Mr Duval not only designed churches, schools, furniture, homesteads and other public building but he was active in the community volunteering his time, skills and energy. He arranged concerts, a had great skill of organising, was choir master for twelve years, a labour of love, cultivating a love of music in Timaru, sang at events, conducted, sketched for the newspapers, acted in plays, wrote letters to editors of various newspapers, lectured on points of local concern, a committee member for many different societies, architect to the Board of Education for Timaru and raised a family and left a legacy, the churches, a fine memorial. photo
By the time he left he had designed most of South Canterbury's Catholic churches.
St. Mark - A beautiful old Anglican Church tucked in on High Street, Otipua, on a hill, built from local bluestone with Oamaru stone facings. It belongs to Otipua Kensington Parish. The architect was Maurice de Haren Duval, a Belgium, who was in New Zealand for eighteen years from 1877 to 1895. The church was consecrated by Bishop Churchill Julius in 1893. George Russell gave 2½ acres to the Church Property Trustees as a site for the church and vicarage. There is only one service a month, at 9 am on the first Sunday every month.
St. Mark is tucked in the trees and very picturesque, beautiful bathed in autumn leaves. Otipua is a little village about 10-12km south west of Timaru on Beaconsfield Road before you get to the Pareora West Cemetery (about 3kms further on.) The Church St Mark is off Beaconsfield Road at the Otipua village, on High Street, a dead end street with only the Church on it. bell tower
Evening Post, 10 September 1880, Page 2 Timaru
The foundation stone of the new St. Mark's Church was laid to-day by the Dean of Christchurch, in the presence of a large concourse of people. The Primate was unable to attend, through ill-health. Several thousand pounds have already boon promised towards its cost.
The stone at the front door.
Trower, S. "The Anglican Church in South Timaru: Union of the Kensington-Otipua Districts." University of Canterbury M.A. Dissertation in History, 1981.
Maurice De Harven Duval married Christina Jacobsen 12 June at 1876 Timaru
Birth: On September 25, 1877 the wife of M. De Harven Duval of a daughter
Birth: On the 10th of December, the wife of M. de H. Duval of a son, still-born
Birth: At Timaru, on the 26th May, 1880 the wife of Mr M. de H. Duval, of a son
Birth: On September 7th, 1881 the wife of M de H. Duval, of a daughter
Birth: On the 10th April, 1883 at Timaru, the wife of M. de H. Duval, of a daughter.
Birth: On the 28th June, 1884 the wife of M. de H. Duval, of a daughter.
Birth: On the 6th June,1886 the wife of M. de H. Duval, of a daughter.
Death : On the 27th February 1887, Geraldine Ethel Marie, infant daughter of M. de H. Duval, aged 9 months.1901 Census England - born in New Zealand Edgar Duval 1 New Zealand Dorset Bradpole Entire Edgar Duval 11 New Zealand London Streatham Harold Duval 20 New Zealand London Streatham Ada Duval 19 New Zealand London Streatham Christina Duval 54 New Zealand London Streatham Mabel Duval 17 New Zealand London Streatham Marie Duval 16 New Zealand London Streatham Maud Duval 23 New Zealand London Streatham
Incomplete list of his projects
Wise's New Zealand Directory 1878-9 pg 5 Duval H.M. architect William st.
Lisava House, an imposing brick and plaster mansion, at 1 Lisava Avenue, Timaru was designed by Mr Duval pre 1891 ...what a gorgeous place even though the fence is very high and trees surround it, making it difficult to see. Mr O'Driscoll who had the house built was the owner of the Hibernian Hotel but only lived in it a very short time after it was built as he died October 1891 of peritonitis at the age of 32. Dr Chris Stubbs and family did live there in the 1970s and 1980s.
Timaru Herald, 26 February 1880, Page 7
Two extensive new buildings, the plans of which have been described at different limes in our columns, namely, the new post and telegraph offices in George street and Mr Hoare's hotel in the South road, are rapidly approaching completion. The main work of construction of the public offices is finished. The bricklayers are now at work on the clock tower, and the plasterers are busy coating the exterior walls with stucco. Mr Hoare's new hotel on the South road is progressing towards completion. The builders are now at work on a southern wing or extension over the site occupied by a portion of the old building which was left standing until a part of the now building could be utilised. The writer has commenced work, and judging from the three or four specimens of decorated window now in place, the front will be quite a gay one when finished. A new brick building is in course of erection for Mr Bowker on the section adjoining the Union Bank, on the south side. This building has been designed by Mr Duval mainly to meet the requirements of on auctioneer's business. It will be of one storey, and the larger portion of the door space will be occupied by an auction room. The building has a frontage of 66ft on the South rand, on which will upon four shops, each 20ft long, 13ft wide, and 15ft high in the clear, and a vestibule 12ft wide and 20ft long, leading to the auction room at the back of the shops, 65ft long, 25ft wide, and 16ft high. At the rear of the auction room -will be a shed 66ft long and 20ft wide, intended for the sale of horses, etc. The floor of the vestibule and a portion of the floor of the auction room will be laid in asphalte of the kind used in the construction of the streets of Paris, which will allow of the safe movements of horses and vehicles. The front elevation is very neat, its chief features being rustic pilasters, surmounted by ornamental vases, a figured parapet, and a tall pediment over the entrance of the vestibule. The contractor, Mr Filmer, has made good progress since the building was commenced, a short time ago, and we may expect to see this neat and useful addition to our place of business ready for occupation at on early date.
