The information in the associated pages is based
on the photographs taken by Vivian Combs Moon and Caroline Huppi beginning
in 2004 and the records in the keeping of the City of Middletown’s
Engineering Office. In 1987 the
city records were used to produce the “Burial Records Middletown
“Pioneer” Cemetery 1827-1987” .
This book was also used as a reference. When the tombstones were impossible to read death
certificates, internet sources, & the city records have been used to
fill in some of the blanks. The
cemetery has around 7,000 burials.
Not all graves had tombstones, some tombstones have been buried and
possibly some tombstones have been removed from the cemetery. Burial locations have been added when
known. There are over 3,000
photographs tied to this site
old Middletown Cemetery originally contained four acres, in the south-east
quarter of section No. 28. This ground was laid off by James HEATON, who
surveyed it, thirteen lots being set aside for a potter's-field. The
original trustees were Israel GIBSON, John M. BARRET, and Robert CAMPBELL.
This was the 30th of May, 1827.
The Middletown Cemetery Association was
organized May 25, 1878. On the 4th of August, 1863, two acres were added,
and again, October 11, 1869, five acres were purchased. The association,
when organized under the special act of the Legislature, consisted of the
following persons: W.B OGLESBY, Jos. S. KELLEY, John CORSIN, Thos. WILSON,
Edward JONES, B. RATHMAN, S.V. CURTIS, G.E. WAMPLER, C.W. SUTPHIN, I.C.
FARIES, A.D. COLLINS, William SHEELS, William MOORE, C.S. BARNITZ, C.F.
GUNCKEL, J.B. HARTLEY, J.J. PALLER”
From the 1882, A History and Biographical Cyclopaedia of Butler
County Ohio, https://sites.rootsweb.com/~ohbutler/cyc/
The cemetery became the City of Middletown’s
responsibility when financial difficulties closed the cemetery. The cemetery is labeled the Middletown
Cemetery on the new, 2005 sign out front but the cemetery. The USGS “GNIS” identification has the
cemetery as the “Middletown Cemetery.”
Some call the cemetery the Pioneer Cemetery as many of Middletown’s
founding families are buried here.
Names like Bonnell, Bowman, Doty,
Lefferson, Sutphin, Tytus, Vail, and Wolverton are found throughout
the cemetery. The original burial
place in Middletown was on a bluff along the Great Miami River, by 1873
only two stones remained and by the time of the 1913 flood the burial
ground was gone. The two stones
visible in 1873 were noted to be “George Russell, who died May 25-1814 and
Moses Vail, son of Steven Vail, who died at the age of sixty-two
years.” Other sources claim that
most of Middletown’s Revolutionary War Veterans were buried in the old
burial ground as only two Revolutionary War Veterans have tombstones in the
Some graves have been moved by families from the
Middletown Historical Pioneer Cemetery to other cemeteries. Those removed to Woodside Cemetery and
Arboretum may find more accurate records at the Woodside office.
Southwest Butler County Genealogical Society published, and has for sale, The
Burial Records, Middletown “Pioneer” Cemetery, 1827 – 1987. PO Box 243, Hamilton, OH 45012.
Special recognition needs to go to
Mr. & Mrs. Stanley Crist of Middletown, who
transcribed the original cemetery records into the form currently in use at
the Middletown Engineers Office.
Their work helps when tombstones were are no longer readable. Generations will continue to make use of
the information Mr. & Mrs. Crist, generously organized and
preserved. The Middletown Engineers
Office continues to maintain records of the cemetery using the Crist’s