Timaru Herald 4 July 1928 Page 12
Mr and Mrs David Hamilton were the first settlers in what is now the Fairlie township, and they were quickly followed by Tom Caskey and John Mackenzie, the latter of whom had a farm which now forms part of the township. Henry Freme, a bullock-driver, was the next town settler. William Close, who opened the first grocery store, arrived in 1875 and was followed by Messrs Morris and Gall, who opened a store where the National Mortgage and Agency Company’s building now stands. James Bodley, a labourer, then arrived with his wife, five daughters and two sons. They were followed by Charles Wederell, Mr Firth and Adam Orr Gilmour, who became the first licensee of the Gladstone Grand Hotel. The next to arrive was Denis Murphy, who was quickly followed by Tim Harnett (who had the Silverstream Hotel) and Malcolm McLeod, who opened a livery and bait stable in School Road on the section where now stands Mr Charles Elm’s residence.
Nimrod Richardons McLeans' View looking down from above
Fairlie Creek ___ ?Collen Mill Goodwins
Cabbage trees and flax visible on the flat.
Pencil & watercolour drawing attributed to
the artist - Frances W. Brunton.
Reference: Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, NZ Ref No F 119352 1/2.
Looks like the artist was on Mt Michael looking down into the Fairlie Basin, note the two cabbage trees.
There is a watercolour of the Geraldine area by the same artist on Timeframes.
Compare the drawing from right of the word Creek
The Fairlie Basin, October 2004. Poplars and shelter belts of pine trees are visible with Paton's house in the foreground and willows in the gully and along the banks of the Opihi River. SH 79 leads into the township of Fairlie which is located on the far bank of the river.
Reference: Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Canterbury edition. Part 4. pages 954-959. Published 1903
FAIRLIE, in the county of Mackenzie, is the terminus of the branch railway from Timaru. It taps the rich pastoral districts of the Mackenzie Country, and is on the direct route to Mount Cook, and its famous glaciers. Fairlie is thirty-nine miles from Timaru, with which it has daily mail communication, and it is also a telegraph station. The surrounding scenery
of interesting character. Coaches start from Fairlie for the great snowy ranges. The township has three churches, a public school, four general stores, two hotels, and three blacksmiths' shops. Fairlie is also the name of the most populous riding of the Mackenzie county. At the census of
March, 1901, it had a population of 968, of who 597 souls were returned as being in Fairlie
township and its neighbourhood. The riding includes Ashwick Flat, Burke's Pass,
The Mackenzie County Council has jurisdiction over an area of 25537 square miles of country, which is chiefly pastoral, and of a mountainous character. The district was formerly known as the Mount Cook road district, and was constituted as a county in 1879. It has a population of 1697, and its capital value is 753,733. Property carries a rate of three-fourths of a penny, and the annual revenue is about 4635; expenditure. about 4826. The Council meets once a month at its offices in Fairlie. Members for 1903: Messrs F.G. Gillingham (chairman). W. Wreford, J.S. Rutherford, R. Irving, R. Guthrie, and J.A. Pringle. Mr R.L. Banks as clerk and engineer.
Councillor Richard IRVING was born in Lanarkshire, Scotland, in 1837. He was brought up to farming, and in 1867 came to New Zealand under engagement to the Levels Land Company, for whom he brought out a valuable stallion, "Iveno." After a time Mr Irving was appointed manager of the farming department, and held the position for fifteen years, when he bought 309 acres of the Levels estate at Albury. He has since increased his holding to 1775 acres, known as "Brown Hill." In 1899 he took a pleasure trip of seven months to England, and brought to New Zealand a number of very valuable draught stallions, two of which, "Sandy Erskine" and "Agitator." have been champions ever since coming to the colony. Mr Irving also owns the stud draught horses "Reformer" and "Brown Hill." and has acted as a judge of draught horses at nearly all the agricultural shows throughout Canterbury. He has been a member of the Timaru Agricultural Show Committee for twenty years, a director of the Albury Saleyards Company since its foundation, has served for twelve years on the local school committee, and been a member of the Mackenzie County Council since 1902. Mr Irving married in 1887 to a daughter of the late Mr. Samuel Young, of Lanarkshire, Scotland, and has seven sons and four daughters.