Timaru Herald, 22 December 1882, Page 2
Messrs Peacock and Geaney's Zealandia Butchery. Another excellent building has been added the business premises of Timaru and will today be used for intended purpose for the first time. This is Messrs Peacock and Geaney's "Zealandia Butchery," at the corner of Church and Sophia streets. The premises consist of a butcher shop, salting cellar , living rooms, with outbuilding containing a smoke house and 8 stalled stable. The ceiling is kauri, neatly panelled and varnished. There are four windows, each with show boars and polished iron rail, the small goods windows being covered with a marble slab and each table is lighted with a couple of gas jets. Beneath the shop is a cellar of the same area, 30ft share and about 9ft high. This will be used for salting, and a sausage machine will be placed here with a water engine to drive it. Both water and gas are laid on to the celler. It is paved with hard burned bricks set in cement and the floor slopes down to a sink connected with the Church street sewer. Mr Duval was the architect. Mr Filmer was the contractor. Mr. Palliser taking a subcontract for stone work and plastering.
Timaru Herald, 3 October 1891, Page 2
Messrs Bower and Ferguson have supplied and have now on view, the trowel which is to be used on Sunday, the 11th met , at the ceremony of laying the foundation stone of the Marist Brothers' home. The trowel is made of silver, has an. ivory handle, and is chastely engraved, the border being particularly neat. On the blade is the following inscription : " Presented to the Right Rev Dr. J. J. Grimes, Bishop of Christchurch, on the occasion of laying the foundation stone of the Marist Brothers' House. Timaru, October 11th 1891. Rev J. Foley, S.M.P.P. M. de H. Duval, architect. E. Hall, contractor."
Left because with a family to provide
for, it was impossible for him to remain, the professional outlook being blank.
Timaru Supreme Court
- Bankruptcy Minutes - DUVAL Maurice de Harven, 9 May 1894 - Christchurch Archives
On the eve of his departure.
Mr Duval has been a resident of Timaru for over nineteen years, and among the monuments of his professional work in the district are the Convent building and many of the public schools and the Timaru Theatre.
Timaru Herald Saturday June 15 1895
Yesterday afternoon about five and twenty professional and business men, including a large proportion of builders and others connected with the building trade assembled at the courthouse to make a presentation to Mr Duval, and formally bid him farewell. Mr D. Stuart presided and asked Mr Howley to begin the proceedings by reading the address which had been prepared. The address which was very nicely written and illuminated by Mr G.W. Wade, was as follows: To Mr Maurice de Harven Duval, architect, Timaru, about to leave the colony for his native land. On the eve of your departure from Timaru, we take this opportunity of wishing you, Mrs Duval and family, farewell and God speed, ... having resided amongst us for eighteen years. A photograph of Mr Duval "bit of Winchester." The chairman Messrs J. Scott (Waihao), E. Hall, Major Bamfield, Messrs Grandi, Craigie, Hardcastle and Lough spoke on the occasion. Mr D. Stuart, Mr D. Wade, Mr Howley.. Mr Scott spoke at some length on the value Mr Duval had been as an intellectual unit of society in Timaru from the comprehensiveness and depth of his reading, especially in subjects political and historical, and referred to what he had done to improve the architectural taste of South Canterbury, mentioning some of the schools he had built, and the Timaru theatre, the nicest of its size in the colony. Mr Grandi reminded the company of the fine memorial Mr Duval was leaving behind him in the convent building whose interior, he was greatly surprised to learn, was even of greater excellence than its noble exterior promised. Mr Craigie spoke from an extensive experience of taste which Mr Duval had displayed in all cases in making his buildings suit the character of their purposes. Mr Hardcastle added a few words on the good work their guest had done in cultivating a love of music in Timaru; and Mr E.J. Lough mentioned the reformation he had produced in the character of public functions by the skill of his organisation.
