Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024. At that time, all logins will be disabled, but hosted sites will remain on RootsWeb as static content. Website owners wishing to maintain their sites must migrate to a different hosting provider before 2024 (More info)
"Huntress" arrived Lyttelton, N.Z.  April 1863


A protracted monotonous voyage -  130 days from London to Lyttelton.

William Keay wrote a "Extracts from the Reminiscences of W.R. Keay," and it was turned into weekly series, published in the Timaru Herald in 1959.
On board the Huntress. After a few days of fine weather the good humour and pleasing anticipations of all were restored. Crossing the Bay of Biscay, the great height of the waves and the valley like wide spaces between were a source of much wonder. The wind continued favourable to within near the equator, where the ship was becalmed for about two weeks. The intensity of the heat was an uncomfortable experience. A 15ft shark was caught. The boats had to be used to tow the ship into clear water. The first mate was popular but the captain and some of the other officers were not. That was the origin of a quarrel with menacing possibilities between the officers, crew and some of the young men, who absolutely refused to accept the nauseous favours of Neptune and his satellites. The lower deck between decks was crowded with men, one of whom was grabbed by the sailors and a fierce struggle ensured, the body and the legs of the young fellow being cruelly handled before the men completely over powered the sailors. Many of the combatants were badly bruised and their clothing torn or stripped from their bodies. The crew was deprived of the fun expected and were not in an amiable mood. The tactless captain, instead of allowing the dispute to cease, ordered the men down in their quarters, saying as they would not join in the sport to allow themselves to be plunged overhead in a vile, evil smelling liquid and then shaved with a formidable bar of iron with cruelly jagged edges, he would not allow them to look at others doing so. But the men refused to go below. Two brothers had many shotguns and much ammunition and the captain trained a cannonade on them threatening to blow them to Hades. A few of the men brought up the firearms and defied the captain, virtually holding possession of the ship, until the first mate, who had previously interfered with the passengers, spoke in a kindly but determined manner to the men, who at once put away their weapons.
    Days after leaving the equator, a terrible cyclone was encountered. The ship was hove to and shipped many seas, smashing boast and parts of the cooks' galley. The passengers were all locked in their quarters, but William saw the mountainous waves and the sea white with foam. After the furious wind ceased the sea became quite calm, and a wonderful and appealing spectacle ensued. The surface of the sea was quite smooth, dark blue and had an oily appearance. There were no undulations. Everywhere the water was rising vertically in huge cone-shaped heaps, then falling exactly to their base. The good ship's timbers were creaking dismally, and also began to leak. The ship reared almost perpendicularly bows or stern up or down, also rolling sideways, and all ways, in a most alarming manner. Only the ship's structure and the materials were excellent, she must have foundered. That was the opinion of the officers and crew, many of whom had had the experience of many years on the ocean. A new foremast had to be erected. A fair wind came and the turbulent waters soon regained their natural form. Rapid progress was made to the south, in favourable weather at night.
    But the voyage was becoming monotonous when crossing the southern sea, only varied by singing and dancing. The English concertina was the only musical instrument on the ship. There was a pugilistic encounter with bare fist between a little man and a big man, and fought in the good old English way to allow the weakest to have a sporting chance. The combat ended in a draw.
    With one or two exceptions the passengers were a superior class, agreeing well together. There was much discontent about the way victuals were cooked. The chief cook was a surly tempered individual, and would persist in boiling the salt junks and the duffs in a mixture of sea and fresh water. getting no redress from the captain or the officers, the men approached the cook about the matter, and the dispute culminated in a fray in which the cook gave one of the men a very serious wound near the eye with a long fork. He was instantly seized and plunged head down into a big cask nearly full of slimy grease. His reappearance from the slimy depths greeted with shrieks of laughter. He became mentally  affected and had to be confirmed until the voyage ended.
    A new lifeboat was aboard for Timaru, also agricultural implements, but a fierce southerly storm prevented the ship from approaching the roadstead, and was then, and many years after, worked with surf boats. Two or three days afterwards the ship's anchor was dropped inside Lyttelton Heads. Many of the passengers were much affected at parting.
    The captain was summoned for exceeding his duty in some instances; also for cruelty. Some five sailors slipped down the bowsprit and swarm safely ashore. They were lucky as the ship left Lyttelton for Callao and disappeared. One single man died from exhaustion when climbing the Port Hills, another was killed a day or two afterwards after being dragged by a horse.

From The Lyttelton Times April 22 1863

The Huntress, Captain Barrow, arrived yesterday evening after a protracted passage.  Left 10th December 1862. On leaving London, she experienced very, heavy weather in the channel, and only reached the line after the very long interval of 60 days.  At the Cape she again met contrary winds, and during a heavy gale sprung the foremast badly, losing top-gallant mast and gear.  After leaving the Cape, the Huntress enjoyed favourable winds, making the coast of New Zealand in 32 days.  Attempted to go into Timaru on Sunday, but a heavy south-easter coming on, had much difficulty in beating off shore, and brings all her passengers to Lyttelton.  Two births have occurred on the voyage, and 15 deaths, all children with the exception of one young women aged 17 and a boy belonging to the ship.

Lyttelton Times, 2 May 1863, Page 4
The Lady Bird sailed yesterday at half-past 4 with the passengers per Huntress for Timaru. She had the new life boat in tow.
Sailed May 1, s.s. Lady Bird, 220 tons, Renner, for Dunedin via Akaroa, Timaru, and Oamaru. Passengers for Akaroa: Messrs. Pentridge and Middleton. For Timaru Messrs. Pilbrow (3), Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Mr. and Mrs. Hughes, Mr. and Mrs. Russell, Miss Chapman, Miss Ellis, Miss Campbell, Messrs. Whitford, Tippitt, Fieldhouse, Whittaker, Winter, Proctor, Campbell, Russell, Benbow, and family. For Dunedin: Mr. and Mrs. M'Donald, Mrs. M'Queen, Messrs. Wright, Chapman, Pike, Buchanan.

Lyttelton Times, 16 May 1863, Page 4
Timaru. The Lady Bird, s.s., 220 tons, Renner, from Lyttelton, arrived at Tirnaru early on Saturday morning, May 2. She brings the life-boat, so long expected, and the passengers come down are all from the Huntress, viz., Mr. and Mrs. Pilbrow, Mr. Whitford, Mr. Lippett and child, Miss Ellis, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Messrs. Whitaker, Winter, Proctor, Mr. and Mrs. Russell, Mr. and Mrs. Hughes and 5 children, Mr. Campbell, Mr. Russell, Mr. and Mrs. Benbow and family, Mrs. Fieldhouse, Miss Chapman, Miss Campbell. We understand the Lady Bird is likely to make Timaru a regular port of call. She sailed again about noon.

