Wrecks at Timaru, New Zealand

A Ships Cemetery  -  Timaru 

Caroline Bay August 1999

In vain vessel after vessel lays her bones on the beach. 

Vessel Year Type Tons Built Captain Remarks
Akbar 1879 Brigantine 204 British North America in 1873 John Watt 5 drowned, struck 1 miles beyond Dashing Rocks

Ben Venue


Iron Ship 999 Scotland McGowan, W.H.

Sank on 14th May in heavy seas while lying at Timaru roadstead. No lives were lost.



Barque 450 USA  1845 Lewis

Wrecked in Timaru Harbour on 23rd May when anchors dragged

City of Cashmere 1882 iron clipper ship 1000 1863 at Glasgow Ross January 12 1882. Loss anchor.

Craig Ellachie


Brigantine 226 Sunderland  1862 Magnus S. Meredith

Went ashore Timaru on December 22nd after parting her cables in a gale.



Barque 527 Miramichi, New Brunswick 1862 Robson Clayburn

Run ashore at Timaru on 9th May. No lives were lost in the accident.



Brigantine 139 Yarmouth
Nova Scotia 1844 
J.E. Driver

Went ashore at Timaru on June 13th

Duke of Sutherland


Barque 1047 Scotland Rowland

Sank on 2nd May  while at anchor in Timaru roadstead.



Steamer 4,579
Swan and Hunter, Newcastle, ENG 1891 Grounded on 9th March off Normanby Point south of Timaru in fog. 

Fairy Queen


Brig  photo 214 Aberdeen 1863 Wm. Spence

Parted her cable and was driven ashore at Timaru on 27th August

Isabella Ridley


Barque 233 Greenock Scotland  1858  K. McKinnon

Wrecked at Timaru on 19th April after dragging her anchors.

Lapwing 1878 Brigantine 22 Murray Harbour, Prince Edward Island 1876 William Anderson. Min. casualty. False keel knocked



Brig 144 Poole Dorset in 1856. G. Worledge

Was driven ashore near Timaru when anchor cables parted on June 8th 



Iron Ship 1180 R. Duncan, Glasgow, SCT in 1878 H.W. Boorman

Built of  tons sank on 12th June 1886 at Timaru in fair weather.

Melrose 1878 Barque 287     One death. Sept.  Laden with coal went ashore at Waimataitai Spit.
Pelican 1879 top sail schooner 74 Manning River, NSW Munro All landed safely.

Prince Consort


Schooner 35 Matata in 1863 Ritchie

When lying at anchor at Timaru on 20 Dec. She dragged her anchor and became a wreck.

Princess Alice


Brig 267 Pallion County Durham in 1862 J.S. Brownell

Dragged her anchors at Timaru on 9th May. No lives were lost in the accident.

Susan Jane


Barque 181        

Wrecked in Timaru Harbour on 23rd May when anchors dragged



Ketch 32   Charles McLean

Wrecked at Timaru when her cables parted on 27th August

William Miskin


Steamer 115 Kingston upon Hull in UK in 1852 Bain

Went ashore at Timaru on 4th February. One drowned.

17 Dec. 1973: 11-metre trawler       Sinks in the Port of Timaru after being crushed against the wharf by a bulk carrier.

To put it into nautical terms, the captain has a rough passage ahead of him. The captain has absolute authority and absolute accountability.

Reference: NZGS file ANZSHIPS
Papers Past Images online.

Star Monday 24 May 1869
Wreck of the Barque 'Collingwood' at Timaru

The fine barque, commandeered by Captain John Lewis, is a wreck at Timaru. This vessel cleared customs on the 10th inst., with a cargo of 1900 bags wheat, shipped by Messrs Cox and Baber; she sailed for Timaru to complete her loading. The Port Officer received a telegram this morning to the following effect; "Collingwood ashore on the beach; all lives saved by the rocket apparatus. Mills badly burnt by rockets. Susan Jane in great danger of going ashore.

Star 25 May 1869
Timaru May 24, 5.30 p.m.
The barques Collingwood and Susan Jane came ashore to-day. The Twilight is still riding safely in the roadstead.  The cause of the wreck of the two barques is thought to be through attempting to put to sea last night, with scarcely any wind, and a heavy sea in shore.  The gradually drifted in shore, and the Collingwood was beached about 4 o'clock this morning.  The  Susan Jane put down anchors when in the breakers, and drifted until two o'clock to-day, when she beached.  The life-boat put off to answer a signal of distress from the Twilight.  She made several unsuccessful efforts to leave the beach, and at length got away with six men in her.  She got near a reef, when heavy breakers upset the boat, all the men being thrown into the water, one man was drowned.

Finding of Court of Inquiry 
A casualty of the sea. No one to blame.

Star May 27, 1869. The schooner Twilight arrived in Lyttelton harbour this morning from Timaru.
    Life-Boat Service, Timaru
Subscription lists have been opened in Lyttelton, for the wife and children (4) of Duncan Cameron, late coxswain of the pilot boat at Timaru, who was drowned on Monday, through the capsizing of the life-boat, whilst proceeding to render assistance to the crew of the schooner Twilight. The deceased was will known on the coast, more particularly at Taranaki. Subscriptions will be thankfully received by Captain Gibson, Port Officer; or at the Banks and Custom House.

The Star Monday 24 December 1877
Wreck of the 'Craig Ellachie' at Timaru

On Friday night and Saturday morning last it blew quite a violent south-east gale at Timaru, and the roadstead was running unusually high, causing the three vessels lying at anchor to labour very heavily. At six o'clock on Saturday morning the Harbour-master noticed that they were all dragging their anchors more or less, and as the gale blew dead in-shore and was still freshening, serious consequences were looked for. All went well till about 7 o'clock, enormous rollers kept breaking in threatened every minute to swamp them. An unusually sea struck the brig Craig Ellachie, and she parted her cable and drifted helplessly on to the rocks about four chains north of the Government Landing Service. When the harbour-master observed the accident he at once fired the signal gun for the Rocket Brigade to turn out, and they mustered promptly and repaired to the scene of the wreck with their apparatus to get the crew ashore. They were not long getting a line on board and fixing their apparatus, and in a very short time Capt. Meredith, his crew, and Mrs Meredith, were got safely ashore. The vessel is now lying high up on a sort of flat table rock close to the shingle beach, and has sustained no damage whatever, but it is unlikely that she will be got off. She is owned by Messrs. E. and J. Smith, coal merchants, Timaru, who value her at 2500 pounds. The hull is insured in the New Zealand office for 1000 pounds and in the Union for 300 pounds, so the owners are likely to lose about 1200 pounds by the wreck. the vessel has about 100 tons of coal in her out of 340 she brought from Newcastle ten days ago. She has been engaged in the coal trade between Newcastle and Timaru for some time, and has lade some splendid trips. When the tide went down on Saturday afternoon the crew were engaged bringing their clothing and movables ashore, and the vessel was lying almost high and dry. At noon Saturday the gale was still blowing fresh, and the schooner Kate McGregor had dragged her anchor to within two chains of the beach, and it was feared that she would share the fate of the Craig Ellachie. The three-masted schooner Anne Bow was weathering it splendidly, and looked as if she was likely to successfully defy the south-east burster and the unusually heavy sea that it brought with it.
    A telegram from Timaru, sent yesterday afternoon says; The Craig Ellachie is still sound, but has shifted her position slightly. The other two vessels weathered the gale splendidly. The weather is calm and brought, and the sea smooth. 

A broadside view of a small steam and sailing ship, the  Annie Bow, Timaru. 1879?
Haylock, Arthur Lagden 1860-1948 : Reference Number: E-060-2-010

The 'Annie Bow' was a barquentine of 250 tons, built at Garmouth, Scotland in 1869. In the 1880s it was owned by Alexander White of Timaru, and operated as a cargo ship between Timaru and Australia. It was later used as a coal hulk and sank alongside King's Pier, Hobart, on 22 March 1924. The vessel was subsequently blown up with explosives.