Mr Duval's reply was much interrupted by emotion. As for the praises that had been bestowed upon his professional skill, the results were but poor specimens as he had had to work always under the colonial rule of providing 30s worth of work at 20s expense. At a later stage in the proceeding Mr Duval said that it was a great wrench to him having to leave Timaru after twenty years residence but explained in some detail, it is impossible for five architects to make a living in a town and a district where there is but a moderate amount of work for one. The banks are all built, financial and commercial companies are all housed, and it was simply impossible to look for an expenditure of £25,000 a year on dwellings, and that sum must be spent to give even a modest livelihood to five architects. There were, no less than 253 professional architects advertised in NZ and not more than £800,000 had been spent on buildings, while in Glasgow in 1893 only 47 architects and £929,000 spent.
On 17th June 1881 Mr De H Duval, North street, Timaru advertised in the lost and found column in the Timaru Herald for a "lost, stolen or strayed - from my residence, one White French Poodle SLUT, answering to the name Snow. 10s reward and in the Timaru Herald on Monday October 15 "Lost on Sunday between my residence and Woollcombe Street a Gold Cross." A reward was also offered.
31 August 1878 - In the first issue of the Geraldine County Chronicle on the front-page was a sketch of Caroline Bay by Duval showing the beach as it was and as it would be.
New Zealand Tablet, 31 October 1879, Page 15
The following correspondence is given to-day without any comment. It appears to us nothing need be added to the letters themselves further than a bare statement of a few facts to enable the public to form a just judgment on the subjects to which they relate. We may add Bishop Moran has received Mr. Duval's permission to publish this letter.
Timaru, October 23rd 1879. "My LORD, On Tuesday last the Rev. Mr. Green, from Dunedin, delivered a lecture here in Timaru on "Martin Luther, the Monk who shook the World." I went out of curiosity to hear him, I may say with the intention of replying to him should he misrepresent facts. As I fully expected, the whole of the lecture was nothing but a mass of abuse and misrepresentations of facts and of the Catholic Church. But in the course of his lecture he stated the following :: ' Romanists believe that no matter whether a man has faith or not, provided he partakes of the sacraments at the hand of a priest properly ordained by a Bishop, who has been ordained by the Pope, who claims apostolical descent, he is (the poor Papist) bound to be saved, and in illustration of this, he said that a few weeks ago he happened to be in an hospital in Dunedin where a few beds from where he was lay a poor Papist who was cursing and blaspheming. The priest came to him, said a few words to the poor man, who at once began to curse at the priest ; a curtain was placed round the bed, the priest took out a small box and a prayer book, began to read some Latin payers, and then opened the box and gave the poor man a wafer, which he put in his mouth ; the poor deluded wretch kept cursing all the him. The priest left him in that state, and the poor fellow died with curses and oaths on his lips, fully believing that the priest having said or mumbled a few prayers, and given him the wafer, he would be saved, and at once admitted into the kingdom of God. It is thus that the Priests, Bishops, and Popes, keep these poor Romanists in blindness, throw a veil over their eyes, and send poor creatures into Eternity, without faith or love of Jesus Christ relying simply on outward forms. I could scarcely contain myself from rising up and calling on him to name the priest who had committed such a ....... Should your Lordship think it good or wise for me to do so, or better to let this slander go unnoticed, I will abide by whatever your Lordship may decide. But I thought it but right that I should acquaint you Lordship with these tacts before taking any steps. Trusting that your Lordship will not blame me for troubling you with this matter, I beg leave to remain your Lordship's most humble servant, "Maurice del Duval, " Architect, Timaru.
New Zealand Tablet, 4 February 1881, Page 17
THE NEW CATHOLIC SCHOOL.
(From the Waimate Times.) Decidedly the handsomest building devoted to scholastic purposes in this district is the new Catholic school, now receiving the finishing touches, just erected in Cameron street, Waimate. It is not strictly of any particular order of architecture, and may be described as composite, though Gothic features predominate. The building, which is 30 feet in height to ridge, stands lengthwise to the street, and has two gabled porches, one at each end, united by a verandah, the chimney of elegant design, flanking a light and pretty belfry being brought in by the skill of the architect as highly ornamental features. The material is brick, the inside walls being plastered, and the outer faced with compo', so as not to be distinguishable from stone. In the gables the letters A.D. and the figures 1880 intertwined are inserted in relieve in white stone panels which, with corresponding quoins, show out in pleasing, but not severe contrast with the light fawn colour of the outside work generally. The roof contrasts well in the rich brown hue peculiar to hematite paint, and the woodwork of the eaveboards, and the pretty iron crosses which form the gable finials, are all being picked out in bronze. Altogether the appearance of the building is exceedingly pretty and tasteful. The schoolroom, which is 70 feet by 30 feet in floor space, with a height to the (plastered) ceiling of 16 feet, is dado-lined, with varnished kauri, to a height of 5 feet, the same description of timber being used for the flooring, and is abundantly lighted, having a triple-light window at the east and west ends, and six single-lights on the north and two on the south side. It is provided with two fire places, and is being fitted up with suitable bookcases, desks, ice. There also appears to be very satisfactory provision for ventilation. The porches, each 10 feet by 10 feet, are furnished with lavatories, the water for which is supplied from two reservoirs in the roof, capable of containing 10,000 gallons, whence also pipes descend to drinking fountains accessible from without, but to which the supply can be cut off by the master at will. The verandah will afford ample shelter in wet weather, having 41 feet by 10 feet 6 inches of floor space, and in fine weather, could, if needed, be used as a class room. It is floored with concrete. The architect is Mr. M. de H. Duval, the clerk of works, Mr. Delaney, the contractor for the building, Mr. N. Murphy, and for the painting, Mr. Knight, all of Timaru, and the edifice which is the result of their joint endeavours is a credit to air parties concerned. The contract was signed on the 29th September, and the building will be handed, over completed in all particulars within the current month. Its cost will be fully £1000, or with fittings £1100, and it speaks volumes for the liberality of the members of the church, to which it belongs, when we say that, every penny of that large sum has been contributed, and that it will be entirely free of debt.