Counciller William WREFORD, Member of the Mackenzie Country Council, is a farmer residing at Coal Creek, Cave, and was born in Devonshire, England, in 1851. Having been brought up to farming pursuits, he resolved to seek a fortune in New Zealand, and in 1874 sailed in the ship "Clarence" for Hawke's Bay. In 1875 he was employed on Captain Russell's station in that province, and remained there for some time prior to coming to Canterbury, where he worked as the Hon. E. Richardson's station at Albury. He then started business as a butcher and dealer; subsequently, he took up land, and now occupies some 400 acres. Mr Wreford was elected a member of the County Council in 1896, and was chairman of the Cave School Committee for many years. He was married in New Zealand to a daughter of Mr. John Bussell, a farmer of Makihihi, and has four children.
Fairlie Railway Station and Post Office dates from 1881, when the line was opened to Fairlie. The building is wood and iron, and contains three rooms where railway, postal and other official business for the district is transacted. There are goods and engine sheds at the railway station and trains depart and arrive for and from Timaru, with a double service on Mondays. The goods sent from the station consist principally of wool, sheep, and grain.
ROBERTSON, Andrew , Stationmaster and Postmaster at Fairlie, was born in 1865, in Dunedin. He joined the railway service as a youth, and was appointed to his present position in 1900. Mr Robertson was married, in 1886. to a daughter of Mr Charles Russell, of Seacliff, and has two sons.
The Fairlie Public School, which dates from 1863, has accommodation for 160 children. There are 130 on the roll, and the average attendance is 115. The master's residence is situated near the school, which has a glebe of ten acres. The teacher in charge has two assistants.
WALLACE, JOHN ROBERT. B.A. Headmaster of Fairlie Public School was born in Dunedin in 1872. He was trained in his native city and graduated at the University of Otago. Mr Wallace was appointed in his present position in 1897. He was married in 1895 to a daughter of the late Mr. J. O'Connor of Dunedin.
ASHWICK FLAT SCHOOL, near Fairlie. This school was opened in December, 1892. It consists of one room capable of accommodating sixty children. There are thirty-nine names on the roll, with an average attendance of thirty. The school stands on the corner of a fifty-acre section, the whole of which with the exception of about two acres, is reserved for the sole use of the master. The chief credit for establishing the school is due to Mr. Robert Allan of Ashwick Flat. Mr. S.N. Ormandy is at present (1903) in charge.
YATES, WILLIAM MELVILLE, formerly master of Ashwick Flat school, South Canterbury, was educated at the Bury Grammar School, England. He was English master in the Denbigh Grammar School, North Wales; and mathematical master in the High school, Sale Manchester, Mr Yates is an English certificated teacher, and holds certificates in eight subjects, from the Science and Art Department, South Kenington, London. He is the author on "Latin Prose Composition" (Macmillan) and of "Short Methods in Arithmetic" (Whitcombe and Tombs). Mr Yates studied vocal music in Manchester, under Henry Coy, Mus. Doc. (Oxon) and R.H. Wilson Mus. Bac. (Oxon), and was for a short tome a member of Sir Charles Halle's choir. He came to New Zealand in 1887 in the ss, "Tainui," and landed at Lyttelton. Mr Yates was for five years headmaster of the Lakeside school, North Canterbury. He is well known in musical circles, and was for two years paid choirmaster of the St. Andrews and Beaconsfield churches. Mr Yates was married in 1883, to the third daughter of Mr. James Robertson, a noted Edinburgh paper-maker and patentee, and author of "Hints on Papermaking."
THE CHURCH OF ST STEPHENS at Fairlie is built of wood and iron, and was erected in 1896. It is a good and well appointed church and has accommodation for about 100 adults. The site consists of half an acre and is centrally located in the township. Services are held morning and evening every Sunday. There is a Sunday School attended by twenty-one children in charge of three teachers. The vicar-in-charge resides at Pleasant Point.