Original passenger list images online. Browse Canterbury 1863

Lyttelton Times, 7 March 1863, Page 4 Passenger list
Lyttelton Times, 22 April 1863, Page 4 Passenger list

Lyttelton Times, 25 April 1863, Page 4 SHIPPING INTELLIGENCE.
LYTTELTON arrived April 21, ship Huntress, 776 tons, Capt. J.O. Barrow, from London.
Passengers Cabin:
Mr Ainsworth
Mr Cook
Mr Hoggard
Rev. Francis Tripp

Second Cabin:
Mr Bonnington
Mr Bound
Mr Butterworth
Mr and Mrs Dickson and two children
Miss Ellis
Mr Hamilton
Mr Jeffries
Mr Keny [sic Keay] [William Robert Keay and his older brother John Alexander Keay were sent out on the Huntress]
Mr Lane
Mr and Mrs. Lippett
Dr E. H. Marshall (surgeon)
Mr Milns
Mr Murphy
Mr E. and Mrs Pilbrow
Mr Russell
Mr and Mrs Russell
Mr and Mrs Smith and son
Mr Spridgeon
Mr Stokes
Mr Wedderspoon
Mr Whiteford
Mr Woodhouse
also Government immigrants equal to 222 statute adults.

Totals- Adults, 191; children and infants, 87.  278 souls; equal to 222 adults.
Columns represent: Surname, first name, spouse present, Y is wife,  number of children, occupation, origin and remarks.

Abbott      Wal.            Laborer           Dorestshire         
Allen       James           Ploughman         Aberdeenshire       
Bawdew      John       	25  Farm Laborer      Cornwall
Bawdew	    Mary Ann	21  
Bawdew	    Nicholas	    infant	          
Benbow      Wm.    36 Y  5  Laborer         Salop               
Bishop      Beniah          Farm Laborer      Salop               
Black       Thos.           Ploughman         Fyfeshire           
Blair       George    Y     Laborer           Cavan
Blake       Agnes   21      Domestic Servant  Edinburgh 	wife of Robert
Blake       John   23   Y  2 Farm Laborer     Edinburgh
Blake       Margt.          Domestic Servant  Edinburgh  	wife of John        
Blake       Robert    Y  2  Farm Laborer      Edinburgh 
Blake	    Agnes    27     Domestic Servant  Edinburgh 	single women
Blake       Margaret 25     Domestic Servant  Edinburgh 	single women    
Blyth       Andrew    Y  1  Ploughman         Stirlingshire       
Boulton     Sophia      20  Domestic Servant  Salop               
Brown       J.        Y     Carpenter         Lanarkshire         
Burdett     Chas.     Y  3  Laborer           Leicestershire      
Butler      John            Farm Laborer      Limerick            
Campbell    Jas.            Laborer           Down                
Campbell    Rose J.      21 Domestic Servant  Down                
Carleton    John      Y  1  Farm Laborer      Antrim
Chapman     Ann       28    Domestic Servant  Durham
Chapman     Mary Jane 23    Domestic Servant  Durham              
Chapman     Thos.           Laborer           Durham              
Church      Chas.           Farm Laborer      Somersetshire       
Church      Henry           Farm Laborer      Somersetshire       
Clapham     Ann             Domestic Servant  Durham              
Clapham     Mary Jane       Domestic Servant  Durham              
Clement     Mesh.     Y  1  Farm Laborer      Somersetshire       
Craw        David     Y  3  Farm Laborer      Lanarkshire         
Craw        Elizabeth   12  Domestic Servant  Lanarkshire
Craw        Ellen       15  Domestic Servant  Lanarkshire         
Craw        Margaret    16  Domestic Servant  Lanarkshire         
Craw        Robt.           Farm Laborer      Lanarkshire         
Craw        Robt.     Y  2  Farm Laborer      Lanarkshire         
Cutler      John      41  4 Shoemaker         Sussex  
Culter 	    Mary Ann   40   wife              Sussex
Cutler      Sarah Ann  13   Domestic Servant  Sussex              
Cutler      Susannah   16   Domestic Servant  Sussex 
Cutler      Nichab jno 8         	      Sussex 
Cutler      Sophia 7             	      Sussex 
Cutler      Eliza A.J. 5         	      Sussex 
Cutler	    Mary J.    3       		      Sussex     
Dalzele     Jas.            Farm Laborer      Down                
Dalziel     Jas.      Y  3  Smith             Lanarkshire         
Dawe        Emma         17 Domestic Servant  Somersetshire      age 17 
Dewer       Wm.             Ploughman         Perthshire          
Duncan      John      Y  1  Shepherd          Aberdeenshire       
Durubrake   John            Ploughman         Forfarshire         
Evans       Mary Ann    40  Dairywoman        Montgomeryshire     
Fieldhouse  Ann         27  Domestic Servant  Yorkshire           
Fowler	    Joseph  27      Carpenter	      Middlesex
Fowler	    Louisa 25       wife      	      Middlesex
Fowler	    Charlotte L. 1      	      Middlesex
Fowler	    Walter infant		      Middlesex
Forrest     John            Shepherd          Midothian           
Forward     Emma            Domestic Servant  Wiltshire           
Forward     Jas.            Laborer           Wiltshire           
Gibb        Alex.           Farm Laborer      Aberdeenshire       
Gibson      Eliza     23    Domestic Servant  Kircudbrightshire sister of Mrs Pauling 
Glassey     Sarah A.  22    Domestic Servant  Tyrone              
Goodman     Mary A.   18    Domestic Servant  Yorkshire           
Gorman      Ed.             Ploughman         Cavan               
Grainger    Thomas          Laborer           Lanarkshire         
Grealish    Patrick         Farm Laborer      Galway              
Guntrip     John      21    Gardener          Middlesex 
Guntrip	    Mary      26    wife	      Middlesex	
Guskins     Maria     15    Domestic Servant  Oxfordshire         
Hale        Benj.           Laborer           Hants               
Hannon      John      Y     Farm Laborer      Antrim              
Harkness    T.        Y  2  Carpenter         Kirkcudbrightshire  
Henry	    Forward	43  Broman	      Wiltshire
Henry	    Mary 	43
Henry	    James	18
Henry	    Emma	14
Henry	    Frank	10
Henry	    Fanny	 9
Henry	    Henry	 8 
Henry	    Edwin	 7
Hepborn     Thomas          Farm Laborer      Banffshire          
Higgs       James	24  Carpenter         Cornwall
Higgs	    Ellen	22
Higgs	    Maria Jane	
Higgs	    Mary Ann	infant          
Hitchel     Wm.             Ploughman         Kirkcudbrightshire   
Hockley     Elizabeth  21   Dairywoman        Hants
Hockley     J.         28   Cook	      Hants            (single woman)    
Hockley     Huldah     48   Dairywoman        Hants               
Hughes      Richard   Y  5  Laborer           Down                
Hutt        Thos.     Y  6  Farm Laborer      Berkshire           
Jones       Eliza      40   Housekeeper       Pembrokeshire
Jones       Charlotte  14   Housekeeper       Pembrokeshire
Jones       Mary Ann   10   Housekeeper       Pembrokeshire
Jones       Eliza       6   Housekeeper       Pembrokeshire
Jones       Frs.            Carpenter         Monmouthshire
Jones       James           		      Monmouthshire        
Jones       Thos.           Sawyer            Monmouthshire       
Judge       Louisa    17    Domestic Servant  Middlesex           
Kerr        William   26  Y Gardener          Lancashire 
Kerr 	    Jane      32    wife         
Kirwin      Martha    17    Domestic Servant  Limerick            
Kirwin      Sarah     21    Domestic Servant  Limerick            
Leech       Eliza     19    Domestic Servant  Cavan               
Livingston  Robt.     Y     Farm Laborer      Fermanagh           
Lockhart    Wm.       Y  2  Farm Laborer      Tyrone              
Love        John      Y     Ploughman         Ayrshire            
Lyall       Wm.       Y  6  Ploughman         Forfarshire         
Madden      Pat.                              Limerick            
Marks       Ellen    23     Dressmaker        Gloucestershire  
Marshall    John     42	    Carpenter	      Yorkshire
Marshall    Margaret 28
Marshall    Jane S.	5
Marshall    Josh.	1
Marshall    W.G.	    infant
Martin      Jas.            Ploughman         Forfarshire         
Mays        John            Ploughman         Ayrshire            
McIntosh    D.        Y     Shepherd          Forfarshire         
McKay       William         Ploughman         Caithness           
McLaren     Duncan          Shepherd          Perthshire          
McLaren     William         Shepherd          Perthshire          
Medcalf     Albert    Y     Laborer           Wiltshire
Meshach	    Clement 26 	    Farm Laborer      Somersetshite
Meshach     Louisa  21 
Meshach	    Frederick       infant       
Morgan      Edwin   30	    Farm Laborer      Monmouthshire
Morgan	    Elizabeth 28
Morgan	    Anne	 4	
Morgan	    Eliza	    infant       
Morland     Wm.             Farm Laborer      Down                
Morris	    William 23      Farm Laborer
Morris	    Barbara 23
Morris	    Sarah Ann       10mths.
Mowatt      D.        Y  1  Farm Laborer      Caithness           
Mundy       James   27	    Carpenter         Cornwall 
Mundy	    Eliza P 18           
Murphy      S.        Y  2  Farm Laborer      Cork                
Neil        Thos.     Y     Farm Laborer      Antrim              
O'Boyle     Francis         Farm Laborer      Antrim              
O'Boyle     Mary         21 Domestic Servant  Down                
O'Boyle     Patrick         Farm Laborer      Antrim              
O'Boyle     Rose         23 Domestic Servant  Antrim              
O'Connell   Margaret  20    Domestic Servant  Tipperary
Pauling     Wm.       Y  2  Ploughman         Kirkcudbrightshire  wife Jane nee Gibson. Children James & John (wayback)
Pemberthy   Henry     Y     Carpenter         Cornwall            
Pemberthy   Henry jun.Y  1                    Cornwall            
Penberthy   Henrietta 29    Domestic Servant  Cornwall            
Penberthy   Mary      18    Domestic Servant  Cornwall            
Penberthy   Ricd. B.        Watchmaker        Cornwall            
Penberthy   Sophia    30    Needlewoman       Cornwall            
Pennie      Jas.      Y     Farm Laborer      Aberdeenshire       
Petrie      Chas.     Y     Farm Laborer      Perthshire          
Price       John            Farm Laborer      Salop               
Price       Maria     14    Domestic Servant  Salop               
Price       Thos.           Farm Laborer      Salop               
Procter     Robt.           Farm Laborer      Lancashire          
Purnchard   Chas. J.        Laborer           Middlesex           
Reid        James           Ploughman         Ayrshire            
Reid        John            Ploughman         Ayrshire            
Richards    Fanny       18  Domestic Servant  Cornwall            
Russell     Thos.     Y     Carpenter         Lanarkshire         
Sanderson   Mgt.         23 Domestic Servant  Antrim              
Scholefield Sarah A.     27 Domestic Servant  Lancashire  and child  (single woman) 
Scholefield Harry         6 Domestic Servant  Lancashire     
Shearer     George          Farm Laborer      Aberdeenshire       
Shepherd    Jas.      Y  6  Ploughman         Perthshire          
Sinclair    John            Laborer           Cathness            
Sinclair    Wm.             Groom             Caithness           
Smith       Mary         32 Cook              Lanarkshire         
Sommerville Nathl.          Farm Laborer      Armagh              
Stewart     Daniel          Ploughman         Perthshire          
Stewart     Robt.           Ploughman         Perthshire          
Sullivan    Daniel    Y     Farm Laborer      Cork                
Symons      Emma        21  Domestic Servant  Cornwall            
Symons      Grace       38  Needlewomen       Cornwall            
Trumper     Eliza       16  Domestic Servant  Salop               
Trumper     Saml.     Y	 5  Laborer	      Salop
Wakelin     Wm. J.    Y     Carpenter         Middlesex           
Warner      John E.         Schoolmaster      Oxfordshire         
Watson	    John	28  Farm Laborer      Yorkshire
Watson	    Ann		22	
Whitta      James           Ploughman         Forfarshire         
Whittaker   Walter          Laborer           Lancashire          
Winter      John            Engineer          Durham              
Wiseman     John            Laborer           Lancashire          
Woolley     T.              Farm Laborer      Yorkshire           