HAYLOCK, Arthur Lagden 1860�1948
Born Akaroa, son of Charles Lagden Haylock who arrived in New Zealand on the Monarch 1850. On 19 September 1868 George Frederick Wascoe married Sarah Haylock, widow of Charles Lagden Haylock. He was transferred to Christchurch and then Wellington. After his retirement he was active in the Anglican Church Men's Society and maintained his interest in compiling records of maritime events. He died in 1948. He was only child of Charles Lagden Haylock's second marriage. Arthur had 4 half brothers from a former marriage of C.L.; Peter, Charles, George and Harry. In 1877 Arthur entered the Government Service as a cadet, and was posted to the Land Office at Timaru, was a government draughtsman. His great interest in ships and the sea led him to join the Timaru Rocket Brigade, a group of volunteers which watched over vessels anchored in the roadstead, and made a hobby of recording wrecks. He was involved in the attempts to save the "City of Perth" and the "Ben Venue" in May 1882. His paintings and photographs of wrecks were presented to the Timaru Historical Society. Album compiled by Arthur Lagden Haylock, containing views of Lyttelton, Ganymede, and City of Perth and Benvenue stranded at Timaru in May 1882. .. The sail and steam ship Chile lying at anchor off Timaru, with a rowboat approaching her. Created by: Haylock, Arthur Lagden, 1860-1948 (as the artist) He signed his work A.L.H.

The Star May 8th 1875 Oamaru 
Heavy Weather - 'Cyrene' & 'Princess Alice' wrecked

All vessels were sent to sea at 4 a.m. The Elderslie fouled the Young Dick and stranded. At Timaru eight vessels had to leave the roadstead this morning at daylight on account of the heavy weather. A barque and a brig are still riding it out, and cannot get to sea with this wind.

The Star May 10th 1875 
Wrecks at Oamaru and Timaru

On Saturday afternoon the 3 masted schooner Elderslie went ashore at Oamaru. A total wreck. Yesterday at Timaru, the brig Princess Alice went to the rocks, at 6.30 a.m., and the barque Cyrene, at 10.30. a.m. where they also will be total wrecks. No lives were lost in either case.
    The barque Cyrene and brig Princess Alice were owned by Capt. Richard Wood, of Lyttelton, and Mr C.W. Turner, of Christchurch. The Cyrene recently arrived from San Francisco with railway sleepers, only a portion of which had been discharged. The Princess Alice had not quite discharges her cargo of coal from Newcastle, but had already taken onboard some eight hundred sacks of wheat from Messrs. Cunningham and Co., who had chartered her for Sydney to load with grain. By these wrecks the colonial Insurance Companies are large loosers. The Cyrene and Princess Alice were both insured with the New Zealand Insurance Company, the former for 4500 pounds and the latter 2000 pounds. The cargo and freight from America, of the Cyrene were insured with London Lloyds for 5000 pounds, a greater part of which they will have to pay through the wreck of the vessel. The Cyrene went on the beach half a cable's length south of Strathallan Street, Timaru.

Timaru Herald
Monday 10 April 1900 pg4
Wreckage of 1875
One day last week Mr Stumbles rooted up with the Priestman grab from the sea bottom at the T wharf, a heavy piece of wreckage about 10ft square, of heavy timbers, being of pine with wood and iron fastenings, part of the side of a vessel, for there are pieces of chain-plates fast to it. It was a fragment of the barque Cyrene, wrecked on Sunday, May 9th, 1875, in the company in misfortune with the brig Princess Alice. The Princess Alice was an English built brig of 268 tons, she had on board 40 tons of coal, undischarged cargo, and 860 sacks of wheat just shipped. The Cyrene was an American built barque of 527 tons, arrived on April 21st from San Francisco with 18,000 sleepers for the Government railway then being constructed to Temuka. Both vessels belonged to Captain R. Wood and Mr C.W. Turner, of Christchurch. The hulls and the sleepers remaining on the Cyrene were sold at auction to Mr H. Cain, the Princes Alice hull for 50 pounds, the Cyrene's for 275 pounds, and the sleepers remaining for 950 pounds. Every sleeper was saved, and from these alone Captain Cain must have netted a large profit on the transaction. The hull of the Princess Alice was subsequently purchased by the owners of the Government Landing Service and broken up to get it out of the way, as by blocking the travel of shingle- the wreck must have lain just about the root of the breakwater - the beach on the north side was scoured away, the Strathallan street sewer damaged, and the Landing service hampered in working and threatened with destruction. The Cyrene was broken up for firewood and some of them sank in the boat channel from the Government Landing Service, where they caused inconvenience by fouling the boat lines, and from time to time these pieces were fished for and dragged out of the way.

Daily Southern Cross, 13 May 1875, Page 2
At Oamaru the 'Elderslie' bilged and canted over, deck to the sea, on the rocks, midway between the landing place and the breakwater. She will be a complete wreck. A telegram from Timaru states that the brigs 'Princess Alice' and 'Cyrene' went ashore on the rocks, where they are likely to become total wrecks. No lives were lost in either case. The colonial insurance companies are heavy losers. The 'Cyrene' and 'Princess Alice ' were both insured with the New Zealand Insurance Company, the former for 4,500 pounds, and the latter for 2,000 pounds, but that company has largely re-insured with other colonial offices. The cargo and freight, from America, of the 'Cyrene' were insured with London Lloyd's for 5,000 pounds.
The; brig ' Princess Alice ' and barque ' Cyrene ' have been wrecked. The latter was on her voyage from San Francisco to Timaru. She is insured in the New Zealand Company's office for about 1,800 pounds. The hull, masts, spars, rigging, boats, ropes, Bails, and all the gear belonging to the wreck of the  Elderslie,' were sold in 17 lots for 302 pounds. The Elderslie, 293 tons, was built at Peterhead, Aberdeen in 1868 .

Star June 18 1868
Wreck of the brigantine 'Despatch' 

(From the Timaru Herald, June 17)
In our last issue we reported that the Despatch, a brigantine of 98 tons, Captain Driver, called in at this port on Friday morning for hay and water for livestock on board from the Chatham Islands. We were under the impression that the stores wanted were taken on board in the afternoon, and that the brigantine sailed for Dunedin late on Friday night. it would have been fortunate for her if she had, for soon after dark a heavy S.S.E. gale not in, with a high sea. Captain Driver had been on shore during the day, and went on board again between three and four o'clock in the afternoon. Soon after he got on board, finding the sea rising, he ordered the second anchor to be dropped, and made all snug for the night. Up to ten o'clock the vessel was riding very easily, and but an hour she was struck with a heavy sea, which partially filled the hold. All hands were immediately called, and set to work at the pumps. At eleven o'clock, the crew and passengers being all hard at work at the pumps, Captain Driver went into the galley to warm some coffee for them, when a tremendous sea struck the vessel, carrying the galley from its fastenings, and burying Captain Driver beneath. Two or three hands instantly act to work to tear away the debris, when they found their captain quire dead. He had evidently been struck on the head, either by the cooking stove or some of the heavy framework of the gallery, and killed instantaneously. The body was taken into the cabin, and some of the men resumed their work at the pumps. After the galley had gone, continuous heavy seas struck the unfortunate vessel, and she commenced shortly to drag her anchors. She dragged for some hours, and at 3 o'clock on Saturday morning too the beach about the centre of the Washdyke Lagoon, four miles north of Timaru. Soon after the vessel commenced to drag she also lost sight of the light on shore, and those on board could not tell her position. 
    It seems that Mr Morrison, who is acting as pilot and harbour-master temporarily, went to Captain Driver on Saturday afternoon, at the Royal Hotel, and asked if the mate of the Despatch could take the vessel to sea. Captain Driver at once said he thought not; and Morrison replied, "Then you must go on boar, as you have to leave tonight," Captain Driver jocularly remarked to one of the boatmen when going off to his vessel that he would rather come ashore than to leave without his hay and water. When the vessel was going before the wind, after the death of the captain, some of the crew refused to work, even at the pumps, and the ship was allowed to drift hopelessly ashore, The wind then was such that she could possibly have made one of the bays on the Peninsula. 
    The crew, eight in number, and two passengers (one of whom was Captain Boys, a brother of Mr Boys employed in the Provincial Government survey) got safely to land, as the vessel was thrown nearly high and dry to the beach. The shipwrecked men at once made for Mr Belfield's house, where they remained till after daylight. After leaving Mr Belfield's house, three of the crew took a boat a Washdyke, and crossed the lagoon to the scene of the wreck. Owing to the sea breaking heavily over it they were unable to search for the body of Captain Driver; but on Sunday they returned and found the body, and conveyed it to the Washdyke Hotel, where an inquest was held on it on Monday. Out of the livestock on board at the tome of the wreck, five of the cattle and one horse were found to have escaped on Saturday, and were at large on the beach, but on Sunday the horse was found dead. The brigantine now lies a complete wreck, bow on to sea, her port-side completely stove in, and the deck, excepting a small portion in the fore part of the vessel, carried away. The beach in the vicinity of the wreck presents a melachololy sight, as for some distance it is strewed with dead cattle and horses, spars and fragments of wreck.

