Talbot's of South Canterbury

Trentham, Nov. 2009. Mt. Walker, far right.

The family name is woven through South Canterbury's farming and public life.

How did the Talbot name become so popular around South Canterbury?  Sons = 8 + 4 and many diverse interests.

In South Canterbury, N.Z. we find Talbot Rd, Fairlie, Talbot St, Geraldine, Talbot Forest Scenic Reserve, Geraldine. John Talbot Rd, Temuka, Talbot's Road, south of Timaru in the Salisbury area and Talbot Park which was Talbot Hospital - set in over three hectares of landscaped grounds providing a park-like setting and offers care for those experiencing barriers to ADL due to Alzheimer and Dementia. It was opened in August 1906 as the Talbot Fever Hospital, Otipua Rd - for the treatment of infectious diseases. Talbot Park was named after John Talbot who was chairman of the hospital board when the hospital was built.

Know a district's roads, hills and streams, and you know half its history.

Sheepowners Returns AJHR 1878 1879 1880 1881
John Talbot, Temuka 146 260 250 220
George Talbot, Rangitata Island   215 285 182

New Zealand. Dept. of Labour - 1906
Talbot, Charles, Fairlie
Talbot, George, Kingsdown, Timaru
Talbot, John, Temuka
Talbot, T., Temuka

Stones Directory 1940
Pleasant Point - Talbot, Walter Henry, farmer, (Rapuwai)

Temuka-Hilton rural delivery
Talbot H., farmer (Rangitira)
Talbot, L V., farmer (Hilton)
Talbot, Bros. (R. & F. ) (Rangitira Valley)

John Talbot Sr. (1814-1881)

John Talbot Sr., wife Sarah nee Webber and their five children arrived in Lyttelton on the Zealandia on May 24 1862 as steerage passengers from Culmstock Parish, Devonshire. They settled in the Tai Tapu district. Later John's sister, brother-in-law, cousin, nephew and niece followed probably encouraged by positive letters of life on the Canterbury Plains. Headstone.

Talbot, John 		47 Devonshire Farm Labourer 
	Sarah 		45 			b. Jan. 1816 Culmstock, Devon
	John 		16 T/F to single men 
	George 		14 T/F to single men 	b. 1848 Uffculme
	Ellen 		12 T/F to single women 	b. 1849
	Thomas 		 8 			b. 1853
	Mary Ann 	 6 			b. 1854

Timaru Herald April 1881 Death
TALBOT - On April 1st, at Temuka, John Talbot, senr., aged 67 [sic]
TALBOT - On April 18th, at the residence of her son, George, Kingsdown, Mrs John Talbot, relict of the late John Talbot, senr., aged 65 years.

In Memoriam
John Talbot
Died April 1st 1881 aged 67
Also Sarah his wife
Died April 17th 1881 aged 6

Maria Talbot (1811 -1896)

Maria Talbot, a sister to John, married John Wyatt Wright, in Devon. They were first cousins. Two of John Talbot 's siblings settled in Australia and John and Maria settled in Canterbury, NZ. Maria being the second oldest and John the third oldest and the oldest son. Their sister Ann Talbot (b. 1831) married a neighbour, John Norton (b. 1829) and both are buried at the Prescott Chapel Churchyard, England.

The Norton's and The Wright's
 Reference: Dissertation on John and Sarah Norton 

In those days neighbors often married neighbors and often migrated together.

John Talbot Wright of "Ashfield", Dunsandel
On 5 Dec. 1863 Elizabeth (21 years) and John Talbot Wright (19 years), born at Culmstock, Devonshire, in 1843, the two eldest children of John Wyatt Wright and Maria (nee Talbot) arrived in Lyttelton on the "Accrington" and were met by their Uncle John Talbot. J.T. Wright gained his early colonial experience in driving a waggon between Rangiora and Oxford, and in contracting and fencing. In 1865 John Talbot Wright and his cousins George and John Talbot purchased a farm at Springston.

Wright	John T.   19 Devonshire Farm Labourer 
Wright 	Elizabeth 21 Devonshire Domestic Servant 

On 25 September 1865 John Wyatt Wright and Maria arrived in Lyttelton on the "Tudor" and also purchased a farm at Springston.  

Wright, John W 	48 Devonshire Farm Labourer 
	Maria 	52
	William 20 Farm Labourer
	Samuel 	12 Farm Labourer 
	William 20 Farm Labourer 

In 1869 John and George Talbot sold their holdings to their cousin J.T. Wright and in 1870 John purchased land in the Temuka district and George in the Kingsdown area. J.T. Wright started farming at Springston, but, not satisfied with his prospects in that place; he removed to Dunsandel, where he bought 100 acres, the nucleus of his present fine estate of 1733 acres of freehold. The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District] page 785
    Samuel Wright the third son of J.W. Wright and Maria married Margaret Young, d/o David Young of Dunhill Farm, Waitohi Flats, Temuka. James the youngest son of J.W. Wright and Maria, married Mary Anne Young, the sister of Margaret, on 24 December 1879.

Wright, Samuel, Settler, Temuka.
Mr. Wright was born in the parish of Culmstock, Devonshire, England, in 1847. He is a son of Mr. John Wyatt Wright, who came to the Colony in 1865 by the ship “Tudor.” The family had previously been engaged in farming in Devonshire. After their arrival Mr. S. Wright with his brother William farmed a property at Dunsandel, in 1866, the gift of their father, and afterwards one at Temuka. On the partnership being dissolved, Mr. Wright went to Ashburton, where he purchased 1100 acres, a portion of the farm belonging to Mr. Moore of Glenmark. For fifteen years he was engaged in pastoral and agricultural farming on this estate, which he sold in 1893 and retired from farming. He now resides at “Hazelthorpe,” Temuka. Mr. Wright married the second daughter of Mr. D. Young, in December, 1884, and has one son and one daughter. The Cyclopedia of New Zealand  page 913 photo

Timaru Herald Death
WRIGHT. On July 6th 1896, at her son's residence, "Hazelthorpe" Temuka, Maria, [nee Talbot] the beloved wife of J. W. Wright, in her 85th year.
FUNERAL NOTICE. The Friends of Mr J. W. Wright are respectfully informed that the Funeral of his late Wife will leave his son's (Mr Samuel Wright's) residence, Hazelthorpe, Temuka, THIS DAY, July 8th, at half-past 2 o'clock, for the Temuka Cemetery.

Birth 1895 Wright Samuel Walter Clarence 	Mother: Margaret 	Father: Samuel 

Timaru Herald, 11 April 1898, Page 3
Mr and Mrs S. Wright, of Hazelthorpe, Temuka, gave a garden party on Good Friday, to give many friends the opportunity of saying farewell to the Rev. Mr and Mrs Standage, who are leaving the district. All visitors were very hospitably entertained, and the day being tine outdoor games were enjoyed by the younger people to their hearts' content. After tea the Rev. Mr Dickson (Presbyterian) referred to the Rev. Mr Standage's catholic sympathy with every scheme having for its object the general welfare of the district, and also to his zeal and amiable qualities. It gave him great pleasure to beg his acceptance of an opossum skin travelling rug, as a mark of his association with the district. Mr J. W. Miles, on behalf of the Wesleyan Church officials, expressed appreciation of Mr Standage's labours, directing special attention to the work of the Mutual Improvement Society. He had received many kindnesses from all, but especially from Mr and Mrs S. Wright and Mr and Mrs J. Wright. As years advanced he felt a growing disinclination to frequent changes and looked forward to the time when he would be able to call some place, "be it ever so humble," his home. Through all his career he should carry with him grateful recollections of his stay in Temuka. He had some acquaintance with his successor, the Rev. Mr Tinsley, who was a very able man, and one with whom they would be able to get on well. The company joined in singing "God be with you till we meet again," before dispersing, and the kindness of Mr and Mrs Wright was cordially acknowledged.