Lyttelton Times, 29 April 1863, Page 5
Frederick Fisher, steward of the Huntress, was again heed at the bar, charged by Capt. Barrow with refusing to do duty, and using threatening language. The mate, J. W. FitzGerald, also proved the accused had refused to turn to and assist to work the ship when requested by him to do so, under orders from the captain.

Captain Barrow, of the ship Huntress, was charged by Louisa Fowler, one of the passengers, with committing an assault upon herself and child, by plying the hose from the fire engine upon them. Since the arrival of the ship in harbor, considerable dissatisfaction has manifested itself amongst the immigrants.
Thomas Hall, sworn: I was a passenger by the Huntress; remember the time the people were ordered on deck; Captain ordered all on deck; I had occasion to go below to fetch the things for our dinners; saw the Captain play the hose upon Mrs. Fowler and her two children.
Charles Burdett, sworn: I am a passenger by the ship Huntress; I was between decks on this occasion; I had just got my preserved potatoes for dinner; I was returning down stairs between decks from the galley to get the things for dinner; I saw the captain turn the hose on Mrs. Fowler and her children;
Mrs. H. Hockley: I am a passenger, along with my two daughters; we occupied berths on the poop. I have noticed that the captain had a great deal of trouble to get the passengers up from below, especially the married people.
Mrs. Emma Hutt, called and sworn: I am a passenger by the Huntress, and wife of Thomas Hutt;
Mrs. Margaret Marshall: I am a passenger by the Huntress; also my husband and family. I know Mrs. Fowler. I have not received any harshness from the captain or officers of the ship.
Robert Craw: I was acting constable on board the Huntress; at times I have thought the Captain was harsh with the passengers; at times, there was a difficulty to get the people up it was not always possible, especially with children, to obey the order at once; although I consider the Captain was harsh, he meant well. I had orders to have the ladders removed. On this particular day I do not think there was any particular order to be carried out below; I have been at sea before; I consider the ship was kept clean considering the crowded state she was in I think for the number of people, children especially, the space was too limited; some did obey the orders, others did not they could not always do so; one particular part was dirty compared with other parts; this part was abaft the mainmast, on the starboard side, but it was on account of the confined space in this part there was considerable sickness amongst the children; the part myself and family lived in was not so confined, and could be kept cleaner; we were better treated.
The Resident Magistrate added that he considered great provocation had been given, and it was evident that a conspiracy existed amongst some of the passengers to thwart and annoy the officers and doctor at the commencement of the voyage. The ship was evidently unsuited for passengers, and was in consequence very dirty. In another charge, similar to the above, made by Jeannette Love, in which the Bench ordered the captain to pay the costs, it was admitted that the captain told the plaintiff that he had no intention to throw the water on her; it was done accidentally in handing the hose up on deck.