Inquest - Timaru Herald, 17 June 1868, Page 2
Captain Driver

The Star May 3 1882
Loss of a Grain Ship 'Duke of  'Sutherland' in Timaru Harbour

"A few minutes before seven o'clock Captain Rowlands' felt his vessel quiver very severely. A few minutes later she came down on the ground with a crash."

A good deal of excitement was caused in Timaru to-night by the barque Duke of Sutherland making distress signals in the roadstead. Shortly after seven o'clock a gun was fired on board, and, after waiting about half an hour, two rockets were fired from the vessel, and blue lights were burned on deck as signals of distress. It was at first imagined that the vessel must have parted her moorings, but as she still remained at her anchorage such an idea was abandoned. The Rocket Brigade answered the signals by firing a gun from the lighthouse, and an attempt was made to launch the lifeboat, but the order was countermanded, as the sea was comparatively smooth. The captain and his crew came ashore in the ship's boat about nine o'clock, and reported that the vessel had sprung a leak and was filling with water, there being then fully six feet of water in her hold. The vessel is grain laden, and she had nearly completed her loading, and was expected to sail for London to-morrow with a full cargo.

The Duke of Sutherland, a clipper,  is a strongly built wooden vessel of 1047 tons register, built at Aberdeen in 1865, owned by Jacobs Brothers and Co., of London and was surveyed in 1877 and reclassed for eight years. Captain Rowland is her master. For many years past she had been running in the Australian trade.  The captain says the vessel was labouring in the trough of a heavy sea, and she bumped on the bottom. She is said to be drawing 20 feet of water, with about eight to ten feet of water under, the depth at low tide being about 30 feet. The statement about bumping could not be credited on shore, as the vessel is anchored out about 400 yards from the extreme seaward point of the breakwater, and there are several large vessels anchored close to her. There is a heavy ground swell in the roadstead, but the sea is not rough, as instanced by the fact that several whaleboats have been rowed out to the vessel during the evening. It is far more likely that, being an old wooden vessel and heavily laden, she sprang some timbers by labouring in the trough of the sea. The captain, accompanied by the Harbour Master, has now returned to the ship, and it is said that she is a hopeless wreck, and likely to go down at her anchors before mooring, but until the Harbour Master comes on shore no real authentic information can be gained. The sailors have taken their traps ashore, and say the vessel is doomed.

The vessel is a hopeless wreck. She has not altogether sunk, being built of wood, and an attempt is now being made to drift her to the northward out of the way of the other vessel, but it is doubtful whether it will be successful. She has about 1000 tons of grain in her, 10, 550 sacks of wheat, shipped by the New Zealand Grain Agency and Mercantile Company. The vessel and cargo are fully insured by Adelaide offices.

The Star May 4 1882
May 3. Captain Rowland's and the Harbour Master proceeded on board again about eleven o'clock last night, and succeeded, with a number of men, in keeping her afloat till four o'clock this morning, when she was hauled clear of the other vessels, and the cable slipped, and she was carried down towards Caroline Bay, where she broke up this afternoon. A court of Inquiry will be held tomorrow afternoon.

The barque, Duke of Sutherland, was allowed to drift a few hundred yards to the north, and about noon to-day she canted over on her side, and all her deck fittings where washed away. She disappeared altogether tonight. The hull and cargo are advertised for sale tomorrow, but it strikes me the auctioneer will have to work largely on his imagination in deciding where the vessel actually is.

The brig 'Fairy Queen' & the 'Wanderer' beached

The Star, Thursday, August 28, 1873
Aug, 27. Timaru

It is blowing a heavy south-east gale. The brig Fairy Queen has parted her anchor, and the schooner Duke of Edinburgh has been beached. The crew were saved on a rope. The vessel will probably be got off. The Fairy Queen has parted one anchor, but is holding well. The brig Silver Lining and ketch Wanderer are holding well.

The Star, Thursday, August 28, 1873
Aug, 28. Timaru
After dark last night, the brig Fairy Queen parted her second anchor and came ashore. She struck the rocks and bumped a big hole through her hull. A rocket line was thrown over the vessel, and the crew of nine men were landed quickly. When the last man left the vessel, the mainmast went over the side of the brig. She then slewed off the rocks and was washed up on the beach. The galley fire, or a lamp, capsized and set fire to the vessel, but the waves washing over prevented it from spreading.
    After nine o'clock, the ketch Wanderer broke adrift and rapidly headed inshore, and struck full against the Fairy Queen. The ketch's mast went by the board; afterwards she slewed off, and was washed up on the beach to the northward. The crew, of three men, were intimately saved by jumping into the surf.
    The wind dropped before eleven o'clock but the sea increased. At midnight, the brig Silver Lining was observed to be drifting shore wards, but a land wind suddenly springing up, took her to sea. 
    The Duke of Edinburgh's
[schooner 77 tons] cargo of timber is being now discharged. Such bad weather has not been known for a long time.

[The Duke of Edinburgh, built at Lyttelton, in 1873 carried 39,956 feet of timber from Auckland for the Temuka bridge.  She was sold at auction for 205 pounds, refloated from the beach and named the Euphrosyne.] Reference: Gillespie 

[The Euphrosyne sailed from Dunedin on March 14th 1875 for Oamaru and was never seen again. Capt. Spence. Crew of six all lost. Reference: NZ Wrecks]

The Late Wrecks at Timaru 10th Sept. 1873
The schooner Duke of Edinburgh was successfully launched on Saturday morning. by means of an anchor and cable run out into the roadstead, the head of the vessel was hauled seaward on Friday at noon, and on Saturday at about 2 a.m., the tide being high and the sea calm, she was floated off into deep water. Although the hour was an unseasonable one, a considerable number of persons assembled to witness the launching. The vessel was towed to a safe anchorage, and placed in charge of the mate of the Silver Lining. On Sunday a new rudder, built by Mr Green's carpenter on the previous day, was fixed in position, the ballast having been previously shifted to the nose of the vessel to facilitate the work. The schooner will sail for Lyttelton as soon as possible, and will either be thoroughly repaired there or at some other suitable harbour. It is said that the purchaser of the vessel has made a lucky speculation - Timaru Herald, Sept. 8.

The Star  August 30 1873 page 3
(From the Timaru Herald)