North Otago Times, 26 April 1883, Page 2
Timaru. April 25.
The new Theatre Royal was formally opened last night by an amateur operatic company. Mr Moss Jonas, the proprietor, and Mr Duval, the architect, were called before the curtain at the close of the performance. The improvements and alterations to the theatre have cost nearly L5000, and theatrical agents say that for its size, it is the best and most complete in the colonies. It will hold about 1000 people.
Timaru Herald, 8 June 1883, Page
An ordinary meeting of the South Canterbury Board of Education was held yesterday. Present - Rev G. Barclay (Chairman). Dr Foster, Messrs R. A. Barker, S.W. Goldsmith, M. Gray, W. J. Steward, E. Wakefield, and R. B. Walcot.
New schools in wood have also been erected for the districts of Albury, Gapes' Valley, Seaview, Kingsdown, Makikihi, and Redcliff, at a cost of about £250 each, including furniture and apparatus. The Milford, Kakahu, and Waitohi Flat schools have been enlarged by the addition of class rooms, at a cost in each case of £150.
Mr M. de H. Duval, 2½ per cent on executed contracts, with right to charge contractors for extra copies of plans, up to 1 per cent on contracts up to £1000, and ½ per cent over £1000...
North Otago Times, 25 August 1883, Page 2
Timaru. August 24
At the District Court to-day, judgment was given in the case Duval v. the South Canterbury Board of Education. Plaintiff, who was lately architect to the board, claimed Ll2O, and the board paid in L 26. Judgment was given for L 72, including the amount paid into court.
Timaru Herald, 20 January 1885, Page 2
Mr C. Bowker lately had plans prepared and called for tenders for alternations to the lower fronts of those shops which are collectively known as "Bowker's Buildings." The architect for the work is Mr M. de H. Duval, and Mr Alex. Sinclair has been chosen to carry it out. The alterations are extensive. Complete new fronts are to be put and the shops except the one now used as a stationery and book dept. The window frames will be set much lower than the old ones, will be glared with plate glass, 11ft by 6ft 6in.
New Zealand Tablet, 5 March 1886, Page 21
CARDINAL MORAN AT TIMARU
(South Canterbury Times, February 16.) A very large crowd was on the platform of the railway station this afternoon to meet the southern express, which brought His Eminence Cardinal Moran and other dignitaries of the Roman Catholic Church, to Timaru. At five minutes past three punctually the train arrived and the Rev. Fathers Foley, Regnault, Fauvel, and O'Hallahan with several lay members of the Church were in attendance to receive His Eminence. It had been arranged that no address should be delivered on the occasion, and the procession, headed by M. de H. Duval and Mr. J. D. Kett followed by the Cardinal and Dr. Redwood, the Bishop of Wellington, attended by His Eminence's Chaplain and (Secretary passed along the platform. Carriages kindly lent for the occasion by Mrs. Godby, Mr. White, and others were in attendance, and on the Cardinal taking his seat several floral offerings were presented to him. The other carriages contained their Lordships Bishops Reynolds (of Adelaide), Murray (of Maitland, N.S.W.), Moran (of Dunedin) ; and Luck (Auckland). Mr. M. de H. Duval has placed his house at the disposal of Father Foley, for His Eminence's use, and thither the party was driven, marks of respect being shown throughout the route to His Eminence and acknowledged by him.
New Zealand Tablet, 12 August 1887, Page 13
A REPLY TO THE TIMARU LETTERS.