Another Charge of Assault. SOMMERVILLE v. CHESTER. Nathan Sommerville sworn: I am a passenger by the ship Huntress; in the single men's compartment; joined the ship on or about the 11th December; I looked over the list posted below for my name and number; I found my name on the list, but no number; I applied to the officers of the ship and the two mates; Mr. Chester put me into a berth; I was put out of this very shortly by a young man who claimed it from the time I joined the ship to the 28th February, I had three bunks, Nos. 48,57, and 45; I was turned out of them, and had to lay about on the boxes and forms; on the 1st December I applied again to the Doctor; he told me I might sleep on the boxes or forms; I replied to him that before he left he must find me a proper place to sleep in; without doing so he left me, and I followed him to the cabin; the Doctor and Captain went below, after a few moments returned and asked for my contract ticket; I returned to the young men's place to get it I was told by the Captain that I had broken the regulations by threatening to strike the Doctor, and he intended to make an example of me Mr. Chester, the second mate, put the handcuffs on my hands I was taken forward down the forehold amongst the coals, and my hands lashed to a thick rope; I was in a stooping position, and could not lay down; I remained till seven o'clock next morning; the constable came and undid the rope, and I was ordered to go the Captain; Chester took off the handcuffs; I did not at anytime make or offer resistance: the Captain said if I would be quiet he would not put a blur on my register ticket. Mr. Chester, second mate, stated that he was ordered by the captain to take the man down below, and also to put the hand-cuffs on him. Capt. Barrow was duly sworn, and said: I ordered the second officer to put the hand-cuffs on Summerville, because he was offensive to the doctor; I considered it my duty to do so; I heard the man had not got a place to sleep in, and as soon as I was told of it by the doctor, I ordered the carpenter to fit one up; I asked him for his contract ticket; I believe it has not been refused to him yet. The doctor is on board attending to a sick passenger.

Desertion. Three seamen who had deserted from the ship Huntress, received the sentence of 12 weeks imprisonment, with hard labor. One of the sailors belonging to the Roman Emperor, received a similar sentence for the same offence.

Robert Brown Craw was sworn, said: I am a passenger by the ship Huntress;

Press, 9 May 1863, Page 3
James Turner, a deserter from the Huntress, was remanded until to-morrow for a similar purpose.

Press, 30 April 1863, Page 3 LYTTELTON. RESIDENT MAGISTRATE'S COURT. April 29, 1863, [Before W. Donald, Esq., R.M.]
James Cotton, the boatswain of the ship Huntress, appeared before the Resident Magistrate to answer the complaint of Benjamin Bishop, a passenger by the same ship, for assault. The complainant stated, that on the 5th February he went below, to take down the dinner things at noon, and to fetch water, and when he returned on deck, the Doctor, the Constable, and the defendant took him to the Captain, when he was ordered up and lashed to the rigging for four hours. He was tied by both hands by the accused.
R. Davidson, a passenger by the Huntress, stated he remembered the complainant being lashed to the rigging, nine feet up, so that he could not move. He understood that he was so punished for going below contrary to orders.
Thomas Hutt, passenger, gave similar evidence. For the defence, John Sollars, the chief officer, was called, who stated that the Captain had given orders to the boatswain to have the complainant lashed up to the rigging, as he was unruly, and would go below contrary to orders. He saw to the seizing himself, and the Doctor saw that the sun could not hurt him. A canvass was placed over him. He did not consider the punishment severe. The plaintiff was singled out to make an example of on account of insubordination amongst the passengers. The plaintiff said he was exposed for four hours to the sun under the line, Edward Henry Marshall, the Surgeon Superintendent of the Huntress, stated that Bishop was placed in the rigging on account of disobedience of orders. He was rude to the constable and generally insubordinate. He examined his wrists when he was taken down, and did not think the punishment he received very severe. The Resident Magistrate said that he considered the Boatswain had only acted under instruction from his superior officer, and was not the proper person to have been summoned. At the same time he did not think, under the circumstances of the very bad conduct of the plaintiff on board, that he had received any more punishment than he deserved.

Press, 8 May 1863, Page 2
Fatal accident at Papanui. A young man of about twenty years of age and ascertained to be Charles Church, a labouring man recently arrived by the Huntress. The inquest was held today and the verdict of Accidental death.

Lyttelton Times, 20 May 1863, Page 4
Sudden Death One of the apprentices of the ship Huntress died suddenly on Monday night. It appears that he was taken ill in Christchurch, and managed to get over the hill in the afternoon about five o'clock, and was dead at ten.

Press, 20 May 1863, Page 3
At Lyttelton, May 18th, on board the Huntress, of inflammation of the lungs, Joseph Haglehurst midshipmen, son of the Rev. Haglehurst of Chesterfiele, England.

3 January 1921, Page 2
What is believed to be the-first diamond wedding in Lyttelton took place on Saturday, when Mr and Mrs John Bawdon, Sylvan terrace, celebrated the 60th anniversary, of their marriage. Unfortunately, the festivities could not be carried out as the family had intended, owing to Mrs Bawdon having been seized with illness the previous day, Friday; in fact, her condition is now causing anxiety. The occasion was therefore quietly celebrated in the family circle only. Mr Bawdon was born in Landlevery, Cornwall, eighty-four years ago, and Mrs Bawdon, who was Miss May Ann Trevail, in the adjoining parish of Luxyill, seventy-nine years ago. The couple were married in the Luxyill Parish Church on January 2nd, 1861, by the Rev. P. Hoskin. The following year Mr and Mrs Bawdon decided to emigrate to New Zealand, and accordingly embarked at Gravesend about the end of October the same year, in the ship Huntress, bound for Timaru, wren; emigrants and cargo. The vessel was 139 days on the voyage, gales and calms alternating all the way. Great trouble was experienced with the water supply, the tanks, having become fouled, and sixteen deaths, mostly those of children, occurred. Arriving off the east coast of the South Island, further gales were experienced, and as the vessel was unable to make Timaru, the captain, decided to put into Lyttelton, where the emigrants were landed in January, 1863. The couple decided to settle in Lyttelton, and Mr Bawdon soon after secured employment on or rather in the Lyttelton tunnel. He is one of the last survivors of that little band of tunnel workers. He, along with most tunnel men, took part in the Hokitika gold rush. The party journeyed as far as the Weka Pass by coach, three changes of horses being made on the way. From the Pass the gold-seekers humped their swags over the ranges, via Taylor's Lakes and down the Teremakau river, to Hokitika. Hokitika was then a canvas town, there being no wooden buildings at all. Two weeks of Hokitika, during which time it rained almost continuously, sufficed to disillusion Mr Bawdon and his friends of any hopes they may have had of a golden future, and they decided to return to the steady but uninteresting work in the tunnel. The return journey was made in the schooner Wild Wave, the commander of which was Captain P. O'Brien, who was later for many years of the Lyttelton Hotel. The schooner made a good trip- round through the Straits, but on nearing Lyttelton Heads a south-westerly gale sprang up, blowing the vessel back up the coast, and she put into Wellington. After staying three days in Wellington, the Wild Wave resumed her voyage, which was completed without further incident.
    "When the tunnel was completed, Mr Bawdon worked on the railway as a plate-layer. At one time he had Borne special work to do at Addington. In those days the first train did not leave Lyttelton until about ten o'clock, so Mr Bawdon walked to his work every morning, over the Bridle path, and along the railway line to Addington, where he commenced work at eight o'clock. He made this journey every morning for six weeks, returning by train in the evening. Mr Bawdon says that after 21 years' service with the Government he left when a wholesale reduction or wages took place. "I would not work for 6s a day for anybody,'' said Mr Bawdon, so he went into business in Lyttelton as a dairyfarmer, at which occupation he was engaged until recently. Although he is fourteen years over the allotted span, Mr Bawdon is still active, and his memory is remarkably good. Mr Bawdon's first visit to Christchurch was made by way of the Bridle Path and Ferrymead. The Ferry road was then bounded on either side by dense flax. There were only a few hotels in Christchurch then, one of which was the White Hart. Mr and Mrs Bawdon have seven sons and two daughters, all of whom were born and bred in the old homestead at the top of Salt's Gully, now named Hawkhurst road. Among relatives present on Saturday was Mrs Bawdon's sister, Mrs E. Higgs, of Christchurch, who was bridesmaid at the wedding in the little Cornish village sixty years ago.