Press, 3 March 1925, Page 11 WILLIAM WRIGHT.
Another of Canterbury's pioneers passed away in the Waikato recently, He was Mr William Wright, of Pairere, Hinuera Valley, who was a farmer in the Springston district over fifty years ago, and later at Temuka. Mr Wright emigrated to New Zealand from Devonshire, England, in 1865. After farming at Ashburton and Springston, he, in 1867, settled with his cousin, the late Mr John. Talbot, of Rangatira Valley, Temnka. He was mainly instrumental in obtaining a school in that district, and, for many years was chairman of its committee. Mr Wright took over the Paeroa Estate, Tiran, in 1908, but in 1911, after meeting with a serious accident, which rendered him a partial invalid, he disposed of this, property, and acquired the present property. The funeral service was conducted by the Rev. A.C. Hampton, of Matamata Presbyterian Church. Mr Wright leaves a widow and four sons and four daughters.

Evening Post, 2 May 1940, Page 7 TRACTOR FATALITY
Timaru, May 1. As a result of being run over by a tractor, an elderly retired farmer, David James Young, residing in Colombo Street, Christchurch, died in hospital in Timaru today. Mr. Young was visiting his son-in-law, Mr. H. Talbot, Rangitira Valley. He went to assist Mr. Talbot, who was pinned against a shed, when the tractor moved backwards when started, apparently having been left in gear. Mr. Talbot got clear and reached the gears ahead of Mr. Young, who was leaning over the machine. Apparently the gear was put into forward instead of neutral, and Mr. Young was dragged down, the machine passing over him. He was sent to hospital and died early this morning.

Timaru Herald 1873 Deaths
July 29 1873- At Dernhill, Waitohi Flat, Charlotte, the beloved wife of Mr David Young, aged 41 years. [She died on her birthday]
YOUNG. On 2nd October 1892, at his late residence Drynhill, Waitohi, David Young, in his 68th year.

John Norton, arrived at Port Chalmers on 12 June 1881 on the Waitangi. He was 21 the son of Ann nee Talbot and John Norton.  Ann was the sister of John Talbot and Maria Wright nee Talbot. He went to work for his cousin Wm Wright up the Rangitira Valley. On 13 Jan. 1884 the Waitangi arrived at Lyttelton with Mary Ann Norton b. 1859, (the oldest sister of John) and James Talbot Norton b. 1862, their brother.

Norton Mary A 27 
Norton James  21  Devon Baker

John Norton married Sarah Beer at the Temuka Presbyterian Church on 3 Nov. 1884. William Wright was best man and Mary Ann Norton bridesmaid. On 16 Dec. 1884 Mary Ann married her first cousin William Wright. In 1899 John Norton moved from the Rangitira Valley and purchased "Prospect Farm", which was once part of the Levels Station is north of the Smart-Munro Road. In 1906 Frederick John Norton, their eldest child died of pneumonia. Another Frederick John Norton b. in Jan 1869, at Culmstock, a younger brother to John, came out in 1889. John and Sarah sold "Prospect Farm" in 1919 and retired to 4 Rhodes Street, Timaru.

Norton, John, Farmer, "Prospect Farm", Pleasant Point. Mr. Norton was born in 1860, in Devonshire, England, and found employment in country work until leaving for New Zealand. He arrived at Port Chalmers by the ship “Waitangi” and found employment with Mr. William Wright, at Rangatira Valley, near Temuka, till 1898, when he purchased 404 acres, which he has named Prospect Farm. The land was all in one paddock, but is now sub-divided into nine paddocks, and has been very largely improved, a handsome ten-roomed residence and substantial out-buildings having been erected. Mr. Norton served as a member of the Pleasant Point school committee for a year, and has been connected with the Waitohi Lodge of the Independent Order of Good Templars. He was married on the 3rd of November, 1884, to a daughter of Mr. John Beer, of Doddiscombe Leigh, Devon, England, and has five daughters and four sons. Reference: The Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Canterbury edition. Vol. 3 page 937

Births 				Mother 	Father
1885 Norton Frederick John 	Sarah 	John
1887 Norton Lillian Mary 	Sarah 	John 
1889 Norton Walter Henry 	Sarah 	John 
1890 Norton Lyna Ellen 		Sarah 	John
1892 Norton Eva Emily 		Sarah 	John 
1895 Norton Olive Evelayne 	Sarah 	John 
1894 Norton Charles Talbot 	Sarah 	John farmed at Mt. Nessing d. 1968
1901 Norton William Victor 	Sarah 	John 

1893 Norton Emily Gladys 		Emily Pleiades 	James Talbot Norton
1894 Norton Eveline Maude 		Emily Plevader 	James Talbot Norton
1895 Norton Raymond Talbot Hancock 	Emily Pleiades 	James Talbot Norton d. 1982
1897 Norton Allan James 		Emily Phiades 	James Talbot Norton
1899 Norton Orpah Elsie 		Emily Pleiades 	James T. Norton  Lived in Lyttelton, a spinster, d. 1966
James Talbot NORTON was a merchant in Lyttelton, d. 1947 his wife Emily died 1906.

George Talbot (1848-1930)

Talbot, George, Farmer, Enfield, Salisbury. Mr. Talbot was born in Devonshire, England, in 1847, and educated and brought up in his native country. He came to Lyttelton in 1862, by the ship “Zealandia,” and for several years was in partnership with his brother, Mr. J. Talbot, until he commenced farming on his own account in the Selwyn district. About the year 1870 Mr. Talbot removed to South Canterbury and farmed for a number of years in the Kingsdown district. In 1882 he removed to Salisbury, where he now farms 1200 acres of freehold land. He has served as a member of the committee of the Timaru Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and has also been on the local school committee. Mr. Talbot was married, in 1878, to a daughter [Margaret] of Mr. Samuel McCullough, and has four sons and three daughters.
Reference: The Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Canterbury edition. Vol. 3 Salisbury page 1037 George is buried in Fairlie. 

Births 				Mother 		Father
1880 Talbot Samuel Ernest 	Margaret Jane 	George 
1881 Talbot George Cecil 	Margaret Jane 	George 
1882 Talbot John Stanley 	Margaret Jane 	George 
1884 Talbot William McCullough 	Margaret Jane 	George 
1889 Talbot Sarah 		Margaret Jane 	George 
1891 Talbot Agnes Eleanor 	Margaret Jane 	George 
1893 Talbot Margaret Edith 	Margaret Jane 	George 
Age at Death 84 
Date of Interment Thursday, 30 October 1930 
Timaru Cemetery 
also Margaret Jane TALBOT b. 22 Aug. 1856 - DOD May 19th 1936
Age at Death 81 
Also Samuel "Sam" Ernest Talbot died Aug. 4 1921 age 41
and his wife Hilda Augusta died Feb. 26 1979, age 95
Also George Cecil Talbot s/o George Talbot, Kingsdown died May 5th 1907, aged 26 years
Also William McCullough Talbot died May 19th 1908 aged 25 years
TALBOT JOHN STANLEY - Timaru Cemetery 
Age at Death 83 Years. Born 15 June 1882. Died 5 June 1966
Also Elizabeth Adelaide b. 28 March 1883 - died 24th Dec. 1962, 
also Pamela Anne Talbot youngest daughter of John & Elizabeth Nov. 14th 1994

Timaru Herald, 7 May 1907, Page 4
The late George Cecil Talbot, who died at his parents' residence, Kingsdown on Sunday last was a member of the Sixth Contingent and will be accorded a military funeral. The volunteer corps, the excontingenters, and the Garrison band will attend the funeral, and also the Timaru High School cadets, the deceased being an ex-pupil of the school. Sometime after his return from South Africa the late Mr Talbot decided to study electricity and after visiting the St Louis Exhibition settled down in Chicago, where he pursued his studies with marked success. He was however, attacked with consumption, the disease obtaining such a firm hold of him that it was feared he would be unable to travel home. The funeral will leave his father's residence at 2 p.m. to-morrow, and will be joined at Ross' corner at 2.30 p.m. by the volunteer forces.

