. and Ann (Anderson) Munns. The parents, natives of near Sligo, Ireland, sailed for the United States in 1832, and after a rough trip of thirty-two days on the Atlantic made port at New York. The little family then came down the river and canal to Ohio, where the father purchased 130 acres of wild land, and built thereon a log cabin in which George C. Munns was born. The father, a man of much energy, in spite of the fact that he was partially crippled, cleared a great deal of his land and added to his original purchase, so that when he retired to Oxford, m 1864, he was accounted a well-to-do man for his day. He reached the advanced age of ninety-one years, while Mrs. Munns attained the remarkable age of ninety-seven years, and both retained all of their faculties to the last. They were active members of the Methodist Episcopal church and the parents of five children: Sarah, deceased, who married W. W. Greer and has ten children: Frank, a farmer, who died in 1909, his wife, Mary, also being deceased; Jennie, deceased, who was the wife of the late Alexander Young; George C., of this notice; and Eliza, the widow of Edward Green, residing at Oxford. George C. Munns had but little opportunity to go to school as a boy, as he was brought up in a household which valued hard work and which believed that youths should add their mite to the family income. He remained on the home farm until
Seth Murdock. In Oxford township, one of the venerable and highly esteemed agriculturists is Seth Murdock, who has passed his entire life on the property on which he now resides with his sister, Hester, who is also well known and greatly respected in the community. Seth Murdock was born on his present farm in Oxford township, in 1841, a son of John S. and Jane (Hanley) Murdock, the former born in Trumbull county, Ohio, and the latter in Greene county, N. Y. Mrs. Murdock came with her parents down the Ohio river, when six weeks old, the family first locating at Cincinnati and later moving- to Oxford township. John S. Murdock was a blacksmith by trade, who had fought as a soldier during the War of 1812, and was the father of thirteen children, of whom two sons, William and Noble, were soldiers of the Union Army, during the Civil war. John S. Murdock, father of Seth, was born in Trumbull county, Ohio, a son of Asahel and Elizabeth (Starkweather) Murdock, who were married February 28, 1779. In addition to John S., there were the following children: Jerusha, Nabby, Thomas, Lucy, Andrew, Tamson, Harriet and Eliza. The family had removed from Connecticut to Vermont and then to Trumbull county, Ohio, coming later, in 1819, to Oxford township, Butler county, and settling on the farm now owned by Seth Murdock. Asahel Murdock was a Revolutionary patriot and served seven years in General Washmgton's forces. John S. and Jane (Hanley) Murdock were the parents of the following
Harry Murphy. In addition to the gratifying financial returns received from the intelligent operation of his fertile farm in Liberty township, Butler county, Ohio, Harry Murphy, who is one of the most widely known agriculturists in that section, has found stock raising to be decidedly profitable, his observations and experiences having taught him that the raising of live stock involves a thorough knowledge of breeding and the result is that he has become known as one of the really up-to-date stock raisers in Liberty township. A native of Liberty township he grew to manhood in this locality and is now occupying the same farm on which he was born. He was one of six children of Peter and Cyrena (Van Gordon) Murphy, the other children being Sallie Maria, Louis D., Corie E., William E., and Judge Clarence. The father was born in Butler county in 1820 and became prominent in numerous activities besides farming. He was one of the best informed men of that community on the early history of Butler county and throughout his life was active in developing the agricultural and commercial growth of the county. He passed his boyhood days on the farm and was educated in the old pioneer log school of Liberty township. After his marriage he began housekeeping in an old log cabin on his father's farm and resided there four years. He conducted a store in Princeton, Butler county, two years and in 1851 was elected sheriff of Butler county. He discharged the duties of this office with characteristic aggressiveness. At the end of his term of office he purchased land near Princeton and engaged in farming and stock raising with much success. In 1886 he
Charles F. Myers. A progressive and enterprising representative of the agricultural interests of Butler county, Charles F. Myers dates his connection with his present farm, formerly the Simon Goldman place, in Madison township, section 1, to the year 1908. During a somewhat varied career in farming, Mr. Myers has known both fortune and misfortune, but out of his experience he has built up a helpful philosophy of life which has enabled him to have a cheerful outlook and has helped to establish him in public favor and confidence. Mr. Myers was born near Germantown, Montgomery county, O., April 29, 1862, a son of Philip and Julia Ann (Sliffer) Myers, natives of Maryland. The father came to Ohio as a youth of eighteen years, his first location being at Dayton, where he followed the trade of tailor. While he was successful as a follower of this vocation, the call of the soil was irresistible, and he eventually settled on Brown's Run, where he was married, and engaged in farming. He continued as a tiller of the soil until tbe time of his retirement, when he moved to town, and there his death occurred March 1, 1916, at the age of eighty-two years. Mrs. Myers had passed away in 1910, at the age of seventy years, in the faith of the United Brethren church. There were four children in the family of Philip Myers: Francis; Christy, who married Charles H. Haines, of Dayton; Charles F.; and William Ellsworth, who is engaged in farming in Montgomery county. Charles F. Myers attended the district schools in the vicinity of the home farm in Montgomery county, and at the age of fourteen years became self-supporting by starting to work out, thus continuing for four years. At that time he formed a household of his own when he married Mary Moyer, born northwest of Middletown, Butler county, a daughter of John Moyer. To this union there was born one child,
Daniel W. Myers. Among the representative agriculturists of Butler county who have attained to success through long years of cultivation of the soil, one whose career has been rewarded by prosperity is Daniel W. Myers, owner of a valuable property of 145 acres located on the Jacksonboro road. Mr. Myers is a son of Benjamin and Catherine (Hoover) Myers, natives of Maryland, who migrated to Ohio, where they passed their last years on a farm. They were the parents of eight sons and two daughters, of whom all the sons are deceased, except Daniel W.; and Rev. David E., chaplain of the Soldiers' home at Marion, Ind.; the daughters being Nancy, deceased, who was the wife of William Tickle; and Catherine, deceased, who was the wife of Jacob Title. Daniel W. Myers received a public school education and from early manhood has been engaged in farming. He is now the owner of what is known as the Gov. J. M.