Last Wednesday three vessels were driven ashore during a strong-easterly gale, and one of the number totally wrecked. Luckily no lives were lost, the seamen - eighteen in all -being safely rescued, some being saved by the rocket apparatus, others by the assistance of a number of willing hands on shore. The vessels in the road at the time of the catastrophe were four in number - the brigs Silver Lining and Fairy Queen, the three-masted schooner Duke of Edinburgh, and the ketch Wanderer.
    The Silver Lining, brig, owned by Mr Murnin of Sydney, 228 tons, Leisher, master, arrived at Timaru on August 14 from Newcastle, having on board a cargo of piles, maize, coals &c., about a third portion of which had been unloaded by Tuesday last. This was the only vessel which escaped out of four. 
    The Fairy Queen, brig 214 tons, Spence, master, was owned by Messrs Nipper and See, commission agents, Melbourne and Sydney, and was one of the finest vessels of the kind with the exception perhaps of the Prospero, that has ever visited this port. She was an Aberdeen clipper, nearly new, and was well found in every respect. She arrived in the roadstead on August 12 from Newcastle, with a cargo of 345 tons of coal, consigned to Mr Henry Green, the whole of which with the exception of twenty tons had been discharged before Saturday last.
    The Duke of Edinburgh, three-masted schooner, 77 tons, Dunn, master, is owned by Messrs Combs and Daldy, of Auckland. The vessel built in 1868, for a steamer, and used as such in the Auckland trade until recently, when she was converted to a sailing vessel, making a smart, tidy-looking craft. She arrived here on Tuesday last from Auckland, with a cargo of 36,956 feet oft of timber for use in the Temuka bridge. Just before anchoring she collided with the brig Silver Lining, and carried away her jibboom.
    On Wednesday, the Wanderer, ketch, 29 tons, McLean, master, and owned by the mate Ned Bradley, arrived here on August 21, with a cargo of forty-nine tons of coal. She finished unloading on Monday last, and took in on the same day 203 bags of wheat belonging to Mr H. Green, that being her complement of cargo on board at the time she was wrecked.
    The gale commenced during the night, and blew steadily in till Wednesday morning. The sea continued to increase, Wednesday, all four were pitching heavily. About twenty minutes after one, when the gun at the flagstaff, where Capt. Mills, the harbour master, was keeping a sharp look-out, announced something was wrong. The brig Fairy Queen had parted her cable, and was drifting in towards the reefs off Sea View Villa. The signal had the effect of attracting a large number of people to the beach.  In addition to the rocket-apparatus being placed in readiness to be conveyed to any place it might be needed, the lifeboat crew were ordered to be ready for action. After the parting of the Fairy Queen's cable another anchor was dropped from the brig. There was about a length between her and the reef. 
    At 3.15 p.m. , the Duke of Edinburgh, parted and drifted towards shore, passing close to the ketch Wanderer. When about a chain from the shore, at the point where the remains of the old breakwater lay, and where a rocky reef juts out, the schooner's jib's were hauled up, and the vessel steered in a southerly direction, everybody hoped endeavouring to lay up to the wind and stand to sea but the rest of the sailed were seen to be clewed up, and the vessel steered towards the shore, and beached immediately in front of the Government Landing Service shed, where she swung round, her stem pointing towards the south.  A rope was thrown on board from the shore. The cradle was then set to work, and five of the seamen were taken off in a very short time. The sea was occasionally making a clean breach over her. A hawser was then got on board the vessel, fastened securely to some piles on shore. Ropes were attached to the masts and attempts were made to cant the vessel towards the shore in order that the breakers might not have such an injurious effect upon her. The attempt was fruitless, as was also the endeavour to haul by means of the Landing Service engine, the stern of the vessel up the beach. Several articles including the chronometer were taken ashore. The injured done to the schooner is not apparently great, the rudder having carried away, and the copper stripped partially off her port side.  The tide left her high and dry.  
    No sooner did darkness set in than both wind and sea spring up stronger than ever.  About 7 o'clock the Fairy Queen had broken loose.
A blue light was burned on shore indicating a good position to strike the beach. Unfortunately, she went too far to the northward, and struck on a rocky reef, about four chains above where the Duke of Edinburgh was lying, the sea rushing clean over her. A small fire was immediately lighted, and the apparatus fixed, by which a rope was dropped fairly between the vessel's masts. Just after this a barrel of pitch was procured, and lighted on the rocks a little way up the cliffs. No time was lost getting the cradle to work again, and one by one the seamen (nine in all) were conveyed to shore amid cheers of the crowd, the mate and captain coming last. From the time the vessel broke away till the men were rescued very little over half an hour has elapsed. The crew were only just got off in time, for a few moments after the last had been pulled ashore an enormous roller struck the vessel and caused the mainmast to go by the board, at the same time forging the vessel (which had been lying head on), broadside on to the rocks, the deck canting towards the shore. At about ten minutes to eight o'clock the after part of the vessel's bottom had been stove in. Shortly after this the galley was observed to be on fire.
    A cry was raised that there was another vessel ashore, which proved to be the ketch Wanderer. The rocket apparatus was again got ready. The vessel struck mid way between the Duke of Edinburgh and the Fairy Queen, but was immediately driven off again and driven heavily against the brig, her mainmast at the same time going by the board. Suddenly, a heavy breaker tumbled in, and the vessel was carried to the stem of the brig, her bow running on to the beach with the stern to seaward. The seamen, three in number - master, mate, and another - were observed clinging to the bowsprit; a line of men on shore now joined hands, and as each man jumped off he was conveyed ashore, all being very much exhausted. The vessel shortly after this was again carried away northward by a heavy roller, and deposited on the beach about a chain and a half from the Fairy Queen. When the tide had left the shore sufficiently to get on board the ketch's dingy and the clothes of the sailors were fetched ashore. 
    Fears for the brig Silver Lining were felt, more especially as it was known that the captain's wife and two children were on board. At about eleven o'clock the wind and rain suddenly ceased. Another bluelight was exhibited from the vessel, and this was answered by a gun from the lighthouse. Fortunately, just as she reached the outer breakers a land breeze sprang up and carried her away. 
    The Fairy Queen continued to burn throughout the night, burning a hole in the deck, a quantity of coal, and a portion of the rigging. Friday morning she was put up to auction by Mr R. Turnbull, and knocked down to Messrs Bradden and Shiers for 135 pounds. A 15 cwt anchor and 60 fathom cable, and a 10 cwt anchor and 30 fathom cable, as they lay bouyed in the harbour, fetched 9 pounds, the purchasers being Messrs Hill, Simpson, and Graham. The captain lost private effects to the value of 40 pounds. Most of the cargo was landed yesterday Duke of Edinburgh.
The Wander shifted four chains further northward with yesterday's morning's tide, and although injured slightly in her after part only about twenty bags of the wheat on her was injured. Later in the day 200 bags of wheat were got out, and sold by auction for 7s 9d per bag, Mr Cliff being the purchaser. The vessel will be sold at auction today. 
    The Duke of Edinburgh was valued at 1300 pounds, and is insured in the South British Insurance Company for 650 pounds. The Silver Lining is insured in the same office for 1000 pounds. The Fairy Queen is covered by a heavy insurance policy.

The Star, Wednesday, September 3 1873 page 3
The Wrecks at Timaru
The dismantling of the brig Fairy Queen was commenced Friday. Captain Gibson and Captain Scott held a survey on the schooner Duke of Edinburgh on Saturday, and drew up a report recommending that she should be abandoned to the underwriters. 
The ketch Wanderer, was bought at auction on Friday last by Mr H. Cain for 100 pounds. Preparations for launching her are to be made this morning. It is the intention of her owner to put her in thorough repair, and if this is found impracticable while floating, she will be beached near the Landing and Shipping Company's Service. The lessees of the Government Landing Service have demanded through their solicitor, compensation from the agent of the Duke of Edinburgh by reason of that vessel entirely blocking up the front of the Landing Service premises, and making working the boats impracticable. The brig Silver lining, whose cable was slipped when she left the roadstead during Wednesday night, returned to an anchorage on Saturday last. During the storm on Wednesday Captain Leisher was struck by the wheel, and had his shoulder out out, and one of the sailors received some injuries in the chest. The vessel was not damaged. Her cable and chain were picked up yesterday by a boat's crew from the Government Landing Service. - Timaru Herald, Sept. 1.

Otago Witness Sept. 6 1873 page 15
The hull and parts of the Fairy Queen were sold by auction to day for 144 pounds.

Otago Witness Sept. 6 1873 page 15
Fairy Queen and Duke of Edinburgh
September 3
The Duke of Edinburgh has been sold by auction. The hull and rigging fetched 205 pounds, and the sundries 45 pounds. The vessel would have brought more had not the purchaser become liable to the lessees of the Government landing service for damages by blocking up the passage of boats.

Oamaru, Aug. 28. 1873
Two coal-laden vessels, just in from Newcastle, were wrecked last night- the Emile, owners, Messrs. Grace and McIntosh, of this port, and the Scotsman, of Newcastle. The former was insured for �1200, and the latter partly insured. All lives saved by the Rocket Brigade, under the direction of Captain Sewell. Both vessels have gone to pieces.

Otago Witness Sept. 6 1873 page 15
Oamaru, Aug. 28. 1873

The Emille was insured for 1300pounds. The wreck of the Scotsman was sold this afternoon for 47 pounds 10s, and the cargo for 48 pounds. 

The Star April 20th 1877 
Wreck of the 'Isabella Ridley' at Timaru  April 19 1877

The barque Isabella Ridley came ashore at 3 o'clock, right in front of the Government landing services. She had been dragging her anchors all day, and at last both cables parted. The captain made all sail, and tried to beach her, but had no wind. He then stowed his canvas, and headed for the beach, flying a signal of distress. The rocket crew had been summoned by a gun from the Harbour master's Station, and as soon as the barque beached they threw a rocket through the foresail, setting it on fire for a time. The line held, and the crew of 10 were soon safely landed. The barque crushed her timbers on the rocks, and threatened to capsize when she first struck. She is now standing stiffly and the seas do not seem to be doing her any harm. About two thousand people witnessed the whole affair. It was a lovely, calm, sunny day, with a tremendous sea. The Isabella Ridley arrived here from Newcastle in March 28, and has two thousand sacks of grain on board. The cargo now on board is insured by the South British. The topsail schooner Rosannah Rose has drifted in Caroline Bay, and is in great danger. The French barque Yvonne is in trim for a beat out, and is labouring heavily. The schooner Annie, ketch Young Dick, brigantine Mary King, and the fore-aft schooner Onward are riding well to their cables, though much strained. The sea is increasing, and lulling at intervals, and the wind is dying away altogether.