 BENBOW, William Chr. 14 Nov 1826 Burford, Shropshire; D. July 22, 1909 Waitohi) was the eldest son of James and Sarah nee Cumbers.   He became gardener and gatekeeper at Ludlow Castle, South Shropshire where he met, eloped to Weston, Burford and married Nov 20, 1848 Mary Paston (b. 1823c; d. May 16, 1895 Waitohi) They sailed on the "Huntress" from Plymouth with their family Ann, James, Sarah, Elizabeth and baby William. Unable to land at Timaru, severe gales forced the Captain to put in at Lyttelton. Passengers completed their journey by steamboat and were landed by surfboat. The Benbows went by bullock wagon, a journey of  one and a half days to stay overnight at the Arowhenua Inn and on to Temuka. Here William obtained work with the Hayhurst's as their gardener and Mary was housekeeper. The children attended school at Georgetown.

William Benbow bought 20 acres in Waitohi - Kakahu area and built a sod cottage. William, Mary and Lucy were added to the family. Later a large stone house was built "Ladymoore", and the children walked the six miles over bullock tracks to Temuka. More land was added to this holding. William and Mary are buried in the Temuka Cemetery.

Benbow children -

Ann		 (1849 - 1929)	 m. William Guilford James ( 1854 - 1946) m. Alice Harriet Bishop 
Sarah		 (1855 - )	 m. 1877 Thomas Mattingley
Elizabeth	 (1858 - )	 m. Benjamin Trumper
William		 infant - died on voyage
William Charles  (1864 - 1921)	 m. Edith Stringer
Mary Caroline	 (1866 - 1912)	 m. William Cross
Lucy Harriot	 		 m. 1891 Daniel McInnes 

Information courtesy of Winsome Griffin.  Please contact Winsome if you have further information or would like information on the BENBOW family. Posted 25 Sept. 1999  

BLAKE, Mrs Agnes
Press, 16 September 1927, Page 2
There passed away last week a very old identity of the Canterbury Province in the person of Mrs Agnes Blake, relict of the late Mr Robert Blake. Mr and Mrs Blake were married in Edinburgh, Scotland, in the year 1860 and came to New Zealand in 1862, arriving at Lyttelton in the ship Huntress after a voyage of 290 days. They settled in the Amuri district and were engaged, in station work at Balmoral, Culverden, Montrose, and Waiau. In those days it took several weeks by bullock dray to reach Balmoral from Christchurch. Nearly 60 years ago Mr and Mrs Blake took over the Jollie's Pass Accommodation House and general store near Hanmer from Count de la Pasteur, and remained there for nearly seven years, during which period Mr and Mrs Blake rendered considerable assistance to miners travelling to and from the Wakamarina goldfields in the Nelson Province. From Jollie's Pass Mr and Mrs Blake went to Rangiora, and Mr Blake was for a time driving the ballast train for the contractor (Mr Taylor) on the Rangiora-Oxford branch railway line then being constructed. After three years spent at Rangiora they moved to the Lincoln district, where they were engaged in farming pursuits for a period of 18 years, when they retired and resided first at Papanui and latterly at Merivale. Mr Robert Blake predeceased his wife in March, 1923. Mrs Blake was in her 92nd year at the time of her death. She leaves surviving her two sons and two daughters Mr John Blake, of Hawera, Mr Charles Blake, of Clarence bridge, Mrs S. C. Watson, Caversham, and Miss M. E. Blake, Christchurch, nine grandchildren, and 13 great-grandchildren.

Press, 31 August 1928, Page 6
The death is announced of Mrs Margaret Shields, Geraldine, at the age of 94 years. Deceased came of a family noted for longevity, a sister, Mrs Sinclair, having died in the early part of the present month within six weeks of her 100th birthday. Mrs Shields came to Canterbury with her sister in the ship Huntress in 1863. She spent the greater part of her life in the Rangiora district and was much esteemed by all who knew her for her kindly nature. Her husband predeceased her a few years ago at the age of 91 years, the funeral took place on Tuesday at Rangiora after a service at John Knox Church, of which she was a member of many years' standing.

James Shields married a Margaret Blake in 1871. Children:
1874 Shields William James Sinclair
1881 Shields Gladis Margaret

John Sinclair was born in Caithness, Scotland on 1836. He married Agnes Blake in 1866. He passed away on 1875 in Rangiora at age 42. Agnes Orr Thompson Sinclair 99Y died in 1928. Children:
1867 Sinclair James
1871 Sinclair John William Henry
1872 Sinclair Robert Alexander

, 19 April 1919, Page 5
The death Mr Charles Cook, at Warwick House, on Wednesday night, removed one of the early settlers or Christchurch and one who for a long period, was closely connected with education in this city. Mr Cook was born in 1841, at Daviot, Invernessshire, Scotland, and was the son of the Archibald Cock, a Presbyterian minister. Mr Cook was educated at Edinburgh University, and afterwards in London, where he was a teacher for some years. He came to Lyttelton in the early sixties, arriving by the ship Huntress. He was once of the first assistant masters at the Boys' School founded by the Christchurch Presbyterians, and held or near the site now occupied by the Christchurch District High School. Whilst engaged teaching at this school Mr Cook, in the evenings, assisted on the staff of "The Press, then under the editorship of Mr James Edward Fitzgerald. Mr Cook, who was one of the first writers of Pitman's shorthand in New Zealand, reported the debates and proceedings in the Canterbury Provincial Council. His journalistic duties frequently kept hint working till early in the morning, when he would mount his horse, and ride home, a considerable distance along the Lincoln road. Then, in the morning, back to his school duties. Mr Cook wrote a. very fine shorthand note, and made use of the "winged art" in ninny directions besides reporting. Afterwards Mr Cook opened a private school at Melville house on the corner of Durham and Armagh streets, opposite the Art Gallery, and here many of the youth of the city, who afterwards took up prominent positions in the commercial and other activities, received their preparatory education. It is noteworthy that at Mr Cook's funeral on Thursday there attended father and son Mr William Goss, sen., and Mr Wm. Goss, jun. who had both been taught by Mr Cook. Lator Mr Cook removed his school to Warwick House, and carried it on till about ten years ago, when he retired from active life. In 1875  Mr Cook married Miss Crowley, daughter of Mr Edward Crowley, of Lyttelton, who survives him. Mr A.G. Cook, a brother of the deceased gentleman, who was for some time manager for Messrs Geo. G. Stead and Co., of this city, is living in England, and his sister, Mrs James Dawe, resides at Weston's road, Papanui. Mr Cook leaves two sons and three daughters - Mr A. D. Cook, at present on active service in Egypt and Mr A. W. Cook, of Messrs H. Matson and Co., Mrs W. H. Moyes, of New Plymouth, Mrs Arthur Sandston, of Christchurch, and Miss Cook.  