THE GLADSTONE GRAND HOTEL, at Fairlie, was established in 1884. It is a modern brick building and stands on a two-acre section with a lawn and garden, surrounded by a plantation of trees. The hotel has thirty rooms, including a fine billiard room three sitting rooms, and two dining rooms. It is a favourite resort for tourists on their way to Mount Cook, and visitors always receive every consideration from the proprietor and his wife. His Excellency the Governor and Lady Ranfurly patronised this hotel on their way to and from Mount Cook.
Mr. NICHOLAS O'TOOLE, Proprietor of the Gladstone grand Hotel, was born in County Wicklow, Ireland, in 1849. He was educated at ST. Patrick's Seminary, Tullow County Carlow, and worked on his father's farm. At his father's death Mr O'Toole took over the management of the property and managed it until he sailed for New Zealand in 1879 by the ship "Hawarden Castle." He engaged in farm work and contract cropping at Waimate and in 1886 took up 370 aces, 170 of which he purchased from the Government. Mr O'Toole worked the property as an agricultural farm until he sold out, and took over the Gladstone Grand Hotel in 1901. He was appointed Justice of the Peace in 1895, and for some years a member of the Glenavy school committee, also served on the Domain Board. Mr O'Toole was married, in 1888, to a daughter of the late John Nolan, of Marshallstown, County Kildare, Ireland.
KERR AND FRAYNE (Hugh Kerr and Frank Frayne), Coach and Livery and Bait Stable Proprietors, Fairlie. This business was originally established by Mr. Thomas Shaw, and has greatly increased since it was taken over by the present proprietors in 1894. There are now two large stables with sheds necessary for accommodating the numerous vehicles, which include four covered-in coaches, a drag, four waggonettes, single and double buggies, as well as gigs. The proprietors keep thirty horses, exclusive of two valuable stallions, which are set aside for stud purposes. Tow years after acquiring the business the proprietors took over the contract for carrying mails between Fairlie and Mount Cook. During the tourist season, from 1st of November to the end of April, coaches are run to and from the Hermitage, at Mount Cook, on Tuesdays and Fridays. Photo of Messrs Kerr and Frayne's Coaches leaving Fairlie for Mount Cook outside the Gladstone Grand Hotel and Kerr and Frayne's Royal Mail Stables.
Mr. FRANK FRAYNE, Senior Partner in the Fairlie Livery and Bait Stables, was born in 1863 in Lancaster, England where hew received his education, He was bought up to stable work, and on coming to Lyttelton in 1882, went to Rangiora where he spent most of his time before taking over his present business in conjunction with Mr. Kerr in 1894. Mr. Frayne was married in 1899 to a daughter of Mr. Charles Evans of Kaiapoi.
BLACK, WALTER. Government Stock Inspector, Fairlie. Mr Black was born at Caroline, Southland in 1869, and was trained at a butcher and farmer. After being in Invercargill and Lumsden for fifteen years he worked on several sheep stations about Southland, until receiving an appointment as Government rabbiter at Thornbury, in 1888. Mr Black was afterwards agent at Lumsden for three years, and also at Clinton, Ophir and Tapanui, before receiving the present appointment at Fairlie in 1899. His boundaries include all Mackenzie county, and part of Geraldine and Mount Peel road district. Mr Black is specially interested in the Mackenzie county agricultural show, at which he is the largest exhibitor, and has been successful as a prize taker with horses, cows and garden produce. He is honorary secretary and treasurer of the local racing club. Mr Black was married, in 1892, to Miss Jaggers, daughter of one of the oldest settlers in Southland, and has three sons and three daughters.
DOPPING, ANTONY JOHN. Accountant and Commission Agent, Fairlie. Mr Dopping was born in Hampshire, England, in 1855 and received his education at Blackheath. After leaving college he went to Ceylon, where he engaged in coffee planting for eight years but owing to ill health returned to England in 1880, and a year later came to New Zealand. He landed at Auckland and thence going to Lyttelton became a cadet on Sir John Cracroft Wilson's station at Rangitata for two years. Mr. Dopping afterwards established his present business at Fairlie, where he holds agencies for the Manchester Fire and National Mutual Life Insurance Companies. He takes a general interest in local affairs, and is secretary for various clubs.