The brig 'Layard'

The Star Wednesday June 8 & 9 1870
The brig Layard, Captain Worledge, lying at anchor off Timaru, went ashore this morning between Mr Le Cren's office and the Landing-shed. All nine hands were saved by the rocket apparatus. A very heavy sea was running, and there was no chance of getting her off. The brig arrived from Newcastle on Friday with 250 tons coal, but could not land her cargo on account of the heavy weather. Yesterday afternoon her cable parted, but a second anchor being let go she was brought up. About 5 a.m. today the cable parted again and the brig drifted ashore at 10 a.m. She now lies fifty yards from shore. The vessel has been condemned, and with her cargo was sold at suction for 230 pounds 10s. Both ship and cargo are believed to be well insured by Australian offices. The Layard was owned by Pigott Brothers, Melbourne and was cosigned to Captain Cain.

Daily Southern Cross, 18 June 1870, Page 4
 The wreck of the brig Layard, Captain Worledge, took place this morning, about 500 yards north of the Government flagstaff. The Layard was a British vessel, built at Poole, Dorsetshire, in the year 1856 or 1857, and owned by Pigott Brothers, of Melbourne  Captain Worledge being part owner. She was a vessel of 175 tons. The Layard sailed from Newcastle on the 17th of May, with a cargo of 262 tons of coal, and arrived here on Friday last. Beyond being boarded by the pilot, she had no communication with the shore, as a nasty sea was running the whole of the time, with no wind. On Monday the sea increased in violence, but little apprehension was entertained of the Layard, as she appeared to be riding with perfect ease at her anchors. On Tuesday the sea showed no sign of going down, and it was even higher than the previous day. The brig was then lying in her original berth. At that time she was riding with her port-bower anchor, with about 70 fathoms of cable...

The time occupied in landing the nine persons on board was only nine and a-half minutes, showing how  well the life-saying apparatus was worked. The crew consisted of Captain Worledge ; D Nicholson, mate; John Samelon, second mate ; Alick Purdy, A.B. ; H. Schaman, A.B. ; John Attwater, A.B. ; Patrick Long, A.B. ; Francis Davenport, cook and steward ; and William Quirk, apprentice. Excepting a chronometer brought on shore by the captain, every thing was left the vessel, and the crew came on land with but the clothes they wore.

The vessel, as she lies on the beach, together with the cargo, was first put up. The bidding commenced at 100 pounds, and the lot was finally knocked down to Captain Cain for 220 pounds. The anchors and chains were also sold to the same purchaser for 10 pounds 10s.

The Inquiry. The official inquiry into the cause of the wreck was held by C. E. Cooper, Esq., Sub-Collector of Customs, Timaru, and Captain Scott, Nautical Assessor, at the Custom-house, yesterday at eleven a m. After evidence had been adduced, the Court returned Captain Worledge his certificate, and remarked that the loss of the brig Layard was purely accidental.

Evening Post, 10 September 1873, Page 2
A telegram states the Lady of the Lake sprung a leak off Oamaru, and could not return. She therefore made for Timaru. The crew were baling and pumping all night, and the water got near to the fires. To save her from sinking, she was run on the beach opposite to the South Landing Service. She bumped on the rocks coming in, but it is not known whether or not she is injured.

The schooner 'Prince Consort'

Oamaru Times December 25th 1866
The schooner Prince Consort, 35 tons, Ritchie, master, was totally wrecked in the Timaru Roadstead on Thursday last, during a severe gale from the north-east. She was ballasted with 16 tons of loose single, which soon caused a "list" to one side, and a heavy broadside sea eventually put her hopelessly on her beam ends. Three men were on board, and two of them, with the efficient aid rendered by the Alexandra life-boat, were fortunately rescued. Mr Bertram of the H.M. Customs, gallantly rescued the third man, who was holding on to a spar amid the kelp. The Prince Consort soon afterwards drifted on to the rocks and became a complete wreck. She was insured in the New Zealand Insurances Offices.

Timaru Herald Friday 12 Nov. 1875 page 2
The Glimpse, ketch rigged, 38 tons register, and coppered, well-known at this port, was wrecked on Monday last off the Peninsula. The Captain's report. On Monday afternoon, we were about twenty miles to the south of Akaroa Heads, when the wind veered round to the south-west, with every appearance of a gale. We ran in towards the Peninsula, but for some time, owing to the mist, we could not distinguish the outline of the coast. The wind increased very much... The squall followed her round and filled the sails so that she went over on her broadside. The Thames, ketch, fortunately, was coming up behind us, and succeeding in getting us off in safety. The ketch is lying on her broadside on a lot of boulders, a little northward of the Maori Kaik; she seems to be grinding away. The timber is consigned to Messrs Jackson and Gibson, of Timaru. 

Shipwrecks at Timaru
From the Timaru Herald, September 3rd 1878 
& Otago Witness September 7 1878 page 11

On Sunday only two men met their deaths. One was a sailor named Arthur Connolly, or "Peter," belonging to the barque Melrose, and the other Captain Evans of the ketch Palmerston. The former was washed overboard while attempting to seize a rocket line at the time the barque grounded. His body was picked up yesterday afternoon, floating in the surf near the scene of the disaster, and conveyed to the Melville Hotel. Connolly was an Irishman of about 23 years of age, was a single man and had shipped in the Melrose at Newcastle, just prior to her leaving for Timaru. Captain Evans, of the Palmerston, was drowned, while attempting to reach the Melrose after the latter vessel struck his vessel. His body was seen floating in front of the Government Landing Service late on Sunday evening. Two of the Palmerton's crew were picked up by the Melrose and saved. The brigantine Lapwing was found to be uninjured with the exception of the false keel knocked away and portions of her copper stripped. The ketch Glimpse lies high and dry at the entrance of Hikari Creek (next to Whale's Creek), and her hull is whole and sound. 
    The Melrose was owned partly by Catley of Sydney, partly by Captain Kenney, and partly by other persons. The only insurance on her hull is 350 in the South British Company. 
    The ketch Fanny, was built at Port Chalmers in 1872, and was owned by Messes Guthrie and Larach's Woodware Factory Company. Her hull was insured in the New Zealand Insurance Company for �500.
    The Lapwing, Dunsford, brigantine, 228 tons, was built at Prince Edward Island in 1876, and was brought over to Auckland by her present captain. She is owned by Mr G.W. Owen of Auckland.
    The ketch Palmerston, the only one out of the five vessels which were in the roadstead on Sunday morning which is still afloat, was built in Port Chalmers in 1874, and her owners were her late captain (Evans), and Captain Brehner of Port Chalmers. 
    The Glimpse was built in Whangarei in 1864 and belongs to Mr Fraser of Dunedin and is fully insured.

Lapwing, 75471. Brigantine, 231.02 tons. 114.5 x 24.6 x 12.95 ft.; 
Built at Murray Harbour, Prince Edward Island, 1876, by Davies and McFadyen. 
Registered No.79/1876, (30/xi/76), Port of Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. (I.R.) 
Registered No. 8/1878, (22/iii/78), Port of Auckland. 
Deck - house added in 1879, 243.32 tons. 
Alt. In 1885: 243.32//231.90 tons. 
Min. Cas.: 1/ix/1878, Std. Timaru, William Anderson. 
Min. Cas.: 23/iv/1884, L/1, Tasman Sea, Theodore Thomas Watts. 
Vessel condemned and sold by public auction at Monte Video, 3/vi/1886. 
Ownerships: Pt.2, pp. 37,39,89,104,110,124,153. From the Watt List.

Timaru Herald, 4 September 1878, Page 3
An inquest was held yesterday afternoon at the Melville Hotel, Timaru. before B. Woollcombe, Esq., Conner, and a jury, touching the death, on Sunday last, of a sailor of the late barque Melrose, named Arthur Connolly, alias Arthur Waters. The following jury were sworn . � John Campbell, F. Scott, J. Allpress, M. Mullin, J. Macpherson, Thos. F. Dillion. J. Craigie, J. Cotton, J. Whitttker, C. Dodson, F. Buchanan, A. Bennett, J. Herman, R. S. Cook. Mr Allpress was chosen foreman. The following evidence was taken :  James Howie : I was chief mate of the barque Melrose. We were lying at anchor in the roadstead of Timaru on Sunday last. At half-past 11 am. the barque parted her cables, and she was driven ashore by the heavy sea. She struck about 12 o'clock. In half an hour after she struck she became a total wreak, and the deceased was drowned in endeavoring to get ashore. He was on a piece of the wreck. I saw him leaving the wreck, and when I reached shore I found that he was missing. On Monday discovered him in the surf near where we came ashore. I believe the name by which he was entered on the articles of the ship, was Arthur Waters, but he told me his name was Connolly. He was an able seaman, and about 23 years old. He was an Irishman. He was not married. If the cables were twice stronger I think they would not have held her. The vessel was about 20 years old. All the rest of the crew were saved. She left Newcastle. The article of the vessel having been produced, the deceased's name appeared therein, as Arthur Waters, a native of Liverpool. Peter Pender : I am an Inspector of Police, stationed at Timaru. I saw the barque Melrose leave her anchorage last Sunday. The sea was the roughest I ever saw. I went round with the Rocket Brigade to where she grounded. The Rocket Brigade threw a line over, but the men on board did not seen to understand how to work it, and before they had put it in order, the rigging gave way. In less than half an-hour the vessel smashed up like a match-box. The whole of the men were amongst the wreckage'. struggling for their lives. The vessel broke up about 40 or 50 yards from the shore. The Rocket Brigade threw a second line, but it was useless. All the crew were saved except on. Several jurors were desirous to hear evidence as to the seaworthiness of the vessel. Some said that the vessel was rotten, others said that they heard she was condemned as unseaworthy three years ago, but the Coroner held that such an inquiry was not within their province, and that a Court of Inquiry would be held to elicit the information. After some further conversation, the jury returned a verdict to the effect that the decease came by his death by being accidentally drowned.