W. R. Myers, an undertaker, of Shandon, Ohio, and a son of Daniel and Anna Eliza (Morris) Myers, was born in Hamilton county, Ohio, February 26,1860. Daniel Myers, the father, was born on a farm in Crosby township, Anna Myers, his mother, was born in Morgan township, Butler county. Daniel Myers was the son of John and Mary Myers, the former came with his father to Butler county when twelve years old, settling on the farm now occupied by his grandson, W. R. Myers, the subject of this biography. John Myers enlisted in the War of 1812, and saw active service. To him and his wife were born the following children: William, Henry, Jacob, Daniel, father of W. R. Myers; Adam and Joseph. Daniel Myers and wife lived in Hamilton county, and were parents of several children, ten of whom reached maturity: Mary, who became Mrs. Henry Williamson of Connersville; James, unmarried; Brunett, who married William McHenry, of Lima, Ohio; Orion W., known as Sam, now deceased; John, also deceased; William, the subject of this sketch; Joseph, who is deceased, married Leota Hill. George, now of Cincinnati; Evelyn, now the wife of Mr. Hover; Edward, also deceased, and who married Fannie Gwaltney. A son, Howard, of Mary (Myers) Williamson, was drowned off the Philippine Islands while serving in the Splnish-American war. W. R. Myers at the age of sixteen years, left school, and learned the blacksmith trade, and entered into business at Harrison, Ohio. Later he engaged in the undertaking business and in partnership with another, opened a shop in Shandon, and eventually took over the entire business, and today his establishment is one of the best in the state. He is a licensed embalmer, and in his establishment is to be found all the modern equipments, including that of motor conveyances, for the conducting of funerals. In 1898 he was married to Edith McHenry, a daughter of Joseph and Rachel (Atherton) McHenry, who lived in Hamilton county, and who died several years ago. Their children are: Ora, deceased, who was a doctor; Ella, now Mrs. Albert English; Edith, wife of W. R. Myers; Lowry, a prominent physician of Hamilton, Ohio. To W. R. Myers and wife has been born one son, Daniel, now thirteen years of age. In politics,
Charles W. McClung. Under modern conditions and organization, one of the most important organizations in the municipal service of a city the size of Hamilton is the fire department, and its management requires rare abilities of an executive nature, good diplomatic powers in the handling of large numbers of men so that the large machine may run without retarding friction, the bravery of a fearless soldier and the broad judgment of an able general. All of these traits are possessed by Charles W. McClung, chief of the city fire department of Hamilton, who has advanced through the different grades to his present position from that of driver. Chief McClung was born on a farm in Liberty township, Butler county, Ohio, a son of John and Elizabeth McClung, the former a native of Baltimore county, Md., and the latter of Pennsylvania. They came to Ohio as young people and here met and married, following which they settled on a farm in Liberty township and there rounded out long and honorable careers, the father combining his farming labors with those of his duties as a local minister of the Methodist Episcopal church. Charles W. McClung received his education at the Oak Hill schoolhouse, in Liberty township, and commenced his career as a farm hand. At the time he attained his majority, he began farming on his own account, and continued to be thus engaged until 1891, when he moved to Bethany, Ohio, and engaged in the butcher business. He followed that for six years, and then moved to Hamilton. Chief McClung joined the "fire laddies" in 1897, as a driver out of Engine Station No.2, and for three years served faithfully and rose through the intermediate grades to captain, in 1903. For several years more he fought fires and took an important part in the administration of the department under his superiors, and was then made marshal, on December 22, 1905. January 15, 1918, he was made chief of the department, a position in which he has since remained. The chief of the Hamilton Fire Department is a vigorous, wide-awake, experienced man, and promises to maintain the service of which he is the head at its past standard of superiority, and incorporate into the system the methods and improvements indicated by the advancements of mechanics and science. He is a Democrat in his political adherence, and his fraternal affiliations include membership in the local lodges of the Knights of Pythias and Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Chief McClung married Doretta Eisel, daughter of the late Chas. F. Eisel, one of Hamilton's leading business men. They have no children.
Frank McCord. The energy and business ability of Frank McCord have built up a furniture business at Oxford which compares favorably with the best concerns of the kind in larger and more thickly settled communities. The owner has a thorough knowledge of his occupation, sufficient courage to weather inevitable depressions in trade and sufficient wisdom to realize that only by maintaining a high standard can he hope for uniform and continued success. As a citizen he ranks high among the men of his town. Mr.
