Reference: Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Canterbury edition. Vol. 3 pages 920-924 Published 1903
WAITOHI which is divided into Upper and Lower, extends from Temuka in a north-easterly direction for about twelve miles, and is bounded on the south-west by the river Opihi. Lower Waitohi extends about six miles in the direction of the river, and Upper Waitohi continues for a similar distance. The Lower Flat has a good public school, a store, post office, blacksmith's shop, and there is also a good school in the upper portion of the district. The land is most fertile and produces heavy crops of wheat and oats; even in the upper district, which merges into the higher country, though it is not so rich, the land in some favoured seasons has yield sixty to eighty bushels of grain per acre. Pleasant Point lies on the other side of the river, which is to be spanned by a bridge, whereby the journey to Timaru will be shortened by many miles. The settlers of the district know how to mingle enjoyment with hard work. They have two tennis clubs, one day's horse racing and athletic sports every year, and keep up a succession of concerts and dances at the public school throughout the winter.
FEILDEN, Geoffry Nelson, Farmer, Dulas farm, Waitohi Flat. Mr Feilden is the youngest son of the late Lieutenant-Colonel Feilden, of Dulas Court, Herefordshire, and the 44th Essex Regiment. He was born in Lancashire in 1865, and was educated at Marlborough and Oxford. It was at first intended that he should take holy orders, but preferring colonial life he came to New Zealand in 1887, and went as a cadet on Messrs Chamberlain Brothers' farm, "Waireka," near Malvern Hills. He was afterwards at "Raincliff," Fairlie, and obtained a thorough insight into colonial farming life during the seven years he was at these two stations. Mr Feilden visited the Old Country in 1893, and returned to the colony the following year, when he purchased Dulas Farm, on which he has grown oats, which have threshed ninety-six bushels to the acre. The grounds are laid out in a very artistic manner. Mr Feilden is a member of the Temuka Road Board, and also lieutenant in the Temuka Rifles. In 1895, he married Miss Raymond, daughter of Mr F.B. Raymond, surveyor, and sister of Mr S.G. Raymond, solicitor, Timaru.
GOODEVE, Henry Roland, Farmer, "Dairy Green," Waitohi Flat, Mr Goodeve was born in Essex, England, in 1845, and went to sea at the age of thirteen years and sailed to the colonies. He settled in New Zealand in 1859 and was in the coastal trade in the well-known schooner "Wellington," which traded between Lyttelton and Timaru. he was for a time on the Temuka goldfields, and in 1862 worked on Mr John Hay's run, the "Mackenzie." In that year he bought a farm at Waitohi Flat in conjunction with Mr William Ackroyd, which they afterwards sold, and he then bought his present property of 156 acres. He was a member of the committee appointed to erect the pioneers' memorial, in Victoria Park, Temuka, in commemoration of the Record Reign. Mr Goodeve, arrived Miss Taylor, daughter of the late Mr Robert Taylor, a very old Canterbury settler, and has eleven children living out of fourteen.
HALLY, Daniel, Farmer, Waitohi. Mr Hally was born in County Tipperary, Ireland in 1836. He landed in Melbourne in 1860 from the ship "Champion of the Seas," and crossing the Tasman Sea in the early days of the Otago diggers, visited the mining centres of the South Island. Afterwards revisited Victoria, Mr Hally returned to New Zealand, and in 1867 purchased his farm at Waitohi, where he lived with his family.
HERON, James, Farmer, "Dinda Farm, Waitohi. Mr Heron was born in County Down, Ireland, in 1837. He left for New Zealand by the "Indiana" in 1857, landing at Lyttelton, and was for three years in the Haswell district, afterwards going south to Wanaka. After a time he returned to Haswell district, and started farming, and also undertook contract work, including the cutting of a drain from Springton to Lake Ellesmere for the Government. There he met with an accident which incapacitated him for twelve months. He then did some farming successfully at Malvern and Longbeach, and took up his Waitohi property of 200 acres. His wife died in 1897, leaving eleven children. All his sons work on the farm, and his eldest is a threshing contractor.
HULLEN, Johann Martin, Farmer, Waitohi. Mr Hullen was born in London in 1850, and came to New Zealand with his parents in 1859. He was brought up to farming by his father who settled at Waitohi in 1866. The area of Mr Johann Hullen's farm is 239 acres, all subdivided into paddocks and under cultivation, with the exception of twenty acres, His crops are of the finest quality and give good yields. Mr Hullen has a stud flock of English Leicester, He was married in Timaru to the daughter of Mr Christian Arras, of Levels Plain, and has six children.