Thomas Talbot (1853-

Talbot, Thomas, Farmer, Rangitira Valley, near Temuka. Mr. Talbot was born in Devonshire, England, in 1853, s/o John & Sarah TALBOT, and came with his parents to Lyttelton in the ship “Zealandia,” in 1862. He went with his father to Tai Tapu, and afterwards to Springston, where they remained twelve years. It was there that Mr. Talbot was instructed in farming. In 1874, he leased land for cropping in the Ashburton district, and worked there for four years, when he went to the Rangitira Valley, and took up 230 acres. This property he has since increased to 300 acres, and erected a farrier's shop and farm outbuildings. He runs a number of crossbred sheep, but cultivates the greater portion of the farm. In 1876, he married Miss Lucy Brown, of Nelson, and they have four sons and eight daughters. Reference: Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Canterbury edition. Vol. 3 page 913 

1876 Lucy Brown 	Thomas Talbot 

Births					Mother 	Father
1877  3 Oct Talbot Lucy Jane 		Lucy 	Thomas 
1878 26 Sep Talbot Ellen 		Lucy 	Thomas b. Waitohi Flat
1880 29 Mar Talbot Emma Frances 	Lucy 	Thomas 
1881  7 Jul Talbot Winifred 		Lucy 	Thomas 
1882 18 Jul Talbot Thomas Henry 	Lucy 	Thomas d. 1958 aged 81
1884 17 Jul Talbot Mabel 		Lucy 	Thomas 
1886 26 Apr Talbot Selina Brown 	Lucy 	Thomas [Lena]
1888  3 Jan Talbot Norah 		Lucy 	Thomas 
1889 26 Dec Talbot John William 	Lucy 	Thomas 
1892 14 Oct Talbot Sarah 		Lucy 	Thomas d. 28 July 1893
1893 20 Sep Talbot Richard Edward 	Lucy 	Thomas 
1895 26 Jul Talbot Sarah Elizabeth 	Lucy 	Thomas 
1897 26 Sep Talbot James Evan 		Lucy 	Thomas [Jimmie]

Timaru Herald, 28 July 1893, Page 2 Death.
Talbot— At Rangitira Valley, Sarah, the youngest daughter of Thomas and Lucy Talbot. Aged 9 months and a fortnight.

Emma Frances Talbot
Birth: 29 March 1880 Temuka
Death:  7 March 1920 Geraldine
Burial: Temuka
Spouse: Arthur Dean d. Sept. 27 1961, aged 87
Marriage: 16 Dec. 1901 Temuka

Marjorie Ballard married Richard Edward Talbot, s/o Thomas Talbot and Lucy Brown, on 15 Mar 1922 in Hastings, Hawkes Bay, NZ. Richard was b. 20 Sep 1893 in Temuka. Sheep farmer. Richard and Marjorie had the following children:
Kathleen Mary (Mollie) Talbot
James Ballard Talbot
Lucy Evelyn Talbot   

John Talbot, Jr. (1845-1923)

Press, 22 December 1923, Page 15
Mr John Talbot, of Rangitira Valley, one of the most useful public men which South Canterbury has known, died on Thursday. The deceased had been in indifferent health for some time past, and his end was not unexpected. Mr Talbot was born [14th September 1845] near Comstock, Devonshire, and came to New Zealand with his parents in 1862 in the ship Zealandia [Captain Foster]. Landing at Lyttelton on May 24th, 1862, he walked over the Port Hills to Christchurch. At that time the Lyttelton tunnel and the railway between Rolleston and Christchurch were being constructed. After spending two years working on farms in North Canterbury, the late Mr Talbot, in partnership with his younger brother, George, and his cousin (Mr J. T. Wright) took up land at Springston and later other land in the Selwyn district. The partnership was dissolved after a few years and Mr Talbot was engaged in 1865 on the West Coast opening up a road at Te Weka Pass. In 1867 he took up land at Rangitira Valley, a few miles out of Temuka, and had lived there ever since. His farm there has been added to from time to time, and in the early '70s also took up land at Fairlie, this being still occupied by members of his family. He was married in 1871, and had a family of twelve sons, ten of whom survive him, two having been killed in the Great War. The late Mr Talbot was an excellent farmer, of which calling he made a complete success. A man of great natural ability, he was one who believed it to be the duty of everyone to serve his fellows, and, over a long series of years, he unselfishly devoted more time to public affairs than to the advancement of his own interests. Until his retirement, a few years ago, Mr Talbot took a very active part in local politics. For nearly a quarter of a century he was a director of the C.F.C.A. and was chairman of directors for a series of years. Keenly interested in education, he was a very useful member of the South Canterbury Education Board and of the Timaru High School Board of Governors. For a long period, too, he filled the position of chairman of the South Canterbury Hospital Board, and he was also chairman for some years of the Geraldine County Council and of the Temuka Road Board. The farming community recognised in him one or the best friends they had, and from its inception he was an enthusiastic and very useful member of the Farmers' Union, and, until his retirement, he was president of the South Canterbury Executive of the Union. He was also for some years a member and chairman of the Timaru Harbour Board. A man of sterling quality of mind and heart, the late Mr Talbot was always looked up to with respect his advice on many public questions has been of inestimable value to his fellows, and South Canterbury will not soon look upon his like again.

The late Mr Talbot was twice married and had a family of twelve sons.

Temuka Leader 22 December 1923 Page 3
The late Mr Talbot was twice married and had a family of twelve sons. Two sons lost their lives in the Great War, and ten sons survive him — Messrs Chas. J. and George (Fairlie), Walter (Opuha), Percy and Christie (Clarermont), Leslie (Kakahu Road), Harry, Frank and Rangi (Rangitira Valley, and Dr. Leonard Talbot, (Timaru). Dr. Talbot is now on the voyage from England, via America, and is expected home on the 28th instant. Yesterday flags were flying half-mast mast over the Geraldine County Council and C.F.C.A. buildings.

On the corner of King and Dyson Streets, in Temuka, stands St Peter's Anglican church, erected in 1899. The east window is dedicated to John Talbot (1845-1923), who settled at "Woodlands" in the Rangitira Valley [now known as Waitohi], in 1869. All but one of his 12 sons became farmers, and his family name is woven through South Canterbury's farming and public life. Talbot was a stalwart on local bodies, aggregating 160 years of service. His lath-and-plaster homestead, enlarged and roughcast since it was built in about 1870, still stands and is still in the family (in Talbot Rd, off Waitohi Rd). The sanctuary windows are memorials to sisters, Christiana and Elizabeth, each the wife of John Talbot.  

Go to the Glory of God and in affectionate remembrance of John Talbot. Died Dec. 20th 1923 - aged 78 years. A family tribute.

A neighbour of the Talbot's said it was a wonderful sightseeing the ten sons in the front pew the day the church window dedicated to John and Elizabeth at St Peter's, Temuka.

Timaru Herald Wednesday December 20. 1871 page 2 Married
November 30, at St James's Church, Southbridge, by the Rev. W.J.G. Bluett, Mr John Talbot, of Temuka, to Christiana, eldest daughter of Mr John Smith, South road, Selwyn

Timaru Herald July 1889 Death
TALBOT - on the 26th July, at the residence Rangitira Valley, the wife of John Talbot. [Jr] 

Timaru Herald September 1890
TALBOT - SMITH. On September 3rd, at Gleniti, by the Rev. T.A. Hamilton. John Talbot, to Lillie [Elizabeth] Smith. 

John Talbot, J.P. Chairman of the Geraldine County Council, was born in Devonshire, England, on the 14th of September, 1845. He immigrated to New Zealand in company with his father and mother and the rest of the members of the family, in January, 1862, by the ship "Zealandia" (Captain Foster), and arrived in Lyttelton on the 24th of May. After about two years of farm work near Rangiora, in partnership with his brother George, and cousin, Mr. J.T. Wright, commenced farming at Springton and later in the Selwyn district. The partnership dissolved in 1869, Mr. Wright retaining the farm. Mr. Talbot, with his brother, removed to Temuka, and took up land at Rangitira Valley, where he has since resided; his brother buying land and settling near Timaru. In addition to the farm at Rangitira, Mr. Talbot has also had land at Fairlie, both places being devoted to the production of grain and sheep. He has taken an active part on local politics, and is at present chairman of the South Canterbury Hospital Board and Charitable Aid board, the Temuka Road Board, a member of the Board of Education, and of the High School Board of Governors; and is also chairman of directors of the South Canterbury Farmers' been twice married, and has a family of twelve sons.
Reference: Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Canterbury edition. Vol. 3 pages 872-879 Published 1903
J. Talbot, Waitohi Flat School Committee wrote to Provincial Secretary 1897

John Talbot of "Woodlands" / Malcolm J.R. (Malcolm James Rangi) Talbot. Available at the Temuka Library -In Stack. State Library of NSW.
Accompanied by genealogy table in separate folder showing ancestors and descendants of John Talbot (1845-1923). This booklet was published in 1969 by the Temuka Printing Company 140 King St. & is of 30 pages detailing the story of a man born in Culmstock, Devon in 1845 & died in 1923. He had eight sons with wife Christiana, & a further four with her sister Elizabeth following Christiana's death.  His parentage not known. "Woodlands" is on, appropriately, John Talbot Road, in the Waitohi region not too far from Temuka - turn at the sale yards and go over the Manse Bridge.