Walter M. McCoy. In every large community all lines of business
William E. McCoy. Many years of industrious and worthy connection with the agricultural interests of Butler county have served to place William E. McCoy in the substantial class of farmer citizens of this fertile and prosperous part of the Miami valley. During the period of his activities here, it has been his fortune to have so directed his labors as to have reaped the material rewards of a life of industry, and at the same time his affairs have been managed in a manner that has gained for him the well-merited respect of his fellow-citizens. Mr. McCoy was born on a farm in Oxford township, Butler county, March 3, 1856, a son of Samuel McCoy. Samuel Mc. Coy was a native of Pennsylvania and was still a boy when he came with his parents to Ohio, where his earliest employment was found on the canal. Here he was married to Miranda, daughter of Gideon
Edward Weaver McCracken, who, since his arrival at Middletown in 1911, has been in the service of the American Rolling Mill, is firmly established as a reliable and useful citizen, as well as a property owner, and resides in his own home at No. 414 Sulphur avenue. Mr. McCracken was born near Pittsburg, Pa., May 26, 1881, a son of Joseph Drummond and Mary Jane (Kreps) McCracken. He comes of fighting stock on both sides of the family, as his father and two of the latter's brothers were soldiers during the Civil war, as were also four brothers of his mother. Mrs. McCracken died August 8, 1908, while the father survived until July, 1918. They were the parents of six children: Edward Weaver; William, a resident of West Virginia; Marion, of Pennsylvania; John Barr, who lives in Indiana; Maud, now Mrs. George Kline, of Pennsylvania; and George, also of that state. Edward W. McCracken received his education in the public schools of his native
John H. McCray. Among the men to whom the thriving town of College Corner, Ohio, is indebted for its present prosperity and high standing among the business communities of this part of the Miami valley, none is deserving of more credit for what he has accomplished than is John H. McCray. Through his progressive spirit and industrious enterprise, the town is in possession of an excellent telephone system and has splendid electric lighting facilities, and it was also Mr. McCray who backed the big fight in the courts necessary to secure the granting and locating of the McCray ditch, a public utility which has been of the greatest service. Mr. McCray was born in June, 1849, in Center township, Union county, Ind., a son of John McCray, and a grandson of Phineas McCray, of Pennsylvania, who came as a pioneer to Poast Town, Ohio, and later moved to Connersville, Ind., in 1812. He was engaged in farming there, but later moved to Union county, Ind., where he rounded out the years of a long and honorable career. John McCray grew up in Fayette county, Ind., in a family of eight children, and there received an ordinary education. In 1847 he went to Union county, Ind., where he secured land and made a home, and his entire life was passed in the peaceful pursuits of agriculture. He was a Democrat and a good citizen, but never desired public office. Mr. McCray married Eliza Hueston, of Pennsylvania, a daughter of John Hueston, of Ireland, who came to the United States in young manhood and settled later in Fayette county, Ind., where he passed his life in farming. Of his eight children, all are deceased. John McCray died in 1865, at the age of sixty-one years, while Mrs. McCray passed away in 1873, when sixty-eight years of age. They were the parents of four children: Samuel, who died in infancy; Joseph, who made his home with his brother, John H., and died in 1911; Lucinda, deceased; and John H. John H. McCray was given only limited educational advantages, but made the most of them, and when he was sixteen years of age, at the time of his father's death, entered upon his own career. He remained on the old home place and continued farming until 1913, in which year he gave up active work as a farmer
W. H. McCurley. Within the pages of this history will be found reference to many of those sterling citizens who have done well their part in furthering and upholding the prestige of Butler county in the domain of agricultural and live stock enterprises, and such an one is Mr. McCurley, to whose career further interest is given by reason of his being a native son of the county and a representative of one of its honored pioneer families. Though he has now passed the psalmist's span of three score years and ten, he is still vigorous of mind and physical powers and continues to give his personal supervision to his fine farm, of 172 acres, in Fairfield township. Mr. McCurley was born on a pioneer farm in Ross township, Butler county, and the date of his nativity was August 16, 1846. His parents, James and Jane McCurley, were born and reared in Pennsylvania, where their marriage was solemnized and where their first three children were born. In company with his wife and their three children, James McCurley came to Butler county in an early day and settled in Ross township, where he rented land and continued farm operations until about the year 1854. He then removed with his family to Shelby county, Ind., where both he and his wife passed the remainder of their lives. They became the parents of six children, two of whom died shortly after coming to Ohio. The remaining four were taken to Pennsylvania after the death of their parents, and cared for in the homes of their kinsfolk in that state. Of the children only two are now living - the subject of this review, and Stephen, the latter being a resident of Batavia, Mich. He whose name introduces this sketch received his early education in the pioneer schools of Shelby county, Ind., and the common schools of Pennsylvania, to which state he was taken by relatives after the death of his parents. In the old Keystone state he was indentured, or "bound out" to a farmer, and he thus continued his services until