LANGRIDGE, John, Farmer, Waitohi. Mr Langridge was born in Sussex, England, in 1834, and served an apprenticeship to the building trade, after which he entered the service of Sir John Shelley, with whom he remained three years. He left England for New Zealand in 1858, by the ship "Indiana." For eight years subsequently he settled in Christchurch, and then he removed to Temuka, and put up a brick house just before the flood of 1868. It was then he bought the farm which he still owns. For many years he carried on the business as builder, but has latterly confined himself solely to farming. He was for some years clerk of works for the Temuka Road Board. In the olden days he was a member of the Temuka school committee, and he is still a prominent member of the church of England at Temuka, and was clerk of works for the new stone church. Mr Langridge was married in the Old Country, and has a family of nine children, but Mrs Langridge died in 1897. His son J.J. Langridge, is in business at Takaka, Nelson, and senior member in the firm of J.J. Langridge and Co. general storekeepers.
McATEER, Michael, Farmer, Waitohi. Mr McAteer is a native of Donegal, Ireland, and came out to New Zealand in the ship "Invercargill," landing at Port Chalmers. He was brought up to farming in the Old Country, and on his arrival here he worked for a time for Mr Donald McLean. Then he owned a team, and ploughing and contracting on the Levels station. He afterwards took up a farm of 277 acres on the Point Road, where he remained for four years, Thence he went to Temuka, where he kept the Royal Hotel for three years. Mr McAteer took up his present holding of 200 acres on the Waitohi in 1894. He was married in 1887 to Miss Maggie Power, and they have seven children.
MCKINNON, Donald, Farmer, Waitohi. Mr McKinnon was born in Inverness-shire, Scotland, in 1830, and was brought up to farming. He came to New Zealand in the ship "Canterbury," in 1874, and went to Banks Peninsula, but finding that there were no schools within a reasonable distance for his children he removed to Saltwater Creek, where he was shepherding for twelve months. He then went to Orari, under engagement to Mr Tripp, with whom he remained for two years. Mr McKinnon then bought a farm on the Rangitata, but subsequently sold it to Mr Ruddenklau. In 1886, he went to Waitohi, and took up the farm where he now resides, and runs sheep and cattle, besides cropping his land. He was a member of the Waitohi school committee, but resigned through being unable to devote sufficient time to hi position. Mr McKinnon married Miss Margaret McDonald, of Ross-shire, Scotland, and has three sons and two daughters.
McCORMICK, Lachlan, Erdoch Farm, Upper Waitohi. Mr McCormick was born on his father's farm of Erdoch in Argyleshire, Scotland, in August, 1837, and was educated in his native village. He was bought up to farming, and came out to Lyttelton in the ship "Resylvia" in 1861. Immediately after his arrival he went to the goldfields where he remained for six months, but being unsuccessful, then returned to Canterbury. For a time he was engaged in roadmaking and contracting in Christchurch. On the outbreak of the Wakamarina "rush" he went there, but was again unsuccessful. After twelve months on the West Coast and elsewhere, he removed to Waitohi where he took up his present arm of 508 acres, on which he conducts a mixed system of farming; his wheat crops average thirty bushels per acre. Mr McCormick is also a threshing contractor, and owns the Cave Hotel, Cave. He has been a member of the Upper Waitohi school committee for many years. Mr McCormick was married, in 1877, to the eldest daughter of Mr James McIntyre, farmer, Pleasant Point, and they have two sons and three daughters.
MOORE, Michael, farmer, Waitohi. Mr Moore was born at Newcastle, County Limerick, Ireland, in 1842, and was brought up on his father's farm. He emigrated to Australia in 1864, and after being sometime at Ballarat, came to New Zealand in 1868 - the year of the flood in South Canterbury. Shortly afterwards, he engaged in farming, and since 1892 has been settled in the district on a property of 524 acres, on which he carries a mixed system of farming. He was elected to the Temuka Road Board in 1894, and was for many years a member of the Waitohi Flat School Committee and of the district water-Race Committee. Mr Moore was married in Ballarat by his cousin, the Rev. James Moore, now Bishop Moore, and has three sons and five daughters.
SMART, George, Stone Farm Waitohi Flat. Mr Smart was born at Wooten Rivers, near Marlborough, Wiltshire, England, in 1850, and, accompanied by his wife, came to New Zealand in 1874, by the steamer, "Atrato," which anchored at Lyttelton. Mr Smart, then went by steamer "Beautiful Star" to Timaru, where he and Mrs Smart obtained as an engagement as married couple on the Seadown estate of the late Mr B. Rhodes. Thence he went to Temuka. In 1880 he went to the Waitohi district, where he afterwards began farming. Mr Smart now occupies about 500 acres, on which he conducts a very successful system of mixed farming. He has a family of five sons and four daughter.