Press, 28 May 1889, Page 6
Mr John Cutler, whose death was announced as taking place on Monday, the 20th, was what may now be termed an old settler of this province. He, his wife, and family of five girls and one boy, arrived in the ship Huntress in the year 1883. His wife died in February last, but the girls and boy are all married and have families. When Mr Cutler arrived the Total Abstinence Society here was in its infancy, and had not many who were able to attract an audience or to persuade the reckless to join its sober ranks. Mr Cutler, who had before been very prominent in the movement in the Old Country, was a welcome addition to their numbers, and with his stirring eloquence and consistent adherence to the pledge, together with the temperance songs and melodies given by members of his family, was instrumental in drawing -many sympathisers to the cause. He was one of the first founders in Canterbury of Bands of Hope. After his removal to West Melton to a small farm of 30 acres he was not so frequently seen in town, but there is scarcely a Templar body in this part of the province but has invited him to take part at their meetings, where some of his family or grandsons and granddaughters have also contributed songs, melodies, or recitations. Whilst residing in town and working at his trade as a shoemaker he was prominent as a member of a Freehold Land Society, and also a Co-operative Grocery Society, and was for some time their storeman at their retail shop in Cathedral square. In politics he also took an active part, and during the great Superintendency contest was the seconder of Mr Travers in opposition to Messrs Lance and Moorhouse. The nominators of the other candidates having finished their speeches, Mr Cutler rose to second that of Mr Thomas Locke Travers, and gave such an oration with his comments and objections on their policy, that Mr William Sefton Moorhouse patted him on the shoulder as they came down from the hustings and said, "Well done Cutler; I would give 2000 pounds to-day if I could make a speech like that."

Press, 15 June 1910, Page 7
Mr and Mrs Joseph Fowler, of Wellington ("Post" reports) celebrated their golden wedding recently. They were married at Christchurch, Marylebone, London, on May 27th, 1860, Mr Fowler having previously served in the Crimean War during 1854 and 1855. Shortly after this they removed to New Zealand, arriving at Lyttelton in the ship Huntress, in April, 1863. After residing in the Canterbury district a number of years, where Mr Fowler followed the occupation of builder, they went in 1880 to New Plymouth, and eventually settled in Wellington in 1886. They have a family of seven sons and four daughters. There are twenty-two grandchildren.

Press, 6 October 1916, Page 8
Mr Joseph Fowler, an old resident of New Zealand, died on Tuesday at the residence of his daughter, Mrs R. A. McIntyre, Sydney street Wellington. The late Mr Fowler arrived in Lyttelton with his wife, who predeceased him two years ago, in the ship Huntress in April, 1863. After residing in the Canterbury district for a number of years, he went to New Plymouth, and eventually settled in Wellington in 1886. The deceased saw service in the Crimean war, and one son. Private Ernest Fowler, is now fighting in France. The late Mr Fowler, who was in his 82nd year, is survived by a family of seven sons and four daughters.

The Fowler Family : who arrived in Christchurch, New Zealand aboard the "Huntress" which berthed in Lyttelton on 21st April 1863 : the family moved to New Plymouth about 1885 and to Wellington in 1890 : part of the family returned to Christchurch in 1893 : one son moved to Stawell in Victoria, Australia in 1910 : for all the great-great-great grandchildren of Joseph Fowler and his wife Louisa Christian, so they may know more of their ancestors and where they came from / Naomi Dement (nee Power).  Levin, N.Z. : N. Dement, 2005] Includes bibliographical references (p. 26) and index. Libraries, CHCH

 GORMAN, Edwad
30 December 1912, Page 1
One of the oldest and most respected residents of the Ellesmere district died at Southbridge on December 22, in the person of Mr Edward Gorman. The late Sir Gorman was born at Aberdeen, Scotland in 1825, and arrived in New Zealand by the ship Huntress, in 1863. On arrival he settled for a time at Port Levy with the late Mr Fleming. From .there he went to the late Mr Bridge, of Homebrook, Southbridge, and assisted that gentleman in laying out the township of Southbridge. After spending six years with Mr Bridge, Mr Gorman took up the land at Little Rakaia, which he occupied up to the time of his death. The dwelling-house he built on this property was the first wooden building erected at Southbridge. Mr Gorman was married in 1873, and leaves a widow, one son, one daughter and a grand-daughter. The funeral, which took place on Tuesday, was attended by a large number of people, many of whom came from Christchurch, Ashburton and other parts of Canterbury. Requiem, mass was celebrated at St Joseph's Church, Southbridge, on Tuesday morning by the Rev Father Bowden, who also officiated at the grave.

, 23 November 1915, Page 3 WILLIAM HITCHELL
Last week there passed away another of the pioneers of Canterbury in the person of Mr William Hitchell, of "Te Mahanga," Mr Hitchell was born in Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland, in 1842, and came out to New Zealand in the ship Huntress in 1863. He bought land first at Leeston, and later at Hororata. In 1870 he disposed of his Hororata property, and entered the service of the late Mr Wm. Gerard, of Snowdon. He remained with Mr Gerard for 12 years, and in 1883 started business in Glentunnel as general storekeeper, where he remained until 1894, when lie purchased his late property, which was part of the Buccleueh estate. Mr Hitchell was well known and respected. He was married in 1576 to Miss Napier, of Hororata, who predeceased him seven years ago. He leaves two daughters Mrs Couiyns. of Springburn and Mrs George McFarlane, of Wosterfield. [William Hitchell married a Mary Napier in 1876.]

Richard and Susannah Hughes (nee Gibson) and their children left County Down, Ireland and arrived at Lyttelton aboard the Huntress in April 1863. They settled in Kingsdown, south of Timaru. Richard was a Farmer. He died in 1880 from injuries sustained when he fell from a spring cart. He is buried in the Hughes family plot in Timaru Cemetery. Their eldest son Robert Hughes married Sarah Pizzey (originally from Felsham, Suffolk, England) and they had eight children. Robert was a blacksmith in Geraldine and it is rumoured that Sarah ran a nursing home. They divorced in approximately 1902. Sarah moved to New Plymouth and died in 1947. Robert stayed in South Canterbury and died in 1930.
    Their son Richard Hughes married Ellen Scobie and they had 5 children. Ellen Scobie emigrated with her parents and siblings from Thornliebank, Glasgow, Scotland in approximately 1880. Her parents, John Douglas and Janet Scobie (nee Ramsay) lived in Kakahu, Orari and Hilton. Very little is known about the Scobie family. Arrived in 1873 at Port Chalmers on the Michaelangelo.
    Their son Herbert Hughes married Mary Graham originally of County Antrim, Ireland. They are survived by seven children who currently live in New Zealand. Information courtesy of Joy Hughes. Posted 19 August 2006, updated Sept. 2013.