FODEN, THOMAS, Builder and Contractor, Fairlie. Mr Foden was born in 1850 in Staffordshire, England and came to Lyttelton by the ship "Mermaid" in 1886. He went to Timaru the same year and served an apprenticeship as a builder with Mr Samuel Harding. Mr Foden carried on his trade in the district for thirty years. He held the contract for the council chambers at Burke's Pass in 1877, the Hermitage, at Mount Cook in 1888, and Mr. E. Brown's residence at Temuka in 1892 besides several churches and the Catholic Boys' School at Timaru. In 1880 Mr Foden acquired a farm of 1000 acres at Silverstream and in 1891 settled at Fairlie, where he has a two-acre section, upon which his residence and workshop stand. He is a member of the local school committee and was the first chairman of the Silverstream school committee. Mr Foden has been connected with the Forresters' Court since 1877 and foundered the Lodge of Mackenzie Freemasons, for which he acted as secretary for five years. he was married, in 1870, to a daughter of the late Mr Edward Foden, of Staffordshire, England and has three sons and four daughters.
CROSS, CHARLES EDWARD, Farmer, Fairlie. Mr. Cross was born in 1877 at Christchurch, and was educated at Boys' High School there, and at Akaroa, where he became a cadet on Mr. G.J. Black's estate. In 1895 he went to Fairlie where with his brother he worked on his father's farm for four years, and was afterwards, until going to South Africa with the Third New Zealand Contingent, buying stock for Mr Acton-Adams. While in East London, Africa, Mr Cross received the Royal Society's Medal for rescuing a comrade from drowning. From Africa he went to England for six months , and returned to New Zealand in 1901. Mr Cross was among the seven selected from the Third Contingent to represent New Zealand at the coronation of King Edward VII. He returned to Fairlie in 1902.
CROSS, JAMES EDWARD U., Farm Manager, Fairlie. Mr. Cross was born in 1878, at Christchurch, where he received his education at the Boy's High School. On leaving school he went to Fairlie and afterwards became manager at "Rivermead," which was bought by his father in 1895. This farm comprises 140 acres, it is situated about two miles from Fairlie. It runs about 600 sheep, and there are several well bred and valuable horses. Mr Cross takes an interest in volunteering and is sergeant in the Mackenzie Mounted Rifles.
FARQUHAR, JOHN, Head Shepherd, Clayton, Fairlie. Mr Farquhar was born in the Braes of Angus, in Forfarshire, Scotland. in 1854. He came out to New Zealand in 1874 by the ship "Tweed," and landed in Otago. After has arrival Mr Farquhar followed station life at Benmore and the head of the Waitaki, and also in the Mackenzie Country. In 1880 he visited Cape Colony, where he joined the volunteers. He was in Baker's Horse during the trouble with the Basutos, and took part in a few skirmishes. In 1881 he returned to New Zealand, and resumed his usual employment. He was appointed to his present position in 1884. Mr Farquhar has generally taken an active part in athletic sports, and has frequently competed at the Caledonian Society's sports, and carried away first prize for throwing the hammer. He was married, in 1893, to Miss Allan, of Pleasant Point, and has two sons and one daughter.
HARRIS, EDWARD LIFFORD. Sheepfarmer, Fairlie. Mr Harries was born in Nelson, in 1851, and received his education in Dunedin. He was brought up to shepherding on various stations in the district of Waitaki and was for seven years on the Ohau Lake station, where he was head shepherd for some time. In 1887 he went to the North Island but returned to Otago after two years and resumed his former occupation. Mr Harris came to Canterbury in 1900 and took up his present holding of 2143 acres leasehold upon which he runs a flock of 1603 half and three-quarter bred ewes. His lease takes in the sheep yards, dip, outbuildings, and substantial stone built woolshed of the old Three Springs station. Mr. Harris was married in 1893. to a daughter of Mr. William Mason, of Christchurch, and has one son.