WALKER, William, Farmer, "Longside Farm." Waitohi Flat. Mr Walker was born in Cheshire, England, in 1834, was brought up to farming. When he was nineteen he entered the railway workshops in Lancashire, and remained there for six years. He emigrated to New Zealand by the ship "Regina," landing in Lyttelton on the 4th of December, 1859. He settled in North Canterbury for seven years, but went south to Temuka in 1866, and took up his present farm of 220 acres. Mr Walker also carried on an extensive business for a considerable period, besides undertaking steam threshing and hauling operations with his sons. He was one of the first settlers at Waitohi, and for sometime a member of the water-race committee. Mr Walker married in the Old Country, and brought his wife [Sarah] and three children with him to New Zealand.
WILLIAMS, Richard, Farmer, Waitohi. Mr Williams was born in Carnarvonshire, North Wales, in 1825, and was early trained to farming, but afterwards became a stonemason. In 1864, he came out to New Zealand in the ship "Canterbury," and landed at Lyttelton. In Christchurch, he helped to erect the Durham Street Church, and was afterwards engaged by Mr Britton, Haswell, at his quarry. Then he went bush felling at Hoon Hay, and thence to Longbeach, where he worked for sometime for Mr John Grigg. In 1869, he went to Waitohi, and took up 110 acres, which he has farmed ever since. Mr Williams was the first to settle in the Upper Waitohi, and he has witnessed the growth of South Canterbury from its infancy. He has been a member of the Upper Waitohi school committee and the Temuka Road Board. Mr Williams was a member of the Order of Foresters in the Old Country for twenty years. In 1872 he married Miss Mary Opie, of Cornwall, England, and they have one son. Mrs Williams came out on the ship "Charlotte Gladstone" in 1872.
CUNNINGHAM, David, was a native of Ceres, Fifeshire, Scotland, where he was born in 1835, and was brought up to the trade of a blacksmith. In 1858 he married Miss Margaret Nairn, in his native town, and some time afterwards brought here out to New Zealand in the ship "Captain Cook." He commenced business with Mr Blyth, near Christchurch, but soon afterwards went to Temuka. Mr Cunningham built a blacksmith's shop, and also a store, at Waitohi, where he carried on his business for over thirty years. He also bought a farm at Waitohi, which his second son David now manages. Mr Cunningham was a member of the Waitohi school committee for several years. He died in 1898, leaving a widow and a grown-up family of four to mourn his death.
HULLEN, John, sometime of Waitohi, and latterly of Timaru, was born in London, in 1853, and came with his parents to Lyttelton on the ship "Regina," landing in 1859. His father, the late Mr Henry Hullen, was farming at Tai Tapu for seven years, and on removing to Waitohi in 1867, purchased 319 acres of land, On his death on 1884, the property was divided between his sons, Johann Martin, and the subject of this sketch. Mr John Hullen's farm consisted of 175 acres, well subdivided and devoted to sheep raising and grain growing. For two years he was a member of the local school committee. He married a daughter of the late Mr Jacob Jack, who came to Canterbury in 1864, and had two children. Mr Hullen died at Timaru on the 18th October, 1901.
Reference: Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Canterbury edition. Vol. 3 pages 924 Published 1903
AROWHENUA is a town district in Temuka riding of Geraldine county, and is actually a part of the town of Temuka. Arowhenua has a scattered population of about 800. The revenue from rates and other sources is about 200. It is eighty-nine miles distance from Christchurch on the main trunk railway, and is served by the railway station at Temuka..
GAFFNEY, Michael, Farmer, "Belper Farm," Arowhenua. Mr Gaffney was born in 1836 at Belper, Derbyshire, England, and emigrated to New Zealand in 1858 [sic] by the ship "Cresswell," landing in Lyttelton. He went to Timaru and was employed by Messrs. Rhodes Bros. For many years, principally at bush work and fencing. He was the first to take a waggon [sic] team to the Mackenzie country, and engaged in the carrying business for some years. In 1861, he was the first to take up land on the Levels estate. The farm on which he rides comprises of 548 acres, and he has another property of 252 acres at Washdyke, and a considerable amount of township property. In addition to wheat growing, he fattens sheep for freezing, and disposes of a considerable number annually. Mr Gaffney has been a member of the South Canterbury Hunt Club for many years and takes a general interest in sport. He was married in Christchurch to Maggie Brosnahan, and has twelve children.
South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project