TO THE EDITOR N Z. TABLET. Mr. Duval, as a foreigner, having candidly admitted his inability to understand the mystery involved in the question regarding the usefulness of Irish versus foreign priests, has justly described his true position in the controversy, and consequently places himself without the pale of those whose opinions should have due weight on all the points at issue. I certainly admit that foreigners and others who cannot see the hidden spring underlying the whole question cannot otherwise than view the whole discussion as so much waste I breath. To foreigners unacquainted with Irish history it is unknown perhaps that about 50 years ago, the English Government of the day, unsolicited and without any previous symptoms of their benevolent intentions, suddenly proposed to endow the Catholic Church in Ireland, and thus place it on an equal footing with that of the English Church, as by law established ; saving that, in the election of Irish Catholic bishops, the Crown was to exercise the prerogative of the veto against such candidates as Dublin Castle could not approve of. The Irish people, before the full development of the scheme became manifest, were astounded at this sudden and unexpected proposition from their ancient enemies. What a change of front. after centuries of sacrilegious spoliation, to this liberal lestitutioc of ancient rights. As the magnitude of the question required its being referred to Rome, the Propaganda, as in a similar instance in Dublin over the election the Archbishop, would not supersede the wishes of the Irish priesthood, but referred it back for their decision. After due reflection, when the people woke up to the true nature of the scheme, and perceived and weighed the motives which actuated the Government, they rejected with scorn, and flung back those proffered church endowments, they could now see these emoluments were the price offered in exchange for their nationality. For, once the priesthood became the pensioners of the State, that moment the bond of national union, which linked them to the people, was severed for aye, and Ireland ceased to be a nation. England's task in governing that island would only be a matter of a little more expense, and would require no bolts or bars as now-a-days to confine a Father Keller or Byan. But, though checkmated on the at occasion, the Government have never yet given up the little game ; they only have changed their tactics, by employing the services of an Irish Errington or an English Howard to work up a sensation in Rome in order to influence the elections of Irish bishops. Is it any wonder that, knowing the insidious designs of a non-Catholic Government, which when challenged in the House of Commons over the Errington intrigue could not clear their emissary from the indictments laid to his charge, the Irish people would resent the insult that, even in matters purely Catholic and within their own rights, the exterminators of their race and the gaolers of their priests will still dictate to them. Hence it is that foreigners cannot appreciate the intensity of feeling that stirs the Irishman's heart when the question affects both his honour and his nationality, and that when they attempt to solve such questions as have arisen in the present discussion, they must in the end leave them where they find them, I am, etc. , DONAL ABOO.
New Zealand Tablet, 10 February 1888, Page 11
ST. MARY'S BRANCH, NO. 193, TIMARU. The half-yearly meeting of the above Branch was held on January 15 ; the President, Brother Tymonds, in the chair. After the usual preliminary business was disposed of the election of officers for the ensuing six months was proceeded with, and resulted as follows : President, H. P. Madden ; Vice- President, T. Sheey ; Secretary, M. F. Dennehy ; Treasurer, M. Crannitch ; Warden, J. Kelly ; Guardian, P. O Shea; Sick Visitors, Brothers P. Kane and J. Maloney. The retiring President then installed each officer in his respective position, and congratulated the members on their choice of officers. Votes of thanks were passed to the retiring President, to the Rev. Chaplain, Father Foley, and to the other retiring officers. A committee was also formed consisting of the officers of the Branch, the Rev. chaplain, and Brothers O'Driscoll, Lynch, Burns, and C. C. McCarthy, for the purpose of drawing up an address to be presented on behalf of the Society to his Lordship the Very Rev. Dr. Grimes, on his arrival in Timaru. The address is to be illuminated and framed. The illuminating is to be entrusted to the able hands of Mr. Duval.
New Zealand Tablet, 22 June 1888, Page 5
Through some cause, Mr. Duval who has been acting as choirmaster, with perhaps some short intervals, for the last 12 years, has given up his charge This is much to be regretted, as the loss of Mrs. Filmer, who leaves for Melbourne, with that of Mr. Lynch and others of minor consequence, will considerably weaken the choir numerically. As the duty of rendering the choir as efficient as the material at his command permitted was apparently to Mr. Duval a labour of love, his defection at this critical period is doubtless the result of pressure of private business, or perhaps owing to the want of grit in the " leaders " of his party.
New Zealand Tablet, 2 August 1889, Page 7
ST. MARY'S PARISH, CHRISTCHURCH. The building is to cost £2,300, and is estimated to hold 800 people. Mr. Duval, of. Timaru, is the architect.
Timaru Herald Monday 14 October 1889 pg2
On Thursday the Rev. Father Foley, accompanied by Mr M De H Duval the architect, went to Fairlie Creek to lay out the foundations of the Catholic Church to be built there, the contract for which has been let to Mr W. Young of Geraldine. On Sunday, 27th inst., the foundation stone will be laid by the Right Rev. Dr. Grimes, Bishop of Christchurch, with the full ceremonial used on such occasions; a large gathering may be expected. The site is a five acre section near the railway station.
North Otago Times, 13 June 1890, Page 3
June 12. Mr Duval, architect, lectured last night on the defects in the hospital drainage, and, as a result, a petition is being signed asking the Board to obtain a report from an outside expert.