John Love and his wife is in the passenger list as a Ploughman from Ayrshire with his wife present. They settled in Gapes Valley. John�s wife is Janet Nisbet, and they were married the year before at Paisley Abbey Renfrewshire 25 November 1862. They were both said to be from Merksworth, which appears to be some kind of estate house on the site of what is now an airport. He was a farm hand, and she a domestic servant. Can't them on the census of 1861.
John�s parents are listed as Robert Love (decd), and Margaret McAlpine
Janet�s parents are listed as James Nisbet (decd) and Janet Orr.

John and Janet had a total of eight children, five sons and three daughters. John & Janet are buried in Christchurch. Children:
1865 Love Janet
1869 Love Alexander
1875 Love James
1877 Love Thomas Henry
1879 Love Margaret
1882 Love Mary
1884 Love Robert

George Clephane married Janet Love. They were Presbyterian.
Clephane, George, Farmer, Omihi. Mr. Clephane was born in 1863, in Christchurch, and educated there. In 1875 he went with his parents to the Wakanui district, Ashburton, and was there brought up to farming by his father. In 1891 he took over his father's farm of 200 acres of freehold, and when his father died in 1898, he sold out and bought his present property of 520 acres, on which he keeps sheep and grows crops. For several years Mr. Clephane was a member of the Wakanui River Board, and was also a member of the local school committee for seven years. He is now a member of the Omihi school committee, and also of the Canterbury Farmers' Union. Mr. Clephane was married, in 1891, to a daughter of Mr. J. Love, of Gapes' Valley, Geraldine, and has one son and two daughters.

LYALL, William
Akaroa Mail and Banks Peninsula Advertiser, 8 May 1936, Page 1
In the Pigeon Bay Cemetery last Saturday was laid to rest one of the old identities of the Bay�Willie Lyall who will be remembered by residents and others as being a link that joins us up with the early days of settlement on the Peninsula. Coming to New Zealand with .his parents in the ship "Huntress" after a protracted voyage of about 130 days in 1863, the family came on to Pigeon Bay the same year. The mode of transport in those days was by whaleboat from Lyttelton to the Bays "Moses" Barton's boat "Red Rover" running as weather permitted. Mr Lyall worked for a time for the late Mr E. Hay, wood-cutting, fencing, pitsawing etc., until he was in a position to acquire a small farm of his own. The subject of this obituary, then a young lad of ten years, had like many others of those days to help the family exchequer by finding some work that would help keep the family pot boiling. So after a short term in Mr Fitzgerald's school in Pigeon Bay, his father arranged for him to take a position as a farm hand at Brown Bridge or Amberley as it is now called. After a year or so at this place, he returned to Pigeon Bay and joined his brother in a farm project that was quite successful, then the gold mining craze urged him to the West Coast but his stay there was short and then back to Pigeon Bay to repair his depleted finance. After a short time again at farming, he left for the Sounds diggings with no success. Once more back to the Peninsula where he settled till increasing years and failing health made it necessary for him to enter a nursing home in Christchurch, where he lived two years and died there on April 30, aged 83 years. The funeral took place at Pigeon Bay Cemetery on Saturday, May 2nd.

MAZE The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Canterbury Provincial District] pg915
Mr. John Maze was born in the North of Ireland in 1838, and was brought up to farming pursuits by his father. He came to Lyttelton in 1863 in the ship Huntress, and was on Major Hornbrook's station for twelve months. On his brother's arrival from Australia, they entered into partnership in a farm at Milford. When the partnership was dissolved, Mr. J. Maze retained 130 acres of the property. He takes an interest in public affairs. In 1897 he was elected a member of the Temuka Road Board. He was for many years a member of the Milford school committee; is a prominent member of the Temuka Caledonian Society and one of the judges at the sports, and is also a member of the Temuka Athletic Club. Mr. Maze married Miss Brown, daughter of Mr. Francis Brown, a very early settler, and has nine children.

Single men

Edwin MORGAN, his wife Elizabeth (nee Price), and two of these children: Hannah (Annie) b.1861, William b.1861 Elizabeth b.1862 Arrived on Huntress in 1863. Edwin died in Christchurch in 1875. Their son Samuel Alfred Frederick. Apart from a son who died in childhood, Samuel and his wife Maria (nee Reynolds) only had daughters.

 O'BOYLE, Patrick
Ellesmere Guardian, 23 November 1921, Page 2
One of the best known and most highly respected residents of the Ellesmere county passed away on Saturday last at his home Roseneath farm, Leeston, in the person of Mr Patrick O'Boyle. The late Mr O'Boyle, who was 82 years of age, was born in Glenariff, County Antrim, Ireland, and came out to New Zealand by the ship "Huntress" in 1863. After a few days in Christchurch he and his cousin, Mr Francis O'Boyle, started up country. His first contract was for the erection of sheepyards. for the late Mr Marmaduke Dixon, the advocate of the Waimakariri water race scheme. Shortly afterwards he found his way to the Ellesmere district where" he carried out a number of contracts for the Ellesmere Road Board. Mr O'Boyle bought his first section of land in 1864 from the Government. It was near Leeston and adjoined the property of Messrs Lochead Brothers, who were amongst the earliest settlers in the district. His next purchase was a section of land fronting the Doyleston Drain Road, but after a few years he sold out and bought Mr H. P. Hill's farm, adjacent to the Hills Road railway station, where he was for fifteen years engaged in dairying. During that time he imported the first De Laval cream separator used in Canterbury, the prosperity of which, as well as that of the rest of New Zealand, has been greatly helped by the introduction of separators. At the time the Bealey estate was sold Mr O'Boyle bought 163 acres and afterwards bought the late Mr John Milner farm. This adjoined Mr O'Boyle's other land on the Bealey estate, and brought his area up to 500 acres. Most of the land is of excellent, quality and is well supplied with water as Hart's creek runs through the centre of it. Mr O'Boyle sold his other farm at Hill's road to Mr L. Mathias. Tor many years he carried on a system of mixed farming, but during recent years devoted his attention chiefly to sheep. For some years Mr O'Boyle farmed 2000 acres of sheep country on the Canterbury Plains. This property was sold a year or two ago. The late Mr O'Boyle married a Miss O'Neill, who predeceased her husband by a number of years. There is a family of three sons and two daughters. The sons, Messrs Patrick, Ignatius and Joseph O'Boyle, are all well known farmers, their holdings being adjacent to the "Roseneath" homestead. The two daughters are Mrs V. A. Bendall, of Leeston, and Mrs R. Prisk, wife of Mr Prisk, of the Bank of New Zealand, Lawrence. Throughout his long period of residence in the Ellesmere district the late Mr O'Boyle was a devout member of the Catholic Church, and a most liberal contributor to the support of all the church institutions. In that connexion he will be greatly missed. He .was one of the guarantors at the time the Catholic school was built; A gentleman of the highest integrity, he enjoyed the full confidence and esteem of all who knew him, and his death is much regretted by all sections of the community. The late Mr O'Boyle was a very active man up to within a few months of his death.