Alexander G. McDill. Among the citizens of College Corner who have laid aside business cares for the peace and comfort of retirement is Alexander G. McDill, who for many years was widely and favorably known in the milling business. Mr. McDill was born June 26, 1863, in Preble county, Ohio, a son of Thomas C. McDill. The first of the McDill family to come to America was the great-
Michael D. McGrath. An illustration of the development of a modern commercial enterprise from small beginnings to large proportions is found in the history of the New York Rackett store, at Hamilton. The proprietor of this establishment, Michael D. McGrath in the work of building up this enterprise, has displayed the possession of business qualities of a high character and in spite of several discouraging setbacks has kept persistently active and energetic until he is now well on the road to a position among the successful business men of his commumty. Mr. McGrath was born at Brant, Campbell county, Ky., September 13, 1881, a son of James and Mary (Deviney) McGrath, natives of that state, where the mother died and where the father still survives, a retired farmer. There were two sons and three daughters in the family: Thomas, who was associated with the firm of Sears, Roebuck & company, as head of its jewelry department at Hamilton until the United States entered the Great war, at which time he joined the medical corps of the U. S. Army, and was subsequently badly wounded in action and gassed twice during the Meuse Argonne offensive; Susan, who is a Mother Superior in a convent at Cleveland; May, who is a Sister in the convent at Mount St. Martins, Newport, Ky.; Jane, who is married to a stockman of Rushville, Ind., and has one child; and Michael. Michael McGrath is indebted to the public school at Cold Spring, Ky., for his educational training, and his boyhood was passed on his father's farm in Campbell county. He was but sixteen years of age when he enlisted for service during this country's war with Spain, joining Company M, 6th Kentucky Infantry, with which he served for fifteen months, coming through his engagements unscathed. When he received his honorable discharge, he went to Cincinnati and for one and one-half years worked at the trade of moulder, but eventually turned his attention to commercial pursuits, entering the employ of Mr. Snow, who was at that time proprietor of the New York Rackett store at Hamilton. In January, 1913, Mr. McGrath purchased the interests of his employer, becoming sole proprietor of the business, which he owned when occurred the disastrous flood of the same year. His loss in that catastrophe amounted to $7,000, a serious blow to one just starting business on his own account, but this failed to discourage him. On the contrary, when he resumed business, it was with an enlarged and greatly improved establishment, which has been adding to its patronage annually ever since. The success of his Hamilton venture led Mr. McGrath to enlarge the scope of his activities, and he is now also proprietor of a branch store at Middletown, also known as the New York Rackett store, which is under the management of Carl Wedekind. Mr. McGrath is favorably known in business circles because of his integrity and promptness in business engagements, and is a popular and active member of the Hamilton Retail Merchants' association. He belongs also to
E. L. McIntosh, D. V. M. In the practice of veterinary surgery, Dr. E. L. McIntosh, of Oxford, has exercised a natural talent for his calling and the skill that has come through long and thorough specialized training, and has built up an excellent patronage in Butler and the surrounding counties, and is accounted a man of marked capability. He was born in Columbiana county, Ohio, a son of James C. McIntosh, of the same county, and a grandson of Thomas McIntosh, who was an early settler of that county, near Wellsville, the family being of Scotch-Irish origin. James C. McIntosh was a farmer who also had extensive lumber interests, and was active in civic affairs as a Republican, serving six years as a member of the board of county commissioners. He was a member of the United Presbyterian church, to which also belonged his wife, who was Martha Shafer, whose people were early settlers of Columbiana county, Ohio. They were the parents of six children: Ida, at home; Thomas A., a druggist at Wellsville; Alexander H., owner of a lumber business and saw mill in Colnmbiana county; Edwin L., who was born December 1, 1875; Ella H., who married Harry H. Laughlin; and James C., jr., engaged in farming on the old home place. E. L. McIntosh was educated in the home schools and subsequently took a course in pharmacy at Valparaiso, following which he engaged in the drug business at Wellsville, in which he continued for eight years. He then took a course in veterinary surgery at Cincinnati, in 1908, and established himself in practice at Harrison, Ohio, but after two years took up his residence and practice at Oxford, where he has since remained. He is now possessed of an excellent patronage and occupies a leading place in his vocation. He has a modern home on West Spring street, his property consisting of five acres of land, on which he has made numerous improvements. Personally, he is a man who has made and held numerous friendships. In politics he is a Republican, and as a fraternalist affiliates with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Mr. McIntosh was married in 1902 to Ruth, daughter of Edward and Maria (Ladler) Bader, the former of whom died at Oxford and the latter a resident of Toledo. To this union there were born three children: Martha Mary, James Edwin and Helen Louise. Mrs. McIntosh is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and is active in its work.