Timaru Herald, 25 November 1879, Page 2
An official inquiry into the loss of the schooner John Watson will be held at eleven o'clock this morning, at the Custom House. The vessel, "as she now lies, about twenty miles from Timaru," her long boat, anchor and chains, will be offend for sale by Meesrs Jonas, Hart, and Wildie, at two o'clock this afternoon.

Timaru Herald Monday 1st October 1900
Loss of the Glencairn
Christchurch Sept. 29
The constable at Little River telegraphs this morning that a schooner was ashore at Ninety Mile beach, nine miles from Little River. There are six men on board. A trap has left Birdlings' Flat with help.

Christchurch Sept. 30
A fierce southerly gale with heavy rain set in on Friday night. The wind still continues.
At 2 a.m. on Saturday the schooner Glencairn, bound from Havelock to Timaru with timber, went ashore on the Ninety Mile beach, 16 miles from Little River. All hands got ashore, but with difficulty. The vessel, which was of 60 tons and owned by Mr John Jackson, Timaru, was broken up and the beach strewn with wreckage. Captain Watchlin is staying in the vicinity of the wreck and the crew were taken in by Messrs Price Brothers. Mr Jackson informs us that he had no insurance on vessel or cargo. The loss to him is a serious one.

Christchurch Oct 1. (TH Oct. 2nd)
The schooner Glencairn was valued at 750. Her cargo was valued at 160. The after part of the vessel is gone. but there is a large quantity of timber still in the forepart, which is lying at high water mark. The greater part of the wreck is drifting towards the Peninsula, but a large quantity is on the beach near Lake Forsyth.

Timaru Herald  9 October 1900 page 3
At the Nautical Inquiry into the wreck of the schooner Glencairn. Captain Watchlin was charged with having failed to carry the number of certified seaman required by the Shipping and Seamens Act. He had been unable to obtain an A.B. in Wanganui, and so had shipped two boys instead. Fined 1 pound. and Court costs. He had lost everything he had on board the vessel, and had not even a pair of boots. The Magistrate then reduced the fine to 1s without costs. 
    Oct. 11 1900 TH  This week "Weekly Press" has a couple of photographs of the wreck of the Glencairn - the last we shall see, probably, of the unlucky Timaru schooner.

May 4 Timaru Herald 1881
Wreck of the Amaranth. Colin Campbell master of the schooner Amaranth, of Dunedin, belonging to Guthrie and Larnach. Capt. holds a master's certificate.

The Star Wednesday 4 May 1881 page 2
Loss of the Amaranth at Timaru.

Otago Witness Saturday June 18 1881 page 14
Wreck of the brig Pakeha on Ninety Mile Beach, on Saturday morning, 6.3-. a.m. about two miles from the mouth of Lake Ellesmere, bound for Dunedin from Kaipara with a cargo of timber, cosigned to the owner of the vessel, Mr Finlay, timber merchant, of Dunedin. Only one man being rescued from a watery grave. Captain Brewer, left Kaipara on Wednesday, 1st June. Captain Brewer put the vessel before the wind, his intention to seek shelter under Banks Peninsula. Out of the eight hands on board, seven have met with fate which befalls so many of those who "go down to the sea in ships." The only survivor - Christian Petersen, seaman -when he was washed overboard, managed to get hold of a floating spar, to which he clung until it drifted ashore. He was only one of the crew who could not swim. A fisherman found him lying on the beach. The place where the Pakeha came ashore is the same exactly as that where, some two years and four months ago the schooner Clyde was beached during a heavy gale. The Pakeha is a total wreck.

Pakeha, 46849. Brig, 173.4 tons. 91 x 22.8 x 11.7 ft.; 
Built at New Glasgow, Prince Edward Island, in 1863, by Robert Orr. 
Registered No. 84/1863, Port of New Glasgow, Prince Edward Island. (I.R.) 
Registered No. 23/1864, (9/vi/64), Port of Auckland. 
Registered No. 35/1870, Port of Sydney, N.S.W. 
Vessel totally wrecked off Lake Ellesmere, N.Z., on 11/vi/1881. Master: Daniel Brewer (drowned). 
Ownerships: Pt.2, pp. 61,62,86,96,157. From the Watt list.

S.S. Bruce

Timaru Harbour 1885

Scott, R.   Inquiry Into Wrecks; Report on the Casualty Which Happened to the Steam Vessel Maori. Wgtn: [in] NZ Gazette, 1870. 2pp. 34.5cm. Reports of the accident at Timaru occupy three columns. Excessive risk taken by Capt James Malcolm: two lives were lost "through the boat being allowed to get broadside on to the sea."

Timaru Herald Monday June 30 1879
Two Wrecks.

The brigantine Akbar was riding almost ahead of the Clan Campbell, parted her anchor first and drifted. Another anchor was let go. The terrible wind and sea forced her towards Washdyke. Her crew: Captain Watts, J. Bynham (the mate), a passenger named John Wright, Ned the boatswain, a boy named James, the cook (the former was one of the men saved from the Melrose in September last year), and Charles Duhlim, D. Bradley, R. Humphreys, and a Frenchman named James Waglett, able seaman. Mrs Watts, the wife of the Captain was on board. They had been married some seven or eight months and were both young in years. The Captain was carried overboard and never seen again. She struck a mile and a half beyond Dashing Rocks. The buoy was given to Mrs Watts. Six men got ashore and made for Mr Belfield's house.
The Akbar was an American brigantine, built some six years ago and was the sole property of the Captain. She was not insured. She arrived here on Monday last from Newcastle with a cargo of 350 tons of coal consigned to Mr E. Smith. Three hundred tons of the cargo was still on board. That was fully insured. She grounded fully four miles from the Lighthouse.

The bonnie little topsail schooner Pelican came to grief. Her bowsprit was carried away by the George Noble and she became disabled. Captain Munro finding his cargo shifting, slipped anchors. The Pelican steered directly towards the beach. She is a wooden schooner, of 74 tons, and was built at Manning River, NSW in 1874. She is owned by Mr Henry Aitkens, of Oamaru and carried five hands. All safely landed.

Timaru Herald, 1 July 1879, Page 2
The following fuller information regarding the names, &c, of all who were on board the unfortunate vessel when she came ashore has been obtained : � Captain Watts was a man of about 40 years of age, but it is not known whether he was a Scotchman or an American by birth. Mrs Watts' maiden name was Margaret Witlow or Wadlow, she was 28 years of age, and was married about six years ago in Glasgow, her native place. She has a brother holding a high position in one of the banks at Auckland. From the time of her marriage she had been at sea with her husband. Captain Watts was previously to taking charge of the Akbar, at different times captain of two large Glasgow steamships. Three years since he, on the death of a brother, who owned a half of the Akbar, claimed the vessel, and sailed her for Bombay and then came to Australia. He has been running her in the colonial trade. Of the others who have been drowned, Edward Brissen, the boatswain, was a single man and a native of Liverpool, and was about 34 years old ; John Thompson, the cook, leaves a wife and family in Spitalfields, London; James Shea, the boy, was before the mast, was 19 years old and also belonged to Liverpool. The names of those who got safely ashore are J. Bylund, first mate, who has a wife and family at Auckland ; David Bradley, James Ford, Charles Dahlim, and R. Humphreys, able seamen ; and John Wright, passenger. The latter is a relative of Mr Cook, chemist, of Timaru.

The Star Wednesday 2nd July 1879
Mrs Watts, wife of the captain of the Akbar, has a brother in one of the Auckland banks. John Thompson, the cook, leaves a wife and family in London.