Gordon Ogilvie' book "Moonshine Country" also has more details on John Talbot, a dynamic individual.

Births				Mother			Father
1873 Talbot Charles John				     d. 1942 Fairlie	
1874 Talbot George William     				     d. 1936 Fairlie	
1875 Talbot `Not Recorded' 	Christina 		John  
1877 Talbot Arthur Ernest 	Christiana 		John d. 1917 Ypres, Belgium
1879 Talbot Leonard Smith 	Cristiana 		John d. 1961 Medical Practitioner
1884 Talbot Walter Henry 	Christiana 		John d. 1951 Opuha - Farmer 
1885 Talbot Leslie Victor 	Christina 		John d. 1964 Temuka 
1888 Talbot Percy Reginald 	Christiana 		John d. 1955 Claremont aged 67. Janet died 1985 aged 89.
1889 Talbot Christopher Mark 	Christiana 		John d. 1970 Claremont & Timaru - Farmer 
1891 Talbot Laurence Henry 	Elizabeth Eleanor 	John d. 1961, retired farmer, Rangitira Valley & Temuka 
1893 Talbot Basil Herbert 	Elizabeth Eleanor 	John d. 1915 Gallipoli
1894 Talbot Francis Matterson 	Elizabeth Elleanor	John d. 1944 Rangitira Valley nr Temuka - Farmer age 49
1896 Talbot Rangitira 		Elizabeth Eleanor 	John d. 1970 Timaru age 74, buried Temuka
1905 Susan Welsh 			Charles John Talbot 
1916 Olivia Anne Duncan 		Arthur Ernest Talbot 
1907 Emma Cooper 			Leonard Smith Talbot 
1911 Alice Maud Carter 			Walter Henry Talbot at St. David's Church, Raincliff. 
1912 Elsie Louisa Gapper 		Leslie Victor Talbot  
1917 Janet Park Morrison Marshall 	Percy Reginald Talbot 
1922 Agnes McCullough Marshall 		Christopher Mark Talbot 
1925 Elsie Hannah Victoria Abbott  	Lawrence Henry "Harry" Talbot - 3 sons - Basil, D. and G. 
1926 Evelyn Elizabeth Wyatt Young 	Rangitira "Rangi" Talbot 

Temuka Cemetery
Talbot John 1-4-1881, aged 61 [sic]
Talbot, Sarah , 18-4-1881, aged 65
Talbot, John, farmer, Waitohi, aged 78, 20 December 1923
Talbot, Christiana, 26-7-1889, aged 40
Talbot, Elizabeth Eleanor 28-6-1940, age 77 Rangitira Valley

TALBOT, Leslie Victor, "Longdowns"
Died March 28th 1964 age 78 years
and Elsie Louisa died March 6 1971 

TALBOT, Francis Matterson - WWI 6/4359, WWII H/G - Army
B Coy 2nd (SC) Regt. Enlisted at age 21 and 6 months Sept. 1915. Medical in Temuka by F.A. Scannell, Temuka 16 Dec. 1915. 5'9½ 150lbs. Farmer. Joined "C" Coy 11th Infantry. Wounded in France jaw & knee. Admitted Brockenhurst 21 Sept. 1916.  Discharged to Codford 7 Oct. 1916. Left for Sling 4 Dec. 1916. Marched for overseas 9 Dec. 1916.
    7 June 1917 wounded at Messines by HE Shell (high explosive). Admitted 53rd CCS. FB (foreign body) removed from under scapula. No. 2 N.Z. General Hospital, Walton-on-Thames. Chest wounds healed, mandible fractured left side. Mandible wired, Gutter splint. 10 Aug. 1917. Arterio venous aneurysm developed below right clavicle at the site of the wound, operated 17 Aug. 1917. 20 Aug. 1917. Jaw union good supplied with dentures. Damage to Brachial plexus still causing paralysis of muscles (of right foreman and hand) supplied by median and ulna nerves. Disability permanent. Discharged PU (permanently unfit). 11 Oct. 1917. Embarked for NZ 21 Nov. 1917 on Marama. Reported to Hanmer Convalescent Home 8th Jan. 1918. Discharged 28 March 1918. Died April 1st 1944 aged 49 years. Buried at Temuka. He never married. Lived with his brother Rangi and Rangi's wife.

Press, 5 April 1944, Page 6 MR F. M. TALBOT
The death occurred at Timaru recently of Mr Francis Mattinson (sic Matterson) Talbot. Mr Talbot was born at Rangitira Valley in (9th June) 1894. He was educated at the Temuka District High School and was employed by his father, the late Mr John Talbot, on his farm at Rangitira Valley. Shortly before the death of Mr John Talbot. Mr Frank Talbot took over a portion of the farm and continued to live with his brother, Mr Rangi Talbot, at "Woodlands." He volunteered for the last war and was wounded at the Somme and again at Messines. He was later invalided home.
    Mr Talbot was a member of the Geraldine County Council and the Geraldine River Board and was county representative on the Timaru High School Board. He was a member of the Temuka District Primary Production Committee, secretary of the Waitohi Patriotic Committee, president of the Waitohi sub-branch of the Red Cross Society, and chairman of the Waitohi Library Committee. He was a platoon commander in the Temuka Home Guard Company. Mr Talbot was not married. He was one of a family of 12 brothers, of whom seven survive him. They are Dr. L. S. Talbot (Timaru). Mr W. H. Talbot (Opuha. Pleasant Point), Mr L. V. Talbot (Kakahu road, Temuka), Mr P. R. Talbot (Claremont), Mr C. M. Talbot (Hadlow), Mr H. Talbot (Rangitira Valley), and Mr R. Talbot (Rangitira Valley).

Press, 21 December 1944, Page 1
HUFFAKER—TALBOT—On November 18. at St. Peter’s Church, Temuka, by the Rev. Canon A. H. Norris, Phyllis Mary, younger daughter of Mr and Mrs Leslie Talbot, "Longdowns,” Temuka, to Roy (U.S. Army), elder son of Mr and Mrs R. Huffaker, San Antonio, Texas.
SMITH—TALBOT—On May 19, at St. Peter’s Church, Temuka, by the Rev. W. Wisdom, Winsome Amy, elder daughter of Mr .and Mrs Leslie Talbot “Longdowns," Temuka, to Nigel Robert, second son of Mr and Mrs R. Smith, Hastings.

'Our farmers were very often the donors of stained glass.'
Below are two beautiful Whitefriar windows, made in London. Look for the logo bottom right hand corner. The one to the right has the initials R.G. Christina nee Smith was the first wife of John Talbot and Elizabeth the second. Both are sisters.

St. Peter's, Temuka. Photo taken in Nov. 2010 by M.T.   St. Peter's. Photo taken in Nov. 2010 by M.T.
To the Glory of God and in memory of Christina Talbot. Died 26th July 1889.
To the Glory of God and in memory of Elizabeth Eleanor Talbot. Died 28th June 1940.