William Curtis McIntosh. Among the more recent additions to the working force employed at the enormous plant of the American Rolling mill, at Middletown, is found William Curtis McIntosh, who since 1915 has been on the company's payroll in the capacity of heater. A young man of energetic habits and excellent personal character, since his arrival at Middletown, he has not only
Charles E. McKinley, son of John and Sara (Waugh) McKinley, was born in West Virginia, August 5, 1868. The parents were of Scotch-Irish descent, and it is highly probable that they are of the same Clan as that to which the late President McKinley belonged. Charles E. was the second of five children in the family: W. J., now deceased; Charles E.; E. D., now a farmer in Jefferson county, Ohio; Mary B., Mrs. J. S. Nixon, in Jefferson county; Anna J., Mrs. John Lee, in Wellsburg, W. Va. It is quite evident that the patriotic, liberty-loving spirit of his ancestors is inherent in our subject. He enlisted in the 1st United States Volunteer Cavalry, Rough Riders, at Santa Fe, N. M., May 6, 1898, and is justly proud of the Certificate of Merit issued and presented to him on recommendation of the late President Theo. Roosevelt, then lieutenant-colonel of the regiment, for distinguished services in the Spanish-American war. December 24, 1900, at Greensburgh, Pa., Mr. McKinley was married to Winona Rarigh, born February 1, 1876, in Armstrong county, Pa., and was a daughter of Archibold and Catherine (Nichols) Rarigh. Her parents were of English extraction. The mother died September 26, 1917, her father is still living in Pennsylvania. She had six sisters and brothers: Lenore, Mrs. R. A. McKinney, in Armstrong county, Pa.; Lawrence, in Beaver, Pa.; Claire, deceased; Esmer, living in Tarentum, Pa.; Dolcy, Mrs. Harry
Isaac McLane, one of the leading real estate dealers of Middletown, has developed a business that yields him a gratifying income, and proves that in entering this line of activity, he found his proper life work. He was born in Franklin, Warren county, Ohio, May 8, 1837, a son of James and Rachel (Dearth) McLane, and grandson of William McLane, who came to Ohio from Virginia in 1805, and after a stop at Monroe, located at Middletown. James McLane was born at Middletown, October 13, 1814, near the present site of the Shartle foundry. He saw the first shovel of dirt thrown out of the the Miami canal, and after it was completed, drove the first boat, the "Sally Jackson.” In 1828, with his father, he removed to Franklin, where he established a general store on the corner of River and Sixth streets, and soon thereafter opened the first livery stable in the place. Not only did he make a remarkable record as a business man, but was an inventor as well, and in 1850, completed his hollow roller. Although this venerable gentleman had passed the century milestone several years, on his 104th birthday, October 13, 1918, he was visited by Odd Fellows from all over the country to pay him honor, as he enjoyed the distinction of being the oldest member of his fraternity in the United States, joining it in 1850. He is now deceased, having passed away September 24, 1919. Isaac McLane was reared at home, and attended the schools of Franklin. In 1859, he was married to Miss Elizabeth Shrackengast, a daughter of Asbury and Elizabeth Shrackengast, both natives of Preble county, Ohio. There were two children born of this marriage, namely: James Scott, and Eva. In 1885, Mr. McLane was married (second) to Miss Emma Craig, a daughter of Henry and Hannah Craig, natives of Butler county, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. McLane have one daughter, Rachel Edna, who is the wife of A. E. Duvall, foreman of the Middletown, Ohio, Machine Company of Middletown. Mr. McLane's services to his community have been very valuable, and are appreciated by his fellow-citizens. Through his enterprise realty values have been increased, outlying districts have been built up, and outside capital has become interested, and it is more than probable that much of the present prosperity of Middletown is directly due to him and his intelligent foresight which enabled him to see so far into the future, combined with his faith in the ultimate development of the little city in which he has spent so many years.
Mrs. Elizabeth F. McLaughlin. Among the highly esteemed residents of Middletown one who has formed and held many friendships during her residence here is Mrs. Elizabeth F. McLaughlin. She is a native of Hamilton, Ohio, and a daughter of John and Elizabeth (Gluhm) Holthaus, the former of whom died October 9, 1905, and the latter December 28, 1918. She was educated in the parochial schools of Hamilton, where she was first married to Joseph Duerr, a son of Frank and Barbara (Ritt) Duerr. Mr. Duerr died June 10, 1892, at Hamilton, leaving his widow with four small children. Although her means were small, her courage was great, and she kept her little flock together. Her eldest daughter, Clara, is now Mrs. C. O. Stansfield, of Urbana, Ohio; John is a resident of Middletown; Lillian is now Mrs. Frank Sauter; and Harry also lives at Middletown. November 12, 1895, Mrs. Duerr married Martin McLaughlin, a native of Sligo, Ireland, who died October 1, 1905, at Middletown. Mr. McLaughlin was one of the most highly respected men of Butler county. He served six years as county commissioner and seven years as township trustee, and his record in office was an excellent one and one which reflected credit upon his ability and his high sense of public duty. At his death his widow was again left with small children: John, Mary, Robert and Martin, of whom Robert is now deceased. Again the courageous woman faced the world with her children, and she now has the pleasure of seeing them established or on their way to being so. Her son John is office manager of the Kuntz Lumber company, of Middletown; her daughter Mary is taking a nurse's course at Mercy Hospital, Hamilton; and her son Martin is attending Holy Trinity school. Mrs. McLaughlin is a woman of fine intellect, womanly qualities and pleasing personality. She is a devout member of Holy Trinity church, and has her own charming home on Harrison avenue, where she is always glad to welcome her many friends.