"MELVILLE DOWNS, " Fairlie (A.L. Macpherson, Wycherley Grove, Staffordshire, England, proprietor. This estate comprises 1835acres of freehold land, and is situated about seven miles from Fairlie, adjoining "Allandale" and "Trentham." It was formerly part of the Ashwick station, and in 1835 was purchased by the present proprietor. The land, which is nearly all cultivated and sown in grass is well fenced and subdivided into nineteen paddocks, carrying a flock of 2300 breeding ewes. The homestead is prettily situated on a terrace with a fine plantation of shelter trees surrounding it, and with all the necessary station buildings adjoining.
Mr Robert SCOTT. Manger of "Mellville Downs." was born in 1848, in Dumfries-shire, Scotland, where he received his education and followed the life of a shepherd. He was employed on several large farms in Sutherlandshire and in 1873 came to Port Chalmers by the ship "Dunfillian." he was head shepherd for Mr William Shand at the Taieri for two years, afterwards was at Ohoura station and Whale's back station as under manager for seven years. In 1885 Mr. Scott became manager for Captain Hayter at Rollesbury station and four years later was appointed to his present position. In 1902 he acquired for himself 813 acres of Melville Downs, and his placed is stocked with 800 ewes and 200 hoggets. Mr Scott was at one time a member of the Ashwick school committee, and has been a member of the Fairlie Farmers' Union, and a shareholder of the New Zealand Farmers' Co-operative Association since 1896. He was married, in 1877 to a daughter of the late Mr. Ronald McMillian of Waitaki. Photo of Mr and Mrs E.L. Harris and child.
MILNE, WILLIAM Farmer, Raincliff, Fairlie. Mr Milne was born in Otago and at an early age was brought to Canterbury by his parents who took up a farm at Ashwick Flat. He received education at Fairlie school and was brought up to farming and remained at home until his father left Ashwick Flat and took up a farm at Albury. Mr Milne was shearing for about ten seasons on various stations in the district and in 1893 leased 640 acres adjoining his father's property, which he used for sheep grazing purposes for four years. In 1899 he started a butcher's shop in Fairlie in conjunction with his brother-in-law, Mr Admason, and carried on the business for eighteen months, Mr Milne the turned his attention to farming again, and acquired 227 acres leasehold, and 209 acres of the Raincliff estate, and runs a flock of 900 crossbred sheep. Since 1900 he has been a member of the Mackenzie Mounted Rifles.
NIXON, JOHN, Farmer, "Springvale," Fairlie. Mr Nixon was born in 1843, in County Down, Ireland, where he passed his early years on his father's farm. In 1864 he came to New Zealand in the ship "William Miles," and during the succeeding year he passed six months in the Westland goldfields. On his return to Canterbury, he bought land which he carries on mixed farming, and fattens sheep for the export trade. The improvements at "Springvale" include a good dwelling house, necessary outbuildings, and a good garden and orchard, sheltered by two acres of plantation. Mr Nixon has served as a member of the local school committee and of the South Canterbury Agricultural Pastoral Association. He was married, in 1874, to Miss Curries, and has four sons and six daughters.
ROBINSON, JOHN, Farmer, Fairlie. Mr Robinson was born in 1851, in Westmorland, England, where he was educated, and brought up on his father's farm. He came to Dunedin in 1879, and was working for some time on the Taieri. Then he came to Canterbury. and was engaged in farm work at Peel Forest till 1880, when he went to Raincliff Station, where where he worked as a farm hand. He started cropping and contract farm, work in 1896. in 1897 he took up 498 acres of leasehold land close to Fairlie, where he carries on sheep and mixed farming. He is a member of the committee of the Mackenzie Agricultural Society. Mr Robinson was married, in 1897, to a daughter of Mr James Gallen, of County Tyrone, Ireland, and has one son and one daughter.