Ashburton Guardian
, 12 November 1902, Page 2
Another old colonist has just passed away in the person of Mrs Jane Pauling. She came to this colony in the ship Huntress in 1863, with her husband and two sons. Mrs Pauling was the eldest daughter of Mr James Gibson, Clothier, Woodburn House, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland. She has been a resident of Ashburton for some twenty-four years. On her arrival she took up the profession of a nurse, and many of our younger citizens were attended to on their first appearance in this world by Mrs Pauling. Her skill as a nurse, and her genial disposition made her a great favourite with the medical profession, and her reputation was a household word in Ashburton. Mrs Pauling leaves four sons and three daughters to mourn their loss. The funeral will take place at 2.30 to-morrow.

On board was Eliza Gibson, 23, Kircudbrightshire, Mrs Pauling's sister. She married in 1865 to James Ferguson Douglas from County Down. After dabbling in the hotel business in Christchurch they settled into farming at Doyleston and she died young there aged 38. Eliza Gibson born 12 June 1837, Urr, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland to parents James Gibson and Catherine McGraw. She arrived as part of the family group of her married sister Jane PAULING (her husband and two children). The Pauling's lived in the Ashburton area. Their brother James Gibson who also went to NZ but not on the Huntress.

The Salt of the earth that simply endured by
Sarah Jane Lander
New Zealand Society of Genealogists : 1990 Sesquicentennial Family Biography Competition collection (ATL MS-Papers-4280)
The story of the Penberthy family in Christchurch. Henry and Grace Penberthy (nee Bennetts), their family and two Symons relatives came to Canterbury as assisted immigrants on the `Huntress' in 1863. The essay traces their lives and those of their descendants. It looks at their connections with the Wesleyan Church in Christchurch with particular reference to the Wesleyan Day Schools in High Street and Durham Street North. The conditions many of the family encountered working in the clothing industry are looked at. Reference is made to the Merivale Rugby Football Club and the 1901 Cheviot Earthquake.
Includes references to Anna Buller and her father Rev James Buller, George Gould, John and Mary Jane Cumberworth, Thomas Bone, William Jewell and family, William Strange. Six generation family tree, and extensive bibliography
Illustrations : Includes photographs: Henry Penbarthy FitzGerald, Mary Elizabeth FitzGerald & Geraldine FitzGerald; group of young girls at Phillipstown Primary School, Christchurch, ca 1904-1908; William Symons Penberthy, Elizabeth Hannah Penberthy (nee Butcher), Dorothy Phyllis Penberthy & Marjorie Mary Penberthy, ca 1897; a tailor's workshop, Christchurch, undated

PETRIE, Charles
Press, 28 May 1909, Page 9
A very old colonist in the person of Mrs Petrie, wife of Mr C. H. Petrie, of Mangatainoka, died recently at the ripe age of 71. In company with Hr Petrie, the late Sirs Petrie arrived at Lyttelton in 1863 in the ship Huntress, and for many years they lived in Canterbury, sharing with many others the hardships of the early days. For the last 17 years the deceased had resided at Mangatainoka. One of her sons, Sir George Petrie, is headmaster of the Opawa school, and the other, Mr Robert Petrie, proprietor of the Railway Hotel here.

New Zealand Herald, 2 October 1931, Page 12
The death has occurred at Auckland, at the age of 91 years, of Mr. Charles H. Petrie, a. pioneer settler. Born at Charleston, near Glamis, Forfarshire, in 1840, he arrived with his wife at Lyttelton from Dundee in the ship Huntress in 1862. The voyage was an exceedingly protracted one of 165 days, and the ship was virtually given up as lost. Mr. Petrie settled first at Woodend, but after three years he removed to East Oxford, a bush district then newly opened up for settlement. He followed the occupation of contractor in that district for about 30 years, at the end of which he went to live at Pahiatua for health reasons. His wife died in 1909. Since then Mr. Petrie had resided with married daughters at Johnsonville and Te Aroha, until the last two years. He retained all his faculties and vividly remembered the hardships of the early pioneering days. Mr. Petrie is survived by four married daughters and a son. There are 30 grandchildren and 21 great-grandchildren

Press, 10 August 1900, Page 3
On Sunday last the residents of Kowai Bush heard with sorrow of the death of Mrs Rodgers, the oldest inhabitant of the district. Mrs Rodgers came to New Zealand in the ship Huntress about the year 1862. She went to live at Kowai Bush in 1864, and had resided there ever since. She endeared herself to all by her unfailing kindness and readiness to help in sickness or any cases where help was needed. Her death is greatly lamented by all who knew her.

Evening Post, 16 January 1930, Page 17
Golden Wedding. Gold and mauve were the decorations at the golden wedding of Mr. and Mrs. Ben Trumper, which was recently celebrated at their residence, Riverslea, Temuka. There was a gathering of fifty guests at the wedding breakfast. In the evening, a dance and games were held in the granary, when, the large gathering of relations and friends thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Mr and Mrs Trumper, who were born in Ludlow, Shropshire, arrived at Lyttelton by the sailing ship Huntress, in 1863. Mrs Trumper's family went on to Timaru, eventually taking up their residence in the Temuka district. Mr Trumper went to Temuka in 1874, and after his marriage resided in the Geraldine and Temuka districts, where he has successfully, followed the farming industry, retiring some twelve years ago.

Single men

Ashburton Guardian, 12 October 1916, Page 4 MR THOMAS WOOLLEY.
Mr Thomas Woolloy, a very old and highly-esteemed settler in the Ashburton County, died at his residence, Willis Street West, this morning. Deceased, who was 83 years of age, was born in Yorkshire, England, and arrived at New Zealand in 1863 by the ship Huntress, he first obtained employment, with Mr McFarlane, at Rangiora, after which he was engaged in contracting and farm work at Tai Tapu for six years. He then came to Ashburton. and took up land at Willowby, and also acquired 278 acres near the Wakanui Creek. After farming in that district for some years he acquired land on the Maronan Road, Hinds, which he successfully farmed until seven years ago when he came to reside in Ashburton. Deceased leaves a widow, three sons, and eight daughters to mourn their loss.

Bills sent from Colony

Note: William Robert Keay and John Alexander Keay, his brother, were sent out on the 'Huntress'  to work as farm cadets.  The Timaru Herald published a manuscript  "Extracts from the Reminiscences of  W.R. Keay" as a weekly series in 1959.  Gives an account of the voyage.  A brief extract appears in  Sherwood Downs and Beyond by Connie Rayne.  Onboard was a lifeboat for Timaru. The 'Huntress' 778 tons, sailed from Lyttelton for Callao, Peru (port of Lima) but never arrived.   The passenger list also appears in The Press, held on microfilm in the New Zealand Room at the Christchurch Public Library.

Passenger Lists - Timaru
South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project

New Zealand Bound

This page may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion, wholly or in part, except for private study.