Timaru Herald 5 April 1893 page 1Timaru Herald, 25 January 1886, Page 3 THE CROPS. The Waitohi
Driving out of Temuka, and taking the Waitohi road, I visited first of all Mr Benbow's Ladymore farm, on which there is 95 acres of wheat, and 45 of barley. All these crops are not heavy, and are not expected to yield more than 30 bushels to the acre. On the opposite side of the road Mr Arkwright has some good crop, and Mr McCullough's 40 acres of wheat and 50 of oats, are also in capital heart. Turning now up what was known in the old days as the Rangitira Valley Mr W. Cooke's farm, on which are 70 acres of Red Chaff wheat and 41 acres of oats —which to use Mr Cooke's own words are getting " fits" from the small birds — is passed, and farther on those of Messrs Jas. Wright and W. Lyon. I come now to Mr John Talbot's homestead. Here are 100 acres of oats and 50 of wheat. The former owing to being sown late are backward, but they should be none the worse for that, and should yield well. The land on the farm is heavy but not rich, and the crops generally come to great perfection if the season is at all propitious. On the farm feed is very plentiful, and all the fruit trees are heavily laden, even to the peach trees, which many gardeners, both amateur and professional, know to their cost have been anything but ordinarily prolific in this district of late years. The next farm is Mr William Wright's where I found all hands very busy in the harvest field. This farmer has 80 acres m wheat, 55 m oats and 40 in turnips. The wheat and oats are coming on first rate, especially the portions on the low lands. His brother (Mr Jas. Wright) whose farm is reached before Mr Jno. Talbot's, has 95 acres of wheat, which is an excellent crop, and will run fully 45 bushels to the acre, and 93 acres of oats, which will hardly thresh out so well as the wheat. Passing the farms of Messrs T. Braddock and T. Talbot, who have both oats and wheat growing, Mr Nicholson's homestead is met with This farmer has no crop m this season, but his next door neighbor, Mr Clarke, who lives right on the top of the downs, has about 100 acres of oats, which are filling out capitally and give every sign of a very fair yield. Going through a short cut by Dinder farm, and so on over the very top of the downs, Waitohi Flat proper is reached. The Flat, as seen from the top of the hills in the immediate background, presents a most pleasing sight. As far as the eye can reach is to be seen patches of crop, and the bright green and straw color of outs contrasts delightfully with the dull brown color of wheat. In the distance, to the left, is plainly seen the township of Temuka, the spire of the Roman Catholic church standing out in bold relief ; while close to the right is seen the township of Pleasant Point, and away to the southward the port and town of Timaru.

Timaru Herald, 2 May 1884, Page 2 SOUTH CANTERBURY EDUCATION BOARD.
The ordinary meeting of the South Canterbury Board of Education for the month was held yesterday. Present — Rev. G. Barclay (Chairman), Dr Foster, Messrs R. A. Barker, B. W. Goldsmith, G. G. Russell, John Talbot and E. Wakefield. The resignation had just been received of the master of the Waitohi school, Mr Campbell; the usual steps would be taken to fill the appointment. An additional pupil teacher had been appointed at the Timaru school, an increase in the attendance permitting it. A certificated female teacher had been appointed to the Silverstream aided school, and the school would be opened shortly. The Opihi aided school, after being closed for some months, had been again opened by the Committee, under Mrs Worthington, the teacher approved by the Board. 2 July 1886 From Mrs Worthington, tendering her resignation as mistress of the Opihi School.

Timaru Herald, 4 March 1887, Page 3
Mr Barclay moved, and Mr Smyth seconded: "That the following persons Miss Buck, Mesdames Ermet, Nelson, Worthington, and Mr Greenfield, be asked to submit what explanation they can offer for non-appearance at the late examination of teachers in December." The mover pointed out that all uncertificated teachers had been given timely notice last year . that they must present themselves for examination ; failing to do so they would forfeit their position.

Ashburton Guardian, 17 August 1911, Page 7
A hearty laugh was raised at a meeting of farmers in Timaru last Saturday, when Mr John Talbot, with a view to supporting what he had previously said against depending too much on book learning in farming, quoted from the May issue of the "Journal of the Department of Agriculture " to show that the best advice the Department's expert could give to a South Canterbury farmer who had asked a simple question, was, in effect, to look over his neighbour's fence and observe what was being done there.

Charles John Talbot, M.P.  (1873-1942)
Farmer of Fairlie; president of the South Canterbury Farmers' Union in 1913 (WWNZ 1925 ed)

In The Raincliff Story, by Dave Reynolds and Edward Parr, page 360-366 there is a section on "Tahuna" including photos of Charles and his wife Susan Talbot. Tahuna was sold off from Raincliff in 1877 to John Talbot. The place was gifted to Charlie and George in 1919 by their father. The house was on Spur Rd opposite the entrance to Reid Rd. Jack Smart was a teamster there for many years. George died in 1936, a bachelor and left his share of the property to Jack, his nephew, Charlie's only son. Charlie started off as a newspaper reporter so attended the Mackenzie Council Meetings regularly and reported on them.

Evening Post, 11 December 1914, Page 4 Papers Past WHO'S WHO
Mr. C. J. Talbot, the member for Temuka, was born at Rangitira Valley, near Temuka, in 1873 and was educated at private and public schools in Temuka and Timaru, finishing his scholastic career at the Timaru High School. Shortly after leaving school, in 1890, he went to Fairlie to take charge of a block of agricultural and pastoral country which his father had bought there, across the river from Fairlie, farmed as "Talbot Brothers" and he has lived at Fairlie ever since. He commenced to take part in local public affairs almost as soon as he went to Fairlie, and has taken a prominent part in them ever since, being associated with almost every local institution. He was one of the promoters of the Fairlie A. and P. Association, and he has been honorary treasurer to the association for the past ten years. He was president of The Show in 1904. For the past seven years he has been chairman of the Fairlie School Committee (he was chairman for 27 years), is secretary to the Fairlie Domain Board (later he was Chairman), and chairman of the Board of Managers of the Fairlie Technical Association. He is also president of the Fairlie branch of the Farmers' Union, as well as a member of the South Canterbury Executive of the Union, and holds a seat on the directorate of the Canterbury Farmers' Co-operative Association. He has given considerable time also to the work of friendly societies. He is one of the directors of the Fairlie Caledonian Society, and vice-president of the Fairlie Orchestral Society. Mr Talbot is a well read man, and takes an interest in journalistic work.

NZ Truth 8 January 1916, Page 5
C. J. TALBOT (Temuka's M.P,).
He knows how to plough and to sow,
And can garner the harvests that grow,
And though flowers of speech
Are out of his reach,
A wrinkle or two he can show
                    Those that blow,
In the House, of things they don't know.

Charles represented the Fairlie Riding on the Mackenzie County Council from 1920 to 1942, begin chairman from 1923 to 1933 and from 1935 to 1937 and Treasurer from 1907 until 1927 and again in 1942. He was a member of the South Canterbury Electric power Board 1924-32 and 1935-38.  A member of the Main highways Board and represented Temuka for eight years in Parliament.
Reference: Button, John and Leslie, Ray. Easter Monday in the High Lands, A Century of Mackenzie Highland Shows 1899 -1998. ISBN 0-473-005511-2. Published by the Mackenzie A & P Society, Fairlie 1998. 334pp Printed by Rangiora Print, 3 Blake St, Rangiora. Includes biographies of the past presidents with a photo of each.

In 1896 St. Stephen's Anglican Church in Fairlie was consecrated and a church committee was elected including C.J. Talbot. In 1902 Charlie employed a housekeeper for "Tahuna", Susie Walsh, the daughter of the Fairlie blacksmith, Mr Hubert and Mrs Welsh, whom he married 7th Sept. 1905. Charles played an enormous part in the church and district and his diaries record his regular assistance to the Sunday School with Miss Susan Welsh. Charles was licensed as a Lay Reader in 1899 and continued until his death in 1942 and in 1927 the People's Warden. Mrs Talbot had been President of the Guild, Sunday School teacher, organist and with her husband a very faithful church member. In the church there is a plaque in memory of Susan Talbot, given by the Women's Guild in 1938. There is a two light stained glass window, 'Christ and Children of Many Nations', with a plaque in memory of C.J. Talbot, his wife Susan and Brother G.E. Talbot, 1944 was paid for by public subscription, and was dedicated to their memory by Archbishop West-Warden who said "This window will help to keep fresh in our memory an outstanding personality of many sterling virtues." The sky in the window is very similar to work done by John W. Brock. Charles was a vestryman, churchwarden, lay reader and Sunday School Superintendent.
Reference: St Stephen's Anglican Church., Fairlie - One hundred years 1896-1996.

Susan (b. 1876) and Charlie had five children (one son & four daughters)						
1907 Talbot Christinna "Chrissie"  Ruth 	Susan 	Charles John 
1909 Talbot Hubert John 			Susan 	Charles John 

Evening Post, 3 January 1934, Page 11
The engagement is announced in an exchange of Mary, only daughter of Mrs. Frank Statham and the late Major Statham, of Maori Hill, Dunedin, and; niece of Sir Charles Statham, to Hubert John, only son of Mr. and Mrs. C. J. Talbot, "Tahuna," Fairlie.