James Edward McMechan. Butler county is admirably suited for farming and stock raising, not only because of climatic conditions and the fertility of the soil, but also because of its location with regard to transportaiton facilities, thus enabling farmers to find a ready market for their produce, and this is also considered a very important factor in determining agriculturists as to the selection of their land. One of the substantial men of Butler county who has obtained desirable results from the operation of his farm, and who is also well known as a dealer in real estate, is James Edward McMechan, the owner of a valuable property in Wayne township. Mr. McMechan was born February 23, 1867, at Four Mile, St. Clair township, Butler county, a son of James P. McMechan. His grandfather was James McMechan, a native of Ireland, who was an early settler of Butler county and one of the pioneer merchants of Collinsville. He married Mary Brooks, of St. Clair township, daughter of William Brooks, of Pennsylvania, and they became the parents of fourteen children, all of whom grew to maturity and all now deceased. James P. McMechan was born near Collinsville, Ohio, and grew up in Milford township, where he received his education in the home schools. After the death of
Rev. William J. McSurely was born in Adams county, Ohio, September 1, 1834, a son of Hugh and Mary (Clark) McSurely. His father, a native of Lexington, Ky., went in young manhood to Adams county, Ohio, where he met and married Miss Clark, a native of Virginia, they then settling at Rockville, Ohio, where Mr. McSurely followed tanning and farming. He was possessed of only a public school education, but was a man of intelligence and broad information, and was a public-spirited and loyal citizen and a soldier of the Union during the Civil war. He and his wife, both of whom died in Adams county, Ohio, were the parents of three sons: William J., of this notice; Samuel M., who passed his life as a farmer and was a soldier during the War between the States; and George A. George A. McSurely attended Miami university during 1859 and 1860, and at the outbreak of the Civil war enlisted in Company E, 70th Regiment, Ohio Vollmteer Infantry, with which he took part in various engagements, including those of the Atlanta campaign, and received his honorable discharge July 28, 1865, after taking part in the Grand Review at Washington, D. C. In 1900 he was elected
Jacob Naegelen, who has been identified with the American Rolling mill at Middletown since the opening of that plant in 1900 as a machinist, was born July 15, 1862, at Cincinnati, Ohio, a son of Charles and Theresa (Grever) Naegelen, natives of France who came to the United States as a young married couple. The mother passed away in 1903, but the father still lives, being now eighty-two years old. There were three children in the family: Jacob, Julius and Charles, and Jacob is the only survivor. Charles Naegelen lost a son who met a hero's death on a battlefield in France, and his loss so affected his father that he soon succumbed to grief and followed him to the grave. Jacob Naegelen received only a public school education and as a youth applied himself to learning the trade of machinist. This vocation he followed for many years in different localities, but since the opening of the American Rolling mill at Middletown, in 1900, he has been identified with this great plant. In politics he takes a non-partisan stand. Mr. and Mrs. Naegelen are consistent members of the Lutheran church, and as thrifty people have put away a comfortable competence for their evening of life, in addition to which they own a pleasant, modern home on Young street. Mr. Naege1en was married at Cincinnati, February 27, 1884, to Frances, who was born at Cincinnati, February 26, 1863, a daughter of Philip and Sophia (Winkleman) Huffert. Mr. Huffert died in 1907, while his widow still survives as a resident of Middletown. There were five daughters in the Huffert family: Eva, the wife of P. H. Morton, of Cincinnati; Flora, the wife of Walter Barrett, of that city; Rose, the wife of William .T anson, of that city; Lillie, the wife of Frank Rheimegar, also of Cincinnati; and Mrs. Naege1en, of Middletown. To Mr. and Mrs. Naege1en there have been born five children: Jacob, formerly of Cincinnati, but now in the United States Navy, stationed at Norfolk, Va.; Lawrence, of Cincinnati; Charles, of Middletown, was with the Nineteenth Engineering Corps, in France; Ju1ius, of Middletown; and Theresa, the wife of Guy Hatton, who holds a responsible position with the Big Four railroad at Middletown.
Fred W. Nagel. Both in private life and public affairs, Fred W. N agel has proved himself eminently capable, energetic and trustworthy, and during the lifelong period of his association with Oxford, has won a permanent place as a practical and constructive promoter of the best business and civic interests of the community. Mr. Nagel, who has been in the business of funeral directing at Oxford since 1907 and has one of the leading establishments of the city, was born at Oxford, October 18, 1876, a son of Fred and Catherine Nagel. His parents, natives of Germany, emigrated to the United
John F. Neilan. Prominent among the men who have made
Edward H. Nein. All lines of business industry at Middletown, Ohio, have grown and increased in extent, scope and value during recent years, and the credit for this desirable state of affairs must be largely given to the enterprising realty dealers, whose energy and modern methods have assisted in putting the city on a sound financial basis through encouraging new settlement and attracting business houses to this point. Of the firms who have been prominent in developing new sections of the city, none is better known than that of Nein Brothers Realty company, which, within less than a decade, has come rapidly to the forefront among the leading operators of the municipality. Edward H. Nein, the senior member of this firm, and a man widely known and highly esteemed in business circles, was born near Cambridge City, Wayne county, Ind., February 6, 1878, a son of Henry and Margaret (Grau) Nein. His father, born in Germany in 1839, was sixteen years of age when he came to the United States and during the rest of his life was engaged in agricultural pursuits, his death occurring in Butler county, Ohio, in 1901. Mrs. Nein, who was born in Butler county, Ohio, February 14, 1848, survives her husband and lives at Hamilton, this state. Edward H.