The Star Thursday 3rd July 1879
The Late Captain Watt.
Captain Anthony of the barquentine Annie Bow, states that the late Captain Watt, of the brigantine Akbar, was the son of Captain Watt, of Geelong, Victoria, a retired sea captain. He was also brother of Captain Watt who some five or six years ago sold the Bothwell Castle in Sydney, and brother to the captain Watt who sold the Cheviot to Howard, Smith and Co., Melbourne, two or three years ago.

Otago Witness July 5th 1879. 
The brigantine Akbar. Captain Watts, his wife Mrs Margaret Watts; the boatswain Edward Brissen; J, Thompson, cook; and James Shea, ship's boy; drowned. Ten captain was the owner. The remaining crew saved are: - Bynham, mate; Wright, passenger; Dalion, Wadlett, Bardley, Humphries, seaman. The body of the sailor McEwen, belonging to the Beautiful Star, who was drowned by the boat capsizing on Saturday, has also been recovered. Mrs Watts has a brother in one of the Auckland banks.  John Thompson leaves a wife and family in London.

Grey River Argus, 2 July 1879, Page 2
A most disastrous shipping casualty has occurred about 2 a.m. The brigantine Akbar, recently arrived from Newcastle with coal, parted her cables, and commenced drifting towards the shore. Captain John Watts was washed overboard about a mile off the land, and was not seen after. The others held on to the vessel until it was wrecked about 4 a.m., when three sailors (John Thomas, the cook ) (James Shea, ship's boy) and Mrs Margaret Watts, the captain's wife, were drowned in the surf. Five of the crew, and a passenger, came ashore safe. Their condition was pitiable, the vessel having been wrecked some considerable distance from the town, and they had to remain on the beach, most of them in a perfectly nude state, until 7 o'clock, when two of them went to the residence of Herbert Belfield, which is situated near the place. Belfield at once did all in his power to relieve their sufferings, and after having attended to their immediate wants, sent into town for clothes 'for them. Shortly afterwards the Rocket Brigade became aware of the disaster which had taken place, and had them conveyed into town. Three of them were hurt, and had to be taken to the Hospital. At noon the schooner Pelican, of Oamaru, came ashore high and dry, the crew being able to land almost dry on foot. The Akbar is going to pieces, but it is possible the Pelican might be got off.

InquestTimaru Herald, 2  & 4 July 1879, Page 2
Edward James Bylund : I was first mate of the brigantine Akbar,  (hold's a NZ mate's certificate No. 2420 -wrecked near the Washdyke Lagoon on Sunday morning last. I have seen the bodies now lying here, and identify them as those of Edward Brissen (boatswain), Captain Watts, Margaret Watts (the captain's wife), and John Thompson (cook). I have been at sea for thirty years. I joined the Akbar at Newcastle on May 30th last. She was owned by the deceased captain, and was not insured. We brought a cargo of coals from Newcastle to Timaru. The Akbar was about five or six years old, of 205 tons, and properly fitted out and manned. The boatswain was on board the barque Melrose when she was wrecked here.
Charles Dablin : I was an Able seaman aboard the Akbar. I joined at Newcastle on May 30th.
 Richard Humphreys : I was an able seaman on board the Akbar. I have been at sea thirty years, off and on. As far as my experience goes, the vessel's cables were all they ought to be.
This concluded the evidence, and the jury, after a short consultation, returned the following verdict :  " That the deceased canto by their deaths by having been accidentally drowned."

Timaru Herald December 4 1885 page 2
Nautical Enquiry - The stranding of the barque Hudson on the Ninety Mile Beach near Milford Haven, Temuka was held at Lyttelton today, (Dec. 3) before Mr J. Ollivier, R.M., and Captains D. McIntyre and R. Owen, Nautical Assessors. Mr Rose, Collector of Customs conducted the case, with Mr J.C. Martin as counsel, and Mr H.N. Nalder appearing for the captain and the owners of the vessel. Captain Thomas considered he was about 23 miles off land. He arrived at that estimate by two logs, one patent, and the other the old fashioned log. It was hazy and this increased to thick fog. At 2 o'clock the boatswain reported "land." The second officer tried to stay the vessel but the wind was too light. He hove the lead and found five fathoms under the ship's stern, and a shingle and sand bottom. There was a bit of a swell beginning then, which set the ship in. They were already getting the anchor ready to let go when she grounded forward. He was afraid to let the anchor go then, for fear it might go through her bottom. He commenced to get out the boats and ran a stream anchor out astern, took it to the capstan, and tried to heave her off. We commenced to jettison the powder (about 12 tons) and he went ashore and telegraphed to Lyttelton for assistance. At 12 o'clock the Titan, tug, came. About 12 noon Mrs Thomas, wife of the captain was landed safely. He asked Captain Webster to run a hawser and anchor out for him, but the latter said he could not do as he had no coals, and would have to go back to Timaru for them. In the meantime they were jettisoning cargo and landing some in their boats.  In the afternoon the Titan came back about 4 or 5 p.m. It was high water at 5 p.m. On Friday morning the tug Lyttelton arrived from Lyttelton. She made fast and commenced to tow her about 30 or 40 feet off the beach when the tow rope parted. In the meantime the s.s. Herald arrived. Had the Titan returned when she promised the barque would have been got off easily. The Titan arrived with three surface boats but when they wanted the Titan's rope it was found to be broken and partially disabled. The ship finally coming off the beach about 7 p.m. and they proceeded in tow of the tug Lyttelton to Lyttelton. He slipped the bower anchor. They all agreed in the opinion that Captain J. Thomas had not been negligent. At the Harbor Board meeting today 20 bonus was voted to the captain and 30 to the crew of the tug Lyttelton on recognition of special services rendered by them in connection with towing the Hudson off the beach.  [The Hudson is an iron barque, of 794 tons net register, and was built in 1869 by M. Pearse & Co., at Stockton. She is now owned by the Shaw, Savill & Albion Company. Her length is 194ft, width 30 feet, and depth 19 feet]

Dec. 4 Timaru Herald. The p.s. Titan steamed for Port Chalmers early yesterday afternoon to go into dock for her periodical overhaul.

Timaru Herald, 27 November 1885, Page 3
Early yesterday morning a large barque was observed to be very near the beach some twelve miles to the north of Timaru. On Wednesday evening she made the Timaru town lights, but could not see the light from the light house. At 10 p.m. he stood out to sea, and about midnight tacked towards the shore again. After a while she was again headed seaward. The wind then fell calm, and a dense fog set in. Sounding, were taken, and every effort was made to keep her off the land, but the swell and the current gradually forced her nearer the Ninety Mile Beach, which she struck about 3 o'clock in the morning. Two boats were, at once lowered, but as the sea was so calm nothing was done till later on  in the morning when the captain went on shore. After walking some distance he was picked up by a little daughter of Mr Woodhead's and driven to Temuka, from when he communicated with his agents. About noon Mrs Thomas, the wife of the master was landed, and shortly after 2 p.m. the crew began to jettison the cargo, throwing overboard a quantity of gunpowder, cases of spirits, etc., the greater part, of which was soon, picked up and stacked on the beach. The Rocket Brigade, in the meantime, ran a line on shore, and to the other side of the lagoon, to assist in getting the cargo on shore. Captain Edwin J. Thomas told us he intended to send all his crew-ashore for the night. The Titan went down again about 7 p.m., and the Hudson was then all right. The Rocket Brigade returned to town shortly after 8 p.m., after a long and wearisome journey. The Hudson is apparently lying on a soft bottom, and should bad weather not set in there is a probability of her being towed off this morning in by the tugs Lyttelton, Herald and Titan which will be on the scene at an early hour. Her cargo consists of about 1600 tons of general merchandise, including a quantity of plant for the Timaru Woollen Factory Company, Limited. To the actual cause of the Hudson coming to grief, it would not be fair for us to express an opinion at present, but the captain puts it down to a heavy current and the dense fog, the set of the former of which is not properly, understood. We understand Captain Thomas has an interest in the vessel, and has sailed her for six years. The Hudson is an iron barque of 737 tons register, Aal at Lloyd. Her length is 194 ft, beam 30ft, and depth of hold 19ft. She was built at Stockton by Messrs M. Pearse and Co. in 1869. She belongs to the Shaw, Saville and Albion Company's fleet, and left London on August 15th, consigned to Mr John Inglis. There are also a locomotive consigned to the Government and a quantity of powder. The Hudson was sighted on Wednesday sight, off Timaru by the steamers Pelham and Ohau, bound for Lyttelton.  The steamer Herald was also dispatched this evening with men to discharge the cargo so as to lighten the vessel.