ROSS, JOHN, Farmer, Shinness Farm, Fairlie. Mr Ross was born in Shiness, Sutherlandshire, Scotland and was brought up to shepherding. He worked for five years on the Shinness Farm and for eleven years on the Forest Farm, Ross-shire. Mr Ross came to Lyttelton by the ship "Merope" in 1870 and went as shepherd on the Tekapo station for two years. He worked on several other runs and was managing Richmond station for some time. He worked to the North Island for two years; and on his return resumed management of "Richmond" for sixteen years. Mr Ross then, in conjunction with a partner, leased the Lilly-Bank run of 70,000 acres for several years. In 1891 he bought his present farm of 265 acres, which he named after his birthplace. He also leases four other properties in the district amounting in all to nearly 2000 acres, and his stock comprises 2200 sheep and 100 head of cattle. Mr Ross was for some time a member of the Mackenzie County Council and is now a member of the Timaru Agricultural Show Committee, and the Fairlie Oddfellows Lodge, and has a large interest in the local saleyards. Mr Ross married in 1878, to a daughter of the late Mr John Clarke, of Rose Hall, Scotland.
STRATHALLAN ESTATE, Fairlie, is the property of Messrs LeCren Brothers, and comprises 2600 acres. It was originally part of the Ashwick run and was purchased from the Crown in 1878 by Mr. F. Le Cren, father of the present owners. The property is devoted to grazing purposes, is divided into fourteen paddocks with sixteen miles of substantial fencing, and carries 3500 sheep. The improvements consist of a good dwelling house, an orchard and garden, blacksmith's shop, sheep dip and yards, and two stables - one for heavy horses and one for light horses; and the homestead is sheltered by a well grown plantation. The proprietors have with great judgement planted a number of trees in every paddock to provide winter shelter and summer shade for the stock. With a view of keeping the pastures in a state of well ordered renewal, Messrs Le Cren annually plough, and put down chiefly in rape and turnips. The grain grown on the state is consumed on it.
Mr F.J. LeCREN, the Senior Partner, was born in 1863 in Christchurch, and educated at Christchurch and Timaru, where he was in commercial life for five years, when he turned his attention to pastoral pursuits, which he followed for twelve years. In 1897 he went to reside at Strathallan. Mr LeCren has always taken an active part in athletic sports. While he was at school he won three silver cups, beside many minor prizes, and and since then has won two silver cups.
Mr C.J. LeCREN, the younger brother, was born in Timaru, and educated there and in Christchurch. He was for two years at the Agricultural College, Lincoln, and subsequently followed farming.
TROTTER, JOHN Farmer, "Punaroa," Fairlie. Mr Trotter was born in Ross-shire, Scotland, in 1860, and came to Port Chalmers in 1867 with his father, who was engaged by the New Zealand Company to manage the Totara estate in the Oamaru district. He received his education at Palmerston South and was brought up to farming. At the time of the Kimberley gold rush he went to Australia, but returned to New Zealand, which he thinks is far superior to Australia. In 1897 Mr Trotter bought 126 acres of the Eversley Farm, and two years later leased from the Government 496 acres, which he works as a sheep and agricultural farm. His property is well fenced and cultivated, and he has built a neat four roomed cottage with sun-dried bricks of his own manufacture, he crops about 180 acres, and runs a flock of 600 half bred and cross bred ewes. Mr Trotter is Immediate Past Master of Lodge Mackenzie, 93. New Zealand Constitution, with which he has been connected since 1894. He takes an active sports in all local affairs, and is steward of the Mackenzie Agricultural Society, and president of the Mackenzie jockey Club. Mr Trotter was married, in 1889, to a daughter of Mr. W. Brown, of Middlemarch, Otago and has one son and three daughters.
South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project
Otago Witness, 19 November 1902, Page 49
ASHWICK FLAT, FAIRLIE.
November 15. This locality has come to the front of recent years to such an extent that it certainly can justly claim recognition as playing its part in the general advancement of Fairlie as an inland township worthy of note; It is only a few years since this comparatively large expanse of level, flat, light soil, with abundance of stone, stood boldly out in all its native nakedness, undented by the pilgrim's epade or yeoman's plough. Then one brave knight of the soil took up a selection, and as is usually the case, others soon followed, until anything worth having was bought, and then our parental Government took charge of the remainder and had it apportioned into 'small grazing allotments under the perpetual lease system. They soon succeeded in settling the lot, under the local appellation of "Strugglers Flat." This state of affairs was only, of short duration, however, for soon it became apparent : that the settlement was worthy of better things. and little "cribs and steadings" were razed and in turn gave way to the present-day lot of smiling, comfortable homesteads, each with its sheltering belts of trees, orchards, gardens, etc., all betokening thrift and industry that might well be emulated in many a more congenial clime.