New Zealand Tablet, 25 April 1890, Page 15
MARY'S CHURCH, CHRISTCHURCH.
Favoured by " Queen's weather," the ceremony of laying the foundation stone of the new church now commenced by the Catholics of North Christchurch was performed yesterday. His Grace, having blessed the water used in laying the stone, proceeded to the north-east corner, where it was in readiness. Mr. M. H. Duval, the architect, handed his Grace a handsome silver trowel on which was engraved, " Presented to his Grace Archbishop Redwood, Metropolitan of Wellington, on the occasion of laying the foundation stone of St. Mary's R.C. Church, Christchurch. Apr 20, 1890." The stone having been placed in position, a casket was inserted the two daily papers of April 19, a Pope's medal, one each of St. Benedict and St. Patrick, and a crucifix, besides a com of each kind. It also container a parchment on which the particulars of the foundation ceremony were inscribed in Latin. His Grace then lowered the stone, declared it well an! truly laid, and blessed it.
New Zealand Tablet, 27 February 1891, Page 15
OPENING OF A NEW CONVENT AT WAIMATE
An important ceremony in connection with the Catholic Church took place at Waimate, on Sunday, February 15, when the Rev. S. Cummings, administrator of the diocese, opened the new convent, which is dedicated to the memory of the first martyr of Australasia, the Blessed Peter Chanel. The building has been erected at a cost of £800, from designs supplied by Mr. Duval, of Timaru. The need of the establishment was long felt by the parishioners, and all classes contributed generously towards its erection, £640 being collected through the instrumentality of the Rev. Father Regnault within four months. Allen McLean, Esq., with his usual generosity, contributed £50. The Sisters of St. Joseph, who have lately arrived from Sydney, will henceforth conduct the parish schools. The Very Rev. Father Cummings preached to large congregations at each of the services held during the day. In the morning High Mass was celebrated by the Rev. Father Regnault.
New Zealand Tablet, 24 July 1891, Page 13
July 18, 1891. Sunday, the 21st June, being the tri-centenary of St. Aloysius, the Catholics of Timaru, being with the faithful throughout the Catholic world. The choir, under the conductorship of Mr Duval, sang the usual hymns, the multitude kneeling, after which the Rev Father imparted the Benediction.
New Zealand Tablet, 4 September 1891, Page 18
TIMARU. August 31, 1891. On Tuesday, 25th, the members of the Aloysian Catholic Union gave us a treat in the school-room, which took the form of " Trial by Jury,' Mr Duval taking the part of judge, Mr Thomas Kenny that of register, Mr Coghlan, tipstaff ; Mr Dennehy, counsel for the prosecution ; and Mr Corcoran, counsel for the defence. Mr Charles Niall acted the part of defendant, under the cognomen of Collorum Nipp, and Mr James Collins that of plaintiff as Jonathan Spooner.
New Zealand Tablet, 16 October 1891, Page 29
Another addition to the large and costly appliances provided for the education of Catholic children in this town and neighbourhood was formally commenced yesterday (Sunday), afternoon, when, in the presence of a large concourse of people, estimated at over two thousand in number, the Right Rev. Dr. Grimes, Bishop of the Roman Catholic diocese of Christchurch, laid the foundation stone of a residence for the Marist Brothers who have just taken charge of the parish boys' school. The site of the residence has a frontage to the West Belt, is close to the school, and is already fairly well secluded by a well-grown belt of trees round the little section. M de H. Duval, architect ; Emile Hall, contractor of work.
New Zealand Tablet, 16 October 1891, Page 27
(Monday 5) afternoon the Rev Brothers Basil and Alfred arrived by the northern express, and were met by Father Foley at the station and at once conducted to their temporary residence on the Town Belt. Two other Brothers, Daniel and Vincent, are expected to-morrow: The Rev Father Foley then read the following address, which had been .illuminated by Mr M. de H. Duval. and was signed by James Foley, S.M., Eugene Pertuis, S.M., Anthony Lace, Thomas O'Driscoll, T. L. Harney, T. Burns, D. Mahoney, M. Mullin, D. O'Shea, T. Sheehy, John Delaney, John O'Dowd, H. Geaney, and M. de H. Duval : "To the Little Brothers of Mary. Dear Reverend Brothers, We, the priests and people of this parish of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Timaru, heartily welcome you amongst up. ..
New Zealand Tablet, 16 October 1891, Page 5
On Sunday the Rev. Father announced at last Mass that his Lordship Dr. Grimes would lay the foundation-stone of the Marist Brothers' house on Sunday, the 11th October, at 3 o'clock in the afternoon, and exhorted all present to do their duty on that day. The building would be a standing memorial of their faith and self-denial, an ornament to the parish, and a credit to the people and to the architect, Mr M. de H. Duval.