North Otago Times, 25 November 1879, Page 2

In our issue of  Saturday we described the endeavor of the three-masted schooner John Watson to got out to son, and stated that it is believed that she had struck on the reefs to the southward of the roadstead and sustained more or less injury. A large number of people witnessed her departure, in company with the small schooner Saxon, and the report being disseminated that the larger vessel had struck the reef, excited a great deal of anxiety to learn her subsequent fate. In the minds of several of the towns people this anxiety was intensified by the fact that a son of Mr Young, baker, of Arthur street, was on board, having gone off a day or two before for the purpose of fishing, and baring been unable to return. The latest news received of the vessel on Friday night was that in response to her signals of distress the Saxon had borne down to her, and that the two wore standing away to the south in company..... The fact that the John Watson had hoisted distress signals left no room for doubt that she had struck the reef and was making water, and throughout the night and next morning inquiries for farther news of her were consequently numerous and earnest. Contrary to the opinion of those watching on shore, Captain Storm says that though his vessel did touch the reef off Patiti Point, it was the merest graze, that could not have been observed from shore, and could only have been observed on board by a sailor. On crossing the reef off Bloody Jack's Point, however, she struck very heavily, being lot down on the rocks with the falling sea. She had a good way on at the time, and rising immediately on another wave, went clear, an without even losing steerage way. She struck apparently from the mizenmast forward, and as the water first showed in the forefoot, it is believed the greater damage was done near the head. The well was sounded as soon as possible, and seven inches of water found in it. The pumps were at once set to work, and the Saxon signalled to lie by for an hour till it should be seen whether the water could be kept under.,....

The John Watson was a three-masted schooner of 209 tons, and was owned by Mr  Jorge Steolo, of Banff, Scotland, at which port she was built in 1875, by Mr John Watson, after whom she was named. She had about 220 tons of coal on board when lost, belonging to Mr E. Smith.

Evening Post, 12 June 1896, Page 6
Timaru, 12th June The ss Herald touched on the Patiti Point Beef early this morning, but sustained no damage.

Evening Post, 6 May 1899, Page 5
Timaru. This Day. The barque John Gambles, 1066 tons, with coal and ballast, from Brisbane., when approaching Timaru this morning in a thick fog, got among the reefs inside Patiti Point, a mile south of the harbour, and struck. A tug and boats have gone to her assistance. The fog is still (at noon) thick, and the vessel cannot be seen from the shore.

Evening Post, 8 May 1899, Page 5
Timaru, 6th May. The latest news concerning the barque John Gambles, which went ashore at Patiti Point when coming from Brisbane to Timaru with coal and ballast, but was floated off within a few hours, is that the vessel bumped three times. She will not come into the Timaru harbour, but will go on to Lyttelton to be docked. The vessel is making no water. Captain Wilkie is in command.

West Coast Times, 28 June 1878, Page 2
Exhibition of  A Fixed White Light at Timaru. Marine Department, Wellington, 17th June, 1878.
It is hereby notified that on and after the 1st day of July next, a harbor light will be exhibited from the Lighthouse which has been erected at Timaru, the position and characteristics of which arc as follow:  The Timaru Lighthouse is situated in the town of Timaru, on the east coast of the Middle Island of New Zealand, and bears from Patiti Point N.W.  N. distance 1� miles. The tower is 30 feet in height, is built of timber, and painted stone color. The light will be a fifth order fixed white light, and will be risible from N. 20 degrees W. round by W. to S. 20 degrees E. The light is elevated about 85 feet above the sea, and, allowing 15 feet for the height of the observer's eye, will be seen at a distance of about 14J nautical miles in clear weather, and at lesser distance according to the state of the atmosphere. On the same night that this light is exhibited, the red light at present shown at Timaru will be discontinued. J. Ballance. N.B.  All bearings are magnetic. This notice affects the following Admiralty Charts, viz : General Chart of New Zealand (No. 1212), and Sheet 9 (No. 2532).

North Otago Times, 4 November 1881, Page 2
The masters of several vessels which have lately arrived at Timaru have told us that they were misled by the bright light at the railway station, St. Andrews. In one instance a vessel was within an ace of going ashore, owing to the resemblance of the light to that erected in the lighthouse, Timaru. The proper place for the lighthouse is Patiti Point, which overlooks the roofs.

Otago Witness, 13 February 1901, Page 58
The coast line from Banks Peninsula to Timaru  our next light is low, and cannot be seen in thick weather or at night until close in upon the breakers, but southward of the town the cliffs rise again to the eight of 30ft to 50ft. Timaru itself lies on the seashore, and back of it rises the long line of mountains which forms the backbone of our island. Burkes Pass presents a very conspicuous feature in fine weather, and can be distinctly seen. Timaru is approached from the open sea, and the light here is a harbour light and not a coastal light. The lighthouse was built by the Government in 1877 (John Blackett, engineer), and handed over to the Harbour Board, who have maintained it ever since. It is lit and attended to by the night watchman. The light is furnished by three incandescent Welsbach burners, lit with gas, and is visible at a distance of about 14 miles. The chief danger of the Timaru Harbour is found in the Patiti Reef, which extends about two-thirds of a mile from Patiti Point, and is fronted by sand and shoal patches, with outlying reefs of rock and kelp. The lighthouse and flagstaff are on a cliff towards the north end of the town, and thus mark the S.W. extremity of the Ninety-mile Beach. The tower is 30ft high, built of wood, and painted white.

Timaru Herald, 17 March 1887, Page 3
Isaac James Bradley and George Sunnaway, two watermen engaged in connection with the towing of the Lyttelton, were examined, and said they never saw a vessel towed out in the same direction as the Lyttelton. She was heading seaward, and going ahead when the anchor was let go.

Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand
Personal records Correspondence & Reminiscences
Record Title : Haylock, Arthur Lagden, 1860-1948
Family history papers 1918-1957 MS-Papers-3562, 1 folder (12 items)
Arthur Lagden Haylock  was born in Akaroa in 1860. In 1877 he entered the Government Service as a cadet, and was posted to the Land Office at Timaru. His great interest in the sea and ships led him to join the `Timaru Rocket Brigade', a group of volunteers which watched over vessels anchored in the roadstead. He was transferred to Christchurch and then Wellington and after his retirement was active in the Anglican Church's Men's Society and also continued his interest in compiling records of early events, especially shipwrecks. He died in 1948.
Papers include several letters written to Haylock by various people, during the 1940s giving information on his forebears in Akaroa and Banks Peninsula. Also included is an obituary of S C Farr, dated 14 Jul 1918, an article written by Haylock on Captain James Bruce (d. 1858) , an autobiographical account of his time in Timaru entitled `Recollections of Timaru 1877-1882' which deals mainly with his activities in the `Rocket Brigade' and the shipwrecks of that era and a newspaper clipping dated 11 May 1957 which also deals with shipwrecks near Timaru. A biographical note written by Haylock's son or daughter gives some details of his life.
Dicken family, Haylock family , Farr family
Baker, Thomas Southey 1848-1902
Farr, Samuel Charles, 1827-1918

Haylock, Arthur Lagden 1860-1948
Timaru [1878?]
Reference Number : A-157-018
Physical Description : Pencil and watercolour 127 x 176 mm
View of township looking across water to foreshore with Southern Alps in background.
Other Notes : of other sketches of Timaru in Haylock's Sketchbook, 1878-9 (E-060b) in Drawings and Prints Collection.
Historical Notes : Probably drawn while artist worked in Timaru as a cadet in the Lands Office.
Restrictions : Partial restriction : Use photographic copies in preference to original
Digital Copy : Digital copy available

The Brisbane Courier Wednesday 4 May 1881
The schooner Arawatie, coal laden, from Greymouth, was wrecked at Timaru. The crew were all saved.

The Argus Tuesday 15 April 1919 Page 7
Messrs Booth and Company, of Christchurch, have been advised that the wooden barque Albert, which left Timaru on January 24, laden with tallow and leather, has been wrecked on the Californian coast. The vessel is reported to be a total loss. The cargo, valued at about 35,000 pounds, was insured with American underwriters.

It is said that many gutter culverts in Timaru are hull-plates from wrecks.
 The New Zealand Guide by Edward Stewart Dollimore - 1952

In 2016 the South Canterbury Coastguard was established in 1994 with the motto "the charity saving lives at sea" had 12 volunteers and cover from the Rangitata River to the Waitaki River and 12 miles (22km) out to sea. More people are wearing life jackets, are more safety conscious and have modern technology - GPS systems, cell phone and Epirbs.

South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project

New Zealand Bound

"I stand by the side of a current
that's deeper far than the sea
and storm beaten craft of every draught
come in to be healed by me."