John F. Nein. As Middletown has become, year by year, a more and more important commercial and industrial center, its business has naturally increased, and its population has reached a magnitude which has been a constantly growing tax upon the capacity of its residence districts. This state of affairs is being met by the capable realty operators, who have solved the question involved by the development of new sections of the city, in which they have furnished homes, largely for the working classes, and in this field no concern has accomplished greater or more successful results than that of Nein Brothers Realty company. John F. Nein, the junior member of this firm, a man widely versed in realty values and a skilled and thoroughly reliable bussiness man, was born near Cambridge City, Wayne county, Ind., August 15, 1880. His father was Henry Nein, who was born in Germany in 1839 and came to the United States in 1855, the rest of his life being passed in farming in Indiana and Ohio, and his death occurring in Butler county of the latter state. Henry Nein married Margaret Grau, who was born in Butler county, and who survives him and makes her home at Hamilton. John F. Nein
Louis T. Nein, who has risen from the schoolroom to public honors and success, and who now occupies the position of treasurer of Butler county, was born at Milton, Ind., and was a child when brought by his parents to Morgan township, Butler county, Ohio, where he grew up on a farm and received his early education in the district schools. After his graduation from the New London High school, in 1901, he taught a rural school for one year in Milford township, and was then made principal of the Millville school, a position which he retained two years. Going then to Indianapolis, Mr. Nein became identified with the Pennsylvania Railway company, and with that line rose to the office of chief clerk of the accounting department of the Indianapolis office. In 1912 he resigned and went to Middletown, Ohio, where he established himself in business as the proprietor of a general merchandise store. In 1914, he was appointed city auditor of Middletown, and served in that office until August 3, 1919, when he resigned to take the position
Clarence Newcomb, who belongs to one of the old and honored families of the Miami valley, and who is now chief electrician at Sorg's mills, at Middletown, was born at Franklin, Warren county, Ohio, in 1879. He is a grandson of John Newcomb, who fought with an Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment during the Civil war, and who still survives as a resident of Indiana. Clarence Newcomb received his education in the public schools of Franklin, and as a youth began to learn the trade of electrician, after mastering which he was variously employed until entering Sorg's mills. There he won consecutive promotion until he was placed in his present position, one in which he has numerous responsibilities, in the faithful and efficient discharge of which he has gained the full confidence of his employers and the respect and esteem of those over whom he has charge. Mr. Newcomb was married July 12, 1894, to Miss Mary E. Murphy, who was born in 1881 in the home of Mrs. Anna O'Flynn, the oldest woman of Irish parentage at Franklin, who still resides in the same home. To this union there were born three sons: Fred, Howard and Isaac. The Newcomb home was saddened February 11, 1919, by the death of Mrs. Newcomb, following an operation which was held in the hope of curing her of a trouble that had made her ill for a number of years. She was a beautiful character, an exceedingly devout woman, and a faithful member of the Catholic church. She was an excellent housewife and a loving and tender mother and wife, and the beauty, sincerity and maternal affection which were hers are revealed in her farewell letter to her husband. Following her suggestions therein, Mr. Newcomb has, since her death, become a devout Catholic, and is also carrying out his wife's request by sending their little son, Isaac, to a Catholic boarding school. Fred Newcomb, the eldest of the sons, completed his education in the Franklin High school in 1914, and at that time went to Cleveland, where he secured employment at the Riverside furnace, as crane man. He continued in this firm's employ until September 9, 1918, when he enlisted in the United States Navy, at Cleveland, and when the Minnesota forest fires broke out went with his comp.any up the Great Lakes to assist in stamping out these conflagrations. Returning from that service, he received his honorable discharge and was mustered out of the service December 22 1918 at which time he returned to his former position, which he still occupIes.
John. C. Newlin, who is associated with his son, Le Roy Newlin, in the painting and decorating business at Middletown, is a representative citizen and reliable business man of this city. He is a
James C. Niblock, son of John and Catherine (Donahue) Niblock, was born March 14, 1870, at Struthers, Ohio. The parents came from Belfast, Ireland, to establish their home in the "land of the free," and proved worthy citizens of their adopted country. Mrs. Niblock died in Huntington, Ind., in January, 1888, and the death of Mr. Niblock occurred at Fort Wayne, Ind., in October, 1918. Mr. and Mrs. Niblock were the parents of nine children: Maggie, Mrs. Thos. Mylott, of Decatur, Ind.; David, now in Anderson, Ind.; Catherine, Mrs. J. W. Place; Andrew, in Warren, Ohio; Henry, in Chicago; Lizzie, Mrs. Charles Hammond, in Huntington, Ind.; John, in the west; Will, in Muncie, Ind., and James C., our subject, who married Emma C. Love, daughter of William and Elizabeth (Melmer) Love, at Muncie, Ind., February 10, 1891. She was born in Glasgow, Scotland, January 16, 1870, and came with her parents to Montreal, Canada, when quite a young girl, where her father engaged in the railroad business. Her mother died September 10, 1902; her father, July 31, 1911. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Niblock: Catherine, Mrs. Charles Bolton; Harry, married Maud Mulligan; Margaret, William and Alice. William