Press, 16 January 1935, Page 2
Miss Marjorie Talbot, daughter of Mr and Mrs C. J. Talbot (Fairlie), has left for Christchurch to begin her training at the Public Hospital.

Evening Post 21 May 1936, Page 11
Timaru, This Day. The death occurred today after a lingering illness of Mrs. Susan Talbot, wife of Mr. C. J. Talbot, a member of the Main Highways Board and formerly M.P. for Temuka.

Evening Post, 26 March 1942, Page 9 Obituary Mr. C. J. TALBOT
Timaru, This Day. One of the best-known public men in the Dominion, Mr. Charles John Talbot, died at Fairlie yesterday, aged 69. Mr. Talbot's career covered a remarkable range of public activities. He was member of Parliament for Temuka from 1914 to 1918, and was chairman of the Counties' Association, a member of the Main Highways Board, the National Patriotic Council, chairman of the Timaru Man-power Committee, a past Grand Master of the Oddfellows' Lodge, a former chairman of the Mackenzie County Council, and he served on many other public bodies in South Canterbury. [The funeral left St. Stephen's Church, Fairlie at 2.30 p.m. March 27th. H. Welsh.]

C.J. Talbot, M.P., Tahuna, Fairlie, South Canterbury -
Drawing attention to increase of rabbits on Crown Lands Opuha riding, and suggesting employment of a rabbiter (William Shute) to destroy them 1916 1918
 C.J. Talbot, M.P., per Minister of Agriculture - Drawing attention to the increase of rabbits and Californian Thistles in his district -1918

Cemetery: FAIRLIE
Charles John TALBOT  Age: 68 years , Interment Date: 27/03/1942, Farmer
Susan TALBOT  Age: 60 years, Interment Date: 22/05/1936
George William TALBOT Age: 63 years. Interment Date: 1936. Occupation: Farmer. NOK:  C J TALBOT (Brother)   

Main St. Fairlie, Nov. 2011

Arthur E. Talbot (1877- 1917) explorer and mountaineer
Tramping the Routeburn and Hollyford before anyone.

Mount Talbot, Upper Hollyford Valley, above eastern entrance to Homer Tunnel to north. photo
The Grave Talbot Track from Milford to Lake Wakatipu
The Grave Talbot Pass, Talbot Glacier

The Homer Saddle area is amazing in a heavy downpour. Nov. 2009. On the west side of the Homer Saddle. Waterfalls everywhere. Rain or sunshine a great view.

Colonist, 21 January 1910, Page 1
Mr. Wm G. Grave (of Oamaru) and. Mr. A. Talbot (of Greymouth, a schoolmaster) reached Invercargill on Thursday night, after achieving one of the greatest successes in the exploration of the West Coast Sound recorded in recent years. They discovered a direct route from Milford to Wakatipu. Attempts to solve this difficult problem have been made frequently, and in the early nineties William Quill lost his life in trying to find a practicable way. Messrs. Gray and Talbot found the stump of a pole erected by Quill on Homer Saddle, bearing the initials of the ill-fated explorer. The party (which included Mr A. Little, of Gore) set out from Wakatipu on 21st December. At the head of Lake Marian, on a branch of the Hollyford, a splendid waterfall descends into the valley from a height of 600ft to 700ft. Judging the route impracticable, they returned, and proceeded to the head of the Hollyford, and reached Homer Saddle, in a heavy downpour. From Quill's Saddle they climbed the next day. Milford Sound could be seen a few miles off. The descent appearing too precipitous, the party returned to Homer Saddle, and ascended a high peak to the west, making their way down towards the Cleddau, on the Milford side. The following day, leaving Mr. Little (who was indisposed), Messrs. Grave and Talbot once more ascended the saddle and by nightfall had almost reached the Cleddau. After waiting several hours the next morning, the mist cleared, and they continued their journey, and got to Milford the same afternoon. The track gives the shortest, most direct, and most interesting route from Queenstown to Milford passing through the finest scenery in the district. It will not prove extremely laborious, but will be practicable to active people. It will be necessary for some time, however, that tourists should be accompanied by a guide. 

Second Lieutenant Arthur Talbot 
War World War I 	1914-1918 
Serial No.: 		14037 photo of Greymouth
First Known Rank: 	Second Lieutenant 
Occupation before Enlistment: School teacher 
NOK: 			Mrs A. Talbot (wife), c/o of W.H. Talbot, Opupa, Pleasant Point 
S/O John and Emily [sic] Talbot, of Temuka; husband of Olivia Anne Talbot, of 55A, Evans St., Timaru.
Body on Embarkation: 	New Zealand Expeditionary Force 
Embarkation Unit: 	19th Reinforcements Otago Infantry Battalion, D Company 
Embarkation Date: 	15 November 1916 Wellington 
Last Unit Served: 	Canterbury Infantry Regiment 
Place of Death: 	Ypres, Belgium 
DOD: 			12 October 1917 
Age: 			41
Cause of Death: 	KIA 
Memorials: 		Tyne Cot Memorial N.Z. Apse, Panel 2.
			Lower Waitohi War Memorial
			Timaru Memorial Wall 
                        Temuka War Memorial	
			Temuka RSA Roll of Honour
			Timaru Boys High School War Memorial (Library)	

Dr Leonard Smith Talbot (1879-1961) an ophthalmologist
MB ChB NZ 1903, MRCS LRCP 1903, DPH Cam 1904, FRCS 1905. Regd 27 April 1903: Timaru.  He was the fourth son of Mr and Mrs J. Talbot of Rangitira Valley. He attended Temuka High School and Timaru Boys High School and the University of Otago where in 1902 he graduated as M.B., Ch.B. In his final year of medical study he was awarded the Lindo Fergusson Prize for the most outstanding student in eye, ear and throat studies. .
Over a period of 55 years, first as a general practitioner and later as a ENT specialist, he became widely known to thousands of patients. A year as house surgeon at the Timaru Public Hospital was followed by further study in England where he gained a diploma in public health at Cambridge University and a fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons from London University. After private practice in Timaru in partnership with the late Dr Gabites between the years 1906 and 1913 he returned to London to make a special study if ear, eye, nose and throat conditions. Early in 1915 he established himself in Timaru as a specialist and in this capacity carried on his practice until his retirement three years before his death. Married Emma Cooper in 1907.
    A foundation member of the South Canterbury Branch of the British Medical Association. Dr. Talbot also had the distinction of being invited to become a fellow of the Royal Australian College of Surgeons when it was founded. From 1926 to 1946 he was the EENT specialist at the Timaru Public Hospital. In 1923 and again in 1932 he made further visits to Vienna and the United Kingdom to further his studies.
    Volunteering for military service, [even though he was in his sixties,] at the start of the Second World War, Dr. Talbot, 62962, was sent in 1940 with the Eight Brigade [and the third Division] to the Pacific and helped establish hospitals in Fiji, New Caledonia, and the Solomon Islands. [His oldest son Jim returned from specialist training in the UK to look after his practice.] In 1943 he returned to NZ with the rank of major but two years later at the request of the Director of medical Services he again went to Fiji where he in conjunction with another medical officer he made a special investigation of epidemic eye disease, a work which earned high commendation.
    Prior to his retirement from practice Dr. Talbot was chairman of the Timaru Public Hospital staff committee. He was also in 1936 the first chairman of the Board of Directors of the Timaru Private Hospital.
    Dr. Talbot was a member of the South Canterbury Tree Planting Association and was a prime mover in preserving the area now known as the Waitohi Scenic Reserve. He was also a foundation member of the Barkas Club and a member of the South Canterbury Historical Society, the Timaru Rotary Club, Returned Services; Association and the Royal Overseas League, and the Readers' play-reading group. He is survived by his wife, and two sons, Dr. K.J. and A.N. Talbot of Timaru and New Plymouth respectively, and by a daughter, Mrs A.S. Copland of Esk Valley . There are eleven grandchildren. (Obit. The Timaruvian, April, 1962, page121.)
Born 26 October 1879 the in Rangatira Valley, South Canterbury. Educated Timaru HS & Temuka School 1894. Regd in UK 24 June 1904. PG studies at the London Hosp and at King’s College Hosp, London. Served in WWII. EENT specialist in Timaru where he died 13 Sept. 1961 aged 81. Father of Drs Arthur N Talbot (regd 1942) MB ChB NZ 1941 and Kenneth James Talbot b. 1910, MB Ch.B., NZ 1935 DOMS(Lond.), FRCS(Edin.), 30 Church Street, Timaru. (See his obit NZMJ 1981:94:194).
Kenneth James "Jim" Talbot born 1910.  He was delivered by Alice M. Bowman, R.N., the first Plunket Nurse in Timaru. He was known as Jim. Dr Jim Talbot died in 1981.  Jim attended Main School in 1916- 1918 and entered Claremont school  3 March 1918.  He lived at 55A Evans St. not far from the bay, three of his children below.
                 Arthur Newton Talbot (1917-2008) 2nd s/o Leonard S. Talbot b. 9 Sept. 1917. After war service in Senigallia, Italy, he undertook a year of specialty training at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital, where he gained the Melbourne Diploma in Ophthalmology. He did 3000 cataracts in his 48 years in New Plymouth and said "I  got no better as I got older." He was a modest man. He became an ENT Surgeon at Timaru Hospital. Arthur pursed ophthalmology and practised in New Plymouth. Reference: Eye Surgeons and Surgery in NZ  