New Zealand Tablet, 24 March 1893, Page 20
TIMARU. The annual celebration of the local branch of the Hibernian Society took place on St Patrick's evening in the shape of a concert and social held in the Assembly Rooms. The various other lodges were represented in regalia, the president (Bro Patrick O'Shea) according one and all a hearty welcome. The committee under whose management the social was arranged were Messrs P. O' Shea (president), Corcoran (vice-president), Moloney (treasurer), Crannitch, Sullivan, Kelly, Quirk, Lane, and Dennehy, while the last named and Mr Duval arranged the concert.
New Zealand Tablet, 24 March 1893, Page 7
The erection of a new church at Leeston, which has been the general topic of conversation here amongst Catholics for the past few months, is now about to be an accomplish fact, as the Rev Father Chervier and his committee have accepted a tender for its erection. The foundation-stone will be laid by his Lordship Dr Grimes in the course of a few weeks. The building, which will be built of brick, will cost about £2000, and will seat about 450 people. It has been designed by Mr Duval, of Timaru, who is the architect, and when finished will be a credit to all concerned, besides being quite an ornament to the township of Leeston.
New Zealand Tablet, 29 June 1894, Page 9
The choir on last Sunday rendered Winters' Mass, the soloists were Miss McGuinness (soprano) Misses McKennah, and Mrs Sidney Wolf (altos), Messrs Duval and McKennah (basses). The Mass, though rendered frequently here, was scarcely recognised on last Sunday. The conductor, Mr Wolf, has made an extraordinary improvement in a short time. The voices are improving as well as the manner of rendition, the beautiful music of the Masses being tellingly interpreted. As an offertory Mr Duval sang, Pro Peccatis. Father Tubman was celebrant.
There were too many architects in the country chasing too little work.
1890 - Tenders invited for the erection in brick at Kingsdown for Mr. Edward George Kerr, an early owner of the Timaru Herald. TH. 21 Oct. "Harlau", 253 Beaconfield Rd, Fairview, for E.G. Kerr. Its walls are made of triple brick. Named after his children: Harold and Laura. It remained in the Kerr family as a farm homestead until the late 1970s. In 2009 it was set on 3.3ha and includes swimming pool and expansive gardens. The house for sale by tender and had a rateable valuation of $820,000.
Taranaki Herald, 16 October 1906, Page 5
Timaru, October. 16. Mr Edward George Kerr, managing director of the Timaru Herald and South Canterbury Times, died this morning, after a painful illness. Deceased , who had been ailing from Bright's disease leaves six sons and six daughters. He was a native of Glasgow.
Ashburton Guardian, 16 October 1906, Page 2
Timaru, Oct 16 Obit.
Mr E.G. Kerr, managing director of the "Timaru Herald" Co., and formerly proprietor of the "Timaru Herald" and "South Canterbury Times," died this morning, after a painful illness. He came to New Zealand in 1861 in the Sebastopol, and settled in Kaiapoi , and remained there until 1877, when he came to Timaru as a journalist, first acting as correspondent for the " Lyttelton Times." He bought the "South Canterbury Times" in 1881, and the "Timaru Herald" in 1887, and was also a large shareholder and a director of the " Lyttelton Times " Company when he died. The deceased did his share in pubic work for many years. He was five years mayor of Kaiapoi, and served on several useful South Canterbury local bodies. He has been ailing from Bright's disease for the past six years, and was 61 years of age. He leaves four sons and six daughters, Mrs Kerr nee Goldthorpe, a young Cheshire lady, having pre-deceased her husband by a few years. His eldest son George is manager of the Timaru Herald.
Edward George Kerr, Newspaper Proprietor. b. 1845, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland. Married in 1861 daughter of S. Goldthorpe, Cheshire. A storekeeper in Kaiapoi for some years. Spent ten years at the 'Lyttelton Times' as an agent and correspondent in North Canterbury. Moved to South Canterbury in 1877, acting in a similar capacity. In 1881 bought the 'South Canterbury Times' an evening paper, and six years later he bought the 'Timaru Herald' from the 'Herald' company, taking possession on 30 April 1887. In February 1888 Mr Blackwell also became owner of the 'Herald'. Kerr ran both until ending the evening paper in 1901. Had 650 acre sheep and grain farm at Kingsdown. Lost his son Harry, aged 9, by drowning. He was attempting to save an 11 year old girl who had fallen into a stream. The Timaru Herald was a daily morning paper, 4 pages, 3100 copies circulated, 3 linotype machines in use. Editor is G G Fitzgerald, Kerr's son is the manager. Kerr's secondary occupation is a Flaxmill Contractor.
New Zealand Herald, 29 June 1942, Page 4
Timaru, Sunday The death has occurred of Mr. Edward George Kerr, aged 66. He had been managing director of the Timaru Herald Company since 1906. He is survived by his wife and three sons, Mr. E. G. Kerr, Timaru, Flying-Officer J. M. Kerr, who is a prisoner of war in Germany, and Captain R. H. Kerr, who is in camp.