From their homes come hearty support to all manner of projects that are promoted in and about the district, and in Fairlie proper, and they even responded to the "call to arms" for service at the front. And well might the good folk here be proud of their sons who men's forth to do battle for their King and country, and to the honour and glory of their parents. This was exemplified in a marked manner on the evening of the 7th inst., when there assembled a representative gathering in the local school on the occasion of a complimentary social to several young troopers, particularly Corporal B. Allen and Trooper D. Harvey, whose parents reside in the immediate vicinity. The corporal accepted service in the Third Contingent, and afterwards joined the Sixth, with which he earned his stripe. He had just further demonstrated his pluck and stamina by joining the Ninth Contingent at Capetown, when he received the glad intelligence that he had beep accepted to represent his county as a member of the Coronation Contingent certainly a fitting reward for such continuous and worthy service. What greater compliment could be paid the people than to possess a son ; chosen for so august an occasion. Though Trooper Harvey had not the opportunity of playing so distinguished a part, his congenial manner and general popularity bear testimony that it was his misfortune, and not his fault. To say that the room was packed quite in adequately describes- the attendance, and when : it is known that no less than 51 couples took part in the Grand March on the opening of the dance that followed supper, it can easily be understood that the room was by no means small. A little incident in connection with the carrying out of this social may be mentioned. The local corps of M.M.R. was holding its annual training camp at Fairlie, and on this particular evening Captain Hamilton, officer commanding, paraded his company for outpost scouting duty. After putting in some useful field work, he gave his men a short address, dwelling on the value of good comradeship, and intimated his intention to be present at a social, and would be pleased to see as many of the men there as cared to come along, that those who did not could fall out and return -to camp under command of the sergeant-major.. ..On reaching the school the usual toasts and complimentary speeches, intermingled with general conviviality and enjoyment were indulged in till about 10.30 when the volunteers fell out, and a most enjoy dance followed, lasting till well into the morning, and breaking up with" the singing "Auld lang syne."
Otago Witness stacks at Goodman, Atikenson, and W. Bain.
Timaru Herald, 13 November 1877, Page 8
At Silver Stream a good-sized hotel is also being built of the white limestone which abounds everywhere in this part of the country. When properly understood and appreciated, this will some day be very generally used and exported, for it is almost as easily worked, is harder, not so porous, and consequently rot so dump, and never turns such a hideously yellow-green color as the Oamaru stone. A post-office is established here at the wool-scouring works, opposite the property of Captain Boss. We noticed that the iron roof, and even rafters, of a large house occupied by Mr Cooper were completely blown away by the late north-westerly gales. Some of the sheets of iron were, we bear, carried nearly a mile distant. The wind is felt very keenly when blowing from a north-westerly direction. The trees planted at the Three Springs Station by Mr Kimbell are all inclining at a very decided angle towards the South East.. Ashwick station lies about half a mile to the north of the road, opposite Mr Kimbell's. Soon after passing this point the road winds round into the Pass, along a rough stony valley which is about half-a-mile wide on an average, and about six miles long. The mountains do not rise abruptly on either side, as we had imagined, but slope up in broken tussock-covered hills. Down the glen constant al reams low into the Opihi river below. The present road crosses this river several times, but the Road Board are forming a new one along the base of the hills on the western side, which will obviate this. Mr John Gibson, the contractor, has a great many men at work on it, so that in a month or two it will be completed.
Timaru Herald, 17 January 1893, Page 2
The meeting of the Mackenzie County Medics Committee was held at the County Council office, Fairlie, on Saturday evening last. The members present were : Messrs F. B. Gillingham (chairman), T. B. Seddon, B. Rutherford and B. L. Banks. Applications with Testimonials were received from the medical men for the position of resident doctor, and after due consideration Dr Douglas D. Dryden, of Dunedin, was appointed. It was resolved that the secretary have an agreement drawn up for signature upon the basis of the conditions agreed upon.
South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project