27 March 2008 Timaru Herald by Tracey Chatterton
Dr Talbot has left South Canterbury. Ken Talbot's departure ends over 100 years of continuous medical registration of a Dr Talbot in South Canterbury. Ken was the third Dr Talbot to serve the region after his grandfather Dr Leonard Talbot, and father Dr Jim Talbot. Ken's grandfather Leonard was the only son of a South Canterbury farmer to choose a career in medicine. Talbot Park was named after Leonard's father who was chairman of the hospital board when the hospital was built. Leonard registered as a medical practitioner at his Church St address in about 1903 and went on to specialise in ears, nose, throat and eyes. As a boy, Ken went around the wards of Timaru hospital with his grandfather. He's never forgotten the strong smell of carbolic and disinfectant that filled the large wards. Two of Leonard's sons followed him into the medical profession, one of whom was Jim who also became an ears, nose, throat and eyes specialist and practised at Church Street from the 1940s to 1970s. Ken said it was a natural progression to go into medicine, however he deviated and chose a career in family medicine. When he started as a GP in Timaru a patient told him that she had been delivered by his grandfather. "It was quite embarrassing." Ken said there was a high chance that most of South Canterbury had been treated by his grandfather or father in their day. He laughed that he too had been treated by both Dr Talbots. His grandfather took his tonsils out when he was a boy but they grew back and Ken's father had to remove them a second time. Ken enjoyed getting to know people and their families while working as a GP. He had about 2500 people on his books. He worked as a GP in Timaru from 1970 to 1989 until suffering a stroke at just 49. Since then he has focused on pushing the interests of the disabled. Joining the South Canterbury Stroke Foundation was his first step in becoming more active about disability affairs. He went on to be president of the association and is also on the national committee for the Disabled Persons Assembly, working to make society more accessible to those with a disability. Ken still had a connection to medicine with his daughter Sally working as a GP in Wellington, and his son Michael a University Surgeon in Sydney. Timaru had been a pleasant place to work, and it will always be home, he said. But he and his wife had moved Wellington to be closer to family. "It's the end of an era." Combined they served the South Canterbury area for more than 100 years.  

Evening Post, 5 January 1904 p. 5 – Dr Talbot, who has been for some time assistant medical officer at the Timaru Hospital, has left that institution in order to go to London to gain there a larger experience in the practice of his profession.

New Zealand in the Pacific War: Personal Accounts of World War II By Bruce M. Petty
Dr Arthur Newton Talbot was born on 9th  September 1917 in Timaru Mb ChB, DO, FRACS; Captain 2nd NZEF, NZMC, WW2. No. 299280, [died 2nd Feb. 2008. Obit.], the second son of Leonard Talbot who became the ENT specialist at Timaru Hospital. Arthur went to medical school in Dunedin and at Christchurch hospital qualified as a medical doctor in 1940, also specialised in ENT. He worked at Timaru Hospital for a year and obtained an appointment at Wellington Hospital in 1941. He was the medical doctor with the Third NZ division during WW2.  Talbot's father was one of twelve children. He loss two brothers in WWI, one at Gallipoli and another at Passchendale. Talbot Sr. was a major with the NZ 3rd Division at age 64 and ill health forced him to return to NZ from New Caledonia. Talbot Sr. also had another son in the army. Arthur married in September 1944 while on a two week leave and before being sent to reinforce the 2nd Division in the Middle East. Arthur said the Pacific was won by the conquest of malaria. "We had very strict malaria control - long sleeves, no washing after sunset." In 1947 Arthur Talbot moved to New Plymouth.

Arthur attended Timaru BHS, before going to medical school in Dunedin. After graduating, Arthur worked as a house surgeon in Wellington and Timaru in 1940 and 1941, before enlisting in the army to join his father and elder brother who had preceded him. Initially in the islands campaigns, Arthur found time to return briefly to NZ and marry Margaret Mitchell in 1944, before being posted to Seniglia, Italy to join the New Zealanders during that intense battle up Italy to Florence and the final German capitulation. After the war Arthur did postgraduate study in Melbourne, achieving his diploma in ophthalmology, and completing the FRACS, before coming to New Plymouth with his family in 1947 to the post of Eye and ENT Specialist for Taranaki. Died 2 Feb. 2008 NZMJ 18 April 2008, Vol 121 No 1272; ISSN 1175 8716 He enjoyed the outdoors- rhododendrons and fishing.

Australasian medical gazette: the journal of the Australasian ..., Volume 26 April 1907
Talbot, Leonard Smith, M.B., Ch. B. Univ. N.Z. 1903, to be Public Vaccinator for the Timaru District.
Unwin, William Howard, M.R.C.S. (Eng.) I.R.C.P. (Lond.) M.B., Ch. B. etc. to be Public Vaccinator for the district of Timaru, vice Dr Hogg resigned.

Australasian medical gazette: the journal of the Australasian ..., Volume 26 April 1907
Talbot, Leonard Smith, M.B., Ch. B. Univ. N.Z. 1903, to be Public Vaccinator for the Timaru District.

Evening Post, 16 May 1939, Page 14 TIMARU BRIDEGROOM. The marriage took place last week at Lothian Road Church, Edinburgh, of Dr. Kenneth James Talbot, elder son of Dr. and Mrs. L. S. Talbot, of Timaru, and Miss Helen Ainslie Jardine, elder daughter of the late Mr. William Jardine and of Mrs. Jardine, Shielmohr, Frogston Road, Edinburgh. The Very Rev. Dr. R. J. Drummond officiated. The bride, who was given away by her elder brother, wore a gown of white satin, and her white net veil was held in place by a wreath of lilies of the valley. Her bouquet also was of lilies of the valley. The bridesmaids were Miss Margaret Kerr and Miss Jean Macleod, who wore dresses of mauve-pink, and carried bouquets of carnations. The best man was Mr. David Jardine. A reception was held at the Charlotte Rooms, Edinburgh. The honeymoon was spent motoring in the Lake District, and on May 9. Dr. and Mrs. Talbot will sail for New Zealand, via Cape Town.

Walter Henry Talbot (1884-1951)

John Talbot's property at Temuka, the Woodlands, included Hanging Rock which his son Walter managed.
Walter Henry TALBOT 
Age at Death: 67 Years
Date of Interment: Thursday, 25 October 1951
Pleasant Point Cemetery
Alice Maud died 23 March 1958 age 76
Their daughter Dorothy Elizabeth Talbot died Blenheim 28 Oct. 2001 aged 81 years.