29 December 2006 Timaru Herald
A large retail mall is to be developed on the former Alliance Textile mill on the corner of Bank and Arthur streets. Du Velle Properties Ltd has bought the building for $1.5 million and intends to redevelop it in three and half years when the current leases expire. A group spokesman has said the mall would have three or four major tenants, room for several boutique businesses and probably roof- top parking. The North Canterbury-based Du Velle group's main shareholders are two North Canterbury family trusts. Its name, although spelt differently, recognises the former mill's original architect Maurice De Haven Duval. News a building designed by his great-great- grandfather will be demolished by a company named after him was just another "surreal" event yesterday for visiting English honeymooner Alex Cox. While on honeymoon he was keen to find out about a mysterious ancestor he became aware of in an old photo of his mother's. Guided by a South Canterbury Museum researcher Alistair Pike, Mr Cox and his wife Cindy were shown buildings and documents connected to Mr Duval. They were overcome with the Belgian-born engineer's work and the respect he was held in. Mr Pike said the influence of the engineer and untrained architect's 19 years in South Canterbury endured. The Theatre Royal, St Marys in Geraldine, St Patricks in Fairlie, the old Gleniti School, Lisava House and Elloughton House are just a few examples of his enduring legacy. The couple are keen to continue researching Mr Duval's life when they return to Sussex.
Reference Number: PA1-f-195-78-5. Object #41732
View of Claremont house and grounds, Timaru, taken in 1902
Claremont, 222 Mt Horrible Rd, RD 2, Timaru, built in the fashionable neo gothic style on 4000 acres near Timaru in 1884 by
George Hampton Rhodes at the age of 23 as a wedding gift for his
French bride, Henrietta. Theirs was the first wedding celebrated in the
Christchurch Cathedral. Built of local bluestone and limestone by English
stonemasons and finished with imported mahogany windows and fireplaces and
stained glass feature windows from England. The roof is made of welsh slate
bought over as ships ballast. True to the neo Gothic Style no two door or window
sets in the house are the same. Upstairs were the private family rooms which
included the three main bedrooms, a nursery wing with adjoining door between the
Nanny's and children's rooms and 4 servants rooms.
(opens in another window)
includes a private chapel, and pool. The house includes a full sized billiards
room, library, morning room, formal ball room (now the formal dining room) and
the original glass conservatory was unfortunately removed during the mid 1940s.
The carved chalk Prince of Wales feathers on the roof peaks symbolize allegiance
to the crown were testament to the influence the Rhodes had in the early
chapters of NZ history.
History of Claremont, Timaru, New Zealand, 1867-1948 / by Len Selbie
Author Selbie, Len, b. 1887
Description Timaru [N.Z.] : Timaru Herald, 1948.
45 p.,  leaves of plates : ill., ports. ; 21 cm.
Progress, 2 May 1910, Page 243
TIMARU. M. T. COULTHARD MULLIONS, architect, Timaru, reports
Just completing granary, men's hut, and dip at Gordon's Valley for Mr. Elworthy, costing about £2000.
Addition to residence at Fairlie for Mr. H. Lecren; about £400.
New residence for the Rev. Mr. Chappie; about £650.
New residence Mrs. Sheiran, Fairlie; £450.
Shop and dwelling for Mr. Knott; £800.
Shop and offices for Mr. Hay. £2000.
Residence, Mrs. Wigley, £1200.
Residence, Mr. J. Flanagan, £550.
Shops at Fairlie, Mr. Goodwin, £1000.
In preparation plans for house for Mr. Timaru Rhodes, about £2000.
Woolshed for Mr. Elworthy, £500.
Presbyterian Church, Pleasant Point, £1200.
Bungalow at Pareora, Mr. Higginbotham; £700.
Mr. HERBERT HALL, architect, reports: Contracts let for residence,
Maori Hill: £607.
Brick residence, Otaio, £1128.
Brick shops, Stafford Street, £822.
In preparation: Two-story brick building for Major Spence, at Geraldine; £2730 (nearing completion).
Residence for Inspector Green; £630.
Residence for Mr. Boyee; £565.
Residence at Matukaika, £530.
Additions to shops in Church Street.
It looks French! In 1893 the late William Grant had built The Grange, a two-storeyed, 17-roomed mansion, on his estate Elloughton Grange, on the out shirts of Timaru. It was designed by the Maurice Duval, the French born architect, and today still stands and is well maintained but it has no visible chimneys so the roof line must have been altered. There is a spot on the roof to the right were corrugated iron has been used to cover the spot where the chimney use to be.
Many early settlers, named their New Zealand home after family property in the Old Country.
South Canterbury NZGenWeb