George H. Nichol. For one of its oldest families and most interesting agricultural landmarks, Hanover township, Butler county, is indebted to the courage and farsightedness of the progenitor of the Nichol family in this region, who took up his residence here during the presidency of James Monroe. John W. Nichol was of Scotch-Irish extraction and came from Pennsylvania. Entering a goodly portion of land he erected a dwelling of rough logs, and a stout heart and eager determination transformed hardships into shining stepping-stones to better things, so that he realized many of his worthy ambitions and became a prominent and well-to-do man of his locality. On this farm was born his son, Joseph W. Nichol, who married Henrietta Kyger, who belonged to an old family of Pennsylvania. She was born on the old Kyger homestead in Milford township that is now owned by her son, John W. Nichol, one of the enterprising, progressive and successful agriculturists of Butler county. Following their marriage, Joseph W. and Henrietta Nichol took up their residence on the Nichol place, and there followed farming successfully until Mr. Nichol's death, after which his widow moved to Hamilton, where she passed away. They were laid to rest side by side in the cemetery at Darrtown. Their children were: John W., of Darrtown; Mrs. Nellie Hansel, of that place; Mrs. Sallie Herron; Mrs. Louise Coulter; Elizabeth, who is deceased; and George H. George H. Nichol was born on the old Nichol homestead in Hanover township, June 25, 1867, and received good educational advantages, attending the schools of Hanover township and Oxford, and also spending one year at Lebanon university. After leaving school he began to assist his father at home, and February 19, 1897, was married in Milford township to Elizabeth, daughter of Henry and Margaret Snyder, former residents of this township who are now deceased. The Snyder children were: Mrs. Ida Trump; Samuel; Elizabeth, now Mrs. Nichol; Mrs. Barbara and Mrs. Maggie Harris; Harris; William; and Charles, who is deceased. After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Nichol settled on their present property, which consists of 200 acres, and which is highly improved and in an excellent state of cultivation. In addition to this property, Mr. Nichol owns another tract of 159 acres in Milford township, and a one-half interest in a third property, of 218 acres, likewise in Milford township. While general farming has been his regular business and one in which he has gained a full share of prosperity, he has also met with much success in raising Shorthorn cattle and is considered an authority upon live stock. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias lodge at Darrtown and of the Lutheran church, and takes a wholesome interest in charitable institutions, being one of the most generous men when called upon to forward and assist any worthy cause, as exemplified in his large contributions to the
John A. Nicol, who is a substantial retired resident of Middletown, bears a name that has been held in much esteem in Butler county for many years. He was born near this city, a son of John G. and Kunngunde (Eighler) Nicol. John G. Nicol was born in Bavaria, Germany, and came from his native land to the United States in company with his father, the mother having died in Bavaria. October 28, 1856, he married Kunngunde Eighler, who died while their three children were very young. Of these, two are living, John A. and Anna Barbara; the second born, Kate Marguerite, being deceased. Bavaria has always been one of the rich provinces of Germany, but there were many poor but honest people there also, and to this latter class the Nicols belonged. In 1863 John G. Nicol crossed the Atlantic to the United States and when he reached Middletown, Ohio, he had but nineteen cents left. He immediately sought work and at first made a living for himself and family by sawing wood, his industry being the recommendation that secured him the position of hauling logs for the Wardlow Thomas Paper company. He afterward engaged in farming, living on the William Walter farm near Middletown, which was a fine property and which he later purchased. For many years he continued to work his land and brought it to a high state of production, and continued to reside on the farm until 1911, when he sold it to Albert Miller, removing then with his son and daughter to Lakeside where three fine residence properties were bought. Although Mr. Nicol has reached the advanced age of eighty-seven years, the passage of time has touched him lightly, and he is passing the evening of life tenderly cared for by his two devoted children. The family belongs to Bethlehem Lutheran church.
C. B. Niederlander. The captains of industry who are directing the financial activities of various sections in maintaining the nation's monetary prestige, and combating the influence of the foes to established currency and methods of transacting business, are the men who shoulder the responsibility for prosperity and advancement along every line of commercial and industrial activity. Without them and their sound, conservative policies, the country would be at the mercy of every irresponsible speculator or visionary idealist. These men of affairs keep their finger on the pulse of progress and are able to prevent undue stimulation or dangerous reflex action. One of the men who established a name and reputation in banking circles of the Miami valley is C. B. Niederlander, president of The American Trust & Savings bank of Middletown. Mr. Niederlander was born at Middletown, Ohio, April 6, 1864, a son of Joseph W. and Maria (Cunningham) Niederlander, the former a native of Alsace and the latter of Utica, N. Y. They were both young when they came to Middletown, where they were married, and where the
Joseph Niemeyer. Various farms in Butler county have been improved by the occupancy of Joseph Niemeyer, at present retired, although still the owner of a ninety-five acre tract in section 36, Lemon township. From the years 1903 to 1917 he increased the value of this fine property, was extensively engaged in general farming and stock raising, and established a standard of agricultural procedure creditable to any community. Mr. Niemeyer was born December 15, 1842, in Westphalia, Germany, and attended the schools of his native land, where he lived until he was twenty-four years of age. He arrived in the United States in 1866, with no knowledge of the English language, and with but a limited capital. Both of these discrepancies were attended to, however, for he quickly learned the language of his adopted country, and gave himself a good practical education therein, while, being a willing and capable workman, he soon found employment, and during the two years that he remained in Cincinnati earned good wages in a foundry. In 1868 he came to Hamilton, O., where for six months he worked for the firm of Owen, Lane & Deyer, and then established himself in business on his own account as the proprietor of a dray line. He was married February
continue page 550