On 1st June 1911 Walter Henry Talbot married Alice Maud CARTER, eldest d/o D.T. Carter of Rockpool, Raincliff at St. David's, Raincliff. Wally was educated  Rangatira Valley & Temuka D.H.S. He worked on his father's farm until 1907 when his father purchased 800 acres at Hanging Rock and made him manager. He took over the farm in 1919. He farmed there until he retired in 1950 but continued to live their at Opuha. Died at home on 23 Oct. 1951 aged 67 and is buried at Pleasant Point. The funeral for Mr Talbot was a large one and the bearers were Messrs L. Gray (churchwarden), A.J. Davey (chairman of the Geraldine County Council), W. J. Hart (Opihi Rabbit Board) and L.S., L.V., and C.M. Talbot (brothers). He was a church warden and Vestryman at St. David's for 30 years. The carved mahogany alter was given in his memory in 1952. In 1934 the pulpit, bell and bell turret were given by the Carter family in memory of their parents, Mr and Mrs David Taylor Carter of Rockpool, who were associated with the church from its inception.  Walter was chairman of the Opihi Rabbit board, member of Pioneer Park Board for three years and member of the Geraldine County Council 1947-1951. Walter died 23rd Oct. 1951 and Alice died 23rd March 1958. Both are buried at Pleasant Point with with daughter Dorothy. Children - Alan D. and Dorothy E.  

Alan David Talbot, OBE, J.P. (Retired), 415961, Sgt., RNZAF, WW2
d. 22 May 2012. A service to celebrate Alan’s life was held at St. Alban’s Anglican Church, Munro St, Pleasant Point on Monday, May 28, followed by private cremation. Donations to the St. Marys Church Restoration Fund.

14 July 2012 Timaru Herald A life of tireless community work
Timaru's Alan Talbot, who was at the forefront of South Canterbury local authority amalgamation in the early 1970s, has died. He was 94. Mr Talbot was made an Officer of the British Empire (OBE) in 1979 for services to local government. Born in Timaru in 1917, Mr Talbot attended school at Hazelburn and Waitaki Boys High, while an interest in ham radio led him to enlisting with the Royal New Zealand Air Force as a radar mechanic, serving in Northland, Norfolk Island and in the United Kingdom during World War II. It was during his stint at a small base in Cornwall that he met his wife, Amy ("Ginny"). He returned to the farm after the war but became increasingly involved in local government, beginning with his election to the Geraldine County Council in 1951. His influence as a councillor led to him being elected chairman in 1961, and in 1974 he became the chairman of the Strathallan County Council, formed from the merger of the Geraldine and Levels councils. Mr Talbot helped drive the merger. In a 1980 interview with The Timaru Herald, he was adamant about the amalgamation's benefits. "I am sure the ratepayers of the Strathallan County now enjoy a much higher standard of service, and at less cost, than would have been the case if the two counties had remained as separate entities," he said. His defeat ended a 29-year term as the councillor for Kakahu riding, a period that also saw him elected as national chairman of the Counties Association, and a member of the National Roads Board. At the time of his defeat, he told The Timaru Herald that perhaps he would have more time to "relax", but Mr Talbot subsequently became heavily active in several community organisations and government boards. He became chair of the Pesticides Board (which oversaw the sale of all plant and insect pesticides in the country), became the ministerial appointment to the Historic Places Trust, and in 1985 was a founding member of the Timaru Civic Trust, whose first major success was the retention of the Landing Services building. Stepping down from the national Historic Places Trust board in 1996, he remained involved with the South Canterbury branch until last year. Other voluntary work included involvement with the South Canterbury Conservation Trust, while he served as a justice of the peace for more than 50 years. His tireless work saw him awarded a number of commendations: in 2001, he was awarded the Timaru District Community Award for outstanding voluntary service, while in 2005, he received the Heritage Award from the Historic Places Trust.

Amy Talbot C.B.E. b. 11 June 1921 at Escrick, Yorkshire and died 3 March 2004 and is buried at Pleasant Point.

Percy Reginald Talbot (1888-1955)

Percy Reginald TALBOT
Age at Death 67
Died Sept. 7th 1955 aged 67
Date of Interment Friday, 9 September 1955
Timaru Cemetery
and his wife Janet Park Morrison died 28th April 1985, aged 89 years

He farmed at Kingborough, Taiko Rd, a beautiful property in the Claremont district. The farm had been in the family since 1904. Children:
John Douglas Talbot
Jean Kelland
Sarah Margaret Talbot
Edwin Kelland Talbot obtained the age of 21 15th Sept. 1953. Married Pamela.

Christopher Mark Talbot (1889-1970)

War World War I		1914-1918 
Serial No.: 		27392 
First Known Rank: 	Private 
Occupation before Enlistment: Farmer 
Next of Kin: 		John Talbot (father), Temuka
Body on Embarkation: 	New Zealand Expeditionary Force 
Embarkation Unit: 	17th Reinforcements, J Company 
Embarkation Date: 	25 September 1916 
Place of Embarkation: 	Wellington, NZ 

Christopher Mark Talbot
Address: 4/ 20 Selwyn St. Timaru
Age at Death: 80
Date of Interment: Tuesday, 7 July 1970
Timaru Cemetery
Also Agnes McCullough "Nancy" Talbot died 24th July 1968 age 69 years
and daughter Alison died May 25 1942, aged 18 years  

Basil Herbert Talbot (1893-1915)

Private Basil Herbert Talbot 
Serial No.: 		6/1734 photo
NOK: 			John Talbot (father), Temuka
S/o John and Elizabeth Talbot, of Woodlands, Temuka.
Marital Status: 	Single 
Enlistment Address: 	Rangitira Valley, Temuka
Body on Embarkation: 	3rd Reinforcements 
Embarkation Unit: 	Canterbury Infantry Battalion N.Z.E.F.
Embarkation Date: 	14 February 1915 
POD: 			Gallipoli, Turkey 
DOD: 			7 August 1915 
Cause of Death: 	KIA 
Memorials: 		Chunuk Bair (NZ) Memorial
			Lower Waitohi War Memorial
			Timaru Memorial Wall   

TALBOT, Private whose death was announced on Saturday, was a brother of Mr C. J. Talbot, MP for Temuka; Dr Talbot, Timaru; and Mr A. E. Talbot, one of those who discovered the overland track between Lake Te Anau and Milford Sound. [AWN 02.09.1915]

Poverty Bay Herald, 31 August 1915, Page 4
Basil H. Talbot whose name appeared on Saturday in the list of New Zealanders killed in action, was the tenth son of Mr John Talbot, Temuka, and was 22 years of age. He was born, at Temuka and received his education at the Temuka District High School, where he matriculated. While at school he was prominent in the athletic field, taking a particularly keen interest in both cricket and football. After leading school he went to work on his father's farm, Rangitira Valley. He entered into the territorial work, with great zest, and when, war broke out he was very anxious to get to the front. He would not rest contented until he was accepted for the third reinforcements. Private Talbot was a brother of Mr C.J. Talbot, (M.P. for Temuka), Dr. Talbot (Timaru), and Mr A.E. Talbot, one of those who discovered the overland track between Lake Te Anau and Milford Sound.

The plaque below Elizabeth's window at St. Peter's, Temuka. Nov. 2010 M.T.

Timaru Herald, 6 July 1918, Page 4 MILITARY APPEAL BOARD.
Walter Henry Talbot (Mr Walton), farmer, Opuha said he owner 369 acres of wheat-bearing land, and he managed 800 acres of another place. He was preparing land for 50 acres of spring wheat. He had eleven brothers. One was at the front, one had been killed on Galliopli, one killed at Passchendale, one had returned wounded, one, a C2 brother, was on 2000 acres, two others (C2men), were working on his father's farm, one was married and had 1300 acres, one was on 600 acres, one was on 650 acres, and one was a doctor, who had volunteered but was requested to remain in his present occupation. The. family grew 500 acres of wheat last-year.— Adjourned sine die.

Harry and Elsie Talbot
In 1925 Lawrence Henry "Harry" Talbot married Elsie Hannah Victoria Abbott. They took over the Woodlands, Waitohi and continued farming in the district and supported St. Peter's in Temuka. They had three sons - Basil, D. and G.

St. Peter. photo taken by M. Nov. 2010.
St. Peter

To the Glory of God and in memory of Laurence Henry Talbot 1891 - 1961
To the Glory of God and in memory of Elsie Hannah Victoria Talbot 1901 - 1982


Your Name

It came from your father,
It was all he had to give,
So it’s yours to cherish
As long as you may live.

If you lose the watch he gave you,
It can always be replaced,
But a black mark on your name, son,
Can never be erased.

It was clean the day you took it,
And a worthy name to bear,
When I got it from my father,
There was no dishonour there.

So make sure you guard it wisely –
After all is said and done,
You’ll be glad the name is spotless,
When you give it to your son.

South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project